Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov and Survation phone polls are out – It is still too

Comments

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Ave_it said:

No 55-45 in Glasgow stuart...

They no where their benefits are paid from :)

So, are you betting your mortgage at 11/8 with Paddy Power on a NO victory in Glasgow?
    as I have paid it off there's no point!

££££££££££££££
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    Who is better, Brown or Cameron??

Any Arsenal fans on here? Who was the better manager, Don Howe or Bruce Rioch?
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Stuart

You still haven't given me your % prediction for tomorrow.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,184
    No speaker on Newsnight asks how Salmond and Sturgeon can talk of future generations when neither have children
  • Options
    Wouldnt a phone poll miss the many poorer Scots who have got rid of their landline for a mobile phone contract?...many of the poorest here in Wales are increasingly removing their phone lines...anecdotal i know
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Hugh said:

Remind me, if the Union breaks up, who would be the Conservative and Unionist PM in charge of the Union at the time?

It's probably not going to break up, but, if it does, then Michael Ancram will be yet another Conservative spokesman from the early days of the Blair government who turned out to be absolutely right:

The Government's proposals carry within them the virus that will begin to eat away, and eventually cause to unravel, the bonds that hold the United Kingdom together. It is not written into the White Paper, but the virus is there. The proposals are the first step on the way to an independent Scotland and the break-up of the United Kingdom.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199798/cmhansrd/vo970731/debtext/70731-11.htm
    So that's another disaster the blair/brown government brought us,that government MUST rank the worst in modern British political history.
    Yes, but that record will likely be broken in the next few years if Miliband wins.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Hugh said:

Remind me, if the Union breaks up, who would be the Conservative and Unionist PM in charge of the Union at the time?

It's probably not going to break up, but, if it does, then Michael Ancram will be yet another Conservative spokesman from the early days of the Blair government who turned out to be absolutely right:

The Government's proposals carry within them the virus that will begin to eat away, and eventually cause to unravel, the bonds that hold the United Kingdom together. It is not written into the White Paper, but the virus is there. The proposals are the first step on the way to an independent Scotland and the break-up of the United Kingdom.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199798/cmhansrd/vo970731/debtext/70731-11.htm
    So that's another disaster the blair/brown government brought us,that government MUST rank the worst in modern British political history.
    But Cameron doesn't think so, he sees nothing wrong with being Continuity Blair.

He's a improvement on them B.....ds.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014

Why do you think that Cameron has shown no interest in sorting out the English democratic deficit during his nine years as Conservative leader and four years as prime minister ?

By doing so he would have ensured

A stronger Union (which clearly does mean much to him)
    A happier England
    A happier Scotland
    Electoral benefits for the Conservative party

Instead he has allowed the virus described by Ancram to remain untreated.

Because there has not been any real possibility of doing so, without a big majority. Even with a majority it would not be easy. It's not for lack of will.

About a year after the last election, I attended a dinner where a cabinet minister whose brief covered this was speaking, and I was able to chat with the said minister before the dinner. I asked what was being done about the West Lothian Question. The answer was very interesting. The first part of the response was to point out that it mattered only in certain circumstances. If either main party has a reasonable majority, it's of academic interest only. The second part was to point out that, yes, the coalition (if the Conservatives could get LibDem support - not obvious) could do something about it quite easily - but it would be equally easy for Labour to undo it next time they could muster a bare majority (including Scottish MPs) in the UK parliament.

The truth is, it's a God-awful mess, and there is no easy solution without the consent of all the parties. I hope that we might finally get some progress on this as part of the fall-out from IndyRef. We shall see.
  • Options

Hugh said:

And the Tories then embraced devolution and accepted they had been mistaken to oppose it. So clearly they rejected the Ancram analysis.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Super, thanks Andy
    AndyJS said:

Plato said:

Assuming the Western Isles come in first - do we know the timetable for the results?

I've got Thurs/Fri blocked out for interweb watching.

rcs1000 said:

Jimmy and Saddened: I'm afraid Yes will be nowhere near your estimates. Just 28 hours until the first results :-)

This is my attempt based on PA times. The PA times are still there if you want to ignore my adjustments:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WX0VkvxhGdACIr4FYUue_Cryk6JNRg743gsgoETYtw0/htmlview?usp=drive_web
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

NO victory in GLASGOW lengthening: now 11/8 (PP) from 4/5 earlier today.

Best YES price still 8/11 (Shadsy).

It wouldn't be an ideal situation for Glasgow to vote Yes and Scotland No?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2014
    AndyJS said:

Alistair Carmichael seems to think Shetland will vote No and he's the local Westminster MP:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/17/shetland-may-reconsider-place-scotland-yes-vote-alistair-carmichael

The Shetlands and Orkneys are a peculiar case, they want independence from scotland.

Just like Ulster since Irish independence, they don't want to be part of the newly independent country.
  • Options
    There is now an ARB on the GLASGOW market:

Yes 5/6 (Ladbrokes)
    No 11/8 (Paddy Power)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Alistair Carmichael seems to think Shetland will vote No and he's the local Westminster MP:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/17/shetland-may-reconsider-place-scotland-yes-vote-alistair-carmichael

The Shetlands and Orkneys are a peculiar case, they want independence from scotland.
    Yes but how will they vote tomorrow? I thought both would vote No pretty heavily.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

antifrank said:

Either way, I expect the Scots will ultimately be fine. As the Grail knight told Indiana Jones, choose wisely.

Since the average scot is no expert, they would choose the flashy cup with the jewels.
    "You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it."
    -Man wearing Fedora to young Indiana Jones.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    So, it looks like a marginal NO. Not convinced. I've been through so many referenda campaigns in France and the status quo is always underestimated by pollsters. Combine that with heavy advance postal voting when the NO lead was clearer and the higher PTV of elderly and female voters and it's not marginal at all.

I expect a clear NO. Then, we have to clean up this mess. A highly divided Scotland and a resentful England is not a happy prospect. As disunited a Kingdom as if YES were to win, but with the added problem that we now have to live together for at least a generation.

There are simply no winners and the only people to come out of this with any credit are Gordon Brown and Danny Alexander.

Representative Democracy should always be favoured over Direct Democracy for these reasons. We live in a disinformed society and the rule of those who are the least uninformed is better than the tyranny of populism.

Personally, I blame Mel Gibson.
  • Options

And the Tories then embraced devolution and accepted they had been mistaken to oppose it. So clearly they rejected the Ancram analysis.

I'm not sure that they rejected the analysis, but, either way, that doesn't alter the fact that it is Labour who are responsible for the constitutional mess which Blair's boshed-up devolution landed us with.
  • Options
    AllyMAllyM Posts: 260
    Penderyn said:

Wouldnt a phone poll miss the many poorer Scots who have got rid of their landline for a mobile phone contract?...many of the poorest here in Wales are increasingly removing their phone lines...anecdotal i know

Pretty sure I saw the Survation phone poll called both land and mobile phones.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

If the Conservative and Unionist PM David Cameron doesn't oversee the breakup of his Union, he will have a hell of job trying to reconcile his Party with Gordon Brown's DevoMore that ultimately saved the Union.
    Embarrassing yourself again if you think "Conservative and Unionist" is making some kind of point. Wrong Union. Stick to misogyny.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

Isn't she from somewhere up North? She also started wetting her pants about Boris being mayor of London despite not being from London. [snip]

I've no idea were Westwood originated from, but she's certainly lived in London for many, many decades - she set up a shop in King's Road Chelsea in the early 1970's, - I saw it regularly when I lived just up the road in Beaufort Street.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The networks have started covering the Scottish referendum this week. At my Rotary Club meeting today, the only two issues for discussion were the NFL (Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Greg Hardy and domestic violence and child abuse), and the Scottish referendum.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Super, thanks Andy

AndyJS said:

Plato said:

Assuming the Western Isles come in first - do we know the timetable for the results?

I've got Thurs/Fri blocked out for interweb watching.

rcs1000 said:

Jimmy and Saddened: I'm afraid Yes will be nowhere near your estimates. Just 28 hours until the first results :-)

This is my attempt based on PA times. The PA times are still there if you want to ignore my adjustments:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WX0VkvxhGdACIr4FYUue_Cryk6JNRg743gsgoETYtw0/htmlview?usp=drive_web
    Although I obviously hope it's right I hope people aren't betting their life savings using it.
  • Options
    I wish I could remember the other name I used to call IOS!

:)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    fpt

Sorry but I didn't think Brown was that wonderful. He sounds like a demagogue. Perhaps that's the sort of thing that goes down well at the moment with the supposed intimidation coming from the Yes camp. It doesn't make me any more relaxed about what might happen come Friday morning.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Yes but how will they vote tomorrow? I thought both would vote No pretty heavily.
    Since they don't want to be part of scotland, voting NO is the only option, as voting YES would mean that they get their hated Holyrood parliament on top of their heads, they would prefer Westminster to put a limit on Holyrood's say over their land.
    It's a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
  • Options
    isam said:

Who is better, Brown or Cameron??

Any Arsenal fans on here? Who was the better manager, Don Howe or Bruce Rioch?

In footy terms ;-)

Which one got the ManU of nations relegated (brown) and which one got them promoted again with a record points haul(Cameron)but he might after let the star player leave on the down side ;-)

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Because there has not been any real possibility of doing so, without a big majority.

...which makes Cameron a lucky general.

Circumstances have now presented their selves which make EV4EL seem like it must happen.

Cameron hasn't given the commitment to Barnett that some seem to be imagining. He's told the Scots they can fund their health service how they choose using their powers to increase Scottish taxes.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ben_M?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited September 2014
    If I wasn't an atheist, I'd believe he'd been possessed by a demon, post Braveheart - or maybe even then just to whip up fervor ; ^)
    Fenman said:

• Options
    Just saw the Brown speech and thought it was pretty good. The thing with Brown is that while he was flawed there was no doubt he was/is a heavyweight politician. He may not have saved the world but could save the Union. Makes Cameron/Milliband/Clegg look like lightweights.
  • Options
    Crick: Ed pulled out of a No rally in Edinburgh this evening at the last minute.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelLCrick
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ave_it said:

Did it begin with C ;-)

• Options

Ave_it said:

Ben_M?
    CHILON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Plato said:

If I wasn't an atheist, I'd believe he'd been possessed by a demon, post Braveheart - or maybe even then just to whip up fervor ; ^)

Fenman said:

"In the Year of our Lord 2014, patriots of Scotland - starving and outnumbered - charged the fields of Ballot Boxes. They voted like warrior poets; they voted like Scotsmen, and won their freedom."

• Options
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Since they don't want to be part of scotland, voting NO is the only option, as voting YES would mean that they get their hated Holyrood parliament on top of their heads, they would prefer Westminster to put a limit on Holyrood's say over their land.
    It's a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
    Pleased to hear it. My prediction is Shetland 81% No and Orkney 77% No.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No speaker on Newsnight asks how Salmond and Sturgeon can talk of future generations when neither have children

I miss Paxman.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Ben_M?
    Oh yeah!! I remember now LOL
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231
    antifrank said:

Either way, I expect the Scots will ultimately be fine. As the Grail knight told Indiana Jones, choose wisely.

Welcome back, Antifrank!!

I hope your sabbatical was as splendid as you hoped it would be.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Did it begin with C ;-)

:):):)
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Ben_M?

Knew it began with C ;-)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231
    I know everyone is now assuming a No outcome.

I just want to mention the Truman/Dewey presidential contest in 1948. That's all.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Any polling on how the Orkney & Shetland Indy parties are doing?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

I'm not sure that they rejected the analysis, but, either way, that doesn't alter the fact that it is Labour who are responsible for the constitutional mess which Blair's boshed-up devolution landed us with.
    That would be complete and utter nonsense. You would be better off figuring out why so many people dislike your party so much they are prepared to leave the UK.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    AndyJS said:

Crick: Ed pulled out of a No rally in Edinburgh this evening at the last minute.

He might have received death threats?
  • Options

Why do you think that Cameron has shown no interest in sorting out the English democratic deficit during his nine years as Conservative leader and four years as prime minister ?

By doing so he would have ensured

A stronger Union (which clearly does mean much to him)
    A happier England
    A happier Scotland
    Electoral benefits for the Conservative party

Instead he has allowed the virus described by Ancram to remain untreated.

Because there has not been any real possibility of doing so, without a big majority. Even with a majority it would not be easy. It's not for lack of will.

About a year after the last election, I attended a dinner where a cabinet minister whose brief covered this was speaking, and I was able to chat with the said minister before the dinner. I asked what was being done about the West Lothian Question. The answer was very interesting. The first part of the response was to point out that it mattered only in certain circumstances. If either main party has a reasonable majority, it's of academic interest only. The second part was to point out that, yes, the coalition (if the Conservatives could get LibDem support - not obvious) could do something about it quite easily - but it would be equally easy for Labour to undo it next time they could muster a bare majority (including Scottish MPs) in the UK parliament.

The truth is, it's a God-awful mess, and there is no easy solution without the consent of all the parties. I hope that we might finally get some progress on this as part of the fall-out from IndyRef. We shall see.
    Thanks for the response.

I take your point about a future Labour government being able to reverse EV4EL, which is why I've always preferred having a proper English parliament.

I think there's also an aspect that Cameron is embarrassed by his Englishness, especially his particular posh southern Tory branch of Englishness. I think this insecurity feeds through into numerous areas of his political thoughts.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Cyclefree said:

I know everyone is now assuming a No outcome.

I just want to mention the Truman/Dewey presidential contest in 1948. That's all.

I don't think the polls can tell us anything other than either side can win....
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Plato said:

Fenman said:

Lol Braveheart! I see what you've done there, see Scotland is voting for independence and the film Braveheart was kinda about Scottish independence!

Clever stuff ; ^)

Have a deep fried mars bar ; ^)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

He might have received death threats?
    Nope - Ed pulled out for fear Nat disruption would distract from the final hours before vote.

Crick's last words - "No disruption here"
  • Options
    Interesting how people are talking up Brown;s performances yet those same people savaged him on these very pages......"no more boom and bust" he cried....and those on the left and right savaged him
    The left claim he out thatchered thatcher. here....so amazing the same man is lauded here
  • Options

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

You're very exercised by the politics of Orkney & Shetland, have you ever visited them or are you just interested in getting your money grubbing hands on their resources?

• Options
    edited September 2014

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Overwhelming and historical majority it seems:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9794316/Alex-Salmond-warning-over-Shetland-oil-after-independence.html

"Mr Scott challenged the First Minister to “accept that fact”. When Shetland's local authority held a referendum 35 years ago asking if residents wanted to be part of an independent Scotland, the result was nine to one against."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/16/uk-scotland-independence-shetland-idUKBREA3F0SH20140416

"The oil belongs to us. We don't have to argue about that. It is ours," said Shetlander Hazel Mackenzie, 43, who works in the livestock auction house in Shetland's main town of Lerwick."

"I'd like to see ultimately something in Shetland on the Faroese model or possibly Guernsey or Jersey or the Isle of Man," said Ian Gidney, 57, who runs an online leather retailer."

""Scotland will need Shetland more than Shetland will need Scotland," said Caroline Miller, 56, an ex-Shetland councillor who now helps run a bed and breakfast hotel."

Oh the irony.

• Options
    Fenman said:

So, it looks like a marginal NO. Not convinced. I've been through so many referenda campaigns in France and the status quo is always underestimated by pollsters. Combine that with heavy advance postal voting when the NO lead was clearer and the higher PTV of elderly and female voters and it's not marginal at all.

I expect a clear NO. Then, we have to clean up this mess. A highly divided Scotland and a resentful England is not a happy prospect. As disunited a Kingdom as if YES were to win, but with the added problem that we now have to live together for at least a generation.

There are simply no winners and the only people to come out of this with any credit are Gordon Brown and Danny Alexander.

Representative Democracy should always be favoured over Direct Democracy for these reasons. We live in a disinformed society and the rule of those who are the least uninformed is better than the tyranny of populism.

How in the name of Ishmael has Danny Alexander come out of this with credit?!
  • Options
    Is it too late to add a prediction? If not i'll go for Yes at 49.87%
  • Options
    HowardHoward Posts: 97
    edited September 2014
    Tomorrow night in the wee hours, is there any way of telling how well it is going for each side after the first three or four of results are announced, so that there is more information around at 2 or 3 am? Could they compare the actual, announced, results with (say) the last 10 aggregated results from opinion poll data in each region?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

While I still think that EdM is the better of the two Milibands he really hasn't 'grown into' his job has he.

Back in 2011 I generously offered on this site to show EdM around his constituency for a mere £1,000 per day.

Looking at how EdM has instead turned out it would have been a bargain had he accepted the offer.

• Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    AndyJS said:

Andy what do you base your predictions on?

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "I just want to mention the Truman/Dewey presidential contest in 1948. "

I still think the closest parallel is Quebec 1995. The last three polls had "Oui" well ahead, yet "Non" still nicked it.

"Oui" had a charismatic leader in Lucien Bouchard, just as "Yes" do in Alex Salmond. The opposition was divided & dispirited. The Canadian premier (Chretien, a rich Toronto lawyer) was disliked in Quebec, as much as Cameron is disliked in Scotland.

"Oui" was strongest in the heavily working class areas. and "oui" had exactly the same problems with the currency question

There are so many parallels, even down to suggestions that Quebec be partitioned in the event of a "Oui" with Western Montreal, the Townships and Nouveau Quebec returning to Canada.

So, I must admit I think Scotland will play out the same way.

• Options
    Hugh said:

Fenman said:

How in the name of Ishmael has Danny Alexander come out of this with credit?!
    He did some skillful climbing up a stick on behalf of his organgrinder.
  • Options
    Howard said:

Tomorrow night in the wee hours, is there any way of telling how well it is going for each side after the first three or four of results are announced, so that there is more information around at 2 or 3 am? Could they compare the actual, announced, results with (say) the last 10 aggregated results from opinion poll data in each region?

I hope to do this, with Uniform and probabilistic projections, amongst others...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2014

Is it too late to add a prediction? If not i'll go for Yes at 49.87%

Not to late Mr johnstone - but you do need to add your prediction here to enter the compition

http://www.nojam.com/demo/pbindycomp/addprediction.php
  • Options

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

You're very exercised by the politics of Orkney & Shetland, have you ever visited them or are you just interested in getting your money grubbing hands on their resources?

Both.
    You're very exercised by the politics of a country you evidently know nothing about. Are you just interested in getting your money grubbing hands on our resources?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Chris_A said:

AndyJS said:

Andy what do you base your predictions on?

Shetland and Orkney have their own independence movements from scotland.
    Plus, Shetland held a local referendum, I think 37 years ago, if they want to be part of an independent scotland with NO winning 9 to 1.
  • Options
    Howard said:

Or v the last Scottish parliament results? Assigning snp to yes and others to no - with an estimate reallocation of others to yes?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9794316/Alex-Salmond-warning-over-Shetland-oil-after-independence.html

"Mr Scott challenged the First Minister to “accept that fact”. When Shetland's local authority held a referendum 35 years ago asking if residents wanted to be part of an independent Scotland, the result was nine to one against."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/16/uk-scotland-independence-shetland-idUKBREA3F0SH20140416

"The oil belongs to us. We don't have to argue about that. It is ours," said Shetlander Hazel Mackenzie, 43, who works in the livestock auction house in Shetland's main town of Lerwick."

"I'd like to see ultimately something in Shetland on the Faroese model or possibly Guernsey or Jersey or the Isle of Man," said Ian Gidney, 57, who runs an online leather retailer."

""Scotland will need Shetland more than Shetland will need Scotland," said Caroline Miller, 56, an ex-Shetland councillor who now helps run a bed and breakfast hotel."

Oh the irony.

So no polling then.
  • Options
    "Representative Democracy should always be favoured over Direct Democracy for these reasons. We live in a disinformed society and the rule of those who are the least uninformed is better than the tyranny of populism."

Surely the mass media takes some blame for misinforming the people no?

Are we forever to be treated like children with only 640MPS ruling 62million.

Doesnt seem that advanced to me
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Oh the irony.

So no polling then.
    No, just actual votes.

"When Shetland's local authority held a referendum 35 years ago asking if residents wanted to be part of an independent Scotland, the result was nine to one against."
  • Options
    What would SCO's top-level domain be? .sc .so. st .sl. sa. sn and .sd all taken .ab is still available.
  • Options
    HowardHoward Posts: 97
    edited September 2014
    RodCrosby said:

Howard said:

I hope to do this, with Uniform and probabilistic projections, amongst others...
    Oh, great. Would make it more exciting to watch. Have you got the data from all the polls put together already, for this purpose? Are you doing it here in the comments, or on twitter or some other place (sorry if I should know about you - I am new here!) Wonder if the BBC will do this.
  • Options

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Both.
    You're very exercised by the politics of a country you evidently know nothing about. Are you just interested in getting your money grubbing hands on our resources?

Both, in terms of the debate.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,036

On this note, an early night ready for tomorrow's late late late one

Iain Martin‏@iainmartin1·7 mins
    Only hours to go until Scotland's day of density.

'density' ? - not a Freudian slip by Mr Martin I take it?
    I'm sure it is entirely deliberate ...
    It's a Back to the Future reference

Or a typo.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Howard said:

Or v the last Scottish parliament results? Assigning snp to yes and others to no - with an estimate reallocation of others to yes?
    The problem with that is that so many Labour voters seem to have swung to Yes and apparently some SNP to no, so this cuts across parties in a complex way.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

What would SCO's top-level domain be? .sc .so. st .sl. sa. sn and .sd all taken .ab is still available.

.scot is already being used - see http://calico.scot/
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Howard said:

RodCrosby said:

Howard said:

Oh, great. Would make it more exciting to watch. Have you got the data from all the polls put together already, for this purpose? Are you doing it here in the comments, or on twitter or some other place (sorry if I should know about you - I am new here!) Wonder if the BBC will do this.
    AndyJS and numbercruncher have also put up spreadsheets with expected results by LA so you can gauge how results are going against expectations over the course of the night. (And maybe even use that to trade profitably!)

• Options
    Does anyone know when the IPSOS-MORI (for the Standard tomorrow) comes out?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Here is a paper submitted by Tavish Scot MSP and Liam McArthur MSP about Shetland and Orkney.

http://tavishscott.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Scotlands-Constitutional-Future-Northern-Isles.pdf

It makes the SNP cry in fear that the oil and the fish will be gone.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Oliver_PB said:

Chris_A said:

Can't be .ca (Caledonia) either, as it's taken (Canada). How ironic...

.cd maybe?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Jonathan said:

That would be complete and utter nonsense. You would be better off figuring out why so many people dislike your party so much they are prepared to leave the UK.

Tory vote in Scotland 2010 : 16.7% (out of 2.5 million voters)
    Labour vote in SE England 2010: 16.2% (out of 4.2 million voters)
    Labour vote in SW England 2010: 15.4% (out of 2.8 million voters)

• Options
    In Quebec they broke for No in the polling booth leading to an overstatement of Yes's by final polls...but...in Quebec this was the question:

"Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?"

That question is enough to surely make you lose the will to live. I could barely read it to the end. Alot of voters will have just marked "yes" or "no" without engaging with the question.

Tomorrow the question is:

"Should Scotland be an independent country?"

That's a very different question in terms of likely emotional reaction by voters...

I don't think we can necessarily assume we will see a "Quebec effect" breaking to no in the ballot booth tomorrow.

The market seems to be pricing in the "Quebec effect" however.

• Options
    Neil said:

Howard said:

RodCrosby said:

Howard said:

AndyJS and numbercruncher have also put up spreadsheets with expected results by LA so you can gauge how results are going against expectations over the course of the night. (And maybe even use that to trade profitably!)

Thanks. We should soon know if the polls are getting it wrong, then.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Oh the irony.

So no polling then.
    No, just actual votes.

"When Shetland's local authority held a referendum 35 years ago asking if residents wanted to be part of an independent Scotland, the result was nine to one against."
    I look forward* to your analysis of the run up to the 2015 GE based on the 1979 election.

*That's a lie, I couldn't give a toss.
  • Options
    I've added 47% YES , 84% turnout.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    edited September 2014

AndyJS said:

While I still think that EdM is the better of the two Milibands he really hasn't 'grown into' his job has he.

Back in 2011 I generously offered on this site to show EdM around his constituency for a mere £1,000 per day.

Looking at how EdM has instead turned out it would have been a bargain had he accepted the offer.

He is not a million to one to lose his constituency next May.. a very good chance of a lower majority
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    bazzer said:

"Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?"

I've read so much about that referendum (including thousands of posts here!) and that's the first time I've seen the actual wording! Wow, what would the Electoral Commission made of that?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Howard said:

Ave_it said:

Howard said:

The problem with that is that so many Labour voters seem to have swung to Yes and apparently some SNP to no, so this cuts across parties in a complex way.
    Ed has failed to motivate Scottish Labour..
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "That question is enough to surely make you lose the will to live. I could barely read it to the end. A lot of voters will have just marked "yes" or "no" without engaging with the question."

I am not so sure. This was a second referendum, and the constitutional position of Quebec had been under intense debate for over a decade prior to 1995, so it is difficult to see how voters would not have engaged with the question.

The options Oui and Non are readily understandable even if you didn't read the rather lawyerly question.

But, I guess you are right, the market must have priced the Quebec factor in.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

If the Conservative and Unionist PM David Cameron doesn't oversee the breakup of his Union, he will have a hell of job trying to reconcile his Party with Gordon Brown's DevoMore that ultimately saved the Union.
    DevoMax + enshrined Barnett + No devolution for England is worse than letting Scotland go.
  • Options
    Howard said:

RodCrosby said:

Howard said:

The Beeb are more likely to have Jeremy Vine prancing around in a kilt

• Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Oh the irony.

So no polling then.
    No, just actual votes.

I look forward* to your analysis of the run up to the 2015 GE based on the 1979 election.

Naw the Shetland issue is gonna swing it, can't believe you're dismissing it so lightly :-)
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Neil

It is actually far worse than that. In 1980 it was////

"The Government of Quebec has made public its proposal to negotiate a new agreement with the rest of Canada, based on the equality of nations; this agreement would enable Quebec to acquire the exclusive power to make its laws, levy its taxes and establish relations abroad — in other words, sovereignty — and at the same time to maintain with Canada an economic association including a common currency; any change in political status resulting from these negotiations will only be implemented with popular approval through another referendum; on these terms, do you give the Government of Quebec the mandate to negotiate the proposed agreement between Quebec and Canada?"

• Options
    Neil said:

bazzer said:

I've read so much about that referendum (including thousands of posts here!) and that's the first time I've seen the actual wording! Wow, what would the Electoral Commission made of that?
    Same here!

Should've just stopped after 8 words surely?
  • Options
    bazzer said:

In Quebec they broke for No in the polling booth leading to an overstatement of Yes's by final polls...but...in Quebec this was the question:

That question is enough to surely make you lose the will to live. I could barely read it to the end. Alot of voters will have just marked "yes" or "no" without engaging with the question.

Tomorrow the question is:

"Should Scotland be an independent country?"

That's a very different question in terms of likely emotional reaction by voters...

I don't think we can necessarily assume we will see a "Quebec effect" breaking to no in the ballot booth tomorrow.

The market seems to be pricing in the "Quebec effect" however.

I agree with your point that we should not compare Quebec. Not just for the reason you give. But also because this is 20 years later and people are more anti-establishment.

The other things in my mind are:

*in *every* previous referendum (i.e. both of them) in Scotland the Scots always went for the one that gave the maximal power.
    *in the 1998 Scottish referendum the polls *underestimated* the vote for change. Surely this is more relevant than Quebec? Every nation is different.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Oh the irony.

So no polling then.
    No, just actual votes.

Believe me I look forward in case of scottish independence for Thescottishdivvie to appear on PB.
    Then you have to play the unionist role with him on the merits of staying part of scotland.

We'll have hours of laughter.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004
    Oliver_PB said:

Chris_A said:

.haggis
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I missed this from last month:

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said he wants to abandon liberal democracy in favor of an “illiberal state,” citing Russia and Turkey as examples.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-28/orban-says-he-seeks-to-end-liberal-democracy-in-hungary.html
  • Options
    I see that the Quebec referendum used the "Do you agree..." construction. In Scottish trials, this construction made people more likely to vote yes. So it was just as well (for Cameron) that he did manage to get that taken out!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

DevoMax + enshrined Barnett + No devolution for England is worse than letting Scotland go.
    I can see the patch of long grass already Soccy old chap - no need to worry..
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I missed this from last month:

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said he wants to abandon liberal democracy in favor of an “illiberal state,” citing Russia and Turkey as examples.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-28/orban-says-he-seeks-to-end-liberal-democracy-in-hungary.html

It seems even foreigners dislike the LD's, not just british voters.
  • Options
    @Politico_Daily: YesScotland "yobs" attacking the cenotaph in Glasgow http://t.co/DaBSDutP47
This discussion has been closed.