Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft poll is out – Labour is on course for a major

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited September 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft poll is out – Labour is on course for a majority

It also makes for unpleasant reading for the Lib Dems, as Lord Ashcroft notes, A lesson from the blue-yellow marginals. Incumbency is not enough, it appears that the Yellows are on course to lose seats to both the Tories and Labour.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Can I thank Lord Ashcroft for publishing his polling during the denouement of today's Ryder Cup.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    A majority of 62 would mean Labour winning 356 seats. Almost 100 gains. Do we really believe that?
  • Options
    Itajai said:

A majority of 62 would mean Labour winning 356 seats. Almost 100 gains. Do we really believe that?

Yes, the 2010 Lib Dem defectors and the 2010 Con to Kipper switchers makes Ed's job so much easier.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Labour could win every single Lab/LD marginal according to that marginal polling. The Conservatives on the other hand are struggling to win some of the pretty low majority Lib Dem ones.
  • Options
    The most worrying fact for Tories depending on the Ed factor is that despite his being subject to an absolute pillorying over the last week, there appears to have been no movement in the polls.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Can Clegg really survive these kind of numbers?
  • Options

The most worrying fact for Tories depending on the Ed factor is that despite his being subject to an absolute pillorying over the last week, there appears to have been no movement in the polls.

I thought the polling was in the week to 17th Sept? Before REd´s master speech.
  • Options
    Itajai said:

I thought the polling was in the week to 17th Sept? Before REd´s master speech.
    I didn't just have this one in mind: YouGov, ComRes ...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Although there are wild variations in the behaviour of individual seats the overall position in the Con/Lib contests is a minute swing from Con to Lib Dem
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited September 2014
    Labour are on 35%, 1% more than Kinnock got in 1992, that is not 'on course for a majority', it is scraping into power by their fingernails thanks almost entirely to UKIP splitting the Tory vote
  • Options
    TNashe Or looking at it the other way the worrying thing for Labour is Ed has got virtually no bounce from his last conference before the election
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Itajai said:

Yes, the 2010 Lib Dem defectors and the 2010 Con to Kipper switchers makes Ed's job so much easier.
    But Ed makes Ed's job so much harder.

It is almost impossible to see him as PM. Yet it's almost impossible to see the Tories surviving in power, what with UKIP eating up their votes, and the electoral bias against them.

Next year, something almost impossible must happen.

Some people last week speculated that Labour's brand is strong enough to cope with Ed being crap.

As I said, the most interesting poll this weekend was the one showing Labour comfortably holding Rotherham, and their share of the vote up!

It kinda proves that UKIP doing well in the North/with the working class is all fart and no follow through.
  • Options

Can Clegg really survive these kind of numbers?

You have not bothered to look at the actual numbers have you ?
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    The 45% will be happy - and they'll even get to keep their bedroom tax!!!!

Silly 45
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited September 2014
    Watching Cameron on Marr, and thinking about Eds speech I find it amazing that people would find Ed more impressive... And I am inclined to agree with those who say he won't be PM... I find myself wanting him to do well in a kind of cheering the underdog way, but leading our country?

Can't see it

The opinion polls say different, but aren't they always miles out this far away from elections? The euro ones were absolutely useless
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    HYUFD said:

Labour are on 35%, 1% more than Kinnock got in 1992, that is not 'on course for a majority', it is scraping into power by their fingernails thanks almost entirely to UKIP splitting the Tory vote

So ask yourself why is Ashcroft peddling his line? What is the point of his polling? Why is it necessary? Necessary for him?
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited September 2014
    With a lead so small I don't think I'll be taking much notice of polls until February.

There are too many undecideds. In the New Year campaigning will begin in earnest and people will only decide once they see the candidates.

Miliband is poison, a few more gaffs and he's history.
  • Options
    [What is the point of his polling?]

We love the poles in Scotland - they serve us beer!!!!!

I is grumpy.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Not sure I believe this. It is within the (very broad) range of realistic possibilities, but I think something messier will be the end result.
  • Options
    Everyone expects REd to do badly in the debates. But will it save him? If he again says absolutely nothing worthwhile on the economy or immigration I do not see how that could be spun to his advantage.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It is almost impossible to see him as PM. Yet it's almost impossible to see the Tories surviving in power, what with UKIP eating up their votes, and the electoral bias against them.

Some people last week speculated that Labour's brand is strong enough to cope with Ed being crap.

As I said, the most interesting poll this weekend was the one showing Labour comfortably holding Rotherham, and their share of the vote up!

It kinda proves that UKIP doing well in the North/with the working class is all fart and no follow through.
    It kinda don't

Ukip are massively on the up in the North... Anyone denying it is ignoring all evidence...

number crunchers blog showed that UKIP are eating into labours vote too, just because it isn't producing instant results, doesn't mean it isn't slowly but surely happening

18 months ago I offered 4/6 ukip under 10% to a few lucky punters on here... Ladbrokes were 1/6 at the time... They thought they were on a good thing, but the odds say different now

in terms of GE 2015, maybe not too many if any ukip gains from labour, but if you want to bet on the number in 2020 I'm happy to take you or anyone else on
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited September 2014
    Reading Lord Ashcroft's Project Blueprint report, I still think there is a good possibility that many switchers to Ukip are only temporary - if the general election is framed right:

Defectors Right

Defectors Right constitute 20.2% of all voters and 99% of these say that they would vote UKIP in a
    general election tomorrow. 74% of Defectors Right say that they would still consider voting for the
    Conservatives at the next general election.

Only 14% of Defectors Right are satisfied with the job that David Cameron is doing as Prime Minister.
    However, 77% are dissatisfied but would still prefer him to Ed Miliband, and only 9% would rather
    have Ed Miliband as Prime Minister. 90% trust Cameron and Osborne more to manage the economy
    than Miliband and Balls.

78% say that they would prefer a Conservative government after the next general election. 10% say
    a Labour government is their preferred outcome; 9% choose a Conservative-Liberal Democrat
    coalition, and a further 4% pick a Labour-Liberal Democrat coalition.

Defectors Right rate Nigel Farage (8.29) far above David Cameron (4.49) and really don’t like Ed
    Miliband (1.16). Similarly, UKIP (8.51) beats the Conservative Party (4.70) and the Labour Party
    (1.46). 3% say they are moving towards the Conservative Party and 77% away from it. 2% say they
    are moving towards Labour, 1% towards the Liberal Democrats and 97% towards UKIP.

61% of Defectors Right agree that austerity must continue for another five years, compared to the
    average of 45%. Only 10% agree that austerity was never really needed. Almost half of Defectors
    Right (47%) say that they have not yet felt the benefits of an economic recovery but expect to do so
    but two fifths (42%) say that they don’t expect to feel any benefit. Only 11% have benefited already.

Among this group, the Conservatives lead Labour and the Liberal Democrats by large margins in all
    policy areas but fewer than a third of Defectors Right (31%) think that the Conservatives are on the
    side of people like them and only a quarter (26%) trust them to do what they say.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/LORD-ASHCROFT-POLLS-Project-Blueprint-Phase-5.pdf
  • Options
    TSE - You cannot compare the massive work with huge samples that Ashcroft is doing with that small scale marginal polling in 2009. It is highly misleading to make that point which you do repeatedly.

Yes things can change and did so in late autumn 2009 but that doesn't negate what we are seeing at themoment.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Itajai said:

Everyone expects REd to do badly in the debates. But will it save him? If he again says absolutely nothing worthwhile on the economy or immigration I do not see how that could be spun to his advantage.

I don't know that he will do badly in the debates. I doubt any body will. Miliband does not have a record to defend or promote. Like Clegg last time he can be sweetness and light and promise the moon.
  • Options
    isam said:

Watching Cameron on Marr, and thinking about Eds speech I find it amazing that people would find Ed more impressive... And I am inclined to agree with those who say he won't be PM... I find myself wanting him to do well in a kind of cheering the underdog way, but leading our country?

Can't see it

The opinion polls say different, but aren't they always miles out this far away from elections? The euro ones were absolutely useless

I'm perhaps being naively optimistic, but I think he might be a decent PM. He's bright; people who know him seem to like him (the one thing we know from the most bitter years of the Blair/Brown struggles is that he was the about the only person who could effect a rapprochement between the two). So though his ability to communicate with the public is poor, in private he does seem to be a more empathetic and conciliatory figure.
  • Options
    Fascinating stuff! I bet the pols hate him & wish all this was restricted to 'private polling'!

Meanwhile, as Newmark has removed himself from the news, the spotlight has swung onto the Mirror:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/28/sunday-mirror-pressure-reveal-details-tory-minister-sexting-sting-brooks-newmark
  • Options
    Itajai said:

Everyone does not expect Ed to badly in the debates . Pb Tories such as yourself may expect that just as you expected wrongly that Clegg would do badly in the 2010 debates .
  • Options
    A well meaning buffoon. Just what we need.

We might as well get a leftie comedian as PM. At least we´ll get the laughs.
  • Options

Fascinating stuff! I bet the pols hate him & wish all this was restricted to 'private polling'!

Meanwhile, as Newmark has removed himself from the news, the spotlight has swung onto the Mirror:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/28/sunday-mirror-pressure-reveal-details-tory-minister-sexting-sting-brooks-newmark

Red on red for Red?

• Options
    ISAM The euro polls did generally have UKIP ahead, most polls at this stage predict the winner, but the key factor is the UKIP vote and if the Tories can win some of it back
  • Options
    "Readers here will know that I have little time for UKIP, and I can’t claim to be an admirer of either Mr Reckless or of Douglas Carswell, the two recent defectors.

Even so, by comparison with the fake moralizing of Mr Shapps, both UKIP and its new MPs are praiseworthy and honourable. They are groping towards the truth about this country, and they have been prepared to undergo risk and abuse to do so. Much as I wish this long overdue crisis had come five years ago (when we could have been saved from so much) I am glad it has at last arrived."

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2014/09/the-tory-party-should-examine-itself-before-accusing-others-of-lying-.html
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Itajai said:

Everyone does not expect Ed to badly in the debates . Pb Tories such as yourself may expect that just as you expected wrongly that Clegg would do badly in the 2010 debates .
    Long time since I voted Tory!

Had no view on Clegg in 2010. Was a bit surprised all and sundry thought he did well though.
  • Options
    SeanT I remain convinced it will end up being another Tory LD Coalition
  • Options
    Itajai said:

Itajai said:

Are you old enough to have ever voted ? Judging by your postings the answer is No .
  • Options
    I wonder what all the third sector charity workers do on a sunday? - you never see them in the pub...
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited September 2014
    I believe I made this 'hopeful' point last night when referring to Winker Reckless.

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2014/09/has-reckless-done-cameron-a-favour.html

cameron in his speech should make a head on challenge to his party - if you want to join UKIP just go, just walk out the door, don't turnaround now, you aren't welcome any more. Let's get rid of the headbangers!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Itajai said:

Itajai said:

Are you old enough to have ever voted ? Judging by your postings the answer is No .

The bitter condescension of the arrogant leftie.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

I think Labour are fine in the north, but they are in big trouble in Scotland, and haven't a hope in most parts of the South.

And I'm not sure any party's brand is good enough to withstand a leader as poor as Miliband.

What we do know for sure is that - as with indyref - the TV debates will be crucial. On Ed's side is the fact that everyone will expect him to do badly.

The TV debates will decide the election.
    I was under the impression there is some doubt about the TV debates going ahead.

David Cameron has said the last debates in 2010 took to much out of the campaign.

If they are to go ahead on the proposed PM`s timetable of outside the campaign,
    they might not decide anything.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    Anybody that thinks Ed Miliband is going to gain 100 seats at the election is living in cloud cuckoo land.

I've always thought Hung Parliament, Con largest party was most likely in 2015. Given the behavior of "The Right" I now think Hung Parliament, Lab largest largest party is most likely, but we're not going to see Ed sweeping all before him with a thumping great majority.

It'll be 1974 at best for Ed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It kinda don't

Ukip are massively on the up in the North... Anyone denying it is ignoring all evidence...

number crunchers blog showed that UKIP are eating into labours vote too, just because it isn't producing instant results, doesn't mean it isn't slowly but surely happening

18 months ago I offered 4/6 ukip under 10% to a few lucky punters on here... Ladbrokes were 1/6 at the time... They thought they were on a good thing, but the odds say different now

in terms of GE 2015, maybe not too many if any ukip gains from labour, but if you want to bet on the number in 2020 I'm happy to take you or anyone else on
    It showed the UKIP vote share up by 31% in Rotherham, compared to 4 years ago. That's a huge increase.

• Options
    Mr. Scrapheap, a big if, but you're right (as is ConHome).
  • Options
    Oh my - I am feeling sooo fresh for this Lord A poll/post.

Watch out PB non-tories!!!!!!!
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It kinda don't

I was talking about actually winning seats, I've been criticised by a few Kippers for pointing out that UNS and FPTP screws UKIP.

That polling confirmed I was right, 'twas ever thus.
  • Options

Although there are wild variations in the behaviour of individual seats the overall position in the Con/Lib contests is a minute swing from Con to Lib Dem

If the Lib Dems finish up with 7% or so of the vote, there won't be many of them left.
  • Options

TSE - You cannot compare the massive work with huge samples that Ashcroft is doing with that small scale marginal polling in 2009. It is highly misleading to make that point which you do repeatedly.

Yes things can change and did so in late autumn 2009 but that doesn't negate what we are seeing at themoment.

I did point that out

What makes the Ashcroft polling so good is the large sample sizes in each of the constituencies (usually around 1,000, which is the same as some of some GB wide VI polls), so we can draw definitive conclusions.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ISAM The euro polls did generally have UKIP ahead, most polls at this stage predict the winner, but the key factor is the UKIP vote and if the Tories can win some of it back

The key factor is that the 2010 LD switchers remain with LAB. No erosion is happening & they represent a lot of votes - maybe 6-7% of those who will turnout.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

isam said:

Can't see it

I'm perhaps being naively optimistic, but I think he might be a decent PM. He's bright; people who know him seem to like him (the one thing we know from the most bitter years of the Blair/Brown struggles is that he was the about the only person who could effect a rapprochement between the two). So though his ability to communicate with the public is poor, in private he does seem to be a more empathetic and conciliatory figure.
    Everything you (and others) say about Miliband was said about Hollande. He is weak, but a decent chap at heart, he plays badly on TV, but he has hidden strengths, he is a socialist but he will still run the economy well, he looks like a twonk but he is surprisingly ruthless blah de blah

Then when Hollande got in to power it turned out he was indeed a weak, uncharismatic, socialist twonk, and a f*cking disaster as president.

So it will be with Ed. What You See is What We Will Get.
    Talking of Hollande he has lost control of the Seante in today's election and the FN have picked up their first seats in the upper house.
  • Options
    From the focus groups:

When discussion turned to Europe, few spontaneously mentioned the referendum pledge, and many were unaware of it even when prompted. Few were enthused by the idea and only a small minority said it would be central to their voting decision.

More noticed in relation to Europe were David Cameron’s “rows” with other EU leaders. Few could remember the details, let alone the name of Mr Juncker, but there was strong approval for the PM being willing to “stand up to” Europe even if he did not win.
  • Options
    So normally a lurker, but keen for a punt, I notice BET365 have (for most seats at election) Labour at 4/5 and Conservative at 1/1. Conservative odds are shortening, yet all polls lead to a significant Labour majority.
    Taking your political hats off, and donning your punters' apparel, how much value in 4/5? Why are the Conservatives so short at evens when it would take a 3-4 point swing from Labour, on current polling, to take them close to most seats?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Your whippet speaks French as well AlanB??
  • Options
    Itajai said:

Itajai said:

Itajai said:

The bitter condescension of the arrogant leftie.
    That would count as a 'non-denial denial' then.......

• Options
    Flightpath Ashcroft is not Cameron's No1 fan to put it mildly, but his data is useful I would admit, what it shows is what everyone else is showing, the main winners at the moment are UKIP, not Labour
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828

HYUFD said:

The key factor is that the 2010 LD switchers remain with LAB. No erosion is happening & they represent a lot of votes - maybe 6-7% of those who will turnout.

I wonder how many months into power it'll be before the 2010 Lib-Dem switchers find Ed to be let-down, LOL!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

t UKIP doing well in the North/with the working class is all fart and no follow through.
    It kinda don't

I tend to agree with that. As I've pointed out many times, UKIP are mirroring the SNP's progress - going from joke to irritant to player to potential governing party to actual power. Their problem is that they face FPTP, but they seem to be overcoming that. Right now they are at the stage where they are moving from "irritant" to "player".

It could still, easily, go wrong, but if the trajectory continues they will be in office some time in the 2020s, presumably in Coalition with the Tories. And they will seize support from all parties, especially Labour in the north.
    If you had told me four years ago I'd be voting ukip I'd have laughed in your face

In 2010/11 you actually called me an ugly lefty tit!!! Haha

But no one believes what i say on here now because I'm a kipper... Mike gives it the big one but won't bet against me etc

My parents are lifelong labour and public sector workers... One is voting ukip the other is on the fence... But hates immigration and thinks Miliband is a wimp!

Let's take Southam Observer... Not voting labour, and his mother, lifelong labour, is voting ukip because of political correctness

Ukip are up 31 points in Rotherham... And the editor of this site is saying that proves they aren't doing well in the North!!!!

It's borderline madness

Look at the betting markets over the last 18 months... Ukip to do well in any way you wish to suggest has shortened in price

If 18 months ago you'd predicted

Won euros
    Scottish MEP
    Two Tory defectors
    Established as 3rd in polls
    Odds on favourites for three parliamentary seats
    13/8 to win five or more

People on here would never have had it ... But it's all true
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2014
    Itajai said:

Yes, this is what I'm worried about. Ed CAN be good in debates, if he's saying interesting things and pushing interesting policies -- the argument he was making in 2013 about how big businesses (especially energy companies) were out of control and should be forced to act more in normal people's interests rather than just trying to maximise their profits, that's atleast an interesting argument that would get people's attention, regardless of whether people actually agree with it or not.

But my fear is that because Labour seem to have lost their nerve completely and have stopped having any "left-wing" policies or arguments, all that Ed is going to have left to say in the debates are boring platitudes. And if the content of what he's saying isn't interesting, there's going to be NOTHING to distract the viewer from how funny Ed's voice is, how awkward he looks, and how hard it is to imagine him meeting Obama or negotiating with Putin.
  • Options

Itajai said:

I don't know that he will do badly in the debates. I doubt any body will. Miliband does not have a record to defend or promote. Like Clegg last time he can be sweetness and light and promise the moon.
    It was Cameron last time in the debates who was sweetness and light, promising that people even though they did not need them,would continue to get free state handouts like bus passes and tv licences etc.
    Also no VAT increases, everyone with any sense, thought we can not go on like this with
    politicians trying to please everyone, and can not bring themselves to even mention a cut, after a world wide banking meltdown.
    He did not deserve a majority none of them did.
    They in the last debates pedalled a myth , they all deserve a anti Westminster kicking .
  • Options
    Mr. Speaking, welcome to (posting on) pb.com.

Others will be able to give a more detailed answer but it's been mentioned a few times that there's a weird disconnect between constituency markets and the overall winner market for the forthcoming election.

Labour's vote is typically very helpfully distributed but it may be a bit less so this year, due to the SNP and UKIP. In addition, Miliband's not exactly enticing voters. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty close between the two major parties.

On defections: who was the last Labour defector?
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    So to recap...

1) Tory MP defects to UKIP

2) Tory MP quits in sleaze scandal

3) In depth poll of key marginal show Labour cruising for a large majority

PB has a discussion about how things are bad for Ed Miliband..... Beautiful
  • Options
    Have I got it right that Michael Green took to the stage at the Tory conference and denounced the duplicity of the UKIP defectors? Chutzpah.....
  • Options
    [If 18 months ago you'd predicted

Won euros
    Scottish MEP
    Two Tory defectors
    13/8 to win five or more]

Other than the last one - all the other points were very much predictable from, say, 12 months ago.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

t UKIP doing well in the North/with the working class is all fart and no follow through.
    It kinda don't

they will seize support from all parties, especially Labour in the north.
    If you had told me four years ago I'd be voting ukip I'd have laughed in your face

But no one believes what i say on here now because I'm a kipper... Mike gives it the big one but won't bet against me etc

My parents are lifelong labour and public sector workers... One is voting ukip the other is on the fence... But hates immigration and thinks Miliband is a wimp!

Let's take Southam Observer... Not voting labour, and his mother, lifelong labour, is voting ukip because of political correctness

Ukip are up 31 points in Rotherham... And the editor of this site is saying that proves they aren't doing well in the North!!!!

It's borderline madness

Look at the betting markets over the last 18 months... Ukip to do well in any way you wish to suggest has shortened in price

Won euros
    Scottish MEP
    Two Tory defectors
    13/8 to win five or more

My girlfriend - 26 years old, WWC, policewoman - says her family have never voted before. But now they ARE voting. And they're all voting UKIP.
    She got any single mates??!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,855
    edited September 2014
    I doubt it will be a majority quite as high as that, but it is getting increasingly difficult to see anything other than a Labour win. Good scores on the economy and vs Ed M seem to have no impact whatsoever on that Labour brand. All they need do is increase their share a few measly percent while the Tories fail to match 2010. Nailed on.
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I wonder how many months into power it'll be before the 2010 Lib-Dem switchers find Ed to be let-down, LOL!

I think they have the conviction of the converted - I believe they rate Ed more highly than anyone else does - so that time may not come. For the general Labour voter on the other hand? It may not take that long, although for a couple of years they can rely on blaming the Tories at least. Granted, they won't need advice to do that, some in Labour were still rolling out the blame Tories attack 13 years in, and if they manage a miracle the Tories will be using the blame Labour attack for at least five more years.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Itajai said:

Yes, this is what I'm worried about. Ed CAN be good in debates, if he's saying interesting things and pushing interesting policies -- the argument he was making in 2013 about how big businesses (especially energy companies) were out of control and should be forced to act more in normal people's interests rather than just trying to maximise their profits, that's atleast an interesting argument that would get people's attention, regardless of whether people actually agree with it or not.

But my fear is that because Labour seem to have lost their nerve completely and have stopped having any "left-wing" policies or arguments, all that Ed is going to have left to say in the debates are boring platitudes. And if the content of what he's saying isn't interesting, there's going to be NOTHING to distract the viewer from how funny Ed's voice is, how awkward he looks, and how hard it is to imagine him meeting Obama or negotiating with Putin.
    He is much better in debates (going from PMQs) than giving speeches, he should be kept away from giving them
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

So normally a lurker, but keen for a punt, I notice BET365 have (for most seats at election) Labour at 4/5 and Conservative at 1/1. Conservative odds are shortening, yet all polls lead to a significant Labour majority.
    Taking your political hats off, and donning your punters' apparel, how much value in 4/5? Why are the Conservatives so short at evens when it would take a 3-4 point swing from Labour, on current polling, to take them close to most seats?

I bet a bit on Labour a while ago since the odds have been similar for some time and they're good value at that price. As you know, the Tories need to have a lead of over 5% before they get a sniff of being the largest party, they've been nowhere near that for ages, and Ukip are seriously denting their chances.

I can think of 3 reasons why the Tories are close in the betting despite all that. 1. Most political bettors are on the right and many of them will let their heart rule their head. 2. The economy is improving, and this combined with the agreement that Ed M is pretty duff, point towards an improvement in Tory chances between now and May. 3. The Ukip effect is likely to start hitting Labour more and more.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Further evidence from Ashcroft that people's opinions on the Tories' welfare cuts in principle, and in actual practice, are two completely different things:

Most participants supported the principle and the detail of the government’s welfare reforms. There were some reservations, however, particularly among Defectors but also among some Considerers and even Loyalists who felt that some deserving cases, especially disabled people, were being treated unduly harshly.

“Certain parts of society are being scapegoated. I liked the benefits cap but it was the rhetoric
    that went with it.” - Defector

“If you’re on the borderline they are a bit harsh.” - Considerer
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I would not bet on Labour or Tories winning a majority. If I were putting a couple of bets on, it would be either Labour or Tories winning most seats, but not a majority. It will be in the hands of Nick Clegg to decide again and I think he will back the party with most seats, even if they did not win most votes cast. It would be very democratic, as we could have the Lib Dems staying in government even though they lost half of their 2010 votes.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    @iSam

If you are looking at a UKIP gain in the midlands, have a look at NW Leics. The area is largely WWC in Coalville and around, has elected a BNP councillor in recent times, has few ethnic minorities and has HS2 passing through it without stopping. There have been a couple of Council defectors to UKIP and there has been talk of the incumbent Andrew Bridgen defecting.

If UKIP cannot take seats like this then they are nowhere in the midlands.
  • Options
    hucks - it wouldn't be up to Clegg, it would be up to the Lib Dems. Their membership has actually gone up recently after being in freefall. I wonder why? Perhaps to stop their party doing another deal with the Tories.
  • Options
    OGH The LD defectors were basically Labour voters on holiday over Iraq, even with them Labour is only on 35%. Much of the UKIP vote are Tories on holiday, if significant numbers returned to the Blues the Tories would be ahead
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Itajai said:

Yes, he is going to achieve something not achieved since Gladstone in 1880.

Lead his party back to majority government after a single term of Opposition...

Isn't he?
  • Options
    Danny565 The key is they support the welfare cap, the battle is to change the rhetoric from the likes of the 'bedroom tax' to the 'spareroom subsidy'
  • Options
    [Something else I've said many times before is that a few months prior to the GE Cameron needs to engineer a huge, but meaningless row with Brussels, where it looks like he is standing up for Britain, (but in fact it means zip). The polls show I'm right.]

Nice plan - but us brits aren't good enough at the Eu diplomacy thing to be able to consider this. Who cares - they've bothered to learn the lingua franca - I'm sure they often have our best interests at heart.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    The number that sticks out for me is that only 15% of voters are "feeling the benefits of an economic recovery". Such a bad stat makes it very hard for any government to win.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 The key is they support the welfare cap, the battle is to change the rhetoric from the likes of the 'bedroom tax' to the 'spareroom subsidy'

They support them in principle, but as in most things, people base their decisions on the outcomes/effects -- and as we saw with the poll this morning that gave Labour a lead on welfare, that is totally different.
  • Options

JBriskin said:

[If 18 months ago you'd predicted

Won euros
    Scottish MEP
    Two Tory defectors
    13/8 to win five or more]

Other than the last one - all the other points were very much predictable from, say, 12 months ago.

Well that's debatable, esp if you suggested it on here, but in any case, I said 18 months ago
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Itajai said:

Isn't he?
    Yes. He doesn't need anywhere like 100 gains to manage that.

• Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It kinda don't

It's borderline madness

Won euros
    Scottish MEP
    Two Tory defectors
    13/8 to win five or more

My girlfriend - 26 years old, WWC, policewoman - says her family have never voted before. But now they ARE voting. And they're all voting UKIP.
    We heard a lot of similar tales from the Yes camp just a couple of weeks ago. Colour me sceptical.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Fire up that super computer Rod. You're going to need some new calculations...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OGH The LD defectors were basically Labour voters on holiday over Iraq, even with them Labour is only on 35%. Much of the UKIP vote are Tories on holiday, if significant numbers returned to the Blues the Tories would be ahead

But why would they do that, now that UKIP appear to have chances of winning seat? A win in Reckless' seat has to be essential at this point for the Tories to maximise the chances of Tories on holiday coming home, as it were, though the amount willing to may be slighter than they imagine.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

Itajai said:

Isn't he?
    Wouldn't surprise me that much. Our system supports 2 party politics. His biggest opponents are the Tories, who's brand is complete dogs*** and haven't won an election since 1992. Not to mention the economic squeeze going on.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It's borderline madness

Won euros
    Scottish MEP
    Two Tory defectors
    13/8 to win five or more

Yeah, but they seem, mainly, to be gay men.

How important is gender to you, as compared to single status?
    Ha both are important, but comparing the two, gender infinitely more so
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

TSE- that is a pretty gross metaphor.
    By the way, I want to put the LD switchers in context- they are Labour switch backers, and only gave their support to the LD's in the first place because Brown was hopeless and thought Cameron was non threatening. Now after a term of Tory govt, they are rock solid switch backers and a core Labour group.
    The danger to Labour will be leakage to UKIP and apathy from the 29% who voted Brown last time- very few will go to the Tories.
    After my disastrous predictions for the Scottish election, based solely on subjective bias, I predict that it is almost impossible for Labour to poll over 33% in a GE with numpty bumpy as leader, and therefore impossible for them to secure a majority.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It kinda don't

It's borderline madness

If 18 months ago you'd

Gay men planning to vote kipper? I suppose Roger Helmer may appeal to the BDSM demographic.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Wow

FN win both senate seats in the Correze.

Thats like UKIP winning Doncaster and Rotherham.
  • Options

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It kinda don't

If

We heard a lot of similar tales from the Yes camp just a couple of weeks ago. Colour me sceptical.
    Sure, although that was about a choice that once taken could never be taken back. Someone voting UKIP and then regretting it, for whatever reason, gets a chance to rectify that mistake five years later. There is far less risk to voting UKIP, only the threat of Ed M, which Labour's position in the polls despite his unpopularity, shows is not something that concerns people.
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It's borderline madness

Won euros
    Scottish MEP
    Two Tory defectors
    13/8 to win five or more

Ha ha #fail

• Options
    Socialist activists... Maybe the Tories can form an alliance with them?
  • Options
    Much though I've believed we would win next year for a good while, its politics. Nothing is guaranteed until it happens, and even then what actually was said/done can be revised by revisionist shenanigans so that the opposite is believed. And then of course we have events, dear boy.

We were told for years that people vote for what they think will be the best result for them. And that negates the Ed is odd/crap/nerdy issue as his inability to eat on camera doesn't counterbalance "I'll be better off" or the other reasons people have for voting Labour.

These are not issues that will swing VI much to the annoyance and general wailing of many here. But its not game over, not by a long shot. Who knows what could happen between now and May. The Tories should be focused on this, not on the leadership succession.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It kinda don't

If

Sure, although that was about a choice that once taken could never be taken back. Someone voting UKIP and then regretting it, for whatever reason, gets a chance to rectify that mistake five years later. There is far less risk to voting UKIP, only the threat of Ed M, which Labour's position in the polls despite his unpopularity, shows is not something that concerns people.
    I think the point is that many did not turn out on the day. That is the problem of relying on the 2010 DNV.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Some signs in Cameron's Sunday Times interview (not paywalled) that he will produce a useful speech. Hopefully the Tories can show Mr and Mrs Bloggs that the party is "on their side" and that they will actually prosper after the austerity, maybe even get a "reward" for suffering it stoically.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/People/article1464734.ece?shareToken=3a8efe8cdc12e8d432faa7d1c894bc30

When he speaks on Wednesday, Cameron will not repeat his no-notes performance of 2007, but will echo his 2006 speech urging Conservatives to “let sunshine win the day” ...

“The next stage is about demonstrating what this means for every family in the country ..."

He added: “What it should feel like in 2020 is not that there is light at the end of the tunnel but that we’re through the tunnel and we’re part of a country that we’re really proud of.”
  • Options
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

By the way, I want to put the LD switchers in context- they are Labour switch backers, and only gave their support to the LD's in the first place because Brown was hopeless and thought Cameron was non threatening. Now after a term of Tory govt, they are rock solid switch backers and a core Labour group.
    The danger to Labour will be leakage to UKIP and apathy from the 29% who voted Brown last time- very few will go to the Tories.
    After my disastrous predictions for the Scottish election, based solely on subjective bias, I predict that it is almost impossible for Labour to poll over 33% in a GE with numpty bumpy as leader, and therefore impossible for them to secure a majority.
    I think fewer and fewer people identify with any party. I expect many of the LD switchers are left-leaning in general but not particularly pro-Labour. They will vote red to get rid of the Tories though.
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It's borderline madness

Won euros
    Scottish MEP
    Two Tory defectors
    13/8 to win five or more

You may want to be specific.....

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Listening to The sages on PB it's a case of a leader who is so bad he can't win leading a Party so far ahead it can't lose. All I can suggest is asking Southern Observer to tell us- no ifs no buts- who is definitely going to win.
  • Options
    A vote share of 35%, this far out, seems a fairly shaky platform on which to project an overall majority. What if it drops 2-3%?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Dadge said:

The number that sticks out for me is that only 15% of voters are "feeling the benefits of an economic recovery". Such a bad stat makes it very hard for any government to win.

Agreed if you have not had a wage increase in 6 years, listening to a balding 50 year old politico telling you that GDP figures are looking up for the country.
    However you still have to still tighten your belt for another six years, because the country is reducing its deficit very slowly is a hard sell.

It might help if they explained the difference between debt and deficit to the many , rather than the few.
  • Options

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

It kinda don't

If

I think the point is that many did not turn out on the day. That is the problem of relying on the 2010 DNV.
    Granted relying on DNVers would be a problem (though they are not relying on them alone, clearly), but there could be a sweet spot in animating people to care about an issue enough to consider voting for the first time, without them having to worry about it making their situation potentially worse when they actually contemplate making the choice.
  • Options
    Salmond getting booed as he gets ready to present Ryder Cup to Paul Mcginley
  • Options
    [But the YES camp were quite correct in the anecdata.]

They were asking SCOTTISH people if they were Scottish - and got 45%.

Epic fails.
  • Options

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Itajai said:

I think fewer and fewer people identify with any party. I expect many of the LD switchers are left-leaning in general but not particularly pro-Labour. They will vote red to get rid of the Tories though.
    I thought the LD switchers were showing as even more pro Ed M than 2010 Lab voters, which would suggest that if they were not particularly pro-Lab before when they thought they were voting Red Liberal, they are now, surely?
This discussion has been closed.