Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New IndyRef poll for Scottish Daily Mail from Survation has

Comments

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited August 2014

Another day of deafening silence from spineless Ed Miliband, on the sexual abuse of 1200 in Rotherham.

Do votes matter more than children?

A number of commentators here have suggested that this is too important an issue for a partisan approach. I look forward to your explanation as to why we are wrong and you are right.

That's never been a problem for him before; Miliband's normally first off the blocks when it comes to a statement or call for an inquiry.

And this has been going on the constituency, slap bang next door to his own. Doesn't get much closer to home. As a local MP is he not concerned? I'd be wondering if the problem had strayed over the boundary.

• Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    Gadfly said:

I don't believe that Panama prints its own dollars.

They print balboas, pegged to the USD at par, and also use USDs neat. Agreed about unworkability of current backing arrangments if Scotland goes independent. They could print something that might convince some people for some time, though.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Socrates

Surprised the Metro missed out on the deafening silence on Rotherham from Seema Mahotra,Labour's new Shadow Minister for violence against women and girls.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,099
    Socrates said:

isam said:

I've just had a very small wager with Ladbrokes at 4/1 on the Tories holding Clacton. I just feel they have a better than 20% chance which is what these odds imply.

Maybe you're right..

I had the feeling ukip would do very well in clacton if it wasn't for the Tory mp being Carswell

Ukip won the euros there by almost 10,000, getting 48% of the vote... Would have thought those who were previously Tories on holiday would be more inclined to vote ukip again now their MP has joined
    I think UKIP are hugely overvalued right now. I'd have to put it as 50-50 between UKIP and the Tories. There are a huge number of voters in every constituency that pay no attention to the name on the ballot.
    Big value in the betting for you in that case!!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited August 2014
    For something that's DEFINITELY not going to happen, PB Unionists seem awfie exercised.

http://tinyurl.com/q9bf553
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Another day of deafening silence from spineless Ed Miliband, on the sexual abuse of 1200 in Rotherham.

A number of commentators here have suggested that this is too important an issue for a partisan approach. I look forward to your explanation as to why we are wrong and you are right.

That's never been a problem for him before; Miliband's normally first off the blocks when it comes to a statement or call for an inquiry.

And this has been going on the constituency, slap bang next door to his own. Doesn't get much closer to home.

Unless Doncaster is revealed to have a 'problem'
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    You can only marvel at the complete lack of discipline which charatcerises the Conservatives.

Compare Carswell's self-indulgence with the steely holding of positions within Labour. All the fire and opprobrium brought upon Ed and Labour by the increasingly out-of-touch rightwing press, yet it is the Tories who split asunder!

It's too funny.
  • Options
    Scottish oil production will fall. Fact. How fast it falls is dependent on many factors - technical and commercial / economic. One key factor is tax. Continued development of the more marginal fields must be adequately NPV positive. Whatever happens the ability of the N.Sea to generate tax revenue for its host government is going to reduce more sharply than the actual production of barrels of oil.

I fear the SNP see the reserves and think 'there's alot of tax for us'. It's not.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Socrates said:

Surely a non-partisan approach would mean a thorough condemnation from all party leaders and a pledge to work together to address all the issues?

Instead Miliband is silent on this. It's disgusting and he should be ashamed of himself.
    Choosing to delegate is a sign of strength of leadership.It's easier when he has trusted able deputies like Yvette Cooper.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/95836716929/rotherham-abuse-inquiry-response-from-yvette-cooper
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    john_zims said:

@Socrates

Surprised the Metro missed out on the deafening silence on Rotherham from Seema Mahotra,Labour's new Shadow Minister for violence against women and girls.

I don’t blame Labour leaders carefully considering their response!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,230
    John_N said:

Scott_P said:

An employee of RBS told me she thought the Scottish Banks would carry on printing Sterling notes because they recently showcased their new plastic designs. She seemed genuinely surprised when I suggested voters down South would demand of their politicians that their license to do so be revoked.

For all the discussion on currency, a lot of people in Scotland think there is already 'Scottish money' because of what the banknotes have printed on them.

Scottish nationalism for many people is xenophobic against the English, with "Tories" and "Westminster" functioning as euphemisms. It's about having a big chip on the shoulder. The 'logic' goes as follows: London is the capital of Britain, therefore Scotland is 'ruled' not just from England but by England.

Did you tell her that RBS and Lloyds will rush their registration to the rUK (if it's OK with the EU in the case of Lloyds!) in the event of Scottish independence? So hoiking the licence wouldn't be a matter of England telling Scotland what to do.

An iScotland government or banks active in Scotland could of course print some kind of paper backed by the GBPs that are already held in Scotland. But that's a point for the better informed among us. Ditto with the points that monetary union without fiscal union means there'd be no Scottish control over the Scottish economy, and a Scottish currency would be unlikely to work given that Salmond has threatened to renege on debts. From the YES supporters' point of view, those points can only be made by people who've been duped by scaremongerers into 'doing Scotland down'. Our 'belief' isn't strong enough.

Against stupidity, even the gods battle in vain.

Survation was at 53%-47% before the first debate, suggesting we might be at 57%-43%, but then there is a secondary effect, surely, from the reporting of the second debate and from this poll. NO might get less than 57%.

The NO campaign should push the £85000 question hard. "Let's keep our bank accounts protected".
    NO voter posts from hiding in his wardrobe. Get a spine you snivelling cur , if you are so smart and know everything get out of the cupboard and man up. Rather than being a snivelling cur , smirking from hiding. Far better to be passionate and in the open than to be smirking from the wardrobe as I searched for a backbone.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Socrates said:

Surely a non-partisan approach would mean a thorough condemnation from all party leaders and a pledge to work together to address all the issues?

Instead Miliband is silent on this. It's disgusting and he should be ashamed of himself.
    Choosing to delegate is a sign of strength of leadership.It's easier when he has trusted able deputies like Yvette Cooper.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/95836716929/rotherham-abuse-inquiry-response-from-yvette-cooper
    Is that why he was so vocal about electricity prices, when he has Caroline Flint as Shadow Secretary of State for Energy? And Syria, when Vernon Coaker is the Shadow Secretary of State for Defence?
  • Options

What do they know in England?

Academic study: bigger firms could leave iScotland if currency deal fails

MAJOR Scottish companies will quit the country if post-Yes talks even start to suggest a currency union will not materialise, according to an independent survey.

Several "larger PLCs" would move their headquarters south of the Border as soon as they felt the "direction of travel" in separation negotiations would hurt the pound or put up barriers to trading, the Edinburgh University study found.

Oops! Edinburgh......

Well of course they would.

YES has one massive weakness. It has not demonstrated there is a wall of inward investment, with its pool of jobs, just waiting to head for Scotland once it gets independence. Admittedly, for a very good reason - there is nobody coming forward to say it is what they want.

The flip side is that a sizeable number of jobs - quality jobs, well-paid jobs, high tax-generating jobs - would be at risk of moving south (or east or west). As would those who currently have wealth. Companies and individuals are not going to hang around and suffer higher costs and taxes - or even greater uncertainty over the possibility of these - when there is an easy Plan B....

Why worry about a collapsing tax base, they have oil, eternal oil.
    What Salmond and the SNP cannot acknowledge is that Big Oil (and even more so, Independent Oil, because of greater difficulty raising development funding) will see iScotland as higher risk than the current UK regime. To compensate for that, these oil companies will be looking to iScotland for a better fiscal package as compensation. So the net effect is that independence will result in a lower tax take from these oil fields.

And I speak as someone who did this haggling with Governments - in 63 countries around the globe - as my job for 25 years....

too true.

Furthermore with the financial sector being 8% of the Scottish economy and looking like heading South oil just can't generate enough tax to cover the shortfall.

LOL, Alan , come on , you mean all those banks that are already run from down south. If so good luck and I am sure there will be new banks or banks from other countries that will be happy to take over their business.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    BenM said:

You can only marvel at the complete lack of discipline which charatcerises the Conservatives.

Compare Carswell's self-indulgence with the steely holding of positions within Labour. All the fire and opprobrium brought upon Ed and Labour by the increasingly out-of-touch rightwing press, yet it is the Tories who split asunder!

It's too funny.

Proud of the fact that your party consists of yes men who would eat their own feet if told to do so. It's too funny.

It's also why thousands of people die in foreign lands.
  • Options

And this has been going on the constituency, slap bang next door to his own. Doesn't get much closer to home.

As I implied earlier, I expect that's exactly what he's doing. Why any politician should make public statements to suit their opponents' timetable I have never understood.

Still, there is a large swathe of Peebies these days who prefer abuse to debate. Presumably they think that anyone who prefers the opposite is a - well, I'd better not say, or I'd be joining them wouldn't I?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Many yes voters have this innocent belief that everything will go on the same. In a way it is touching the naivety. When I was explaining to some of the people at my company that if Scotland became independent then our sales to English customers would be treated as imports and that the English would prefer to buy from their local suppliers. Many of them were completely baffled by this.

and they're rightly baffled, because what you say is nonsense.

People buy what is value, no one buys from "local suppliers", every buy local campaign in history has ended in farce. People will buy value. Nothing else
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. M, it's perfectly in line with my sheep and wolves analogy. Labour are steely disciplined, or spineless sheep, as you like.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,720
    edited August 2014
    john_zims said:

@Socrates

Well you haven't been paying enough attention have you.

See was on Look North or Calendar the other day, as well the BBC and Sky News.

Then there's this

Seema Malhotra @SeemaMalhotra1 · 11h

Further devastating comments from victims on @ITV about how they were ignored by officials in #Rotherham and abuse is still going on

Seema Malhotra @SeemaMalhotra1 · 21h

Joined @BBCWomansHour earlier - Rotherham a stark reminder of the need to tackle sexual exploitation through coordinated public service

Retweeted by Seema Malhotra

JackDromeyMP @JackDromeyMP · Aug 26
    The truly horrific events in Rotherham will shock the country. The lessons that must now be learnt - @YvetteCooperMP http://press.labour.org.uk/post/95836716929/rotherham-abuse-inquiry-response-from-yvette-cooper

Seema Malhotra @SeemaMalhotra1 · 24h

About to do @BBCWomansHour with Holly Dustin on the devastating situation in Rotheram and wider domestic and sexual violence issues

Seema Malhotra @SeemaMalhotra1 · Aug 28

The scale of this is horrific - children need to be believed BBC News - Rotherham child abuse: Cases in other towns http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28953549
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TheWatcher

'That's never been a problem for him before; Miliband's normally first off the blocks when it comes to a statement or call for an inquiry.'

Next week's PMQ's should be fun.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    An interesting parallel struck me last night:

1) Situation: Concrete evidence of more than a thousand white kids have tortured and raped by Pakistani gangs. The police and council stymied the investigation and suppressed inquiries into it.

Reaction: local people tell journalists they're outraged and demand further investigation.

2) Situation: One black drug dealer is shot by a white policeman under unclear circumstances.

Reaction: half of London explodes in vandalism, rioting and looting for days on end.

What could possibly explain the discrepancy? Three suggestions:

(1) White community leaders in Rotherham did a particularly good job in "engaging the youth" and "appealing for calm".

(2) It ultimately comes down to the fact that young people in post-industrial Rotherham have more "privilege" than those living in a booming metropolis with thriving business, financial, tourism and creative sectors.

(3) The people of Rotherham have traditionally British cultural assumptions about law & order, including the belief justice should come from due process and investigation by the authorities. Meanwhile the underclass of London have adopted a culture of Jamaican yardies, which glamourises American ghetto culture, complete with hatred of "the Feds", a belief in violence to address grievances, and no regrets about stealing from society to get status items.

Answers on a postcard.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773

For something that's DEFINITELY not going to happen, PB Unionists seem awfie exercised.

Nats seem amazingly relaxed about the disappearing tax base for something that is DEFINITELY going to happen.
  • Options
    On topic

Kevin Schofield @schofieldkevin · 11h

New #indyref poll shows support for Yes on the rise. Does that mean we can believe it, or is it part of a Unionist plot? I get so confused.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,870

Oil will provide about 10% of the income of the Scottish Government. This is significant but you cannot build the country on this alone. Scotland gets about £1k per person more than England per person in public spending which is about £5bn and oil tax income is about £5-6bn. Thus Scotland would start no better or worse than where it was assuming that nothing else changes!! RBS moving its HQ to London which is almost a fait accompli would immediately create a hole in the tax base and that would be just the start. Lower corporate taxes, Salmond trying to buy off all his voters and the cost of setting up an administration from scratch. Where will all the money come from?

That's just the start if it:

......the costs of independence may be considerably greater than has generally been understood. If an independent Scotland would have no right to a share of the UK’s embassies and diplomatic services, for example, it follows that it would have to purchase, rent or build its own. The Scotland Analysis Paper on EU and International Issues explained something of the increased costs that would have to be met by Scottish taxpayers in the context of Scotland seeking accession to the EU as a new Member State.

http://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/the-hidden-costs-of-independence/
  • Options

Socrates said:

Is that why he was so vocal about electricity prices, when he has Caroline Flint as Shadow Secretary of State for Energy? And Syria, when Vernon Coaker is the Shadow Secretary of State for Defence?
    But only after a period of Zen-like reflection necessary for the intellectual self-confidence of any good leader.
  • Options

On topic

Kevin Schofield @schofieldkevin · 11h

New #indyref poll shows support for Yes on the rise. Does that mean we can believe it, or is it part of a Unionist plot? I get so confused.

Unionists are confused and would be hard pushed to plan a plot in the first place.
  • Options

Nats seem amazingly relaxed about the disappearing tax base for something that is DEFINITELY going to happen.
    Alan, imagining it from afar does not make it reality.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Yes, Ed Milband delegates his comments and press releases unless it's truly important stuff like Tory defections, the Scottish referendum and, um, the death of Richard Attenborough:

https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband

I can never work out whether Labour posters on here are knowingly spinning a line about this stuff or genuinely have their head in the sand.
  • Options
    saddened said:

BenM said:

It's too funny.

Proud of the fact that your party consists of yes men who would eat their own feet if told to do so. It's too funny.

Oh ok.

History is replete with examples of split Parties winning elections! You Tories are on to a winner!

Don't let me stop you.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Socrates said:

Miliband is widely reported to have called for the South Yorkshire PCC to resign his post. So where have you credulously picked up this meme?
  • Options
    Mr. G, 'plan a plot' does sound rather tautological.

Not as awful as pre-prepared, of course. For that alone, Brown deserves censure.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Socrates said:

The Rotherham gangs were culturally muslim, but not observant muslims.

Yes, the Prophet, peace be upon him, would never have had sex with a child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisha
    I think you've mucked up the quoting. I never said that.
    It was my phrase. I also find that long posts do not always trim neatly formatted.

These were not observant Muslims if you read the case reports. I agree though that the culture of arranged marriages of teenage girls goes back to the roots of Islam. Sometimes (like Aisha) these were for dynastic purposes, and this contines to this day, as do Vani marriages ( http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/mar/11/forced-marriage-pakistan-matrimony-laws )

The misuse of young women as tradeable chattels without consent is hard to move on from when it is permitted in the Koran and established in the Hadith.

Education and Feminism strike at the heart of Islamist teachings, and as half the population is female always a threat to those in power.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399

Relax Brookie, it's a boring campaign that no-one is interested in.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MAJOR Scottish companies will quit the country if post-Yes talks even start to suggest a currency union will not materialise, according to an independent survey.

Several "larger PLCs" would move their headquarters south of the Border as soon as they felt the "direction of travel" in separation negotiations would hurt the pound or put up barriers to trading, the Edinburgh University study found.

Oops! Edinburgh......

Well of course they would.

YES has one massive weakness. It has not demonstrated there is a wall of inward investment, with its pool of jobs, just waiting to head for Scotland once it gets independence. Admittedly, for a very good reason - there is nobody coming forward to say it is what they want.

The flip side is that a sizeable number of jobs - quality jobs, well-paid jobs, high tax-generating jobs - would be at risk of moving south (or east or west). As would those who currently have wealth. Companies and individuals are not going to hang around and suffer higher costs and taxes - or even greater uncertainty over the possibility of these - when there is an easy Plan B....

Why worry about a collapsing tax base, they have oil, eternal oil.
    What Salmond and the SNP cannot acknowledge is that Big Oil (and even more so, Independent Oil, because of greater difficulty raising development funding) will see iScotland as higher risk than the current UK regime. To compensate for that, these oil companies will be looking to iScotland for a better fiscal package as compensation. So the net effect is that independence will result in a lower tax take from these oil fields.

And I speak as someone who did this haggling with Governments - in 63 countries around the globe - as my job for 25 years....

too true.

Furthermore with the financial sector being 8% of the Scottish economy and looking like heading South oil just can't generate enough tax to cover the shortfall.

LOL, Alan , come on , you mean all those banks that are already run from down south. If so good luck and I am sure there will be new banks or banks from other countries that will be happy to take over their business.
    So you won't mind missing the tax revenues?

Good to know.

Oh, and how many banks will want to list in a country without a lender of last resort?

• Options

Socrates said:

Miliband is widely reported to have called for the South Yorkshire PCC to resign his post. So where have you credulously picked up this meme?
    Because Labour HQ "let it be known" those were Ed's beliefs. He still hasn't condemned the scale of the abuse itself or spoken publicly about the issue where he might be put in the awkward situation of being a Jew criticising Muslims.
  • Options

Oil will provide about 10% of the income of the Scottish Government. This is significant but you cannot build the country on this alone. Scotland gets about £1k per person more than England per person in public spending which is about £5bn and oil tax income is about £5-6bn. Thus Scotland would start no better or worse than where it was assuming that nothing else changes!! RBS moving its HQ to London which is almost a fait accompli would immediately create a hole in the tax base and that would be just the start. Lower corporate taxes, Salmond trying to buy off all his voters and the cost of setting up an administration from scratch. Where will all the money come from?

Hard to believe that you run a company as you say given the mince you post, sounds more like you would have trouble running a bath. All the companies that currently pay their Scottish revenue in London would have to pay it in Edinburgh meaning a huge tax bonanza.
    See how easy it is to counter STUPID arguments with equally stupid ones, my tax changes will be much bigger than yours you turnip.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

All the companies that currently pay their Scottish revenue in London would have to pay it in Edinburgh meaning a huge tax bonanza..
    Even if they've relocated to London?
  • Options
    John_N said:

Scott_P said:

An employee of RBS told me she thought the Scottish Banks would carry on printing Sterling notes because they recently showcased their new plastic designs. She seemed genuinely surprised when I suggested voters down South would demand of their politicians that their license to do so be revoked.

For all the discussion on currency, a lot of people in Scotland think there is already 'Scottish money' because of what the banknotes have printed on them.

Scottish nationalism for many people is xenophobic against the English, with "Tories" and "Westminster" functioning as euphemisms. It's about having a big chip on the shoulder. The 'logic' goes as follows: London is the capital of Britain, therefore Scotland is 'ruled' not just from England but by England.

Did you tell her that RBS and Lloyds will rush their registration to the rUK (if it's OK with the EU in the case of Lloyds!) in the event of Scottish independence? So hoiking the licence wouldn't be a matter of England telling Scotland what to do.

An iScotland government or banks active in Scotland could of course print some kind of paper backed by the GBPs that are already held in Scotland. But that's a point for the better informed among us. Ditto with the points that monetary union without fiscal union means there'd be no Scottish control over the Scottish economy, and a Scottish currency would be unlikely to work given that Salmond has threatened to renege on debts. From the YES supporters' point of view, those points can only be made by people who've been duped by scaremongerers into 'doing Scotland down'. Our 'belief' isn't strong enough.

But oh no, "it's Scotland's pound too" and so on.

Shouty, naive, smily, prickly xenophobia against cautious common sense. Who will win?

Survation was at 53%-47% before the first debate, suggesting we might be at 57%-43%, but then there is a secondary effect, surely, from the reporting of the second debate and from this poll. NO might get less than 57%.

The NO campaign should push the £85000 question hard. "Let's keep our bank accounts protected".
    Salmond has just repeated for the umpteenth time publicly that the 85K EU rule is guaranteed to remain in an independent Scotland. You got any more stupid questions.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Alan, imagining it from afar does not make it reality.
    Like a currency union?
  • Options
    BenM said:

saddened said:

BenM said:

It's too funny.

Oh ok.

History is replete with examples of split Parties winning elections! You Tories are on to a winner!

Don't let me stop you.
    Carry on with your pride in yes men.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited August 2014
    Does Mr Lord have any chance of beating Carswell to the UKIP nomination?
  • Options

Socrates said:

The Rotherham gangs were culturally muslim, but not observant muslims.

Yes, the Prophet, peace be upon him, would never have had sex with a child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisha
    I think you've mucked up the quoting. I never said that.
    It was my phrase. I also find that long posts do not always trim neatly formatted.

These were not observant Muslims if you read the case reports. I agree though that the culture of arranged marriages of teenage girls goes back to the roots of Islam. Sometimes (like Aisha) these were for dynastic purposes, and this contines to this day, as do Vani marriages ( http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/mar/11/forced-marriage-pakistan-matrimony-laws )

The misuse of young women as tradeable chattels without consent is hard to move on from when it is permitted in the Koran and established in the Hadith.

Education and Feminism strike at the heart of Islamist teachings, and as half the population is female always a threat to those in power.
    Aisha was not a teenage girl. She was seven when Muhammed, the most perfect man to Muslims, married her, and ten when he had sex with her. It was also a marriage that was ordained by God, according to the Prophet, 53 at the time, so it's not purely a "cultural" thing: it was blessed as holy by Allah according to scripture.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Ishmael_X said:

Gadfly said:

John_N said:

Scott_P said:

"HM Treasury issued a statement in April 2013 stating that the present relationship with the Bank of England could be changed after independence, with the result that Scottish banks may lose the ability to issue banknotes backed by Bank of England funds."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling

And that was well before currency union was ruled out.

I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, to maintain the current backing arrangements with a foreign country using sterlingisation. I don't believe that Panama prints its own dollars.

Panama prints/mints balboas which are fixed at 1:1 with dollars.

Really disgusted with Salmond now. He has taken on board the fact that you can lie to the electorate as much as you like about currency matters because nobody understands them.

It is my understanding that Panama refers to its (US Dollar) currency as the Balboa, but that it has no authority to print paper money. It does mint Balboa coins, which look similar to Dollar coins, and are worth one dollar, but I can't determine whether these are backed.

It seems somewhat ironic that an independent Scotland using sterlingisation, may have to say goodbye to its banknotes, and use the ones printed by the Bank of England instead.

• Options

Many yes voters have this innocent belief that everything will go on the same. In a way it is touching the naivety. When I was explaining to some of the people at my company that if Scotland became independent then our sales to English customers would be treated as imports and that the English would prefer to buy from their local suppliers. Many of them were completely baffled by this.

The Yes voters are either ardent nationalists or dreamers or at rock bottom and figure that any change cant make things worse. In some ways I admire the first and understand the last but the dreamers just amaze me.

The Yes Vote has become what Salmond did not want a vote for the SNP. Blair Jenkins has disappeared and you are now either with Salmond or against him. I have yet to meet someone recently who has changed their mind on which way they will vote. This is good for the No campaign. The only risk is that the No campaign does not get its voters out. Overall I see this as a fairly low risk given all the media attention but still is the only way I can see Yes winning.

Conversely NO voters are losers , no hopers, people of limited vision.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

John_N said:

Scott_P said:

But oh no, "it's Scotland's pound too" and so on.

Shouty, naive, smily, prickly xenophobia against cautious common sense. Who will win?

Salmond has just repeated for the umpteenth time publicly that the 85K EU rule is guaranteed to remain in an independent Scotland. You got any more stupid questions.
    How is he going to implement it without a lender of last resort? Is the Scottish Government (trans. Scottish Tax Payer) going to underwrite it?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Because Labour HQ "let it be known" those were Ed's beliefs. He still hasn't condemned the scale of the abuse itself or spoken publicly about the issue where he might be put in the awkward situation of being a Jew criticising Muslims.
    My apologies, you are right.

None of the reports have a direct quote from Miliband.

What a bizarre omission. You'd have thought it would be pretty easy for him to make a standard sort of statement.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

All the companies that currently pay their Scottish revenue in London would have to pay it in Edinburgh meaning a huge tax bonanza.
    Lordy. Where to begin? A large financial services firm in the UK that happens to be headquartered in Edinburgh today (say Standard Life or HBOS) will have the majority of its customer base in the rUK. A YES will mean that the boiler plate needs to be move to London. This will happen as soon as the YES vote comes in and well before the actual act of parliament / de facto independence. The Scottish bits / branches would be hived into separate legal entities registered in Scotland. The end result will be that the Scottish bits pay tax on their Scottish profits and remit a dividend to their parent entity in London. In other words the tax cashflow of all such entitites will go to the Scottish / rUK treasuries respectively in direct proportion to the actuall underlying business / profits. I imagine on domestic (within current UK) business that the split will be roughly 8/92.

And Malc, WTF did you mean by 'pay their revenue'? Did you mean pay their tax?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Socrates - one thing that's only occurred to me this morning reading this article in the Graun (please don't groan)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/28/rotherham-abuse-class-sex-racial-bigotry

'I have worked within schools where poor white girls being groomed were, despite brilliant work from pastoral teams, viewed as complicit in their own exploitation by some staff. What did they expect from mixing with the “Asian boys”? These children were fair game because they had crossed the colour and cultural line. Doing so had rendered them beyond respectability and thus all relevance.'

I hadn't considered this aspect. Sadly it may be that many white people in Rotherham think these girls 'had in coming' because they had given their bodies to Asian men. Obviously some sympathy would be understandable if they had been groomed by a white man, anyone could be vulnerable to that. But an Asian man? However young they might be, perhaps that is seen as beyond the pale?

As for the difference with London, I don't know either place well but with London the kids are surrounded by extravagant wealth on a daily basis. Those in Rotherham are not. It's probably also a more settled area than most of London. Even if people feel left behind, there is probably a sense of community that might be a barrier to these things.

The situation in Rotherham is complex. The right wing is far too obsessed with the PC angle in all this/people afraid of being accused of racism etc. We could do with some balance.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Socrates
    What was the status of child/arranged marriage at an equivalent time in Europe?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Financier said:

RE TESCO

Their problem is that they forgot to keep the focus on their core business - food and household consummables retailing.

While Tesco clearly has a presence in too many areas, their major downfall has been to drop the tactic that made them so successful in the first place - "pile it high, sell it cheap". They rely too much on temporary price gimmicks and shoppers have become wise to them, the rush to Aldi and Lidl by Tesco shoppers comes from them following Tesco's old business model. The new CEO must come in and drop the price gimmicks, sacrifice the margin and get the volume business back on track. Tesco has also become bloated, the staff have too many things to do not related to sales. They should sell their mobile phone unit to Sky (who have been sniffing around) and their non-performing assets in property. Tesco Mobile is a huge distraction and completely unrelated to the rest of their business, it's not something they can bundle easily with other services (they don't offer any) and it doesn't help sell their core product. The money they bring in from selling it can be used to modernise their retail outlets.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    A variant of the interview I mentioned at the beginning of this thread is now the No. 1 story on BBC News online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28974336
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Yes, Ed Milband delegates his comments and press releases unless it's truly important stuff like Tory defections, the Scottish referendum and, um, the death of Richard Attenborough:

I can never work out whether Labour posters on here are knowingly spinning a line about this stuff or genuinely have their head in the sand.
    You cannot expect the Labour leader to dance to Ukip's tune.That's David Cameron's job.

• Options
    Patrick said:

Scottish oil production will fall. Fact. How fast it falls is dependent on many factors - technical and commercial / economic. One key factor is tax. Continued development of the more marginal fields must be adequately NPV positive. Whatever happens the ability of the N.Sea to generate tax revenue for its host government is going to reduce more sharply than the actual production of barrels of oil.

I fear the SNP see the reserves and think 'there's alot of tax for us'. It's not.

Patrick , LOL, how desperate can you get. UK will make plenty but we will give it away for free. No matter how much is there it is worth a lot of money.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

No. The people's party have declared that as this is a by election they get to choose the candidate, so strictly speaking he was never a candidate for the by election.

Apparently it's the new politics run by the people and in no way dictated from the centre bypassing the local association.
  • Options
    Mr. G, Salmond cannot (unless he's wealthier than I imagined) guarantee deposits up to 85,000 (is that pounds, or euros?).

A central bank can.

The only ways the deposit guarantee can remain is:
    1) currency union (pound or euro)
    2) a Scottish currency

Why sterlingisation even remains on the table perplexes me. Maybe it's clever bluffing, and if Yes wins it'll be swept away for sound economic reasons, having served its purpose convincing people to vote for independence.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

My apologies, you are right.

None of the reports have a direct quote from Miliband.

What a bizarre omission. You'd have thought it would be pretty easy for him to make a standard sort of statement.
    Apology accepted, and due respect for admitting your mistake.

Like I said, I don't believe this is a random omission. Anti-semitism is virulent in parts of the Muslim community:

The results of a Populus poll for a coalition of Jewish community groups of 500 British Muslims during December 9-19, and reported on in The Times.

- Agree that the Muslim community should boycott Holocaust Memorial Day: 56 percent.
    - Believe that Jews in Britain have no interest in the plight of the Palestinians: 57 percent.
    - Believe that Jews in Britain have too much influence over British foreign policy: 53 percent.
    - Believe that Jews in Britain are in league with the Freemasons to control the media and politics: 46 percent.
    - Believe that Jews in Britain are "legitimate targets as part of the ongoing struggle for justice in the Middle East": 37 percent.

There is discomfort among many Labour-supporting Muslims about Ed Miliband being leader, and the leader's team is acutely aware of this. That's why he's so much more scathing about Israel than any other Labour leader has been and why he's highly reluctant to criticise Muslims in the UK.

I will reiterate at this point that there are many decent and fair-minded British Muslims who have no prejudice against Jews.
  • Options

Mr. G, 'plan a plot' does sound rather tautological.

Not as awful as pre-prepared, of course. For that alone, Brown deserves censure.

It does mangle English and I apologise profusely.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

You cannot expect the Labour leader to dance to Ukip's tune.That's David Cameron's job.

Yes, condemning the industrial scale rape and violence of more than a thousand children and an institutional cover-up over a decade is "dancing to UKIP's tune".

For Christ's sake, what is wrong with you people?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

The Yes voters are either ardent nationalists or dreamers or at rock bottom and figure that any change cant make things worse. In some ways I admire the first and understand the last but the dreamers just amaze me.

The Yes Vote has become what Salmond did not want a vote for the SNP. Blair Jenkins has disappeared and you are now either with Salmond or against him. I have yet to meet someone recently who has changed their mind on which way they will vote. This is good for the No campaign. The only risk is that the No campaign does not get its voters out. Overall I see this as a fairly low risk given all the media attention but still is the only way I can see Yes winning.

Conversely NO voters are losers , no hopers, people of limited vision.
    And in the majority ;-)

• Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

So the reason Ed Miliband hasn't said anything, even though he has, is because of his racial background?

In addition, any further statement would inevitably have to focus on criticism of people from another racial background?

That's an interesting take on things, Socrates.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,138

Oops! Edinburgh......

Has nobody on this site noticed that Mr Cameron was berated at the infamous illegal-when-planned dinner in Glasgow, and by the CBI no less, for his chaos over Brexit? (Or EWNIexit as the case may be.)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/cameron-humiliated-as-cbi-chief-attacks-eu-vote-plan.25180163

• Options
    Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

All the companies that currently pay their Scottish revenue in London would have to pay it in Edinburgh meaning a huge tax bonanza.
    Lordy. Where to begin? A large financial services firm in the UK that happens to be headquartered in Edinburgh today (say Standard Life or HBOS) will have the majority of its customer base in the rUK. A YES will mean that the boiler plate needs to be move to London. This will happen as soon as the YES vote comes in and well before the actual act of parliament / de facto independence. The Scottish bits / branches would be hived into separate legal entities registered in Scotland. The end result will be that the Scottish bits pay tax on their Scottish profits and remit a dividend to their parent entity in London. In other words the tax cashflow of all such entitites will go to the Scottish / rUK treasuries respectively in direct proportion to the actuall underlying business / profits. I imagine on domestic (within current UK) business that the split will be roughly 8/92.

I meant lots of Scottish revenue / tax etc gets funneled via London registered companies that will in future need to pay it in Edinburgh.
    HMRC are often referred to as the "revenue" so WTF are you pontificating about.
    I was merely replying in kind to the frotheres on here who see doom and gloom that you can as easily imagine it going the other way. Currently nothing is paid to Scotland it all goes to London, you thick unionists on here cannot seem to grasp that.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Condemning what has happened in Rotherham and pledging to do something about it is not dancing to UKIPs tune. It should be politics 101.

People are upset about something - you make sure it's out there in the news that you are upset about it too.

Miliband showed that he knows this when he went walkabouts during the flooding last winter.
  • Options

The situation in Rotherham is complex. The right wing is far too obsessed with the PC angle in all this/people afraid of being accused of racism etc. We could do with some balance.

Good luck with that on here.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2014
    Fenster said:

What a mess.
    Carsewell does the honourable thing by resigning.
    Unfortunately he then breaks his own principle by agreeing to stand through a deal with the UKIP Leadership backing him as the local UKIP candidate and not getting the agreement of local members first. Carswell has written endlessly about the need to respect party members..... errrrrrr......
    I guess this was a catch 22 situation for Carswell, but, he has colluded with a party's Leadership to run roughshod over local party members.
    Irony?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

If Ed gets abuse from bigoted Islamists for being a Jew it would be a chance for him to stand up and show the public he has a backbone and not an opportunity he should turn down. His personal ratings could soar. The sympathy from the Daily Mail story on would be nothing on this!
  • Options

As I implied earlier, I expect that's exactly what he's doing. Why any politician should make public statements to suit their opponents' timetable I have never understood.

Still, there is a large swathe of Peebies these days who prefer abuse to debate. Presumably they think that anyone who prefers the opposite is a - well, I'd better not say, or I'd be joining them wouldn't I?
    Personally, I don't care whether Miliband makes a statement or not. The issue must be put front and centre so the non vested interest Labour support can see exactly what Labour stands for, and permits to happen in the interests of power. Hopefully (And as some payback for the tragic victims, not that they don't deserve much more than that) it will finally bury the filth on the left.
    Then we can take down the rest of them
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

I meant lots of Scottish revenue / tax etc gets funneled via London registered companies that will in future need to pay it in Edinburgh.
    No. A lot of currently "Scottish" companies will re-register in London. And broadly speaking pay 92% of their tax there, 8% in Edinburgh, or less if Eck can afford to lower business taxes to help the poor, disabled, unemployed and Scottish NHS. (how does that work? - ed.)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    For Sale Mint Copy of 2004 Children's Act. Apply Rotherham MBC.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130401151715/http://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/DFES10812004.pdf

"Right across Government, with our different remits, we are all working together to improve the lives of children, young people and their families. We are determined to make a step-change in the quality, accessibility and coherence of services so that every child and young person is able to fulfil their full potential and those facing particular obstacles are supported to overcome them. The Children Act 2004 provides the legislative foundation for whole-system reform to support this long-term and ambitious programme. It outlines new statutory duties and clarifies accountabilities for children’s services. But legislation by itself is not enough: it needs to be part of a wider process of change.

Every Child Matters: Change for Children sets out the national framework for local change programmes to build services around the needs of children and young people so that we maximise opportunity and minimise risk."

Empty posturing, if files are shredded etc.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Any examples, or are you making this up?

• Options
    Mr. Betting, it does make Carswell look somewhat full of shit.

Big danger for the blues in the by-election, but the same is true of the purples. Imagine if they lose. Could be a deathblow to their 2015 hopes.

There's that, and a Scottish Yes, which could derail the UKIP train.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

If Ed gets abuse from bigoted Islamists for being a Jew it would be a chance for him to stand up and show the public he has a backbone and not an opportunity he should turn down. His personal ratings could soar. The sympathy from the Daily Mail story on would be nothing on this!
    Yes, the personal ratings of a man who's party is complicit in covering up and failing to deal with industrial scale child rape must surely soar if he starts whining about it after the fact.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Financier said:

RE TESCO

Their problem is that they forgot to keep the focus on their core business - food and household consummables retailing.

While Tesco clearly has a presence in too many areas, their major downfall has been to drop the tactic that made them so successful in the first place - "pile it high, sell it cheap". They rely too much on temporary price gimmicks and shoppers have become wise to them, the rush to Aldi and Lidl by Tesco shoppers comes from them following Tesco's old business model. The new CEO must come in and drop the price gimmicks, sacrifice the margin and get the volume business back on track. Tesco has also become bloated, the staff have too many things to do not related to sales. They should sell their mobile phone unit to Sky (who have been sniffing around) and their non-performing assets in property. Tesco Mobile is a huge distraction and completely unrelated to the rest of their business, it's not something they can bundle easily with other services (they don't offer any) and it doesn't help sell their core product. The money they bring in from selling it can be used to modernise their retail outlets.
    The lack of focus is the problem but within the Tesco empire their Leaders seem to have little grasp of what makes money for them and what does not. They also seem to have become deaf to the views of the majority of their customers.
  • Options
    Oh look, a 2011 article in the Guardian, having a go at the Times for "dubious claims about Muslim men grooming white girls":

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/jan/07/grooming-racialising-crime-tradition
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Oops! Edinburgh......

Has nobody on this site noticed that Mr Cameron was berated at the infamous illegal-when-planned dinner in Glasgow, and by the CBI no less, for his chaos over Brexit? (Or EWNIexit as the case may be.)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/cameron-humiliated-as-cbi-chief-attacks-eu-vote-plan.25180163

Yes, Dave was in receipt of two rather unhelpful interventions yesterday - tho I believe some suggested that while no one would believe the CBI on the UK, magically they would on the EU. Odd that.....
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Oops! Edinburgh......

Yes, Dave was in receipt of two rather unhelpful interventions yesterday - tho I believe some suggested that while no one would believe the CBI on the UK, magically they would on the EU. Odd that.....
    Well, you might want to consider the closeness of the links between the CBI's members and the London and Edinburgh governments respectively, and consider whose choke collar is having the lead yanked.

I see that US companies are already moving to Dublin, BTW. A Scotland in the EU and EWNI out of it could be very interesting.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Oops! Edinburgh......

The CBI are as bad as the layabouts for wanting their teat kept on full milk. Bad for business, boo feckin hoo, find a new business plan and make it work, that's what the rest of us have to do.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Socrates said:

Oh look, a 2011 article in the Guardian, having a go at the Times for "dubious claims about Muslim men grooming white girls":

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/jan/07/grooming-racialising-crime-tradition

The guardian needs to take a f**king long look at itself. For years now its downplayed this, and played dangerously with accusing all and sundry of racism (Clarkson, Meerkats, Thomas the tank engine et al). It's helped create this atmosphere, and it should now review what it posted, especially in CiF
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Polly must be apoplectic over these now officially reported lies
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Oops! Edinburgh......

Well, you might want to consider the closeness of the links between the CBI's members and the London and Edinburgh governments respectively, and consider whose choke collar is having the lead yanked.

I see that US companies are already moving to Dublin, BTW. A Scotland in the EU and EWNI out of it could be very interesting.

How long will it take Scotland to become an EU member exactly?
  • Options
    My God - it's even worse than I thought:

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-grooming-gangs/18739?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Updating the list to include more recent convictions that fit the same pattern, we find that there have been at least 27 similar cases in the last decade.

By date of conviction, we have evidence of such exploitation taking place in Keighley (2005 and 2013), Blackpool (2006), Oldham (2007 and 2008), Blackburn (2007, 2008 and 2009), Sheffield (2008), Manchester (2008 and 2013) Skipton (2009), Rochdale (two cases in 2010, one in 2012 and another in 2013), Nelson (2010), Preston (2010) Rotherham (2010) Derby (2010), Telford (2012), Bradford (2012), Ipswich (2013), Birmingham (2013), Oxford (2013), Barking (2013) and Peterborough (2013).
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Oops! Edinburgh......

PS Actually I think (agree?) it highlights some very important issues about democracy and governance. One politician is ferociously attacked by the CBI (paid for by e.g. the BBC) for consulting the people. The other ...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Oops! Edinburgh......

Presumably for the favourable tax regime.

An independent Scotland would need to become an EU member first...
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Gadfly said:

It seems somewhat ironic that an independent Scotland using sterlingisation, may have to say goodbye to its banknotes, and use the ones printed by the Bank of England instead.

Imagine the amusement to be had by putting Thatcher on the back of the £10 note.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Oops! Edinburgh......

Given the most recent reports from the EU, after Mr Camron;s chum left, in time for indy day (in a sense it is already a member, as a constituent nation of the UK). The tone has changed very noticeably from the EU end, and the No campaign seem to have shut up about it also very noticeably.

• Options

Why sterlingisation even remains on the table perplexes me. Maybe it's clever bluffing, and if Yes wins it'll be swept away for sound economic reasons, having served its purpose convincing people to vote for independence.

Possibly because it gives credence to Salmond's pronouncement at the first debate that "we'll keep the pound because it's our pound as well as England's”

• Options

Personally, I don't care whether Miliband makes a statement or not. The issue must be put front and centre so the non vested interest Labour support can see exactly what Labour stands for, and permits to happen in the interests of power. Hopefully (And as some payback for the tragic victims, not that they don't deserve much more than that) it will finally bury the filth on the left.
    So it's not really about protecting kids in the future from this kind of appalling crime and scandalous institutional indifference.

For you it's simply about destroying the other tribe that's different from your tribe?

Thanks for that perspective on your warped priorities.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Socratese
    I must have missed your reply on child/arranged marriages in Europe from the sixth century to more "modern" times.
    Could you re-enlighten me?
  • Options
    It would do Dave no harm at all to kick big business in the nuts for once and play the people decide card.
  • Options

Socrates said:

The guardian needs to take a f**king long look at itself. For years now its downplayed this, and played dangerously with accusing all and sundry of racism (Clarkson, Meerkats, Thomas the tank engine et al). It's helped create this atmosphere, and it should now review what it posted, especially in CiF
    So far the blame lies with Labour, political correctness, the Guardian and immigrants (natch).

If we could somehow shoehorn in the BBC, people on benefits and the EU we'd have a full house!

Great that we're taking this grave matter seriously rather than using it to score cheap political points huh.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

saddened said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Oops! Edinburgh......

Given the most recent reports from the EU, after Mr Camron;s chum left, in time for indy day (in a sense it is already a member, as a constituent nation of the UK). The tone has changed very noticeably from the EU end, and the No campaign seem to have shut up about it also very noticeably.

Don't know is the correct answer, as with so many other things.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    BenM said:

So it's not really about protecting kids in the future from this kind of appalling crime and scandalous institutional indifference.

For you it's simply about destroying the other tribe that's different from your tribe?

Thanks for that perspective on your warped priorities.
    It's about both. One obviously has to happen, the other is something that needs to happen, and every opportunity should be taken to ensure it does.

Like Labour give a crap about protecting kids in the future!
  • Options
    Curtice on Survation:

Initially, the first regular poll to be conduced since the second leaders’ debate – by Survation for today’s Daily Mail – looks like very good news for the Yes side. But in truth its real message is that collectively at least the two leaders’ debates have apparently failed to change the balance of support for Yes and No.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/08/yes-bounce-back-in-survation-post-bbc-debate-poll/
  • Options
    What ?

Doctor Who ‘lesbian-lizard’ kiss will not face investigation

Six viewers complained that scene from Peter Capaldi’s first full episode as the Doctor was ‘gratuitous’ and ‘unneccessary’

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/28/doctor-who-lesbian-lizard-kiss-peter-capaldi
  • Options
    edited August 2014

It would do Dave no harm at all to kick big business in the nuts for once and play the people decide card.

He was unaccountably reluctant to let the Scots do that, as you may recall*. There was someone on this site who made the prediction that in many ways the Indyref was going to be a rehearsal for the Brexit (or, as things may be, EWNIexit) referendum. Very perceptive.

*until things had got to the stage where they would declare their own referendum and if need be UDI
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Hugh said:

Socrates said:

So far the blame lies with Labour, political correctness, the Guardian and immigrants (natch).

If we could somehow shoehorn in the BBC, people on benefits and the EU we'd have a full house!

Great that we're taking this grave matter seriously rather than using it to score cheap political points huh.
    Always becomes a grave matter when the left is caught complicit. Funny how it wasn't such a grave matter when they were covering it up and assisting it to happen. The rest of us will take the matter seriously, I don't think Labour can be trusted to.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, that seems slightly peculiar.

I hope next week's episode remembers to have a coherent plot. Rather liked Capaldi's cantankerous exchanges with Clara.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Anorak said:

Gadfly said:

Imagine the amusement to be had by putting Thatcher on the back of the £10 note.
    And Edward Longshanks!
  • Options

What ?

Doctor Who ‘lesbian-lizard’ kiss will not face investigation

Six viewers complained that scene from Peter Capaldi’s first full episode as the Doctor was ‘gratuitous’ and ‘unneccessary’

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/28/doctor-who-lesbian-lizard-kiss-peter-capaldi

With your critics hat on what did you think of the episode? I fell asleep and couldn't raise enough interest to look it up on I player to see the end.
  • Options
    Wasn't Polly Toynbee once named Islamophobic commentator of the year? Here's Peter Oborne from the Telegraph a few years ago on anti-Muslim bigotry:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100072900/hatred-of-muslims-is-one-of-the-last-bastions-of-british-bigotry/
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that seems slightly peculiar.

I hope next week's episode remembers to have a coherent plot. Rather liked Capaldi's cantankerous exchanges with Clara.

He's a proper old school Doctor
This discussion has been closed.