Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s World Cup Final – how party supporters are split

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714

Anyone have Germany for the WC in a bet ?

Since they went medieval on Portugal.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,084
    edited July 2014
    Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

He was asked what the difference was, and apologised for the inference that the "you know" comment made.

But its a fact that most people would rather live next door to Germans than Romanians, and for the same reasons as Farage stated later.

I guess if it were you, the Romanian ambassador or a German prince as a neighbour would be much of a muchness, but try living in Barking for a while and answering the question honestly #cloudcuckooland

I never lived in Barking, but I did rent a bedroom in a shared house in Southwark; my brother lived in Mile End.

I'm sure that people would rather live next to a decent, hard working family with 2.4 children and a pet dog. They may assume that those characteristics are more likely to be found among one group vs another.

But a politician shouldn't try to win votes by giving voice to ugly sentiments.

Unless the time you lived in that area was in the last ten years, its completely meaningless

Farage answered a question honestly in a hostile interview, and it turns out he was on the right side of public opinion... he wasn't trying to win votes by it I shouldn't think, although he may well in areas of mass Eastern European immigration.. they cant afford your lofty morals
    Would it have been acceptable if Farage had said most people wouldn't want to live next to Jews or Blacks?

What is the line between acceptable and unacceptable?
    Why pick out Farage? Opinion polls say that most people would prefer Germans over Romanians as neighbours
    Because he's asking us to vote for him and his party.
    Well he said what most people think, and his party are on the up

Tonight though is one ocassion where people may prefer Romanians as neighbours, as I guess most Germans will be very noisy until the early hours
  • Options
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,240
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

He was asked what the difference was, and apologised for the inference that the "you know" comment made.

But its a fact that most people would rather live next door to Germans than Romanians, and for the same reasons as Farage stated later.

I guess if it were you, the Romanian ambassador or a German prince as a neighbour would be much of a muchness, but try living in Barking for a while and answering the question honestly #cloudcuckooland

I never lived in Barking, but I did rent a bedroom in a shared house in Southwark; my brother lived in Mile End.

I'm sure that people would rather live next to a decent, hard working family with 2.4 children and a pet dog. They may assume that those characteristics are more likely to be found among one group vs another.

Unless the time you lived in that area was in the last ten years, its completely meaningless

Farage answered a question honestly in a hostile interview, and it turns out he was on the right side of public opinion... he wasn't trying to win votes by it I shouldn't think, although he may well in areas of mass Eastern European immigration.. they cant afford your lofty morals
    Would it have been acceptable if Farage had said most people wouldn't want to live next to Jews or Blacks?

Why pick out Farage? Opinion polls say that most people would prefer Germans over Romanians as neighbours
    But I suspect if you did an anonymous opinion poll, you might find that a most people would prefer White over Black neighbours. Or Christian over Jewish neighbours. It just isn't a polite comment to make.

Personally, I think Farage mis-spoke, and meant to say 'Roma'. And I also think people miss the rest of the comment, about unemployed men. (Frankly, who wouldn't rather have an employed family of any nationality, rather than unemployment men of any nationality?)

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

But I suspect if you did an anonymous opinion poll, you might find that a most people would prefer White over Black neighbours. Or Christian over Jewish neighbours. It just isn't a polite comment to make.

Personally, I think Farage mis-spoke, and meant to say 'Roma'. And I also think people miss the rest of the comment, about unemployed men. (Frankly, who wouldn't rather have an employed family of any nationality, rather than unemployment men of any nationality?)

So you would agree,the free movement of people needs changing ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Tonight though is one ocassion where people may prefer Romanians as neighbours, as I guess most Germans will be very noisy until the early hours
    I agree with Burke.

Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays instead of serving you if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

and again

parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices, ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2014
    This very talented and young German team looks like its going to dominant World football in the way Spain did until recently.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

I agree with Burke.

Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays instead of serving you if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

and again

parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices, ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole.
    Anna Soubry has it right (talking about Farage)

"I do not like your tone. You don't talk facts, you talk prejudice, you scaremonger, you put fear in people's hearts."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    edited July 2014
    Congrats to Germany, but if ever there was a slow news thread, this is it! Does confirm UKIP voters as most isolationist though, only party with a plurality refusing to back either
  • Options
    Arsenal will have 3 WC winners for the new season ;-)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Farage was asked the question! He didn't volunteer the description

The countries are no more than a proxy for how wealthy and law abiding you would like you neighbours to be, and the average stereotype is the only thing to use in a forced "one or the other"

It's like asking would you prefer very rich neighbours to move in or extremely poor? That's all it really boils down to, but people want to use faux outrage to bite ukip... Problem us, most people agreed with them
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Presentation ceremony taking forever.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Nobody's fault, of course, but the bottle-warmer appears to be broken and we didn't notice. As a result the cat's bedtime milk was not at the correct temperature. Well, my dears, if looks could kill. He is settling down now next to Herself but I fear we are in for a dawn meow session as he takes his revenge.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

I agree with Burke.

and again

Do you have any idea how pompous you come across?

He was asked a question, he answered honestly. It reflected public opinion, the establishment don't like that so tried to make something of it

• Options

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

I agree with Burke.

and again

"I do not like your tone. You don't talk facts, you talk prejudice, you scaremonger, you put fear in people's hearts."
    I saw that question time... That's was hammy acting worthy of Midsomer Murders
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Hd

I agree with Burke.

and again

But accurate.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Am I the only one who thinks it a little disturbing to see so many people with their iPhones at the end of their outstretched right arms, filming successful Germans?

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    That'll be England in 2026.
  • Options

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Hd

ments.

I agree with Burke.

and again

But accurate.
    Nah. She's no good. Faux outrage, not even a conservative.

Listen, on a topical theme, the German Romanian neighbour question, could just as easily be

"who would you prefer to take a penalty for your side, a German or an Romanian?"

You could say German and get Mrs Merkel, while the Romanian would have been Gheorge Hagi, but if you have to answer you'd be best off saying German on average. No more than that.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856

Am I the only one who thinks it a little disturbing to see so many people with their iPhones at the end of their outstretched right arms, filming successful Germans?

I fear you are over analysing.....

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

And Argentina. But my main bet was on Brazil. I cashed out once Neymar was injured but betting-wise, this was a poor World Cup. My main belief (aside from Brazil winning) was that the Americans would do better than expected, but I never worked out how to bet on it.
  • Options
    Actually a better way of making the German or Romanian neighbour point would be to make ourselves the active person... Anyone living in your street can afford to live there and in all probability has the same kind of earnings as you,

The question should be 'would you rather move to an area of England with a large population of Germans or Romanians ?'
  • Options
    James Rodriguez top scorer weighs in
  • Options

It maybe ,if England keep bringing through youth teams like this,but at all levels.

England win European Under-17 Championship on penalties

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27512259
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Has King Dan announced that todays revelations about Tory ministers and Thatcher is a disaster for Miliband yet?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

It maybe ,if England keep bringing through youth teams like this,but at all levels.

Probably 2022.
  • Options

And prem clubs give English youth a chance ;-)
  • Options
    edited July 2014

And Argentina. But my main bet was on Brazil. I cashed out once Neymar was injured but betting-wise, this was a poor World Cup. My main belief (aside from Brazil winning) was that the Americans would do better than expected, but I never worked out how to bet on it.
    Well I profited the enourmous amount of 55p from this match and in total 3.40 pounds throughout the world cup despite losing almost all my gains on germany vs ghana.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Probably 2022.
    Spain/Argentina kept bringing through winning youth teams,over a certain period,it paid off in the long run ;-)

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Hd

I agree with Burke.

and again

But accurate.
    I am very much looking forward to the return of Dr Palmer to Westminster at the next election. Not only because I consider him to be a good man but because it will be such a pleasure to see Ms Soubry out on her ear.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,333
    edited July 2014
    MIRROR: Abused in kids home linked to Blair MP

Award winning author: I was abused at council care home linked to ex-Labour minister

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/award-winning-author-abused-council-3852554

It seems to me like the Mirror is being fed a lot of information (I think by the Exaro news people), and trying to run with these stories, in the way in which the Guardian did for phone hacking.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014

Has King Dan announced that todays revelations about Tory ministers and Thatcher is a disaster for Miliband yet?

What 'revelations' were those?

The UK seems to have gone completely, utterly mad. Of course it's not the first time - some of the 'revelations' are almost word-for-word like those of the Popish plot, except that then it was crucifixes rather than rent boys that were the subject of the 'revelations'.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    HYUFD said:

Congrats to Germany, but if ever there was a slow news thread, this is it! Does confirm UKIP voters as most isolationist though, only party with a plurality refusing to back either

I thought that - there go UKIP wanting to live on a nother planet again.
  • Options

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

I agree with Burke.

and again

Agreed

• Options

(Throws up) May I make it more specific before we think its The Tony Blair.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/award-winning-author-abused-council-3852554
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I am very much looking forward to the return of Dr Palmer to Westminster at the next election. Not only because I consider him to be a good man but because it will be such a pleasure to see Ms Soubry out on her ear.

Yes, Nick is just your sort of politician:

Voted very strongly for the Iraq war
    Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war
    Voted strongly for more EU integration
    Voted very strongly against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU
    Voted strongly for introducing ID cards
    Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10472/nick_palmer/broxtowe/votes#home

• Options
    Itv better than bbc for me World Cup wise

Wrighty, Hoddle, and theme tune the main reasons
  • Options
    Same could be said of Germany,look at the German Team/Squad that beat England in the european U-21's final 4 nil,only 5 years ago that went on to win the 2014 WC.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jun/29/england-under-21s
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Yes, he's just your sort of politician:

At least he is steady in his New Labour thoughts.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    Flightpath Indeed, they were probably watching reruns of Midsommer Murders tonight
  • Options
    Speedy said:

(Throws up) May I make it more specific before we think its The Tony Blair.
    That headline is pretty awful (even by the Mirror's standards).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alternatively it could imply that there are more UKIP supporters with no interest in the World Cup at all. It is a remarkably odd position to take to feel that someone ought to suport one team or another just for the sake of it.

And given that the 'neither' reply was given by 42% of respondents overall it seems that UKIP supporters are not so far from the norm with that attitude.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Speedy said:

Yes, he's just your sort of politician:

At least he is steady in his New Labour thoughts.
    Absolutely, a good loyal party man.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Hd

Is.

Us

Wes
    I agree with Burke.

and again

But accurate.
    Yes, I'm shocked that Kippers want to see Labour MPs returned, so we won't have a referendum on the European Union.

I'm shocked I tell you.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

A good point but wasted on a UKIP supporter - there is nothing unacceptable that Farage can say, simply saying it makes it acceptable. Lines? Come on!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alternatively it could imply that there are more UKIP supporters with no interest in the World Cup at all. It is a remarkably odd position to take to feel that someone ought to suport one team or another just for the sake of it.

And given that the 'neither' reply was given by 42% of respondents overall it seems that UKIP supporters are not so far from the norm with that attitude.
    I thought that a strange criticism of ukip supporters

Obv I am one, and I didn't care who won tonight, not out of some pathological hatred of foreigners, but because I quite like both teams.... Is that ok?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Same could be said of Germany,look at the German Team/Squad that beat England in the european U-21's final 4 nil,only 5 years ago that went on to win the 2014 WC.

England: Loach; Cranie, Richards, Onuoha, Gibbs, Muamba, Cattermole; Noble, Milner, Adam Johnson, Walcott

Germany: Neuer; Beck, J. Boateng, Höwedes, Boenisch; Hummels; Johnson, Castro, Khedira, Özil; S. Wagner

Of that England U21, Walcott would have been there at this WC and that is it. Germany, upteen in the team and Johnson was very good for USA in this world cup.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

No he is a friend and, even though his views are very different to mine on many subjects, he is an honest man who doesn't hide his opinions. Believe it or not (and I know you might find this a difficult concept to grasp) somethings are more important than politics.
  • Options

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Hd

Is.

Us

Wes
    I agree with Burke.

and again

But accurate.
    Yes, I'm shocked that Kippers want to see Labour MPs returned, so we won't have a referendum on the European Union.

I'm shocked I tell you.
    See my answer to Richard N - and try not to faint at the horror of the thought that politics may not be the most important thing in the world.
  • Options

England: Loach; Cranie, Richards, Onuoha, Gibbs, Muamba, Cattermole; Noble, Milner, Adam Johnson, Walcott

Germany: Neuer; Beck, J. Boateng, Höwedes, Boenisch; Hummels; Johnson, Castro, Khedira, Özil; S. Wagner
    I know,I don't know if I should laugh or cry,comparing the 2 teams ;-)

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    isam said:

No way.

Seedorf, and Henry especially were excellent.

ITV punditry poor as usual.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

No he is a friend and, even though his views are very different to mine on many subjects, he is an honest man who doesn't hide his opinions. Believe it or not (and I know you might find this s difficult concept to grasp) somethings are more important than politics.

Yes, he is an honest man who doesn't hide his opinions, and yes, I like him too.

The amusing thing, though, is your hypocrisy. You go on and on about dislikiing party loyalists, and Nick is a good party loyalist. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but you seem to think there is, or at least you do in respect of others. And Anna Soubry is also honest and doesn't hide her opinions (which, incidentally, on all the issues you are particularly interested in, such as the EU and civil liberties, are much the same as Nick's), but you give her absolutely no credit for that.

Your prejudice is so transparent!
  • Options

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Hd

Is.

Us

Wes
    I agree with Burke.

and again

But accurate.

I'm shocked I tell you.
    See my answer to Richard N - and try not to faint at the horror of the thought that politics may not be the most important thing in the world.
    Oh it's not.

I shall be meeting the good Dr Palmer in September, I look forward to it.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

No he is a friend and, even though his views are very different to mine on many subjects, he is an honest man who doesn't hide his opinions. Believe it or not (and I know you might find this s difficult concept to grasp) somethings are more important than politics.

Yes, he is an honest man who doesn't hide his opinions, and yes, I like him too.

The amusing thing, though, is your hypocrisy. You go on and on about dislikiing party loyalists, and Nick is a good party loyalist. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but you seem to think there is, or at least you do in respect of others. And Anna Soubry is also honest and doesn't hide her opinions, but you give her absolutely no credit for that.

Did you miss the bit about him being a friend and that being more important than politics? Or were you just ignoring that because it doesn't fit with your fanatical party prejudice?

Edit: and just to make it absolutely clear what I mean by that, given a choice between Nick and Nigel Farage being elected, I would choose Nick.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

isam said:

No way.

100% disagreement record remains in place! well done

HEnry was great but he left after 10 days

Lawro, Pearce, Keown, Murphy etc not for me
  • Options

No he is a friend and, even though his views are very different to mine on many subjects, he is an honest man who doesn't hide his opinions. Believe it or not (and I know you might find this a difficult concept to grasp) somethings are more important than politics.
    Vote New Labour, a vote for change, a vote for honesty, a vote for peace, prosperity and freedom.

(Personally I believe that anyone who supported all those things should mandatory join the great Blair in spreading peace in the middle eastern tourist resorts and never to set foot in Britain again)
  • Options

Did you miss the bit about him being a friend and that being more important than politics? Or were you just ignoring that because it doesn't fit with your fanatical party prejudice?

Oh, if you are saying we should choose MPs because they are friends, irrespective of policy and whether we get good government from it, and that your view is coloured by personal dislike of Anna Soubry, then that is fair enough, albeit childish.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Have to feel for Sami Khedira getting injured in the warm up... What a shame for him

@corporeal‌ "no you don't, he gets paid a fortune, people are starving in Africa" ????
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

No way.

I have to say both channels had some right duffers.

BBC....Savage.....

But ITV...Cannavaro & Childs to name two...only saved by Martin O'Neil getting beyond telling us that lad was good / bad.

Both channels need to look for those who can provide proper insight in the way Neville does on Sky. Somebody who played at the highest level, but is also able to provide high level analysis. I want to know why certain players / teams are doing what might seen totally wrong to us laymen.

Henry did well for the BBC. I think Murphy did ok for the BBC, but really I don't need 4 in the studio, then going to him pitch side with an interviewer, then 2 commentators, all telling me the same thing.

This is a growing trend, that you see a lot in American sports, and it doesn't provide a better experience as they have to rush around trying to get each talking head to say something.

In terms of insight into the South American game and players from that region, nobody can touch Tim Vickery.
  • Options

The amusing thing, though, is your hypocrisy. You go on and on about dislikiing party loyalists, and Nick is a good party loyalist. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but you seem to think there is, or at least you do in respect of others. And Anna Soubry is also honest and doesn't hide her opinions, but you give her absolutely no credit for that.

Edit: and just to make it absolutely clear what I mean by that, given a choice between Nick and Nigel Farage being elected, I would choose Nick.
    If its a contest nationally that would make Farage win the biggest landslide in history.
    However I would like to see a pollster asking that question just to be sure.
    If Nick Clegg and Nigel Farage were the only candidates in your constituency who would you vote for?
  • Options

Oh, if you are saying we should choose MPs because they are friends, irrespective of policy and whether we get good government from it, and that your view is coloured by personal dislike of Anna Soubry, then that is fair enough, albeit childish.
    Why is it childish? I previously campaigned in two elections for a Tory MP who was a friend. It was my insight into his views on many matters resulting from personal contact with him that eventually made me change my opinion of him and stop supporting him. Surely personal interaction with someone gives a much better insight into their nature than simple political grandstanding?

• Options
    SeanT says ...
    'Farage's mistake was his failure of nerve. Of course what he really meant by 'Romanians' was Roma aka gypsies. But in trying to vaguely toe the PC line while being interestingly honest he said 'Romanians'. '

In fact the nationalities were put to him. He said, wink wink nudge nudge... pause whilst I blow my dog whistle, 'you know what the difference is'

I can safely say I don't like you Mr SeanT. No need for dog whistles from me on that. Indeed my flesh creeps reading what you write.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

If its a contest nationally that would make Farage win the biggest landslide in history.
    If Nick Clegg and Nigel Farage were the only candidates in your constituency who would you vote for?
    Haha if you think that would be a landslide, I can't imagine what you would think of a Nick Palmer vs Farage contest which is the choice on offer!!!!
  • Options
    Twitter
    Sky Bet ‏@SkyBet 13m
    One punter has well and truly #skybettered us. He placed this fivefold in August and has won over £83,000! Well done!

Man City to win Premier League
    QPR to be promoted from the Sky Bet championship
    Wolves to win Sky Bet League 1
    Real Madrid to win the Champions League
    Germany to win the World Cup
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Sorry Speedy, maybe I wasn't clear. I was referring to Nick Palmer not Nick Clegg. I would choose Farage over Clegg any day.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the friendly comments on the thread, all of them reciprocated. I'm not quite the party loyalist that I used to be, though that's moved me further from the Conservatives rather than closer.

Like most UKIP voters and 43% of Tories I just enjoyed the game tonight and didn't care who won. The result seemed an exact representation - both sides better at defence than offence, but Germany's endurance and precision narrowly beating Argentina's flair in the end. Would have been a shame it had gone to penalities.
  • Options
    By the way have we found who won the N.Korea vs Portugal Kim Jong-Un fantacy final.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Speedy said:

By the way have we found who won the N.Korea vs Portugal Kim Jong-Un fantacy final.

Winner from substitute Kim Jong-Un himself in the dying seconds.
  • Options
    An even better way of handling that Farage mistake would be to give it a rest by accepting it and moving on! Right now, I have this fecking nightmare scenario where you are on here in 40 years time still claiming that Farage's comments were misinterpreted and that he was right all along.
    isam said:

Actually a better way of making the German or Romanian neighbour point would be to make ourselves the active person... Anyone living in your street can afford to live there and in all probability has the same kind of earnings as you,

The question should be 'would you rather move to an area of England with a large population of Germans or Romanians ?'

• Options

Speedy said:

Winner from substitute Kim Jong-Un himself in the dying seconds.
    He should make a 100ft statue of himself holding the world cup.
  • Options
    From behind the paywall

The prospect of a new job for Mr Lansley appeared to have reached a dead end last night as the Conservatives ruled out choosing an MP as the next European commissioner.......

....Possible contenders for the European role include Lord Howard of Lympne, the former Conservative leader, Lord Hill of Oareford, the Tory leader in the upper chamber, and Baroness Wheatcroft, the former newspaper editor and business journalist.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, the Times says it looks like Liam Fox will be back in the cabinet.

#FerFuxSake
  • Options

#FerFuxSake

Must be confident no more nasty surprises from the company he keeps. Well I presume so, as we all know how well Cameron vets people and their baggage.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Thanks for the friendly comments on the thread, all of them reciprocated. I'm not quite the party loyalist that I used to be, though that's moved me further from the Conservatives rather than closer.

Like most UKIP voters and 43% of Tories I just enjoyed the game tonight and didn't care who won. The result seemed an exact representation - both sides better at defence than offence, but Germany's endurance and precision narrowly beating Argentina's flair in the end. Would have been a shame it had gone to penalities.

Another victory for Deutschland! And for the EU.

I am modestly up on the WC; jr more so as he had Germany in the village sweepstake. I got landed with England...
  • Options
    fitalass said:

An even better way of handling that Farage mistake would be to give it a rest by accepting it and moving on! Right now, I have this fecking nightmare scenario where you are on here in 40 years time still claiming that Farage's comments were misinterpreted and that he was right all along.

isam said:

Give it a while, according to polish goverment statistics 1.5 million poles left the country most of them to Britain in the 2004-2007 period. That was 1/7th of the polish workforce.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    FPT: When on Saturday night there is no leak re: yougov poll, you can be sure it is bad for the Tories.

Congratulations to Germany ! The best team won. Boateng Man of the Match.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

isam said:

I never bring it up up, I respond to others, and if people try to make false accusations in 40 years time I'll be here to correct them as sure as you post pro Tory stuff while everyone else is akip
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FPT: When on Saturday night there is no leak re: yougov poll, you can be sure it is bad for the Tories.

Congratulations to Germany ! The best team won. Boateng Man of the Match.

It wasn't "leaked" last weekend, when the lead was down to 2%.
  • Options

I am modestly up on the WC; jr more so as he had Germany in the village sweepstake. I got landed with England...
    If the EU had a team they would have been knocked out a long time ago.
    Germany won because it trained systematically millions of german kids for a decade and selected the best from them.
    An EU team would be a multinational political mush not being able to form a proper team as there would be national quotas for selecting players and have governments bickering over who should be in it, as such not many of the super german team would have made it into an EU team.
  • Options

#FerFuxSake

Fantastic news.
  • Options

That's 3 consecutive WC wins for Schengen countries (4 out of the last 5, and 2nd in the other one in 2002). Also wins in the last 5 European championships.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Germany won because it trained systematically millions of german kids for a decade and selected the best from them.
    An EU team would be a multinational political mush not being able to form a proper team as there would be national quotas for selecting players and have governments bickering over who should be in it, as such not many of the super german team would have made it into an EU team.
    You mean it would've been like the British team at the Olympics?
  • Options

#FerFuxSake

Fantastic news.
    Indeed fantastic news for Labour.
    Time to start digging into those Saudi defence deals.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Surely it would be like the Lions.

Minor countries boosted by some star qualities from the top dog that is England.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

#FerFuxSake

Fantastic news.
    Indeed fantastic news for Labour.
    Time to start digging into those Saudi defence deals.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

No way.

I have to say both channels had some right duffers.

BBC....Savage.....

But ITV...Cannavaro & Childs to name two...only saved by Martin O'Neil getting beyond telling us that lad was good / bad.

Both channels need to look for those who can provide proper insight in the way Neville does on Sky. Somebody who played at the highest level, but is also able to provide high level analysis. I want to know why certain players / teams are doing what might seen totally wrong to us laymen.

Henry did well for the BBC. I think Murphy did ok for the BBC, but really I don't need 4 in the studio, then going to him pitch side with an interviewer, then 2 commentators, all telling me the same thing.

This is a growing trend, that you see a lot in American sports, and it doesn't provide a better experience as they have to rush around trying to get each talking head to say something.

In terms of insight into the South American game and players from that region, nobody can touch Tim Vickery.
    I dislike Rio Ferdinand as a person but thought he did really well as a pundit. The one who speaks a lot of sense is Chris Waddle, if you can actually understand him.
  • Options

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Minor countries boosted by some star qualities from the top dog that is England.
    Just tried to do an EU. World Cup xi.... Just Germany semi final team with Robben and RvP instead of Klose and Ozil isn't it?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Let us remind ourselves why Liam Fox was kicked out:
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/oct/14/liam-fox-resignation-adam-werritty

"word began spreading around Whitehall that the investigation was going to draw some harsh conclusions: both about Fox's personal conduct, and the mosaic of business arrangements that Werritty was involved in.

"I don't think the resignation was a done deal until early in the afternoon," said one Whitehall official. But the mood music from the Cabinet Office was that the inquiry was going to be very damaging. It didn't leave Liam very much choice."
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Watching the verdict... Completely agree w Willis, Butcher and Colville, and said so to my folks/ tried to back it at the time... How did Kumar not get MOTM? Two 50s from no 9 and 5wickets???? Ridiculous
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited July 2014

What 'revelations' were those?

The UK seems to have gone completely, utterly mad. Of course it's not the first time - some of the 'revelations' are almost word-for-word like those of the Popish plot, except that then it was crucifixes rather than rent boys that were the subject of the 'revelations'.

Yet the government is intent on establishing a Hillsborough-style inquiry into this salacious gossip. Let us remember that that inquiry published findings in which "those concerned have not had the opportunity to respond to comments or criticism". No one had the opportunity to make submissions about the interpretation of evidence to the inquiry. No oral evidence was taken. There was no cross examination of witnesses or testing of documents. The findings of previous independent judicial inquiries were ignored without proper explanation. Under the policy of "families first", relatives of the deceased had access to the report before others with an interest in the findings. Is it any wonder that such a flawed and unfair model of inquiry is favoured by the government into the latest moral panic?
  • Options
    isam said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Just tried to do an EU. World Cup xi.... Just Germany semi final team with Robben and RvP instead of Klose and Ozil isn't it?
    I'd still want Iniesta in my team
  • Options
    BTW Messi man of the tournament....somebody is having a laugh..
  • Options
    isam said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Just players at the World Cup? Or do we get to talk about Zlatan, Bale etc?

And nah. Howedes doesn't make the cut certainly. Pogba into midfield.
  • Options

isam said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

I'd still want Iniesta in my team
    Sorry I guess I meant based on performances in this World Cup
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Well Argentina had only one player that played football.
    (Same goes for Portugal)
  • Options

The award is sponsored by Adidas.

Total coincidence that Messi is sponsored by Adidas.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

If we had to choose, which from germany's team would we choose as man of the tournament?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Did you see how tacky the "Golden Glove" was...It was like something you would win from the funfair, if you managed to defeat the rigged carny games.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

If we had to choose, which from germany's team would we choose as man of the tournament?
    Neuer or Muller... Hard to choose between them
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (Broadcasting question)

At about 49 minutes into the match, BBC1 showed us an annoyingly pointless and irrelevant shot of the statue of Jesus in Rio, with the sun behind it, instead of showing us the match which we wanted to watch.

Was that in the feed from Brazil, which was supplied to all broadcasters worldwide, or was it an editorial decision by the BBC in moving away from footage of the match as it was happening? In other words, did ITV and others show the same thing at the same time?
This discussion has been closed.