Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We have cross-over with Populus online. CON 36% LAB 35%

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

ICM was the only pollster to understate the Labour lead in 97. A week before polling day it showed the lead at only 5% - compared with the actual outcome of 13%

But their final poll had it at 10%
    That is true - but again the only pollster to understate the lead.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited August 2014
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ICM was the only pollster to understate the Labour lead in 97. A week before polling day it showed the lead at only 5% - compared with the actual outcome of 13%

They were closer to the actual lead than a lot of the other pollsters, the only other pollster still going from that era, had the Lab lead at 18% and a week before the election had the Lab lead at 24%
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,912
    TMS using TSE phrase.

Its raining cats and dogs

Looking at BBC weather forecast shows rain for rest of day all day Sunday and most of Monday.

Pulpstar careful laying the draw.

Of course weather forecasts can be wrong
  • Options

TMS using TSE phrase.

Looking at BBC weather forecast shows rain for rest of day all day Sunday and most of Monday.

I have tickets for tomorrow and Sunday
  • Options

TMS using TSE phrase.

I have tickets for tomorrow and Sunday
    Should be OK tomorrow
  • Options
    I suspect ICM may come a cropper next year because of the assumptions being made about the LibDem vote.Unlike the Tories and Labour I don't think there is much of a 'core'LibDem' vote which is going return home at the last minute. I share Mike's view that many have gone back to Labour - and will stay there!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I suspect ICM may come a cropper next year because of the assumptions being made about the LibDem vote.Unlike the Tories and Labour I don't think there is much of a 'core'LibDem' vote which is going return home at the last minute. I share Mike's view that many have gone back to Labour - and will stay there!

I heard the same thing about ICM coming a cropper last time,

No pollster will be able to get the Cleggasm right etc.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

They were closer to the actual lead than a lot of the other pollsters, the only other pollster still going from that era, had the Lab lead at 18% and a week before the election had the Lab lead at 24%
    Indeed so - but it does not alter the fact that ICM were understating Labour- and probably still are.
  • Options
    As an aside, this populus is largely what I'm expecting.

Hung parliament, with no obvious workable coalition.

What happens then?

Grand coalition?
  • Options
    WitanWitan Posts: 26
    A lot of those LibDem defectors to Labour are key targets for the apathy campaign and it will be largely successful as that vote winner Miliband is pushed to the fore.

Cameron will follow Callaghan's example and stir up apathy within that group all over the land.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, in that case we have Election 2: Elect Harder.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

TMS using TSE phrase.

I've bailed from the draw lay, "greened up" right now on £10 profit for the match. My hope is today is a washout and the draw price will be even better to lay overnight.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited August 2014
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Indeed so - but it does not alter the fact that ICM were understating Labour- and probably still are.
    Final ICM poll of 1997, forecast Labour to get 43%.

On election day, Labour received 43.2%

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1992-1997

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1997#Results

Now if you want to quibble over 0.2%.......
  • Options
    AnimalPBAnimalPB Posts: 1
    edited August 2014

What happens then?

Grand coalition?

Well, quite. Any markets on the following GE being before 2020 up yet?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190

What happens then?

Grand coalition?

The country will be "screaming" out for a firm yet fair dictator.....
  • Options

justin124 said:

I simply believe that their core vote assumption re-LibDems is wrong.
  • Options

The Fixed Term Parliament Act makes a second election unlikely.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737

And who benefits from that? Advantage Tories (as they have more money for another campaign)? Advantage Greens / UKIP (None of the above)? Squeeze on all but Lab / Tory (Need a result - don't waste your vote)? Can see it all come out in the wash with virtually the same result if it is within 6 months.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    edited August 2014
    [Grand coalition?]

Would be fun - the amount of hate that the LDs would generate would presumably set off some kind of Book of Revelations type event.

[Oops - 2nd time - I always give myself 3]
  • Options

What happens then?

Grand coalition?

This seems like an opportunity.

My policy of free harems for all net contributors to the tax system will ensure a landslide.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @MarqueeMark
    "The country will be "screaming" out for a firm yet fair dictator..... "

Farage stages a beer garden putsch?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I simply believe that their core vote assumption re-LibDems is wrong.
    We're going to find out in 9 months time
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Delighted to learn the Yanks have bombed an ISIS crowd back to the stone age where they belong. Special forces should be sent in to wipe ISIS out.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

[Grand coalition?]

Would be fun - the amount of hate that the LDs would generate would presumably set off some kind of Book of Revelations type event.

I once made a very left wing Labour activist turn a dangerous shade of purple, when I suggested to him that the Lib Dems might be the only constant in Government in this decade.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Again those are UK figures! The GB figure was 44.5% approx.
  • Options
    @Easterross
    Whose special forces?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    [My policy of free harems for all net contributors to the tax system will ensure a landslide.]

I'm not sure I'm misremembering - but wasn't there a mayor who got elected on a platform of free bananas for school children. But that wasn't the best bit - the best was his slogan-

Vote Monkey - Get Monkey
  • Options

We're going to find out in 9 months time

How many times have you heard that - with more than a little trepidation?

• Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Still confirms that ICM were the most accurate, other pollsters had them at 51%
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, no. If there's an unworkable set of numbers for a government then which party will vote against repealing the act, effectively telling the voters they're frightened of another vote?

Plus, without sufficient support no party would get a Queen's Speech through, which would, I think, mean an election.

It's a pretty narrow range for no government to be workable, though. I'd be surprised if it happened, though not with a hung parliament.
  • Options

What happens then?

Grand coalition?

This seems like an opportunity.

My policy of free harems for all net contributors to the tax system will ensure a landslide.
    not if they are full of unmarried ladies who look like Ann Widdecombe!
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

That's still well within any margin of error you want to argue over.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

[Grand coalition?]

It's the Book of Revelation. No 's' on the end.
  • Options
    Thanks Easterross - I'll remember that.
  • Options
    I was disappointed to note that Cleggie hadn't tapped OGH for an ermine collar today. Arguably he has done more for the country than the several has been Cllrs who have been punted upstairs. I see Barry (or whatever his character name was) from Eastenders has been ennobled at the request of Milibland. Once Baldrick gets his peerage we will know that Blackadder has taken over and the HoL more resembles a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

[My policy of free harems for all net contributors to the tax system will ensure a landslide.]

I'm not sure I'm misremembering - but wasn't there a mayor who got elected on a platform of free bananas for school children. But that wasn't the best bit - the best was his slogan-

Vote Monkey - Get Monkey

H'Angus The Monkey, Mayor of Hartlepool

• Options
    So we all have to wait until the End of Days - and only get ONE lousy stinking Revelation?

Poor show.....
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, given the Book of Revelation was almost certainly written under the influence of hallucinogenic mushrooms I wouldn't worry too much about its contents.

Besides, we all know the Flying Spaghetti Monster, may you be touched by His Noodley Appendage, is the true god.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I am not claiming that other pollsters were more accurate.My point is simply that ICM were the only pollster in 1997 to understate Labour - in terms of both lead and % vote share.That other pollsters were wildly wrong in the other direction does not contradict that fact.It does,however, lead me to believe that ICM is likely to be somewhat understating Labour - particularly in view of its assumptions re-LibDem core vote returning home on polling day.
  • Options

So we all have to wait until the End of Days - and only get ONE lousy stinking Revelation?

Poor show.....

Talking about the book of revelation.

THE next player to be given his Test debut by England will be asked whether he wants to take the number 666 or prefers to skip to 667 to avoid a figure identified with the Antichrist or Devil, writes Simon Wilde.

Jos Buttler, above, became England’s 665th Test cricketer when he made his debut at the Ageas Bowl last Sunday and although the squad for this week’s fourth Test contains no uncapped players, James Whitaker, the national selector, has confirmed that when the time comes the decision will be left with the player. The numbers are awarded alphabetically if more than one player makes his debut in the same match.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I am not claiming that other pollsters were more accurate.My point is simply that ICM were the only pollster in 1997 to understate Labour - in terms of both lead and % vote share.That other pollsters were wildly wrong in the other direction does not contradict that fact.It does,however, lead me to believe that ICM is likely to be somewhat understating Labour - particularly in view of its assumptions re-LibDem core vote returning home on polling day.
    ICM have had 17 years to get a bit closer....

You are looking a bit of a straw-clutcher, if you don't mind me saying.
  • Options
    Personally I'd love to be England's 666 cricketer.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I was disappointed to note that Cleggie hadn't tapped OGH for an ermine collar today. Arguably he has done more for the country than the several has been Cllrs who have been punted upstairs. I see Barry (or whatever his character name was) from Eastenders has been ennobled at the request of Milibland. Once Baldrick gets his peerage we will know that Blackadder has taken over and the HoL more resembles a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta

Actually a House of Lords in the style of Gilbert and Sullivan would be much preferable to the one we have now. It would be a lot smaller, it would contain no mountebanks and failed politicians, and it would be able to sing nicely. If we had a Lord Chancellor that could manage the Nightmare Song we would be a much better governed country.

P.S. Referring to your earlier post, there are, I am told, some gentlemen who prefer the Widdecombe figure and attitude. Hard to believe I know but I have it on the very best authority.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    edited August 2014
    I'm beginning to loathe the hypocrisy of the left over this Islamic militant stuff. On one side you have ISIS who are murdering and committing genocide against all non-Muslims in Iraq because of a power vacuum left behind by the US/UK invasion and people are rightly calling for Obama and other world leaders to get off their backsides to bomb them. On the other side you have the ideologically similar (identical in that they want to exterminate all non-Muslims) Hamas being bombed by Israel and Israel are the bad guy for retaliating. Again it was Hamas who broke the ceasefire by firing rockets into Israel and yet the news and media make it seem like both sides immediately resumed fighting after the end of the ceasefire.

So when Muslims kill Christians and other non-Muslims the world needs to act, but when Muslims kill Jews the left want us to stand by and allow it and better still, criticise said Jews for defending themselves. I think we have a word for that.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

It's almost as if you're ignoring ICM's track record since 1997.

1.5% last century isn't a reason to have doubts about them now.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I'm sure he'd be making these points if the last ICM had Lab ahead by 8
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2014
    The Tories polled 36.89% in 2010 in Britain (ie. excluding Northern Ireland). That figure doesn't include John Bercow as a Conservative.
  • Options
    @MaxPB
    I think the difference may be that a few "hotheads" sending rudimentary rockets into Israel, is not a vote by the majority of those in Gazza.
  • Options

Poor show.....

Talking about the book of revelation.

THE next player to be given his Test debut by England will be asked whether he wants to take the number 666 or prefers to skip to 667 to avoid a figure identified with the Antichrist or Devil, writes Simon Wilde.

Jos Buttler, above, became England’s 665th Test cricketer when he made his debut at the Ageas Bowl last Sunday and although the squad for this week’s fourth Test contains no uncapped players, James Whitaker, the national selector, has confirmed that when the time comes the decision will be left with the player. The numbers are awarded alphabetically if more than one player makes his debut in the same match.
    You can't imagine an England cricketer being given such a choice when the likes of Ray Illingworth or Mike Brearley were skippering England.
  • Options

Mr. Mark, given the Book of Revelation was almost certainly written under the influence of hallucinogenic mushrooms I wouldn't worry too much about its contents.

Besides, we all know the Flying Spaghetti Monster, may you be touched by His Noodley Appendage, is the true god.

It is true the 3rd Horseman of the Apocalypse was carrying an enormo haddock stick as his chosen weapon of mass destruction. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Mr. Easterross, an earlier, more accurate, version has the Four Haddock-Men of the Apocalypse, a clear reference to giant land-walking genetically engineered superfish.
  • Options

Poor show.....

You don't even have to wait until the end of days. You can read the whole thing now, on line. I have always felt that St John of Patmos was off his head when he wrote it (whether on Mr Dancer's mushrooms or otherwise), but there you are. Why the ancient fathers of the Christian faith (of all sects, I believe) decided to hang on to it, and discard other, possibly more powerful, texts I don't know.

I once worked for a boss who was an expert on the Book of Revelation, but to be honest he was as off his head as the author.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB
    I think the difference may be that a few "hotheads" sending rudimentary rockets into Israel, is not a vote by the majority of those in Gazza.

So what would you have Israel do? Islamic extremism must be fought and defeated everywhere, ISIS, Hamas, Al-Qaida are all different heads of the same monster. We must support Israel in their fight against Hamas just as we must support the Kurds in their fight against ISIS and even now Assad in Syria. Islamic extremism represents the largest threat against the free world, and anyone who opposes it deserves our support. Israel is on the front line, they must have our support in defending themselves against Hamas. It is in our interests to see Hamas defeated.
  • Options
    http://t.co/v024SCoZlc

Fellow Owl = Top man
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    edited August 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB

oh those scallywags over at Hamas, eh?

Some general observations:

1. Irony has eaten itself with Obama (and the UK?) now wading in on the side of the Alawite Assad against the Sunni IS.
    2. The Guardian should take a good long look at itself; I couldn't be happier that they have had this (what I hope to be a) wake-up call.
    3. This is all good for the Cons and bad for EdM who is in danger of being seen on the side of the bad guys (MB = Hamas = IS) although this in one interpretation could be seen to put Dave on the wrong side of Barack.
    4. Can I be (am I?) the first to ask where the chuffing hell Compouter is these days with his droll Basil jokes?
  • Options
    "... a few "hotheads" sending rudimentary rockets into Israel"

Crikey, Hamas is now a few hotheads. Delusional post of the week.
  • Options

"... a few "hotheads" sending rudimentary rockets into Israel"

Crikey, Hamas is now a few hotheads. Delusional post of the week.

It's how the left justify their criticism of Israel even though Hamas' brother's in arms are out in Iraq beheading and murdering all non-Muslims.
  • Options
    @MaxPB
    Hamas has much the same opinion, the"invaders" must be fought and defeated, and the longer they fight, the more extreme both sides become.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212
    MaxPB said:

Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB

So what would you have Israel do? Islamic extremism must be fought and defeated everywhere, ISIS, Hamas, Al-Qaida are all different heads of the same monster. We must support Israel in their fight against Hamas just as we must support the Kurds in their fight against ISIS and even now Assad in Syria. Islamic extremism represents the largest threat against the free world, and anyone who opposes it deserves our support. Israel is on the front line, they must have our support in defending themselves against Hamas. It is in our interests to see Hamas defeated.
    Personally I would have them stop killing women and children and stick to dealing with Hamas.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    HAHAHAHAHA

And so it begins..
  • Options
    Populus? Must be an outlier :)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    It is in our interests to see Hamas defeated.

Most of all the Gazans. They have been used as cannon fodder by Hamas.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB
    Hamas has much the same opinion, the"invaders" must be fought and defeated, and the longer they fight, the more extreme both sides become.

So who is to blame for the civilian deaths, Hamas who put their military hardware in civilian areas and threaten civilians who try to leave, or Israel for bombing said military hardware. Hamas are using civilians as a human shield for actions and that is the atrocity. The western media has fallen for it hook, line and sinker. The deaths of civilians is regrettable, but Hamas is using them as canon fodder and propaganda by actively putting them in harm's way.

Israel is our strategic and ideological ally in the Middle East, cutting support for them would be a disaster. Leaving them to fend off the Islamist threat alone would act against our interests.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,128
    edited August 2014
    I don’t think MaxPB is being entirely fair to the left, although I don’t suppose he’s in anyway way likely to give them the benefit of the doubt. The Israel/Palestine situation has been going on for a long time, and, IIRC, for some time the left was generally sympathetic to the Israelis. However, over the years there has come to be an perception that, as far as the Israelis are concerned anything the Palestinians do is wrong, and further that the US lets them get away with it beause of the importnace of the Jewish lobby in US politics.
    Now that doesn’t mean to say that this leftist anyway thinks that it s a simple matter of Israelis bad, Palestians good. In particular, as Max points out the recent truce ended because of Hamas’ actions. Israel might just have held off for a while if Hamas hadn’t restarted the rockets. One would have thought that a responsible government in Gaza would have allowed it’s own citizens a chance to recuperate. And there are Palestinian Christians in Gaza, althoiugh not very many. It’s probably a bit easier for them to emigate

I really don’t see any correlation between Western Left and Right and ISIS/Iraq/Kurdistan. ISIS are fundamentalist fanatics pure and simple and somehow they’ve got to be stopped in their tracks. The fact that the situation was originally brought about by the attack on Iraq by the US/UK is sad but in the bigger scheme of things irrelevant; had the war not taken place and Saddam been assassinated 5 or so years ago I suspect we’d see a similar situation to that which exists now.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB

oh those scallywags over at Hamas, eh?

Some general observations:

1. Irony has eaten itself with Obama (and the UK?) now wading in on the side of the Alawite Assad against the Sunni IS.
    2. The Guardian should take a good long look at itself; I couldn't be happier that they have had this (what I hope to be a) wake-up call.
    3. This is all good for the Cons and bad for EdM who is in danger of being seen on the side of the bad guys (MB = Hamas = IS) although this in one interpretation could be seen to put Dave on the wrong side of Barack.
    4. Can I be (am I?) the first to ask where the chuffing hell Compouter is these days with his droll Basil jokes?
    Mr. Topping,

Compouter was here the other day, but quite late in the evening. Whether he was equipped with his droll Basil jokes, I couldn't say. I always scroll past his contributions.

Whether the international crises are good or bad for our political leaders I would hesitate to guess. Personally, I think Cameron just makes himself look a jerk every time he comments, "I am sincerely concerned that x, y, or z has happened and I think that [insert platitude of choice here]", Miliband alternates between brazen opportunist and complete pillock, and Clegg, well sorry who?
  • Options
    @MaxPB
    Semi evolved apes are to blame, unfortunately few political systems encourage the more rational apes.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited August 2014

Populus? Must be an outlier :)

Where's Compouter or HUtGiHm when you need them?

Your boys are gonna take one hell of a beating. ED IS CRAP.
  • Options
    Gaza is a terrorist's paradise. A small densely populated enclave, stacked full of pliant innocents to hide behind, right next to the enemy you want to destroy indiscriminately.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    >

I'm sure he'd be making these points if the last ICM had Lab ahead by 8''

Look- I will not be voting Labour in 2015 - and have not done so since 1992!.All pollsters have reviewed their methods since the 90s and many are quite new on the scene. ICM was very good on the AV referendum - less so on the 2012 London Mayoral election and if I remember correctly put the Tories ahead of Labour for the Euros.In presenting my genuine view as to how things stand I may have drawn attention to some facts which are unwelcome or had been largely overlooked. I stand by my main point which is that the collapse in the LibDem vote and what is likely to happen to that vote in 2015 has led to ICM making assumptions about those voters which will turn out to be wrong. We can only wait and see!
  • Options

I don’t think MaxPB is being entirely fair to the left, although I don’t suppose he’s in anyway way likely to give them the benefit of the doubt. The Israel/Palestine situation has been going on for a long time, and, IIRC, for some time the left was generally sympathetic to the Israelis. However, over the years there has come to be an perception that, as far as the Israelis are concerned anything the Palestinians do is wrong, and further that the US lets them get away with it beause of the importnace of the Jewish lobby in US politics.
    Now that doesn’t mean to say that this leftist anyway thinks that it s a simple matter of Israelis bad, Palestians good. In particular, as Max points out the recent truce ended because of Hamas’ actions. Israel might just have held off for a while if Hamas hadn’t restarted the rockets. One would have thought that a responsible government in Gaza would have allowed it’s own citizens a chance to recuperate. And there are Palestinian Christians in Gaza, althoiugh not very many. It’s probably a bit easier for them to emigate

I really don’t see any correlation between Western Left and Right and ISIS/Iraq/Kurdistan. The latter are fundamentalist fanatics pure and simple and somehow they’ve got to be stopped in their tracks. The fact that the situation was originally brought about by the attack on Iraq by the US/UK is sad but in the bigger scheme of things irrelevant; had the war not taken place and Saddam been assassinated 5 or so years ago I suspect we’d see a similar situation to that which exists now.

That's the hypocrisy though, at the moment to the left Hamas = good but ISIS = bad, the only difference between them is that Hamas are fighting Jews in Israel and ISIS are fighting different non-Muslims in Iraq. They are ideologically aligned otherwise.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB
    Semi evolved apes are to blame, unfortunately few political systems encourage the more rational apes.

So a non-answer because you know Hamas are responsible for civilian casualties.
  • Options
    @MaxPB
    Where do you get the idea that the Left thinks Hamas is "good", and Israel is "bad"?
    Those on the proper "Left" consider both sides are led by idiots. and in some cases, the genuinely insane.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Israel vs Gaza discussion is like the Scottish Sindy Ref but with less people changing their minds..
  • Options
    @MaxPB
    "So a non-answer"
    No, it is a very firm answer.
    Both sides are to blame equally, and both are acting irrationally.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737
    MaxPB said:

I really don’t see any correlation between Western Left and Right and ISIS/Iraq/Kurdistan. The latter are fundamentalist fanatics pure and simple and somehow they’ve got to be stopped in their tracks. The fact that the situation was originally brought about by the attack on Iraq by the US/UK is sad but in the bigger scheme of things irrelevant; had the war not taken place and Saddam been assassinated 5 or so years ago I suspect we’d see a similar situation to that which exists now.

That's the hypocrisy though, at the moment to the left Hamas = good but ISIS = bad, the only difference between them is that Hamas are fighting Jews in Israel and ISIS are fighting different non-Muslims in Iraq. They are ideologically aligned otherwise.
    The other difference, which may seem daft but potentially integrates into the British mentality is thinking about it in terms of Underdog vs Bully. It seems more natural to support the underdog against the bully, but that puts Hamas and ISIS on different sides.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB
    Where do you get the idea that the Left thinks Hamas is "good", and Israel is "bad"?
    Those on the proper "Left" consider both sides are led by idiots. and in some cases, the genuinely insane.

Quite agree. The appalling thing is that both Hamas and the Israeli government were elected!
  • Options
    Smarmeron don't think you saw my post the other day. Are you a part Sutherland? If so would be very interested to chat off PB
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    They are ideologically aligned otherwise.

If Hamas could do in Israel what IS is doing in Iraq, they would. In a heart beat.

The people living next door to Israel don;t want their independence, like in Ireland. They don;t want to be part of another country.

They want to take Israeli land, cut Israeli heads off, rape Israeli wives and sell Israeli children as slaves. All of them, until they are all gone.

Talk to Hamas? Who wants to talk to people like that?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB

When you get idiots like Miliband hectoring that Israel needs to negotiate with Hamas (rather than the other way around) it is patently clear where the left is on this argument. The left believes Israel to be culpable for the ills of this conflict. How does one negotiate with a group of terrorists that are hellbent on one's own annihilation.
  • Options
    King Cole, hmm. Wasn't that a while ago, and didn't Hamas subsequently threw its rival party's members off of rooftops? Not sure that necessarily speaks of accountability and democracy.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB

When you get idiots like Miliband hectoring that Israel needs to negotiate with Hamas (rather than the other way around) it is patently clear where the left is on this argument. The left believes Israel to be culpable for the ills of this conflict. How does one negotiate with a group of terrorists that are hellbent on one's own annihilation.
    The Labour party was (and is ) full of pro IRA types - why the surprise ?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB
    "So a non-answer"

So your answer to the earlier question of what Israel should do is nothing then? Please explain why Israel are acting irrationally? How would you retaliate against a terrorist organisation using civilians as human shields?

Oh and OKC, when, pray tell, was the last election in Gaza?
  • Options
    @MaxPB
    Just negotiate, put down the sharp sticks and all the posturing, and talk without fear.
    The alternative is to continue with more of the same.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB
    Just negotiate, put down the sharp sticks and all the posturing, and talk without fear.
    The alternative is to continue with more of the same.

So Israel should put down arms and trust that a terrorist organisation in who's founding charter it states that all non-Muslims should be exterminated will follow? What planet do you live on? Hamas don't want to negotiate they want to exterminate all non-Muslims, they are ideologically similar to ISIS who Obama has just ordered air strikes on.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB
    "So a non-answer"

So your answer to the earlier question of what Israel should do is nothing then? Please explain why Israel are acting irrationally? How would you retaliate against a terrorist organisation using civilians as human shields?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_legislative_election,_2006
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB
    "So a non-answer"

2006, as far as I can see. The situation when the next election was due appears to be confused as a relt of arguments between Fatah and Hamas, and Israeli actions.

Mr Dancer, I hold no brief for Hamas. I was simply pointing out that there are no innocent players in the area.
  • Options
    The people of Gazza watch new settlements being built on land they used to own, while living in a ghetto and under occupation. Israeli leaders don't want peace any more than the nutters in Hamas, everyone else would just like some sanity and stability.
  • Options
    Follow the FT's @PickardJE for the latest Kipper PR cock up.

Nige is standing in Thanet South - Kippers just don't want it out yet..
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Smarmeron said:

The people of Gazza watch new settlements being built on land they used to own, while living in a ghetto and under occupation. Israeli leaders don't want peace any more than the nutters in Hamas, everyone else would just like some sanity and stability.

The day Israel stops building settlements in the West Bank is the day they genuinely want peace. Unfortunately I don't see the Israelis ever voluntarily giving up their desire for lebensraum.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Justin124:

Polls are always for GB only, not including Northern Ireland.

43.2% was the figure for the whole of the UK. Labour polled 44.4% in GB in 1997.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    TGOHF said:

Kerching!
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Delighted to learn the Yanks have bombed an ISIS crowd back to the stone age where they belong. Special forces should be sent in to wipe ISIS out.

So far they've said they're only going to bomb Isis forces when they threaten Erbil or Baghdad (where the US has regional command posts) and air dropping supplies elsewhere like the bods on the mountains.

They don't want to damage Isis because Isis are fighting Assad and Maliki.

• Options
    On a (much) lighter note, it's rather pissing it down in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

So far they've said they're only going to bomb Isis forces when they threaten Erbil or Baghdad (where the US has regional command posts) and air dropping supplies elsewhere like the bods on the mountains.

Oh what a tangled web we weave ...........
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Kerching!
    Remember Lansley........................
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

MrJones said:

Oh what a tangled web we weave ...........
    I expect it to end with different teams of CIA bods in Langley shooting at each other from behind their desks.

• Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Kerching!
    Gordon Brown levels of dithering...
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Kiev threatening to block gas transhipments through Ukraine next week. Cutting their own throats and bringing Europe down with them. Time for leadership in Europe, enough is enough, put the neo cons in Washington and their chums in Kiev back in their place. The EU economy is in enough trouble already and winter is on its way.

Ukraine itself is in collapse now, no money, tax rises, no gas, conscription introduced with the East still in rebel hands.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

That's where Israel's allies must apply pressure, not withdraw arms sales or trade support as has been suggested by many on the left.

Just remember this, Arabs/Muslims who live in Israel have the right to vote, the right to own land and the right to own/run a business without interference from the state. The same cannot be said for non-Muslims in Gaza (or almost any majority Islamic country for that matter).
This discussion has been closed.