Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft poll on how Euro voters will vote next year

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    It'll be fascinating comparing real votes cast in the local elections with the various national projected shares. Last year the UKIP figure of 23% didn't make sense to me, because they only polled 20% in actual votes in their best areas, the shire counties.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited May 2014
    Ross Hawkins ‏@rosschawkins ·
    Lib Dem PPC Jackie Porter: we've got a good story to tell but nobody's listening any more

Lib Dem PPC Jackie Porter on BBC News now

Coming out of the woodwork now.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Well if it was a majority it would be a pretty thin one? Ed would be held hostage by Skinner, Corbyn, Abbott, etc... Like I say, would be great fun for us on here - The country would be down the pan in a year, but what the heck, LOL!

There would also be fantastic betting opportunities. Markets on every major vote in the House of Commons. It would be a wonderful, if disastrous, time, as well as an opportunity for some major pork barrel spending in Ulster.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I have totals now for the 5 Merseyside metropolitan councils:

Lab 158,635 (48.48%)
    UKIP 48,849 (14.93%)
    Con 47,781 (14.60%)
    LD 33,056 (10.10%)
    Green 22,797 (6.97%)
    TUSC 2,093 (0.64%)
    Ind 1,648 (0.50%)

Changes since 2010 locals (held on same day as general election):

Lab +3.07%
    UKIP +12.94%
    Con -3.92%
    LD -17.50%
    Green +4.66%
    TUSC +0.59%
    Ind +0.17%

Maybe slightly disappointing for Labour that they couldn't reach 50% given that they were on 45.41% in 2010.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    Ed Miliband is “a problem” that is stopping voters supporting Labour, a shadow Cabinet minister has said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10854486/Voters-say-Ed-Miliband-is-a-problem-shadow-minister-warns.html
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    surbiton said:

Labour's 31, is just 1% ahead of the 2010 figure

Where are the Tories ?
    40% next year!!!!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Where are the Tories ?
    Dreaming of 36%,it seems a barrier.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    The UNS on the whole country tells us bollocks. It is the Marginals which count.

Labour only needs to worry about 25 Labour held marginals and 75 Tory-LD-SNP-PC marginals.

The rest don't matter. Including Rotherham.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

If the Lib Dems have polled 5.8% in the Euros, never mind fifth, they could well be battling with An Independence From Europe to avoid finishing sixth. (Note - this is a GB figure; some regions would be worse).

Based on Ascroft's poll, it seems unlikely that AIFE have polled more than 2%. If you take the "EU" question, "others" score 13%, with UKIP on 50% and other-others probably around 10%, meaning that the proportion of others who are AIFE is ~10%. Now even without any sneaky analysis we can see that others are unlikely to get more than 20%.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    Ave_it said:

surbiton said:

Where are the Tories ?
    40% next year!!!!
    AVE IT!!!!!!!

• Options
    Adrian Hilton ‏@Adrian_Hilton · 2 mins
    .@Nigel_Farage: "Now I will destroy the Tory party" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638377/Now-I-destroy-Tory-party-In-crowing-interview-Nigel-Farage-reveals-quit-politics-hes-got-UK-EU.html … < eerie echo of Robert Kilroy-Silk - more anti-Tory than anti-EU

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Lab 158,635 (48.48%)
    UKIP 48,849 (14.93%)
    Con 47,781 (14.60%)
    LD 33,056 (10.10%)
    Green 22,797 (6.97%)
    TUSC 2,093 (0.64%)
    Ind 1,648 (0.50%)

Lab +3.07%
    UKIP +12.94%
    Con -3.92%
    LD -17.50%
    Green +4.66%
    TUSC +0.59%
    Ind +0.17%

Maybe slightly disappointing for Labour that they couldn't reach 50% given that they were on 45.41% in 2010.

Yeah, a big problem for Labour with second highest 34% behind. Does this count as a marginal ?
  • Options

.@Nigel_Farage: "Now I will destroy the Tory party" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638377/Now-I-destroy-Tory-party-In-crowing-interview-Nigel-Farage-reveals-quit-politics-hes-got-UK-EU.html … < eerie echo of Robert Kilroy-Silk - more anti-Tory than anti-EU

Hmmmmm... Farage getting carried away with it all?

I still think at some point the UKIP bubble is going to burst...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Lab 158,635 (48.48%)
    UKIP 48,849 (14.93%)
    Con 47,781 (14.60%)
    LD 33,056 (10.10%)
    Green 22,797 (6.97%)
    TUSC 2,093 (0.64%)
    Ind 1,648 (0.50%)

Lab +3.07%
    UKIP +12.94%
    Con -3.92%
    LD -17.50%
    Green +4.66%
    TUSC +0.59%
    Ind +0.17%

Yeah, a big problem for Labour with second highest 34% behind. Does this count as a marginal ?
    Merseyside goes marginal! Con gains everywhere next year!

Lab slip up in Liverpool! Lab = gerrard!!

• Options
    Ave_it said:

surbiton said:

Where are the Tories ?
    40% next year!!!!
    Tories = Watford. Always a bit short !
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Keep thinking !
  • Options
    Pressure on embattled Ed Miliband grew last night after a survey showed Labour would have more chance of winning the next election if they dump him.

A Survation poll for the Mail on Sunday revealed that 31 per cent of Labour supporters back the party at the ballot box ‘because of’ Miliband, while 36 per cent do so ‘despite’ him.

By contrast, 48 per cent of Tories back the party because of Cameron, and 18 per cent support the party despite him.

The leadership popularity gap was repeated when voters were asked if they would be more likely to support a party if it had a new leader. Voters said ‘yes’ by a margin of 26 per cent in the case of Labour, compared to a margin of 13 per cent for the Tories.

The most common criticism of Miliband in the poll, which saw 1,017 adults questioned online on Friday, is that he lacks charisma and the ‘common touch’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638377/Now-I-destroy-Tory-party-In-crowing-interview-Nigel-Farage-reveals-quit-politics-hes-got-UK-EU.html
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,243
    FFS, you cannot make tuition fees the bedrock of your entire campaign and then abandon it once on power. Strategic mistake of seismic proportions and Clegg deserves to be ditched. The trouble is, there's no obvious successor. Farron is a bit lightweight, Hughes is a bit weird, Cable is damaged by having to support Tory lines, Alexander is a Tory; who the hell do you go for?
  • Options

Lib Dem PPC Jackie Porter: we've got a good story to tell but nobody's listening any more

Lib Dem PPC Jackie Porter on BBC News now

Coming out of the woodwork now.

The only good story, Honey, is knifing the Tory who leads your party !

• Options
    surbiton said:

Ave_it said:

surbiton said:

Where are the Tories ?
    40% next year!!!!
    Tories = Watford. Always a bit short !
    Surbiton - QPR! Going down next year!!!
  • Options
    I am beginning to sense an autumn election.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    GIN1138 said:

Cameron needs to do something nuclear on policy on the EU or immigration to have a pin ready,can't see it though.
  • Options
    Coventry popular votes:

Lab 31,735 (44.70%)
    Con 16,903 (23.81%)
    UKIP 10,320 (14.54%)
    Green 5,139 (7.24%)
    BNP 2,068 (2.91%)
    LD 1,689 (2.38%)

Changes since 2010 locals:

Lab +2.55%
    Con -4.65%
    UKIP +13.87%
    Green +5.78%
    BNP -1.65%
    LD -15.26%
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

Because Cameron really wants to lessen the distance between the Euros and GE, presumably so UKIP can score as good a result as possible.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465
    surbiton said:

The UNS on the whole country tells us bollocks. It is the Marginals which count.

Labour only needs to worry about 25 Labour held marginals and 75 Tory-LD-SNP-PC marginals.

Telling the people of Rotherham that they don't matter (and acting like that) is precisely why the voters there are deserting Labour.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited May 2014
    YouGov average Lab lead - last 12 weeks, oldest first (every figure is average of 5 polls, or 4 polls when Bank Holiday):

4.6 - Budget week
    2.0 - This week

Not too hard to spot the trend is it?

It's all too easy to get lost in the here and now - what is noteworthy is just how rapid the change has been. The above covers a period of just under 3 months.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,625

easily beating the Liberal Democrats, whose 11% is less than half that achieved four years ago. That is the lowest the party has recorded at local elections since our records begin in 1979.

We need a Clegg is Crap thread!
  • Options

easily beating the Liberal Democrats, whose 11% is less than half that achieved four years ago. That is the lowest the party has recorded at local elections since our records begin in 1979.

We need a Clegg is Crap thread!
    Writing it as we speak, for the morning.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

GIN1138 said:

Cameron needs to do something nuclear in policy on the EU or immigration to have a pin ready,can't see it though.
    Not sure. UKIP's downfall, if/when it comes will almost certainly happen from UKIP itself and it may even be from Farage.

Hope he's watching what he say's privately to journo's when he's had a drink...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ShippersUnbound: David Davis has told the Sunday Times that David Cameron must bring EU referendum forward to 2016 if he wants to win back Ukip voters
  • Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 2 mins
    David Davis has told the Sunday Times that David Cameron must bring EU referendum forward to 2016 if he wants to win back Ukip voters

• Options
    edited May 2014

I don't think there needs to be an election if the Lib-Dems leave the coalition. The Tories can govern the last 6-9 months as a minority government, as long as they don't try anything too controversial.
  • Options
    Louise Mensch — UKIP are sexist and racist.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Louise Mensch always provides value! :)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I don't think there needs to be an election if the Lib-Dems leave the coalition. The Tories can govern the last 6-9 months as a minority government, as long as they don't try anything too controversial.
    That also would help the lib dems,proberly with a new leader to get back the red liberals voters and that would help the tories.

• Options
    LD will win 0 seats tomorrow!

Which will be their worst result since 1979!!!
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Rallings and Thrasher national equivalent vote.

The national equivalent vote has the Tories on 30% — seven points down since the last general election but better than after the 2013 local contests — with Labour just ahead on 31%, a single point up on 2010.

UKIP takes third place for a second year running with an 18% share — four points lower than in 2013 — easily beating the Liberal Democrats, whose 11% is less than half that achieved four years ago. That is the lowest the party has recorded at local elections since our records begin in 1979.

If those R&T figures are correct, my local election model forecasts the Tories winning the popular vote by 8.4% next year, close to the Fisher and L&N models.

Put it this way, no Opposition only one point ahead on R&T's NEV has ever gone on to win from such a position...

Comparisons:

Kinnock 1986: +3% (lost by 12% in 1987)
    Kinnock 1991: +3% (lost by 8% in 1992)
    Hague 2000: +8% (lost by 9% in 2001)
    Howard 2004: +11% (lost by 3% in 2005)

Been away all week in Slovakia, enjoying wonderful 28 degree weather, combined with dental treatment, but will be right back on the button for the Euros tomorrow night...
  • Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 2 mins
    Two Liberal Democrat MPs have told the Sunday Times that Nick Clegg should resign. One says DPM is leading the party to electoral suicide

Can I hear jaws music ;-)
  • Options
    Go Rod!

Your 8.4% is in line with my 10% projection posted on here many times!

Hope your teeth are ok!!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    RodCrosby said:

The national equivalent vote has the Tories on 30% — seven points down since the last general election but better than after the 2013 local contests — with Labour just ahead on 31%, a single point up on 2010.

UKIP takes third place for a second year running with an 18% share — four points lower than in 2013 — easily beating the Liberal Democrats, whose 11% is less than half that achieved four years ago. That is the lowest the party has recorded at local elections since our records begin in 1979.

If those R&T figures are correct, my local election model forecasts the Tories winning the popular vote by 8.4% next year, close to the Fisher and L&N models.

Put it this way, no Opposition only one point ahead on R&T's NEV has ever gone on to win from such a position...

Comparisons:

Been away all week in Slovakia, enjoying wonderful 28 degree weather, combined with dental treatment, but will be right back on the button for the Euros tomorrow night...
    Fancy doing a thread on that?

The no Opposition only one point ahead on R&T's NEV has ever gone on to win from such a position bit, not the Slovakia bit.
  • Options
    FPT:

LD Labour

Cathedrals 1642 1216
    Chaucer 1475 1765
    East Walworth 612 1693
    Grange 1150 1160
    Newington 1035 2299
    Riverside 1589 807
    Rotherite 934 1370
    S Bermondsey 1234 1464
    Surrey Docks 1039 712
    10710 12486

Southwark and Bermondsey. Local Elections 2014. Highest candidate votes only.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ShippersUnbound: David Davis has told the Sunday Times that David Cameron must bring EU referendum forward to 2016 if he wants to win back Ukip voters

Does he really believe that or is it just another 'do something' wail?

Are voters really going to be persuaded by a vote in two years, rather than three? In any case, it's not Europe for most UKIP voters (and for those it is, there's probably little that can be done).

On the other hand, promising a vote by 2017 does at least give the possibility of successful negotiations; knocking half the time off that makes it far harder and increases the risk that the other EU countries won't take it seriously.

Davis is a prat.
  • Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 55 secs
    IDS also told me that he found on doorstep that lots of people didn't even know Cameron has promised an in-out referendum for 2017

lol
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    GIN1138 said:

The article doesn't seem to include the 'destroy' quote.

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Scott_P said:

Davis was in the army, wasn't he. Like Mercer, he seems to put a very low value on teamwork and cohesion. Is that a comment on today's military of just them?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Telling the people of Rotherham that they don't matter (and acting like that) is precisely why the voters there are deserting Labour.
    So, you think UKIP will win in Rotherham after the glare of policy un-pickings.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Some Kippers are racist and sexist.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Davis is a prat.

@janemerrick23: Westminster hen-house not very calm place to be this weekend. Lots of Tory, Labour and LibDem headless chickens squawking around Ukip fox

We have multiple Lib Dems calling for Nick Clegg to resign, various Shadow cabinet members admitting Ed is a problem, and David Davis

I think the PM will be happy with that...
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

LD will win 0 seats tomorrow!

Which will be their worst result since 1979!!!

They won no seats in 1984 and 1989 too. (In 1989, they won 6.2% of the vote, which might be a meaningful benchmark).
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Was she talking about you Sunil? Have you been twittering out of hours?

• Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 1 min
    John Pugh and Adrian Sanders are the two Lib Dems who have broken cover. Pugh claims 12 Lib Dem MPs want Clegg out now

• Options
    Quincel said:

Because Cameron really wants to lessen the distance between the Euros and GE, presumably so UKIP can score as good a result as possible.
    I didn't see it as about Cameron. Possibly the only thing LD could do to regain some support would be to knife Clegg and bring down Cameron.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

That also would help the lib dems,proberly with a new leader to get back the red liberals voters and that would help the tories.

Only Cable can bring the Red Liberals back - but not all of them. Very few people knows who Farron is.

But Alexander the Great will really destroy this once great party.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @surbiton

'The only good story, Honey, is knifing the Tory who leads your party !'

Ever thought of engaging brain before opening mouth?
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Please don't post fake LMensch things

Thanks
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I trusted the LibDems to get at least 1 MEP-to the extent I backed it.I was under the misapprehension they had a core vote.They have become the new "disappeared" of the old SDP.Cable is increasingly sounding more social democrat.Alexander is one of the Quad,that introduced the hated bedroom tax for example so he has blood on his hands.Clegg is keen to portray his party as a party of government.If Clegg's party ends up with nil points across the UK as a whole.it's more about a party that benefits Clegg and his love of the capitalist baubles of office than the very existence of his party.

This led me to back Farron some time back at 5-2.Lamb is a contender,as Mike suggested but I think he values his health more.It's not a vintage crop to choose so it's a process of elimination as to the least worst option.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,839
    If Louise Mensch said that UKIP are sexist and racist then she's rather daft. I can't be bothered to check as it doesn't matter. A party that really makes headway as they have isn't going to be intrinsically so.

I suspect that UKIP have made headway in the way that they have mostly because the political debate has degenerated to a pantomime.

It's so disappointing that a competent (and at times brilliant) politician should find herself unable to rise above the stage-show.
  • Options
    GN all

Tomorrow night - Ave it announces the GE 2015 result!

• Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Omnium said:

If Louise Mensch said that UKIP are sexist and racist then she's rather daft. I can't be bothered to check as it doesn't matter. A party that really makes headway as they have isn't going to be intrinsically so.

I checked - she didn't

• Options
    Omnium said:

I suspect that UKIP have made headway in the way that they have mostly because the political debate has degenerated to a pantomime.

It's so disappointing that a competent (and at times brilliant) politician should find herself unable to rise above the stage-show.

Are we talking about Me Me Mensch ?

• Options

AndyJS said:

No, I just made one tweet today re. Chvrches (synthpop band!).
  • Options
    Labour won all 32 seats in Manchester with 57.41% of the popular vote:

Lab 65,205 (57.41%)
    Green 14,546 (12.81%)
    LD 13,045 (11.49%)
    Con 9,085 (8.00%)
    UKIP 8,700 (7.66%)

Changes since 2010 locals:

Lab +10.98%
    Green +8.02%
    LD -20.47%
    Con -4.11%
    UKIP +6.74%
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Comparisons:

If the swing over the next year is in line with the average of the above then Con will lead Lab by 13% at GE 2015.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Now Ave It has returned, snowflake should come back as well. :D
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Comparisons:

The no Opposition only one point ahead on R&T's NEV has ever gone on to win from such a position bit, not the Slovakia bit.

When was that ? When those greedy petrol tanker drivers were holding the country to ransom ?

• Options

Scott_P said:

Does he really believe that or is it just another 'do something' wail?

Are voters really going to be persuaded by a vote in two years, rather than three? In any case, it's not Europe for most UKIP voters (and for those it is, there's probably little that can be done).

On the other hand, promising a vote by 2017 does at least give the possibility of successful negotiations; knocking half the time off that makes it far harder and increases the risk that the other EU countries won't take it seriously.

Davis is a prat.
    Of course Davis doesn't believe it.

His sole aim is to maximise the chances of Cameron losing the GE.

Nothing else is of any interest to him.

Fortunately he will have little impact as very few people will take any notice of him.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Once the wider public get to see Ed then yes I think UKIP have every chance. As for policy unpicking, how do you think the WWC that are heading to UKIP in their droves will react when Ed tells them they are too stupid to have a vote on the EU?
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    GIN1138 said:

Interesting thought though, Tories could run a minority government using the Salmond Defence of "if only we had a majority, then see what we would have done" while blaming everyone else for whatever is going wrong and claiming the benefits of anything going right.

Cameron would be able to follow his natural instincts for doing as little as possible, legislation will be negligible, Parliament would be in virtual recess to stop anyone questioning him or holding the government to account. Not much different from now.

• Options
    surbiton said:

RodCrosby said:

Comparisons:

When was that ? When those greedy petrol tanker drivers were holding the country to ransom ?

I think Rod meant the 2000 local election result VS 2001 general election result?

• Options
    I know I'm coming over all Tim but given Cameron's problems with the fairer sex, I've long thought it could be a great tactic to put a woman up against him. But it's thin soil in the LD ranks. Swinson is lightweight and will probably lose her seat; Brooke and Teather are standing down and Munt and Burt have tough fights for re-election. That leaves Willott and Featherstone, who I give a decent chance of holding on, but much as I really like Featherstone neither of these has a potential leader profile.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

No, I just made one tweet today re. Chvrches (synthpop band!).
    You're quite sure? No innocent train related comments about unreliable old boilers, that Mrs Mench may have misinterpreted as an attack on the sisterhood?
  • Options
    Oh and I'll be amazed if LD don't get a Euro MP in the SW.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    surbiton said:

Omnium said:

Are we talking about Me Me Mensch ?
    Well I'm quite sexy still and a bit racy. Come and get me Mensch, but please don't remain a mensch, be a lady.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited May 2014
    "Never" is such a transient word

http://xkcd.com/1122/
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

AndyJS said:

Yes, Sunil.

You.

Let me explain.

UKIP wants the end to unrestricted immigration. And where is the only place unrestricted comes from? The EU. It doesn't seem to have been noticed, but most Europeans are White. In other words, they look like Farage and his wife. Not really surprising, as he is of French origin and his wife is German.

A lot of comment has been expended on how Cameron faces a non-racist challenge from the Right. Incredibly, Farage has taken race out of the immigration debate by wishing to block the entry of White people into this country. No wonder anti-racists are confused. They've never had to deal with this before.

Interestingly, I've found non-White Ukippers enthusiastically supporting this policy because of the fear that cheap Eastern Europeans will be employed instead of them.

Are you one?
  • Options
    There are plenty of sexist and racist people in all parties.
  • Options
    Please tell Ave_it that soon UKIP will be invading his Watford gap. ;)
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Once the wider public get to see Ed then yes I think UKIP have every chance. As for policy unpicking, how do you think the WWC that are heading to UKIP in their droves will react when Ed tells them they are too stupid to have a vote on the EU?
    UKIP voters don't give an XXXX about Europe. They themselves say so. All they talk about is Joe Foreigner.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Oh and I'll be amazed if LD don't get a Euro MP in the SW.

At least it'll only be the intellectually challenged Graham Watson who won't be able to do much harm.

• Options
    MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

Comparisons:

If the swing over the next year is in line with the average of the above then Con will lead Lab by 13% at GE 2015.
    Yes, but my model goes back to 1973, and includes those Oppositions who did go on to win (or were behind and didn't), and is based on the average NEV lead during the whole parliament.

Labour are toast though, whichever way you slice it...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Minor parties that are not expected to form a government have a great deal of leeway on their policy platform. I don't think it will be a significant factor.

What will determine whether Labour holds Rotherham comfortably or whether UKIP run them close (or better) will be the extent to which the voters there believe Labour speaks for them and doesn't take them for granted. Detailed policy is by the by.
  • Options
    Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm · 2 mins
    The plot against Nick Clegg can't be totally dismissed. How do the Lib Dems keep their radicalism inside the coalition? Will it break it?

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

Comparisons:

Yes, but my model goes back to 1973, and includes those Oppositions who did go on to win (or were behind and didn't), and is based on the average NEV lead during the whole parliament.

Rod, we're hearing a lot today about Labour marginals Vs UNS - The idea being that because Labour is doing better in the marginals and because of UKIP UNS won't matter in 2015.

Anything to add?

• Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton · 58 secs
    Labour need Clegg to survive. New leader could revive party and win back defectors.

Yep.
  • Options
    Vince Cable would be a brilliant replacement for Nick Clegg IMO. The party might only lose 5-10 seats next year instead of 20.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

UKIP voters don't give an XXXX about Europe. They themselves say so. All they talk about is Joe Foreigner.
    Great to see that even after Thursday people like you still don't get it.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, Sunil.

You.

Let me explain.

UKIP wants the end to unrestricted immigration. And where is the only place unrestricted comes from? The EU. It doesn't seem to have been noticed, but most Europeans are White. In other words, they look like Farage and his wife. Not really surprising, as he is of French origin and his wife is German.

A lot of comment has been expended on how Cameron faces a non-racist challenge from the Right. Incredibly, Farage has taken race out of the immigration debate by wishing to block the entry of White people into this country. No wonder anti-racists are confused. They've never had to deal with this before.

Interestingly, I've found non-White Ukippers enthusiastically supporting this policy because of the fear that cheap Eastern Europeans will be employed instead of them.

Are you one?
    Very clever Nino but you still talk a load of bollocks.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, Sunil.

You.

Let me explain.

Are you one?
    No I'm not a racist - for example unlike most Asians, I am open to marrying a non-Asian. I am mostly supportive of UKIP because I'm a BOOer (Better-Off-Out) regarding the EU. You may be interested to know I voted Tory in the Local election, I only voted UKIP for the Euro election.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    AndyJS said:

Vince Cable would be a brilliant replacement for Nick Clegg IMO. The party might only lose 5-10 seats next year instead of 20.

The Lds aren't unpopular because of Nick Clegg, they're unpopular because of the shift from opposition to government and their inexperience meaning they handle it poorly. Clegg is personally very identified with this, but he's only a small part of the problem.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

Comparisons:

Rod, we're hearing a lot today about Labour marginals Vs UNS - The idea being that because Labour is doing better in the marginals and because of UKIP UNS won't matter in 2015.

Anything to add?

What we've heard today on here is a certain amount of nonsense designed to cause confusion.

Ashcroft has issued a comprehensive poll of Con marginals showing that the swing in these seats is precisely identical to the national swing in national polls.
  • Options
    Anyway we should all be a lot wiser by this time tomorrow. So I'm off to bed.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    More specifically, Farage is of Huegenot ancestry, his French ancestors having fled the massacres as refugees to Protestant England.

Perhaps this is part of the reason why he suggested taking in Syrian Christian refugees.
    Ninoinoz said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, Sunil.

You.

Let me explain.

Are you one?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

And going by the local election results, one of them might be his.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

Comparisons:

Anything to add?

I never believe marginals polls. I didn't for the Tories last time, and I don't now. Too many statistical traps for the unwary.
  • Options
    Bury changes in popular vote since 2010 locals:

Lab +7.79%
    Con -5.93%
    UKIP +11.86%
    LD -14.53%
    Green +5.26%

Swing, Con to Lab: 6.86%

Labour need a swing of 2.5% to win Bury North.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Ninoinoz said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, Sunil.

You.

Let me explain.

Are you one?
    No I'm not a racist - for example unlike most Asians, I am open to marrying a non-Asian. I am mostly supportive of UKIP because I'm a BOOer (Better-Off-Out) regarding the EU. You may be interested to know I voted Tory in the Local election, I only voted UKIP for the Euro election.
    I'm not a racist sunil,I am open to marrying a Asian women,but round here if I did that,I would proberly have my knee's capped ;-) who is the real racist ?
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    MikeK said:

Ninoinoz said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, Sunil.

You.

Let me explain.

Are you one?
    Very clever Nino but you still talk a load of bollocks.
    Thanks, but unfortunately Sunil has taken me seriously.

But, Farage was asked was he ashamed of his origins by a foreign journalist on Thursday and Mrs Farage has caused chaos in media circles by being German.

I don't think Farage knows what's he's stumbled upon what with that rally last weekend and the carnival last week.

Keep White people out! There's too many of 'em here already!
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Minor parties that are not expected to form a government have a great deal of leeway on their policy platform. I don't think it will be a significant factor.

What will determine whether Labour holds Rotherham comfortably or whether UKIP run them close (or better) will be the extent to which the voters there believe Labour speaks for them and doesn't take them for granted. Detailed policy is by the by.
    The Rotherham Labour Party might not be a happy ship.

http://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/92997/bluebell-wood-s-sarah-champion-proud-to-be-labour-candidate.aspx
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I know plenty of mixed Asian-British couples, it doesn't seem to be a big issue in terms of race here in Leicester to either community.

Ninoinoz said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, Sunil.

You.

Let me explain.

Are you one?
    I'm not a racist sunil,I am open to marrying a Asian women,but round here if I did that,I would proberly have my knee's capped ;-) who's the real racist ?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

GIN1138 said:

RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

Comparisons:

Anything to add?

I never believe marginals polls. I didn't for the Tories last time, and I don't now. Too many statistical traps for the unwary.
    Interesting. I do like a good marginals poll I must say.

This discussion has been closed.