Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ukip get to within just 2 points of the Tories in new Surva

13»

Comments

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2013
    I did state at the time that the referendum rebellion in 2011 marked the beginning of the end for Cameron. Some mocked that.

Hindsight?
    "TC_PoliticalBetting 24/10/2011 6.30pm
    What are the metrics in the number of Conservatives that actually vote for the referendum motion? ..... 100+ = Cameron would see a challenger before GE 2015, ... after the European elections if UKIP push ahead of the Conservatives in those elections. "
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

One thing that has struck me as strange about this evening is that no one has yet apparently made the most obvious point about this poll which is it might just be a very strange outlier.

I can only assume that people are accepting it because it matches their preconceptions of the current narrative. The interesting point is that the validity of that narrative seems to be being accepted by almost everyone right across the board irrespective of party. The only difference between the sides appears to be in the way people explain the narrative or defend against it based on their own allegiances.

Since it is the party I support which does best out of this poll I think it is only fair that I point out that this might just be a rogue (for all that I want to agree with it)

The UKIP number is not an outlier. They've recently had 20% from Opinium (who prompt for UKIP), 19% from ComRes (who do not prompt for UKIP), and 18% from ICM (who do not prompt for UKIP).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2013
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Toms said:

To repeat the obvious.
    Although it adds to the fun of the roller coaster ride, this poll overstates the case. The UKIP effect is clearly damaging the Tories, but there will be nothing so focussing as the bare voting booth (where decisions are final and UKIPian policies will have been considered) and fear of and loathing for the lefties. Still, it may lose the Tories the next election.

• Options
    tim said:

@jameschappers: Brutal blue on blue RT "@TimMontgomerie: Does Janan Ganesh writes his own OpEds or does Number 11 dictate them directly?"

More hack attack than blue on blue, tim.

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    edited May 2013
    The betting markets appear unmoved by all this UKIPpery.

For those who think the surge will last, there are many good bets available. My pick would be the 2/1 offered by Hills about the Kippers winning 1-5 seats at the GE. It seems to me almost inconceivable they will fail to get any seat (6/4 against with Lads look another snip) but more than 5 would be a big ask.

The price will surely shorten as the Election nears, giving ample opportunity for hedging.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    It's clearly not a good poll for the Tories, indeed, it's been a bad week overall. That is indisputable, and yet, "not a good poll for the Tories" has Labour at an 11pt lead when leads of 15pts marked even recent history. it's like the Tories are winning the battle but losing the war.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    Just out of interest I did a Yougov VI poll this evening with supplementaries on Child Poverty and an EU referendum. Does anyone know when that poll will appear. I assume tomorrow evening? Just wondering how the daily polls work.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Socrates said:

@Sean_F

It shows just how horrendous the Conservative brand is. For all their sins, I don't blame it entirely on Cameron and Osborne - a big part of it much be down to the legacy of Thatcher, rightly or wrongly. If FPTP survives the next election, it much be imperative for the next Conservative leader to seek a merger with UKIP, and to get rid of the "Tory" name in the meantime.

It goes way back before Thatcher.

To many working class people the Conservatives are the party of the 'rich', the 'posh', the 'bosses', the bankers, the pit owners and landowners, the officers.

The people who ordered them about and lived in a big house.

There is an element of middle class leftism which has a Pavlovian response to the name Thatcher, but they're never going to vote Conservative in any case.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I remember thinking at the time that there were a fair few sourpuss-faced non-applauders in the audience beyond the front rows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MGNfYKiY7A
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,709
    Excellent Panorama documentary on Hillsborough...which curiously omitted Mrs Thatcher's role in the coverup...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    That Panorama documentary was shocking and sickening.

Some people deserve to rot in hell.
  • Options
    Can someone please explain to me why it is necessary to keep Civil Partnerships? Can they not be made equivalent in law to Same Sex Marriage, with the option to convert and grandfathered rights for those declining conversion?
  • Options

Just out of interest I did a Yougov VI poll this evening with supplementaries on Child Poverty and an EU referendum. Does anyone know when that poll will appear. I assume tomorrow evening? Just wondering how the daily polls work.

Assuming it is for the daily tracker, this poll will be the one that is published tomorrow night/early wednesday morning.
  • Options

One thing that has struck me as strange about this evening is that no one has yet apparently made the most obvious point about this poll which is it might just be a very strange outlier.

I can only assume that people are accepting it because it matches their preconceptions of the current narrative. The interesting point is that the validity of that narrative seems to be being accepted by almost everyone right across the board irrespective of party. The only difference between the sides appears to be in the way people explain the narrative or defend against it based on their own allegiances.

Since it is the party I support which does best out of this poll I think it is only fair that I point out that this might just be a rogue (for all that I want to agree with it)

Indeed, Richard.

Strictly speaking though, it is as likely to be understating as overstating the true level of UKIP support. It is as likely to 25% as 19%.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Can someone please explain to me why it is necessary to keep Civil Partnerships? Can they not be made equivalent in law to Same Sex Marriage, with the option to convert and grandfathered rights for those declining conversion?

I don't know why, but I do agree that there should only be one type of marriage.

• Options
    Ladbrokes Politics @LadPolitics
    Next Tory leader odds: 4 Boris 5 May 10 Hague 10 Hammond 10 Gove 12 Davis 16 Osborne 20 Herbert 20 Hunt 25 Fox.

I disagree. Hague and Osborne are way too short odds. Hague and Osborne are far too tainted with the Europhile policies and Cameron.
  • Options
    "Guido FawkesVerified account ‏@GuidoFawkes 2h
    Reader emailed me today to say she was in tears after reading about #Loonygate. Cynics (like me) forget good people volunteer their time."

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/336561110964658177
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    tim said:

@MirrorJames: Ed Mili and Yvette Cooper to vote against the @timloughton ammendment. Labour say Cameron didnt have the numbers to defeat it alone.

@nicholaswatt: Lab source: eleventh hour appeal from govt that they did not have the numbers. Made repeated approaches to us at ever increasing levels

There are some things that are more important than playing politics. I know this will play well for Labour but good on Miliband for making sure the legislation is passed. There are other ways he could have handled this, some of which might have caused even more grief for the Tories but ensuring first and foremost that the bill gets through is a sign of someone who is acting in a principled way.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Back in February I did a thread saying that we might be approaching Cameron's Götterdämmerung.

I think more polling like this, with the phone pollsters, then I will be right.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Sean_F said:

There's considerable continuity between the IRA of the 1970s, and its counterpart in the 1920s.

While there is a continuous history the vast majority of the IRA of the independence movement ended up in organisations that became reconciled to the existence of the 26 county state (and indeed that have run it ever since). And I doubt that even 10% of the membership of the Provisional IRA in the mid 1970s were members even 10 years before that.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2013
    Aye 391
    No 57

I lost count on what they are voting on now!
  • Options
    Carola said:

I remember thinking at the time that there were a fair few sourpuss-faced non-applauders in the audience beyond the front rows.

If you watch carefully you can see their eyes swivel.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

To repeat the obvious.
    Although it adds to the fun of the roller coaster ride, this poll overstates the case. The UKIP effect is clearly damaging the Tories, but there will be nothing so focussing as the bare voting booth (where decisions are final and UKIPian policies will have been considered) and fear of and loathing for the lefties. Still, it may lose the Tories the next election.

Dave can reissue this poster. That will focus people's minds:

http://www.ukbudgetcuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/cameron-nhs-poster.jpg
  • Options

Next Tory leader odds: 4 Boris 5 May 10 Hague 10 Hammond 10 Gove 12 Davis 16 Osborne 20 Herbert 20 Hunt 25 Fox.

I disagree. Hague and Osborne are way too short odds. Hague and Osborne are far too tainted with the Europhile policies and Cameron.

I agree, TC.

I would certainly put a line through Hague and Osborne.

Personally I think Boris is poor value, if only because he's not an MP. At present though, it is much easier to delete candidates than nominate a strong one.

May....maybe?

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

Charles - Maybe, but we have been giving aid to India until recently despite its growth and why should overseas aid not have to face the same cuts as the armed forces, libraries, social services, the police, legal aid, welfare etc?

0.7% of GDP is a bullsh1t number - Greening's department struggles to find productive uses & plenty of money is given away via multinational organisations where we don't control the aims, the pupose, the destination or get the credit. Daft.

My spending priorities would be (no idea how much it adds up to, but probably less than current spending:

1. Supporting worthwhile strategic assets (like the World Service, British Council) etc that are currently funded by the BBC or the FCO.

2. Covering cost of MoD peacekeeping expeditions

3. Matching or double matching UK taxpayers charitable giving

4. Money to combat current radicalism

5. Investment to try and reduce the risk of future radicalism
  • Options
    tim said:

@MirrorJames: Ed Mili and Yvette Cooper to vote against the @timloughton ammendment. Labour say Cameron didnt have the numbers to defeat it alone.

@nicholaswatt: Lab source: eleventh hour appeal from govt that they did not have the numbers. Made repeated approaches to us at ever increasing levels

Poor Ed. A principled and tactically clever move goes unrewarded.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

tim said:

There are some things that are more important than playing politics. I know this will play well for Labour but good on Miliband for making sure the legislation is passed. There are other ways he could have handled this, some of which might have caused even more grief for the Tories but ensuring first and foremost that the bill gets through is a sign of someone who is acting in a principled way.
    Yeah. Agree with that. If two people love each other and want to marry, I can't see why they should be prevented due to their sexual orientation. So yes Ed did the right thing by them.
  • Options

I agree, TC.

Personally I think Boris is poor value, if only because he's not an MP. At present though, it is much easier to delete candidates than nominate a strong one.

May....maybe?

It'll be all about the polling.

If some polls show the Tories do significantly better with Boris in charge, then anything is possible.

Just remember the PM doesn't have to be an MP.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

I did state at the time that the referendum rebellion in 2011 marked the beginning of the end for Cameron. Some mocked that.

Hindsight?
    What are the metrics in the number of Conservatives that actually vote for the referendum motion? ..... 100+ = Cameron would see a challenger before GE 2015, ... after the European elections if UKIP push ahead of the Conservatives in those elections. "

Cameron when negotiating with the lib dems should have had a EU referendum first on his and the conservatives list of demands in the first 5 years,he could have lanced the Tory/ukip EU boil but then again,he sent oliver letwin to do the negotiations ;-)

• Options

Aye 391
    No 57

I lost count on what they are voting on now!

Me too, Andrea. I have just gloated at tim without foundation.
  • Options
    Now they are voting on Loughton's clause
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited May 2013
    Stephen Fry responds to Gerald Howarth 'there were are plenty of people "in the aggressive homosexual community who see this as but a stepping stone to something even further" ?? 'Yes, Sir Gerald, it's a stepping stone to legislation that makes it illegal to be heterosexual'
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Cammo may be bad at politics but .....

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benedictbrogan/100217929/cameron-shouldnt-blame-our-rowdy-press-for-his-own-failings/

What we have seen in recent weeks is that politics is a messy business, not least when it is done badly. Mr Cameron is fortunate that much of it will have passed the voters by. The fundamentals continue to favour him. The economy is gradually coming good, the Tories are the only party to offer Britain a say on Europe, his core policies on welfare and education are succeeding, and Ed Miliband is presiding over a slow-motion slump in Labour support.
  • Options
    tim said:

I agree, TC.

May....maybe?

Did I mention that Theresa May was 66/1 next PM last Autumn?
    Quiet now Tim, or you'll have Mike on to remind us about his Barack Obama tip....
  • Options

Carola said:

If you watch carefully you can see their eyes swivel.
    You're right! I thought they were just nodding off.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles - Maybe, but we have been giving aid to India until recently despite its growth and why should overseas aid not have to face the same cuts as the armed forces, libraries, social services, the police, legal aid, welfare etc?

0.7% of GDP is a bullsh1t number - Greening's department struggles to find productive uses & plenty of money is given away via multinational organisations where we don't control the aims, the pupose, the destination or get the credit. Daft.

My spending priorities would be (no idea how much it adds up to, but probably less than current spending:

1. Supporting worthwhile strategic assets (like the World Service, British Council) etc that are currently funded by the BBC or the FCO.

2. Covering cost of MoD peacekeeping expeditions

3. Matching or double matching UK taxpayers charitable giving

4. Money to combat current radicalism

5. Investment to try and reduce the risk of future radicalism
    Aid to Pakistan 170 million GBP p.a.
    "Aid" to the EU 18 BILLION GBP p.a.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    On a more serious issue...Italian RAI published the Eurovision televote figures.
    Poor Bonnie finished 25th out of 26...but she beated France for last place.

And who was the winner of Italian televote? Search for immigration stats and you will get the top 3
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
  • Options
    Neil said:

Sean_F said:

There's considerable continuity between the IRA of the 1970s, and its counterpart in the 1920s.

While there is a continuous history the vast majority of the IRA of the independence movement ended up in organisations that became reconciled to the existence of the 26 county state (and indeed that have run it ever since). And I doubt that even 10% of the membership of the Provisional IRA in the mid 1970s were members even 10 years before that.

And the modern UVF had nothing to do with the organisation my cousin founded!
  • Options

On a more serious issue...Italian RAI published the Eurovision televote figures.
    Poor Bonnie finished 25th out of 26...but she beated France for last place.

And who was the winner of Italian televote? Search for immigration stats and you will get the top 2

Romania and Greece?
  • Options
    Charles said:

They were far too working class for anyone to have made that mistake, Charles.
  • Options

Hindsight?

Cameron when negotiating with the lib dems should have had a EU referendum first on his and the conservatives list of demands in the first 5 years,he could have lanced the Tory/ukip EU boil but then again,he sent oliver letwin to do the negotiations ;-)

There does seem to have been a series of assumptions about what the LibDems would or would not accept. Odd negotiating tactic to give up controversial issues without discussion
  • Options
    Aye 70
    No 375
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    MikeK said:

@frank_fisher
    @TimMontgomerie @GuidoFawkes I was at a UKIP meeting 30 mins ago - they have had 900 new member applications in last 48 hrs. #Omnishambles

Blimey! UKIP will have to get a new office and draft some additional helpers.

Maybe a few (costed) policies would help as well:)
  • Options
    There's a story emerging about Boris, which may or may not damage his leadership chances.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Did we know about Boris and his lovechild already? I'd just assumed he had a few of them:

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/336594646962667522/photo/1
  • Options
    @Sunil

Romania, Moldova and Ukraine. Greece was 4th
  • Options

There's a story emerging about Boris, which may or may not damage his leadership chances.

Please don't say it's a wig. :-(

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2013

For those who think the surge will last, there are many good bets available. My pick would be the 2/1 offered by Hills about the Kippers winning 1-5 seats at the GE. It seems to me almost inconceivable they will fail to get any seat (6/4 against with Lads look another snip) but more than 5 would be a big ask.

I wouldn't touch any of them.

How many seats did the SDP win in 1983, which weren't...

i) fought by incumbents
    ii) a former Liberal seat the Liberals unaccountably stood down in

Answer?

None, and they only came within spitting distance in two others.

And that's with the Gang of Four, by-election victories, 30 MPs in the House, and having touched 50% (with the Libs) in the polls, etc.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Neil said:

Charles said:

IIRC, cousin Eddie's UVF had 100,000 troops (out of the 218,000 men who signed the Covenant). There aren't that many posh people in the whole of Ireland, let alone the North ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

It's official, he's the Daddy of this kid

Article is a couple of years old.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353077/London-Mayor-Boris-Johnson-father-Helen-Macintyres-lovechild.html
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    tim said:

Daily Mail has Boris' "love child" story on the front page.
    Assume it's the one everyone knows about

Is he still trying to redefine marriage? ;)

• Options
    Neil said:

Charles said:

Even the Irish Labour Party have a slight link to Sinn Fein. How?

After the Officials split from the Provos in 1970, there was another split a few years later within the Officials that produced the INLA and (eventually) the Workers Party. The Workers Party split in 1992 to produce Democratic Left. When DL wound up in 1999, most members joined the ILP.
  • Options
    @TSE

He better get his name on the birth cert or there will be lots of pb-ers complaining about his lack of commitment!
  • Options

Also front of mail - headline.

The GPs who don't even know your name.

What do you expect at my local health centre,alot of the new patients are from Eastern Europe.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@TSE

He better get his name on the birth cert or there will be lots of pb-ers complaining about his lack of commitment!

Can I apologise to you and all gays for the moronic comments made by Sir Gerald Howarth.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread - Marf on the loons
  • Options

It's official, he's the Daddy of this kid

Article is a couple of years old.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353077/London-Mayor-Boris-Johnson-father-Helen-Macintyres-lovechild.html
    Ancient news. The Mirror covered the story as early as 2010.
  • Options

The Irish Labour Party has a more direct link to the independence movement through the Irish Citizen Army. Though the stickies didnt just join up with the Irish Labour Party - they practically performed a reverse take-over (the last two leaders were ex-stickies).
  • Options
    Neil said:

The Irish Labour Party has a more direct link to the independence movement through the Irish Citizen Army. Though the stickies didnt just join up with the Irish Labour Party - they practically performed a reverse take-over (the last two leaders were ex-stickies).
    Ah yes I forgot about James Connolly!
  • Options
    Camerons hoping by 2015 GE(if it gets that far) It's a choice between - PM Cameron or PM Miliband and if Cameron or tory strategist are going on this,they have a point ;-)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Also front of mail - headline.

The GPs who don't even know your name.

What do you expect at my local health centre,alot of the new patients are from Eastern Europe.

If you privatise out of hours services like Labour did over the last decade, then what do you expect but a faceless call center.

The idea that you can call out your GP in the night and expect him to run a surgery and the next day is history. In america "house calls" disappeared about the time Elvis was drafted. I am surprised that they lasted as long as they did here.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Grandiose

It's clearly not a good poll for the Tories, indeed, it's been a bad week overall. That is indisputable, and yet, "not a good poll for the Tories" has Labour at an 11pt lead when leads of 15pts marked even recent history'

And when we had real votes less than three weeks ago Labour managed a miserable 4% lead.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    The John Major and Edwina Currie affair shocked me. (About him, not her).This? Nah!
    Carola said:

Did we know about Boris and his lovechild already? I'd just assumed he had a few of them:

This discussion has been closed.