Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Referendum Day Minus 8: Another tantalising wait for what l

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Referendum Day Minus 8: Another tantalising wait for what looks set to be a sensational new poll

With the referendum now so close and the days running out the head of Survation, Damian Lyons Lowe, has added to the tension with the above Tweet about his Daily Record survey posted at about 2.30 am.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I predict that it will be 72% Yes, 28% No.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,743
    edited September 2014
    Second! Like the Separatists on the 19th, with a bit of luck.....

Meanwhile Eck's consequence free fantasy land skips blithely along:

Independent Scotland won't pay back debt, Alex Salmond says
    First Minister reportedly taunted the Westminster government over whether an independent Scotland should take on its share of the national debt, saying: “What are they going to do – invade?”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11086121/Independent-Scotland-wont-pay-back-debt-Alex-Salmond-says.html

No, but there's plenty else rUK could do......
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Already devolved country on island fringe thinks about full independence sensation.

Did anyone die? Was global peace threatened?
  • Options

Already devolved country on island fringe thinks about full independence sensation.

Did anyone die? Was global peace threatened?

Commendable sang froid - as a Scot I am more interested in the outcome, but it appears that not only the commentariat but also our politicians (and some posters on here) have gone from complacent and indifferent to panicked and despairing over the course of a weekend....
  • Options
    Yes 3.35
    No 1.41
  • Options
    Nearly 4.7 million now matched at Betfair.
  • Options
    " and they are quite something!"

This five word quote from Damian Lyons Lowe head of Survation, complete with that all important exclamation mark, suggests to me at least that the results of their poll to be announced later today are likely to be nothing short of sensational. If I were to hazard a guess I would say something of the order of Yes 55% : Nos 45%, excluding don't knows.

As Mr Dickson pointed out last night, repeatedly, we appear to have reached the tipping point.
    From a betting perspective and given the huge volume of money which is now being wagered on the outcome, it is surprising just how wide is the disparity between the odds on offer for a Yes vote.

While most bookies currently have this priced at at 2.75 decimal (7/4 in old money), the Betfair & Betdaq exchanges both have it at 3.23 net of their commission (almost 9/4), thereby representing a 27.4% greater return ..... remarkable! I've been keeping their machines busy overnight.
  • Options

This five word quote from Damian Lyons Lowe head of Survation, complete with that all important exclamation mark, suggests to me at least that the results of their poll to be announced later today are likely to be nothing short of sensational. If I were to hazard a guess I would say something of the order of Yes 55% : Nos 45%, excluding don't knows.

As Mr Dickson pointed out last night, repeatedly, we appear to have reached the tipping point.
    From a betting perspective and given the huge volume of money which is now being wagered on the outcome, it is surprising just how wide is the disparity between the odds on offer for a Yes vote.

While most bookies currently have this priced at at 2.75 decimal (7/4 in old money), the Betfair & Betdaq exchanges both have it at 3.23 net of their commission (almost 9/4), thereby representing a 27.4% greater return ..... remarkable! I've been keeping their machines busy overnight.

Snap.

I'm starring to feel sorry for Shadsy.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    The writing is on the (twitter) wall.
  • Options
    O/T

QP ..... aarrgh!

The Daily Mail reports that:

"QPR broke rules in order to win promotion from Championship last season

Football League could prevent club from playing in their leagues if QPR fail to pay a fine of up to £40million

Rangers would be safe while they stay in the top flight, but relegation from the Premier League would see them banned

Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey says he hopes there can be a different resolution but admits 'nuclear option' is possible

Owner Tony Fernandes has pledged to fight any potential fine"

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    The NO ad campaign is not helping either:
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/27/scottish-independence-better-together-campaign-new-advert

Well since people are complaining that the NO ads are so bad they make them want to vote YES, why not try this strategy for once:

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2014-09-08/
  • Options

Snap.

Stuart - Shadsy really doesn't need your sympathy. This from yesterday's Times:

"The rest of Britain might be panicking about the prospect of a “yes” vote in next week’s Scottish independence referendum, but it would come as a huge relief to the nation’s bookmakers.
    Punters have gambled so much on a “no” vote that bookmakers are still trying to encourage them to bet on independence to balance their books, it has emerged.
    That is the explanation behind the apparent generosity of the odds still being offered on Scottish voters opting for “yes” on Thursday week despite polls predicting the result on a knife edge.
    There will be some massive losers if the Yes campaign wins. Ladbrokes are believed to have had £2.5 million invested with them on a “no” vote, and the industry figure could be as high as £10 million."
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2014
    I worry for the credibility of our newest pollster McARSE opened with such a fanfare earlier this year.

It was always a risk posting their final poll four weeks before polling day
    but no one can accuse McARSE or any of the ARSE group of lacking self confidence.
  • Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    Logically the process of Scottish separation should be a bit of a consitutional quagmire, but with the negatives and uncertainties all on Scotland's side. I think a lot of people are going to be quite angry that the farcical behaviour and panicky approach of the UK political leadership over the last few days look like they are going to manage to turn this into a full blown economic and constitutional crisis for the whole country, out of all proportion with what should have happened. That their actions is not likely to do one bit of good in helping to get the Scots to vote No is probably the worst of it.

What's perhaps even worse is that they are running around making all sorts of promises to "No" which either they have no authority to give without the wider consent of the UK electorate, or which are promises which are somewhat less than they suggest and which will therefore undermine the whole expectation that a "No" vote will put to bed the issue for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Snap.

"The rest of Britain might be panicking about the prospect of a “yes” vote in next week’s Scottish independence referendum, but it would come as a huge relief to the nation’s bookmakers.
    Punters have gambled so much on a “no” vote that bookmakers are still trying to encourage them to bet on independence to balance their books, it has emerged.
    That is the explanation behind the apparent generosity of the odds still being offered on Scottish voters opting for “yes” on Thursday week despite polls predicting the result on a knife edge.
    There will be some massive losers if the Yes campaign wins. Ladbrokes are believed to have had £2.5 million invested with them on a “no” vote, and the industry figure could be as high as £10 million."
    Well quite - this isn't a novelty market where bookmakers can afford to take positions for the purposes of publicity and in defiance of the weight of money. It is the greatest trick that bookmakers play by making people think that they are going to lose when underdog bets come in.

As you say the explanation for the current odds is that the bookies are still trying to attract bets for "yes" to even up their book.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Clearly a YES lead. A NO lead would not be "sensational".

If it is I'm calling it for YES.

And then it's time to batten down the hatches. An appalling result for both main parties, for the entire British Establishment, but possibly rather good for rightwingers who want England run by a Tory-UKIP government.

I will enjoy the angst of the luvvies when they realise this.

But let's hope I am totally wrong on the potential economic fall-out.

What, exactly, is the basis for this fantasy Tory-UKIP pact/government that people are speculating on? The Tories are promising a referendum already. We would not leave the EU without a referendum. UKIP say that Cameron won't negotiate any real change in advance of that referendum, but they want out anyway, so that lack of real change should be to their advantage.
  • Options
    Paddy Power have suspended their Next Cabinet Exit market. Last I looked Carmichael was odds-on FAV and I had maxxed out my stake with PP.
  • Options
    Five possible mistakes of the Better Together campaign
    - If Scotland wins independence in next week's referendum the pro-Union campaign will reflect on a few bad judgements

a) Too negative (Better Together has won full marks for outlining what it is opposes but no marks for outlining what it supports)

b) Currency union presentation (Osborne)

c) Alistair Darling's weaknesses

d) Late summer surprise (NHS campaign chimed "intuitively" with Labour voters)

e) Poor timing (the Tory leadership overlooked their own toxicity on fiscal policy in Scotland)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/09/scottish-independence-five-mistakes-better-together-campaign
  • Options

Paddy Power have suspended their Next Cabinet Exit market. Last I looked Carmichael was odds-on FAV and I had maxxed out my stake with PP.

According to my box of tricks this market is still up with Alistair Carmichael on offer as the 5/6 favourite ..... maybe PP simply took it down overnight.
    With such a febrile political atmosphere about right now, evidenced by even the PM's position considered to be at risk, this is one market I'd be inclined to avoid.
  • Options

Snap.

Wonderful. I'll continue to fill my pockets with free cash.

I'd love to meet the shit-for-brains who was laying Yes at Betfair at 7.8 just three weeks ago. He/she has paid my household bills for me for 12 months. I owe them a hug.

• Options

According to my box of tricks this market is still up with Alistair Carmichael on offer as the 5/6 favourite ..... maybe PP simply took it down overnight.
    With such a febrile political atmosphere about right now, evidenced by even the PM's position considered to be at risk, this is one market I'd be inclined to avoid.
    PP would only allow me to stake about 18 quid. They are still pissed off with me for my huge wins at the Scottish GE in 2011. Victor Chandler lost so much cash to me that they promptly closed my entire account.
  • Options
    David Cameron's position after a Scotland yes vote is not his own choice
    - The prime minister insists he won't quit if the vote is yes, but he may not get to decide

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/09/david-cameron-yes-vote-choice
  • Options
    A yes vote in Scotland would unleash the most dangerous thing of all - hope
    - Independence would carry the potential to galvanise progressive movements across the rest of the UK
    He roams through Scotland, still badged with blood, promising what he never delivered when he had the chance, this man who helped unravel the social safety net his predecessors wove; who marketised and dismembered public services; who enriched the wealthy and shafted the poor; who pledged money for Trident but failed to reverse the loss of social housing; whose private finance initiative planted a series of timebombs now exploding throughout the NHS and other public services; who greased and wheedled and slavered his way into the company of bankers and oligarchs while trampling over the working people he was elected to represent. This is the progressive Prester John who will ride to the rescue of the no campaign?
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/09/yes-vote-in-scotland-most-dangerous-thing-of-all-hope
  • Options
    alex said:

SeanT said:

And then it's time to batten down the hatches. An appalling result for both main parties, for the entire British Establishment, but possibly rather good for rightwingers who want England run by a Tory-UKIP government.

What, exactly, is the basis for this fantasy Tory-UKIP pact/government that people are speculating on? The Tories are promising a referendum already. We would not leave the EU without a referendum. UKIP say that Cameron won't negotiate any real change in advance of that referendum, but they want out anyway, so that lack of real change should be to their advantage.
    A Tory-UKIP pact/government may be the wet dream of many on the right, but would stand a good chance of repelling more voters than it gained.

Just because you want something badly, does not mean that it's workable.
  • Options
    Voters not convinced by No camp's last-gasp Devo-Max proposals
    - We hit the streets of Scotland's biggest cities and find Better Together's 12-point home rule plan is too little, too late to change most people's minds.

“It is ridiculous that they are coming up with this stuff at this stage of the game, I can remember when Alex Salmond was wanting Devo-Max on the ballot paper and Westminster said no."

“If there have been new powers offered I think it would be worth at least looking at but it does seem like something that has put together at the last minute.”

“If this announcement had been made a couple of months ago, rather than after the YouGov poll which showed ‘Yes’ in the lead, then it might have had some persuasive effect."

“I think Cameron, Clegg and Milliband should have done so much more so much sooner.”

“I want a Scottish based government in total charge of this country’s affairs – not a parliament in London. Gordon Brown’s a politician so can we believe anything he says? It’s far too little too late and stinks of desperation.”

"I did wonder why it took the No campaign this long to wheel out this announcement.”

“Gordon Brown’s announcement is down to panic. If they were going to offer Devo Max it would have been on the ballot. It’s absolutely them hitting the panic button.”

“It’s totally too late. Postal votes are already in so what is the point of it? It’s desperation."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/independence-referendum-voters-not-convinced-4191712?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    I'll check in this evening for the latest scintillating installment of The Headless Chicken Show.

Tally-ho.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I got rather disturbed watching Newsnight last night. A discussion about the Union in involving Tom Holland and an English lady who had run a Scottish arts organisation. She made the point that on going to Scotland she very much considered herself British. However she'd decided within 6 months that really England and Scotland were very different and that it was now a time for the English to focus on their English identity and presumably move on from being British. Nothing wrong with that but then I thought 'what does this mean for Wales?' A rather chilling prospect.

If more devolution is forced upon Wales, I can only imagine that will involve a need to raise its own funds. For various reasons, the gap between what is raised in tax and spent by government in Wales is simply enormous. Similar story for Northern Ireland. If the English aren't interested in Britishness and first and foremost concerned with themselves in this time of austerity, will the rest of the Union be left to sink?
  • Options

PP would only allow me to stake about 18 quid. They are still pissed off with me for my huge wins at the Scottish GE in 2011. Victor Chandler lost so much cash to me that they promptly closed my entire account.
    Your experience with these two firms precisely mirrors my own.
    Victor Chandler in particular don't like punters who regularly take money off them. Understandable I suppose when you think about it.
  • Options

alex said:

SeanT said:

A Tory-UKIP pact/government may be the wet dream of many on the right, but would stand a good chance of repelling more voters than it gained.

Well quite. Not withstanding there is no political basis for Tories and UKIP to form an "alliance", there is certainly no practical workable basis for whatever this is to be implemented. Might have been different if we'd had A-V which allows candidates to stand for each party and campaign on the basis that people should vote for both of them above other parties, but not under FPTP. It's easy to talk about grand party "alliances" whilst ignoring the practical impossibilities under a FPTP representative democracy where people are elected as individuals. And candidates standing aside for each other, even if it could be organised by party hierarchies, would just leave voters disenfranchised.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    SeanT said:

alex said:

SeanT said:

It's totally workable, unless you're a europhile.

There will be no EU referendum in 2017. We will in the throes of negotiating our own dissolution. Impossible.

And polls show the combined Tory-UKIP vote easily outweighs other parties. It is a much more obvious match than Tory-Lib Dem.
    So what would a Tory-UKIP coalition do about the EU as a government? Withdraw without a referendum?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

alex said:

SeanT said:

There will be no EU referendum in 2017. We will in the throes of negotiating our own dissolution. Impossible.

And polls show the combined Tory-UKIP vote easily outweighs other parties. It is a much more obvious match than Tory-Lib Dem.
    A substantial part of the UKIP vote is undoubtedly anti-Tory. Even if it is largely 'ex-tory' (which is a matter of debate). A signficant portion of the Tory vote would be repelled by any association with UKIP.

And that's before one considers the effect associating with UKIP would have on potential floaters between Lab/LibDem and Conservative.

• Options
    SeanT said:

alex said:

SeanT said:

Well, that's rubbish. I'm firmly on the fence over Europe, but there's no way I could vote UKIP unless their candidate was absolutely first-rate.

The problem is that UKIP is a grand coalition of the pi**ed off. You have traditional Tory voters such as SeanF, and Labour voters (I think) like iSam, along with na scattering of never-voters and LibDems. They are united by an anger at the state of the country and 'LibLabCon'.The idea that he latter would vote Conservative, or for an alliance with the Conservatives, is doubtful (although I guess iSam would).

Also, UKIP is, rightly or wrongly, thought of as being extreme. Many people are actively repelled by them, and that would include many centrist Conservative voters.

It's not as simple as adding the Tory and UKIP polling.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

I worry for the credibility of our newest pollster McARSE opened with such a fanfare earlier this year.

but no one can accuse McARSE or any of the ARSE group of lacking self confidence.

Jacks McARSE was actually one of the first to pick up a swing to Yes.

His final prediction was 40.5% yes, on a 80.5% turnout. That was up for Yes from his previous one but down on turnout.

My best financial outcome is if the McARSE is correct, but I did cover it with other bets so I am in profit on any outcome short of 55% Yes.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

Snap.

The 3 wise monkeys appearance will be the coup de grace
  • Options

Roger said:

His final prediction was 40.5% yes, on a 80.5% turnout. That was up for Yes from his previous one but down on turnout.

My best financial outcome is if the McARSE is correct, but I did cover it with other bets so I am in profit on any outcome short of 55% Yes.
    The ARSE is burst , he is floundering in Edinburgh having backed the wrong horse. A total fake.
  • Options
    So....it looks like the YESSERS may win after all. And the rest of us are turnips. Okeydoke.

But...ultimately the joke is on them.

Scotland looks to be in deep trouble now. The mood in England is very clearly rapidly becoming a firm 'screw you then'. The negotiations will be awful - and Scotland will emerge into the world with its largest customer and the country whose money it will use being very very pissed off. If they are foolish enough to stick to the debt share threat then England may become outright hostile in other ways. The actual separation will cause huge instability, costs and resentments across the whole UK. The political dynamic in England will certainly be to ensure that Scotland bears the brunt of that. Generosity and neighbourly cheer will be in terminally short supply. The sensible half of Scotland must be in deep deep despair.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

The ARSE is burst , he is floundering in Edinburgh having backed the wrong horse. A total fake.
    We need to see some results before the verdict on Jacks and Shadsys predictive powers are delivered.

There is increasing hubris in the Yes camp. The analogy with Kinnocks Sheffield rally is not a bad one.
  • Options

Five possible mistakes of the Better Together campaign
    - If Scotland wins independence in next week's referendum the pro-Union campaign will reflect on a few bad judgements

a) Too negative (Better Together has won full marks for outlining what it is opposes but no marks for outlining what it supports)

b) Currency union presentation (Osborne)

c) Alistair Darling's weaknesses

d) Late summer surprise (NHS campaign chimed "intuitively" with Labour voters)

e) Poor timing (the Tory leadership overlooked their own toxicity on fiscal policy in Scotland)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/09/scottish-independence-five-mistakes-better-together-campaign

Surely the Better Together mercenary leadership , only in it for the money have also helped in their downfall.
  • Options

Roger said:

looks liek a loss then , hard to see it being below 55% now
  • Options

Roger said:

The clown has been predicting 2:1 for NO for over a year. He is a fake donkey, just a rich ex Tory clown.
    Had you listened to the few voices in the wilderness instead of mocking us you would have known what was going to happen.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited September 2014
    Roger said:

But they didn't post their final poll for weeks out. Voting started before these shock polls for the 20% of the electorate with postal ballots, which means that all the current over excitement is probably froth.

Also given the widespread reports of intimidatory tactics in the press the last few days I wouldn't be surprised if people who will vote NO will be reluctant to admit this to pollsters.

• Options
    Everyone who disagrees with Malcolm G should be taken out and shot. Where it hurts. Eh, Malc?

Mind you, it's hard to see the arrival of the Cleggeroniband show north of the Wall as being anything other than good for Malc's friends. If he has any.
  • Options

SeanT said:

alex said:

SeanT said:

Well, that's rubbish. I'm firmly on the fence over Europe, but there's no way I could vote UKIP unless their candidate was absolutely first-rate.

The problem is that UKIP is a grand coalition of the pi**ed off. You have traditional Tory voters such as SeanF, and Labour voters (I think) like iSam, along with na scattering of never-voters and LibDems. They are united by an anger at the state of the country and 'LibLabCon'.The idea that he latter would vote Conservative, or for an alliance with the Conservatives, is doubtful (although I guess iSam would).

Also, UKIP is, rightly or wrongly, thought of as being extreme. Many people are actively repelled by them, and that would include many centrist Conservative voters.

More importantly, the Conservative Party still hopes that FPTP will help them defeat UKIP and they will not give up their monopoly on representation of the right without being forced to do so. UKIP have to win many seats at Westminster before it becomes possible for the Tories to contemplate a pact with UKIP.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    edited September 2014
    The real losers are the Westminster politicians who've first had their heads in the sand ...... it won't happen, don't think about it ....... then run about like headless chickens ...... we're all going to Scotland to campaign.

Made themselves look ridiculous!
  • Options

Roger said:

But they didn't post their final poll for weeks out. Voting started before these shock polls for the 20% of the electorate with postal ballots, which means that all the current over excitement is probably froth.

Also given the widespread reports of intimidatory tactics in the press the last few days I wouldn't be surprised if people who will vote NO will be reluctant to admit this to pollsters.

Dream on , there is no intimidation , sour grapes from pathetic unionist media. It is happening and has been for some time. The ARSE is burst , a fake.
  • Options

Everyone who disagrees with Malcolm G should be taken out and shot. Where it hurts. Eh, Malc?

Mind you, it's hard to see the arrival of the Cleggeroniband show north of the Wall as being anything other than good for Malc's friends. If he has any.

Innocent , a hard kick will do fine , I am not a violent man. That may knock some sense into them, shake up the brain cells.
    There will be merriment aplenty with the 3 wise monkeys arriving for a day in the wilds. They will be like fish out of water.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    twitter.com/laurenkatyford/status/509413819656179712/photo/1
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

SeanT said:

alex said:

SeanT said:

In what are we - UKIP - extreme #Foxinsox?
    Is it extreme to want the UK government to govern for the British people and not be in thrall to EU bureaucrats from umpteen nations who couldn't give a damn about our welfare?

Is it extreme to want us to guard our borders as a sovereign nation?

Is it extreme to want a government to think of the indigenous peoples of our island first?

Is it extreme to want controlled immigration?

No, to all the above.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    They are coming

twitter.com/BerthanPete/status/509454629277814786/photo/1
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    LOL

twitter.com/neilwilson443/status/509452042411458560/photo/1
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    @malcolmg

What is your prediction for the survation poll?

I'm going to go Y46/N45/DK9
  • Options
    Malc there will be quite an element of rebellious Scot crushing in the Sindy negotiations won't there?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

alex said:

SeanT said:

Cameron will resign after YES. Most likely next leader Hammond. Harder, flintier, able to deal with UKIP

Polls show a Tory-UKIP alliance could win in 2015. Certainly 2016, after Indy. A government to drive a hard bargain with Edinburgh and Brussels.
    He won't resign if they vote Yes.

It has dawned on me why I am so 'meh' about this whole thing: I'm not a unionist and never have been. I can't see the point of it. Cobbling together disparate peoples doesn't work in the EU, and I can't see why it should work in the British Isles. With a bit of luck we might finally give the boot to the nonsense of Northern Ireland being joined to us. As for the Welsh? I can see some sort of rationale for staying as a collective there.

For the Conservatives this will ultimately be great news. They can rid themselves of a chunk of Labour heartland and cash-in on the English nationalism.

The biggest headache I can see after 'Yes' would come with GE2015. If we think the West Lothian question is serious now, it is going to be serious next year: why should Scotland have any say in Westminster's make up if they vote for Independence?
  • Options
    Here's a question: Why is the blue of the Saltire a lighter shade of blue than that in the Union Jack?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Malc there will be quite an element of rebellious Scot crushing in the Sindy negotiations won't there?

Patrick , should be fun , hopefully you boys don't use your top team or it will be a walkover. Can you imagine the 3 wise monkies , Brown , Alexander , what a defence.
  • Options
    Pong said:

@malcolmg

Pong Y48/N44/DK8
  • Options
    BoabBoab Posts: 13

Reluctant to click on the NO tab in an online poll?

Scraping the barrel there!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Patrick , should be fun , hopefully you boys don't use your top team or it will be a walkover. Can you imagine the 3 wise monkies , Brown , Alexander , what a defence.
    Well - the key issue is and always was the money. I expect and demand Osborne to do the negotiating. You underestimate the strength of the political dynamic in England this is creating.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Here's a question: Why is the blue of the Saltire a lighter shade of blue than that in the Union Jack?

Patrick , lot about it on there, used to vary but fixed in 2003 on the current shade.
    http://www.scottish-at-heart.com/flag-of-scotland.html
  • Options
    MikeK said:

In what are we - UKIP - extreme #Foxinsox?
    Is it extreme to want the UK government to govern for the British people and not be in thrall to EU bureaucrats from umpteen nations who couldn't give a damn about our welfare?

Is it extreme to want us to guard our borders as a sovereign nation?

Is it extreme to want a government to think of the indigenous peoples of our island first?

Is it extreme to want controlled immigration?

No, to all the above.

I am not foxinsox.

And yes, I'd say the term 'indigenous' in that context is extreme. How do you define it? Would it include (say) my wife?

If you cannot see why such language repels people, then there's little hope for you.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Well - the key issue is and always was the money. I expect and demand Osborne to do the negotiating. You underestimate the strength of the political dynamic in England this is creating.
    I would not be thrilled at Osborne in my team , he has not proved he can count yet. They are all a bit Man Utd at the moment , lower league team in place and needing a clear out.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    LOL....Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse cometh

twitter.com/tarrybreeks/status/509469591517802497/photo/1
  • Options
    Unfortunately I have to leave , actually have to go out today but at least it will be a pleasant drive in the sun. Work beckons.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

alex said:

A substantial part of the UKIP vote is undoubtedly anti-Tory. Even if it is largely 'ex-tory' (which is a matter of debate). A signficant portion of the Tory vote would be repelled by any association with UKIP.

And that's before one considers the effect associating with UKIP would have on potential floaters between Lab/LibDem and Conservative.

Tosh. Power overrides everything. A significant portion of the Libs found the Tories unpalatable. A large number of Tories saw lib europhile views as repulsive. Yet a deal was done. FOR POWER. Same with UKIP and Tories.

Besides, UKIP are a better fit than Libs, and they are the coming force (esp after YES).

Tories need Farage and his skills. Forget all the lefty sneering. The left is, philosophically, a busted flush after they lost their Scottish heartland after all their sneering and gerrymandering.
    Missing the point completely. The Con-Lib coalition was formed after the election. Yes a large factor in its formation was the pursuit of Power (although there was undoubtedly an element that saw it as the only viable stable govt in the context of a stable govt being vital for the National Interest). But it was formed on the basis of certainty. If they made a deal they could command a signficant majority in the House of Commons.

You are (presumably) advocating a pre-election Tory-UKIP deal/pact/alliance (I'm not sure). Which is what i'm saying is utterly unworkable and undemocratic (and ridiculous considering the Tory previous fundamental rejection of AV for which this would be a poor substitute).

No doubt if there is a General Election and the Tories have a choice between a stable coalition with the LibDems and one with UKIP, they might prefer the latter. But that would require UKIP getting significantly more seats than they are likely to come close to on current polling (or even a signficant increase on current polling). They will just rack up loads of votes in seats where it won't be enough, whilst having a influence at the margins on Tory-Lab-Lib contests.
  • Options
    I apologise for misnaming you #JosiasJessop

First, I don't know your wife, pleasant as she may be.
    Secondly, I mentioned indigenous peoples - in the plural.

If such language repels you, you are indeed a sad case of an indoctrinated lefty.
  • Options

SeanT said:

alex said:

SeanT said:

Cameron will resign after YES. Most likely next leader Hammond. Harder, flintier, able to deal with UKIP

Polls show a Tory-UKIP alliance could win in 2015. Certainly 2016, after Indy. A government to drive a hard bargain with Edinburgh and Brussels.

It has dawned on me why I am so 'meh' about this whole thing: I'm not a unionist and never have been. I can't see the point of it. Cobbling together disparate peoples doesn't work in the EU, and I can't see why it should work in the British Isles. With a bit of luck we might finally give the boot to the nonsense of Northern Ireland being joined to us. As for the Welsh? I can see some sort of rationale for staying as a collective there.

For the Conservatives this will ultimately be great news. They can rid themselves of a chunk of Labour heartland and cash-in on the English nationalism.

The biggest headache I can see after 'Yes' would come with GE2015. If we think the West Lothian question is serious now, it is going to be serious next year: why should Scotland have any say in Westminster's make up if they vote for Independence?
    I honestly believe that there will have to be some memorandum of understanding. Say, that Scottish MPs are entitled to vote on matters affecting the whole UK and nothing else. When it comes to determining who has the confidence of the house, they will not count towards the total (they can hardly influence the very government who is negotiating with them to leave...).
  • Options

SeanT said:

alex said:

SeanT said:

I honestly believe that there will have to be some memorandum of understanding. Say, that Scottish MPs are entitled to vote on matters affecting the whole UK and nothing else. When it comes to determining who has the confidence of the house, they will not count towards the total (they can hardly influence the very government who is negotiating with them to leave...).
    Which just goes to prove that the in/out referendum/devomax arrangements are one big F*CK UP.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

I would not be thrilled at Osborne in my team , he has not proved he can count yet. They are all a bit Man Utd at the moment , lower league team in place and needing a clear out.
    Anyone else noticed how much weight he has lost? He looks a lot better for it.

You see how I can focus on what really matters?

I suppose if Cameron loses the United Kingdom after 300 years it doesn't look great in one light, but in another he has allowed the people of Scotland to decide their fate and that's quite a good show really.

I still cannot see why he should resign. If he can get his antediluvian backbenchers to get over themselves and move on, he will be fine. I'm beginning to hope earnestly that the Scots do vote Yes. Unionism is all its forms, whether in the UK or EU, has probably had its day.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I apologise for misnaming you #JosiasJessop

First, I don't know your wife, pleasant as she may be.
    Secondly, I mentioned indigenous peoples - in the plural.

If such language repels you, you are indeed a sad case of an indoctrinated lefty.

I'm not sure I'm a lefty, either. You sure are quick to apply labels.

I also don't think a Turkish immigrant can be counted in any reasonable definition of 'indigenous' wrt to the UK.

So go on, tell me how you would put indigenous people first over her?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Pong said:

@malcolmg

That wouldn't be sensational. It'd be quite boring, actually. I think someone needs to be leading by at least 53-47 to justify the hype. I'd guess it's Yes 53.
    SeanT said:

Tosh. Power overrides everything. A significant portion of the Libs found the Tories unpalatable. A large number of Tories saw lib europhile views as repulsive. Yet a deal was done. FOR POWER. Same with UKIP and Tories.

Besides, UKIP are a better fit than Libs, and they are the coming force (esp after YES).

Tories need Farage and his skills. Forget all the lefty sneering. The left is, philosophically, a busted flush after they lost their Scottish heartland after all their sneering and gerrymandering.

Farage would certainly be up for a deal - he quite clearly dislikes being seen by many as the head of an extreme part. But it's also true that a lot of UKIP voters are vehemently opposed to one or both of the main parties and would react just as LibDem voters reacted to the Coalition. Note that it was a LASTING reaction - it happened almost immediately the Coalition was formed, and the LibDems who left have formed an implacably anti-Government bloc ever since, for over four years.

Incidentally, your rant on the last thread and the one from viewcode were genuinely impressive - the sort of OTT pieces which aren't just froth and spittle but actually make people who disagree with you think, "Hmm, maybe he's got something."
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

First Minister reportedly taunted the Westminster government over whether an independent Scotland should take on its share of the national debt, saying: “What are they going to do – invade?”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11086121/Independent-Scotland-wont-pay-back-debt-Alex-Salmond-says.html

Including presumably refusing to sign off the independence deal. The 2016 "deadline" is Salmond's.

Wouldn't UKEWNI just say "our way or the highway" until Salmond agrees? We could drag this out for years.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @MikeK‌

I have never said UKIP are extreme (or racist for that matter).

I have said that UKIP have the wrong answers to the wrong questions. I also believe them to be a wolf in sheeps clothing to the WWC voters, and run by a pub bore, alternately Blimpish and Pooteresque.

I do not like them or their politics, but I have never called them extreme!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Whistling in the dark here but are we not at the point that a lead for no would be pretty sensational?

My daughter was out in the west end of Dundee last night and had the best results for no she has had to date. It is probably one of the best areas in Dundee for No so it would be a mistake to read too much into it but people were more motivated and frankly anxious.
  • Options
    From the Guardian:

"The Conservative MP Nicola Blackwood said the committee had heard evidence in private from the Home Office researcher that her 2002 report had been greeted with hostility by South Yorkshire police. She said they had heard evidence that the researcher had been contacted by two officers who threatened to pass her name to the groomers in Rotherham and she had been left in fear of her life."

Have we had any response from Theresa May about this ?
  • Options
    Got a feeling Yes is going to do it. Salmond is just an absolute master - looking at him last night, calm, funny, relaxed, charismatic. You would never know that he was on the brink of completing his life's work. In another strata of talent to our lot.
  • Options

This seems the current repetitive bleat on PB, Apart from an egg, a bit of heckling and some aggressive stickering (all returned with interest by Noers), what intimidation do you refer to?
  • Options

Including presumably refusing to sign off the independence deal. The 2016 "deadline" is Salmond's.

Wouldn't UKEWNI just say "our way or the highway" until Salmond agrees? We could drag this out for years.
    This is one of Salmonds weirder qualities. For all his political nous and claims he'll be the best of friends with rUK, he throws out little pithy asides now and again that serve to diminish him.
  • Options
    So has Scotland got the tar and feathers ready for today's visitors ?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited September 2014

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

I suppose if Cameron loses the United Kingdom after 300 years it doesn't look great in one light, but in another he has allowed the people of Scotland to decide their fate and that's quite a good show really.

I still cannot see why he should resign. If he can get his antediluvian backbenchers to get over themselves and move on, he will be fine. I'm beginning to hope earnestly that the Scots do vote Yes. Unionism is all its forms, whether in the UK or EU, has probably had its day.
    One of the antediluvians was in Newsnight last night. John Redwood said DC should not resign, it was not his fault, he couldn't refuse a referendum once the SNP won, and he should continue. He was entirely sanguine about a Yes vote although clearly it would sadden him deeply.

He also outlined some perfectly sensible proposals for EVEL and further devolution to S/W/NI in the event of a No.
  • Options

This seems the current repetitive bleat on PB, Apart from an egg, a bit of heckling and some aggressive stickering (all returned with interest by Noers), what intimidation do you refer to?
    Just bad losers, upset their lot are rubbish so try to blame the other side.
  • Options
    Some have suggested there may be a Sheffield Rally moment for the Yes campaign in the coming days..

... I fear with the arrival of the party leaders today there is more potential for such a moment on the No side...

What odds Cameron dropping the saltire whilst Miliband looks on eating a bacon sandwich and Clegg screams "We're aaalright!"?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    DavidL said:

Whistling in the dark here but are we not at the point that a lead for no would be pretty sensational?

My daughter was out in the west end of Dundee last night and had the best results for no she has had to date. It is probably one of the best areas in Dundee for No so it would be a mistake to read too much into it but people were more motivated and frankly anxious.

Well i suppose the entire "No" strategy was based upon polling that the election would be won because a signficant c30% persuadable minority would worry too much about the economic consequences. Despite everything we won't know if their initial polling was right until the votes are actually cast. They may not respond to dire warnings and "scaremongering stories" and like to project an image of not having them influence their vote, but that's very different to actually casting their vote. Polling is not voting. Especially as some of the financial consequences actually seem to be starting already.

The danger with the current panic in the No camp is that many of those who ultimately swing back may just come to the conclusion that it is too late, Scotland is gone, and they might as well be on the winning side.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

One of the antediluvians was in Newsnight last night. John Redwood said DC should not resign, it was not his fault, he couldn't refuse a referendum once the SNP won, and he should continue.

He also outlined some perfectly sensible proposals for EVEL and further devolution to S/W/NI in the event of a No.
    John Redwood was on bizarre form last night. it's not Cameron's calling of the referendum that puts his job at stake, it would be his failure to campaign and win the referendum.

He is clearly still trying to atone for past disloyalty.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

From the Guardian:

"The Conservative MP Nicola Blackwood said the committee had heard evidence in private from the Home Office researcher that her 2002 report had been greeted with hostility by South Yorkshire police. She said they had heard evidence that the researcher had been contacted by two officers who threatened to pass her name to the groomers in Rotherham and she had been left in fear of her life."

Have we had any response from Theresa May about this ?

I trust that the HO researcher has the numbers of those officers, as their action appears to be one of colluding and abetting a crime or potential crime/protecting suspected criminals. This smells of police corruption on a significant scale in that town and probably in other towns.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Patrick said:

So....it looks like the YESSERS may win after all. And the rest of us are turnips. Okeydoke.

But...ultimately the joke is on them.

Scotland looks to be in deep trouble now. The mood in England is very clearly rapidly becoming a firm 'screw you then'. The negotiations will be awful - and Scotland will emerge into the world with its largest customer and the country whose money it will use being very very pissed off. If they are foolish enough to stick to the debt share threat then England may become outright hostile in other ways. The actual separation will cause huge instability, costs and resentments across the whole UK. The political dynamic in England will certainly be to ensure that Scotland bears the brunt of that. Generosity and neighbourly cheer will be in terminally short supply. The sensible half of Scotland must be in deep deep despair.

Just stick the repudiated debt on Englands balance sheet as an asset and veto Scotland's membership of the EU, UN, NATO, visa waiver programme, etc until it is repaid. And charge a defaulter's interest rate - say 10%
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2014

In another strata of talent to our lot.

This sort of estimation of politicians is precisely what is wrong with our politics.

Salmond is a useless politician. Useless and dangerous. He has a genius for winning the argument. But his argment is a lie. Look back in ten years after a YES and see that he may have ruined his country. Was Blair a politician genius or a total gimp who gave us 13 years of illegal war, financial ruin and EU surrender? Was Hitler an election winning guru? (yes he was - a political genius of an order his contemporaries had no match for - and what a historically awful human being he was too.)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    DavidL said:

Do you think the polling is out of line with experience on the doorstep? Have things actually changed on the ground in recent weeks?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited September 2014
    Morning all. I don't doubt that there will be turmoil in the case of a 'Yes' vote. However, I do think it's yet another example of what a great nation we are. We are prepared to let the Scots go their own way, in a reasonably civilised fashion. What other country would be so saintly?

Once we leave the EU we can resume our eternal wars against the Frenchies and the Scots, and all that was old will be new again. Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I'd do it the other way round.

The first action should be to pass a Interim Devolution Act.

Essentially every power that is not strictly needed at the UK level (eg defence, fco) would be devolved to Holyrood. SMPs are only allowed to vote on non-devolved matters, and not on confidence or money bills.

After GE15, the SMPs should not be elected, but Holyrood should appoint a number of temporary reprentatives, in proportion to the MSP parties, until i-day.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I don't want this to happen or anything but if there's going to be an rUK EU referendum in the next 10 years or so anyhow then it feels like there's a case for bringing it forward and working out where the English stand _before_ doing the negotiations with Scotland. The arrangements you'd make if both countries are in the EU would be very different to the ones you'd make if one of them is leaving.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited September 2014
    Patrick said:

In another strata of talent to our lot.

This sort of estimation of politicians is precisely what is wrong with our politics.

Salmond is a useless politician. Useless and dangerous. He has a genius for winning the argument. But his argment is a lie. Look back in ten years after a YES and see that he may have ruined his country. Was Blair a politician genius or a total gimp who gave us 13 years of illegal war, financial ruin and EU surrender? Was Hitler an election winning guru? (yes he was - a political genius of an order his contemporaries had no match for - and what a historically awful human being he was too.)
    Two very good examples of "Power corrupts etc", except Blair's financial achievement was always his target and he used a down and out Labour party (and the opportunity of John Smith's death) to achieve this.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Morning all. I don't doubt that there will be turmoil in the case of a 'Yes' vote. However, I do think it's yet another example of what a great nation we are. We are prepared to let the Scots go their own way, in a reasonably civilised fashion. What other country would be so saintly?

Once we leave the EU we can resume our eternal wars against the Frenchies and the Scots, and all that was old will be new again. Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George!

Down with Welfarism! Up with Livery and Maintenance!

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I have to say that something like 55No 45YES would also be pretty sensational at this stage. I don't think it is so cut and dried that this poll will be showing a Yes.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

John_M said:

Down with Welfarism! Up with Livery and Maintenance!

That's the spirit!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

DavidL said:

Do you think the polling is out of line with experience on the doorstep? Have things actually changed on the ground in recent weeks?
    Really impossible to say because we don't have before and afters. We are not canvassing the same houses twice.

My own experience is that there have been some areas which have been very strongly yes but most areas have been pretty close one way or the other. I was seeing that before the polls indicated the result was close so it may well be that the polls have just caught up with the reality on the ground rather than picking up any sensational change. Yougov, in particular, have made something of an arse of themselves in this campaign.

What I and members of my family have been picking up is that the no vote is more motivated and determined in recent times. I think a couple of months ago there were a lot of people who weren't that bothered about voting because the result was a foregone conclusion. That, to put it mildly, is no longer the case.

I have also noted a massive advantage for no in those who have already voted but I suspect this is a result of demographics (mainly older voters) than any indication of the final result.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Also, I am really annoyed I didn't absolutely lump on at 7 on Betfair rather than just dabbling and trading.
This discussion has been closed.