Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For the moment at least Woolwich makes a CON leadership cha

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL

David Chalk @davechalk
    Hi @Official_EDL. I'm looking to change my energy supplier. Can I cancel my deal with you?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Plato said:

That 153k net migration stats according to R5 that's about 50% LESS than the previous period.

But it's still a good size citys worth of people arriving. Osbo will have to build an awful lot of houses to keep up.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    MikeK said:

Plato said:

That 153k net migration stats according to R5 that's about 50% LESS than the previous period.

But it's still a good size citys worth of people arriving. Osbo will have to build an awful lot of houses to keep up.

Is that official UKIP policy coinciding with official Labour Party policy?

Or is housebuilding just something that individual members of UKIP (you) and the Labour Party (tim) agree on and support?
  • Options

MikeK said:

Plato said:

MoD tells soldiers not to wear uniform in public until further notice. I can understand this but its a terrible indictment that our forces feel the need to hide what they do because of this.

The currant MOD is a pathetic organisation.
    I agree. I much prefer the sultana MOD, which tastes much better in porridge.
    You must eat some strange foods with your porridge. ;)

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    @tim As we know, the number of foreign University students increased in the last period I've seen figures for (by 2%). This class of falling students, if that is what it is, must be further education and adult education colleges which don't make our "international reputation" so much.
  • Options
    Brendan O'Neill hits the spot.

"The Woolwich murderer's impromptu claim to be acting on behalf of the grievances of Muslims everywhere echoes the statements made by the 7/7 bombers. "Your democratically elected governments continue to perpetuate atrocities against my people all over the world", said chief bomber Mohammad Siddique Khan. "My people" – what extraordinary arrogance and self-righteousness. Did Khan ever talk to "his people" or win a mandate from them? Of course not, no more than the knife-wielding nutter in Woolwich engaged with the inhabitants of what he thinks of as "his lands". Rather, in this era in which any old fool can claim to be a "community spokesperson", and can be treated seriously as such, these murderous loners seem to be trying a psychotic version of the same trick – claiming that by dint of shared skin colour or common religious sentiment they have the authority to speak on behalf of millions of people they have never met or whose lands they have never visited.

Sadly, observers and even politicians have tended to treat seriously homegrown Islamic terrorists' claims to represent Muslim grievance. Certainly after 7/7, there was a discussion about needing to change British foreign policy lest more angry British Muslims launch terror attacks at home. That is, the bombers' claims to be expressing some kind of natural Muslim anger, some deeply ingrained, culturally derived fury about the "persecution" of their "fellow Muslims abroad", as the Observer put it, was taken seriously. Their bloody attack was denounced, but their presumed moral authority to launch the attack was implicitly accepted. As Muslims, they were presumed to have some special insight into the grievance felt by "fellow Muslims", some kind of identity connection with the ummah. Identity politics allows one to circumvent the pesky business of actually thinking or engaging with people and grants one the automatic authority to speak for anyone who has the same cultural or ethnic origins.

Identity politics breeds narcissism and arrogance, a belief that one is special because of where one comes from or looks like. It fosters petty grievances, too, inviting people to think of themselves as a threatened little cultural corner, being walked over by the ignorant, culture-lacking mainstream. In some cases, these feelings, it seems, can become completely unhinged, to the extent that we have recently seen horrific acts of violence carried out by people who really, passionately believe that they are global community spokespeople." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100218364/woolwich-attack-the-savagery-of-identity-politics/

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Is it possible that these young men are clinically insane and have therefore grossly misunderstood what has been said to them?

They certainly didn't appear rational, by any normal definition.

In other words it's a random act, not part of any campaign, or as the result of an organisation, Possibly comparable with the Boston bombing, although it requires considerably more planning to build bombs than find a couple of knives and machetes.

We should be extremely wary of this line of argument. It sounds superficially attractive and indeed reassuring - 'they're not really evil; they're mad' - but its consequences lead us to dark places.

Firstly, as with Breivik, apart from the act itself, there doesn't appear to be any evidence that they are insane, which is to say they could not understand what they were doing or the consequences of their actions. On the contrary: they appear to have understood all too well and accepted those consequences.

To argue then that they were insane rather than evil means that it must be the act itself which is the mark of insanity. However, was not the act the logical and rationalised consequence of a belief system? In that case, the belief system the individual holds must itself be a mark of insanity as the one followed from the other.

At which point, how are the authorities to distinguish between what is an insane belief and what is not - and what are they to do about those who hold them? The KGB under Andropov followed precisely that logic for those who opposed communism, which to them was the perfect system (hence anyone opposed to a perfect system must either be mad or at least require re-educating if gullible). It comes far too close to mind-control by the state to be comfortable.

Those who commit belief-motivated crimes, whether religious or political, are not insane unless they cannot comprehend what they are doing. We should not excuse behaviour as that of the mad when the reality is uncomfortably different.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

Plato said:

Or is housebuilding just something that individual members of UKIP (you) and the Labour Party (tim) agree on and support?
    Stop blithering TOPPING, it doesn't become you.

• Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Apology if this point has been covered...

... at Windsor barracks there are armed troops on the main gate, presumably to deter and respond to threats. Are there similar at Woolwich and, if so, why didn't they respond? Are they prohibited from responding beyond the barracks perimeter and would that apply regardless of the scale of the incident?
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    antifrank said:

This is a political betting site. Those that do not wish to consider the political betting implications of news stories should perhaps look elsewhere?

Whilst it is obvious that this will have political and therefore betting implications, I can still find Ashcroft's tweet distateful and opportunist.

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Plato said:

MoD tells soldiers not to wear uniform in public until further notice. I can understand this but its a terrible indictment that our forces feel the need to hide what they do because of this.

There's been a report that soldiers and ex soldiers are changing their social media picture to ones where they are in uniform. I personally think that off duty soldiers should wear uniforms, dress uniform if possible. This happens in the US and they are honoured wherever they go!
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Grandiose said:

@tim As we know, the number of foreign University students increased in the last period I've seen figures for (by 2%). This class of falling students, if that is what it is, must be further education and adult education colleges which don't make our "international reputation" so much.

"Sponsored student visas applications fell 10% in the year ending March 2013. This change was not uniform, with a 5% increase for the university sector and falls of 46%, 46% and 7% for further education, English language schools and independent schools, respectively"

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/may-2013/index.html
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

Plato said:

Stop blithering TOPPING, it doesn't become you.

I know, it's a bad habit.

My question remains: is housebuilding an official UKIP policy or just something you agree with tim on?
  • Options
    Woolwich terror attack: Former leader of banned Al Muhajiroun, Anjem Choudary, tells @Independent: I knew knifeman independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/…

9:59am · 23 May 13 · web
    Woolwich attacker was known to banned Islamist organisation

One of the two men involved in the Woolwich terror attack was known to a banned Islamist organisation and went by the name of Mujahid, The Independent has learned.
    The Independent @Independent
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @TOPPING I understand that UKIP are fully in favour of a massive housebuilding policy so long as they are not actually built on any available land. An Englishman's home is his castle, and his castle is in the air.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

There's been a report that soldiers and ex soldiers are changing their social media picture to ones where they are in uniform. I personally think that off duty soldiers should wear uniforms, dress uniform if possible. This happens in the US and they are honoured wherever they go!
    Personally, I'm all in favour of the Armed Services wearing uniform when off-duty if they want to. If you've the guts to wear it in war-zones when on active service - why be told to be in civvies when on UK soil? I don't know any personnel who want to hide what they do, they've very proud of it.
  • Options
    isam said:

tim said:

Fraser Nelson ‏@frasernelson
    Eyewitness to the beheading, amazing tweets: RT @BOYADEE: Mate ive seen alot of shit im my time but that has to rank sumwhere in the top 3.

Saw this quote yesterday. Top 3???!

At least he cant be accused of hysterical overreaction

Technically, first place is within the top three, though it'd be an unusual way of putting it.

"How did you get on at your competition?"
    "Very well, thanks. I won a medal."
    "Oh, congratulations. Which one?"
    "Gold."
  • Options
    Markets are having a bad day at the office,

FTSE 100 6710.34 Down -129.93 -1.90%
    Dax 8298.89 Down -232.00 -2.72%
    Cac 40 3950.71 Down -100.40 -2.48%
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Paul Waugh @paulwaugh
    Migration stats also show 5% inc in student visas for unis, but falls of 46%, 46%, 7% for FE, Eng language schools + independent schools

That's the difference between top drawer education and fake education.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Personally, I'm all in favour of the Armed Services wearing uniform when off-duty if they want to. If you've the guts to wear it in war-zones when on active service - why be told to be in civvies when on UK soil? I don't know any personnel who want to hide what they do, they've very proud of it.
    If a soldier want to wear uniform off duty then I think they should be allowed.
    But I can't see why would want to, in much the same way as a copper not wanting to be defined by the job off-duty. Or a nurse for that matter.

Unless they're on uniformdating.com that is ;-)
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2013
    Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Soldiers ! Don't wear your uniforms. It sounds like the kind of advice the MoD would get from its lawyers. Chickenshit advice.

• Options
    We don't know what else @BOYADEE has seen. He lives in or around Woolwich, after all.
  • Options
    lucy manning @lucymanning
    Anjem Choudray tells ITV News (& The Independent it seems) he knows 1 of attackers. Attended Al Muhajiroun events. Is Muslim convert.
  • Options
    The Honorable Artillery Company last night had a heavy police presence outside its gates. The bouncer on the door of the lapdancing club opposite looked very confused.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Rexel56 said:

... at Windsor barracks there are armed troops on the main gate, presumably to deter and respond to threats. Are there similar at Woolwich and, if so, why didn't they respond? Are they prohibited from responding beyond the barracks perimeter and would that apply regardless of the scale of the incident?

They can prevent incidents 'on site'. But soldiers drawing weapons on the streets of Britain without authority would pose an interesting problem; not sure rules of engagement extend to that.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited May 2013

Plato said:

Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

If a soldier want to wear uniform off duty then I think they should be allowed.
    But I can't see why would want to, in much the same way as a copper not wanting to be defined by the job off-duty. Or a nurse for that matter.

Unless they're on uniformdating.com that is ;-)
    Mate of mine went on uniform dating and said they were hopeless

He told them he wanted a date with a girl dressed in school uniform and they sent a bloke dressed up as a copper to his house
  • Options
    'If a soldier want to wear uniform off duty then I think they should be allowed.'

Would you, after yesterday?

Maybe with a side-arm.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    F1: Glad sMcNish is back in the commentary box. Just said that Red Bull seem to be locking their brakes a lot. That won't help them in the race.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Anjem Choudary (Urdu: انجم چودری‎; born 1967 in England) is a British former solicitor, and, before it was proscribed, spokesman for the Islamist group Islam4UK. He is married, has four children, and lives in Ilford, London.

"... The French Interior Ministry has also permanently banned him from entering France."

Question - Doesn't that violate the freedom of movement of European peoples ?
  • Options
    Tricky

IMF boss Christine Lagarde to be charged after 'abusing position with £270million fraud and embezzlement scam' - dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2…
  • Options
    antifrank said:

We don't know what else @BOYADEE has seen. He lives in or around Woolwich, after all.

He might have seen Carl Leaburn play up front for Charlton I suppose
  • Options
    Apparently the cars have done 20 odd laps (not sure of the compound, probably soft). Points to 2-3 stops.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Nick Robinson
    @bbcnickrobinson
    Advice not to wear their uniforms in public set to be reversed. PM said believes was "an understandable reaction" but people should go about daily lives

Good.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    "Question - Doesn't that violate the freedom of movement of European peoples ?"

Answer, if it's on security grounds member states can still ban people, it's in the small print of the treaty.
  • Options
    Hailstones in Upminster!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    isam said:

Hailstones in Upminster!

Verily it is the End of Days.
  • Options

Rexel56 said:

They can prevent incidents 'on site'. But soldiers drawing weapons on the streets of Britain without authority would pose an interesting problem; not sure rules of engagement extend to that.

It would require "MacP" powers - military aid to the Civil Power. When the police (and the HS would have to sanction) request military aid for the maintenance of public order, etc. ie frontline policing duties but with the army.

The next one down is "MacA" - military aid to the civil authority eg. helping out such as the green goddesses.

And a resounding "yes" to the wearing of uniform, as you say together with a personal weapon.

;)
  • Options
    Early days, but right now Mercedes and Ferrari look the fastest.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    isam said:

antifrank said:

He might have seen Carl Leaburn play up front for Charlton I suppose
    LOL :D

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZBaJU_Cvo

I'm not one to provoke, but no wonder extremists hate Britain when argumentative young white girls go walking the streets of their home towns with nothing on. Tut, tut*

*It's doing the rounds of Facebook. She's quite brave actually!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

'Oh good, the govt managed to reduce the number of students coming to the UK by 56,000 and it's a triumph.'

Surprised it's not more after the hundreds of bogus colleges Labour allowed to thrive have finally been closed.

• Options
    RT @PrimlyStable: Terrorists? They all look the same to me. #EDL pic.twitter.com/yK134xEjew < Grim LOL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BK7-iz4CAAAvvMj.jpg:large
  • Options
    isam said:

Hailstones in Upminster!

Google tells me that: "The 50 most intense British hailstorms (TORRO intensity H5-6 or more) since 1650 have all occurred between the months of May and September with a well-defined peak during July."
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,339
    edited May 2013

I find the speculation about the political fortunes of Dave & the Tories as a result of this horrific murder distasteful.

Whether it's distasteful or not, events like this have consequences. Remember all the fuss about whether Bush really won the 2000 election? That stopped pretty much absolutely as soon as the trade center towers were hit.

The Woolwich murders were a political act and have political consequences. The authorities are well aware of that and so should we be.
    The blood soaked Woolwich killer specifically stated that he wanted the British to remove their leaders.

Whether this was specific to Cameron I think unlikely, I suspect he is no more keen on Ed Milliband.

The murder was political.
    "Crime is crime is crime. It is not political, it is crime."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Plato said:

RT @PrimlyStable: Terrorists? They all look the same to me. #EDL pic.twitter.com/yK134xEjew < Grim LOL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BK7-iz4CAAAvvMj.jpg:large

Not sure the EDL have beheaded anyone in the street, or blown up themselves and others, on a Tube train or bus.

• Options
    Mr. Fenster, she was brave indeed. Good for her.
  • Options
    A property in Lincolnshire has been searched in connection with the murder of a soldier in Woolwich, Lincolnshire Police said. #c4news
  • Options
    tim said:

Bloody hell fire, it was the British Govt behind the "Olive oil in jug ban scandal"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10074456/David-Cameron-ridicules-EU-olive-oil-jug-ban.html

Nanny State! Nanny State!

"Sources told The Daily Telegraph that British officials were sympathetic to the measure because it is part of the "benefits of food labelling" and Defra has admitted it will impose the ban."

I was sure that "As a father" David Cameron was against this nannying, despite everything he ever said about chocolate oranges and Rihanna's corset.
    And now I have been betrayed by the olive oil in jug ban.

Eurosausage anyone?

• Options

isam said:

Hailstones in Upminster!

Google tells me that: "The 50 most intense British hailstorms (TORRO intensity H5-6 or more) since 1650 have all occurred between the months of May and September with a well-defined peak during July."
    Unsurprising. Hailstones develop in intense storms and they require atmospheric energy, which is a great deal more plentiful in summer than winter.
  • Options

I find the speculation about the political fortunes of Dave & the Tories as a result of this horrific murder distasteful.

Whether it's distasteful or not, events like this have consequences. Remember all the fuss about whether Bush really won the 2000 election? That stopped pretty much absolutely as soon as the trade center towers were hit.

The Woolwich murders were a political act and have political consequences. The authorities are well aware of that and so should we be.
    The blood soaked Woolwich killer specifically stated that he wanted the British to remove their leaders.

Whether this was specific to Cameron I think unlikely, I suspect he is no more keen on Ed Milliband.

No. When a murder is carried out to advance a political cause or to seek to change policy or behaviour, it is political. That doesn't stop it being a crime too.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    MikeK said:

Interview with the woman who intervened. I think it's very endearingly British that she was calm in talking to two machete-wielding murderers, but "really annoyed" that her bus was diverted!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/22/woolwich-first-person-account

"endearingly British"? Come, come Mr Palmer. `Completely crazy, if you ask me. She could have been headless and was damn lucky she wasn't.
    Well, yes, that was the risk, but taking risks in a good cause is not crazy. Courage when it matters + petty grumbling when it doesn't sums a lot of people up.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Why do they not publish the immigration data by country? They have some rather random groups. They break the EU into the EU15 and EU8, which only totals 23 of 27 nations. Then they have the rather outdated groups of new commonwealth and old commonwealth, while grouping everyone from the USA to Somalia in "other foreign".
  • Options

It is understood that the British decision to abstain during the EU vote, effectively opening the door to the ban, was taken by a head of department level official in the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, raising questions over whether ministerial consent was given

Not exactly 'behind' the ban!
  • Options
    Tapestry has kindly tweeted me his latest blog post about Woolwich

http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/something-odd-about-woolwich-incident.html
  • Options
    It's hard to tell exactly what's going on from the immigration data, but a few things I pulled out:

- Those coming for work reasons is largely unchanged, down just 4%. (This data seems to be inconsistent between worksheets for some reason...)
    - Those coming for family reasons have fallen by 19,000, or 23%. Most of this (11,000) was from the New Commonwealth, a category down by 33%
    - Students coming from the New Commonwealth have also dropped off strongly, by 49%. As people in Further Ed colleges typically come from the New Commonwealth, this makes sense.
  • Options

No. When a murder is carried out to advance a political cause or to seek to change policy or behaviour, it is political. That doesn't stop it being a crime too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7bTsRZh5bk
  • Options
    tim said:

Bloody hell fire, it was the British Govt behind the "Olive oil in jug ban scandal"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10074456/David-Cameron-ridicules-EU-olive-oil-jug-ban.html

Nanny State! Nanny State!

"Sources told The Daily Telegraph that British officials were sympathetic to the measure because it is part of the "benefits of food labelling" and Defra has admitted it will impose the ban."

I was sure that "As a father" David Cameron was against this nannying, despite everything he ever said about chocolate oranges and Rihanna's corset.
    And now I have been betrayed by the olive oil in jug ban.

1) Cameron is against it.
    2) The British government abstained, that doesn't make them "behind it"
    3) Sympathetic officials is just a sign that our civil servants in Brussels have gone native
  • Options
    Plato said:

http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/something-odd-about-woolwich-incident.html

Does he also wear a tin foil hat?
  • Options

isam said:

Hailstones in Upminster!

Unsurprising. Hailstones develop in intense storms and they require atmospheric energy, which is a great deal more plentiful in summer than winter.
    Indeed, but many people make the mistaken connection of hail = ice = cold = winter = why is there hail falling in summer?!!1! What happened to global warming?? LOL!

I know sam didn't do that in this case, but it happens so often that I like to nip it in the bud.
  • Options
    @Sunil_Prasannan

Mrs T appearing on the conf platform after the Brighton Bombing was the bravest thing I've ever seen a living politician do. It was incredible given what'd gone on the night before and the deaths/injuries to her own cabinet colleagues/family.

Many of those are forgotten nowadays - even Mrs Tebbit is rarely mentioned.
  • Options
    Plato said:

'TAP OPINION - Too much tomato sauce.'

What, 8 pints too many?

Twit.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Plato said:

Does he also wear a tin foil hat?
    He's a PB institution - a good conspiracy theory is always worth a read.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There seems to be some confusion re the identity of the dead soldier - he's been named by Sky, and as serving in the Royal Fusillers by ITV but BBC and Met are saying he's not being identified at all.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Whackjob truther blogpost if ever I saw one.
  • Options
    Robin Brant @robindbrant
    sky reports that #woolowich attack suspect michael adebolajo was born in lambeth, grew up in east london. went to greenwich uni.
  • Options
    Plato said:

@Sunil_Prasannan

Mrs T appearing on the conf platform after the Brighton Bombing was the bravest thing I've ever seen a living politician do. It was incredible given what'd gone on the night before and the deaths/injuries to her own cabinet colleagues/family.

I was only 8 when the bombing happened but I do remember clearly the footage of the survivors being pulled out of the rubble,
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727

isam said:

Hailstones in Upminster!

Indeed, but many people make the mistaken connection of hail = ice = cold = winter = why is there hail falling in summer?!!1! What happened to global warming?? LOL!

I know sam didn't do that in this case, but it happens so often that I like to nip it in the bud.
    Oh no ha I wasnt making a point about global warming!

Just a very sad boring observation that I needlessly shared on here!

• Options
    @Fenster

Can anyone watch that video and not believe this young woman's home town has been wrecked by mass immigration? That may be a minority of Muslims marching to the sound of "UK go to hell", but it's certainly not a tiny one. They are barbaric savages with no appreciation of morality or decency. Where are the establishment politicians speaking out about rallies like this? Nowhere. They prefer to turn a blind eye so as not to raise tension, just as the police turned a blind eye to Muslim men raping white children.
  • Options
    TapperTapper Posts: 14
    Something odd going on in Woolwich. Not sure we're with Cameron on this one.
  • Options

Plato said:

@Sunil_Prasannan

I was only 8 when the bombing happened but I do remember clearly the footage of the survivors being pulled out of the rubble,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR1VePIeWbE
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    @socrates can't tell anything about the town from that video. Is UK go to hell really all that shocking?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Welcome back, Tap. Hope you are well and not being run around by UKBA too much.
  • Options
    Tapper said:

Something odd going on in Woolwich. Not sure we're with Cameron on this one.

Nothing odd.

Someone's been murdered.

Peddle your whackjob theories elsewhere Tapestry.
  • Options
    Mr. Dugarbandier, calling for their own country, and for the police of that country, to burn in hell is absolutely shocking and unacceptable, as was their suggestion that the young presenter was practically naked and looking to seduce someone because she had the temerity to bare more skin than someone wearing a burkha.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,320
    edited May 2013
    sam said:

isam said:

Hailstones in Upminster!

Oh no ha I wasnt making a point about global warming!

Just a very sad boring observation that I needlessly shared on here!

Radio Scotland reported on my way to work this morning that several snow gates were shut because of very heavy snow including on the Cockbridge to Tommintoul road. She said "I can't believe I am saying this". Whilst I take the point about conditions that create hail such heavy snow towards the end of May at not much more than 2000 feet is truly remarkable.

Edit. Whilst isolated snow showers are relatively common on the tops of hills even into June this is very widespread and persistent: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-22631483

This is going to be yet another cold month.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

And from Cricinfo at almost the same time you posted that:

"Gets heavier and the players are coming off Amazingly in May there are now a heavy shower of hailstones!"

Still, should clear soon and Ireland have made a good start!

• Options

@socrates can't tell anything about the town from that video. Is UK go to hell really all that shocking?

Not if it's a couple of idiots, but when huge masses of British people are marching to it, I think it is.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Robin Brant @robindbrant
    sky reports that #woolowich attack suspect michael adebolajo was born in lambeth, grew up in east london. went to greenwich uni.

As I said it avoids any future possible deportation issues for the Gov't.
  • Options
    tim said:

Socrates said:

@Fenster

Can anyone watch that video and not believe this young woman's home town has been wrecked by mass immigration? That may be a minority of Muslims marching to the sound of "UK go to hell", but it's certainly not a tiny one. They are barbaric savages with no appreciation of morality or decency. Where are the establishment politicians speaking out about rallies like this? Nowhere. They prefer to turn a blind eye so as not to raise tension, just as the police turned a blind eye to Muslim men raping white children.

Anjem Choudary's mob turn up in a town, and somewhere on the internet someone reacts exactly as they were meant to.
    Exactly how some did last night.

And the EDL don't represent British culture either.
    Are you claiming most of those marching aren't from Luton?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Plato said:

@Sunil_Prasannan

Yes that was a fine speech by a fine prime minister!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Silliest thread topic ever ?
  • Options

Plato said:

Plato said:

@Sunil_Prasannan

Yes that was a fine speech by a fine prime minister!
    IIRC - she insisted that the local M&S opened up so attendees could find something to wear at conf as their own stuff was ruined in the blast. Now that takes a certain presence of mind.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

JamesLandale
    Astonishing line from Steve Richards this morning: "Cameron has wondered to friends at times whether it is worth carrying on."

Cameron supposedly reads political betting websites so maybe your 24/7 hate campaign is finally paying off? ;)

• Options
    tim said:

Socrates said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

@Fenster

Anjem Choudary's mob turn up in a town, and somewhere on the internet someone reacts exactly as they were meant to.

I doubt it very much given that Choudary's mob AKA Islam4UK, Al Ghurabaa, the Saved Sect has a few hundred supporters who like marching around a lot.
    You've never been to Luton, have you?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Meanwhile, to follow on from Loony's conversation:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328921/David-McGreavy-named-murdering-children-1973.html

Utterly bizzare bullet point 8 regarding 'Boris Johnson's philandering past' in an article involving a sick child murderer ?
    'Second victory for Press freedom this week after Appeal Court ruled the public does have a right to know about Boris Johnson's philandering past' might be newsworthy, but to add it to this article ?! Jumped the shark.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    As the Woolwich killers are born and bred in the UK any chance they be tried (and hung) for treason?
  • Options
    F1: On Ladbrokes both Mercedes drivers were 7/1. Both have fallen, Hamilton to 4/1, and Rosberg to 9/2. Both are longer on Betfair, as you'd expect.

Can't see the Top scoring team market up, which is a shame.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    I believe the death penalty has also been abolished for treason.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    GIN1138 said:

As the Woolwich killers are born and bred in the UK any chance they be tried (and hung) for treason?

Thats a good point, is it still on the statute books ? Abolished in 1998 I'm afraid, and currently unable to be brought back due to EHCR.
  • Options
    Neil said:

"Gets heavier and the players are coming off Amazingly in May there are now a heavy shower of hailstones!"

Grr. Reminds me of a match I was playing in which was abandoned due to a heavy hailstorm after we'd scored 178 and had the opposition cold at 9-5. The ground was white after it passed over and while we were prepared to wait for it to thaw, for some reason our opponents (and more irritatingly, the umpire), weren't!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Thats a shame. :(

• Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    The original version of the speech by the attacker, in which he tries to use the Koran to justify his behaviour:-

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=64f_1369272177

Why did ITV news censor it, by talking over this part?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

@Fenster

I doubt it very much given that Choudary's mob AKA Islam4UK, Al Ghurabaa, the Saved Sect has a few hundred supporters who like marching around a lot.
    Luton is somewhere I never want to go to ever again - I was last there maybe 6 or 7 yrs ago and what a frighteningly unwelcoming place it was. There was an undercurrent of tension that I haven't felt so much anywhere else. The local residents in an unspoken stand-off with each other and taxi drivers that made me feel threatened just for being female and daring to get into their cabs without a chaperone.

A very weird experience and one I'd never expect to see here in the UK.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    edited May 2013
    "Both the general law and its Gresham’s corollary point, in contemporary
    circumstances, towards the resort to physical violence, in the form of firearms or
    high explosive, as being so probable as to be predicted with virtual certainty. The
    experience of the last decade and more, all round the world, shows that acts of
    violence, however apparently irrational or inappropriate their targets, precipitate
    a frenzied search on the part of the society attacked to discover and remedy more
    and more grievances, real or imaginary, among those from whom the violence is
    supposed to emanate or on whose behalf it is supposed to be exercised... This is what produces the gearingeffect of terrorism in the contemporary world, yielding huge results from acts of violence perpetrated by minimal numbers. It is not, I repeat again and again, that the mass of a particular population are violently or criminally disposed. Far from it; that
    population soon becomes itself the prisoner of the violence and machinations of an
    infinitely small minority among it. Just a few thugs, a few shots, a few bombs at the right
    place and time—and that is enough for disproportionate consequences to follow."
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JohnO said:

It still operates in certain enclaves of Scotland but rumour has it there is a recycling aspect to the whole process that ensures local support !!

• Options
    Plato said:

Socrates said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

@Fenster

Luton is somewhere I never want to go to ever again - I was last there maybe 6 or 7 yrs ago and what a frighteningly unwelcoming place it was. There was an undercurrent of tension that I haven't felt so much anywhere else. The local residents in an unspoken stand-off with each other and taxi drivers that made me feel threatened just for being female and daring to get into their cabs without a chaperone.

I know Luton very well. Pubs have closed down in the areas with high Muslim immigration. Women wearing niqabs, be it through fear or brainwashing, are very common in certain parts. Several of my friends come from the town and all have received abuse from Muslim youths. The bad parts of the town are the sorts of places where the left-liberals that like to celebrate diversity and multiculturalism have never been.
  • Options
    Neil said:

That's exactly what I am talking about. There's nothing unusual about hail in May.

[It is exciting, though, thanks for sharing sam]
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, hanging for treason was outlawed when Jack Straw was Home Secretary.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Plato said:

Socrates said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

@Fenster

I know Luton very well. Pubs have closed down in the areas with high Muslim immigration. Women wearing niqabs, be it through fear or brainwashing, are very common in certain parts. Several of my friends come from the town and all have received abuse from Muslim youths. The bad parts of the town are the sorts of places where the left-liberals that like to celebrate diversity and multiculturalism have never been.
    That Luton residents turn up with regularity in terrorism investigations doesn't surprise me at all - that the culture of appeasement has allowed it to happen is a disgrace.

No one but extremists and bullies win by turning a blind-eye to it.
This discussion has been closed.