Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2015 polling should be put on one side so the focus for n

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2014
    A really stupid comment under that Guardian article:

"At least people in Scotland have a choice.
    I live in the north east of England and there is none for us. Nor will there ever be."

There was of course a referendum a few years ago at which a NE assembly was overwhelmingly rejected.
  • Options
    O/T - this is an excellent (short) political book. The best manifesto, I've ever read in fact.

Anyone seeking to understand Carswell (and what makes him tick) should read it: he co-authored with Hannan:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Plan-Twelve-months-Britain/dp/0955979900
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Britain has added more people to its workforce in last four years than the other 27 EU countries combined (net figures). Story coming....

Thanks to many new immigrants who are helping the British economy and paying taxes !
    Indeed. Just imagine where we'd be if we only allowed in immigrants who contribute to the economy. Good for everyone. Except Labour who would be deprived of their captive third world vote bank.
  • Options
    Itajai said:

taffys said:

''Visas for marriage/partnership by country:''

What's your plan? Deny Marriage/Partnership VISAs to certain countries and not others?

That is what it would take, given your figures.

And religions.

The British polity is not there yet. But it might yet get there.
    Okay, here's a question. How do you test someone's religion? Do you get them to sign a form saying (I am muslim, Jewish, Christian etc)? What is to stop them lying? Will you have police checking people who go into mosques, synagogues, churches etc?

It is fairly straightforward if the applicant claims they have got a job: it can be checked.
    It is fairly straightforward if the applicant claims they are married: it can be checked.

But how do you check an applicant for religion?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

O/T - this is an excellent (short) political book. The best manifesto, I've ever read in fact.

Anyone seeking to understand Carswell (and what makes him tick) should read it: he co-authored with Hannan:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Plan-Twelve-months-Britain/dp/0955979900

In his chapter on europe he does not mention immigration. Indeed it is hardly mentioned in the entire book.

It does seem to be where the idea for direct election of PCCs came from...
  • Options
    I saw a graph which showed a remarkable correlation over time between Labour's polling lead and the Yes vote,the bigger the Labour lead,the lower the Yes vote.The graph lines follow each other,confirming that if Salmond has a Tory lead in the polls,he can win the Indy Ref..
    The fact that the Scottish Tory leader admitted,according to polls,a Tory government next year was unlikely is very helpful.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/03/calls-to-postpone-uk-general-election-scots-independence
  • Options
    Introduction - Page 8 (which is the 2nd page of text in the whole book) "Meanwhile, more than 200,000 Britons emigrate every year; more than 300,000 foreigners settle in their place, many of them illicitly. For the state cannot even discharge its elemental function: to secure the national territory."

Page 9: "we propose... withdrawing from the European Union.. and introducing local and national referendums."

"The belief(s) that infuses them: that the state should be the servant of the citizen.." etc.

He cites immigration as an example of where politics (and the state) currently isn't responding to the will of the citizens, and proposes the practical measures necessary to bring about a change so they do.

Immigration levels would then simply be a case of parliament determining a cap, or making some minor changes to the rules. You don't necessarily need new laws or legislation to be passed as an Act. Of course, if citizens were unhappy with that, they could trigger a referednum under "direct democracy"

This idea that Carswell is somehow "soft" on immigration is a myth.

• Options
    twidtwid Posts: 14
    This really shows why we need indyref polling, not GE polling -- if it's a Yes vote on the 18th (as I believe it will be), the GE might not happen for a long time (and it wouldn't take place in Scotland at all), so what's the point then of all the fancy GE polls?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    twid said:

This really shows why we need indyref polling, not GE polling -- if it's a Yes vote on the 18th (as I believe it will be), the GE might not happen for a long time (and it wouldn't take place in Scotland at all), so what's the point then of all the fancy GE polls?
    Why the hell are these 'constitutional ramifications' just being noted now. This event has been known about for years.
  • Options
    twidtwid Posts: 14
    Pulpstar said:

Why the hell are these 'constitutional ramifications' just being noted now. This event has been known about for years.

Because the Westminster bubble convinced itself two years ago that Scotland would definitely vote No, so there was no point in doing any thinking or planning for a Yes vote at all.
This discussion has been closed.