Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft poll is out – Labour is on course for a major

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

isam said:

isam said:

You know full well the proposal you speak of wasn't the ukip headline tax announcement. It was never even policy, it was "to be looked at"... So sad

Come off it, this was the economic spokesman speaking at the official UKIP conference a few months before the election:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1dffd452-4595-11e4-9b71-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3EeIE1IDm

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ukip-will-cut-inheritance-tax-and-raise-luxury-vat-9757897.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2770939/UKIP-unveils-new-Wag-Tax-luxury-shoes-handbags-cars-soak-substantial-funds-wealthiest.html

isam said:

isam said:

You know full well the proposal you speak of wasn't the ukip headline tax announcement. It was never even policy, it was "to be looked at"... So sad

Come off it, this was the economic spokesman speaking at the official UKIP conference a few months before the election:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1dffd452-4595-11e4-9b71-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3EeIE1IDm

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ukip-will-cut-inheritance-tax-and-raise-luxury-vat-9757897.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2770939/UKIP-unveils-new-Wag-Tax-luxury-shoes-handbags-cars-soak-substantial-funds-wealthiest.html

Mr O'Flynn told the conference: 'I want it to investigate the feasibility of imposing a luxury goods rate of VAT.

Oh my gosh what a humiliating u turn... He said in no uncertain terms that he wanted to "investigate the feasability" of doing something, and then it was decided not to

How can they go back on that??? It's like a cast iron guarantee!
    Hillarious. Was there a treaty signed which caused the change of heart?

His uncertain terms were first gaining power and then asking the treasury to look at it. Not have a rethink over a glass of burgundy.
    I am sure the policy did not look as good on a Sunday morning as it did on a Friday evening.

But who amongst us has not made the same mistake?

It was not a one night stand though, the policy lasted 2 nights.
    You are not trying to remind us of Farage staggering back to his Maltese hotel at 4 in the morning the night before a key by-election are you?
    Who paid for all that I wonder. Never mind there are some things more important than money.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

isam said:

Winker reckless, we are coming to get you...

I'm joining team 2015, to campaign in Rochester and Strood.

To make sure Reckless' name is spoken in the same breath as Phibly, Burgess, Maclean, Blunt.

Fancy joining me?

On a totally unrelated matter *innocent face*

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 2h

@Gri64 @uncleporkie From exchanges on Rochester that I've had today I've never seen the Tories so angry or so determined
    Or the SWP

Talking of tweets, do Mike or yourself know the difference between 2.65/1 and a 37.7% chance?

And why is an election turnout of 30% relevant sometimes but not on other occasions?
    I'm assuming Mike made a mistake, it is known to happen. I still get confused by decimals and calculating percentages. I prefer it in old money/fractions.

On your second point, because, to be blunt, no one gives a rats poop about Euros or local elections.

Westminster elections on the other hand.
    I'm sure, who doesn't get confused and make mistakes? I just think to try and be clever, and a bit smart then make a mistake while doing it serves him right... No one made him convert the odds any which way

To be fair I'm only bothered to comment because Mike keeps trying to trip me up re betting and failing miserably. I don't know why he is so keen to do so. There's no beef from me about anything
    Are you saying Mike was wrong ? What are the correct chances for 2.65 then ?
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Oops - totally forgot I've got my Jodie Foster film to look forward to.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

To make sure Reckless' name is spoken in the same breath as Phibly, Burgess, Maclean, Blunt.

Fancy joining me?

@Gri64 @uncleporkie From exchanges on Rochester that I've had today I've never seen the Tories so angry or so determined
    Or the SWP

Talking of tweets, do Mike or yourself know the difference between 2.65/1 and a 37.7% chance?

And why is an election turnout of 30% relevant sometimes but not on other occasions?
    Didn't you need correcting, just the other day, on some similar conversion of odds into percentages? I think you blamed the morning..
    I confused 1/5 and 1/6 didn't i?

Yes everyone makes mistakes, I want trying to show off though.
    I hope you are not the UKIP Economic spokesperson.

Read this quietly please,

http://www.bettingexpert.com/blog/how-to-convert-odds
    It's ok I am a betting trader/odds compiler for a living, have been for 15 years

Hope you enjoy the read

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

I'm assuming Mike made a mistake, it is known to happen. I still get confused by decimals and calculating percentages. I prefer it in old money/fractions.

On your second point, because, to be blunt, no one gives a rats poop about Euros or local elections.

I'm sure, who doesn't get confused and make mistakes? I just think to try and be clever, and a bit smart then make a mistake while doing it serves him right... No one made him convert the odds any which way

To be fair I'm only bothered to comment because Mike keeps trying to trip me up re betting and failing miserably. I don't know why he is so keen to do so. There's no beef from me about anything
    Blimey you're paranoid.

PS Isn't 2.65 a 37.7%

(1/2.65)*100 = 37.7%
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

Yes he was wrong

2.65 is 37.7% but Mike said he backed 2.65/1 (3.65) which is 27.3%
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

It was 2.65/1 not 2.65 decimal odds. Sam was right (this time!)
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

Blimey you're paranoid.

PS Isn't 2.65 a 37.7%

(1/2.65)*100 = 37.7%
    Yes 2.65 is 37.7% as you say
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

Yes he was wrong

You do have a sad life ! No wonder you support UKIP. It was clear to everybody what Mike meant.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    surbiton said:

Artist said:

Things in Reckless' favour
    1. A few weeks extra time campaigning before Tories pick candidate
    2. Resounding UKIP European Election victory only four months ago
    3. Private polling putting him at least 10%+ ahead
    4. Incumbency/Personal vote
    5. 5% English Democratic party vote in 2010
    6. UKIP momentum from Clacton win/other defectors
    7. Potential for Labour switchers if Labour take it easy.
    8. UKIP have plenty of activists in the area
    9. Similar 2010 vote breakdown to Clacton

Labour could go for it. Having said that, it may not be a good idea to win this one for Labour to feed the Tory meme about Vote UKIP, get Labour !
    If Labour win they'd hold the seat for six months before being booted out by the Tories who wouldn't make the same mistake twice.
    If UKIP win, a previously safe Conservative seat becomes a tight three way battle next May as Reckless gets squeezed in a tight election.

No brainer for Labour really.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'd love to see Snow Patrol.

And Ed Sheeran. He does some super stuff - that Elton John was his sponsor speaks volumes. There's a great anecdote about Ed appearing at The BRITS. Elton tried to get him a slot but he wasn't well known enough back then, so Elton said he'd appear with him to get him on the bill.

Isn't that super?!

Kiss Me is probably his best known track - I like UNI

> youtube.com/watch?v=V-uSIAcjp4o
    tyson said:

@Plato
    I nearly pulled out of seeing the Arctic Monkeys this year at Pistoia- wasn't feeling great. Alex Turner reminds me of William Hague with better hair, and I felt they were all a bit hyped.
    But..... probably the best 2 hours of my life (physical intimacy excluded). I tell you how good it was- I did't even think of buying another beer. They are head and shoulders the best live act I have ever seen.

A Certain Romance- my hair bristles, and eyes well up thinking of that performance. Sublime doesn't do them justice.

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The BBC red button (i.e. the nrews headlines thingy) isn't working on my TV today.
    Is it squaggled, or is it just me?
  • Options

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

By the way, what was the context that I mucked up 1/5 and 1/6? I don't think I was trying to give it the big one, I was trying to help someone out (albeit not very well)

Do you remember?
  • Options
    tyson said:

@nigel4england and plato Plato

I think Nigel is probably right here- I think the musical consensus is that Springsteen is the best live act- and without seeing him, it is difficult to contradict.

But- this is without doubt the best track, of the greatest live performance in the history of modern music. The "shove it up your nose" impro still makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb0Jmy-JYbA

To give you an idea what a Springsteen show can be like these days, this is from a show in Philly where Bruce spots an Elvis impersonator down the front, starts playing All Shook Up then gets him up to take over. The look on the rest of the bands faces is priceless before Bruce decides he has had enough and ushers him offstage:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XyJgPQRw4JA
  • Options
    Artist said:

Things in Reckless' favour
    1. A few weeks extra time campaigning before Tories pick candidate
    2. Resounding UKIP European Election victory only four months ago
    3. Private polling putting him at least 10%+ ahead
    4. Incumbency/Personal vote
    5. 5% English Democratic party vote in 2010
    6. UKIP momentum from Clacton win/other defectors
    7. Potential for Labour switchers if Labour take it easy.
    8. UKIP have plenty of activists in the area
    9. Similar 2010 vote breakdown to Clacton

10. It's a grammar school town
    11. Medway has a long history of being a significant part defending the realm from Europe.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

Yes he was wrong

You do have a sad life ! No wonder you support UKIP. It was clear to everybody what Mike meant.
    Thanks so much

What price did Mike take then? I still don't get it
  • Options
    isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

Yes he was wrong

Thanks so much

Looking at the prices on Betfair, it is now 2.38, I don't think it ever hit 3.65. So I'm assuming it is a typo by Mike.

As anyone who has ever received regular emails and texts from Mike can confirm, typos are not uncommon.
  • Options
    Plato said:

And Ed Sheeran. He does some super stuff - that Elton John was his sponsor speaks volumes. There's a great anecdote about Ed appearing at The BRITS. Elton tried to get him a slot but he wasn't well known enough back then, so Elton said he'd appear with him to get him on the bill.

Isn't that super?!

tyson said:

@Plato
    I nearly pulled out of seeing the Arctic Monkeys this year at Pistoia- wasn't feeling great. Alex Turner reminds me of William Hague with better hair, and I felt they were all a bit hyped.
    But..... probably the best 2 hours of my life (physical intimacy excluded). I tell you how good it was- I did't even think of buying another beer. They are head and shoulders the best live act I have ever seen.

A Certain Romance- my hair bristles, and eyes well up thinking of that performance. Sublime doesn't do them justice.

I'm a big Jake Bugg fan, first album is brilliant.

Country Song is brilliant, sounds like a grizzly old bloke from Nashville rather than a 19 year old from Nottingham.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

Yes he was wrong

Thanks so much

Looking at the prices on Betfair, it is now 2.38, I don't think it ever hit 3.65. So I'm assuming it is a typo by Mike.

As anyone who has ever received regular emails and texts from Mike can confirm, typos are not uncommon.
    Aren't the bookies 9/4 though?

To be fair who cares? Mike made a balls up of something, and as he had been rude to me earlier without provocation, I thought I'd highlight it.

Childish maybe, but that's me!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited September 2014
    I think some people need some refresher courses on betting / odds :-)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

Yes he was wrong

Thanks so much

Particularly when accessing betting sites is difficult in Spain.

Give Mike a break, he is on holiday!
  • Options
    Ace.

Another for my library - what a brilliant thread this has turned into.

I'd no idea after all these years we could top Favourite Vegetables!

May I offer Dolly Parton and Butterfly?

> youtube.com/watch?v=b0pkn9evgKs

Plato said:

I love Linda Ronstadt doing Blue Bayou. Much better than Roy Orbison.

>> youtube.com/watch?v=ceYjg1dy-h0

Plato said:

I don't know that one - do you have a linky?

I love covers - The Damned doing Eloise, Jose Feliciano doing Light My Fire... I think they're much better than the originals > youtube.com/watch?v=w7rXONoTOHg

Plato said:

If you like Folk - do try The Lumineers. I've got one of their albums and it's very foot-tapping. Ho-Hey youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

Plato said:

MK Bowl? What a souless venue. I saw Ozfest there and it was dismal - even worse than Rush at the Highland Exhibition Centre. And that's saying something.

Newcastle City Hall was super. Just large enough for 2000 people and cosy.

You are right, I saw a few bands there. I even went to a Lindisfarne Christmas gig!

I like the Lennon and Maisy cover of that song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-lLlEtoAS8
    Two of my favourite artists are Springsteen and Neil Young, for all the brilliant songs they have written two cover versions are among my favorites, An astonishing version of This Little Light of Mine:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTebgVrHEVM

And Neil Young's version of the unofficial Canadian national anthem, which is now my favourite ever song:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DP9UjLeLN5A

That Springsteen one is cracking tune!

I'll offer 'Dimming of the Day', performed by Bonnie Raitt.

http://youtu.be/1o8M74ufF4Q

(Alison Krauss does a nice version too.)

This is Linda Ronstadt doing a cover of Springsteen's Across The Border, ably assisted by the wonderful Emmylou Harris and Neil Young, lyrics are brilliant and like Blue Bayou this version is much better than Bruce's:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OfCS1yXg8gk
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Matthew Goodwin ‏@GoodwinMJ

Rank in Ukip-friendly list:
    Clacton = 1
    Rotherham = 66
    Thanet N = 92
    Thanet S = 142
    Heywood & Midd = 148
    Rochester & S = 271
    Eastleigh = 324

That Thanet S is 142 in that list but Thanet N is only 92 tells me that Goodwin has got something wrong in his calculations. As someone who grew up in Thanet it did not surprise me that Thanet South (predominantly Ramsgate) was amongst the most pro UKIP areas of the country. That Thanet North is slightly more surprising but not that much. The idea that somewhere like Rotherham is generically much higher than either Thanet seat is laughable.

I suspect Goodwin is overplaying the class thing (he really seems to love repeating that UKIP voters are old, thick poor and white whenever he can) and failing to consider other considerations such as Kent being a Grammar School area (Kent, Lincolnshire and parts of Essex still have grammar schools), its proximity to Europe, its historical legacy as a result and so forth.

Farage has gone on record in Thanet when he cited grammar schools as the only way to succeed for able students.
    The 'only' way?
    Good luck to him with that.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

By the way, what was the context that I mucked up 1/5 and 1/6? I don't think I was trying to give it the big one, I was trying to help someone out (albeit not very well)

Do you remember?
    Didn't remember but looked it up

"Publicity

They say they are paying out a six figure sum...

The no price has been big odds on with the bookies for a long while. Let's say betfair Sportsbook were 1/6.... That means if they pay out £100,000 , £84,000 of that is the punters stake money, so it's only costing them £16,000"

So it wasn't a percentages thing, but still not good from an odds compiler - whatever time of day!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    isam said:

To be fair who cares?

Mainly you it seems.
  • Options
    Interesting, it seems the Mirror "outsourced" this little sting operation. Now where have we seen that before?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/sep/28/sundaymirror-investigative-journalism
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

I
    Or
    I.
    I'
    Yes he was wrong

Thanks so much

To be fair who cares? Mike made a balls up of something, and as he had been rude to me earlier without provocation, I thought I'd highlight it.

Yes, but his tweet specifically said "Made my first Rochester move. A Betfair bet at 2.65/1 on the Tories winning."

As he's in Spain, he can't access the bookies websites, but he can access betfair, thanks to a tip I told him to use in the past.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Fancy joining me?
    Great idea, TSE.

Asian Muslims from South Yorkshire are all the rage at the moment.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    edited September 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

Fancy joining me?
    Great idea, TSE.

Well I'm not an Asian Muslim am I.

I'm British.

Did you see my comment yesterday about your deluded witterings about Maria Miller's conference speech in 2012?
  • Options

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fancy joining me?

Or the SWP

Do you remember?
    Didn't remember but looked it up

"Publicity

They say they are paying out a six figure sum...

The no price has been big odds on with the bookies for a long while. Let's say betfair Sportsbook were 1/6.... That means if they pay out £100,000 , £84,000 of that is the punters stake money, so it's only costing them £16,000"

So it wasn't a percentages thing, but still not good from an odds compiler - whatever time of day!
    Oh yeah!

More of a settling mistake than to do with odds compiling. I used to leave all that nonsense for customer services
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

To be fair who cares?

Mainly you it seems.
    Haha love it
  • Options
    Plato said:

Ace.

Plato said:

Plato said:

I love covers - The Damned doing Eloise, Jose Feliciano doing Light My Fire... I think they're much better than the originals > youtube.com/watch?v=w7rXONoTOHg

Plato said:

If you like Folk - do try The Lumineers. I've got one of their albums and it's very foot-tapping. Ho-Hey youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

Plato said:

MK Bowl? What a souless venue. I saw Ozfest there and it was dismal - even worse than Rush at the Highland Exhibition Centre. And that's saying something.

You are right, I saw a few bands there. I even went to a Lindisfarne Christmas gig!

Two of my favourite artists are Springsteen and Neil Young, for all the brilliant songs they have written two cover versions are among my favorites, An astonishing version of This Little Light of Mine:

And Neil Young's version of the unofficial Canadian national anthem, which is now my favourite ever song:

This is Linda Ronstadt doing a cover of Springsteen's Across The Border, ably assisted by the wonderful Emmylou Harris and Neil Young, lyrics are brilliant and like Blue Bayou this version is much better than Bruce's:

Great track, know a few people who went to Glastonbury this year, proper rockers but they all loved Dolly.

Off to bed but would like to carry on swapping music stuff from time to time,
  • Options

isam said:

Oh my gosh what a humiliating u turn... He said in no uncertain terms that he wanted to "investigate the feasability" of doing something, and then it was decided not to

How can they go back on that??? It's like a cast iron guarantee!

It shows they are a shambles, that is all. I'm sure he was entirely sincere in his bonkers suggestion, and perhaps he even naively thought that, as economic spokesman, he was authorised to speak on economic matters, until The Boss told him otherwise.

Here's a hint, offered free and gratis: check it with The Boss first.
    Could he be expected to know which bar his boss was in? Reckless who once missed a vote because he was drunk seems to have found his right nich. But again I say - if the WAG tax - which is actually a tax on jobs of skilled British crasftsmen/women - is no more, then where is the money for the fine sounding promises? Its all so very Ed Miliband.
    So when Osborne increased standard rate VAT from 17.5% to 20% was that a tax on British jobs as well?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

I
    Or
    I.
    I'
    Yes he was wrong

Thanks so much

Yes, but his tweet specifically said "Made my first Rochester move. A Betfair bet at 2.65/1 on the Tories winning."

As he's in Spain, he can't access the bookies websites, but he can access betfair, thanks to a tip I told him to use in the past.
    You seriously are the greatest!

Why not just phone up and take 9/4? He was tweeting Ladbrokes prices so he knew what they were,

Do you want to leave this? It's boring
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2014

Matthew Goodwin ‏@GoodwinMJ

Rank in Ukip-friendly list:
    Clacton = 1
    Rotherham = 66
    Thanet N = 92
    Thanet S = 142
    Heywood & Midd = 148
    Rochester & S = 271
    Eastleigh = 324

That Thanet S is 142 in that list but Thanet N is only 92 tells me that Goodwin has got something wrong in his calculations. As someone who grew up in Thanet it did not surprise me that Thanet South (predominantly Ramsgate) was amongst the most pro UKIP areas of the country. That Thanet North is slightly more surprising but not that much. The idea that somewhere like Rotherham is generically much higher than either Thanet seat is laughable.

I suspect Goodwin is overplaying the class thing (he really seems to love repeating that UKIP voters are old, thick poor and white whenever he can) and failing to consider other considerations such as Kent being a Grammar School area (Kent, Lincolnshire and parts of Essex still have grammar schools), its proximity to Europe, its historical legacy as a result and so forth.

Farage has gone on record in Thanet when he cited grammar schools as the only way to succeed for able students.
    The 'only' way?
    Good luck to him with that.
    Well as I am a grammar school boy (Ted Heath's Alma Mata dontcha know) and you clearly are not Farage would seem to be on to something!

Oh and by the way how about providing a link for that?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Plato said:

Ace.

Plato said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

Two of my favourite artists

I'll offer

I have not seen you mention the seminal Gram Parsons:

Still one of the best country albums ever:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=2o8oVJHmC8PR7QbcjYHQBg&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1PytxPaU6k4&cd=5&ved=0CCkQtwIwBA&usg=AFQjCNEEs9RfXwk5CyqtekrW3OUZPAaJhw

Or this from the Byrds:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=2o8oVJHmC8PR7QbcjYHQBg&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJKRA1ZIeiM&cd=1&ved=0CB0QtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNE1y9B7AjWSVWUlknNZpnai0xZpVg

Gram Parsons was so massively influential in making Country music mainstream.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

I
    Or
    I.
    I'
    Yes he was wrong

Thanks so much

Why not just phone up and take 9/4? He was tweeting Ladbrokes prices so he knew what they were,

Yes, we will file this under the category of "Kipper takes offence for no reason"
  • Options
    The longest I ever waited in line was 9hrs to see Grease - I was about 14yr old.

I saw Ghostbusters 5x at the Odeon in Newcastle. I think those are the two of mine.

I do get up at 3am to watch US TV shows. My guilty pleasures now.

Plato said:

SIXTY TIMES??!!

Wow. My ex left his Springsteen Greatest Hits behind and I ripped the CD, then deleted the lot as I just don't like his stuff. Given I've got over 350 different artists on my playlist - Bruce seems to be the odd one out.

I've no idea why he doesn't appeal to me.

EDIT Thinking about it - no Led Zep, Deep Purple or Hendrix either. And he liked them too...

snipped

He is astonishing live, surely the best ever live performer. I've seen him over 60 times and never get tired of it.

He once did an interview during the Born in the USA tour in 1985 how he felt playing 200 hundred dates around the world, doesn't he get bored etc. His answer was it may be night 116 for him and the band but for the bloke who had saved up to get two tickets for him and his girl it was his big night, so he gave everything he had each and every show.

When you go to see the shows you realize that the only person having a better time than you is Bruce himself.

He doesn't appeal to a lot of women, they just see his music as the bombastic stuff, when they should try brilliant tracks such as One Step Up and This Hard Land.

Sixty times over nearly 40 years but I take your point, however if you think that is bad there are much worse sad cases than me.

For example people queue for at least 24 hours to get in the pit, and if he is playing the same venue the next night they leave during the encores to get in the queue for the pit the following night.

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Ninoinoz said:

Fancy joining me?
    Great idea, TSE.

I'm British.
    Well, so are the child rapists in Rotherham, then.

Also, you may have noticed the 'from Yorkshire' in the sentence which, last time I checked, was not in the subcontinent of India.

Also, didn't you describe yourself as 'Asian' to identify yourself in the bar for the PB drink up last week?

You and everybody else on thread knew exactly what I meant.

Tip from a Catholic: when your ethno-religious group drops a bollock, don't deny membership of the group. It just looks pathetic.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

isam said:

I
    Or
    I.
    I'
    Yes he was wrong

Thanks so much

Yes, we will file this under the category of "Kipper takes offence for no reason"
    Is it possible for you to answer without being smart or having a dig?

Actually Mike gave it the big one to me for no reason then scurried away when I proved him wrong. I've no beef with anyone I can't understand the aggression or inability to be civil

• Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Fancy joining me?
    Great idea, TSE.

I'm British.
    Well, so are the child rapists in Rotherham, then.

Also, you may have noticed the 'from Yorkshire' in the sentence which, last time I checked, was not in the subcontinent of India.

Also, didn't you describe yourself as 'Asian' to identify yourself in the bar for the PB drink up last week?

You and everybody else on thread knew exactly what I meant.

Tip from a Catholic: when your ethno-religious group drops a bollock, don't deny membership of the group. It just looks pathetic.
    Interestingly you ignore the bit of my comment, which points out your ignorance and stupidity when it comes to the gays.

I also, described myself in other ways last week, I believed I referenced my cream jacket and my epilepsy attack inducing shirt.
  • Options
    Ha!

I love The Cascades and Rhythm Of The Rain > youtube.com/watch?v=bQstQST1GiM

@Plato‌
    Your Linda Ronstadt number sent me on a YouTube safari that ended up with The Shirelles 'Will you still love me tomorrow'. Thanks for that!

That zither is weird looking fish. I think without the video I would have assumed the sound was produced by some kind mariachi band.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Ninoinoz said:

Fancy joining me?
    Great idea, TSE.

I'm British.

Did you see my comment yesterday about your deluded witterings about Maria Miller's conference speech in 2012?
    Can you be British and Muslim? Can you be European and Muslim?

I confess I am unsure. I sincerely and fiercely hope the answer is YES, for all our sakes, but I wonder if the likes of ISIS - and the waves of new Islamic religiosity they represent - mean the answer is NO.

With the rise of Islamism, and Islamic immigration into the UK/EU, it seems we are asking a 21st century secular civilisation - Europe - to accept and accommodate a fervently medieval mindset, with all that represents, in terms of human rights (or lack of) in its midst.

This is unsustainable.

Dark times. Dark times.
    Yes, you can be British/English and a Muslim.

In the same way you could be both Northern Irish and British, without being a terrorist in the 60s/70s/80s/90s

Although, I must confess I'm more English than I am a Muslim these days.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I haven't come across him - what songs would you recommend?

I'll offer up Fitz & The Tantrums - The Walker - it's such bouncy fun > youtube.com/watch?v=nGBLlFMn9Xc

EDIT - have you come across The Fray? They've some super tracks. Aussies IIRC.

Plato said:

Isn't that super?!

tyson said:

@Plato

Country Song is brilliant, sounds like a grizzly old bloke from Nashville rather than a 19 year old from Nottingham.
  • Options
    I've been isolated in a part of the UK that receives RTE1 more reliably than radio 4, so I only heard the recent political news when I reached the heart of Mercia. Couple of thoughts.

I'm glad that Reckless is also precipitating a by-election. I don't recall that the MPs who crossed the floor to Blair's Labour party had such principles.

I wish we could avoid behaving like idiots when parties tried to treat us like adults by discussing policy ideas in the open.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Oops - totally forgot I've got my Jodie Foster film to look forward to.

Flightplan? It's still on, started about an hour ago
  • Options
    Elvis is a funny one. I've only got one track I like - Return To Sender.

I watched all his films as a kid too. I just don't get him nowadays. It feels so dated. And that's me with my sentimental 50s hat on too!

tyson said:

@nigel4england and plato Plato

I think Nigel is probably right here- I think the musical consensus is that Springsteen is the best live act- and without seeing him, it is difficult to contradict.

But- this is without doubt the best track, of the greatest live performance in the history of modern music. The "shove it up your nose" impro still makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb0Jmy-JYbA

To give you an idea what a Springsteen show can be like these days, this is from a show in Philly where Bruce spots an Elvis impersonator down the front, starts playing All Shook Up then gets him up to take over. The look on the rest of the bands faces is priceless before Bruce decides he has had enough and ushers him offstage:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XyJgPQRw4JA
  • Options
    Damnit - I forgot to include one from Anya Marina - a lot of hers have been used in tv shows from Grey's Anatomy to The Good Wife and Vampire Diaries.

Her album Slow And Steady Seduction is superb. Here's a great track > All The Same To Me youtube.com/watch?v=yBx-p7kkxxQ It's breathy jazz.

Plato said:

Isn't that super?!

tyson said:

@Plato

• Options
    PM me on Vanilla. I can do this forever and love new suggestions.

Plato said:

Ace.

Plato said:

snip

Plato said:

Plato said:

Great track, know a few people who went to Glastonbury this year, proper rockers but they all loved Dolly.

Off to bed but would like to carry on swapping music stuff from time to time,

• Options
    Ooh, more stuff to try. Don't know Gram Parsons at all. Not much of a Byrds fan. Will give them another go. I quite liked Bread for a bit a few decades ago, but not now.

I'm rather fond of Keith Urban. I'm more into Southern Rock and some Rockabilly - that's very unfashionable right now. The Cadillac Three [FKA as Cadillac Black] are fun > youtube.com/watch?v=_IZcoiPiXS8

Nothing beats Lynyrd Skynyrd's Gimme Three Steps for a great funny lyrics > youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7dp1HgZnw

Plato said:

Ace.

snip

snip

Plato said:

Plato said:

Two of my favourite artists

I'll offer

I have not seen you mention the seminal Gram Parsons:

Still one of the best country albums ever:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=2o8oVJHmC8PR7QbcjYHQBg&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1PytxPaU6k4&cd=5&ved=0CCkQtwIwBA&usg=AFQjCNEEs9RfXwk5CyqtekrW3OUZPAaJhw

Or this from the Byrds:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=2o8oVJHmC8PR7QbcjYHQBg&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJKRA1ZIeiM&cd=1&ved=0CB0QtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNE1y9B7AjWSVWUlknNZpnai0xZpVg

Gram Parsons was so massively influential in making Country music mainstream.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,334
    Flightpath Of course not the only way, but they help and are very popular in areas like Kent, Trafford and Bucks where they are still around
This discussion has been closed.