Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New IndyRef poll for Scottish Daily Mail from Survation has

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited August 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New IndyRef poll for Scottish Daily Mail from Survation has NO lead back to what it was before the first debate

It should be noted that Survation,along with Panelbase and ICM, have tended to show the best figures for YES. Ipsos-MORI, TNS and YouGov have the worst ones.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,974
    First?
  • Options
    RobD said:

First?

Excellent.

Throughly depressing for this Unionist. I realise that it is merely reversion to the norm for Survation, but still... meh
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Isn't unionist just a Euphamism for europhiles these days?
    Stay part of something that's run by something else. Unionism is as dated as Empire.
  • Options

Stay part of something that's run by something else. Unionism is as dated as Empire.

I'm using it in the context of the Act of Union 1707.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2014
    It gets worse and worse....

Sick Umar Razaq – released from jail after appealing the length of his sentence – posted a picture of himself in sunglasses on Facebook as he flew off to Pakistan.

It is believed only two are still behind bars

The final gang member Hussain, was recalled to prison last year. It is believed he breached his licence agreement by going to a children’s play area.

It also emerged Ramzan had links with a bogus bride network. His dad Mohammed Ramzan, 59, was jailed over a wedding plot in which women were preyed on before they were given £300 to pose as brides in fake ceremonies abroad.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rotherham-sex-abuse-monster-flies-4126300

Its ok, because all the community leaders knew and they were taking steps to stop it without involving the police.

The authorities knew, but its ok, they have improved and lessons have been learned.

The PCC (and former of head of child services) DIDN'T know, despite evidence to the contrary. And if he didn't know, why not, it was his job to know. Seems everybody else in a position of power (other than the local MP who was hiding in his garage fiddling his expenses) knew.
  • Options
    'Firstly today, our thoughts should be with the victims'. (Ed M on the day Andy Coulson was banged up.) Thousands of police hours. Multimillion pound public inquiry, poor old Hugh Grant and luvvies unlimited.

1400 children sexually exploited in Rotherham by gangs of ahem, (Labour target voters?)
    'Silence in the air and tumbleweed clogging up the streets around Primrose Hill.'

Vote Labour, get cnuts. Hypocritical wealthy cnuts at that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm using it in the context of the Act of Union 1707.
    The (here's your money my Lord Campbell) Act of Union 1707.
    We were united for 100 years before that, it didn't need a dowry and a forced marriage.
    Screw it, I want the Wuffingas back, Wessex and it's dirty money can sod off.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @davidthecon
    Cameron could order an inquiry without Ed having to tell him?
    Or did I miss something in what passes for our constitution?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@davidthecon

I doubt he wants one until the drip drip drip of alleged Labour complicity reaches a torrent.
  • Options
    @dyedwoolie
    That's why the delay in the one into government "dodgyness"?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    RobD If it is this with Survation it will likely be a bigger No lead with yougov, either way the Union looks likely to stay, the question is the margin now, Salmond has had his last throw of the dice
  • Options
    Come on my friends up there, get out and vote yes! Your freedom will mark the start of the rest of us throwing out the Wessex/London crap and getting our freedom too.
    #backtotheseptarchy
  • Options
    @HYUFD
    Nahh, his last throw is to declare UDI, and make a last stand at the local curry house
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@dyedwoolie
    That's why the delay in the one into government "dodgyness"?

Who knows? I'm consumed only with a desire to see Labour beaten, bound and destroyed. Once that's accomplished we can start shooting the rest of the foxes.
  • Options
    @dyedwoolie
    Fair point, well made.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    FPT:
    AndyJS said:

I read in a book review the other day that 99% of ordinary Scots were against joining the Union in 1707 and it only happened because the Scottish aristocracy were bribed into it.

Rubbish.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@dyedwoolie
    Fair point, well made.

I'm nothing if not slightly insane and fixated. One sacred cow at a time.....
  • Options
    corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

I read in a book review the other day that 99% of ordinary Scots were against joining the Union in 1707 and it only happened because the Scottish aristocracy were bribed into it.

Rubbish.
    Yeah, I could understand a 'majority'.. but 99%, awfully too specific.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    No, it was more like 94% agin
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@davidthecon

He's not slow in asking for inquiries for anything and everything else to score cheap political points though is he? The disgraceful state of affairs in Rotherham came about on your mobs watch. And your lot just turned a blind eye to it. When Ed does eventually gob off about it you can be sure it will be some slimey bs waffle about 'lessons learned', 'never again', and loads of other cobblers he doesn't actually mean.

Your beloved leader is a really pathetic piece of work.
  • Options
    @dyedwoolie
    It's a load of bullocks though?
    night woollie
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Smarmeron said:

@davidthecon

I doubt he wants one until the drip drip drip of alleged Labour complicity reaches a torrent.
    Alleged? There's no one else to blame. Council, MP and Police Commissioner all Labour.

And the numbers were too big to say you didn't know.
  • Options
    If only Cry God For Harry had lived a few more years, would we now be debating a poll on the French voting to secede from the Act of Onion ca 1415?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Smarmeron said:

@davidthecon

Alleged? There's no one else to blame. Council, MP and Police Commissioner all Labour.

And the numbers were too big to say you didn't know.
    I like to tread on eggshells and see if I can not break any. It's a personal thing.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.
    Bribery was at the heart of it though, that's the point.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited August 2014

'Firstly today, our thoughts should be with the victims'. (Ed M on the day Andy Coulson was banged up.) Thousands of police hours. Multimillion pound public inquiry, poor old Hugh Grant and luvvies unlimited.

1400 children sexually exploited in Rotherham by gangs of ahem, (Labour target voters?)
    'Silence in the air and tumbleweed clogging up the streets around Primrose Hill.'

I kind of agree with you but consider this

We on PB all have our views and argue them vigorously... When someone on your side errs it is difficult to put previous arguments aside and agree they made a mistake... No on ever does it!!! I'm sure the labour posters that change the subject when rotherham us mentioned know they are wrong but would rather not agree with people they genuinely think are racist

So imagine how ihard it must be for Miliband to criticise political correctness, and admit nick griffin was right about Asian gangs.. It might be the right thing to do but it would mean labour would lose the next election

If PB people don't do it under the cloak of anonymity with nothing to lose, why would an mp let alone a party leader?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@dyedwoolie
    It's a load of bullocks though?
    night woollie

Heifer care will you?
    Goodnight Smarmeron
  • Options
    The fact that nobody has phoned me to congratulate me on my Act of Onion pun below just goes to show how entrenched the Wessex cancer is. Wherever secession is on the table, vote yes yes yes!
  • Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.
    Going to keep pulling numbers out of the air?

Kind of, maybe, but also possibly not.
  • Options
    isam said:

We on PB all have our views and argue them vigorously... When someone on your side errs it is difficult to put previous arguments aside and agree they made a mistake... No on ever does it!!! I'm sure the labour posters that change the subject when rotherham us mentioned know they are wrong but would rather not agree with people they genuinely think are racist

So imagine how ihard it must be for Miliband to criticise political correctness, and admit nick griffin was right about Asian gangs.. It might be the right thing to do but it would mean labour would lose the next election

If PB people don't do it under the cloak of anonymity with nothing to lose, why would an mp let alone a party leader?
    It's becoming increasingly obvious the establishment is dying, it's just a question of when to euthanise it. That choice will not remain in the hands of a peaceful electorate forever.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.

The numbers are 'just a bit of fun', I have no idea but would bet big on a majority agin in 1707. The bribery is recorded fact. The only debate is the net effect of Wessex's cash.
  • Options
    Andy JS Yes, I can just imagine Peter Kellner and Bob Worcester's great great great grandfathers going around the crofts of the highlands with their clipboards!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy JS Yes, I can just imagine Peter Kellner and Bob Worcester's great great great grandfathers going around the crofts of the highlands with their clipboards!

Bobs GGGGGF is on record as saying it was a terrible night for the Tories
  • Options
    Smarmeron Yes, would not put it past him
  • Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.

The numbers are 'just a bit of fun', I have no idea but would bet big on a majority agin in 1707. The bribery is recorded fact. The only debate is the net effect of Wessex's cash.
    The short answer is no-one really knows at all. Riots happened, showing some people felt strongly against, but as for the general public. We just don't really have the evidence to go on.

Out of curiosity, what specifically are you referring to by bribery.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.

The short answer is no-one really knows at all. Riots happened, showing some people felt strongly against, but as for the general public. We just don't really have the evidence to go on.

Payment to ensure a yes vote in the 'democratic' parliament North of the border
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @isam

'So imagine how ihard it must be for Miliband to criticise political correctness, and admit nick griffin was right about Asian gangs.'

Because Ed never ceases to lecture us that he always does the right thing and is not afraid of taking on vested interests?

This is not just about political correctness but a massive cover up of child abuse on an industrial scale for many years.
  • Options
    isam said:

Miliband can't even work out the difference between right and wrong. To keep quiet about such an obscene situation is just plain wrong. In fact anything short of disavowing the entire Labour cabal in Rotherham, just shows how unfit the worthless toad is to ever be P.M.

If he even contemplates that accepting Nick Griffin was correct, just this once, is a reason to change his response to what has happened, then he is even more scum than I can even imagine.

Rotherham is obviously just the tip of a very large iceberg. This stuff has been, and is still, going on across large swathes of the UK. Multiculturalism has failed miserably. One particular extreme strand of Islam, the same strand that preaches hatred of western values and leads to 100's of young Muslims to go and fight like medieval barbarians in Iraq and Syria, is infesting British culture like a disease.

There's no discussions to be had, or negotiations to be held with extreme Islamists. They don't fit into liberal western civilization. And Miliband just keeps quiet because he doesn't want to offend them! Worse still, Labour courts them as potential voters. Sickening.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    john_zims said:

@isam

'So imagine how ihard it must be for Miliband to criticise political correctness, and admit nick griffin was right about Asian gangs.'

Because Ed never ceases to lecture us that he always does the right thing and is not afraid of taking on vested interests?

This is not just about political correctness but a massive cover up of child abuse on an industrial scale for many years.

Mate it's absolute filth and not surprising that the illogical political correctness would deliver this eventually .... But partisan politics is a nasty game, and everyone involved seems to play it
  • Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.

(Leaving aside the question of how much difference those payments really made)

In that case tear all the laws of that era down. Bribery was normal parliamentary procedure in Scotland and England, saying people were bribed is like saying parliament wasn't democratic and there was some social inequality about, it's how things were done.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.

In that case tear all the laws of that era down. Bribery was normal parliamentary procedure in Scotland and England, saying people were bribed is like saying parliament wasn't democratic and there was some social inequality about, it's how things were done.
    Indeed. And now we pay the price. That's my point.
  • Options
    Shame there is no PMQs, Ed could do his smell the fart face when skewered on Rotherham
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @dyedwoolie

Thought parliament returns on Monday?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@dyedwoolie

Thought parliament returns on Monday?

Hooray! Ed will smell the farts!
  • Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.

People keep bringing up the bribery without historical context, in terms of the time it wasn't anything that notable.

Equally it's highly questionable if it made any difference at all, since iirc most of the recipients were heavily pro-union anyway (the ostensible reason for the money was due to the loss of salaried posts from the dissolution of the Scottish parliament).

Unsurprisingly the modern politics hangs over the historical assessments.
  • Options
    Islamic State (IS) has released a video appearing to show the beheading of a Kurdish man as a warning to forces fighting the group in northern Iraq.

The video, entitled a Message in Blood, shows several men in orange jumpsuits said to be captured Kurdish fighters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28975638
  • Options
    dyedwoolie Yes, a big swing to the Whigs
  • Options
    Ed Miliband orders inquiry into why Ed Miliband has been so quiet regarding events in Rotherham.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.

People keep bringing up the bribery without historical context, in terms of the time it wasn't anything that notable.

Equally it's highly questionable if it made any difference at all, since iirc most of the recipients were heavily pro-union anyway (the ostensible reason for the money was due to the loss of salaried posts from the dissolution of the Scottish parliament).

Queensbury's mob swung the vote. He made good wonga.
    Not unusual, but it's not like the past never bites you on the arse.
    Night all
  • Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.

Queensbury's mob swung the vote. He made good wonga.
    Not unusual, but it's not like the past never bites you on the arse.
    Night all
    *shrugs* I disagree.
  • Options
    FU Typical ISIS The US airstrikes will need to continue for some time to come to support Kurdish troops on the ground, hopefully ISIS will eventually be caught in a pincer movement hemmed in by the Kurds, Iraqi government and Assad's forces
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Why isn't there a thread for Liam Payne's 21st birthday?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Any reliable data on number of postal ballots? The voting has already started.....
  • Options
    Survation tables are up:

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Scottish-DM-2nd-Debate-Tables.pdf

A few snippets:

Definitely will vote:
    Yes: 85
    No: 88

No lead:
    Men: +2 (DK: 8)
    Women: +10 (DK: 13)

While Salmond is seen as the clear winner of the debate, the shift in "more likely to vote Yes" largely driven by SNP voters (36%) , while Labour voters pretty evenly split, 20% yes, 18% no. For the majority (63%) it's made no difference.
  • Options
    Latest "Poll of Polls" with postal voting started its 56:44

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/08/poll-of-polls-28-august/
  • Options
    Small base sizes - so no more than "straws in the wind"

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed
    Full time: -4
    Part time: -2
    Unemployed: -26
    Students: +36
    Retired: +28

So, who will go out and vote? Students, pensioners or the unemployed?
  • Options

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

They all have plenty of time to vote ;-). Suprised about the +36 for students though?
  • Options
    RobD said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

They all have plenty of time to vote ;-). Suprised about the +36 for students though?
    Some of them have voted already......
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

Huh. Apart from the retired, all those categories are pretty much the reverse of what I would've expected.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Danny565 said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

Huh. Apart from the retired, all those categories are pretty much the reverse of what I would've expected.

Really? Why on earth would you expect the unemployed to vote for the status quo? Do you think life on benefits in Glasgow is a wonderful thing that must be protected at all costs ?

The less stake people have in society the more likely they are to vote for change.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

The only reasonably big base sizes are "employed" (within MOE either way) and "retired" (clearly "no")

That said, both the under 24s and over 55s are the least keen on independence.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

Danny565 said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

Really? Why on earth would you expect the unemployed to vote for the status quo? Do you think life on benefits in Glasgow is a wonderful thing that must be protected at all costs ?

The less stake people have in society the more likely they are to vote for change.
    it's interesting that you feel that unemployed people have a reduced stake in society
  • Options

Danny565 said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

it's interesting that you feel that unemployed people have a reduced stake in society
    While we should all have the same stake in "society" I fully understand why the unemployed would feel much less allegiance to a status quo which they may feel has ill served them.

Whether Independence will serve them any better is another matter entirely.

If they do go out and vote I hope they keep voting in subsequent elections...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Interesting that the debates do appear to have had some influence in shifting the ‘undecided’ voters - could be wrong but it looks like an even split, favouring neither one nor tother.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Also rubbish.
    Might have been 72%.

It wasn't bribery, it was a conditional bailout ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Interesting that the debates do appear to have had some influence in shifting the ‘undecided’ voters - could be wrong but it looks like an even split, favouring neither one nor tother.

If we discount SNP voters who say the debate made them more likely to vote "yes" (36%) and Tory voters who said it made them more likely to vote "no" (27%)....neither of whom I much believe......

Yes/no/no difference:
    Lab: 20/18/61
    Lib: 13/12/75
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    History tells us the poor have less stake in society, it was the lesson of 1789 and many others
  • Options

History tells us the poor have less stake in society, it was the lesson of 1789 and many others

I think you are disagreeing about terminology.

Of course they have an equal stake in society in the sense of civic duties and rights.

But in an economic sense, as the relative losers in the status quo, they have a greater incentive to seek radical change
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Danny565 said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

I misread the unemployed figure and thought it was giving a lead for "No". You're right, unemployed people voting for independence is expected.
  • Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    RobD said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

Seems entirely logical to me.

1) many are probably not Scottish anyway
    2) (assuming students includes pre-university) independence puts a big question mark over the sustainability of free university tuition considering the obvious illegality of continued charging of the English
    3) as Salmond himself stated - 30k young Scots leave Scotland every year (usually to other areas in the UK - these people are not going to see rUK as a 'foreign country')
    4) linked to 3) - the young are least likely to see Scotland as their permanent home (at least in the short term). Older people are more likely to have made a choice to have based themselves in Scotland for the long term.

• Options
    Reverting briefly if I may to the Clacton by-election, I find it very surprising in the absence of any specific polling evidence that the bookies and therefore by implication the betting fraternity are able to predict with such apparent near certainty, well with at least 80% confidence by reference to those 1/4 odds that UKIP are set to capture this seat from the Tories, having not even fielded a candidate in 2010 and despite the Tories having won an outright, 53% majority of the votes cast and in the process achieving a majority in excess of 12,000 over Labour.
    My initial knee jerk reaction was to consider backing the Tories to retain this seat at Paddy Power's seemingly generous odds of 10/3, yet I managed to contain myself, realising on reflection that overwhelmingly the market gets it right on such issues (just as it probably will three weeks hence as regards the Scottish Indy referendum).
    What this proves, to me at least, is just how weak are people's political convictions. Indeed they must be virtually non-existent to produce a result such as this.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

I misread the unemployed figure and thought it was giving a lead for "No". You're right, unemployed people voting for independence is expected.
    It may be more to do with the specific issue of the bedroom tax. Although i agree in general, one could play devil's advocate. The (long term) unemployed are the most dependent on the state - their entire life is dependent on what the state will give them. They are also the most vulnerable (along with pensioners) in the event that it all goes wrong - fewer options to up sticks and move to rUK (they would have done it already if they wanted). An independent Scotland would have to uncover quite serious riches before much changed for the better - they're not going to start giving money away.

Nothing like a bit of broad sweeping generalisation at 6.30am.

• Options
    Alex, once one of PB's ever present and most active posters, I've just noticed your return after an extended absence.
    Welcome back.
  • Options

My initial knee jerk reaction was to consider backing the Tories to retain this seat at Paddy Power's seemingly generous odds of 10/3, yet I managed to contain myself, realising on reflection that overwhelmingly the market gets it right on such issues (just as it probably will three weeks hence as regards the Scottish Indy referendum).
    What this proves, to me at least, is just how weak are people's political convictions. Indeed they must be virtually non-existent to produce a result such as this.

Surely this isn't a market talking, just a bookmaker's initial judgement to how the market will react? There is no market until significant money has been put down.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Reverting briefly if I may to the Clacton by-election, I find it very surprising in the absence of any specific polling evidence that the bookies and therefore by implication the betting fraternity are able to predict with such apparent near certainty, well with at least 80% confidence by reference to those 1/4 odds that UKIP are set to capture this seat from the Tories, having not even fielded a candidate in 2010 and despite the Tories having won an outright, 53% majority of the votes cast and in the process achieving a majority in excess of 12,000 over Labour.

My instinct is to agree. Personal votes - from recollection usually worth around 500-1,000. Doubt that anyone will be much more than that. Most constituents won't really know him.

Clearly there will be an insurgency angle to UKIP but surely a lot of it has to be down to whether they can get the Tory organisation to shift over with Carswell.

I've got to say that I am very very sceptical about his ability to use the canvassing data. Even if he was legally collecting it separately, which I struggle to understand (firstly did he collect it all himself, vs. representatives of the Conservative Party) arguably he could have been collecting under false pretences [turn up with a blue rosette, say I'm your local Tory MP, give me your data - and btw I own it not the party]. In any event it strikes me as a serious breach of good faith on his part - even if legal - and makes me think a lot less highly of him.

The Tories can win this - if they keep their nerve, select a good local candidate (I like the idea of an open primary - try to appeal to LD/Lab/Independents that way) and flood the seat.

As for value, I don't have a view - not a serious gambler. But an 80% probability instinctively feels high.
  • Options

Alex, once one of PB's ever present and most active posters, I've just noticed your return after an extended absence.
    Welcome back.

alex, not Alex ;)

Only recently noticed the comments registration process was less onerous. Probably only a fleeting visit though hopefully - commenting on pb.com is disastrous for regular good night's sleep.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Smarmeron said:

@HYUFD
    Nahh, his last throw is to declare UDI, and make a last stand at the local curry house

I thought he had it delivered in a taxi?

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    alex said:

Welcome back.

alex, not Alex ;)

Only recently noticed the comments registration process was less onerous. Probably only a fleeting visit though hopefully - commenting on pb.com is disastrous for regular good night's sleep.

When I saw you first posting last week, I did wonder whether alex was THE alex of yesteryear and was tempted to ask but PfP has done the dirty deed. Welcome back indeed after what 5 or 6 years absence?
  • Options
    Charles said:

My instinct is to agree. Personal votes - from recollection usually worth around 500-1,000. Doubt that anyone will be much more than that. Most constituents won't really know him.

Clearly there will be an insurgency angle to UKIP but surely a lot of it has to be down to whether they can get the Tory organisation to shift over with Carswell.

I've got to say that I am very very sceptical about his ability to use the canvassing data. Even if he was legally collecting it separately, which I struggle to understand (firstly did he collect it all himself, vs. representatives of the Conservative Party) arguably he could have been collecting under false pretences [turn up with a blue rosette, say I'm your local Tory MP, give me your data - and btw I own it not the party]. In any event it strikes me as a serious breach of good faith on his part - even if legal - and makes me think a lot less highly of him.

The Tories can win this - if they keep their nerve, select a good local candidate (I like the idea of an open primary - try to appeal to LD/Lab/Independents that way) and flood the seat.

As for value, I don't have a view - not a serious gambler. But an 80% probability instinctively feels high.
    There's a two word answer to you, Charles: George Galloway.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    edited August 2014
    There has just been an interesting interview with a care worker who worked at Rotherham from 2003. It *sounds* like the staff on the ground were put in an intolerable position: they mostly did the right thing such as recording the number plates of visiting cars, but nothing ever happened when they passed the data up the chain.

Many of the taxi drivers were paid from the council's account as they drove the girls to school, and were groomed on those journeys. One taxi driver was banned from council business as a potential paedophile, but none of the Asian drivers were.

Girls would escape at night via the fire escape, or even using knotted sheets out of first-floor windows.

Another point mentioned: many of these girls had been sexually abused before they went into care by their families, and the one thing that the care system could give them was familial love.

If true, it leads to some interesting questions about how we can protect children in care?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,325
    As I commented last night the Tory performance in Newark was probably the best Tory performance (in terms of organisation and commitment) that I have seen in my life time. They overwhelmed UKIP on the ground.

I heard Farage on R5 yesterday. His suggestion was that if Carswell held his seat there would be other Carswells. Doesn't say a lot for the moral fibre of the potential recruits but he is probably right. What I think people are not focussing enough on is that the reverse is also probably true. This is high stakes.

With the loyalty usually shown by Conservative supporters, especially in proximity to an election, I think the Tories are the value bet here. UKIP favourite but the Tories are value.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    edited August 2014
    I wonder if in Clacton the personal vote for the Labour candidate is being undervalued? Assuming it’s Ivan Henderson again he’s well known, former MP for at least part of the area, and a District and County Councillor. If he can hold his 10,000 and pick up the local Red Liberals he could come through the middle while Tories and UKIP slug it out.

Further the current UKIP PPC was on the local TV last night being distinctly unimpressed about being hi-jacxked by Carswell.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    DavidL said:

As I commented last night the Tory performance in Newark was probably the best Tory performance (in terms of organisation and commitment) that I have seen in my life time. They overwhelmed UKIP on the ground.

I heard Farage on R5 yesterday. His suggestion was that if Carswell held his seat there would be other Carswells. Doesn't say a lot for the moral fibre of the potential recruits but he is probably right. What I think people are not focussing enough on is that the reverse is also probably true. This is high stakes.

With the loyalty usually shown by Conservative supporters, especially in proximity to an election, I think the Tories are the value bet here. UKIP favourite but the Tories are value.

It depends on quite a number of things, doesn't it?

My questions would be:

1) How much of Carswell's vote was personal (on the assumption he will carry it across)?

2) How many constituents will be annoyed with him for defecting and see it as grandstanding for personal gain, and how many will see it as a principled decision that deserves rewarding (I'm not saying either is necessarily true, just that that's how most people will see it)

3) How much money/other resources will UKIP be able to muster at short notice, bearing in mind they don't seem to have had much advanced warning?

4) Will the Conservatives choose a candidate from the local party to go with local knowledge, or given the short notice will they parachute in a candidate from the centre who is already on the approved list?

5) How many people will bother to vote?

Because until we have some idea of the answers to those questions, making judgements on the odds or even the value seems to me to be at best pointless and at worst blind guesswork. I think I'm right in saying it's 80 years since a defecting MP resigned their seat to fight a by-election for a new party (the Ulster Unionists over Sunningdale excepted) so there isn't much data to go on.
  • Options

I wonder if in Clacton the personal vote for the Labour candidate is being undervalued? Assuming it’s Ivan Henderson again he’s well known, former MP for at least part of the area, and a District and County Councillor. If he can hold his 10,000 and pick up the local Red Liberals he could come through the middle while Tories and UKIP sliug it out.

Further the curent UKIP PPC was on the local TV last night being distinctly unimpressed about being hi-jacxked by Carswell.

I think the Labour vote will once again be severely squeezed in Clacton. Which way they split may well turn out to be key. A lot will depend on the Tory candidate. Get the right sort of candidate and we may well see an anti-UKIP vote similar to what the tories have suffered in the past. The detoxification of the Tories could get a real boost here.

Or they could lose, lose 6 or 7 more MPs and fall into civil war shortly before an election. It won't be dull, that is for sure.

• Options
    JohnO said:

alex said:

Welcome back.

alex, not Alex ;)

When I saw you first posting last week, I did wonder whether alex was THE alex of yesteryear and was tempted to ask but PfP has done the dirty deed. Welcome back indeed after what 5 or 6 years absence?
    4 and a bit i should think. This definitely qualified as a relapse.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,013
    HYUFD said:

RobD If it is this with Survation it will likely be a bigger No lead with yougov, either way the Union looks likely to stay, the question is the margin now, Salmond has had his last throw of the dice

You are clueless but persistent. Sticking your head up your arse and then claiming you know the answer is pretty stupid.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    THE 12 WHO DECIDED IT WERE NOT ORDINARY PUNTERS, THEY WERE BLOOD SUCKING PARASITICAL TORIES. They have never changed and suck the country dry to this day.
  • Options
    RobD said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    Yeah, I could understand a 'majority'.. but 99%, awfully too specific.
    It was an underestimate
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: UKIP's Roger Lord accuses Carswell of defecting just to save seat: "There's water around his ankles, he's got nowhere else to go". #r4today
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

It depends on quite a number of things, doesn't it?

My questions would be:

1) How much of Carswell's vote was personal (on the assumption he will carry it across)?

2) How many constituents will be annoyed with him for defecting and see it as grandstanding for personal gain, and how many will see it as a principled decision that deserves rewarding (I'm not saying either is necessarily true, just that that's how most people will see it)

3) How much money/other resources will UKIP be able to muster at short notice, bearing in mind they don't seem to have had much advanced warning?

4) Will the Conservatives choose a candidate from the local party to go with local knowledge, or given the short notice will they parachute in a candidate from the centre who is already on the approved list?

5) How many people will bother to vote?

Because until we have some idea of the answers to those questions, making judgements on the odds or even the value seems to me to be at best pointless and at worst blind guesswork. I think I'm right in saying it's 80 years since a defecting MP resigned their seat to fight a by-election for a new party (the Ulster Unionists over Sunningdale excepted) so there isn't much data to go on.

On (3) Farage said that they had been having "serious" discussions with Carswell since the summer so, at least at national level, they had a lot more notice than anyone else. No one seems to have told anyone on the local party though.

(4) would be a mistake if there is a credible local available. Ideally someone female, worked in the public sector for a long time and with a smidgeon of experience. A Sarah Wolloston (sp?) type candidate would be ideal and the selection of such a candidate will change the odds.

On your general comment are we not again forgetting the tory who joined the SDP, stood in a by election and lost?
  • Options
    alex said:

Surely this isn't a market talking, just a bookmaker's initial judgement to how the market will react? There is no market until significant money has been put down.

No, alex (see I got it right!) - the market reacts very quickly and very strongly if it believes the bookies have mis-priced a bet.
    In this case when Mike first announced Carswell's defection, he referred to Paddy Power's opening price for the ensuing by-election as being 4/6. Within half an hour the sheer weight of money placed with this and other bookies had reduced this price to 1/3, before it soon shortened further to 1/4.
    As usual, Betfair was behind the game in offering this market but thus far out of a total value of £2404 matched bets, £2264 (94% has been wagered on UKIP, £101 on the Tories and a la-la land £39 on Labour.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    DavidL said:

I wonder if in Clacton the personal vote for the Labour candidate is being undervalued? Assuming it’s Ivan Henderson again he’s well known, former MP for at least part of the area, and a District and County Councillor. If he can hold his 10,000 and pick up the local Red Liberals he could come through the middle while Tories and UKIP sliug it out.

Further the curent UKIP PPC was on the local TV last night being distinctly unimpressed about being hi-jacxked by Carswell.

I think the Labour vote will once again be severely squeezed in Clacton. Which way they split may well turn out to be key. A lot will depend on the Tory candidate. Get the right sort of candidate and we may well see an anti-UKIP vote similar to what the tories have suffered in the past. The detoxification of the Tories could get a real boost here.

Or they could lose, lose 6 or 7 more MPs and fall into civil war shortly before an election. It won't be dull, that is for sure.

The other key issue will be how many Conservative councillors and activists go over to UKIP.

• Options
    RobD said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

You should be its bollocks
  • Options

Danny565 said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

The only reasonably big base sizes are "employed" (within MOE either way) and "retired" (clearly "no")

That said, both the under 24s and over 55s are the least keen on independence.
    Yes , 3 students weighted by unionists, voodoo numbers. Unionists looking for crumbs of comfort.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

corporeal said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Rubbish.
    THE 12 WHO DECIDED IT WERE NOT ORDINARY PUNTERS, THEY WERE BLOOD SUCKING PARASITICAL TORIES. They have never changed and suck the country dry to this day.
    The Better Together site has a clock counting down the days, hours and minutes until this is over. Some posters might find this useful:

http://bettertogether.net/

• Options

Danny565 said:

No lead (excl DK)
    Employed

They have no stake in society , the Tories are knocking the crap out of them for daring to be unemployed, and they have thrown in the disabled for choosing to be disabled to boot.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    "The gap is just 6%" and that's the best "Yes" can do
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    If the Telegraph stuff is true, some heads will be rolling. The front page of the Metro damns the police.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11062758/Scandal-hit-Rotherham-deleted-abuse-files.html

No wonder so many tried to spin that the press was out of control and needed more regulation.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: UKIP's Roger Lord accuses Carswell of defecting just to save seat: "There's water around his ankles, he's got nowhere else to go". #r4today

This man is definitely adding to the gaiety of the nation. Not that he or Carswell approve of anything like that of course.

This discussion has been closed.