Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’ve backed Philip Hammond as next Prime Minister at 33

1235»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,222

Well thats fine to a point but either you (ie Labour) are telling untruths about what Labour would do for Scotland or you are handing over more power and money from the rest of the UK. Might keep Scotland in the union but will it keep you votes across the non Scotland part of the UK?
    I don't believe the rest of the UK will accept more concessions to Scotland .

What form do you think the non-acceptance will take? The three main parties have all said they support the plan. I don't think they'll renege. The "don't much care really" attitude of most English people to the Scottish decision cuts both ways - they're also not much bothered if Scotland gets more devolution as a reward for saying No, even without any quid pro quo.

The non-acceptance will be public opinion. The leaders say they support this plan at the moment, but likely Scottish intransigence will give them ample room to say: "The Scots aren't playing ball and/or are negotiating in bad faith."

And then there's the possibility that the leaders during the negotiation will be the same leaders we have now (despite my previous posts).

Devomax was always a barmy idea that will be hard to sell to the EW&NI public which is why, despite what Surby says, all three main UK parties wanted a straight in-out question. (*) The only way it would work is if we moved to a more federal system, and that's a whole other ballgame.

If public opinion in EW&NI shifts against any deal (and there are good reasons why they might be angry at WestLothian++) then the first party to change position will benefit.

(*) I hope I've got that right.
    There is NO plan , it si only a timetable for a talking shop. These B*****rds will not transfer any powers.
  • Options

Patrick said:

glw said:

Patrick said:
    There will be no good outcome of this referendum.
    I'd say there will be no bad outcome. Whatever happens now the self serving political elites have exposed themselves for what they are - contemptuous of how the hoi polloi might intrude into their well laid plans.

Least worst is Clegg - who has kept admirably quiet up til now. (That hurt!)
    Middling worst is Dave who tried to keep a low profile, honouring the Scottish disdain for English Tories but then being a wanker and getting on a Gordon Brown (!!!) bandwagon.
    Worst by a country mile Labour. Utterly cynically promising Scotland the moon but no respect whatever for the 92%. Why doesn't Labour just rename itself the Fcuk the English Party?

The referendum started by being about Scotland. It seems to have become about England and about the relationship between those who would govern us and the governed. The people have gained power this week. Alot of it.

(read the comments at Guido's)
    Thought LAB were offering least to Scotland in DEVOMAX terms LDs offering most.
    You miss the point. Scotland already has grossly unfair preferential treatment vs the rest of the UK. 11% per head higher spending. Self rule over devolved matters. And their MPs can vote on devolved matters for England. English students can't go to Scottish universities. Free prescriptions, blah blah blah. But they don't like democracy because the 92% often elects governments less to the 8%'s liking. Surrey feels the same when Labour are in power but doesn't throw teddy in the corner. If they don't want to be part of our country - fine. Vote YES and eff off!

Brown/Labour/Dave/Ed - they have no right whatever to offer anything to Scotland without the consent of the ignored and disdained 92%. Any offer to Scotland comes from the 92%'s tax. This is rank contempt for the 92%. The ones who pay those arseholes' salaries. They are elected to represent us.This is the point. This is why Farage hoovers up the disaffected. The referendum is turning into expensegate times infinity.

Dave should not go north. He should say: 'We want you, we would miss you, you have contributed and gained over and above your share over the last 300 years - but if you feel you must go, then go. We would accept it with a heavy heart. Do it with eyes wide open however, because Salmond is a lying cnut who's promised you a rainbow and you'll be destitute.'
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited September 2014
    AndyJS said:

Today's developments are completely embarrassing. The flag flying nonsense is just that, patronising nonsense. The flag falling at No 10 is perhaps an omen. As for the 3 Westminster leaders coming to Scotland tomorrow, that is a gift to the YES side.

Yes, that was my impression. Everyone knows the one thing Scots don't like is being patronised by the English and this seems to fall into that category.
    Will the 3 stooges be wearing kilts tomorrow?

They're not even on their Tartan Terror Tour, and they've managed to both wind up rUK, and further entrench the Scots.
  • Options

Patrick said:

glw said:

Patrick said:
    I'd say there will be no bad outcome. Whatever happens now the self serving political elites have exposed themselves for what they are - contemptuous of how the hoi polloi might intrude into their well laid plans.

Middling worst is Dave who tried to keep a low profile, honouring the Scottish disdain for English Tories but then being a wanker and getting on a Gordon Brown (!!!) bandwagon.
    Worst by a country mile Labour. Utterly cynically promising Scotland the moon but no respect whatever for the 92%. Why doesn't Labour just rename itself the Fcuk the English Party?

The referendum started by being about Scotland. It seems to have become about England and about the relationship between those who would govern us and the governed. The people have gained power this week. Alot of it.

All offering the square root of nothing. How could Scotland vary income tax in the union. It would be impossible and disasterous.
  • Options

Today's developments are completely embarrassing. The flag flying nonsense is just that, patronising nonsense. The flag falling at No 10 is perhaps an omen. As for the 3 Westminster leaders coming to Scotland tomorrow, that is a gift to the YES side.

Shhhhh...

Some of them still think that they know what they are talking about.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    MalcG Good for you, everyone else will move onto the next election and the EU referendum
  • Options
    Devomax and English votes for English laws is the way forward
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

glw said:

I'm now thinking a YES would be considerably cleaner than a NO, after all this. If NO had coasted to a 57-43 win, all well and good, but this late panic and fag-paper constitution stuff is terrible.
    Quite right - the now inevitable closeness of the vote means the independence issue simply isn't going to go away, ever.

"If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well it were done quickly."
    Tomorrow will be interesting.

3 flapping idiots on a panic tour of Scotland. Will SeanT be driving their hysteria bus?
    I hope Farage doesn't join them. Anyone who sells out England for some tilted devomax solution is going to get a hell of a backlash.

How about taxes raised in England get spent in England?
    Farage will sit back, and go with the flow of his City backers.

Why stop there. Taxes raised in the South East, are all spent there. Larger population than Scotland, why not?
    Good Evening.

By running up the Saltire on flagpoles all over England and Wales the Lab/Lib/Cons show how bankrupt of decency and policy they are: how they are all willing to surrender long held positions and beliefs and spout any rubbish, to hold on to power.

The contrast with UKIP couldn't be more plain.

Farage has long planned to be in Scotland on Friday, 12th sept; and no he wont be joining the NO campaign as such, although he would welcome a NO vote and will say so. The problem is how he will be welcomed by the SNP thugs.
  • Options
    Scott P There will not English and Welsh voters will not accept currency union under any circumstances
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    glw said:

NATO nuclear depth charges were stored close to Plymouth, and other sites in the south. Current warheads are designed, manufactured and serviced at facilities a few miles outside Reading, where obsolete RAF weapons were also stored and decommissioned.

Funny thing is in my experience people who live near Aldermaston, or Porton Down, are not bothered. If anything they seem to take a perverse sort of pride that one mistake and it would be curtains.

They can stick then Vanguard submarines in the Thames as far as I'm concerned. That would beat HMS Belfast hands down. :)
    I found the same when I was up near Sizewell a couple of years back and before that at Dungeness. People living with the "danger" don't give a hoot.

Back in the day I went on a chemical warfare course. The chaps running it started off by telling us about this horrendous gas/aerosol, I forget its name now but let us call it Agent X. They explained just how jolly lethal it was, exactly, and in graphic detail, how it killed, how big an area would need to be cleared down-wind of a release point and what would need to be done to clear up afterwards. They then said that in civvy street Agent X was known as somelongcomplicatedname and there were tankers of it going up and down the motorways everyday.

Actual risk and perception of risk really are very different things.

• Options

AndyJS said:

Clegg might consider going to Orkney or Shetland tomorrow where there are still LD supporters. Otherwise he might have rather an uncomfortable time.

According to last nights poll, LDs are most likely to be undecided.
    The Lib Dems are also the Unionist party whose supporters are most likely to vote Yes:

CarlottaVance said:
    Referendum vote by Holyrood 2011 vote (excl DK): Y/N

Con: 2/98
    LAB: 28/72
    LibD: 39/69
    SNP: 87/13

Lab (18%) and LibD (31%) still have quite high Don't knows - 90% of the Tory & SNP Voters have made up their minds.

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/uploads/files/TNSUK_SOM2014Sep9_DataTables.pdf
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited September 2014
    A large amount of gibberish has been written on pb.com but TSE has taken the biscuit with this thread cracker. It is so detached from the reality of what makes politicians tick (power and all power) as to be beyond hilarity.

I'm expecting a very anti-climactic narrow win for No: the kind which makes the Yes campaign claim some sort of Pyrrhic victory but which in reality dribbles away like porridge on the after-breakfast beard. If, per contra, the Scots do lose their collective mind and vote 'Yes' it won't be the end of Cameron. It will, rightly as it happens, be championed as a victory for allowing the people, all daft ones amongst them, the right to decide.

It remains magnificently boring to those of us south of the border. I don't care whether they do or don't decide to cut themselves 'free' but then I'm not a unionist so I don't give a fig.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited September 2014
    HYUFD said:

Scott P There will not English and Welsh voters will not accept currency union under any circumstances

Yes, I know. MacAskill is the MSP who is finally coming to terms with the words "no currency union"
  • Options

The nats are perfectly entitled to use the Saltire in this sort of vote i woudl have thought. i also woudl have thought unionists would like to use the Union Jack but it seems they prefer the Saltire as well!!
    I suppose it comes down to politicians trying to be everything to everyone which is increasingly annoying as the years go by. Just say what you believe in and let people decide if they also believe in it FGS

They cannot use the union jack due to its connections with OO their non partners in the botch up.
  • Options
    Has anyone pointed out to the Scots that just as North Sea Oil & Gas reserves are becoming seriously depleted, they appear intent on leaving the UK at precisely the same time as England is about to enjoy the enormous revenues to be derived for decades to come from its burgeoning fracking industry?
    Perhaps they don't care.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

They really are stupid , only thing that could be worse than old girning Brown spouting lies is those three monkeys coming up. I presume they will be kept well away from normal people.
    Undoubtedly. None of the three stooges is remotely capable of talking to normal members of the Scottish general public. They will be securely cocooned by their minders.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

glw said:

Patrick said:

All offering the square root of nothing. How could Scotland vary income tax in the union. It would be impossible and disasterous.
    so what is salmond planning for iScotland to mirror UK tax policy ? Hang on to those apron strings.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @foxinsoxuk

'I hope Farage doesn't join them. Anyone who sells out England for some tilted devomax solution is going to get a hell of a backlash.'

Any clue where the mandate came from for this massive give-away?

We were told that any further devolution for Scotland would be in parallel with changes in the rest of the UK ,but of course no mention of that.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

glw said:

Patrick said:

so what is salmond planning for iScotland to mirror UK tax policy ? Hang on to those apron strings.
    Alan, are you implying I am domesticated.
    Only one apron I know of and it is not domestic.
  • Options

Shhhhh...

Some of them still think that they know what they are talking about.
    Clearly none of them do.

And that includes Salmond.

Regardless, Sterling won't be shared.
  • Options
    Yes now means Yes and No means not yet. Close No poll will surely see this run on for years.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Yes, that was my impression. Everyone knows the one thing Scots don't like is being patronised by the English and this seems to fall into that category.
    Excellent. Just had a fleeting image of the 1822 visit of King George IV to Scotland, the first visit of a reigning monarch since 1650. The Hanoverian fool was all dolled up in a kilt by Walter Scott. That man had a sense of humour.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11083426/No-need-for-Britain-to-fear-leaving-EU-say-economists.html

No need for Britain to fear leaving EU, say economists
    Economists say that the idea that millions of jobs would be lost if Britain pulled out of the EU is 'wholly misleading'.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

They're not even on their Tartan Terror Tour, and they've managed to both wind up rUK, and further entrench the Scots.
    Expect Dave to highlight the fact that Cameron is a Scottish name.
    What an embarrassing day.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Excellent. Just had a fleeting image of the 1822 visit of King George IV to Scotland, the first visit of a reigning monarch since 1650. The Hanoverian fool was all dolled up in a kilt by Walter Scott. That man had a sense of humour.
    Clegg can wear a ginger wig and tartan bonnet, whilst Cameron and Miliband refresh their parts with McEwans Export.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited September 2014
    I've got admit, I quite like Alex Salmond. Saw him on the news tonight looking calm, relaxed, confident even cracking a joke.

Compare that to the shower that is Cameron, Clegg and Miliband. If I lived in Scotland I'd be tempted I must admit...
  • Options
    Scott P Indeed
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    malcolmg said:

Well thats fine to a point but either you (ie Labour) are telling untruths about what Labour would do for Scotland or you are handing over more power and money from the rest of the UK. Might keep Scotland in the union but will it keep you votes across the non Scotland part of the UK?
    I don't believe the rest of the UK will accept more concessions to Scotland .

What form do you think the non-acceptance will take? The three main parties have all said they support the plan. I don't think they'll renege. The "don't much care really" attitude of most English people to the Scottish decision cuts both ways - they're also not much bothered if Scotland gets more devolution as a reward for saying No, even without any quid pro quo.

The non-acceptance will be public opinion. The leaders say they support this plan at the moment, but likely Scottish intransigence will give them ample room to say: "The Scots aren't playing ball and/or are negotiating in bad faith."

And then there's the possibility that the leaders during the negotiation will be the same leaders we have now (despite my previous posts).

Devomax was always a barmy idea that will be hard to sell to the EW&NI public which is why, despite what Surby says, all three main UK parties wanted a straight in-out question. (*) The only way it would work is if we moved to a more federal system, and that's a whole other ballgame.

If public opinion in EW&NI shifts against any deal (and there are good reasons why they might be angry at WestLothian++) then the first party to change position will benefit.

(*) I hope I've got that right.
    There is NO plan , it si only a timetable for a talking shop. These B*****rds will not transfer any powers.
    For once I hope you are right. I will not vote for a party that doesn't treat England equally. EVFEL and tax independence for England too.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I've got admit, I quite like Alex Salmond. Saw him on the news tonight looking calm, relaxed, confident even cracking a joke.

Compare that to the shower that is Cameron, Clegg and Miliband. If I lived in Scotland I'd be tempted I must admit...

yes that what the people who voted for blair though too.
  • Options
    Westminster, don't you just love them.
    Yes vote resignations galore, No vote, English people up in arms about Scotland's preferential treatment.
    Farage rubbing his hands with glee.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11083426/No-need-for-Britain-to-fear-leaving-EU-say-economists.html

No need for Britain to fear leaving EU, say economists
    Economists say that the idea that millions of jobs would be lost if Britain pulled out of the EU is 'wholly misleading'.

Bit like the bollocks talked on here re Scotland leaving the union then
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2014

AndyJS said:

Miliband has already pulled that stunt - he claims to have a 'strong affinity' with Scotland because his father was stationed there some 60 odd years ago. #cringe.
  • Options

Westminster, don't you just love them.
    Yes vote resignations galore, No vote, English people up in arms about Scotland's preferential treatment.
    Farage rubbing his hands with glee.

Farage as PM , who would have thought, from no MP's to PM in one fell swoop.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

How low can the unionist stooges stoop though. Lower than rattle snakes bellies I reckon.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Miliband has already pulled that stunt - he claims to have a 'strong affinity' with Scotland because his father was stationed there some 60 odd years ago. #cringe.
    Cameron had a relative there 150 years ago , what can Clegg drag up from the depths. He is related to a fearsome beastie that bites people in Scotland no doubt.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721

Would be fun, even if to see the bien pensants choke on their quinoa. Wonder how many will threaten to emigrate to Scotland if Farage were to become PM.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2014
    "Are you heeding Ed Miliband's call to fly the Saltire across the UK?

Miliband said: “Over the next few days we want cities, towns and villages across the UK to send a message to Scotland: stay with us. We want to see the Saltire flying above buildings all across our country.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/09/are-you-heeding-ed-milibands-call-to-fly-the-saltire-across-the-uk-scotland-independence
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Asset managers, investors and pension savers are moving billions of pounds out of Scotland, according to industry executives, amid rising concerns about the financial consequences of a Yes vote in next week’s independence referendum.

Multrees Investor Services, a manager of bank accounts for the wealth management industry, said it alone had moved hundreds of millions of pounds on behalf of several wealth managers. “They’ve all been taking action,” said Chris Fisher, Multrees’ chief executive. “If our clients are doing it then other financial services companies are doing it as well.”
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/09/why-i-am-voting-no/
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    I think yes are going to win this. The 3 wise men are just positioning themselves for when the blame game starts. Westminster has badly misjudged the Scottish zeitgeist.

Goodbye Scotland. It was nice knowin' ya.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Andora 1-0 up against Wales.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    AndyJS said:

Miliband said: “Over the next few days we want cities, towns and villages across the UK to send a message to Scotland: stay with us. We want to see the Saltire flying above buildings all across our country.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/09/are-you-heeding-ed-milibands-call-to-fly-the-saltire-across-the-uk-scotland-independence

Scotland, for the love of all that's holy, please vote for independence. At least you might have a chance to escape this muppet. There's no hope for us, but you don't have to suffer any more.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Asset managers, investors and pension savers are moving billions of pounds out of Scotland, according to industry executives, amid rising concerns about the financial consequences of a Yes vote in next week’s independence referendum.

Multrees Investor Services, a manager of bank accounts for the wealth management industry, said it alone had moved hundreds of millions of pounds on behalf of several wealth managers. “They’ve all been taking action,” said Chris Fisher, Multrees’ chief executive. “If our clients are doing it then other financial services companies are doing it as well.”
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/09/why-i-am-voting-no/

good article by Massie, sums up neatly the non-economic case for the union
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721

He truly is even more pathetic than I thought.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Patrick said:

You miss the point. Scotland already has grossly unfair preferential treatment vs the rest of the UK. 11% per head higher spending. Self rule over devolved matters. And their MPs can vote on devolved matters for England. English students can't go to Scottish universities. Free prescriptions, blah blah blah. ......

If PB still had the +1 system from 2 or 3 versions ago, I would be clicking the +1 button until my mouse broke.

I am reaching the point that I want YES to win, for all the wrong reasons

• Options
    One of the best displays of choreography I've seen in a long time.

Great fun too. It will help loosen those tensions you've all been feeling lately.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturevideo/tvandradiovideo/11084038/Ohio-State-Marching-Band-pays-tribute-to-Game-of-Thrones-and-The-Office.html
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Price is stubbornly staying at 3.3 on Betfair, always gets tantalisingly close to dropping then another few hundred quid come along to support the price.
  • Options
    Itajai said:

Would be fun, even if to see the bien pensants choke on their quinoa. Wonder how many will threaten to emigrate to Scotland if Farage were to become PM.

For Kippers like me, the ones derided because we view LibLabCon as the same, we are about to be vindicated.

The cream of British politics, or to put it better the heads of the Metropolitan elite, are about to descend on Scotland.

God help them, they will surely vote Yes when they see close up the arrogant fools who are currently in charge.
This discussion has been closed.