Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We have cross-over with Populus online. CON 36% LAB 35%

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    You want him to sort out the crappy EU economies so they will buy more of our stuff ?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited August 2014
    FalseFlag said:

Kiev threatening to block gas transhipments through Ukraine next week. Cutting their own throats and bringing Europe down with them. Time for leadership in Europe, enough is enough, put the neo cons in Washington and their chums in Kiev back in their place. The EU economy is in enough trouble already and winter is on its way.

Ukraine itself is in collapse now, no money, tax rises, no gas, conscription introduced with the East still in rebel hands.

That Game of Thrones quote "Winter is coming" is going to be all the rage.

Didcot power station

https://www.rwe.com/web/cms/mediablob/en/320890/data/1/blob.jpg

edit: RIP
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    At the rate things are going, we will need Israel to fight ISIS.

A few threads back I mused that we would probably end up fighting the Caliphate and it looks as if this will happen sooner rather than later.

Max PB is right that Islamic extremism is the biggest threat the world faces, not just in the Middle East but within our own societies and we need to deal with it both there and here. I hope - but rather fear not - that the politicians have the guts to do what it takes but judging by the rush to appeasement of those who threaten violence by the likes of Warsi and Milliband and Clegg I'm not hopeful.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,118
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Delighted to learn the Yanks have bombed an ISIS crowd back to the stone age where they belong. Special forces should be sent in to wipe ISIS out.

So far they've said they're only going to bomb Isis forces when they threaten Erbil or Baghdad (where the US has regional command posts) and air dropping supplies elsewhere like the bods on the mountains.

They don't want to damage Isis because Isis are fighting Assad and Maliki.

Oh what a tangled web we weave ...........
    I expect it to end with different teams of CIA bods in Langley shooting at each other from behind their desks.

When one recalls that the Afghan Taliban were originally armed with CIA money ..........
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Cyclefree
    Award yourself three sticks and a chunk of flint.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    TGOHF said:

You want him to sort out the crappy EU economies so they will buy more of our stuff ?
    No, I want him to concentrate on import substitution as it's the only sensible way to cut the deficit in a world where exports are volatile.

I argued the same point with Mr Pole 4 years ago, today simply proves Osborne's a numpty.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    "Stop Nigel" underway soon.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Delighted to learn the Yanks have bombed an ISIS crowd back to the stone age where they belong. Special forces should be sent in to wipe ISIS out.

So far they've said they're only going to bomb Isis forces when they threaten Erbil or Baghdad (where the US has regional command posts) and air dropping supplies elsewhere like the bods on the mountains.

I expect it to end with different teams of CIA bods in Langley shooting at each other from behind their desks.

When one recalls that the Afghan Taliban were originally armed with CIA money ..........
    To fight the Russians. Saddam also was fighting Iran, then we fought Saddam - now we kind of need Iran onside to fight the Sunni extremists, who are supported by the Saudis.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    AndyJS said:

Justin124:

Polls are always for GB only, not including Northern Ireland.

43.2% was the figure for the whole of the UK. Labour polled 44.4% in GB in 1997.

Correct. That is the point I made myself.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Yup, flood a place full of under-employed young men with money and guns - what could possibly go wrong?

• Options
    Because the UK is booming and thus spending on imports while European nations like France aren't importing off us because they're doing the opposite?

That's a preposterous way of measuring in these circumstances what's succeeding or failing, do you want us to implement Hollande-nomics to close the gap by impoverishing us all?
  • Options
    @Pulpstar
    ......While watching Russia and keeping an eye on China, and fighting the wars on drugs, and as for Africa?
  • Options

Because the UK is booming and thus spending on imports while European nations like France aren't importing off us because they're doing the opposite?

That's a preposterous way of measuring in these circumstances what's succeeding or failing, do you want us to implement Hollande-nomics to close the gap by impoverishing us all?
    Last time I looked Osborne was impoverishing us all. Real wages are stagnant.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Even Hollande is more decisive than our PM. France are readying air strikes as well. Now of the three major western military powers only Britain stands by whistling and watching while thousands are starved to death or massacred by terrorist scum. Weak, weak, weak from Dave. Courting the Muslim vote is not worth the lives of those people.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

To fight the Russians. Saddam also was fighting Iran, then we fought Saddam - now we kind of need Iran onside to fight the Sunni extremists, who are supported by the Saudis.
    If you try and extrapolate all the possible combinations of weird future alliances set in train by this then your brain explodes.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    MaxPB said:

Even Hollande is more decisive than our PM. France are readying air strikes as well. Now of the three major western military powers only Britain stands by whistling and watching while thousands are starved to death or massacred by terrorist scum. Weak, weak, weak from Dave. Courting the Muslim vote is not worth the lives of those people.

You'll get a whole bunch of people in desperate need of a wash coming out wanting to "Stop the war" in London if we bomb ISIS. As a Londoner do you really want that ?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Wide is the gate
    and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction.
    Matthew 7:13-14

ChrisWynThom ‏@ChrisWynThom 1h
    Woman 'exposed to Ebola virus' being quarantined in Cardiff amid fears of first British case http://fb.me/1zVOuB5HH
  • Options
    @MrJones
    As a noted person once said "the definition of madness is repeating the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result" (praphrased)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited August 2014

On a (much) lighter note, it's rather pissing it down in Yorkshire.

On the same much lighter note, despite the doom sayers at the BBC (and Classic FM, to be fair) we have had a warm, dry day down here. However, Herself is out for the day and on her instructions I had to hoover the living room - where The Brute was sleeping through his celebration of International Cat's day. Well, if looks could kill ...

I am now a marked man. The best I can now hope for is a really big outdoor 5am Meow session (the one that wakes the neighbours), but I fear the worst. I think I might get, not only elephants on the upstairs landing at 0200, but also "I know you want to sleep so to help I am going to sit on your head and sing". He will probably sulk too, which means sitting with his back to Herself this evening. She will blame me, so I will get it from both directions.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

You'll get a whole bunch of people in desperate need of a wash coming out wanting to "Stop the war" in London if we bomb ISIS. As a Londoner do you really want that ?
    Better than 100,000 dead Christians, Jews, Hindus and Yezidis massacred by ISIS.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:
    "Stop Nigel" underway soon.

So now we know where Boris needs to stand.....

That would be a right royal ding-dong!

• Options

Use that line while you can AB

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/10952459/Starting-salaries-rise-at-record-rate.html

"Data from the REC/KPMG report on jobs show 38.3pc of employers had to pay more in June than in the previous month to lure staff, compared with 58.2pc who said pay had not moved and 3.5pc who were paying less.

On the survey’s indexed scale, this gave a reading of 67.4 – well above the 50 mark which separates pay increases and decreases. It was also the highest reading since the survey launched 1997. Pay has now risen for 26 months."
  • Options
    It was much simpler in 1984. Then it was only Oceania vs Eastasia or Eurasia.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    MaxPB said:

Just remember this, Arabs/Muslims who live in Israel have the right to vote, the right to own land and the right to own/run a business without interference from the state. The same cannot be said for non-Muslims in Gaza (or almost any majority Islamic country for that matter).

Your claim is that non-Muslims are not allowed to vote in Gaza? That's a bizarre claim given that non-Muslims are even given reserved seats in the Legislative Council to ensure a minimum level of representation.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    TGOHF said:

Use that line while you can AB

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/10952459/Starting-salaries-rise-at-record-rate.html

"Data from the REC/KPMG report on jobs show 38.3pc of employers had to pay more in June than in the previous month to lure staff, compared with 58.2pc who said pay had not moved and 3.5pc who were paying less.

On the survey’s indexed scale, this gave a reading of 67.4 – well above the 50 mark which separates pay increases and decreases. It was also the highest reading since the survey launched 1997. Pay has now risen for 26 months."
    It will see me quite happily up to the election H.

Osborne has been a fairly useless chancellor and the sooner he moves on the better. One day we might actually get a reformer in the job instead of Gordon Brown in slow motion.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,941
    edited August 2014
    Personally I don't blame the government for wanting to sit out another military intervention.

Last September parliament (and the media) gave a very, very clear signal that they will not tolerate any more military adventures. The whole mess was compounded by the game playing of that sh*t Ed Milliband.

Who could possibly trust Ed and thus the Labour Party on another matter of intervention?

Cameron was lucky to survive that fiasco and I don't for a second blame him for being wary in the extreme now.

People need to understand that when a government is defeated in Parliament on matters of war and peace it will inevitably have profound and long-term consequences.

Want someome to blame for our inaction now? Try Ed Milliband and the Labour Party.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Personally I don't blame the government for wanting to sit out another military intervention.

Last September parliament (and the media) gave a very, very clear signal that they will not tolerate any more military adventures. The whole mess was compounded by the game playing of that sh*t Ed Milliband.

Who could possibly trust Ed and thus the Labour Party on another matter of intervention?

Cameron was lucky to survive that fiasco and I don't for a second blame him for being wary in the extreme now.

People need to understand that when a government is defeated in Parliament on matters of war and peace it will inevitably have profound and long-term consequences.

Want someome to blame for our inaction now? Try Ed Milliband and the Labour Party.

The show Ed to be the appeasing, pandering fool that he is by calling an emergency session in Parliament and force him to vote down military intervention on a three line whip.
  • Options

On a (much) lighter note, it's rather pissing it down in Yorkshire.

On the same much lighter note, despite the doom sayers at the BBC (and Classic FM, to be fair) we have had a warm, dry day down here. However, Herself is out for the day and on her instructions I had to hoover the living room - where The Brute was sleeping through his celebration of International Cat's day. Well, if looks could kill ...

I am now a marked man. The best I can now hope for is a really big outdoor 5am Meow session (the one that wakes the neighbours), but I fear the worst. I think I might get, not only elephants on the upstairs landing at 0200, but also "I know you want to sleep so to help I am going to sit on your head and sing". He will probably sulk too, which means sitting with his back to Herself this evening. She will blame me, so I will get it from both directions.
    Cats, huh?

Can't live with 'em, can't drown 'em....
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Am I alone in thinking that there is at least a tad of difference between the situation in Syria then and that in N Iraq now?
  • Options
    Neil said:

MaxPB said:

Just remember this, Arabs/Muslims who live in Israel have the right to vote, the right to own land and the right to own/run a business without interference from the state. The same cannot be said for non-Muslims in Gaza (or almost any majority Islamic country for that matter).

Your claim is that non-Muslims are not allowed to vote in Gaza? That's a bizarre claim given that non-Muslims are even given reserved seats in the Legislative Council to ensure a minimum level of representation.
    Ah, Mr. Neil, as you obviously know far more about the politics of Gaza than the rest of us could you please answer a question I put up last night but nobody could answer?

What is the normal parliamentary term in Gaza?

The current Hamas administration was elected in 2006, the elections pencilled in for 2012 didn't happen. So when does the mandate for the government in Gaza actually run out?
  • Options

Neil said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, Mr. Neil, as you obviously know far more about the politics of Gaza than the rest of us could you please answer a question I put up last night but nobody could answer?

The current Hamas administration was elected in 2006, the elections pencilled in for 2012 didn't happen. So when does the mandate for the government in Gaza actually run out?
    presumably when Hamas run out of ammo.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Neil said:

MaxPB said:

How you believe such rubbish from Hamas is difficult to comprehend. Every second word they utter is a lie; they even lie to themselves and think them true:

This couple has died "twice". Once in Bangladesh - the second time in Gaza according to Palestinian news... pic.twitter.com/JabpZudSa1

— TeachESL (@TeachESL) August 7, 2014
  • Options
    @HL

The agreement between Hamas and Fatah earlier this year provided for new elections within 6 months. Given all that has happened since then that aim seems .. ambitious!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911

Populus? Must be an outlier :)

Where's Compouter or HUtGiHm when you need them?

Your boys are gonna take one hell of a beating. ED IS CRAP.
    Ed is crap is PM LAB 318 CON 288 LD 17 (UKPR)
  • Options
    Neil said:

@HL

The agreement between Hamas and Fatah earlier this year provided for new elections within 6 months. Given all that has happened since then that aim seems .. ambitious!

I can't see either of those organisations rushing to hold an election, the voters might get it wrong.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

How you believe such rubbish from Hamas is difficult to comprehend.

Er, it's not a claim from Hamas. If you want to argue that there are no reserved seats for non-Muslims in the Legislative Council then fine but you should also try arguing that black is white too.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Neil said:

MaxPB said:

Probably right, but looks from various Wikipedia sites to be 6 years. If of course they are in state of war then they might need to be delayed. That state of war could be with Israel or between Hamas and Fatah. Or both (or all three?)
  • Options
    edited August 2014

GIN1138 said:

Am I alone in thinking that there is at least a tad of difference between the situation in Syria then and that in N Iraq now?
    Probably, but many of us said on that day in August last year that what Parliament had effectively done (certainly for the remainder of the 2010-2015 Parliament) had been to withdraw the UK from the world stage (apart from direct attacks against our interests like an invasion of the Falklands or something) and so it has proved.

I'm not happy about this, but that's the consequence's of what happened last year. The PM and the government will not put their credibility on the line in such a way again.

I'm just waiting now for Ed Milliband to start wringing his hands about our inaction in Iraq. That will surely be the cheery on the cake!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    A rather large puddle in one corner preventing a resumption at Old Trafford.

Play must resume by 6:00pm to allow the extra 90 minutes and a 7:30 finish.

Great PR for cricket.
  • Options

Neil said:

MaxPB said:

Probably right, but looks from various Wikipedia sites to be 6 years. If of course they are in state of war then......
    ..... then that's all very convenient for the incumbents so nobody's in a rush for peace.

festina lente
  • Options

Neil said:

MaxPB said:

Afternoon, Mr B, I think various Arab states will ensure that Hamas never runs out of ammunition, but those same states will not do anything that could lead to a settlement, let alone accept the descendants of Palestinian refugees as citizens in their own states.

Anyway, well done for bringing the trade figures to our attention. The sooner people stop focusing on growf (i.e. the increase of a figure that they don't understand) and start to focus on a measure of prosperity then the sooner we might start to make our way out of the current mess.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196

TGOHF said:

No, I want him to concentrate on import substitution as it's the only sensible way to cut the deficit in a world where exports are volatile.

I argued the same point with Mr Pole 4 years ago, today simply proves Osborne's a numpty.
    Alan, Do not expect the numpties on here to get that any time soon. We are booming don't you know.
  • Options
    Point of Order.

There was no UK general election for 10 years because of the little matter of that Austrian corporal.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Great PR for cricket.

Cricket? What a complete and utter waste of time!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,556
    Farage's new Labour opponent is Will Scobie. Very local. But has been a full time politician since graduating - usual stuff: local councillor, Spad to an MEP, blah, blah. Looks about 15. See: http://will4souththanet.co.uk/

The Tory is ex-UKIP deputy leader, Craig McKinley.

Interesting...
  • Options

Neil said:

MaxPB said:

Afternoon, Mr B, I think various Arab states will ensure that Hamas never runs out of ammunition, but those same states will not do anything that could lead to a settlement, let alone accept the descendants of Palestinian refugees as citizens in their own states.

Anyway, well done for bringing the trade figures to our attention. The sooner people stop focusing on growf (i.e. the increase of a figure that they don't understand) and start to focus on a measure of prosperity then the sooner we might start to make our way out of the current mess.
    I can't see how we'll get out of the mess with "Third Way" Cameroons. They all beleive in the power of pixie dust and how it can help you avoid hard work.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    In case this poll is replicated with one or two others giving,say,a 2 or 3 point Tory lead into the referendum,I would expect an uptick in the Yes price as Salmond points to the inevitability of another Tory government and how he can release all Scots from the evil Tories for all time.
  • Options

JackW said:

Great PR for cricket.

Is that the Tebbit English view or the losing Indian view ?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Alan, Do not expect the numpties on here to get that any time soon. We are booming don't you know.
    chortle hardly malc.

I noticed from one of the graphs that one of our biggest deficits was with Norway. So much for our energy policies and it can only get worse imo as N Sea resources run down.
  • Options
    Neil said:

MaxPB said:

Is it true that Muslims are banned from joining the IDF?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,556
    South Thanet LibDem got 6,000 last time. If we halve that and give it to Labour, and UKIP take a chunk off Tory, then Labour win.

On the other hand, Farage just takes half the Labour and Tory vote and just wins outright with 20,000-odd.
  • Options

In case this poll is replicated with one or two others giving,say,a 2 or 3 point Tory lead into the referendum,I would expect an uptick in the Yes price as Salmond points to the inevitability of another Tory government and how he can release all Scots from the evil Tories for all time.

It's a mad situation that Scotland could end a 300 year union purely on the basis of some "here today gone tomorrow" politicians who currently happen to be in power in Westminster.

• Options
    Neil said:

@HL

Really, that is interesting. There was a similar deal between Hamas and Fatah in 2012 if memory serves. Those elections never happened because of some crisis or other. Now within a couple of months of new elections another crisis kicks off because Hamas has started to lob more than usual amount of ordnance at Israel. Elections will have to be postponed yet again, Goodness gracious, what a terrible surprise.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Great PR for cricket.

When my dad arrived in Blighty during the 1950s, instead of pursuing medical studies as he promised his parents, he spent too much of his time playing cricket for a club in Southend, so that's my, ah, pretext for branding it a waste of time!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,042
    AndyJS said:
    2/1 winner?

Don't thank me all at once
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It's a mad situation that Scotland could end a 300 year union purely on the basis of some "here today gone tomorrow" politicians who currently happen to be in power in Westminster.

A NO vote could well condemn the Tories to Opposition in 2015 and beyond...
  • Options

Neil said:

@HL

Really, that is interesting. There was a similar deal between Hamas and Fatah in 2012 if memory serves. Those elections never happened because of some crisis or other. Now within a couple of months of new elections another crisis kicks off because Hamas has started to lob more than usual amount of ordnance at Israel. Elections will have to be postponed yet again, Goodness gracious, what a terrible surprise.
    lol, quite so Mr L, Hamas run Gaza and Fatah the West Bank and the inconvenience of an election suits neither of them. I suspect they're happy enough with the current arrangement.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    On paper it's a brave move by Farage to contest Thanet South given that at the last election UKIP was over 20,000 votes behind the Conservatives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Thanet_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Even with Nigel Farage contesting the seat it look's a tall order to over-turn that sort of lead in one election to me?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

It's got bugger all to do with a NO vote, if the Tories are in opposition in 2015 it's because they're crap at politics.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

A no vote alone does absolutely no such thing.

The election in 2015 can be won by any party and will be determined by the voters in 2015. Given we have a Tory-led government now there's no reason why any outcome in the referendum prevents or assures the same outcome next year. Especially since regardless of Yes or No there will still be Scottish MPs in 2015 until independence if happens.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Great PR for cricket.

When my dad arrived in Blighty during the 1950s, instead of pursuing medical studies as he promised his parents, he spent too much of his time playing cricket for a club in Southend, so that's my, ah, pretext for branding it a waste of time!
    My dear Sunil you bow down in praise of your family cricket heritage and devote the next issue of the "Sunil on Sunday" to the glory of willow and leather.

If not .... then four weeks in ConHome.

• Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Great PR for cricket.

And rightly so, Cap'n Doc. Now, if your Dad had been playing for a decent Sussex side rather than for the riff-raff of Essex ....
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Doesn't Rod's Monte Carlo thingy predict that the Tories will have a mini-revival north of the border in 2015?

Not sure what Jacks Arse say's Re. this, though?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @HL

I'm not sure that the accusation that Hamas is running away from elections (if that's what it is) stacks up. Hamas won the last election and so that process had to be put aside by other actors (USA / EU boycott etc.) leaving Hamas in power in Gaza only. I havent seen any opinion polling recently but Hamas doesnt strike me as being particularly unpopular in the occupied territories and I would expect them to do well in any election. You are right that any time Hamas and Fatah look to be on the verge of reconciling that something always appears to crop up to interfere with that. Again Hamas wouldnt be at the top of my suspect list for groups seeking to undermine those initiatives.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

On paper it's a brave move by Farage to contest Thanet South given that at the last election UKIP was over 20,000 votes behind the Conservatives

Even with Nigel Farage contesting the seat it look's a tall order to over-turn that sort of lead in one election to me?

The problem is that UKIP were so badly organised in 2010 (Nigel himself spending election day in the airspace over a no-hope constituency) that there's no constituency in the country where they were particularly close.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    GIN1138 said:

It's mad that independence should be sought on a single vote... Two referenda, five years apart with two thirds majorities required would show a serious intent to get the peoples support for such a fundamental change... A grubby dash for a simple majority to change the constitution wouldn't be tolerated in the local bowls club...
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Cyclefree said:

A few threads back I mused that we would probably end up fighting the Caliphate and it looks as if this will happen sooner rather than later.

Max PB is right that Islamic extremism is the biggest threat the world faces, not just in the Middle East but within our own societies and we need to deal with it both there and here. I hope - but rather fear not - that the politicians have the guts to do what it takes but judging by the rush to appeasement of those who threaten violence by the likes of Warsi and Milliband and Clegg I'm not hopeful.

surely the way for Christian values to prevail would be the application of Christian values such as turning t'other cheek and so on?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Doesn't Rod's Monte Carlo thingy predict that the Tories will have a mini-revival north of the border in 2015?

Jack doesn't know his ARSE from the Sunil on Sunday's ELBOW!

ELBOW - Electoral Leader-board of the Week.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    GIN1138 said:

OK, happy to share in that. What if they'd failed to block it, and we were now involved in shipping weapons to ISIS (which is where I'd suggest weapons to the FSA would have partly ended up)? Or participating in some more active way? I think Parliament got it exactly right - it is not clear who the good, or less bad, sides are in the shifting sands of Syria and we therefore have no business helping either side in Syria kill the other.

The potential SeanT-sponsored US airstrike intervention in Iraq does look justified to save the beleagured people, for the reasons he eloquently set out. But I'm not sure what Britain would have to add to it. I may be over-learning the lesson from Iraq, but I'd need a lot of convincing now that any British involvement is needed. And I was against intervening in Libya too (unlike the Labour party on that one), and have seen nothing happening there to make me think again.

• Options
    Neil said:

Nigel himself spending election day in the airspace over a no-hope constituency

Well, some of the day....

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I say how very dare you decapitalise my fine organ.

• Options
    It looks like the wrong sort of rain on the pitch at Old Trafford ...
  • Options

Neil said:

MaxPB said:

I can't see how we'll get out of the mess with "Third Way" Cameroons. They all beleive in the power of pixie dust and how it can help you avoid hard work.
    Of course we won't get out of the mess with Cameron and his clique at the helm and nor do they care whether we do or not. None of the clique's children are going to suffer are they? Any more than Blair's eldest served in the armed forces (he couldn't actually serve but he is making a damn big grab for a safe seat).

Mind you, having, rightly slagged off Cameron and the Remove, don't ask the obvious question. Miliband seems to be some sort of student who hasn't grown up yet and is surrounded by total wankers. Clegg is a bit like Miliband but with less integrity. Farage is probably barking when it comes to serious politics and government, but he does have this knack of saying what lots of people are thinking.
  • Options
    Neil said:

GIN1138 said:

The problem is that UKIP were so badly organised in 2010 (Nigel himself spending election day in the airspace over a no-hope constituency) that there's no constituency in the country where they were particularly close.
    Well yeah, that's why I think it's unlikely UKIP will gain a single seat in 2015.

If they can't do it in by elections, I just don't see it in a general election.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

Cyclefree said:

surely the way for Christian values to prevail would be the application of Christian values such as turning t'other cheek and so on?
    Would you like to try out your recommendation on the relevant ground in front of ISIS and their ilk?? A study of history may guide you to the right answer.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    SMERSH has been silent lately.It's a great shame if this particular betting system bites the dust as it had potential as a betting guide.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

GIN1138 said:

OK, happy to share in that. What if they'd failed to block it, and we were now involved in shipping weapons to ISIS (which is where I'd suggest weapons to the FSA would have partly ended up)? Or participating in some more active way? I think Parliament got it exactly right - it is not clear who the good, or less bad, sides are in the shifting sands of Syria and we therefore have no business helping either side in Syria kill the other.

The potential SeanT-sponsored US airstrike intervention in Iraq does look justified to save the beleagured people, for the reasons he eloquently set out. But I'm not sure what Britain would have to add to it. I may be over-learning the lesson from Iraq, but I'd need a lot of convincing now that any British involvement is needed. And I was against intervening in Libya too (unlike the Labour party on that one), and have seen nothing happening there to make me think again.

We can debate the merit's (or not) of any Syrian action all day, but the upshot is the Prime Minister and the government recommended our involvement in that action, Parliament said NO (Ed said yes, then maybe, then what's in this for me, before finally saying NO) and the government was defeated.

The consequences of which are that we will not be getting involved in any more military engagements for the foreseeable future.
  • Options

Neil said:

MaxPB said:

Of course we won't get out of the mess with Cameron and his clique at the helm and nor do they care whether we do or not. None of the clique's children are going to suffer are they? Any more than Blair's eldest served in the armed forces (he couldn't actually serve but he is making a damn big grab for a safe seat).

Mind you, having, rightly slagged off Cameron and the Remove, don't ask the obvious question. Miliband seems to be some sort of student who hasn't grown up yet and is surrounded by total wankers. Clegg is a bit like Miliband but with less integrity. Farage is probably barking when it comes to serious politics and government, but he does have this knack of saying what lots of people are thinking.
    well that post gave me an overwhelming sensation of optimism :-(
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Neil said:

GIN1138 said:

Well yeah, that's why I think it's unlikely UKIP will gain a single seat in 2015.

If they can't do it in by elections, I just don't see it in a general election.
    I disagree. By-elections are hard for smaller parties (and UKIP still is) because they face the undivided resources of the main parties. At a general election the main parties have to focus on beating each other and cant concentrate on blowing UKIP (or Greens or whoever) out of the water in their areas of strength. Given the right focus on the right number of seats in the right places I can see UKIP winning seats next year. And they've shown many signs of being better at this than in 2010 (mind you they couldnt be worse).

• Options
    Financier said:

Cyclefree said:

Would you like to try out your recommendation on the relevant ground in front of ISIS and their ilk?? A study of history may guide you to the right answer.
    Our Christian values are superior, are they not?
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I would of course never dream of knowingly decapitalising, decapitating or even castrating your fine organ.
  • Options
    It's looking like an utter fiasco at Old Trafford.

Mind to be fair .... it's never been known to rain in Manchester ....
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

Neil said:

@HL

Yes, Israel have done everything possible to stop the reconciliation between Hamas and Fatah. Israel invaded on a trumped up reason so far murdering 2000 Palestinians.

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2014/07/08/who-started-the-cycle-of-violence-in-palestine/

As Jesus said to the Pahrisees 'Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.' Applies to the fifth column in this country too.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I would of course never dream of knowingly decapitalising, decapitating or even castrating your fine organ.
    Consider yourself on a final warning ....

A repeat offence will ensure your permanent membership of the Ed Miliband Glee Club.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited August 2014

Financier said:

Cyclefree said:

Turning the other cheek NOT EQUAL Turning a blind eye to evil.
  • Options
    Play abandoned for the day.

Sunday expect even more torrential rain

Dont lay the draw!!!
  • Options
    Play abandoned at Old Trafford.

Utterly disgraceful. Old Trafford should be removed from the test match rota until further notice.
  • Options
    @Gin1138

"The consequences of which are that we will not be getting involved in any more military engagements for the foreseeable future."

You obviously missed the news, the RAF is to start flying operations over northern Iraq. Just humanitarian drops and support of the USA in terms of refuelling and intelligence, you understand. No actual combat as such - for the moment.
  • Options
    Drains fooked at Old Trafford.

England will need to press on fast given forecast for Sunday/ Monday
  • Options

Neil said:

MaxPB said:

well that post gave me an overwhelming sensation of optimism :-(
    It is Friday, Mr. Brooke, and coming up to gin-o'clock. In seventeen minutes you will feel much better.
  • Options

Financier said:

Cyclefree said:

Turning the other cheek NOT EQUAL Turning a blind eye to evil.
    equally bombing democracy the fuck into the savages has not been so successful to date
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Neil said:

@HL

Yes, Israel have done everything possible to stop the reconciliation between Hamas and Fatah. Israel invaded on a trumped up reason so far murdering 2000 Palestinians.

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2014/07/08/who-started-the-cycle-of-violence-in-palestine/

As Jesus said to the Pahrisees 'Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.' Applies to the fifth column in this country too.
    Spiffing. Not sure what that has got to do with the Palestinians bot being able to arrange free and fair elections in Gaza and the est bank though.
  • Options

FalseFlag said:

Neil said:

@HL

Spiffing. Not sure what that has got to do with the Palestinians bot being able to arrange free and fair elections in Gaza and the est bank though.
    It's not been a case of not being able to hold elections. The entire democratic process was sidelined after Hamas won the last elections. The winners of the last elections werent allowed to govern because others objected to the choice the Palestinian people made. Unless and until there is a resolution that will allow the winner of the next election to actually govern what is the point of holding one? The Hamas / Fatah reconciliation is obviously key to that process. As for why there isnt likely to be an election within the timescale envisaged in that agreement - well as Jack W pointed out the UK went without elections for the duration of WW2. What does Hamas have to fear from an election? All it can do is offer them the opportunity of taking power (well, the limited power that body is allowed to have).

• Options
    Neil said:

FalseFlag said:

Neil said:

@HL

It's not been a case of not being able to hold elections. The entire democratic process was sidelined after Hamas won the last elections. The winners of the last elections werent allowed to govern because others objected to the choice the Palestinian people made. Unless and until there is a resolution that will allow the winner of the next election to actually govern what is the point of holding one? The Hamas / Fatah reconciliation is obviously key to that process. As for why there isnt likely to be an election within the timescale envisaged in that agreement - well as Jack W pointed out the UK went without elections for the duration of WW2. What does Hamas have to fear from an election? All it can do is offer them the opportunity of taking power (well, the limited power that body is allowed to have).

which of course raises the question if they have nothing to fear from an election why aren't they holding one - at least in Gaza which they control ?
  • Options

Neil said:

FalseFlag said:

Neil said:

@HL

which of course raises the question if they have nothing to fear from an election why aren't they holding one - at least in Gaza which they control ?
    An election to what?

• Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

FalseFlag said:

Neil said:

@HL

An election to what?

Ah right so the 2006 election was more X factor than actual politics ? They just held an election because, sounds logical.
  • Options

Ah right so the 2006 election was more X factor than actual politics ? They just held an election because, sounds logical.

They held an election to the Parliament in 2006. When the rest of the world decided it didnt like the result of the election it was effectively set aside.

• Options
    Neil said:

They held an election to the Parliament in 2006. When the rest of the world decided it didnt like the result of the election it was effectively set aside.

Oh right, so the world's to blame. Glad you cleared that up.
  • Options

Neil said:

Oh right, so the world's to blame. Glad you cleared that up.
    Glad to be of help.
This discussion has been closed.