Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: July 17th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: July 17th 2014

Oban North and Lorn on Argyll and Bute (SNP defence)
Result of last election to council (2012): Independents 15, Scottish Nationalists 13, Conservatives 4, Liberal Democrats 4 (No Overall Control, Independents short by 4)
Result of last election in ward (2012):

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,896
    edited July 2014
    Mabe, Perranarworthal and St Gluvias? Well, I'm satisfied with this crop of locals already. I am easy to please.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Mabe and Church Hill two intriguing UKIP defences with several possible outcomes.
  • Options
    I'm a sucker for locally focused parties as well, so good luck to 'It's our county' in Ledbury I guess.

http://www.itsourcounty.org/beliefs/statement-of-beliefs/
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited July 2014
    Apologies for heading off-topic so quickly but I thought this would be of interest. The Russian text of the tweet mentioned on the previous thread that was deleted from their twitter account today by Donetsk Republic rebels is (link is to a cache, don't know how long it will work for):

Донецкая Республика [Donetsk Republic] ‏dnrpress Jun 29

Самоходные зенитно-ракетные комплексы "Бук" на территории зенитно-ракетного полка ПВО А1402 взятого под контроль ДНР.

I hope Avery can give a proper translation later - the google translate version has several clear mistakes and some things it can't translate, but my own Russian is crappy. But it does seem to say what BBC Monitoring are saying it did, broadly: "the Donetsk People's Republic has taken control of "Buk" self-propelled anti-aircraft missile systems in the territory of Air Defence Regiment A1402". June 29th is the date, of course.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Cheers, Mr. Hayfield.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    OOOOOOOOOOH Argyll and Bute - This seat is definitely in my one to watch !
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Probable UKIP defence manifesto in outline:

http://www.ukipdaily.com/defend-island/#.U8gkZ41dWoc

Looks pretty good thinking to me.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The Telegraph ‏@Telegraph 1h
    "If it disappears, this is what it looks like": #MH17 passenger's chilling Facebook message http://fw.to/OxLTsWC

Could someone have blown up the plane from within?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    MikeK said:

"If it disappears, this is what it looks like": #MH17 passenger's chilling Facebook message http://fw.to/OxLTsWC

Creepy.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Good timing while everyone looks towards Ukraine.
    CNN has just reported that Israel has announced to initiate ground operations in Gaza
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,015
    Speedy said:

MikeK said:

Creepy.
    Well, not really. Sounds like pretty standard black humour from someone about to board a Malaysian Airlines flight.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    MikeK said:

Probable UKIP defence manifesto in outline:

http://www.ukipdaily.com/defend-island/#.U8gkZ41dWoc

Looks pretty good thinking to me.

Sounds fairly reasonable, although sadly for me the key bit is:

"It is unclear how this could be achieved, but the involvement of service representatives, all focussed on a simple strategy is essential. What is needed is the elimination any inter service rivalry, give us and the service personnel who serve our country a much better deal."

If UKIP could figure out a way to achieve that, eliminate the infuriatingly absurd procurement mishaps at the MoD, they would do us all a great service. As it is, the public is not willing to pay for a pro-active military force, or one able to be pro-active in the future with any great flexibility, and the incompetence of budgeting means we can barely afford even a bare bones military either on the amount the public will accept.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    So we have a situation where the rebels may well have acquired a Buk system, not from the Russians but from the better organised but still chaotic Ukrainian forces. Not a lot Russia can do about that.

We have a situation where all sensible civilian airlines are staying out of the area so anything there might reasonably be thought a target by either side.

We have a situation where the Ukrainians believe that the Russians are supporting the rebels and that a high altitude plane in their airspace might very well be a Russian spy plane transmitting information about movements on the ground.

We have a situation where the rebels have been successful in shooting down Ukrainian military planes with significant loss of life.

We have a plane at an altitude where identification from the ground would almost certainly be impossible unless it had a transponder giving out signals (which it should have had but this might require a sophistication to read them which neither side might have had).

I would suggest conclusions as to blame (other than for the dead Malaysian pilot who took the short cut) is premature at best. Either side could be at fault and both have compelling reasons to play the blame game.

I would not be getting on a Malaysian Airline flight after this for the best discounts on Expedia.
  • Options
    CNN and ABC reports that the israeli goal in Gaza is a quick invasion to get rid of hamas and then get out, some hardliners want a complete and permanent occupation of Gaza by Israel.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    BREAKING NEWS ABC reports the White House is evacuated by bomb threat.

(its one of these days where everything goes wrong)
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    An Argyll & Bute local by-election? Aren't we the lucky ones tonight. An intriguing hint towards the outcome of perhaps the hardest seat to predict in 2015?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    DavidL said:

I would not be getting on a Malaysian Airline flight after this for the best discounts on Expedia.

I would not be surprised if Malaysian Airlines goes bankrupt; I think they were already in trouble after the last one.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,898
    edited July 2014

Apologies for heading off-topic so quickly but I thought this would be of interest. The Russian text of the tweet mentioned on the previous thread that was deleted from their twitter account today by Donetsk Republic rebels is (link is to a cache, don't know how long it will work for):

Донецкая Республика [Donetsk Republic] ‏dnrpress Jun 29

Самоходные зенитно-ракетные комплексы "Бук" на территории зенитно-ракетного полка ПВО А1402 взятого под контроль ДНР.

I hope Avery can give a proper translation later - the google translate version has several clear mistakes and some things it can't translate, but my own Russian is crappy. But it does seem to say what BBC Monitoring are saying it did, broadly: "the Donetsk People's Republic has taken control of "Buk" self-propelled anti-aircraft missile systems in the territory of Air Defence Regiment A1402". June 29th is the date, of course.

The online web capture service "archive.today/" (the old "archive.is") can be used to capture snapshots of specific pages on demand. I have just done so.

* The tweet page as it exists dynamically is here: https://twitter.com/dnrpress/status/483248037629018112
    * The google cache of the tweet as it was on 14 July is here: webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NF6E5FCKFNEJ:https://twitter.com/dnrpress/status/483248037629018112
    * The archive.today archive today of the googlecache of the tweet as at 14 July has been captured and preserved here: https://archive.today/GlTxe

Even after the cache is cleared down the archive copy will still exist
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Unnervingly, a big exercise over the Lune valley and Forest of Bowland this afternoon with Eurofighter Typhhons seemingly providing air cover whilst a Puma conducted an operation in the valley... At one point the Puma hovered over the field behind us whilst the fighters circled above.... May just be that Fallon has opened the purse strings now that Hammond has mov
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

DavidL said:

I would not be surprised if Malaysian Airlines goes bankrupt; I think they were already in trouble after the last one.

Is the government of Malaysia not at least a major shareholder? I don't see them letting the national carrier go bust.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    DavidL said:

I fly frequently to the Far East, and in the immediate aftermath of MAS370 their prices were very competitive - but when I came to book my current flight they had recovered - which is why I am posting this from the Virgin Clubhouse....

A few years back MAS got quite a lot of bad press for their flights approaching Heathrow on fumes... So if cutting corners was involved in this tragedy it would not be a complete surprise ...

• Options
    So the Russians have shot down a civilian airliner, the IDF is moving into Gaza, a TGV has crashed in France, and they're evacuating the White House...

Woo....

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited July 2014
    viewcode said:

So the Russians have shot down a civilian airliner, the IDF is moving into Gaza, a TGV has crashed in France, and they're evacuating the White House...

Woo....

Slow news day.

Hopefully someone off TOWIE tweets something stupid about Magaluf, so that it's not too hard for the press to work out what should make the front pages. Tricky decision otherwise. Don't want brain-cogs overheating.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Too hot to think 32c here mid pm still 25c now
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2014
    **** Footy Betting Post (Mk 2) *****
    Yesterday I suggested a tasty e.w. bet on Fulham's newly-acquired Ross McCormack being the top goalscorer in the Championship for the forthcoming season. As is par for the course there was an absolute nil response to this.
    Undeterred however, and to relieve the boredom of considering this evening's inconsequential local elections, I turn my attention to the corresponding competition in the Premier League.
    I strongly fancy Robin van Persie on offer at around 11/2 will win this season's golden boots award, provided he remains reasonably fit and plays at least 30+ league games, but who else might come into the reckoning?
    On the basis that Swansea's Wilfried Bony, currently available at 32 (29/1 net with Betfair) is likely to move to Liverpool during the current transfer window (he is 1/3 to do so), I fancy him to become the new Sanchez (well not bite quite), but I expect him to outscore Daniel Sturridge, who is best priced at around 7/1. Well worth a pint of OSH in my opinion, but DYOR.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Speedy said:

Well, not everything - but it certainly puts things into proportion domestically wise.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Speedy said:

Well, not everything - but it certainly puts things into proportion domestically wise.
    And the all clear has been given. Unexpected parked car was the cause
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited July 2014

Yesterday I suggested a tasty e.w. bet on Fulham's newly acquired Ross McCormack being the top goalscorer in the Championship for the forthcoming season. As is par for the course there was an absolute nil response to this.
    Undeterred however, and to relieve the boredom of considering this evening's inconsequential local elections, I turn my attention to the corresponding competition in the Premier League.
    I strongly fancy Robin van Persie on offer at around 11/2 will win this season's golden boots award, provided he remains reasonably fit and plays at least 30+ league games, but who else might come into the reckoning?
    On the basis that Swansea's Wilfried Bony, currently available at 32 (29/1 net with Betfair) is likely to move to Liverpool during the current transfer window (he is 1/3 to do so), I fancy him to become the new Sanchez (well not bite quite), but I expect him to outscore Daniel Sturridge, who is best priced at around 7/1. Well worth a pint of OSH in my opinion, but DYOR.

Peter, I did the other day suggest and tip Bony for the same reasons you did.

Great minds think alike.

I also followed you on your Tiger Woods tip

Edit: I'm also on Rickie Lambert at 66/1

Brendan has said Steven Gerrard will only play half the games next season, and the number of penalties Liverpool earn, and Lambert's penalty record, this is what I consider a good trading bet.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    kle4 said:

I'm a sucker for locally focused parties as well, so good luck to 'It's our county' in Ledbury I guess.

http://www.itsourcounty.org/beliefs/statement-of-beliefs/

They make UKIP look sane. Same focus on the joys of the 1950s, though.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Symbol of Malaysia (ymmv on whether that's a positive). Govt support come hell or high water. Always avoided flying on them though....
  • Options
    My other major football bet for next season (Look away now St John)

I've heavily backed Aston Villa to go down

They were shite last year (except for the first 35 mins at Anfield)

They have an owner that is wanting to sell up and not put in any money, they have an uninspiring manager, and a poor squad with only one decent player who has suffered a serious injury and won't be fit until October at the earliest.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I fly frequently to the Far East, and in the immediate aftermath of MAS370 their prices were very competitive - but when I came to book my current flight they had recovered - which is why I am posting this from the Virgin Clubhouse....

A few years back MAS got quite a lot of bad press for their flights approaching Heathrow on fumes... So if cutting corners was involved in this tragedy it would not be a complete surprise ...

No just bad press, under continual investigation by the CAA. One of the reasons the KAL flight was over Sakhalin was that they were cutting a corner for fuel saving reasons. South Korea's probably 20 years ahead of Malaysia. I'd fly KAL/Asiana but not MAS/Air Asia.
  • Options

Yesterday I suggested a tasty e.w. bet on Fulham's newly acquired Ross McCormack being the top goalscorer in the Championship for the forthcoming season. As is par for the course there was an absolute nil response to this.

Great minds think alike.

Brendan has said Steven Gerrard will only play half the games next season, and the number of penalties Liverpool earn, and Lambert's penalty record, this is what I consider a good trading bet.
    Fair enough TSE, I missed your own Bony suggestion. So far so good for Tiger. Those of a nervous disposition could close the win part of this bet at a small profit and rely on him delivering a top 8 finish to deliver the e.w. element.
  • Options

Great minds think alike.

Fair enough TSE, I missed your own Bony suggestion. So far so good for Tiger. Those of a nervous disposition could close the win part of this bet at a small profit and rely on him delivering a top 8 finish to deliver the e.w. element.
    I'm not really a golfing watcher so will do whatever you tell me to do.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Woo....

Slow news day.

Hopefully someone off TOWIE tweets something stupid about Magaluf, so that it's not too hard for the press to work out what should make the front pages. Tricky decision otherwise. Don't want brain-cogs overheating.
    LOL!

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Great minds think alike.

Who'd slot in behind whom out of Bony and Sturridge? I know Suarez and Studge rotated last season, but he's always seemed happier in more advanced positions. He looks a little lost otherwise.
  • Options

Great minds think alike.

TSE - if you've just had a few quid on Tiger, then suggest you stay with him, at least for now.
    I don't fancy Lambert as top PL goalscorer .... for me he doesn't have that all-important killer instinct.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Julian E. Barnes ✔ @julianbarnes

US Defense official: "If the separatists shot it down, it couldn't have been done without Russian assistance." #MH17

• Options
    Grandiose said:

Great minds think alike.

Who'd slot in behind whom out of Bony and Sturridge? I know Suarez and Studge rotated last season, but he's always seemed happier in more advanced positions. He looks a little lost otherwise.
    Two of them out and out strikers, with Coutinhoo or Lallana behind them
  • Options

Great minds think alike.

TSE - if you've just had a few quid on Tiger, then suggest you stay with him, at least for now.
    I don't fancy Lambert as top PL goalscorer .... for me he doesn't have that all-important killer instinct.
    Cheers, I stuck £20 quid on.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Grandiose said:

Great minds think alike.

You'd expect them to both (Bony and Studge) to play most matches?

p.s. does anyone on here do fantasy football?
  • Options

Great minds think alike.

Strange watching Tiger today. Didn't see lots but saw him miss the fairway by miles a couple of times - yet strangely reminiscent of the Tiger of old in that respect. Never has doing so badly augered so well.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

Great minds think alike.

Yes. Rodgers' strategy has generally play 2 up front.

It's the reason we scored 100+ goals last season.

I know, there's no Suarez, but Suarez either scored or assisted 43 Liverpool goals, so if you take those away, last season, we still scored as many league goals as Arsenal.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2014
    TSE - Not sure about your Villa relegation bet, I think St John might actually agree with you though!
    On the back of my (ignored) Ross McCormack betting suggestion yesterday, I fancy Fulham for promotion at 10/3 with Bet Victor.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    Have we started bombing Moscow yet? :O
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Argentine striker Leo Ulloa looks set to leave Brighton and Hove Albion for Premier League Leicester City.

http://brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/breaking-ulloa-way-leicester-city/
  • Options

TSE - Not sure about your Villa relegation bet, I think St John might actually agree with you though!
    On the back of my (ignored) Ross McCormack betting suggestion yesterday, I fancy Fulham for promotion at 10/3 with Bet Victor.

The reason I'm not going for the McCormack bet or the promotion bet is because I've read stories the players aren't fans of Magath.

Plus the Fulham chairman seems a bit trigger happy.
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 20s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead jumps to seven points: CON 32%, LAB 39%, LD 8%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead jumps to seven points: CON 32%, LAB 39%, LD 8%, UKIP 13%

• Options

The reason I'm not going for the McCormack bet or the promotion bet is because I've read stories the players aren't fans of Magath.

If they can't, unsuprisingly, stand the heat of the kitchen ........
  • Options
    The other football bet, which I know, is wrong, but something tells me is going to happen.

Liverpool to meet Barca in the champs league.

Skybet are offering 3/1 on such a thing
  • Options
    6 people from the UK were on that flight
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    The final YouGov/Sun poll of the week has LAB with 7% lead
    LAB - 39% (+3)
    CON - 32% (-1)
    LD- 8 (-1)
    UKIP - 13% (=)
  • Options

Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

Great minds think alike.

I know, there's no Suarez, but Suarez either scored or assisted 43 Liverpool goals, so if you take those away, last season, we still scored as many league goals as Arsenal.
    One of Sturridge or Suarez acted as trequartista. If Studge and Bony are going to be strikers, it's going to put a lot of pressure on the Countinho/Lallana player behind them. I wonder if the former is up to it.
  • Options

Very disappointing for Dave & Co. on the back of the reshuffle, but probably too late to impact on Prof. Stephen Fisher's weekly GE seats projection tomorrow.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

Great minds think alike.

One of Sturridge or Suarez acted as trequartista. If Studge and Bony are going to be strikers, it's going to put a lot of pressure on the Countinho/Lallana player behind them. I wonder if the former is up to it.
    He is, I heart Coutinho.
  • Options

Fulham need to get organised if they want to be promoted. Like Norwich, it was chaotic. Aston Villa were largely the same.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    Swansea to go down is worth a look at 5-1. Fits the Norwich profile from last season
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Highest Labour figure for quite a while. In other surprising news, Juncker and Cameron exchange high-fives when they meet:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/17/junker-cameron-high-five-european-meeting-brussels

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    One note on Harry's summary . Marri Malloy in Oban is an Independent Nationalist . The SNP in Oban and the environs has had a severe split between its members over candidate selection in this and the previous by election in Oban North
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Rexel56 said:

Unnervingly, a big exercise over the Lune valley and Forest of Bowland this afternoon with Eurofighter Typhhons seemingly providing air cover whilst a Puma conducted an operation in the valley... At one point the Puma hovered over the field behind us whilst the fighters circled above.... May just be that Fallon has opened the purse strings now that Hammond has mov

On the other hand these things are hardly put together over a 48 hr period. It could just be that the defence budget is matching operations now perhaps?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Tonights YG LAB 368 CON 236 LD 21 Other 25

Ed is crap is landslide PM 41 weeks to go. Every poll including PB Tory trestle table ones has EICIPM
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    GIN1138 said:

Where's Ronald Reagan when you need him [wink]
  • Options
    Plato said:

GIN1138 said:

Don't worry,we will have Ed milliband as our PM next year ;-)

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    DavidL - did the dead Malaysian pilot take a short cut? Can you take short cuts? Don't you follow traffic control directions.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Tonights YG LAB 368 CON 236 LD 21 Other 25

Ed is crap is landslide PM 41 weeks to go. Every poll including PB Tory trestle table ones has EICIPM

http://i.imgur.com/11ZHp9I.jpg
  • Options

Plato said:

GIN1138 said:

Don't joke - too many people have yet to prepare themselves for that eventuality, they aren't ready to accept it yet.
  • Options
    Plato said:

GIN1138 said:

....or Kenny Everett.
  • Options
    enfantenfant Posts: 34
    I see that TSE is concentrating on football tonight.No comment on sleazy,broken Labour on the rise.
  • Options

Irrespective of when or where air disasters take place, it seems there are invariably Brits on board.

• Options
    When will the Tories start hitting the panic button?
  • Options
    enfant said:

I see that TSE is concentrating on football tonight.No comment on sleazy,broken Labour on the rise.

Shhh.....we don't mention THEM polls.
  • Options

Plato said:

GIN1138 said:

I knew you would come around to our way of thinking. Your man in Corby is doing well so I hear.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Great minds think alike.

I'm backing Man Utd to finish above Liverpool, but will probably do it on the points spread. I don't think Liverpool will finish top four next season.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Still think LAB lead is pretty stable at 3 to 4%.in reality

Unless ICM is right and all other pollsters are wrong which I know some on here are confident is the case.

Good prices available on betfair if that turns out to be the case.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I actually think they may not anymore. There was a time 1-2 years ago where it seemed they were always tearing themselves to bits over the very real possibility Labour would win in 2015, and even though as far as I can see that still seems very likely, they appear to have steeled themselves to it somewhat. They seem more on message, less panicky - blatantly presentation focused reshuffle notwithstanding - and less self harming.

None of which seems to be helping at all, Labour seem more likely to have a trend of a slight decline every now and then than the Tories rising for a sustained period, but they may have either resigned themselves to what will be, become so overconfident in the other direction they are inured to panic, or simply worn out by it all and have stopped reacting as, whoever is right, there's not much chance of changing opinions now.
  • Options
    I don't think this got mentioned on PB today

Labour plan to part re-nationalise rail network

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28349630

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Irrespective of when or where air disasters take place, it seems there are invariably Brits on board.

- and Americans, Germans and (usually) some Chinese.

Had an early lunch today, watching the Open on one TV and news on another, when the news of the crash came up.

One of our number, (not me although it's precisely my sort of line), observed that at last Malaysian Airlines has learned from golf - crash them where you can find them.
  • Options
    woody662 said:

Swansea to go down is worth a look at 5-1. Fits the Norwich profile from last season

Thanks for that - I agree. In fact Hills offer the best odds at 11/2 ..... I'm on.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Still can't quite believe today's news.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    When you look at Flightradar 24, you will see flights such as Singapore Airlines SIA317 from London Heathrow to Singapore, which was flying over the same area of Ukraine very close to when this Malaysian plane was shot down. I have flown on that route numerous times and often wondered abour dangerous areas below
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    enfant said:

I know you're quite stupid, but have a look at the first poster to post the YouGov figures on here tonight
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I'm not a Tory, but I'd imagine that if we approach the new year without signs of swingback at or near what is required that would begin to raise serious alarm. The Tory plan was always to do unpopular things but be vindicated with time to spare, if they get within 6 months and aren't on the right path electorally as well as (to them at least) economically I think concerns will mount.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Wilfred Bony.....Swansea do not need money and with Michu seemingly on his way I think they will do everything to hang onto him. Despite me being a lifelong Cardiff fan, I think they will stay up. There are some pretty awful teams towards the bottom of the Prem and they are not the worst of a bad bunch.
    We know Ross McC of old. Despite doing well for Cardiff he did have some well documented issues off field problems and I am not sure that he will settle in well when the bright lights of London beckon. I do not think Fulham are a good bet for promotion.
  • Options
    When will Labour start hitting the panic button that they may actually have to govern for five years with a leader that's despised before he's even done anything and without any money to doll out to Unions and their client voters?

What a Parliament the 2015 to 2020 one could be!
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

Very disappointing for Dave & Co. on the back of the reshuffle, but probably too late to impact on Prof. Stephen Fisher's weekly GE seats projection tomorrow.
    The reshuffle will have no affect whatsoever, as most people would not have known many of the previous ministers who have left, apart from Gove. The new ministers are a bit dull and are unlikely to move people to back the Tories.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

enfant said:

Definitely an outlier...to be ignored!

• Options
    I saw it,and simply noted that you left out your usual snide comment.
    I see normal service has been resumed in your response.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

When will Labour start hitting the panic button that they may actually have to govern for five years with a leader that's despised before he's even done anything and without any money to doll out to Unions and their client voters?

Nah, swingback, crossover with added Cameroon surge will gave a Tory majority in 41 weeks time. Have you not ready the Lambert and Butler Election Predictor (Pony Juice version). Cameron PM nailed on!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Lets not forget on top of all of today, ISIS etc, flying under the radar...

Several shells hit the terminal of Libya's main airport on Thursday as rival militias fought in Tripoli for a fifth day, and gunmen assassinated a female politician in the east.

Tripoli International Airport has been a battlefield since fighters attacked it with heavy guns on Sunday to wrest control from a rival militia which has been based there since the fall of Libya's late ruler Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

The conflict is fuelling worries that Libya is on the point of turning into a failed state where a weak central government is powerless to control the militias which helped oust Gaddafi.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/17/uk-libya-security-idUKKBN0FM1N420140717
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    valleyboy said:

enfant said:

Clear outlier IMO too. But it's another day gone. Labour fairly happy going into the summer recess. All eyes on conference season now.
  • Options
    enfant said:

I saw it,and simply noted that you left out your usual snide comment.
    I see normal service has been resumed in your response.

If you think that's snide, I'm quite happy to show you what snide is.

But not tonight.
  • Options

Plato said:

GIN1138 said:

I knew you would come around to our way of thinking. Your man in Corby is doing well so I hear.
    I haven't,just sarcastic me ;-) but a labour government,I would be proberly be better off,god help the middle classes though ;-)

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

2015-20 could indeed be very messy, particularly if there is a hung parliament despite the dramatically reduced LD contingent. Say the Big 2 reverse their seat positions (so Lab 305, Con 255) but unlike 2010 there are only 30 LDs*. Instead of a coalition with a fairly healthy majority, we'd be left with either a minority administration or very fragile coalition government.

Could be much more difficult than 2010-15 turned out to be, despite initial concerns. And I don't think those seat totals are particularly implausible.

*OK, so because of the fewer LDs let's say it's 315/280 for the Big 2. The overall scenario still stands.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

valleyboy said:

enfant said:

Clear outlier IMO too. But it's another day gone. Labour fairly happy going into the summer recess.
    I thought the PLP looked pretty glum as they sat behind Ed The Younger yesterday!
  • Options
    On the bright side at least the excuse of mid term polls seem to have fallen off the excuse board.

Tic toc Tic toc http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?day=7&month=5&msg=UK+General+Election&p0=0&year=2015

just over 293 and counting
  • Options
    Let's meet,you can show me in person.
    I can be anywhere you suggest
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2014
    O/T:

Thanks for the Malmö travel advice from last night. Turned out to be a lot more interesting than expected. Huge amount of construction going on, especially on the waterfront.
  • Options
    enfant said:

Let's meet,you can show me in person.
    I can be anywhere you suggest

Ohhhh a PB romance.

**** Clicks on Ebay to order hat ****
This discussion has been closed.