Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Extraordinary. Gove was killed by Lynton Crosby’s private p

124»

Comments

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Here is a list of the 31 MP's who voted against the DRIPping away of our civil liberties today, well done to all of them!

http://tumblr.nickjackson.me/post/91856571960/if-your-mp-is-on-this-list-they-voted-against

Despite seeing my local MP at her surgery last Saturday morning, imploring her to vote against, she wasn't one of them - oh well.
  • Options

Mr Driscoll told BBC Newsnight that while conducting a 1998 inquiry ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28316874

This is why the s##t could go everywhere. I do love the way the BBC are totally and utterly focused on saying the 1980's, 1980's, 1980's....I've no idea why they don't seem to have any interest in the 1970s, after all the dossier etc was very very early 1980's i.e I'm sure involved incidents / people alleged to be active in the 1970's.

And of course we all know about PIE, and various high profile individuals links to that organisation, in the 1970's...

But if you just listened to the BBC, you would think that establishment paedos only operated in the 1980's. Not before, not after.

Well put, its as if any history pre-1979 has been airbrushed completely from history.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,225
    Speedy Agree, though at least Dubya allowed Lehmans to go bust, unlike Brown who bailed out every one which asked and orchestrated the disastrous Lloyds takeover of HBOS
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Speedy said:

Smarmeron said:

@Speedy
    Or the Boston Tea Party?
    It is only when the people protest that anything really changes, and those at the top like to make sure we don't.

That is true, Thatcher was going under only when the middle class rioted in London against the huge increase in housing taxes for them, also known as the poll tax in 1990.
    Or when the republicans lost the west coast after the 1992 L.A. riots, never to regain it again.
    The poll tax rioters in London were Trots and assorted ne'er do wells. Complaining about a tax which to them was no more than a packet of fags each week.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    hunchman said:

Here is a list of the 31 MP's who voted against the DRIPping away of our civil liberties today, well done to all of them!

http://tumblr.nickjackson.me/post/91856571960/if-your-mp-is-on-this-list-they-voted-against

Despite seeing my local MP at her surgery last Saturday morning, imploring her to vote against, she wasn't one of them - oh well.

The key for why so many MP's voted for it .
    "It’s also legislation which states that MPs should be exempt from this blatant invasion of privacy."
    MP's to be above the law they vote for all others.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Socrates said:

Smarmeron said:

@Speedy
    Or the Boston Tea Party?
    It is only when the people protest that anything really changes, and those at the top like to make sure we don't.

Boston Tea Party made things worse. What was a simple tax disagreement turned into a situation of violence and then a repressive response to that violence.
    Like the english civil war no taxation without represenation or a shift of power to parliament, the diffence was that the colonists couldn't conquer Britain and cut the head off George III.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,538
    hunchman said:

This is why the s##t could go everywhere. I do love the way the BBC are totally and utterly focused on saying the 1980's, 1980's, 1980's....I've no idea why they don't seem to have any interest in the 1970s, after all the dossier etc was very very early 1980's i.e I'm sure involved incidents / people alleged to be active in the 1970's.

And of course we all know about PIE, and various high profile individuals links to that organisation, in the 1970's...

But if you just listened to the BBC, you would think that establishment paedos only operated in the 1980's. Not before, not after.

Well put, its as if any history pre-1979 has been airbrushed completely from history.
    When you looked at the pleadings and indeed the reported cases where the Church and numerous other institutions have been sued for child sex abuse nearly all of the evidence averred and referred to has been earlier than the 80s.

The most recent Supreme Court case was this one: The Catholic Child Welfare Society and others v Various Claimants (FC), The Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools and others reported last year.
    It involved allegations of the abuse of 170 boys between 1958 and 1992. In my experience this is pretty typical.

• Options
    surbiton said:

"The prime minister, who has often been criticised for a lackadaisical approach to government, showed that he had learnt from his political hero Harold Macmillan when he wielded the No 10 carving knife in a manner rarely seen in recent years. Macmillan famously sacked a third of his cabinet in 1962 in the "night of the long knives"."
    -----

What happened in the GE that followed ?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/15/cameron-sacks-toxic-gove-promotes-women-reshuffle

Well I heard last night referred to as the 'night of the thong wives'! And I think its a reshuffle more out of weakness rather than strength, removing both Gove and Patterson as the 2 most unpopular ministers from their posts, and the response to Ashcroft Crosby polling. Meanwhile, this was easily the most important appointment of the lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Hill,_Baron_Hill_of_Oareford

Who had heard of him before yesterday? I certainly hadn't!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

hunchman said:

The key for why so many MP's voted for it .
    "It’s also legislation which states that MPs should be exempt from this blatant invasion of privacy."
    MP's to be above the law they vote for all others.
    Do as I say, not as I do.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Speedy said:

Smarmeron said:

@Speedy
    Or the Boston Tea Party?

That is true, Thatcher was going under only when the middle class rioted in London against the huge increase in housing taxes for them, also known as the poll tax in 1990.
    Or when the republicans lost the west coast after the 1992 L.A. riots, never to regain it again.
    The poll tax rioters in London were Trots and assorted ne'er do wells. Complaining about a tax which to them was no more than a packet of fags each week.

1 million trots just in London would have given the SWP quite a number of seats.
    Or with the 18 million who refused to pay the tax, majority government.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    DavidL said:

hunchman said:

When you looked at the pleadings and indeed the reported cases where the Church and numerous other institutions have been sued for child sex abuse nearly all of the evidence averred and referred to has been earlier than the 80s.

The most recent Supreme Court case was this one: The Catholic Child Welfare Society and others v Various Claimants (FC), The Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools and others reported last year.
    It involved allegations of the abuse of 170 boys between 1958 and 1992. In my experience this is pretty typical.

I was very glad that Baroness Butler Sloss won't be heading up the inquiry after her late brother was AG at the time to which some of the inquiry relates, as well as the allegation that she was prepared to cover up for a bishop involved to 'protect the church'. Had quite an argument with my local MP over this at the surgery last Saturday morning, so Monday was quite a satisfying day! I found it amazing that she couldn't read the tea leaves by the time of the surgery!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    A parting gift for William Hague:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/15/libya-tripoli-airport-closed-rocket-attacks

Libya calls to be re-invaded to help put down CIA linked general who wants to ousts islamists from power put there by the help of William Hague.
    Where is Gaddafi when you need him? Oh that's right, dead.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,538
    hunchman said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

I was very glad that Baroness Butler Sloss won't be heading up the inquiry after her late brother was AG at the time to which some of the inquiry relates, as well as the allegation that she was prepared to cover up for a bishop involved to 'protect the church'. Had quite an argument with my local MP over this at the surgery last Saturday morning, so Monday was quite a satisfying day! I found it amazing that she couldn't read the tea leaves by the time of the surgery!
    The bishop allegation was the more concerning of the two. I think she did the right thing in standing down.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,225
    Speedy Well thank goodness we did not topple Assad
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    hunchman said:

surbiton said:

"The prime minister, who has often been criticised for a lackadaisical approach to government, showed that he had learnt from his political hero Harold Macmillan when he wielded the No 10 carving knife in a manner rarely seen in recent years. Macmillan famously sacked a third of his cabinet in 1962 in the "night of the long knives"."
    -----

What happened in the GE that followed ?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/15/cameron-sacks-toxic-gove-promotes-women-reshuffle

Well I heard last night referred to as the 'night of the thong wives'! And I think its a reshuffle more out of weakness rather than strength, removing both Gove and Patterson as the 2 most unpopular ministers from their posts, and the response to Ashcroft Crosby polling. Meanwhile, this was easily the most important appointment of the lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Hill,_Baron_Hill_of_Oareford

Who had heard of him before yesterday? I certainly hadn't!
    He will get a good job in Brussels. Carrying Juncker's briefcase.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,076
    Ian Katz (@iankatz1000)
    15/07/2014 21:54
    Tories have made 37 ministerial appointments today but can't - or won't - field one of them to go on #newsnight
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited July 2014
    HYUFD said:

SeanF Indeed, a clear 1/3 of the Parliament now anti Federalist. Ironically it was the Parliament's support for Juncker which was supposed to be the reason for the Council to endorse him, his 'mandate' clearly less than overwhelming. Not good for Dave's powers of persuasion therefore that he could not get even 10% of the Council of Ministers to support him.

WTF? He won 422 to 250. That's a huge, crushing, overwhelming majority. Hardly anyone wins a parliamentary vote by a margin like that.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    On topic I think there's something to be said for Cameron's approach here. Blair woud have looked at the polling sooner and stepped in to stop his ministers doing unpopular things. Cameron gives them a good four years to do what they think is best without meddling or micro-managing, and only steps in if the minister has proved that they're a clear liability and they're not going to turn the thing around.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    This evening I heard - form a reliable source - a very convoluted, but clever, explanation and analysis of why Gove's move is a good thing, for several different reasons.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

This evening I heard - form a reliable source - a very convoluted, but clever, explanation and analysis of why Gove's move is a good thing, for several different reasons.

Go on Mr L, pray tell.

• Options

JohnLoony said:

Go on Mr L, pray tell.
    If I remember correctly:

(a) Gove is unpopular with the teachers. Therefore the mad lefty teachers will be fooled into thinking that his departure as Education Secretary is a good thing, because they are mad enough to think that the policy will change with someone else. Merely by Gove not being there any more, a few gullible wishy-washy teachers will be persuaded to vote Conservative again.

(b) The new Education Secretary is a woman and therefore useful window-dressing.

(c) Gove is popular with normal people (i.e. parents and people, rather than teachers) and will therefore be persuasive in his new propaganda and campaigning position.

(d) All of Gove's education reforms have already been enacted, and are therefore secure and will look after themselves in their implementation.

(e) Gove was getting bored and wanted to move to something else anyway. By making it look as though he has been "demoted", the mad lefty teachers will be fooled into thinking that he has been "sacked".

(f)(g)(h) There were probably a few more reasons, but I'm not clever enough to remember or understand them all.

(i) Michael Gove looks like Heinrich Himmler, so therefore... erm... I can't remember that bit.
  • Options
    Many thanks for your précis Mr L
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

jayfdee said:

HYUFD said:

jayfdee It has not aged, core power play never does, and Kevin Spacey's US version also very watchable

Also re watching " Edge of darkness" it still disturbs me,and the music courtesy of Clapo really adds to the sinister effect.
    If you two are stripmining past political dramas, you may want to compare "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (the 1979 BBC version) and "Washington: Behind Closed Doors". Both are on YouTube.

The Alec Guinness version on TV was absolutely brilliant. The film a couple of years ago was seriously disappointing.

I *really* like the Guinness version, and was pleasantly surprised by how well it'd aged. The recent film version: well, it had sparks, and Gary Oldman was wonderful, but I thought it was overdesigned (the Circus interiors were rubbish), they muffed the Heydon reveal ,and finally squeezed too much plot into not enough time. Still like it, tho...
    I liked both versions of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy", but that may be because of the order in which I watched them.
    (a) the 2011 film
    (b) the book
    (c) the 1979 TV series.
    I was too young to watch the 1979 version the first time, although I was aware of my father being a big fan of it. After I saw the 2011 film, he loaned me the book, and as I read it I was imagining Alec Guinness as Smiley but the other characters as they were from the 2011 film.
  • Options
    P.S. I think UKIP had something to do with it as well
This discussion has been closed.