Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft poll is out – Labour is on course for a major

Comments

• Options

Mr. Richard, I'm not sure if that's an over-the-internet impression of Brian Blessed, but your use of capslock is a potent argument indeed.

The Gothic Claudius was emperor for a year or less, and Nerva for barely longer, yet both made a significantly positive contribution to the empire.

Laws had great potential which was snuffed out. As for the Schools job: he's subordinate to someone else and his expertise, so I understand, is in finance.

Caesar was in power for less than a year, but everyone who has a brain acknowledges he was the greatest ever.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Neil said:

Mr. Richard, not legitimate to consider Oaten and Laws to be peas in a pod. It's a damned shame Laws isn't still Chief Secretary to the Treasury.

Its remarkable the high regard the expenses cheat Laws is held for his work as Chief Secretary to the Treasury.

A POSITION HE HELD FOR THE GRAND TOTAL OF SEVENTEEN DAYS

Laws must be absolutely brilliant to have created this impression in his SEVENTEEN DAYS.

And yet I've not heard anything about his achievements during his position of Schools Minister which he has had for the past two years.

Could it be that Laws was perhaps a tad overrated during his SEVENTEEN DAYS as Chief Secretary to the Treasury ?

Laws had two major achievements as CST:

(1) Publicised what was meant to have been a private joke.
    (2) Exposed as an expenses cheat.

Was it the shortest tenure in Cabinet ever?
    In case you missed it.

Green Party neck and neck with Lib Dems in voting intention The latest YouGov results for the Sunday Times have the Greens and Liberal Democrats both at 6% in voting intention...

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/09/28/green-party-neck-and-neck-liberal-democrats-voting/
    That is bad news for Labour !
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, the greatest what? Queen of Bithynia? Stab victim?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    edited September 2014

Mr. Eagles, the greatest what? Queen of Bithynia? Stab victim?

Greatest leader, military commander/strategist and human being ever
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, have you ever heard of a chap called Alexander the Great?

Augustus was a better politician, Hannibal a better general. So were Alexander, Scipio and Aurelian.

You, sir, are mad as a mongoose.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    surbiton said:

In the five more ambitious Labour targets I found the Lib Dems ten points behind, which means a swing of 12% from the Lib Dems to Labour."

Telling paragraphs from Lord Ashcroft's paper.

Does that also mean that LAB are racking up tons of pointless votes in seats they already hold, where the Libs are second?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170

Mr. Richard, not legitimate to consider Oaten and Laws to be peas in a pod. It's a damned shame Laws isn't still Chief Secretary to the Treasury.

Its remarkable the high regard the expenses cheat Laws is held for his work as Chief Secretary to the Treasury.

Laws must be absolutely brilliant to have created this impression in his SEVENTEEN DAYS.

And yet I've not heard anything about his achievements during his position of Schools Minister which he has had for the past two years.

Could it be that the accolades paid to Laws for his SEVENTEEN DAYS as Chief Secretary to the Treasury were perhaps a tad overblown ?

Maybe. Certainly it is true (and is one of the most remarkable features of this parliament) that Danny Alexander was able to fill the role extremely well. Who'd a thunk it?
    Alexander read PPE at St Anne's. So presumably he's some academic ability. However his secondary school was a Scottish state school, and his father seems to have/had an ordinary job .... firefighter, pier-master.

To get where he did he must therefore have an element of steel about him
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

In the five more ambitious Labour targets I found the Lib Dems ten points behind, which means a swing of 12% from the Lib Dems to Labour."

Telling paragraphs from Lord Ashcroft's paper.

Does that also mean that LAB are racking up tons of pointless votes in seats they already hold, where the Libs are second?
    Brb putting all my life savings on a Conservative majority
  • Options

Mr. Richard, I'm not sure if that's an over-the-internet impression of Brian Blessed, but your use of capslock is a potent argument indeed.

The Gothic Claudius was emperor for a year or less, and Nerva for barely longer, yet both made a significantly positive contribution to the empire.

Laws had great potential which was snuffed out. As for the Schools job: he's subordinate to someone else and his expertise, so I understand, is in finance.

Caesar was in power for less than a year, but everyone who has a brain acknowledges he was the greatest ever.
    He was Consul for 1 year and Dictator for 4. Not to mention five years with proconsular powers over three or four provinces.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    The LDs are now only left with their core Liberal support as it seems most social democrats have gone back to Labour and their neither of the above protest vote has gone to Ukip. Probably no more than 25 seats in May 2015 and most of those left will be their better known figures..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    surbiton said:

I just read the whole of Ashcroft's presentation. Are PBTories feeling alright after that ?

The game is up !

With a vote share of 35%, why do you think the game is up? How many oppositions with that kind of vote share go on to win?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    edited September 2014

Mr. Eagles, have you ever heard of a chap called Alexander the Great?

Augustus was a better politician, Hannibal a better general. So were Alexander, Scipio and Aurelian.

You, sir, are mad as a mongoose.

Danny Alexander the Great? Yup, heard about him.

Scipio ho ho, he only beats inept overrated people like Hannibal.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

IOS said:

But UKIP can't even take the lead in Rotherham - despite everything - what chance have they elsewhere.

UKIP won Rotherham in the 2014 local elections.

http://www.fabians.org.uk/election-2014-the-numbers/
    Have you seen the poll financed by....................UKIP
    As a PB regular, I'm sure you know that the value of polls is in revealing trends in changes of support, rather than levels of support. Individual polls are interesting, series of polls are useful.

In May UKIP won more votes in Rotherham than Labour did.
    In May UKIP won 27% of the votes in GB. Are you saying they will do the same in GE2015 ?

Talk sense. UKIP can only win in Kent, Essex and Lincs.

They could win Grimsby.
    St Austell and Newquay? Just 3% behind the Tories. Doesn't look impossible for UKIP.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Think your boss might be trying to tell you something Sean....

Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch · 14m
    Elites'policies crushing poor, printing money etc, uneconomic climate investments,all causing higher costs, more inequality.
    Backlash near

The backlash against Murdoch is continuing. Nobody should buy from his companies while he is still around. He is not interested in the welfare of the British nation, just how much money he can make.

I think I may be an all time record holder for boycotting Murdoch.

Times, Sun and sky all absent from my life. The kids could never convince me to drop my objections and take sky.

It goes back to late 70s or early 80s, so long ago I can't remember what he did to make me despite his business ethics.
    Me too.

Disgusting how so much of our political Establishment still crawls to these media tycoon vermin.

Though their influence is declining, Ed Miliband for one is standing up to them, even if David Cameron and the Tories are still in their pockets.

Dacre's time is coming too.
  • Options

He was Consul for 1 year and Dictator for 4. Not to mention five years with proconsular powers over three or four provinces.

I know, I know, it was a reference to that one year.
  • Options

Claudius Gothicus wasn't Gothic, his cognomen is a victory title (like Scipio Africanus). He was illyrian, apparently.

• Options

Could it be that the accolades paid to Laws for his SEVENTEEN DAYS as Chief Secretary to the Treasury were perhaps a tad overblown ?

Maybe. Certainly it is true (and is one of the most remarkable features of this parliament) that Danny Alexander was able to fill the role extremely well. Who'd a thunk it?
    A Tory replacing a Tory in the Tory Government? Astonishing!
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, I know. He's also referred to as the Gothic Claudius (because he slew many Goths, not because he was a Goth). Most of the excellent general-emperors of that era were Illyrian/Danubian.
  • Options
    Just watching Nathan Gill speech, UKIP's MEP for Wales.

"In every single county in Wales UKIP came either first or second" [EU Parliament election]

youtu.be/eH-EK0imaJc

• Options
    Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Elites'policies crushing poor, printing money etc, uneconomic climate investments,all causing higher costs, more inequality.
    Backlash near

The backlash against Murdoch is continuing. Nobody should buy from his companies while he is still around. He is not interested in the welfare of the British nation, just how much money he can make.

Times, Sun and sky all absent from my life. The kids could never convince me to drop my objections and take sky.

It goes back to late 70s or early 80s, so long ago I can't remember what he did to make me despite his business ethics.
    Me too.

Disgusting how so much of our political Establishment still crawls to these media tycoon vermin.

Though their influence is declining, Ed Miliband for one is standing up to them, even if David Cameron and the Tories are still in their pockets.

I seem to have given up Murdoch too. I am making do with Freeview at the moment and used to get the Times/Sunday Times if I got a newspaper but now tend to get the Telegraph 'cos it is free at Waitrose.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

IOS said:

But UKIP can't even take the lead in Rotherham - despite everything - what chance have they elsewhere.

As a PB regular, I'm sure you know that the value of polls is in revealing trends in changes of support, rather than levels of support. Individual polls are interesting, series of polls are useful.

In May UKIP won 27% of the votes in GB. Are you saying they will do the same in GE2015 ?

They could win Grimsby.
    What odds will you give me that ukip win a seat outside Kent Essex or Lincs?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    MK Bowl? What a souless venue. I saw Ozfest there and it was dismal - even worse than Rush at the Highland Exhibition Centre. And that's saying something.

Newcastle City Hall was super. Just large enough for 2000 people and cosy.

Saw Alice Cooper at the Hammersmith Odeon back in the early 80s - that was okay as a venue. Ace stage show. He beheaded his lead guitarist. Not sure that'd be acceptable nowadays given all the ISIS stuff!

Hugh said:

isam said:

@southamobserver

The Jam reform as support for The Libertines at Ally Pally tonight

Danny Baker (@prodnose)
    28/09/2014 19:15
    Now I can say. Paul Weller, Rick Buckler and Bruce Foxton will be taking to the stage for the 1st time in decades tonight. At last.

Christ that would be a belter if it wasn't at Ally Pally. Such a shite venue.

Should've done it at Brixton Academy, best in the world.
    Prefer the Shepherds Bush Empire or Hammersmith Odeon myself, but I would even go to Milton Keynes Bowl to see the Jam once again.
  • Options

Mr. Lilburne, I know. He's also referred to as the Gothic Claudius (because he slew many Goths, not because he was a Goth). Most of the excellent general-emperors of that era were Illyrian/Danubian.

I've never seen him called that, I have always used his Latin name. Apologies for doubting your erudition.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

I seem to have given up Murdoch too. I am making do with Freeview at the moment and used to get the Times/Sunday Times if I got a newspaper but now tend to get the Telegraph 'cos it is free at Waitrose.

Can't get cricket except on Sky, due to the BBC abandoning traditional British sport.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    isam said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

IOS said:

They could win Grimsby.
    What odds will you give me that ukip win a seat outside Kent Essex or Lincs?</

I still think UKIP will finish up at c.10% overall, though far higher in it's best seats.

• Options
    Mr. Lilburne, no problem (reminds me slightly of when someone was confused I referred to the Battle of Arbela rather than Gaugamela). It was probably in the book linked below that I read the name [it's well worth buying, incidentally, Aurelian's a criminally neglected emperor]:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/review-restorer-of-world-emperor.html
  • Options
    Plato said:

MK Bowl? What a souless venue. I saw Ozfest there and it was dismal - even worse than Rush at the Highland Exhibition Centre. And that's saying something.

You are right, I saw a few bands there. I even went to a Lindisfarne Christmas gig!

• Options

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

The Torygraph is miles better than the Times. As is the Guardian and, for that matter, the 30p Indie.

The Times is rather sad and pathetic these days.

Just a low rent Torygraph, or an upmarket Sun if you want to look at it that way, just a Tory propaganda comic with some unreadable "lifestyle" padding.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    IOS said:

Well, we have a by-election for police commissioner in South Yorkshire soon. Let's just wait for the result of that before making any hasty judgements, shall we?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Saw Alice Cooper at the Hammersmith Odeon back in the early 80s - that was okay as a venue. Ace stage show. He beheaded his lead guitarist. Not sure that'd be acceptable nowadays given all the ISIS stuff!

Hugh said:

isam said:

@southamobserver

Danny Baker (@prodnose)
    Now I can say. Paul Weller, Rick Buckler and Bruce Foxton will be taking to the stage for the 1st time in decades tonight. At last.

Prefer the Shepherds Bush Empire or Hammersmith Odeon myself, but I would even go to Milton Keynes Bowl to see the Jam once again.
    Saw Springsteen at MK Bowl and while the show was good the venue was horrible, exactly the same thing at Hyde Park in 2009.

Shepherds Bush Empire is my favorite these days, though I love the Albert Hall, such a magnificent building.

Of the bigger venues Wembley Arena is OK, Earls Court is terrible and the 02 just too big and horrible to get to.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,033
    edited September 2014
    Talking of augustus (which someone did, briefly) this looks pretty cool http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/09/19/world/emperor-augustus-frescoes-opened-public-first-time-rome/
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721

Though their influence is declining, Ed Miliband for one is standing up to them,

How? By having his photo taken with the Sun? Then disowning the photo?
  • Options
    Mr Coogan is a parody of himself. And doesn't appear to realise it yet.

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Steve Coogan hates him so much his recent series was released on Sky
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    isam said:

When Carswell defected I said he would be 1/3 or shorter to win Clacton for ukip

4/6 was available

People on here said that the euro result in the area wasn't to be trusted,supposed shrewdies said the conservatives were the value at 4/1, others said "labour might sneak through the middle"...

Then the story was how the local kippers would be up in arms over Roger Lord, he might defect to the Tories and split the right etc etc

Pol comes out, he's 44% clear

Carswell 1/33 , just a question of how far he wins

Same things being said about Reckless now

Would Reckless really be so, er, reckless as to resign unless he was sure he would win the by-election? I believe there were reports of UKIP polling his constituency before his defection which I assume were favourable, and they are probably also counting on the momentum generated by a Carswell victory to see him home.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

IOS said:

They could win Grimsby.
    27% in the EU elections, 18% in the locals (including their Rotherham win). They have shown they can beat Labour in Rotherham.

• Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

IOS said:

They could win Grimsby.
    27% in the EU elections, 18% in the locals (including their Rotherham win). They have shown they can beat Labour in Rotherham.

You're reading far too much into elections with circa 30% turnout
  • Options

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

Can't get cricket except on Sky, due to the BBC abandoning traditional British sport.
    That wasn't the BBC's fault.

It was the stupid (in pocket of media tycoons) Blair Government taking Test Cricket off the protected list.

And media tycoons being able to outbid everyone for the rights.

And the ECB's short sightedness in taking their filthy cash.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited September 2014
    dodrade said:

isam said:

When Carswell defected I said he would be 1/3 or shorter to win Clacton for ukip

4/6 was available

People on here said that the euro result in the area wasn't to be trusted,supposed shrewdies said the conservatives were the value at 4/1, others said "labour might sneak through the middle"...

Then the story was how the local kippers would be up in arms over Roger Lord, he might defect to the Tories and split the right etc etc

Would Reckless really be so, er, reckless as to resign unless he was sure he would win the by-election? I believe there were reports of UKIP polling his constituency before his defection which I assume were favourable, and they are probably also counting on the momentum generated by a Carswell victory to see him home.
    Couple of conspiracy theories to lighten up a Sunday evening:

1. Carswell and Reckless are double agents sent in by Cameron to destabilize UKIP
    2. Farage lied to them ( well Reckless anyway) about how good the private polls are just to get them on board.
    3. None of the above

3. is 1/20
  • Options
    dodrade said:

isam said:

4/6 was available

You wouldn't have thought so... I can't see an obvious bet here myself

Mike said he was waiting for the Tory candidate to be announced but he's gone in anyway

Whether that's at 13/8 or 12/5 only he seems to know... And I'm not even sure about that!

Before I sound too full of myself I did back ukip at 5/2 in Heywood and Middleton, a ridiculous bad value bet, as well as hundreds of others I have weekly
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited September 2014
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

It was the stupid (in pocket of media tycoons) Blair Government taking Test Cricket off the protected list.

That isn't quite true. Channel 4 and then Channel 5 had rights for all the live home internationals to start with (I think for 5-6 years) and helped revolutionize the sport. BBC coverage was tired and stuck in the dark ages.

With that change came Hawkeye, Snicko, Hotspot, thanks to
    Sunset & Vine doing the production.

Then the ECB took big bucks from Sky.
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

IOS said:

They could win Grimsby.

What was the turnout in the Rotherham by election?
  • Options
    I used to be a serious gig goer - saw Motorhead twice [under protest] and hated it. I felt the air in my lungs vibrate, my ears rang for days afterwards. ACDC doing Hells Bells were fantastic.

Backstage with Hawkwind was hilarious. Worst I ever saw was Ginger Baker - he was so stoned he could barely stand. Tull were great. Nothing beats Alice Cooper or The Scorpions for stage energy.

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

@southamobserver

Danny Baker (@prodnose)

No doubt smaller venues are better. I saw Oasis at Liverpool Royal Court in about 1993, just before Definitely Maybe came out. Amazing.
    Think I am much older than you (59) and i haven't seen Oasis, but in the 70's I saw loads of new bands at small venues. Sunday afternoons was always at the Roundhouse, saw the Damned, Motörhead, Talking Heads and loads more.

Saw a lot of punk bands at Brunel, Clash and the Stranglers. Bruce Springsteen at Hammersmith when he fist came over in 1975, and loads of brilliant pub rock bands like Dr Feelgood and Graham Parker and the Rumour at various venues such as the Torrington, Half Moon, Nashville, Dingwalls etc
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

The cricket coverage on Sky is superb.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

That is the cost of doing what you think it's right. My Murdoch boycott has meant missing lots of sport that I may have enjoyed.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    dodrade said:

isam said:

4/6 was available

I expect you are right. But how the defection "feels" now it is reality and not a hypothetical question is also important. If Reckless is seen to have behaved badly this could impact his prospects significantly.

• Options

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

No it's not it's crap. Because no-one gets to watch it.
  • Options
    isam said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

IOS said:

They could win Grimsby.

Less than 30%

But we're talking about the Euros and locals.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Who does Ashcroft's polling and what methodology is used svp..

Ps it seems Reckless was not exactly straightforward with his intentions indeed the Spectator says he has some questions to answer about what he did before he defected. In any event it just goes to show you should not vote for a party just because of the rosette. I won't forget that again.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    edited September 2014

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

That isn't quite true. Channel 4 and then Channel 5 had rights for all the home internationals to start with and helped revolutionize the sport. BBC coverage was tired and stuck in the dark ages.

Channel 4.

EDIT - ahh you'd already edited...
  • Options
    David Wyllie ‏@journodave 3m

I hear America's internal polling had them four points ahead. #RyderCup #indyref
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited September 2014
    maaarsh said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

That isn't quite true. Channel 4 and then Channel 5 had rights for all the home internationals to start with and helped revolutionize the sport. BBC coverage was tired and stuck in the dark ages.

Channel 4.

EDIT - ahh you'd already edited...
    Fat fingered initial post.
  • Options

isam said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

IOS said:

They could win Grimsby.

Less than 30%

It was 33%

But what's your point? You are saying you can't read anything into ukip winning rotherham at the euros because of a 30% turnout... But labour only won the by election on a 33% turnout... So they either both insignificant or they are comparable
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

Its superb.. and its not true to say no one gets to watch it, people watch it in pubs at lunchtime just as they did when the BBC had it. BBC figs for watching were hardly spectacular IIRC.
    I love cricket and I usually watch C5 highlights plus two hrs of the Sky stuff inc the hour chat post the match.. You wont find anything better visually.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

That is the cost of doing what you think it's right. My Murdoch boycott has meant missing lots of sport that I may have enjoyed.
    Watch the footy etc in the pub, at least then you're supporting a local business as well as undemocratic corrupt foreign media tycoon scum.

Unfortunately cricket isn't the best game to watch in the pub!
  • Options
    Christmas with Lindisfarne! That was de rigure!

Did you know that Fog On The Tyne was the biggest selling album that year?

I can't imagine a folk band ever managing that again. I've only got two Lindisfarne tracks on my 1300 song Selfie Tape - Lady Eleanor and Meet Me On The Corner.

If you like Folk - do try The Lumineers. I've got one of their albums and it's very foot-tapping. Ho-Hey > youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

...Reminded me of the Hot House Flowers. Their concert was most odd - all very IRA feeling.

Plato said:

You are right, I saw a few bands there. I even went to a Lindisfarne Christmas gig!

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

IOS said:

They could win Grimsby.

Less than 30%

It was 33%

But what's your point? You are saying you can't read anything into ukip winning rotherham at the euros because of a 30% turnout... But labour only won the by election on a 33% turnout... So they either both insignificant or they are comparable
    My point is that in Westminster elections, Labour will win, real votes and the opinion polls back that.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    AAAAH.. so its not just about the coverage its just anti Murdoch stuff.. As I thought. Sky is miles ahead of anyone in terms of sport coverage.
  • Options

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

Its superb.. and its not true to say no one gets to watch it, people watch it in pubs at lunchtime just as they did when the BBC had it. BBC figs for watching were hardly spectacular IIRC.
    I love cricket and I usually watch C5 highlights plus two hrs of the Sky stuff inc the hour chat post the match.. You wont find anything better visually.
    It's crap. Constant adverts. Whizzy shite everywhere. And no-one can watch it.

Get Bumble onto TMS and get rid of the Sky coverage.

Even better, legislate to get Tests back on normal telly.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    If Chris Kelly, followed Mark Reckless and defected to UKIP; Guido would be able to run this story again.

http://order-order.com/2010/08/25/tory-mp-shows-his-cock-to-kids/
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,950
    Evening all :)

Well, my morning read was the Sporting Life and is now the Racing Post with Racing Plus on Saturdays if I'm an armchair punter so I'm open to change.

On topic, as others have said, for the vast majority of the electorate the GE hasn't even begun to impinge on their consciousness and probably won't until the campaign begins for real after Osborne's Budget next year.

At this stage, therefore, I'd contend the polls are picking up a mixture of the committed (who would vote for their side even if said Party advocated eating grandmothers as a measure of economic growth) and the rest who are still in protest-land or genuinely haven't decided.

It was always my experience as an LD activist on the doorstep that "our" vote was always much softer than the Conservative or Labour votes and we couldn't rely on them until we knew they'd been to the polling station (and sometimes not even then). The "ground war", as it's termed, was vital to getting that vote out.

The loss of activists from 2010 will damage the party in many hundreds of seats but I wouldn't count out seats like Taunton Deane and North Cornwall at this stage. I have no betting position on this but my view is 30-35 seats at this time.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ignore this poll it's probably a voodoo

Better to base how Reckless will do on the behaviour of SWP activists in local boozers

Medway Messenger (@MedwayMessenger)
    28/09/2014 09:05
    According to our poll this morning, 70% of you approve of @MarkReckless move to UKIP (522vs226 votes).
  • Options

AAAAH.. so its not just about the coverage its just anti Murdoch stuff.. As I thought. Sky is miles ahead of anyone in terms of sport coverage.

No it's not. Their football coverage is stinking too.

It's Super Slam Mega Deathdown Sunday Supernova! Yes, it's Man City v Hull!

BOOM!

• Options
    Plato said:

If you like Folk - do try The Lumineers. I've got one of their albums and it's very foot-tapping. Ho-Hey youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

Plato said:

I like the Lennon and Maisy cover of that song.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

IOS said:

They could win Grimsby.

Less than 30%

It was 33%

My point is that in Westminster elections, Labour will win, real votes and the opinion polls back that.
    Ukip won on real votes last time their was an election in Rotherham

Ladbrokes are 1/5 labour, I'll give you 1/4... Best price anywhere in the world

How much would you like?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

It's crap. Constant adverts. Whizzy shite everywhere. And no-one can watch it.

Get Bumble onto TMS and get rid of the Sky coverage.

Even better, legislate to get Tests back on normal telly.

MY REPLY

Its only adverts at the end of the over and you can(as I do) listen to TMS whilst they are on. or cut the sky sound and listen to TMS. You just hate Murdoch. It wouldn't matter what they had on the telly you would still trash it.

Illogical loathing born of prejudice.
  • Options
    Elizabeth Truss has criticised the Turnip Taliban and ,apparently the victim of counter-transference, has become one.Nothing better for Tory moralethan ripping a fox to pieces bite by bite.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/516121/Elizabeth-Truss-fox-hunting-ban-scrapped
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I've only seen Bill Clinton at the Albert Hall - he was exPOTUS and very good.

Proms In The Park was great fun. We had a cracking thunderstorm during the show and it knocked the power out. We all got drenched with warm wet rain in the dark.

EDIT I must recommend Christmas Horse Of The Year at Olympia - that's brilliant fun. And the stalls around it are epic. They make Hickstead look like a boot sale. Didn't think much of Brands Hatch. Love Goodwood Revival.

Plato said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

@southamobserver

Danny Baker (@prodnose)

Saw Springsteen at MK Bowl and while the show was good the venue was horrible, exactly the same thing at Hyde Park in 2009.

Shepherds Bush Empire is my favorite these days, though I love the Albert Hall, such a magnificent building.

Of the bigger venues Wembley Arena is OK, Earls Court is terrible and the 02 just too big and horrible to get to.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Plato said:

If you like Folk - do try The Lumineers. I've got one of their albums and it's very foot-tapping.

This is brilliant

https://bluerosecode.bandcamp.com/album/the-ballads-of-peckham-rye
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

If Chris Kelly, followed Mark Reckless and defected to UKIP; Guido would be able to run this story again.

It won't be Chris Kelly.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

The Torygraph is miles better than the Times. As is the Guardian and, for that matter, the 30p Indie.

Just a low rent Torygraph, or an upmarket Sun if you want to look at it that way, just a Tory propaganda comic with some unreadable "lifestyle" padding.
    The notion that the Telegraph is in some way any better than the Times is risible.
    Just as risible that 'media tycoons' pay for test cricket. Test cricket etc is paid for by subscribers.
    Strange that the BBC with all its licence payers enforced 'subscriptions' (over £5 billion!) cannot find time and money for test cricket but can keep lining that well known tycoon Bernie Ecclestone's pocket.
    I do not watch nmuch SKY; I could pretend I spit in Murdoch's eye in a high moral principle but of course the truth is I cannot afford the subsctiptions (for what it is I want to watch) and cannot stand Kay Burley or the odious people they put on the newspaper reviews.

In terms of moral principle I doubt there is much difference between Murdoch and the Barclay Bros anyway so good luck with the Telegraph.
  • Options

Elizabeth Truss has criticised the Turnip Taliban and ,apparently the victim of counter-transference, has become one.Nothing better for Tory moralethan ripping a fox to pieces bite by bite.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/516121/Elizabeth-Truss-fox-hunting-ban-scrapped

Pro-hunting activists were reported to be important in the Conservatives 2010 electioneering.

It'll be interesting to see if they help out in 2015.

"According to independent assessments, rural campaigners were instrumental in winning 36 target seats in 2010. Overall, Vote OK leafleters were present in 58 constituencies which saw a significant swing to the Tories. A survey conducted by Professor David Denver of Lancaster university for the Electoral Commission following the 2005 election concluded: ‘There is no doubt that turnout was indeed higher in Vote OK targets than anywhere else. In targeted seats the greater the effort of Vote OK, the better the Conservative performance.’"

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9069211/rural-revolt/
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

The notion that the Telegraph is in some way any better than the Times is risible.
    Just as risible that 'media tycoons' pay for test cricket. Test cricket etc is paid for by subscribers.
    Strange that the BBC with all its licence payers enforced 'subscriptions' (over £5 billion!) cannot find time and money for test cricket but can keep lining that well known tycoon Bernie Ecclestone's pocket.
    I do not watch nmuch SKY; I could pretend I spit in Murdoch's eye in a high moral principle but of course the truth is I cannot afford the subsctiptions (for what it is I want to watch) and cannot stand Kay Burley or the odious people they put on the newspaper reviews.

In terms of moral principle I doubt there is much difference between Murdoch and the Barclay Bros anyway so good luck with the Telegraph.
    Its all about irrational prejudice.. what will hugh do when the latest batch of admissions about phone tapping come to court.. I mean its the paper that bats for his team.. Chortles..
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

RodCrosby said:

By the by, Roger Helmer should have stood down when he defected as well.

What would be the use of that?
    The seat would have just gone to the next Tory on the list...

Exactly. The seat was won by a party on a party list not by the individual MEP. Helmer should have stood down and let the next Tory have the seat.
    Helmer did intend to do that but the Conservative Leadership would not guarantee that the seat went to the next on the list. After many months Helmer just defected instead.
    I don't think the seat should go to the next person on the list because that might mean someone who stood for the election four years earlier, changed parties himself, been elected for another position, died, simply no longer interested, emigrated, etc.

Note, this now means that any professional politician defecting to UKIP is guaranteed a paying job. In the event of not winning the subsequent by-election, ol' Nige just puts him on the MEP roster.

I wonder if that's why we are getting all these defections?

And people say the European Elections don't matter?

[Nick Clegg, I think, did this. It seems that Farage is copying the SDP/Liberal insurgency playbook].
  • Options
    Oh, I like that. Thanx.

I've recently tripped over Anya Marina [fun bouncy soul], Fitz & The Tantrums [guitar pop with attitude] and Black Strobe [gay French bikers]. Oh, and Alex Clare is just effing brilliant [Stevie Wonder by a white Jewish guy].

Foster The People is super. They had the Most Streamed Song on YTube a couple of years ago with Helena Beat.

Here's Black Strobe doing Bo Diddly [as used on Vampire Diaries] > youtube.com/watch?v=zTXbkkUqS_0
    Scott_P said:

Plato said:

If you like Folk - do try The Lumineers. I've got one of their albums and it's very foot-tapping.

This is brilliant

https://bluerosecode.bandcamp.com/album/the-ballads-of-peckham-rye
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Hugh said:

BOOM!

This is not strictly speaking only a Sky thing (which I've had for less than a year now), but I am finding the overuse of 'super' Sunday/Saturday and the like in sport to be one of the smallest of things that I nevertheless get irrationally mad about.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

dr_spyn said:

It won't be Chris Kelly.
    Watching Schapps speech on treachery tonight, made me wonder if it was more aimed at some of the waverers in the audience than those outside the hall.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

It seems that Farage is copying the SDP/Liberal insurgency playbook].

UKIP have repeatedly said they are attempting to follow Paddy Ashdown's strategy of winning local government elections, and then using their local government base to win Westminster elections.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    kle4 said:

Hugh said:

BOOM!

This is not strictly speaking only a Sky thing (which I've had for less than a year now), but I am finding the overuse of 'super' Sunday/Saturday and the like in sport to be one of the smallest of things that I nevertheless get irrationally mad about.

You obviously haven't heard some of the ghastly trailers that are seeping into BBC coverage.. Soon virtually NOTHING will be worth watching live, only recorded . I watch nearly everything recorded, it saves hours of inane trailers on all channels.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Hugh said:

BOOM!

You mean you don't watch Super League ... netball ?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

It won't be Chris Kelly.
    Watching Schapps speech on treachery tonight, made me wonder if it was more aimed at some of the waverers in the audience than those outside the hall.
    Yeah, I'm not sure about the wisdom of that. It might have just kept the story at maximum prominence for yet another news cycle.
  • Options

Just watching Nathan Gill speech, UKIP's MEP for Wales.

"In every single county in Wales UKIP came either first or second" [EU Parliament election]

youtu.be/eH-EK0imaJc

What does that mean?
    In Wales Gill was elected with 27.55% of the vote.
    He could easily have said, 'In the Euro elections where we were the only party selling the policy of walking out of the EU, 72.45% of the voters voted against us. And 2/3rds of the electorate could not be bothered to vote.
  • Options

Richard, I've had to bump your piece to probably Tuesday now, assuming no more defections, unexpected opinion polls etc

No problem. Perceptions of Ed are not going to change in the next few days! I might Vanilla you a better title for the piece, though.
  • Options
    I don't know that one - do you have a linky?

I love covers - The Damned doing Eloise, Jose Feliciano doing Light My Fire... I think they're much better than the originals > youtube.com/watch?v=w7rXONoTOHg

Plato said:

If you like Folk - do try The Lumineers. I've got one of their albums and it's very foot-tapping. Ho-Hey youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

Plato said:

• Options
    Plato said:

I love covers - The Damned doing Eloise, Jose Feliciano doing Light My Fire... I think they're much better than the originals > youtube.com/watch?v=w7rXONoTOHg

Plato said:

Plato said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-lLlEtoAS8
  • Options

Pro-hunting activists were reported to be important in the Conservatives 2010 electioneering.

It'll be interesting to see if they help out in 2015.

"According to independent assessments, rural campaigners were instrumental in winning 36 target seats in 2010. Overall, Vote OK leafleters were present in 58 constituencies which saw a significant swing to the Tories. A survey conducted by Professor David Denver of Lancaster university for the Electoral Commission following the 2005 election concluded: ‘There is no doubt that turnout was indeed higher in Vote OK targets than anywhere else. In targeted seats the greater the effort of Vote OK, the better the Conservative performance.’"

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9069211/rural-revolt/
    Certainly not to the same extent as last time. Most simply don't trust Cameron to deliver.
  • Options
    I pay to read the opinion pieces and comments in The Times. I wouldn't pay to read anything bar Dan Hodges and Tim Stanley in the Telegraph. Their comments are a zoo.

The Mail is very entertaining for it's popular silly science/US local news stories. I wouldn't buy that either.

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

snip

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Plato

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9cdz3Up3j4
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

philiph said:

perdix said:

JBriskin said:

Backlash near

Me too.

I watch it, I love it. Couldn't care less if it is Murdoch, we could go down the old route of it's my choice to pay, unlike the license fee but that has been to death.

Sky Arts is excellent, some the series such as The Tunnel are very good too. I missed Coogan's show though.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    dr_spyn said:

Nadine was very specific about him this morning on Sky News. She said he has been going out with her daughter for 4 years and there is no way he will be defecting.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Nick Sutton
    @suttonnick Monday's Express front page - "Pension death tax scrapped" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers #cpc2014 pic.twitter.com/pKs0o2F6sw
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Plato said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

They still broadcast from the Grand Ole Opry?!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick

Monday's Telegraph front page - "Osborne scraps the 'death tax'" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers #cpc2014 pic.twitter.com/CCLbdTmU1F

• Options
    dr_spyn said:
    There was a time that newspapers exposed scandals.

Now they have to resort to manufacturing them.

• Options
    Osborne on a policy counteroffensive:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29402844

To be honest, whilst welcome, he's going to need to pull more out of the hat than this if he's going to make waves.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

They still broadcast from the Grand Ole Opry?!
    Of course!

http://youtu.be/x-RV7BHRzpE
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Plato said:

I've only seen Bill Clinton at the Albert Hall - he was exPOTUS and very good.

Proms In The Park was great fun. We had a cracking thunderstorm during the show and it knocked the power out. We all got drenched with warm wet rain in the dark.

EDIT I must recommend Christmas Horse Of The Year at Olympia - that's brilliant fun. And the stalls around it are epic. They make Hickstead look like a boot sale. Didn't think much of Brands Hatch. Love Goodwood Revival.

Plato said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

@southamobserver

Danny Baker (@prodnose)

From someone who loves going to gigs- after Glasgow Barrowlands and the Hacienda, I thought nothing could be bettered. But Italian, Tuscan, medieval squares- Lucca and Pistioa- over the last 2 years we've seen the Arctic Monkeys, Killers, Prodigy, Stevie Wonder, Leonard Cohen, Diane Krall. The acoustics are phenomenal, ticket pricing, better, weather superb, 3 euros for a beer with no queue a bonus, and then walking distance to an amazing restaurant afterwards. And set in one of the most beautiful locations in the world.
  • Options

Plato said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

Two of my favourite artists are Springsteen and Neil Young, for all the brilliant songs they have written two cover versions are among my favorites, An astonishing version of This Little Light of Mine:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTebgVrHEVM

And Neil Young's version of the unofficial Canadian national anthem, which is now my favourite ever song:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DP9UjLeLN5A

• Options
    Its official, according to the BBC the self styled Islamic State are 'extremists'.

Perhaps I should add, they are not officially 'self styled' yet... that would of course be expecting too much.
  • Options
    That's super!

I've quite a soft spot for Gangstagrass [am a serious Blue Grass fan esp Bill Munroe] - it's a very weird mash-up genre of blue grass and aggressive N-word rap.

One of their songs is the soundtrack theme of Justified. This is another one.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ezRhtnWWUUc

Plato said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

This discussion has been closed.