Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rochester & Strood looks set to bigger even than Eastleigh

Comments

• JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 19s19 seconds ago

Vintage Gordon Brown in commons on devo debate-winding up Tory backbench, quoting Lincoln + the Bible, notes covered in black marker scrawl
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited October 2014
    Danny565 said:

I really can't see how UKIP could fail to win this. Have people seen UKIP's results in Kent in the European elections?

The Tories on here have mistaken their own hatred for Reckless for the public's opinion.

The UKIP Euro results are very similar to Clacton
    The Tories smeared Carswell until they knew he would win
    They are now pretending they didn't smear Carswell and "Reckless is different"
    UKIPs chances of winning this are boosted last weeks by election results

Medway Tories are following Reckless
    http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/three_more_jump_from_medway_tories_to_ukip_1_3806236?usurv=skip

To be honest, if it wasn't for being taken in by listening to Tories on here say how much they hate Reckless, I would predict a 10-15 point UKIP win

There is no polling or statistical reason for thinking the Tories will win, just that the Tories REALLY want to win

So what?

I said UKIP would piss up in Clacton when Carswell defected and was told I was wrong.. Lots of Tories said the value bet was the Tories, or even Labour at 4/1!!

My gut instinct is an easy UKIP win... double figures

• TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2014
    JBriskin said:

Vintage Gordon Brown in commons on devo debate-winding up Tory backbench, quoting Lincoln + the Bible, notes covered in black marker scrawl

Brown in the Commons - are you sure?

The number of times he's appeared in the House since 2010 could almost be into double figures. Such value for money.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    antifrank said:

@RichardNabavi A masterclass. If you were really unlucky, UKIP might win on 38/39% of the vote.

Pulpstar's By-Election Betting position.

UKIP + £5.85
    Tory + £28.50

Line betting:

UKIP 30-35% +£20
    UKIP 40-45% +£17.50

Any other -£15

• surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

OK, let's apply the same kind of guesstimate as last time.

Rochester & Strood 2010: Con 49.2%, Lab 28.5%, LD 16%, English Democrats 4.5%, Green 1.5%.

LD are going to collapse, Lab are going to fall back considerably. Let's assume Lab go down to 18%, LD to 3%. I'm going to allocate those lost Lab voters equally to Tory + UKIP as they tactically vote against each other. I'm going to do the same for the lost LibDems except slightly more LibDems will go Tory, especially if it's a nice local girl like Cllr Tolhurst, who won't scare the horses. So 5%+7% to the Tory tally, 5%+6% to the UKIP tally. I'm also going to give all the English Democrats to Reckless (he's welcome to them!). So far 12% Tory, 16% UKIP.

Now the big one. In Clacton I guessed two-thirds for Carswell, one third staying loyally blue. There's no way it's going to be anything like that this time, with Reckless much less popular and regarded as unpleasantly disloyal in a way Carswell wasn't, and with the Tories throwing the kitchen sink at it. I'm going to guesstimate the shares will be the other way round. That's 33% for the Tories and 16% for UKIP.

Net guesstimate:

Con 45%
    UKIP 32%
    Lab 18%
    Other 5%

If you assume the Tory vote splitting 50-50, it ends up with Con 37% UKIP 40%.

My conclusion is that UKIP 30% to 35% at 6/1 is an absolute snip, but 35-40% and 40% to 45% are reasonable bets too. I'd be amazed if the winner is not one of those three.

Also note that you can get 3/1 (or even more if you're patient on Betfair) on the Tories winning. If the Tories win UKIP will be in the 30% to 40% range. A combination bet of the Tories winning outright and UKIP on 40% to 45% would seem to cover most of the probability distribution.

How are you split between Reality and Outright Denial ?
  • manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    And so it begins:

Conservative Party open primary in Rochester and Strood likened to Beijing candidate selection in Hong Kong

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/tories-candidate-selection-condemned-as-25154/

Meanwhile Dave demonstrates how local the primary is and how rich the Tories are by sending a letter to every constituent in Rochester & Strood (& he claims UKIP are trying to turn the by election into a national media circus)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/10/pm-warns-rochester-and-strood-voters-against-ukips-national-media-circus
    Fwiw I expect UKIP to win with just over 40% of the vote, but Conservatives and 30-35% bands are value right now.

JBriskin said:

Brown in the Commons - are you sure?

The number of times he's appeared in the House since 2010 could almost be into double figures. Such value for money.
    Yes, confirmed by freeview Bbc parly channel. Here's some more for you-

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 2m2 minutes ago

Right now, Labour can gamble that Tories won't be able to make#evel a big issue - it's not right now, but could they make it at gen elex?

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 3m3 minutes ago

Brown's aguments on Scotland rather clearer than Lab front bench position on what to do about #evel -

• SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    There is also a thing or two that people forget and that is candidates.
    There hasn't been any anti-UKIP tactical vote before or since Newark so it strengthens my argument that it was an anti-Helmer vote rather that an anti-UKIP vote, Reckless isn't Helmer, second the Tories have a huge men problem not a women problem in the constituency.
    Almost half of all men in Rochester are voting UKIP according to the opinion poll.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,503
    edited October 2014
    isam said:

Danny565 said:

I really can't see how UKIP could fail to win this. Have people seen UKIP's results in Kent in the European elections?

The Tories on here have mistaken their own hatred for Reckless for the public's opinion.

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/three_more_jump_from_medway_tories_to_ukip_1_3806236?usurv=skip

To be honest, if it wasn't for being taken in by listening to Tories on here say how much they hate Reckless, I would predict a 10-15 point UKIP win

There is no polling or statistical reason for thinking the Tories will win, just that the Tories REALLY want to win

So what?

I said UKIP would piss up in Clacton when Carswell defected and was told I was wrong.. Lots of Tories said the value bet was the Tories, or even Labour at 4/1!!

First Survation Poll in Clacton had Carswell 44% ahead, First Survation poll in R&S had Reckless ahead by 9%.

As with Newark, Survation had UKIP too high, and the Tories too low.

On a 44% lead, that's nothing, on a 9%, that means it is game on.
  • FWIW BBC Have your Say on EVEL extremely bad for labour, ALL the "most popular" comments are slamming them for their anti-democratic stance in opposing it.

Which in my view is entirely fair enough. They'll be arguing against equal constituency sizes next...
  • audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

Erm … I just posted that I thought it was an astonishing post by Richard. I too would make Reckless favourite.

However, I think you're over-egging it a bit. You think he will poll more than the 9% opinion poll lead he had before the Conservatives selected their candidate and announced, unlike Clacton, that they will throw the kitchen sink at this one? Remember they gave up Clacton from the word go. Reckless is also nowhere near as popular as Carswell.

But 50-75% of Carswell's vote share Richard? Wow, I hope you're right.
    edited October 2014

Net guesstimate:

Con 45%
    UKIP 32%
    Lab 18%
    Other 5%

Do you fancy a side bet at EVEN money?

I will take UKIP -5% you get the Tories +5%?

I reckon:

UKIP 42%
    Con 34%
    Lab 18%

Right now ^_~
  • How times change - 20 years ago, UKIP stood in its first electoral contest, and got only 1.7% at the Eastleigh By-election that year. The candidate?

One N. Farage :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastleigh_by-election,_1994

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

First Survation Poll in Clacton had Carswell 44%, First Survation poll in R&S had Reckless ahead by 9%.

I disagree, the constituency polls where accurate in Clacton.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,584
    surbiton said:

OK, let's apply the same kind of guesstimate as last time.

Rochester & Strood 2010: Con 49.2%, Lab 28.5%, LD 16%, English Democrats 4.5%, Green 1.5%.

LD are going to collapse, Lab are going to fall back considerably. Let's assume Lab go down to 18%, LD to 3%. I'm going to allocate those lost Lab voters equally to Tory + UKIP as they tactically vote against each other. I'm going to do the same for the lost LibDems except slightly more LibDems will go Tory, especially if it's a nice local girl like Cllr Tolhurst, who won't scare the horses. So 5%+7% to the Tory tally, 5%+6% to the UKIP tally. I'm also going to give all the English Democrats to Reckless (he's welcome to them!). So far 12% Tory, 16% UKIP.

Now the big one. In Clacton I guessed two-thirds for Carswell, one third staying loyally blue. There's no way it's going to be anything like that this time, with Reckless much less popular and regarded as unpleasantly disloyal in a way Carswell wasn't, and with the Tories throwing the kitchen sink at it. I'm going to guesstimate the shares will be the other way round. That's 33% for the Tories and 16% for UKIP.

Net guesstimate:

Con 45%
    UKIP 32%
    Lab 18%
    Other 5%

My conclusion is that UKIP 30% to 35% at 6/1 is an absolute snip, but 35-40% and 40% to 45% are reasonable bets too. I'd be amazed if the winner is not one of those three.

Also note that you can get 3/1 (or even more if you're patient on Betfair) on the Tories winning. If the Tories win UKIP will be in the 30% to 40% range. A combination bet of the Tories winning outright and UKIP on 40% to 45% would seem to cover most of the probability distribution.

How are you split between Reality and Outright Denial ?
    Well this is the man who as late as yesterday was insisting Lansley reforms were good for the NHS so I guess 1% reality 99% denial

and I am being generous on the 1%
    Pulpstar said:

Fwiw I expect UKIP to win with just over 40% of the vote, but Conservatives and 30-35% bands are value right now.

Sounds about right Pulpstar. If I may be so bold - did you make money from the last double by-election, last week?

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

First Survation Poll in Clacton had Carswell 44% ahead, First Survation poll in R&S had Reckless ahead by 9%.

I will offer you the same bet

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    edited October 2014

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

I think you forgot to mention that the Tories had an 8 point lead in the Newark poll which made it somewhat different to the Rochester poll.
  • SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    More "three wise monkeys"?
    That is the real scandal of child abuse. No one wants to believe it is going on, and it is not specific to one party or community.

"Child abuse inquiry to examine claims John Major’s government failed to act"

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/14/child-abuse-inquiry-claims-john-major-government-refused-act-cyril-smith
    JBriskin said:

Pulpstar said:

Sounds about right Pulpstar. If I may be so bold - did you make money from the last double by-election, last week?

A teeny tiny bit.

But it all adds up, did more betting on May 2015 last week to be honest.
    You're banned from Guardian links as well Smarmy...
    edited October 2014

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

Erm … I just posted that I thought it was an astonishing post by Richard. I too would make Reckless favourite.

However, I think you're over-egging it a bit. You think he will poll more than the 9% opinion poll lead he had before the Conservatives selected their candidate and announced, unlike Clacton, that they will throw the kitchen sink at this one? Remember they gave up Clacton from the word go. Reckless is also nowhere near as popular as Carswell.

The 9% opinion poll lead was also before last weeks two results which have made UKIP a much more respectable choice.

The Tory candidate will be one of two people no one has heard of. Might as well be still unannounced

But money where mouth is, as always

Tory +5
    UKIP -5

EVEN MONEY
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    Why is Gordon Brown trending on Twitter?

Is it cos he has turned up at Westminster for a change?
  • isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

I think you forgot to mention that the Tories had an 8 point lead in the Newark poll which made it somewhat different to the Rochester poll.
    That reaffirms my point.

Survation because of their methodology have UKIP too high and the Tories too low.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

OTOH, Survation understated UKIP by 8% in Heywood & Middleton.

• SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited October 2014
    @JBriskin
    I call bullshit on your attempts to stifle the true voice of the proletariat!
    *Sings two lines of the Red Flag, and mumbles the rest*
    Pulpstar said:

JBriskin said:

Pulpstar said:

A teeny tiny bit.

But it all adds up, did more betting on May 2015 last week to be honest.
    Rocking - Greeny green.

I shall try my best to contribute to Team PB in a suitable manner.

edited October 2014
    This thread is an example of why hatred leads to strategic error.
    The Tory party leadership hates UKIP, we all know it.
    In Rochester that hatred has lead to campaign errors, some errors that where seen in Clacton too:

1. Picking a female candidate when you have a men problem.
    2. Sending a letter from the PM to all constituents to vote for the Tory candidate when they aspire for Labour votes and ignoring the fact that UKIP voters hate his guts.
    3. Thinking that people will think that Reckless is a monster from Mars if the Tory party says so, when he has been their MP for quite a while so they know him already.
    4. Focusing too much on candidates rather that policies, see 1&3.
  • isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    No thank you, I'm happy with my position in R&S

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

That reaffirms my point.

Survation because of their methodology have UKIP too high and the Tories too low.
    If Survation are as wrong in Rochester as they were in Clacton, Reckless wins by 7.2%
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,584
    Pulpstar said:

I reckon:

UKIP 42%
    Con 34%
    Lab 18%

Right now ^_~

But TSE is going to win this fir the Tories surely.

I go 45%/30%/20% same order as yourself but i think that result might also herald further defections.

I guess the kitchen sink strategy is designed to narrow the defeat and put off defectors
    Smarmeron said:

@JBriskin
    I call bullshit on your attempts to stifle the true voice of the proletariat!
    *Sings two lines of the Red Flag, and mumbles the rest*

Lol - we were watching the F1 at the weekend as well Smarmy :)

• Sean_F said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

OTOH, Survation understated UKIP by 8% in Heywood & Middleton.

I think Lord Ashcroft explained it best, why he and Survation were so out on Heywood and Middleton.
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Speedy said:

In Rochester that hatred has lead to campaign errors, some errors that where seen in Clacton too:

2. Sending a letter from the PM to all constituents to vote for the Tory candidate when they aspire for Labour votes and ignoring the fact that UKIP voters hate his guts.
    3. Thinking that people will think that Reckless is a monster from Mars if the Tory party says so, when he has been their MP for quite a while so they know him already.

Does ukip have any policies?

edited October 2014
    Email from Bet 365

bet365 is committed to Responsible Gambling
    Gambling should be an enjoyable leisure activity. As a responsible gambling operator we'd like to remind you that we provide a range of options to help customers manage their account.

Information on Keeping Control
    Whilst the majority of people do gamble within their means, for some, gambling can become a problem. It may help you to keep control to remember the following:

Gambling should be entertaining and not seen as a way of making money.

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    Me too

You don't think the Tories will win with a 5 point start?
    Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

Gambling should be an enjoyable leisure activity. As a responsible gambling operator we'd like to remind you that we provide a range of options to help customers manage their account.

Whilst the majority of people do gamble within their means, for some, gambling can become a problem. It may help you to keep control to remember the following:

Bet365 are very very cool. At the very least they remind me how many days there are in the year.

Pulpstar said:

I reckon:

UKIP 42%
    Con 34%
    Lab 18%

Right now ^_~

But TSE is going to win this fir the Tories surely.

I go 45%/30%/20% same order as yourself but i think that result might also herald further defections.

I guess the kitchen sink strategy is designed to narrow the defeat and put off defectors
    The kitchen sink strategy is now to avoid Cameron being ousted as leader.
    Which is another thing that goes into UKIP's favor, many people within the Tory party want to get rid of Cameron.
  • Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

Stan James had the best terms and conditions on their site.

The Free Bet offer is not available to the following accounts and Stan James reserves the right to cancel an entry to the promotion, terminate any account and withhold any promotional benefits at any time and/ or take such other action as it deems appropriate in its absolute discretion, in particular but without limitation in respect of the following accounts:(i) accounts using Neteller or Skrill (Moneybookers) to fund their StanJames.com account; or(ii) accounts that Stan James deems in its absolute discretion to be unwanted and/ or unprofitable; or (iii) accounts that Stan James deems in its absolute discretion to be taking advantage of arbitrage opportunities.
  • isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    Me too

I'd want more than evens, when I can get 3/1 on a Tory victory.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I've just put another post up, this time on the constituencies with no clear favourite:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-cloud-of-unknowing-seats-with-no.html
    perdix said:

Speedy said:

Does ukip have any policies?

Apparently 70% of people in Rochester that vote UKIP do so because of their policies.

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

The Free Bet offer is not available to the following accounts and Stan James reserves the right to cancel an entry to the promotion, terminate any account and withhold any promotional benefits at any time and/ or take such other action as it deems appropriate in its absolute discretion, in particular but without limitation in respect of the following accounts:(i) accounts using Neteller or Skrill (Moneybookers) to fund their StanJames.com account; or(ii) accounts that Stan James deems in its absolute discretion to be unwanted and/ or unprofitable; or (iii) accounts that Stan James deems in its absolute discretion to be taking advantage of arbitrage opportunities.
    I never arbed ONCE with my Stan James account and it got shut down.
  • antifrank said:

I've just put another post up, this time on the constituencies with no clear favourite:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-cloud-of-unknowing-seats-with-no.html

Love the conclusion, wise words we should all heed.

But the most valuable aspect of this table is to remind me to be careful. When others aren't confident that they know what's going on, I should not assume that I have any special insight
    edited October 2014

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    Me too

Almost everywhere, the bookies and I don't give the Tories much of a chance really.
    edited October 2014

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    Me too

Why? How do you work that out?

I am probably giving you a very generous offer

As I did by laying 4/6 UKIP under 10% on here when Shadsy was 1/5

But if you don't want it fair enough
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

"(ii) accounts that Stan James deems in its absolute discretion to be unwanted and/ or unprofitable"

Perhaps your account was profitable?
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

You weren't the only one.

I was told they kiboshed any account that had long term non footballing bets.

They thought that meant they were professional gamblers
    isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

The Tory candidate will be one of two people no one has heard of. Might as well be still unannounced

Tory +5
    UKIP -5

EVEN MONEY
    Did you think before you posted that response to me? I just said I make Reckless favourite.

Kelly Tolhurst may not be known to you but she's a Medway councillor who serves Rochester West ward.

Anna Firth is less local although not a complete outsider.
    edited October 2014
    antifrank said:

I've banged on about this on several occasions, but the Scottish Lib Dems in general are way too short priced.

Completely agree.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

See clause (ii). Whether you actually consummate the arb is also pretty immaterial.
  • Speedy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    Me too

Almost everywhere, the bookies and I don't give the Tories much of a chance really.
    A few weeks ago, with quite a few bookies, the Tories were the favourite.
    edited October 2014

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

That reaffirms my point.

It does nothing of the sort

Survation put UKIP on 28% they polled 25.9% (and two subsequent polls had them at 27% 27% ). The UKIP polling was amazingly accurate. It was Labour's polling that was 10 points out and what that demonstrates is there was likely a shift of votes from Labour to Tory over the campaign and similarly to a lesser extent the same was true of the Libdems. With the Tories 8 points ahead in the first poll that gave them momentum.

In Rochester UKIP have the momentum based on the initial poll and on the Clacton result and the seeming bounce from it . Clearly the Tories will throw everything at the seat because they have much to lose and it will certainly be much closer than Clacton.

However, none of that justifies your claims that somehow Survation over stated UKIPs figures in any significant way in Newark because the polling proves they didn't!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_by-election,_2014
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    edited October 2014
    Janan Ganesh: Gordon Brown: the Norma Desmond Years.

Ouch!

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

Tory +5
    UKIP -5

EVEN MONEY
    Did you think before you posted that response to me? I just said I make Reckless favourite.

Kelly Tolhurst may not be known to you but she's a Medway councillor who serves Rochester West ward.

They are both women when the Tories have a men's problem in Rochester.

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

Tory +5
    UKIP -5

EVEN MONEY

You could easily make Reckless favourite but still back Tory +5

I make Germany favourite to beat Ireland tonight, but would take EVENS about Ireland +3
    edited October 2014
    Speedy said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

Tory +5
    UKIP -5

EVEN MONEY

They are both women when the Tories have a men's problem in Rochester.
    Wonder if some wannabe UKIP men will vote for Kelly because she's hot?

My bad.

(NB not saying Anna isn't beautiful too!)

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

It was consistently beating the SP on horses that did it for me actually, I do have these bets left in it to perhaps settle one day though:

03 Oct 2012 13:28
    UK Politics
    Next Chancellor of the Exchequer, Ed Balls, 3/1 Single £20.00 (Pot. Ret. £80.00)
    Open
    Show Details
    01 Oct 2012 10:16
    UK Politics
    Next Prime Minister, Ed Miliband, 6/4 Single £70.00 (Pot. Ret. £175.00)
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

It was consistently beating the SP on horses that did it for me actually, I do have these bets left in it to perhaps settle one day though:

UK Politics
    Next Chancellor of the Exchequer, Ed Balls, 3/1 Single £20.00 (Pot. Ret. £80.00)
    Open
    Show Details
    UK Politics
    I'm sure they'll settle one day; DC & GO won't go on beyond 2030
  • isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    Me too

I just went with my hunch/gut feeling.
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

UK Politics
    Open
    Show Details
    UK Politics
    I still have no fecking idea why Victor Chandler closed my account the first time around.
    @TSE
    "A few weeks ago, with quite a few bookies, the Tories were the favourite"

Perhaps because you and other Tories were piling money onto the Tories without waiting for a constituency poll.
    I warned everyone here not to place bets before a constituency poll had been published, so that we know what's going on there before we risk any money.

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

UK Politics
    Open
    Show Details
    UK Politics
    I'm sure they'll settle one day; DC & GO won't go on beyond 2030
    I had £45 DC to stay past 2016 @ 7-2 the other day.

As well as backing him at long odds on to stay till the GE.

My worry isn't Ed Miliband, it's the 1922 committee.
    edited October 2014

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    Me too

OK

Is strange though... Richard Nabavi, a celebrated PBer with a good gambling record it seems, writes a post explaining his thoughts on R&S...

He gives two conclusions

Con by 13%
    UKIP by 3%

Lots of people compliment his thinking

I offer Con +5% at EVEN money and no one wants it!

How so?
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    Me too

OK

Is strange though... Richard Nabavi, a celebrated PBer with a good gambling record it seems, writes a post explaining his thoughts on R&S...

He gives two conclusions

Con by 13%
    UKIP by 3%

How so?
    Casio to computer computation problem?

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    Me too

OK

He gives two conclusions

Con by 13%
    UKIP by 3%

How so?
    I think you're right, that's why I'm not biting ^_~
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

UK Politics
    Open
    Show Details
    UK Politics
    I still have no fecking idea why Victor Chandler closed my account the first time around.
    I've always kind of admired Betvictor because they flat out close your account, rather than restricting you to trifling amounts, as the others do.

There is no doubt in my mind that bookmakers in this country are operating a cartel. One day they will come a cropper as a consequence.
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

I simply can't see the Tories knifing DC this close to the election, regardless of Rochester & Strood; if they think they're going to lose, they'll want to make DC and the Cameroons own the defeat (qv. Labour, amusingly enough).

On Rochester & Strood, I am of a similar mind to Richard Nabavi on this one - R&S is really quite a different constituency to Clacton. Why mess about betting into shadsy's 120% (or whatever it is) book, trying to cover various bands, when you can simply get 3/1 or bigger on the Tories?

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

UK Politics
    Open
    Show Details
    UK Politics
    I've always kind of admired Betvictor because they flat out close your account, rather than restricting you to trifling amounts, as the others do.

There is no doubt in my mind that bookmakers in this country are operating a cartel. One day they will come a cropper as a consequence.
    You don't have to be a hypocritical coward to be a bookmaker.. but it helps

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/you-dont-have-to-be-hypocritical-coward.html
  • isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

EVEN MONEY

I will take UKIP -5
    You can have Tory +5
    Me too

OK

He gives two conclusions

Con by 13%
    UKIP by 3%

How so?
    My logic is based on the fact Mike was aware of a pre-defection poll showing Reckless ahead by comfortable double digits.

The first public poll has him ahead by 9%.

My theory is he's no Douglas Carswell.
    [when you can simply get 3/1 or bigger on the Tories?]

Because there is an Irish bookie called Betfair that exists.

I'd be laying under 25% - I don't k'now the fancy legal term for this.
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

UK Politics
    Open
    Show Details
    UK Politics

I think they already are.

Last month, I read somewhere Betfair now are worth more than Ladbrokes.

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny565 said:

So what?

Me too

OK

He gives two conclusions

Con by 13%
    UKIP by 3%

How so?
    My logic is based on the fact Mike was aware of a pre-defection poll showing Reckless ahead by comfortable double digits.

The first public poll has him ahead by 9%.

My theory is he's no Douglas Carswell.
    Completely lost me there, no idea whether that means he will win easily or it will be close
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    edited October 2014

Pulpstar said:

I simply can't see the Tories knifing DC this close to the election, regardless of Rochester & Strood; if they think they're going to lose, they'll want to make DC and the Cameroons own the defeat (qv. Labour, amusingly enough).

On Rochester & Strood, I am of a similar mind to Richard Nabavi on this one - R&S is really quite a different constituency to Clacton. Why mess about betting into shadsy's 120% (or whatever it is) book, trying to cover various bands, when you can simply get 3/1 or bigger on the Tories?
    You can't blame Shadsy, TP.

Some of those bands are unbackable and what's more he has to take on some of the sharpest minds on PB. (No need to blush.)

But 3/1 Tories in Rochester is definitely value.
  • Before I disappear, my football tip for today.

Ireland to beat Germany, you can get 16/1 with some bookies.

You can get 14/1 with bookies that offer cashout opportunities, that's the way I'm going.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/euro-2016/germany-v-republic-of-ireland/winner
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,042

How times change - 20 years ago, UKIP stood in its first electoral contest, and got only 1.7% at the Eastleigh By-election that year. The candidate?

One N. Farage :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastleigh_by-election,_1994

3 years later they ran 193 candidates in their first general election, and lost 192 deposits. The only candidate to keep their deposit? You guessed it...

Pulpstar said:

3-1 Conservative covers all the sub 40% UKIP bands in the market, which certainly makes the 35 -> 40% UKIP bet poor value. UKIP could win with sub 40% but I think there is enough of a squeeze on Labour and others to make it unlikely enough that the 3-1 Tories is far better value. 30-35% UKIP OTOH seems fair enough at 6-1...

Before I disappear, my football tip for today.

You can get 14/1 with bookies that offer cashout opportunities, that's the way I'm going.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/euro-2016/germany-v-republic-of-ireland/winner

The cashout is NEVER value

You should lay off on Betfair
  • Kelly Tolhurst hopefully.

I've not been impressed with the female barrister MPs we've had to endure - the awful Thornberry and Soubry most notably...

Although the one who represented Finchley in years past did alright. :-)

Maybe because she was actually trained as a scientist? :)
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    when you can simply get 3/1 or bigger on the Tories?

The tories would survive a defeat, but how about UKIP?

For a start, a defeat would be a shock.
    isam said:

I don't believe this to be correct. I understand cashout was how TSE (and presumably others) made their money at the world cup.

isam said:

What about "Cashout" on Betfair exchange :) ?

Pulpstar said:

You can't blame Shadsy, TP.

Some of those bands are unbackable and what's more he has to take on some of the sharpest minds on PB. (No need to blush.)

But 3/1 Tories in Rochester is definitely value.
    Nope, I don't blame shadsy in the slightest. The fact that I have little interest in betting into his fairly-compiled market is the greatest compliment I can pay him :-)
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,503
    edited October 2014
    isam said:

Cash out was value during the World Cup

I do generally lay off on Betfair.

I've just got some free bets at Bet365 I need to use up.

They have this bizarre thing, you have use up free bet winnings via two further bets before you can transfer the money into your bank account.
    isam said:

I've used cashout once - Swansea to get relegated last season cashed out for a loss on 365 - it was actually better value than the Betfair market.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,226
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29609660

I was previously in favour of convicting and locking up terror suspects. But now I'm not so sure.
    edited October 2014
    JBriskin said:

isam said:

I don't believe this to be correct. I understand cashout was how TSE (and presumably others) made their money at the world cup.

You can make money by taking crap value, and anyone who cashes out with a bookmaker is doing exactly that.. why do you think they offer it?

The value in running is almost always with the underdog when they take the lead. All the mug money backs the jolly to comeback, all the shrewdies get stuck in to the rag.

So if you back the rag before play then cash out when they take the lead you are effectively laying a bet all the pro punters want to back.

That's bad enough, but if you do it with a high st/online bookie, you are paying their overround again instead of the smaller overround on Betfair, and you are greening up all three results to the same return, when their is bound to be a more effective way of getting out

• isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Email from Bet 365

S

UK Politics
    Open
    Show Details
    UK Politics

You don't have to be a hypocritical coward to be a bookmaker.. but it helps

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/you-dont-have-to-be-hypocritical-coward.html
    I don't mind them being hypocritical, Isam, but they have become just plain old-fashioned lazy.

They want to cream off the winnings from fruit machines and the like where the punter quite literally has zero chance because it is so much easier than performing their traditional role of offering a service, at a commission, to gamblers who wish to pit their skill against each other.

Nobody minded them taking a decent cut for that service, but now they want it for no service at all. Perhaps it is time that Betting Shops were closed down, and fruit machines subjected to infinitely more stringent controls.
  • I don't mind them being hypocritical, Isam, but they have become just plain old-fashioned lazy.

They want to cream off the winnings from fruit machines and the like where the punter quite literally has zero chance because it is so much easier than performing their traditional role of offering a service, at a commission, to gamblers who wish to pit their skill against each other.

Nobody minded them taking a decent cut for that service, but now they want it for no service at all. Perhaps it is time that Betting Shops were closed down, and fruit machines subjected to infinitely more stringent controls.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,247
    I had thought 3/1 on the Tories was good value, but changed my mind after Thursday's results. Neither of these potential candidates look much more than typical A-lister - certainly not in the Sarah Wollaston league. I'd be amazed if UKIP don't win.

isam said:

Cash out was value during the World Cup

I do generally lay off on Betfair.

I've just got some free bets at Bet365 I need to use up.

They have this bizarre thing, you have use up free bet winnings via two further bets before you can transfer the money into your bank account.
    You mean it was value because it won you money? That's not the same thing.

It was highly unlikely to be value to lay the rag that took the lead back to a bookie in the World Cup, and probably not on Betfair either. I am not trying to rub you down, I am trying to help you out
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

That just auto-lays for you to square off your position.

By the way, it's simply not the case that betfair is the best option on these liquid markets. With 5% commission you're nearly always better off taking the bookie's price, provided they are top price.

e.g. on Germany - ROI, the "best bookie" price equates to a 100.2% book. Betfair's back prices, with 5% commission, represent a 102.7% book.

If you must cash out (generally you shouldn't) then betfair may be the best option at that point - but again, you may do better looking for best price elsewhere on the other two selections (or on Double Chance).

If you only want to use one firm (why would you do that?) then betfair is probably the best option, provided you're sticking to the highly liquid stuff (TV matches etc.)
    isam said:

JBriskin said:

isam said:

You can make money by taking crap value, and anyone who cashes out with a bookmaker is doing exactly that.. why do you think they offer it?

The value in running is almost always with the underdog when they take the lead. All the mug money backs the jolly to comeback, all the shrewdies get stuck in to the rag.

So if you back the rag before play then cash out when they take the lead you are effectively laying a bet all the pro punters want to back.

That's bad enough, but if you do it with a high st/online bookie, you are paying their overround again instead of the smaller overround on Betfair, and you are greening up all three results to the same return, when their is bound to be a more effective way of getting out

All fair enough I'd assume Isam - you're an odds-compiler - I'm a punter.

We're not talking nags...

edited October 2014
    @Peter_the_Punter

I agree.

Betting shops are no more than a fence for the FOBT's now... all the staff I have spoken to recently openly admit it
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    rcs1000 said:

I was previously in favour of convicting and locking up terror suspects. But now I'm not so sure.

Most odd.

The jurors and journalists (plus all others in court) are forbidden from ever disclosing the content of the secret sessions.

This implies that the accused will be prevented making disclosure as well. Very hard to enforce, I would think, unless you eliminate them.
    edited October 2014

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

That just auto-lays for you to square off your position.

By the way, it's simply not the case that betfair is the best option on these liquid markets. With 5% commission you're nearly always better off taking the bookie's price, provided they are top price.

e.g. on Germany - ROI, the "best bookie" price equates to a 100.2% book. Betfair's back prices, with 5% commission, represent a 102.7% book.

If you must cash out (generally you shouldn't) then betfair may be the best option at that point - but again, you may do better looking for best price elsewhere on the other two selections (or on Double Chance).

If you only want to use one firm (why would you do that?) then betfair is probably the best option, provided you're sticking to the highly liquid stuff (TV matches etc.)
    If you can get on with every bookie, and they let you play at better prices than Betfair then yes

Then your account gets closed

Even then you have to back the other two results, and I doubt that is better than just laying the one you backed originally on Betfair, in terms of over round

edited October 2014
    isam said:

@Peter_the_Punter

I agree.

Betting shops are no more than a fence for the FOBT's now... all the staff I have spoken to recently openly admit it

The issue has been raised at PMQ's by Ed M.

I would add for those reading that I believe there are a max. four per shop.

• ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,247
    rcs1000 said:

I did notice that the BBC have not allowed comments on that story ...
This discussion has been closed.