Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tories get a good turnout in the Rochester all posta

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tories get a good turnout in the Rochester all postal primary it’ll be a pointer to the by-election itself

On Thursday we’ll get the results of the unique all postal primary that the Tories have carried out to choose their Candidate for the November 20th Rochester & Strood by-election. This is the first time that any party has chosen a by-election candidate in this manner and for me the key number will be how many of the 70k+ electors in the constituency have actually participated.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    A genuine question: The Electoral Reform Society are a group with an obvious agenda. Their name makes that quite clear. Changing the electoral system is be their raison d'etre. They've even got the word "Fair" on their website which is right up there with "Health and Safety" and "Human Rights" for translating as "do-gooder buggering around with stuff with bad results"

So how have they ended up as the go-to default arbiter of so many internal elections? How have they got themselves into the (presumably lucrative) double position of campaigning busybodies and establishment insiders at the same time? Good marketing? Do they have respected rivals in this area? Am I stuck with them if I want to run a high profile internal vote and want to appear serious?

This is actually a genuine question although I'll concede it doesn't read like one in hindsight.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    I suspect, (and seem to recall) GeoffM, that it’s a bit of clever marketing. IIRC the part of the ERS which actually conducts ballots grew out of the section which ran demonstration ballots.

My professional body uses someone else (can’t recall who at the moment), but I’m not impressed with the way they do it, although they are rather hamstrung by the daft system that was foisted on us by some well meaning idiots from the DoH.

On topic, I’ve asked before why any party should run all-elector primaries. I don’t care very much who the Tory candidate is; I’m wildly unlikely to vote for him or her. Indeed, if I did bother to vote I’d probably vote for the least attractive candidate on the grounds that if they were the actual Parliamentary candidate it would give someone from the Left a better chance. If I were a Kipper in R&S I’d vote for the more liberal Tory on preceisely those grounds!
  • Options

I suspect, (and seem to recall) GeoffM, that it’s a bit of clever marketing. IIRC the part of the ERS which actually conducts ballots grew out of the section which ran demonstration ballots.

My professional body uses someone else (can’t recall who at the moment), but I’m not impressed with the way they do it, although they are rather hamstrung by the daft system that was foisted on us by some well meaning idiots from the DoH.

Thanks very much for that reply - the demonstration ballots evolution part seems very plausible. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    GeoffM said:

A genuine question: The Electoral Reform Society are a group with an obvious agenda. Their name makes that quite clear. Changing the electoral system is be their raison d'etre. They've even got the word "Fair" on their website which is right up there with "Health and Safety" and "Human Rights" for translating as "do-gooder buggering around with stuff with bad results"

So how have they ended up as the go-to default arbiter of so many internal elections? How have they got themselves into the (presumably lucrative) double position of campaigning busybodies and establishment insiders at the same time? Good marketing? Do they have respected rivals in this area? Am I stuck with them if I want to run a high profile internal vote and want to appear serious?

This is actually a genuine question although I'll concede it doesn't read like one in hindsight.

The ERS is campaigning for 'fair' votes. I believe that they are in favour of the Single Transferable Vote, or were at one point. They run elections using proportional systems for organisations that want the that sort of result (i.e. where most people's vote counts and where nobody can win on 30%). In running the elections the ERS is putting their expertise to use, raising some money for their organisation and providing an impartial and professional service for those who want it. These include the Church of England Synod.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Re ERS. It may be because...

i) they're the oldest electoral reform society in the world, founded 1884.
    ii) people trust them.
  • Options
    Re: ERS. I should have added that most of the elections they run are where a number of people get elected, so having people mark 1,2,3 rather than 'x' enables the overall result to reflect what those voting want. If you are electing 12 out of 50 say, this is a good method and avoids multiple run-off ballots.
  • Options

Re: ERS. I should have added that most of the elections they run are where a number of people get elected, so having people mark 1,2,3 rather than 'x' enables the overall result to reflect what those voting want. If you are electing 12 out of 50 say, this is a good method and avoids multiple run-off ballots.

I may be wrong, but I think I’ve seen ERS run FPTP elections, although obviously they don’t recommend them.
  • Options

I may be wrong, but I think I’ve seen ERS run FPTP elections, although obviously they don’t recommend them.
    Could well be, elections is their 'thing'. I think they ran elections for the IEE when I was a member - I'm pretty sure that was STV.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

On topic, I’ve asked before why any party should run all-elector primaries. I don’t care very much who the Tory candidate is; I’m wildly unlikely to vote for him or her. Indeed, if I did bother to vote I’d probably vote for the least attractive candidate on the grounds that if they were the actual Parliamentary candidate it would give someone from the Left a better chance. If I were a Kipper in R&S I’d vote for the more liberal Tory on preceisely those grounds!

Because you're not the target audience?

Most people are not committed to any individual party to the extent that you are.

To the extent they get engaged with the process, there will be a sense of "ownership" of the candidate which may, at the margin, encourage them to vote Tory in the main election

Moreover, if you have a problem whereby your activist base is not entirely intune with the general public and select candidate with a narrow appeal this may provide a route to address that issue. The only other approach to this problem is to drive all the activists away into a new party *innocent face*
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    The ERS ran the Tory leadership election in 2005 and the 2009 postal primaries. As Rod says they are trusted. They also do the Labour and LD elections. They are trusted.

What a stupid point GeoffM makes.

• Options

GeoffM said:

The ERS is campaigning for 'fair' votes. I believe that they are in favour of the Single Transferable Vote, or were at one point. They run elections using proportional systems for organisations that want the that sort of result (i.e. where most people's vote counts and where nobody can win on 30%). In running the elections the ERS is putting their expertise to use, raising some money for their organisation and providing an impartial and professional service for those who want it. These include the Church of England Synod.
    I'm not sure that the Synod's tripartate voting system is a good advert.

It may reflect all interests, but it's a disaster for anyone who actually wants to get anything done!
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    The ERS are undertaking the house of lords by-election today which taking place under AV, so lots of transfers.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Because you're not the target audience?

Most people are not committed to any individual party to the extent that you are.

To the extent they get engaged with the process, there will be a sense of "ownership" of the candidate which may, at the margin, encourage them to vote Tory in the main election

Moreover, if you have a problem whereby your activist base is not entirely intune with the general public and select candidate with a narrow appeal this may provide a route to address that issue. The only other approach to this problem is to drive all the activists away into a new party *innocent face*
    Charles, nowadays I feel I’m committed to a general position, rather than a party!

I agree with your last point; was talking to a member of the Management Committee of the local Labour Pary recently and she was concerned that some of the candidates they were seeing would not be in tune with local views, but had some central support!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Remember the YouGov question: "And who do you think is most to blame for the current spending cuts?"

The 36% today blaming "the last Labour government" is still near the top of the range from the second half of 2012, through 2013 and 2014.

No sign of this coming down recently.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/2l7w8ggk0w/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Government Cuts-061014.pdf
  • Options

The ERS ran the Tory leadership election in 2005 and the 2009 postal primaries. As Rod says they are trusted. They also do the Labour and LD elections. They are trusted.

Slightly less charitable than usual to-day, Mike?

• Options
    Millsy said:

Remember the YouGov question: "And who do you think is most to blame for the current spending cuts?"

The 36% today blaming "the last Labour government" is still near the top of the range from the second half of 2012, through 2013 and 2014.

No sign of this coming down recently.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/2l7w8ggk0w/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Government Cuts-061014.pdf

Doesn't mean much as need not include anyone who voted Labour in 1997.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    This is indeed an interesting, if expensive, experiment. One slight downside of having the Primary in a by election is that there has been limited time for the candidates to distinguish themselves and to give the electorate an informed choice. I, of course, am not local but the little I have gleaned is that it is quite hard to differentiate the two and this may well reduce participation.

Another downside is that it has meant that the Tories have not had candidate in place for what will prove to be a significant part of the campaign. If the primary impacts on peoples' consciousness then it may prove to be worth it but the exercise strikes me as brave, in the Yes Minister sense, in the most important by election of the Parliament.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is indeed an interesting, if expensive, experiment. One slight downside of having the Primary in a by election is that there has been limited time for the candidates to distinguish themselves and to give the electorate an informed choice. I, of course, am not local but the little I have gleaned is that it is quite hard to differentiate the two and this may well reduce participation.

Another downside is that it has meant that the Tories have not had candidate in place for what will prove to be a significant part of the campaign. If the primary impacts on peoples' consciousness then it may prove to be worth it but the exercise strikes me as brave, in the Yes Minister sense, in the most important by election of the Parliament.

Well I'm not sure that it's "braver" than imposing a candidate from the centre, given the circumstances. By-elections caused by the sitting MP switching Party tend to become "man versus machine" whatever the "betrayed" Party does. The real risk of a primary (whatever the Party) is that the postal ballots return a candidate the activists heartily dislike...

• Options
    Charles said:

GeoffM said:

It may reflect all interests, but it's a disaster for anyone who actually wants to get anything done!
    Yes, I wasn't making any point, just giving the facts.
    I guess it depends what you value most, 'fairness' or 'getting things done'. Of course if you're elected under an un'fair' system you may get the 'wrong' things done.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I know it's early in the morning, but your last paragraph rather lowers the tone doesn't it?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

DavidL said:

Well I'm not sure that it's "braver" than imposing a candidate from the centre, given the circumstances. By-elections caused by the sitting MP switching Party tend to become "man versus machine" whatever the "betrayed" Party does. The real risk of a primary (whatever the Party) is that the postal ballots return a candidate the activists heartily dislike...

I agree that this was not a case for parachuting someone in either (although a candidate who had fought a seat before might have been a bonus) but it would have been possible, indeed normal, for the constituency party to have chosen someone a month ago and to have worked in building up their profile since. Would that have achieved more or less in terms of profile than this exercise? The level of participation will indeed be a clue.

As I said it is interesting but choosing this election to do it is indeed "brave".
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Date for your diaries.
    The next PB gathering at Dirty Dicks will be on November 21st at 1830 - the day after the Rochester by election

Will it be a celebration or a wake?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Date for your diaries.
    The next PB gathering at Dirty Dicks will be on November 21st at 1830 - the day after the Rochester by election

Presumably it will be both.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    I think the Conservatives have been smart in choosing 1. local 2. women.

Whether it gives them a win we'll see, but something we shouldn't forget is that this will be a dry run for May 7th when I'd be very surprised if the Conservatives don't win. So whoever wins this ballot will almost certainly go on to be MP on May 8th even if not before.

That aside, this idea of primaries is interesting. Not many ideas successfully make the transatlantic crossing, but this might. Regardless what you think of the Tories, the idea of having a locally selected and therefore more accountable Member of Parliament has to be a major step forward in reform of Westminster.

Anyone who criticises it may have lost their electoral soul.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Charles said:

There may be the same problem of managed consultation that the Chinese are having in Hong Kong, where their offer of democratic choice is precisely that they'll pick two or three 'acceptable' people and folk can pick which one they like: the sense that it's a Tweedledum vs Tweedledee choice is pretty strong. I don't think one can expect any party to offer a choice ranging from trotskyist to fascist, but it'd be more interesting if one candidate was clearly more traditionalist and another more of a moderniser, say.

But in marketing terms it's still a good wheeze - in the absence of a strong local candidate, it gives whoever wins a good boost to profile and something of a personal vote. An Electoral Commission ruling on whether the cost of the selection counts towards spending limits would be a good idea - the Tories really need in fairness to know that before the election, or the winner could get disqualified.

BTW, although I support PR, I agree with GeoffM that the ERS does ride two horses, presenting themselves simultaneously as learned neutral experts and passionate campaigners. It's a clever trick but if I was anti-PR I'd be quite annoyed if they were used to count votes in anything I was involved in, since I believe the money goes to their campaigns.

• Options
    edited October 2014

Date for your diaries.

Both I would expect. Depends on point of view!

But 1830 might be appropriate for Kippers!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Hmm - a Friday.

I may be able to make the long journey south.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Morning all,

Personally I'm against these kind of open primaries. It undermines the benefits and purpose of being a party member, something we should be trying to encourage.

But, from the betting point of view, I'm sticking to the Tories, whoever comes out of this process. They really can't afford to lose this one.
  • Options

Date for your diaries.

Yay. I need a new excuse to buy some footwear.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I, of course, am not local but the little I have gleaned […]

As you're not local what's the point of posting this? Kelly is a Rochester councillor, mum and businesswoman. You don't know her because you don't live there.
  • Options

Date for your diaries.

Is that Bishopsgate? If so, I might even swing by for a little while...

• Options
    edited October 2014

It undermines the benefits and purpose of being a party member, something we should be trying to encourage.

Party membership is the last thing we should be trying to encourage. Precisely what we need to get away from are MPs who disregard the people by following three-line-whips in the Commons. We need much more transparency, accountability and local representation. The best MPs fight for their constituents of all persuasions and none, not a sad and sorry rump of sycophants.
  • Options

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

I guess it depends what you value most, 'fairness' or 'getting things done'. Of course if you're elected under an un'fair' system you may get the 'wrong' things done.
    TBH, I was just being slightly sarcastic about the structure of needing to get supermajorities in each of the three houses.

Now if those darn clergy would just do what their congregations (and bishops) want...
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited October 2014

That aside, this idea of primaries is interesting. Not many ideas successfully make the transatlantic crossing, but this might. Regardless what you think of the Tories, the idea of having a locally selected and therefore more accountable Member of Parliament has to be a major step forward in reform of Westminster.

Anyone who criticises it may have lost their electoral soul.

Primaries were mentioned in the coalition agreement. I don't think they went any further than that document.

"We will fund 200 all-postal primaries over this Parliament, targeted at seats which have not changed hands for many years. These funds will be allocated to all political parties with seats in Parliament that they take up, in proportion to their share of the total vote in the last general election."

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/78977/coalition_programme_for_government.pdf
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    edited October 2014
    Good morning, everyone.

Heard the first line of UKIP Calypso [edited for a typo] on Youtube just now. I refuse to subject myself to more.

That weekend is crammed full of stuff now.
    By-election
    Probable F1 title decider
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Gathering of the pbers
  • Options

Charles said:

There may be the same problem of managed consultation that the Chinese are having in Hong Kong, where their offer of democratic choice is precisely that they'll pick two or three 'acceptable' people and folk can pick which one they like: the sense that it's a Tweedledum vs Tweedledee choice is pretty strong. I don't think one can expect any party to offer a choice ranging from trotskyist to fascist, but it'd be more interesting if one candidate was clearly more traditionalist and another more of a moderniser, say.

But in marketing terms it's still a good wheeze - in the absence of a strong local candidate, it gives whoever wins a good boost to profile and something of a personal vote. An Electoral Commission ruling on whether the cost of the selection counts towards spending limits would be a good idea - the Tories really need in fairness to know that before the election, or the winner could get disqualified.

BTW, although I support PR, I agree with GeoffM that the ERS does ride two horses, presenting themselves simultaneously as learned neutral experts and passionate campaigners. It's a clever trick but if I was anti-PR I'd be quite annoyed if they were used to count votes in anything I was involved in, since I believe the money goes to their campaigns.

The only alternative would be completely open primaries (not sure how those would work in practice to avoid cranks making a farce of it). Giving activists the right to select the short-list doesn't seem that unreasonable though.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

TBH, I was just being slightly sarcastic about the structure of needing to get supermajorities in each of the three houses.

Now if those darn clergy would just do what their congregations (and bishops) want...
    No. I have a very good friend who desperately wants a parish of her own, but anyone less suitable for the job I can scarcely imagine...

• Options

It undermines the benefits and purpose of being a party member, something we should be trying to encourage.

Party membership is the last thing we should be trying to encourage. Precisely what we need to get away from are MPs who disregard the people by following three-line-whips in the Commons. We need much more transparency, accountability and local representation. The best MPs fight for their constituents of all persuasions and none, not a sad and sorry rump of sycophants.
    No, we need fewer "local heroes" at Westminster, and more with a coherent idea of how the government should be run.
  • Options

Date for your diaries.

Nah - I reckon it's more like 1819 than 1830. You could make a case for 1829 as well.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Charles said:

UKIP would be nuts to challenge a Conservative victory on the ground that the cost of a primary counted towards spending limits. They'd look anti-democratic and like bad losers. It would be Winchester 1997 all over again, with the added disadvantage that they'd look like the typical political party that they profess not to be.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Heard the first line of UKIP Calypso [edited for a typo] on Youtube just now. I refuse to subject myself to more.

That weekend is crammed full of stuff now.
    By-election
    Probable F1 title decider
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Gathering of the pbers

You should check out link 19 on last night's nighthawks.

Was done especially for you.
  • Options
    Betting Post

Three tennis tips.

Wozniacki to beat Sharapova in the BNP Paribas Finals at 3.15. They're 3:5 in Sharapova's favour, but 3:3 on hard courts. Whilst Sharapova had the best tournament running up to this one (winning the China Open), Wozniacki's reached two finals and a semi, including the final of the US Open.

Backed Isner to beat Robredo at 1.85, in the Valencia Open 500. He's got a 3:0 record, two of those wins coming this year.

Also backed Kvitova to beat Radwanska in straight sets, BNP Paribas Finals, at 1.89. Kvitova has a 5:1 winning record, and 4 wins out of those 6 matches were in straight sets. The one she dropped a set on was on grass (they're playing hard court) where she has a 4 out of 5 straight set record.

For those knew to pb.com, my tennis tips are very patchey, so it's entirely possible all of these could fail. Or come off.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

No, we need fewer "local heroes" at Westminster, and more with a coherent idea of how the government should be run.
    Twaddle. You think being a party sycophant makes you a good MP, capable of running 'the government' [sic]? You're exactly what has gone wrong with Westminster. Professional politicians are the worst kind. You'll be telling us next that they should all have gone to Oxford and read PPE.

Locally elected MPs, who listen to their constituents and who feed back to them (accountability) is the answer.

No single party has a monopoly on truth. The best MPs know that and speak and act accordingly. The very best realise that for most people party politics is deathly dull and has bog-all to do with most people in the real world. It's partly this mood which UKIP is so successfully tapping into.

Less than 1% of the UK electorate are party members and it's falling. You and your ideas are a relic of an era long since faded.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, what a shame I wasn't on last night, then.

One trusts another learned pber corrected your historical failings?
  • Options

Twaddle. You think being a party sycophant makes you a good MP, capable of running 'the government' [sic]? You're exactly what has gone wrong with Westminster. Professional politicians are the worst kind. You'll be telling us next that they should all have gone to Oxford and read PPE.

Locally elected MPs, who listen to their constituents and who feed back to them, accountability, is the answer.

No single party has a monopoly on truth. The best MPs know that and speak and act accordingly. The very best realise that party politics is deathly dull and has bog-all to do with most people in the real world. It's partly this mood which UKIP is so successfully tapping into.
    I agree with you both.

The problem is the expansion of the Crown-In-Parliament so that it now dominates the legislature.

We need local MPs (@audreyanne) to represent their constituents and hold the government to account.

We need talented and thoughtful MPs with an ability and interest to become ministers (@another_dave)

The time has come to split the executive and legislature.
  • Options

Locally elected MPs, who listen to their constituents and who feed back to them (accountability) is the answer.

No single party has a monopoly on truth. The best MPs know that and speak and act accordingly. The very best realise that for most people party politics is deathly dull and has bog-all to do with most people in the real world. It's partly this mood which UKIP is so successfully tapping into.

Less than 1% of the UK electorate are party members and it's falling. You and your ideas are a relic of an era long since faded.
    I'd like to know how this paragon deals with neighbour disputes.

Have a think, AudreyAnne, about how & why Parties got created in the first place. Hint: the "rotten boroughs" of the pre-1832 system didn't really have party politics.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,444

Date for your diaries.

I'll see if I can make it.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Human Rights Watch says our proxies, whom we arm and fund, in the Ukrainian civil war have used cluster bombs to shell residential area.

http://m.hrw.org/news/2014/10/20/ukraine-widespread-use-cluster-munitions

Still I guess talk of submarines in Stockholm distracts from the on going civilian deaths in Eastern Ukraine.
  • Options
    The Times has what looks like an interesting poll. Attitudes to immigration by constituency.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4242712.ece

(I don't subscribe to The Times, so I don't know what it says!)
  • Options
    Audreyanne

The vast majority of MPs (incl all of the Opposition) are not involved in governing. They're lobby fodder. So, yes, being a good representative of local views is needed.

But....a smaller number form the government. We need 100 or more people who can run the country. We then run the risk of having sympathetic dinner ladies at the home office or cheerful postmen as chancellor or wonky effwits as PM. We must somehow find a route into politics for people with the capacity to lead and to govern well. We're pretty much failing at this (Labour much more so than the Tories) but a 'local only' approach to candidates kind of guarantees that the country will be run by incompetents.
  • Options

Have a think, AudreyAnne, about how & why Parties got created in the first place. Hint: the "rotten boroughs" of the pre-1832 system didn't really have party politics.

This is 2014 not 1832. I don't know where you live but here in Britain the media have come on a bit in the last 200 years. MPs get caught fiddling with their expenses and their dicks.

We no longer have rotten boroughs. We have rotten Westminster.

Transparency, electability and accountability are the only way the current system will be saved: MPs who represent all their constituents, who are prepared to fight for them in Parliament, who can be called to account, and sacked, by their constituents, who don't simply listen to the tub thumpers in their own party, but who fight for local concerns and causes, as well as feed back national ones.

If postal primaries are a small way of contributing to that, as I think may be the case, then I welcome them.

The best MPs have always been the ones who don't serve the party or their own egos but who genuinely fight for causes even when it costs them. There are very very few like that. Tam Dalyell comes to mind as one. Perhaps Frank Field another.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Charles said:

The time has come to split the executive and legislature.

No, I don't like the daft grandstanding that brings when the executive and legislature are in conflict that you see in other countries, such as the US. With our system it's much clearer, because if the Executive does not have the Confidence of the legislature then it falls.

What I would do is to limit the number of Executive appointments that could be made, so that MPs with government jobs become a smaller proportion of the legislature.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

The Times has what looks like an interesting poll. Attitudes to immigration by constituency.

One quote says, "Clacton, the constituency won ten days ago by Ukip’s first elected MP, Douglas Carswell, is the most eurosceptic in the country, the study found: an estimated 75 per cent of constituents would vote to leave the EU. "
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Patrick said:

Audreyanne

The vast majority of MPs (incl all of the Opposition) are not involved in governing. They're lobby fodder. So, yes, being a good representative of local views is needed.

But....a smaller number form the government. We need 100 or more people who can run the country. We then run the risk of having sympathetic dinner ladies at the home office or cheerful postmen as chancellor or wonky effwits as PM. We must somehow find a route into politics for people with the capacity to lead and to govern well. We're pretty much failing at this (Labour much more so than the Tories) but a 'local only' approach to candidates kind of guarantees that the country will be run by incompetents.

Perhaps better than most of the present lot who often have very little experience outside of politics and are not in it for the benefit of their constituents or their country. We need more free-thinkers who can look forward and not back.
  • Options

MPs fight for their constituents of all persuasions and none, not a sad and sorry rump of sycophants.
    Twaddle. You think being a party sycophant makes you a good MP, capable of running 'the government' [sic]? You're exactly what has MPs know that and speak and act accordingly. The very best realise that for most people party politics is deathly dull and has bog-all to do with most people in the real world. It's partly this mood which UKIP is so successfully tapping into.

This is 2014 not 1832. I don't know where you live but here in Britain the media have come on a bit in the last 200 years. MPs get caught fiddling with their expenses and their dicks.

We no longer have rotten boroughs. We have rotten Westminster.

Transparency, electability and accountability are the only way the current system will be saved: MPs who represent all their constituents, who are prepared to fight for them in Parliament, who can be called to account, and sacked, by their constituents, who don't simply listen to the tub thumpers in their own party, but who fight for local concerns and causes, as well as feed back national ones.

If postal primaries are a small way of contributing to that, as I think may be the case, then I welcome them.

The best MPs have always been the ones who don't serve the party or their own egos but who genuinely fight for causes even when it costs them. There are very very few like that. Tam Dalyell comes to mind as one. Perhaps Frank Field another.
    I wouldn't have said that Frank Field was lacking in the egotism department!

My previous point was that Parties are a consequence of large electorates - before 1832 there was a Party system in the larger counties and the few borough seats with a wide electorate (household franchise) but only nominally in the smaller boroughs, some of which of course had only a few dozen electors (and Old Sarum famously none at all!).

I have no issue whatsoever with postal primaries, I assure you - what's interesting (to me at least) is that none of the Parties will make them compulsory!

• Options

Mr. Eagles, what a shame I wasn't on last night, then.

One trusts another learned pber corrected your historical failings?

Everybody was in awe of my historical knowledge.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, your knowledge is certainly awful.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    lol

so the bloke who told women IT workers not to push for pay rises, trousers $86million.

Well I suppose if force your wage bill down ........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/11176043/Microsoft-boss-who-said-women-shouldnt-ask-for-pay-rises-is-paid-86m.html
  • Options
    http://consortiumnews.com/2014/10/20/germans-clear-russia-in-mh-17-case/

Would take the BND with a pinch of salt, but clearly saying the US and Kiev were lying, again. Of course the conversation between ATC and the pilots still not released. Best case scenario Kiev put the flight in harm's way and/or a military jet was using the plane as cover, BBC recorded eye witnesses saying they saw a military jet underneath.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yep probably, and sadly, true about Frank Field. Glad no-one so far has taken a pop at Tam Dalyell. Great man in my book.

So who are the great parliamentarians of the last 50 years would we say? And to ask a slightly different but interesting question:
    Who would you have voted for as your MP even if they didn't represent the party of your choice? Is there anyone who would have ticked (or rather crossed!) that box?
  • Options
    Ken Clarke helpfully encouraging defections:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29702449
  • Options
    Miss Anne, I would've voted for Gwyneth Dunwoody, probably.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Can we really have a situatyion where Labour could win a GE with less than 30% of the vote? If this happened anywhere else in the world the UK government would be protesting about rigged elections! How long can this absurdity continue? How credible would such a government be?
  • Options

Just look at the graph underneath, immigration has soared under this Gov't. Whether this is a good or bad thing is left as an exercise to the reader, but that is a sharp uptick in net migration.
  • Options
    Financier said:

One quote says, "Clacton, the constituency won ten days ago by Ukip’s first elected MP, Douglas Carswell, is the most eurosceptic in the country, the study found: an estimated 75 per cent of constituents would vote to leave the EU. "
    The source for that might be the "estimating constituency opinion" website:

"...we use information from Waves 1 and 2 of the British Election Study, which rely on fieldwork carried out as late as June of this year. (We can therefore rule out the possibility that Clacton’s Euroskepticism is a result of Carswell’s defection rather than a potential cause).

By examining responses to a question on vote intention in a future Brexit referendum, and combining this with information on respondents’ and constituencies’ demographics, we can produce estimates of the percentage of respondents in each constituency who would favour exiting the EU. "

http://constituencyopinion.org.uk/uncategorized/clacton-is-the-most-euroskeptic-constituency-in-the-uk/

http://constituencyopinion.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/euroscepticism.xls
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    FalseFlag said:

Human Rights Watch says our proxies, whom we arm and fund, in the Ukrainian civil war have used cluster bombs to shell residential area.

http://m.hrw.org/news/2014/10/20/ukraine-widespread-use-cluster-munitions

Still I guess talk of submarines in Stockholm distracts from the on going civilian deaths in Eastern Ukraine.

Still they are helping the economy recover
  • Options

Yep probably, and sadly, true about Frank Field. Glad no-one so far has taken a pop at Tam Dalyell. Great man in my book.

So who are the great parliamentarians of the last 50 years would we say? And to ask a slightly different but interesting question:
    Who would you have voted for as your MP even if they didn't represent the party of your choice? Is there anyone who would have ticked (or rather crossed!) that box?

Ken Clarke, probably.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited October 2014
    3 Years suspended....Happy Oscar
  • Options
    Almost ready for .......

!Oscar Time!

Judging by R5L in the car and what I'm reading on the BBC website a prison sentence seems inevitable.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, the Pistorious trial has only strengthened my conviction (ahem) that we should not allow cameras into UK courtrooms. We'll end up with saturation coverage. We had it over this bloody case, which didn't involve anyone British and didn't occur in Britain. It was bloody tedious (the BBC was less awful than Sky, it must be said, who went bloody nuts over it).
  • Options
    MD..Sky aint finished yet..they will drag it out for a few more hours of cheap airtime.
  • Options

3 Years suspended....Happy Oscar

9.30am
    09:30
    'Suspended sentence not appropriate'

Masipa: The present case is so serious that a suspended sentence would not be appropriate in my view.

Err Are you sure Mr Dodd ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Mr. Pulpstar, the Pistorious trial has only strengthened my conviction (ahem) that we should not allow cameras into UK courtrooms. We'll end up with saturation coverage. We had it over this bloody case, which didn't involve anyone British and didn't occur in Britain. It was bloody tedious (the BBC was less awful than Sky, it must be said, who went bloody nuts over it).

Are Uk courts procedures as boring and as mind numbingly anal as SA courts ? Why didn't she rock up - put a black hanky on her head and send him to Devil's island then release a written judgement to be ignored by all but those who cannot sleep ?
  • Options
    What Councils should setup are controlled systems for voters to vote electronically. If Banks can do mobile banking why cannot Councils run voting in that way? After it was setup the administration costs for future elections would be radically cut back and results available at 10.05pm on election night.
  • Options
    2 years I reckon
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Oscar gets 5 years prison
  • Options
    PS..Local TV reporter...in Italy..
  • Options

Oscar gets 5 years prison

That means he is out in 10 months :) ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Smart move to have two women candidates indeed. Women seem far more UKIP-agnostic.

The primary is also a good way to keep more local activists engaged rather than following Reckless.
  • Options

Absolutely right.
  • Options
    Mr. Dodd, I know. Bah.

Mr. Flashman (deceased), under the wise governance of the Morris Dancer Party our trebuchet-based justice system would give criminals a short, sharp shock which would strongly deter them from re-offending.

And if they did re-offend, the space cannon would ensure it did not happen again.
  • Options

Ken Clarke, probably.

I would have voted for the strongest opponent to Clarke. ERM, Euro.. Thatcher... the number of fundamental issues the man was wrong on and the damage he wreaked and could have wreaked (Euro).
  • Options
    5 yrs and 3 yrs suspended for 5 yrs.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Some might think that 5 years is rather light, having listened to the evidence.

I wonder if some young black guy in Soweto would get just five years for offing Her Indoors?
  • Options
    Disappointing PSBR numbers... again....
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    It's looking like the Republicans have wrapped up the Arkansas senate race. To retain the Senate, the Democrats are probably going to have to win both Iowa and Colorado, which isn't looking likely.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Some might think that 5 years is rather light, having listened to the evidence.

I wonder if some young black guy in Soweto would get just five years for offing Her Indoors?

Could be in the interesting situation of both the prosecution and the defence appealing.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

The theory is that the more Conservatives who switch to UKIP, the better the Conservatives' electoral chances.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    PSNB ex was £11.8 billion in September 2014, an increase of £1.6 billion compared with September 2013.
  • Options

Mr. Dodd, I know. Bah.

Mr. Flashman (deceased), under the wise governance of the Morris Dancer Party our trebuchet-based justice system would give criminals a short, sharp shock which would strongly deter them from re-offending.

And if they did re-offend, the space cannon would ensure it did not happen again.

The short, sharp shock doesn't work very effectively in practice. It generally turns delinquent youths into hardened tough guys with plenty of criminal contacts. The reoffending data suggests that both community sentences and long sentences are better than short sentences. Once you put criminals away, you should do it for a long time.
  • Options
    Mr. Socrates, to be fair, the shocks under my system would be firstly that of being flung into the North Sea from a trebuchet, and secondly from being fired into the heart of the sun from a giant artillery gun.

Mr. F, vielleicht. I suspect Clarke's calculation is that the more sceptics shift to UKIP the better the chance for his brand of discredited EU-philia to make a comeback, or at least shift the balance of the party that way. Smacks of putting the EU ahead of his party or country to me.
  • Options

PSNB ex was £11.8 billion in September 2014, an increase of £1.6 billion compared with September 2013.

Substantial fiscal consolidation required for the next government.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29700457
    Oscar Pistorius jailed for five years

The whole rigmarole is f***ng disgusting. If the bastard had been born with legs he would have got life, or hung.
  • Options
    Mr Clarke said a section of the population was "bigoted and anti-foreigners" and that some politicians "arouse prejudice", but: "Most people, particularly young people, understand that we're in a global economy, you get used to people who don't speak your language, and you do meet people who are foreign."

What a scumbag Ken Clarke is, doing the whole "if you have an issue with immigration you are a bigot" nonsense. Presumably he met a fair few people who were foreign when he was trying to sell addictive health-damaging products to the world's poorest?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Disappointing PSBR numbers... again....

I found this of interest - and you can blame the LDs ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/tax/11162272/If-Britain-is-booming-why-is-the-deficit-growing.html

"From the Treasury’s perspective, the Coalition’s signature policy – raising the income tax threshold – has actually made things worse. Taking the low-paid out of income tax, and reducing it for millions of others, is a wholly admirable idea. But it does mean that you haven’t got that much of their income left to tax"

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    MikeK said:

The whole rigmarole is f***ng disgusting. If the bastard had been born with legs he would have got life, or hung.

O_o .... ok ....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    From my top of the head calculations, totnes returns were 77% of the Tory vote and gosport was 55%

A decent guess at the turnout in the by election is needed I think... If we assume 50% then a 15-20% return of primaries woul almost make this a certain conservative win I think... May have mucked this up though...

If 15% of primaries are returned, and they are 75% of the Tory vote, turnout is 50%...

That would put the Tories on 40% of the vote wouldn't it? Which means they'll win

And that's a low end

I think if 15% are returned ukip should worry
  • Options
    MikeK said:

He wouldn't have hung, the death penalty was abolished in South Africa in 1995.

I'm not saying he shouldn't...
  • Options
    Mr. Socrates, easier to win a debate if you narrow the battlefield of discourse by painting those who do not share any part of your opinion as bigoted. You don't need to address their points then.

However, I think this approach is happily starting to fail dramatically. This is partly why UKIP's rising, and why (a similar issue though not identical) the foul Eagles got turned on by the audience in Question Time. Using political correctness to frame debates and identify 'acceptable' opinions is starting to lose its power.
This discussion has been closed.