Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP Clacton price the big mover in today’s political betti

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP Clacton price the big mover in today’s political betting market report

Inevitably given the Survation Clacton poll the big mover has been the UKIP by-election price – now rated as an 88% chance.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Deja vu all over again. Concede v v early to top 4 'rival'.... now exposed to counter attack for rest of the game.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    People voting ukip, getting Miliband. You asked for it!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    If Yes win the referendum for Scotland how much will the betting fraternity lose?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Thinking of the numbers on this is staggering.

The "1400" number in Rotherham was considered a "conservative" estimate. It's probably closer to 2000 or 2500. But let's assume Rotherham was one of the worst examples and the average town where this happened had just 700 abuse victims - half the 'conservative' Rotherham level.

The most horrific instances of abuse involved girls being prostituted out to men across a broad area. This could mean a dozen rapes in a night, whether the men came consecutively or gang raped her. If this happened a few times a week, then it's well possible some girls got raped a thousand times in a year. On the low side, girls more marginally on the edge of this might have just been targeted about once a month by a group of guys. That's still likely to be about 50 rapes a year if four or five rapists were involved. 100 rapes per year of an average victim seems conservative.

The youngest girls were targeted at 11 or 12. They seem to have been dropped by these gangs by the time they were 15 or 16. Given that some girls may have escaped after a shorter period of time, let's estimate the average period of abuse was probably about three years.

We are currently aware of this model of abuse definitely happening in Barking, Birmingham, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Ipswich, Keighley, Manchester, Nelson, Oldham, Oxford, Peterborough, Preston, Rochdale, Sheffield, Skipton and Telford in addition to Rotherham itself. I've also heard anecdotal reports on here about Tower Hamlets, Worcester and Luton. But let's keep ourselves grounded and and assume it only took place in the 19 towns mentioned.

700 victims per town x 100 rapes a year x three years' of abuse per victim x 19 towns.

Just under four million rapes. And this in a deliberate effort to scale down the numbers.

FOUR MILLION CHILD RAPES.

Four million rapes neglected or covered up by the establishment for fear of upsetting community sensitivities. And that's before we get to the torture, the psychological warfare and the outright murders.

People like Nick Palmer have said I seem to be too angry to engage with. But isn't four million child rapes the sort of thing that it's justified to get angry about? This must surely be the worst thing that has happened to our country since the Second World War.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    FPT:
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:
    Good to read an arrest has been made - which is more than appears to have happened in the Murphy assault.
    when you stage something you do not want your helper arrested, they have clear pictures but bet it never happens.
    Just to be clear. You are accusing Better Together of staging the Murphy assault?

And the Yes Twitter campaign - or was that just a coincidence?

• Options
    JohnDCJohnDC Posts: 14
    Socrates said:

We are currently aware of this model of abuse definitely happening in Barking, Birmingham, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Ipswich, Keighley, Manchester, Nelson, Oldham, Oxford, Peterborough, Preston, Rochdale, Sheffield, Skipton and Telford in addition to Rotherham itself. I've also heard anecdotal reports on here about Tower Hamlets, Worcester and Luton. But let's keep ourselves grounded and and assume it only took place in the 19 towns mentioned.

Ten men were charged almost a year ago in Coventry, also. Oddly I can find no record of them being either convicted or acquitted: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/ten-charged-coventry-sex-gang-5429952

You can probably add the Dewsbury/Batley conurbation, unless it was just being used as a bolt-hole for gangs from elsewhere: http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/kirklees-hotel-loses-licence-after-4884287

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    perdix said:

Haven't the polls consistently shown that UKIP voters would be as happy with Labour as with the Tories?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005

perdix said:

Haven't the polls consistently shown that UKIP voters would be as happy with Labour as with the Tories?
    The tory supporters on here don't seem to get the fact that people who left the party because of Cameron, don't want Cameron as PM... if they did, they wouldn't have left
  • Options
    The IndyRef move will no doubt be ascribed to "pick your own derogatory epithet" London Unionists....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited August 2014
    Teenage girls raped in the Rotherham child sex abuse scandal gave birth to more than 100 babies.
    Scores more children as young as 13 ­miscarried or were forced to have abortions after attacks by Asian gangs on 1,400 girls.
    One victim, who got ­pregnant TWICE to the same attacker, said: “I was groomed and abused, but the police took no action.”
    The vulnerable youngster had an abortion at just 14 when her abuser threatened to have her killed if she gave birth to his baby.
    Then he made her pregnant again just six months later – and allowed her to keep her child, but only if she became a Muslim.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rotherham-child-sex-scandal-resulted-4137542
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited August 2014
    perdix said:

Scotland voting NO will also make it easier for Ed to win.

Be careful what you wish for!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited August 2014
    @Socrates

"People like Nick Palmer have said I seem to be too angry to engage with."

Well of course you are, you keep raising facts that the establishment don't want raised. They cannot deny the facts so they label the person raising them. This was a well known tactic in the Soviet union in the 70's and 80s. A person of credibility who raised an inconvenient fact that could not be credibly refuted was labelled, anti-social or some other nonsense name. If he/she persisted he/she was deemed insane and put away.

I don't for one moment think that our good Dr. Palmer would go that far but labelling people as too angry to engage with is a nice way of saying, "He is a nutter and therefore you should ignore anything he says". The establishment keep trying this tactic but in the information age it doesn't work any more - see emergence of UKIP as an example - and the establishment don't know how to deal with it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090
    edited August 2014

FPT:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:
    Good to read an arrest has been made - which is more than appears to have happened in the Murphy assault.
    when you stage something you do not want your helper arrested, they have clear pictures but bet it never happens.
    Just to be clear. You are accusing Better Together of staging the Murphy assault?

What I am saying Inspector Plod is that it is just as likely to have been a staged event by NO person as being done by a YES supporter. Given the lucky fact that NO photographers were able to catch him taking the egg out of his pocket and watch him walk behind , walk off etc and that they have very clear pictures, Murphy has milked it but not complained , it is highly likely that there is a reason behind that.
    On your other point , are you saying that twitter should not be used for political comments or for people to arrange to meet to go to political events etc
    Is this you saying that we should not have democracy but one side should have a police state and be able to ban free speech and movement of people and proscribe use of twitter.. very Tory

With all your orders and use of bold , cursing people out I think you like uniforms and discipline
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2014
    FPT / Foxinsoxuk:

52.5% of adults in Clacton are 55 or older. With differential turnout it's possible they could cast around 60-65% of votes.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/clacton/comment-page-8/#comments
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Is it just me, or is the BBC kicking the arse out of the ‘Ashya’ story? – Five days on the trot as their top story is more time than was given over to 180.000 Syrian deaths, Christian genocide by ISIS and the sexual abuse of 1400 girls in Rotherham – what’s the fascination, I don't get it.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

FPT:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Murphy has achieved his goal of creating a major distraction from the real issues from an egging and turning it to his advantage by his claims of "sinister" hecklers.He has concocted his own story to deflect attention and it has been effective in that regard,even if it has opened up accusations of him being a big jessie.

• Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I have been running Wordle on malcolmg's posts... hmm.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Is it just me, or is the BBC kicking the arse out of the ‘Ashya’ story? – Five days on the trot as their top story is more time than was given over to 180.000 Syrian deaths, Christian genocide by ISIS and the sexual abuse of 1400 girls in Rotherham – what’s the fascination, I don't get it.

they defied the NHS
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Rotherham. What finally broke this rotten situation open was the study chaired by an academic. The word "academic" is used often to signify "impractical" and "theoretical". So credit is due here.

Let's extend these studies, and also seek academic advice. These villainous tribal practices must be quenched, with steady application of the law and of education.

I am a lefty.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

What I am saying Inspector Plod is that it is just as likely to have been a staged event by NO person as being done by a YES supporter.
    Oh, so it's gone from "staged" to "just as likely to have been staged"......growing less bold in your baseless assertions?

• Options
    The law wasn't changed to allow a non UK national to become Police Commisioner, was it? William Bratton would be good for us in South Yorkshire.
  • Options
    PAW said:

I have been running Wordle on malcolmg's posts... hmm.

Bit sinister
  • Options
    What would he know?

The Scottish Government's independent defence policy is "dangerous" and would leave Scotland and Nato less capable of dealing with current and future threats, a former Nato commander has said.
    General Sir Richard Shirreff, who has just stepped down as Nato's deputy supreme allied commander Europe, said the SNP's plan is "amateurish" and that Scotland's future in Nato is "uncertain" if it leaves the UK and expels nuclear weapons from the Clyde.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/nato-former-chief-iscotland-defence-plan-is-dangerous.1409480011
  • Options

they defied the NHS
    That's about as close to apostasy as you can get in the UK......
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    UK businesses 'want new EU deal', says lobby group

Most British businesses want the UK to renegotiate its relationship with the EU, according to a British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) survey.

The lobby group said 60% of the 3,200 firms polled believed bringing some powers home would help the UK economy.

However, most wanted to stay in the EU - with a majority saying leaving would damage UK business prospects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29002835

http://www.britishchambers.org.uk/press-office/press-releases/bcc-growing-support-for-re-negotiating-britain’s-relationship-with-the-eu.html

• Options

@Socrates

Well of course you are, you keep raising facts that the establishment don't want raised. They cannot deny the facts so they label the person raising them. This was a well known tactic in the Soviet union in the 70's and 80s. A person of credibility who raised an inconvenient fact that could not be credibly refuted was labelled, anti-social or some other nonsense name. If he/she persisted he/she was deemed insane and put away.

I don't for one moment think that our good Dr. Palmer would go that far but labelling people as too angry to engage with is a nice way of saying, "He is a nutter and therefore you should ignore anything he says". The establishment keep trying this tactic but in the information age it doesn't work any more - see emergence of UKIP as an example - and the establishment don't know how to deal with it.

Isn't that known as playing the man not the ball?
    If you can't rubbish the idea, rubbish the person behind it. h/t Sir Humphrey

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

perdix said:

The tory supporters on here don't seem to get the fact that people who left the party because of Cameron, don't want Cameron as PM... if they did, they wouldn't have left
    From memory, about 26% of the UKIP voters in the Clacton Survation poll thought that Cameron would be the best PM (vs 55% for Farage)
  • Options

UK businesses 'want new EU deal', says lobby group

Most British businesses want the UK to renegotiate its relationship with the EU, according to a British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) survey.

The lobby group said 60% of the 3,200 firms polled believed bringing some powers home would help the UK economy.

However, most wanted to stay in the EU - with a majority saying leaving would damage UK business prospects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29002835

http://www.britishchambers.org.uk/press-office/press-releases/bcc-growing-support-for-re-negotiating-britain’s-relationship-with-the-eu.html

Only 59% say leaving the EU would damage business, so it's more accurate to say they are split on the topic.

I would love to see the poll results for "replacing EU membership with a free trade agreement", which is what would actually happen.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    PAW said:

The law wasn't changed to allow a non UK national to become Police Commisioner, was it? William Bratton would be good for us in South Yorkshire.

It seems clear that the whole culture of the South Yorks Police is corrupt. Changing the head won't change the culture Disband it. Let those below Inspector reapply for the new force each case judged on its merits. Inspectors and above, the ones that drive the culture, can take their redundancy and start again in another career - the good ones will thrive the bad ones, well who cares.
  • Options
    Excellent and thought-provoking article by SeanT in the Telegraph.

On the Indy debate I see what you mean - putting half-hearted Labourites in charge of the BT campaign is not the best way of injecting passion into the No campaign. And what kind of campaign can win without some passion?. Well, hopefully, the BT campaign can. For those south of the border, the rationale was that the Labour working classes are key to the referendum and they will not be moved by appeals to British patriotism hence Darling's exclusive focus on the economics. However this has been frustrating to us who are moved by the importance of 300 years of shared history and achievement. And are angered by the sheer baloney, tendentiousness and nihilism of the Yes campaign.

On Clacton. Only chance for the Tories to get an even half-decent result is to go for an open primary and select a striking, preferably local, candidate on the Sarah Wollaston model. If the campaign then becomes a contest between two authentic personalities then Douglas Carswell may come under a bit more pressure. The maverick will always beat the party in a by-election (cf Galloway in Bradford).

• Options
    Comments switched off on SeanT's latest blogpost.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

What I am saying Inspector Plod is that it is just as likely to have been a staged event by NO person as being done by a YES supporter.
    Oh, so it's gone from "staged" to "just as likely to have been staged"......growing less bold in your baseless assertions?

No you were the one who said it was staged and organised by official YES campaign , as usual you are full of wind and piss.
    As previously requested go and stalk someone else with your fantasies.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

they defied the NHS
    Righty-ho. - Still strikes me as grossly excessive and a twisted sense of priorities.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Toms said:

Rotherham. What finally broke this rotten situation open was the study chaired by an academic. The word "academic" is used often to signify "impractical" and "theoretical". So credit is due here.

Let's extend these studies, and also seek academic advice. These villainous tribal practices must be quenched, with steady application of the law and of education.

I am a lefty.

FGM was made illegal in 1985. There hasn't been a single conviction so far. Why do you think that might be?
  • Options

What would he know?

The Scottish Government's independent defence policy is "dangerous" and would leave Scotland and Nato less capable of dealing with current and future threats, a former Nato commander has said.
    General Sir Richard Shirreff, who has just stepped down as Nato's deputy supreme allied commander Europe, said the SNP's plan is "amateurish" and that Scotland's future in Nato is "uncertain" if it leaves the UK and expels nuclear weapons from the Clyde.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/nato-former-chief-iscotland-defence-plan-is-dangerous.1409480011

Another unionist duffer spouting crap.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @SeanT - excellent blog

@Alanbrooke FPT

Well most of the shares in Cadbury would have been institutional investors. So the capital released by the sale would have reinvested in opportunities that they felt offered greater value. Whether they were right or wrong, who knows.

However, we mustn't forget that the Kraft CEO (I forget her name) lied. It is shameful that she wasn't held to account by the panel, and shameful that she refused to appear before a parliamentary committee.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Toms said:

I am a lefty.

FGM was made illegal in 1985. There hasn't been a single conviction so far. Why do you think that might be?
    It angers me greatly, but I'm not interested in points scoring.
  • Options

On the Indy debate I see what you mean - putting half-hearted Labourites in charge of the BT campaign is not the best way of injecting passion into the No campaign. And what kind of campaign can win without some passion?. Well, hopefully, the BT campaign can. For those south of the border, the rationale was that the Labour working classes are key to the referendum and they will not be moved by appeals to British patriotism hence Darling's exclusive focus on the economics. However this has been frustrating to us who are moved by the importance of 300 years of shared history and achievement. And are angered by the sheer baloney, tendentiousness and nihilism of the Yes campaign.

The other problem SLAB face is that for years they went on about the iniquities of "Tory rule from London".

They are not best placed to rebut the same argument from the SNP now.......
  • Options

On Clacton. Only chance for the Tories to get an even half-decent result is to go for an open primary and select a striking, preferably local, candidate on the Sarah Wollaston model. If the campaign then becomes a contest between two authentic personalities then Douglas Carswell may come under a bit more pressure. The maverick will always beat the party in a by-election (cf Galloway in Bradford).

Ha Ha Ha , so moved by the importance of 300 years history you appoint those serial losers Darling and Alexander to fight for you.
  • Options
    YES shop burnt down in arson attack, silence from BT
    https://twitter.com/WingsScotland
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    Toms said:

I am a lefty.

Not sure if I'm a lefty or not, but I agree with the main thrust of that argument, except I would narrow it down: women's education is vital. Women generally still (sadly or gladly, depending on your viewpoint) spend most of the time with children as they grow up, and instil many values into them. A poorly-educated woman will miss out on many things, and the values instilled may be more defined by her husband than her own will.

Having women who are not allowed to learn English (as happened with the mother of a Bangladeshi uni friend of mine), or are not allowed to progress education (which is allegedly occurring) inflames the situation.

Educate women and girls to the same standard as men and boys, and you will start seeing a difference within a generation.

(Does this make me a feminist?)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

What would he know?

Another unionist duffer spouting crap.
    Nato's deputy supreme allied commander Europe

Remind us of your expertise and experience in matters military?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

No you were the one who said it was staged and organised by official YES campaign , as usual you are full of wind and piss.
    As previously requested go and stalk someone else with your fantasies.
    Nope it was carried out by a Yes supporter bitter and twisted who realises that their dream of an Independent Scotland is about to sink without trace in a few weeks time . They are lashing out at reality . Someone much like yourself , in fact .
  • Options

Toms said:

I am a lefty.

Not sure if I'm a lefty or not, but I agree with the main thrust of that argument, except I would narrow it down: women's education is vital. Women generally still (sadly or gladly, depending on your viewpoint) spend most of the time with children as they grow up, and instil many values into them. A poorly-educated woman will miss out on many things, and the values instilled may be more defined by her husband than her own will.

Having women who are not allowed to learn English (as happened with the mother of a Bangladeshi uni friend of mine), or are not allowed to progress education (which is allegedly occurring) inflames the situation.

Educate women and girls to the same standard as men and boys, and you will start seeing a difference within a generation.

It makes you sensible.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Ha Ha Ha , so moved by the importance of 300 years history you appoint those serial losers Darling and Alexander to fight for you.
    You have a point, to be fair. A tragedy of Scottish Labour is that no fewer than three of their leaders who could have taken Salmond apart died prematurely - Donald Dewar, John Smith and Robin Cook. It would have been a delight to see the latter, in particular, take a bodkin to the bladder.
  • Options
    JohnDCJohnDC Posts: 14

@Socrates

It's the absence of anger (as opposed to the presence of justified outrage) which surprises me.

We're less than a decade from an election in which a million people voted for the BNP. Not long on from when there was such hysteria about paedophiles that people were beating up paediatricians because it sounds the same. A widespread but facile understanding of something happening thousands of miles away means English Jews don't feel safe going about their daily business.

Yet Rotherham, lots of headlines, lots of angst, and then... what? No poll boost for UKIP or the Tories (maybe if the offenders were Romanian?). No vigilante attacks by the EDL against the very easily located men street grooming and catcalling young women. No resurgence of the BNP who made grooming gangs their single priority issue for much of the last decade.

I'm not saying I want those things, but their total absence surprises me.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Charles said:

isam said:

perdix said:

From memory, about 26% of the UKIP voters in the Clacton Survation poll thought that Cameron would be the best PM (vs 55% for Farage)
    Oh god ok sorry.. MOST people who left the party because of Cameron

(although some who left may not have done so because of Cameron but I cant be going down pin head dancing nonsense)

The fact is that UKIP voters don't care whether Cameron or Miliband is PM. Theyre both a million miles away from what we want.

Carswell worked with Cameron and talked about the EU referendum with him and his conclusion was to leave because he was insincere about his intentions.. that's what UKIP voters seem to think too
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    malcolmg said:

YES shop burnt down in arson attack, silence from BT
    https://twitter.com/WingsScotland

Disgraceful! And I won't stoop to suggesting that it was staged, as some if our more excitable posters do on assaults on No.....

But just a clarification - you claim "burnt down" - twitter says "subject to arson attack" and shows a fire in the street outside steel shutters.

Got a source for "burnt down"?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The fact is that UKIP voters don't care whether Cameron or Miliband is PM. Theyre both a million miles away from what we want.''

In some ways it will be easier to fight Miliband because he isn't pretending to agree with conservative voters whilst wanting something else behind their back.

He's an honest leftist rather than a mendacious one.
  • Options

Toms said:

I am a lefty.

In a perfect world Id say you were right.. but its utter madness to think that the parts of England that are dominated by Muslims are even considering letting what you suggest happen.

What so many people seem to say is mass immigration is great as long as they all play by our set of rules, but as we have seen in the middle east, and are seeing in East London, Rotherham and Birmingham, the rules are different, and imposing ours on them doesn't work.

Sorry for the "us and them" tone, and I don't see it as a problem for all muslims, only in the areas where they are the majority.. so im not talking about your wife.. mixed marriages are probably the antidote for the problem

To be fair if I was in a community of vaguely Christian English people abroad I am sure Id stick with my own and we would have our own rules/schools etc separate from the rest of society.. its human nature, its why mass immigration doesn't work

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
  • Options
    For something completely different I mention that stage nine of the Vuelta is reaching a humongous mountain finish.

http://www.lavuelta.com/14/en/online/index.html?e=9
  • Options
    taffys said:

''The fact is that UKIP voters don't care whether Cameron or Miliband is PM. Theyre both a million miles away from what we want.''

In some ways it will be easier to fight Miliband because he isn't pretending to agree with conservative voters whilst wanting something else behind their back.

Well that's exactly what Carswell said on Thursday...at least Miliband is honest about what he wants from the EU.. Cameron has the same views in private but pretends in public to be Eurosceptic to win votes.. and people that have always voted Tory want to believe him.. I can understand why hey stick up for him

I believed Blair because I so wanted him to be what I thought he was.. but he was a lying rat.. now I don't vote Labour anymore
  • Options
    In 20 days' time David Cameron may resign as prime minister of the United Kingdom. Difficult to believe that's really true, but it is.
  • Options
    JohnDC said:

@Socrates

It's the absence of anger (as opposed to the presence of justified outrage) which surprises me.

We're less than a decade from an election in which a million people voted for the BNP. Not long on from when there was such hysteria about paedophiles that people were beating up paediatricians because it sounds the same. A widespread but facile understanding of something happening thousands of miles away means English Jews don't feel safe going about their daily business.

Yet Rotherham, lots of headlines, lots of angst, and then... what? No poll boost for UKIP or the Tories (maybe if the offenders were Romanian?). No vigilante attacks by the EDL against the very easily located men street grooming and catcalling young women. No resurgence of the BNP who made grooming gangs their single priority issue for much of the last decade.

The reason for that is, in contrast to the views of Labour figures like Jack Straw, the British population is one of the most decent and tolerant peoples in the world. The importation of people from more angry and violent societies, and the growth of a lumpenproletariat from a badly managed welfare state is changing that, mind.
  • Options

The other problem SLAB face is that for years they went on about the iniquities of "Tory rule from London".
    SLAB and the SLD helped fuel the rise in Scottish nationalism. As you sow so shall you reap.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT
    Socrates said:

Thinking of the numbers on this is staggering.

The "1400" number in Rotherham was considered a "conservative" estimate. It's probably closer to 2000 or 2500. But let's assume Rotherham was one of the worst examples and the average town where this happened had just 700 abuse victims - half the 'conservative' Rotherham level.

The most horrific instances of abuse involved girls being prostituted out to men across a broad area. This could mean a dozen rapes in a night, whether the men came consecutively or gang raped her. If this happened a few times a week, then it's well possible some girls got raped a thousand times in a year. On the low side, girls more marginally on the edge of this might have just been targeted about once a month by a group of guys. That's still likely to be about 50 rapes a year if four or five rapists were involved. 100 rapes per year of an average victim seems conservative.

The youngest girls were targeted at 11 or 12. They seem to have been dropped by these gangs by the time they were 15 or 16. Given that some girls may have escaped after a shorter period of time, let's estimate the average period of abuse was probably about three years.

700 victims per town x 100 rapes a year x three years' of abuse per victim x 19 towns.

Just under four million rapes. And this in a deliberate effort to scale down the numbers.

FOUR MILLION CHILD RAPES.

Four million rapes neglected or covered up by the establishment for fear of upsetting community sensitivities. And that's before we get to the torture, the psychological warfare and the outright murders.

People like Nick Palmer have said I seem to be too angry to engage with. But isn't four million child rapes the sort of thing that it's justified to get angry about? This must surely be the worst thing that has happened to our country since the Second World War.

That's getting to the scale of it - and all the while the political class talking about low crime - such a sick joke.

just to add

"but let's assume Rotherham was one of the worst examples"

I think all the old textile towns around Lancashire, Yorkshire etc are about the same level as Rotherham (proportional to size) because they share all the same factors but apart from them yes, the other places mentioned maybe 10-50% Rotherham numbers.

• Options
    @MikeSmithson

There is a poll in The Sun on Sunday (p2) taken by the Conservatives in the days before Carswells defection.. haven't seen this before

How would you vote with or without Carswell as a Tory?

With Carswell standing as a Tory
    43% Tory
    30% UKIP
    16% Labour

Without Carswell standing as a Tory
    29% Tory
    30% UKIP
    21% Labour

(Obviously the UKIP score wihout Carswell as a Tory isn't with Carswell as a Kipper!)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    isam said:

In a perfect world Id say you were right.. but its utter madness to think that the parts of England that are dominated by Muslims are even considering letting what you suggest happen.

What so many people seem to say is mass immigration is great as long as they all play by our set of rules, but as we have seen in the middle east, and are seeing in East London, Rotherham and Birmingham, the rules are different, and imposing ours on them doesn't work.

Sorry for the "us and them" tone, and I don't see it as a problem for all muslims, only in the areas where they are the majority.. so im not talking about your wife.. mixed marriages are probably the antidote for the problem

To be fair if I was in a community of vaguely Christian English people abroad I am sure Id stick with my own and we would have our own rules/schools etc separate from the rest of society.. its human nature, its why mass immigration doesn't work

If I can pick up on, and extend, one of your points:
    "mixed marriages are probably the antidote for the problem"

Anecdote alert: one of my best friends from school ended up going to the same uni as me (indeed, he was on the floor below me in the halls of residence in the first year). His father was Pakistani, and his mother English. So it was very much a loving, mixed-race marriage. His father became a JP and was well known and respected in their local community.

Sadly, my friend's sister went out with an Englishman, and was disowned by most of the family (excepting my friend). Her father could marry an Englishwoman, but his daughter could only marry a Pakistani. She ended up running away with her partner - I have no idea what happened afterwards, but my friend was devastated at the 'loss' of a sister who could no longer contact him.

To make matters worse, my friend went out with a sweet English girl. His father said to him, in her presence: "It's okay to sow your seed, but you're not marrying her." I have that particular story from both sides.

So it's not just a case of mixed marriages; it's mixed cultures, and acceptance of the other culture. But then I would say that, being married to a Turkish atheist feminist. ;-)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

In 20 days' time David Cameron may resign as prime minister of the United Kingdom. Difficult to believe that's really true, but it is.

good.
  • Options

Its certainly a conundrum. I wish I could give you an answer. Here are a couple of theories.

1. The enormity of the crime is such that there's an air of unreality about it. We could be talking about a Rwanda-sized event here. In our own back yard. People don't know how to react.
    2. People are unsure of who the real culprits are - the muslims or the authorities who tolerated their crimes.
    3. The doctrine of political correctness is so ingrained into the culture and laws of Britain, so much a default part of its fabric, that retaliation of any kind, even a peaceful kind like a march through Rotherham, seems inconceivable.
  • Options
    Charles said:

@SeanT - excellent blog

@Alanbrooke FPT

Well most of the shares in Cadbury would have been institutional investors. So the capital released by the sale would have reinvested in opportunities that they felt offered greater value. Whether they were right or wrong, who knows.

However, we mustn't forget that the Kraft CEO (I forget her name) lied. It is shameful that she wasn't held to account by the panel, and shameful that she refused to appear before a parliamentary committee.

Yeah, you still haven't explained why this takeover was in the national interest.

Start with most acquisitions fail to meet their objectives, then that the tax policies of Kraft moved the base overseas so now the rest of the UK has to make up the difference, then that the taxpayer subsidised the takeover via RBS, followed by the loss of jobs in the UK, I could go on.

In simple terms Charles this is just one of those issues where the national inetrest isn't aligned with investors. I often wonder if harder takeover rules would improve the standard of corporate governance. The objective of the average UK CEO seems to be to sell his business asap, if they were judged by organic growth more then things might improve. Likewise since by investors you mean fund managers rather then the people who actually own the money what if we stop them getting fast bucks just to line their own pockets ?
  • Options

isam said:

If I can pick up on, and extend, one of your points:
    "mixed marriages are probably the antidote for the problem"

Anecdote alert: one of my best friends from school ended up going to the same uni as me (indeed, he was on the floor below me in the halls of residence in the first year). His father was Pakistani, and his mother English. So it was very much a loving, mixed-race marriage. His father became a JP and was well known and respected in their local community.

Sadly, my friend's sister went out with an Englishman, and was disowned by most of the family (excepting my friend). Her father could marry an Englishwoman, but his daughter could only marry a Pakistani. She ended up running away with her partner - I have no idea what happened afterwards, but my friend was devastated at the 'loss' of a sister who could no longer contact him.

To make matters worse, my friend went out with a sweet English girl. His father said to him, in her presence: "It's okay to sow your seed, but you're not marrying her." I have that particular story from both sides.

So it's not just a case of mixed marriages; it's mixed cultures, and acceptance of the other culture. But then I would say that, being married to a Turkish atheist feminist. ;-)
    I believe the vast majority of Muslims in this country believe it is unacceptable for a Muslim women to marry a non-Muslim man. This is rank intolerance and should be publicly condemned by our leaders. But our leaders are all running scared of the conservative Muslim community.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

SLAB and the SLD helped fuel the rise in Scottish nationalism. As you sow so shall you reap.
    I agree. I very much hope for a NO vote, we are indeed better together. But if Scotland vote YES (which I do not expect) then Labour and the LDs have themselves to blame. And of course the Scots will have themselves to blame for YES vote and given the nature of their campaign (as typified by Malcolmg) the English cannot expect much co-operation from them and are likely to be treated back in kind. All very sad if the vote is YES.

• Options

they defied the NHS
    Amongst the 200+ other countries in the world, how many have adopted our NHS model?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes, quite extraordinary when you think of it. Few folk seem to register that the outcome of a Yes vote would be political tumult both north and south of the border. Chickens coming home to roost both sides of the border. ("Whaddya mean we can't have a currency union? It's the sovereign will of the Scottish people.")
  • Options
    isam said:

taffys said:

Well that's exactly what Carswell said on Thursday...at least Miliband is honest about what he wants from the EU.. Cameron has the same views in private but pretends in public to be Eurosceptic to win votes.. and people that have always voted Tory want to believe him.. I can understand why hey stick up for him

I believed Blair because I so wanted him to be what I thought he was.. but he was a lying rat.. now I don't vote Labour anymore
    isam said:

taffys said:

A pretty stupid remark - as was taffys.
    Cameron is a fairly straightforward typical leader and has laid out his position on the EU quite clearly and to me it makes sense. There is no reason to suggest he is being dissembling.
    You are happy to accept that Carswell is speaking the truth but in reality there is little logic to what he says and from now on all; he says will be twisted to suit his own self interest and self justification.

Its perfectly reasonable to accept reform in the EU as a fair position. The dissembling position is to pretend that there will be some great difference if we leave.
  • Options
    JohnDC said:

@Socrates

Despite what the media said (all through the 14 years they were covering up the industrial scale gang-rape being inflicted on people in the inner cities) most of those people just wanted what was being done to them not to be covered up and for the police to do something about it.

Now it's been forced past the wall of silence I expect they're probably expecting something will be done about it - wrongly in my view but i'm pretty cynical now.

If nothing gets done about it even after it's been forced on the BBC then i don't know what will happen.

• Options
    On integration, the other thing I sometimes hear from establishment types behind closed doors is that my assessment is of the backwards views held by many Muslims is "correct", but is "not helpful". They think the issue of integration is a highly difficult one, but given how sensitive many Muslims (and other groups to a lesser degree) are about criticism, the best approach to integration is to just not upset them and let it happen naturally, even if it takes decades or even generations.

Now, if you happen to believe this - that integration is a highly difficult and sensitive matter that will take a long time - then surely you should at least agree that we shouldn't add more unintegrated people into the mix. But when you propose limiting immigration of the poor and unskilled, the same types oppose this too. There's no cohesive thinking at all.
  • Options

isam said:

taffys said:

isam said:

taffys said:

A pretty stupid remark - as was taffys.
    Cameron is a fairly straightforward typical leader and has laid out his position on the EU quite clearly and to me it makes sense. There is no reason to suggest he is being dissembling.
    You are happy to accept that Carswell is speaking the truth but in reality there is little logic to what he says and from now on all; he says will be twisted to suit his own self interest and self justification.

Its perfectly reasonable to accept reform in the EU as a fair position. The dissembling position is to pretend that there will be some great difference if we leave.
    Why would a Eurosceptic MP with a leader promising a referendum leave that party if he thought they were serious about change?

Carswell let the cat out of the bag on Thursday... Cameron is pretending he will campaign for reform in order to win votes when he has no intention of doing anything
  • Options
    "Its perfectly reasonable to accept reform in the EU as a fair position."

Only if you believe in hope over experience. Every British attempt ever to reform the EU for decades has floundered. From Wilson to Blair to Cameron. You have to be naive beyond belief to think anything substantial will happen to it.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

If nothing gets done about it even after it's been forced on the BBC then i don't know what will happen.

If there is no major round of convictions after what is almost certainly millions of child rapes, then it would strongly test my patience in representative democracy. I hate to think what it would mean for people less grounded in liberalism than I am.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Trouble in Broxtowe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-29004970

Perhaps Dr P needs to have a word.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If he did he'd be going against public opinion, according to a poll in today's Express. I suspect he'll see his duty as to get Indy negotiations underway well ahead of the GE - and to set out the Westminster timetable, not one dreamt up by 8% of the UK....
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Trouble in Broxtowe.

Faux outrage specialist Soubry quick to react I see.. hateful woman
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    dr_spyn said:

Trouble in Broxtowe.

German is a race? Who knew.
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2738773/Police-plan-mass-raids-sex-gangs-Day-reckoning-hundreds-child-abusers-180-mainly-Asian-men-targeted-Manchester-alone.html

it looks like the authorities are planning a big counterpunch.

Goodness knows what the cost will be in terms of police time, court time, prison time....it just goes on. and on. and on. That's after the untold human suffering.

It's just a giant catastrophe. There are almost no words.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

If he did he'd be going against public opinion, according to a poll in today's Express. I suspect he'll see his duty as to get Indy negotiations underway well ahead of the GE - and to set out the Westminster timetable, not one dreamt up by 8% of the UK....
    People upset by Cameron going , really ?

I can't see that many people being upset a few raised eyebrows perhaps, but Ian leaving Great British Bake Off has a bigger impact on the nation.
  • Options
    taffys said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2738773/Police-plan-mass-raids-sex-gangs-Day-reckoning-hundreds-child-abusers-180-mainly-Asian-men-targeted-Manchester-alone.html

Goodness knows what the cost will be in terms of police time, court time, prison time....it just goes on. and on. and on. That's after the untold human suffering.

We can believe it when we see the convictions.
  • Options

From their (mental) point of view they're advertising a good use of the European Arrest Warrant.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    taffys said:
    Perhaps this is one reason for our political leaders saying nothing.
  • Options
    I think Cameron will survive. He will come out quickly, making a statesmanlike speech that mixes notes of regret with an unimpeachable line that the "yes" vote justifies the referendum; to argue to the contrary is fundamentally undemocratic. Plus the other main parties supported the referendum and Ukip wants one on Europe, so none are really in a position to make capital, though no doubt they will try.The risks for Cameron come from his disillusioned backbenchers and the media. If the loss of the union triggers a mass defection his position will become untenable; he would have to resign and the government could fall. The result would be a massacre at the next election. The Tory right has always had a masochistic streak, but turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

The media could use this as an opportunity to strike back, post Leveson. Certainly the Murdoch papers will be brutal; and the fourth estate never waste an opportunity to exercise their democratic accountability function. But I don't think they have the desire or ability to defenestrate Cameron, nor do I think the man on the street will view this as.Cameron's failure alone.

I still expect a no vote, by the way. But it will be close.

Presumably those saying Cameron should resign in the event if a yes vote are also planning a ticker tape parade for him if it is a no vote? I am still recovering from the party we threw Jeremy Hunt for the excellent Olympics that he organised...
  • Options
    Socrates said:

MrJones said:

If there is no major round of convictions after what is almost certainly millions of child rapes, then it would strongly test my patience in representative democracy. I hate to think what it would mean for people less grounded in liberalism than I am.
    It's actually really hard to say. It might make people even more suicidal and self-destructive than they are already or it might make them go to war. No way of knowing.

• Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

dr_spyn said:

Trouble in Broxtowe.

The hundreds of thousands of Slavs that were killed because they weren't sufficiently German?
  • Options
    Faux outrage specialist Soubry quick to react I see.. hateful woman

Sums up our political leaders. Silent on mass Pakistani muslim rape of women, but woe betide you if you use the name Eva Braun.

Utterly depressing.
  • Options
    I had thought to send a few K for Soubry's election fund, but she seems no better than Palmer.
  • Options
    If Arsenal can't do better than they are doing, maybe they should change their uniform from Red to Purple to give them that fighting spirit.
  • Options
    taffys said:

What's needed is that these men go away for a long, long time. When they're back out on the streets in three and a half years laughing about how free they are it's just appalling.

Another aspect of child abuse that needs to be dealt with is one that was told to me recently. A friend told me how a neighbour was appallingly abused by another man that lived on the street. There was a criminal case and the abuser had to go away for several years. But when he got out he moved back into the same house, directly opposite from the victim. The victim's family eventually had to sell up and move away after how harrowing it was.

This seems like something that should be automatically ended: if you abused a child, you should not be allowed to move within a half mile of them once you get out.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

taffys said:

isam said:

taffys said:

Why would a Eurosceptic MP with a leader promising a referendum leave that party if he thought they were serious about change?

Carswell let the cat out of the bag on Thursday... Cameron is pretending he will campaign for reform in order to win votes when he has no intention of doing anything
    isam said:

isam said:

taffys said:

isam said:

taffys said:

Why indeed - and why would he then actively proceed to enable a Europhile labour leader into power?
    Just because Carswell does something stupid for whatever reason takes his mind does not mean that the excuses he gives are valid.
    Carswell is making it up as he goes along. Cameron's statements are quite clear - a lot clearer than Carswells confused philosophy and there will be a referendum.
    All of a sudden the Eurosceptics are doing all they can to make sure a referendum never happens.
    Why?

One thing is certain the EU will not go away and neither Carswsell nor Farage have any clear notion of how we would live outside it. I point out to you yet again that in reality it will be very little different and for this possibility of a minor change they want to deliver a labour govt.

In reality thee extreme right have tasted blood and want to destroy the tory party. All this would do if successful would deliver a whole series of Labour or LabLib governments
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Swiss_Bob said:

dr_spyn said:

Trouble in Broxtowe.

I think we know what is meant. The important thing is the mental process in using a derogatory description based on a person's ethnic heritage, apparently without reference to the individual's personality or actions. That process is one of racism, even if the 'race' in question is actually a nationality.
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    Socrates said:

Swiss_Bob said:

dr_spyn said:

Trouble in Broxtowe.

The hundreds of thousands of Slavs that were killed because they weren't sufficiently German?
    I guess my point is that I regularly hear that English isn't a race but the BBC article seems to go big on 'German race'.

Are the Austrians 'German' or Austrian?
  • Options
    PAW said:

I had thought to send a few K for Soubry's election fund, but she seems no better than Palmer.

Ahah! You've found out that they're all the same as well. Time to join UKIP.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
  • Options
    @Flightpath

I can understand, albeit disagree with, the argument that voting UKIP in most seats in a FPTP system that you are helping to let in Ed Miliband. But how does this make any sense when referring to Carswell's defection? How does Carswell sitting with UKIP rather than the Tories make it more likely than Ed Miliband becomes PM?

Tories are parroting a view that doesn't make logical sense.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

taffys said:

isam said:

taffys said:

isam said:

isam said:

taffys said:

isam said:

taffys said:

Why indeed - and why would he then actively proceed to enable a Europhile labour leader into power?
    Just because Carswell does something stupid for whatever reason takes his mind does not mean that the excuses he gives are valid.
    Carswell is making it up as he goes along. Cameron's statements are quite clear - a lot clearer than Carswells confused philosophy and there will be a referendum.
    All of a sudden the Eurosceptics are doing all they can to make sure a referendum never happens.
    Why?

One thing is certain the EU will not go away and neither Carswsell nor Farage have any clear notion of how we would live outside it. I point out to you yet again that in reality it will be very little different and for this possibility of a minor change they want to deliver a labour govt.

In reality thee extreme right have tasted blood and want to destroy the tory party. All this would do if successful would deliver a whole series of Labour or LabLib governments
    Oh I see

A politician who has worked closely with Cameron behind closed doors thinks he is insincere and saying things in public he doesnt mean in private to con votes, but you know better from the soundbites you hear
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Swiss_Bob said:

Socrates said:

Swiss_Bob said:

dr_spyn said:

Trouble in Broxtowe.

I guess my point is that I regularly hear that English isn't a race but the BBC article seems to go big on 'German race'.

Are the Austrians 'German' or Austrian?
    I understand where you're coming from. The logic of race and ethnicity is full of holes.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

PAW said:

Ahah! You've found out that they're all the same as well. Time to join UKIP.
    I haven't exactly noticed UKIP storming the barricades on the Rotherham story, they're as silent as Cameron.

Farage has spent his time parading Carswell like his latest trophy, and Nuttall is nowhere to be seen.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

People upset by Cameron going , really ?

I can't see that many people being upset a few raised eyebrows perhaps, but Ian leaving Great British Bake Off has a bigger impact on the nation.
    There was positive news for David Cameron. While some senior Tory sources confided that the Prime Minister would “inevitably feel he would have to step down” if he “lost Scotland”, members of the public indicated they would be much more forgiving. Only 26 per cent would want Mr Cameron’s scalp, compared with 45 per cent who felt he would be entitled to carry on leading the country. The rest, 29 per cent, were undecided.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/505295/Alex-Salmond-s-currency-union-plans-prove-unpopular

Pretty consistent with other polling.

Voters don't seem to see giving Scotland a democratic vote a "failure".
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

isam said:

isam said:

taffys said:

isam said:

taffys said:

isam said:

isam said:

taffys said:

isam said:

taffys said:

Why?

One must only wonder how the rest of the world manages to live outside it then.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:
    that's humour ? Oh well...
This discussion has been closed.