Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield: YouGov have had their say, now it is my tur

SystemSystem Posts: 11,699
edited May 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield: YouGov have had their say, now it is my turn

Since the start of the year, I have been tracking all the polls that have been published about the Euros and taking sage advice from Mike’s postings about polling companies not prompting for the Greens and taking in account all the discussions about what “An Independence from Europe” may have on UKIP, I have come to the following conclusion. It’s too darn close to call.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    First
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    This would either be a tremendously bad, or a tremendously good result for Neil as he pseudo-arbed Con/UKIP votes/seats
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    So under these projections, the Lib Dems would finish sixth in seats? That really would be a disaster for Clegg, right? Could it lead to a leadership challenge?
  • Options
    my money went on UKIP win...still think they will do it by 2 points.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited May 2014
    You would seem to have buried the lede! AIFE 1 in the South East is a very bold call, sir. Bonne chance!
  • Options
    What are the polls looking like in the big European economies: France, Germany, Italy etc?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I fear Mr Hayfield in projecting a seat for AIFE has indicated a propensity for early doors libations of not inconsiderable quantities.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT

Amroth Media, whose subsidiary, XPat Jobs advertises jobs online in 140 countries, has stepped in to right a UKIP wrong.

It has paid the Endurance Steel Orchestra its fee for playing, or at least attending, the Croydon Festival of UKIP diversity this week. It will no doubt save Winston Mckenzie the trouble of claiming a cheque is in the post.

See: http://bit.ly/1ksjqIw

Extremely cheap PR. £350 for nationwide publicity. Well done Amroth Media!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Kudos for putting your head above the parapet, Harry!
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Is that a Lib Dem seat in the North West, but none in London or the South East?
    That would be quite surprising.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

stodge said:

So IF Labour finishes third, it's a crisis for Ed Miliband.
    IF the Liberal Democrats finish fifth, it's a crisis for Nick Clegg
    IF the Conservatives finish third, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Curious...

If the tories finish a really poor third,it is crisis time for Dave.

Nope. Even the Conservative & Unionist Party are not daft enough to openly revolt against their prime minister just 4 months before the referendum on the dissolution of the Union.
    Are you sure it is the same Union?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    @JackW Are we getting a Reckoning of European Count Totals (Uniform Mean)?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I suspect that the regions are mislabelled in Harry's chart, which would the explain the oddities of the LibDems getting a seat in the NW but not the SE, and AIFE getting a seat in the SE (not that I think they'll get a seat anywhere, but if they do it will be Mike Nattrass in the West Midlands, surely).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/22/bbc-editor-election-coverage-ukip-twitter

Has Journomummy been a very naughty girl?

"Only last week, BBC director of news and current affairs James Harding told a social media conference organised by the BBC Academy of Journalism and the New York Times that corporation staff should not tweet anything they would not say on air – where they are bound by strict BBC guidelines on impartiality."
  • Options

I suspect that the regions are mislabelled in Harry's chart, which would the explain the oddities of the LibDems getting a seat in the NW but not the SE, and AIFE getting a seat in the SE (not that I think they'll get a seat anywhere, but if they do it will be Mike Nattrass in the West Midlands, surely).

No. The South East is the most populous region of the UK iirc - it has the most seats and this is shown on the bar chart.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Only to get it chopped off. LOL
  • Options
    EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351
    Just voted in Norwich Mancroft ward. A fairly steady stream of voters. Thunderstorms threatened but dry so far today. I predict Greens will triumph over Labour.
  • Options
    @Pulpstar - True. In which case...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,886
    Ishmael_X said:

stodge said:

Curious...

If the tories finish a really poor third,it is crisis time for Dave.

Nope. Even the Conservative & Unionist Party are not daft enough to openly revolt against their prime minister just 4 months before the referendum on the dissolution of the Union.
    Are you sure it is the same Union?
    You're right to ask. The C & U Party as they are still called in Scotland is named after the other Union, of 1800.

• Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    Have a feeling that the polls might be under-reporting the UKIP vote.

People may have been put off, or they may have decided to keep schtum to the pollsters.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Have a feeling that the polls might be under-reporting the UKIP vote.

People may have been put off, or they may have decided to keep schtum to the pollsters.

I spoke to another colleague today who said he thought the European parliament was a waste of money so he refused to vote in those elections. I gritted my teeth.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I've just lost my Ukip virginity. The hall was deserted except for eight officials looking bored and I gather there hasn't been an avalanche of voters in this part of Merseyside.

I could have chosen Green instead but ... Naaa ...better the 1950s than the 1750s.

I may return to the LDs for next year, but that depends on the smug and arrogant establishment. If they accuse me of being mentally deficient for voting Ukip, why I'll do it again and again (apologies to Lewis Carroll).
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    stodge said:

Curious...

Sort of, though the devil is in the detail.

If Labour finished third, it is indeed a crisis for Ed. Labour should not be losing to UKIP and the Tories while they are the only major Westminster party in opposition, in an election which people routinely use to protest in and to send a message to the government.

If the Lib Dems finish fifth, behind the Greens, it's maybe not quite a crisis but it's very much a cause for concern. While it might not of itself be fatal to too many of their MPs, it would indicate that across great swathes of the country they're quite simply invisible and irrelevant.

Third for the Tories is to be expected, for much the reasons as per Labour above. The questions that matter are how far behind Labour and how big (or small) a share of the vote? Close to Labour would be ok; well back would be a problem. Likewise, mid-twenties wouldn't be a problem; teens most certainly would.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Well done Harry you brave LibDem person. Like you I think it is too close to call. In the Euro competition I stated I expect the Tories to shave it ahead of UKIP with Labour 3rd. I reckon Labour would be 3rd because there are no council elections in Scotland or Wales, its two strongholds so only diehard Labour voters will turnout in both. Outside London and the areas where there are council elections in England, Tory voters are far more likely to vote than Labour ones and if the weather is remotely bad, even fewer people will vote.

If Tories, UKIP and Labour are all around 20 MEPs then it will basically be a score draw and if the Tories retain 20 seats it will be a brilliant night for them on Sunday.

I am more interested in the council elections. If Labour falls far short of 500 gains then Ed is not heading for anywhere near Downing Street. If Tory losses are fewer than 200 I reckon that will be a good result. If the LibDems hold on to any councils and more than 50% of their councillors up for re-election that would be a good night. As for UKIP, short of them taking a council or becoming the official opposition anywhere, does it really matter if they win 1 or 2 seats in several councils if it gives them no more power than a local protest group on a council.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I've just lost my Ukip virginity. The hall was deserted except for eight officials looking bored and I gather there hasn't been an avalanche of voters in this part of Merseyside.

I could have chosen Green instead but ... Naaa ...better the 1950s than the 1750s.

I may return to the LDs for next year, but that depends on the smug and arrogant establishment. If they accuse me of being mentally deficient for voting Ukip, why I'll do it again and again (apologies to Lewis Carroll).

The Greens or UKIP is a choice quite a few will be making... if Conservatism wasn't in my blood (My parents met through the Young Conservatives) I'd have probably voted UKIP or Green. It was quite a close call in the end.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,983
    I would be surprised to see UKIP get only 1 MEP in the East Midlands whilst the Tories and Labour get 2. I would expect that one of those Tory seats will end up UKIP.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Conversely, if Labour do win, given the expectations that will now be seen as a triumph for Ed (and a blow to my wallet!).
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Conversely, if Labour do win, given the expectations that will now be seen as a triumph for Ed (and a blow to my wallet!).

It'll be like one of those horse races where the odds on favourite wins by a nose, and you'll say to yourself "If I bet like that every time I'll be out of pocket, but a win's a win"
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Incidentally when I went to vote at 10am, there were more seagulls on the village hall roof than humans who had been in to vote. Travelling around Easter Ross today no-one would know there is an election being held. Not even the Nats had a poster anywhere. I spoke to several people in Lidl and only 1 knew there is an election today and he is on relief so cant vote locally.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    I really think that Labour will struggle to get its vote out, so in my submission to the competition I had Labour down a few points, in third, and UKIP up a bit higher.

Compared to the 2009 results, your prediction implies the following vote share changes:

Conservative -4%
    Labour +10%
    UKIP +9%
    Liberal Democrats -6%
    Greens nc
    Others (implied) -9%

I think there are few Others standing this time than in 2009, and the BNP have thankfully receded but I don't think the Others vote is going to more than halve. Indeed, if you take the SNP, PC and BNP out of your Others, then you are predicting that their share of the vote will fall from 8.1% in 2009 to less than 4% this time, including AIFE.

I reckon the odds and sods parties will still pick up a fair bit of the vote, probably mostly from the Labour share in your prediction.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

I'll second that.

It has finally stopped raining here in the 'SW Region', the sun is out, people are smiling and I'm expecting a 'surge' at the voting booth this afternoon which I'm sure will propel turn-out into the upper teens.

Anecdotally, I've never seen so little interest locally, with virtually no garden mounted placards or posters in windows. Perhaps it's just the lack of local election to accompany the Euros, but even the accumulated pile of party bumf on the door mat is appreciably down with nothing from the minor parties or even labour!. - tis all rather odd.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,682
    Are Green - Kipper waverers really a significant demographic? Do they exist outside of the PB community? Is there one policy that the two parties have in common?
  • Options

Are Green - Kipper waverers really a significant demographic? Do they exist outside of the PB community? Is there one policy that the two parties have in common?

They're protest parties. Some of the people who'll vote for them are more interested in what (or who) they're against than what they're for.

Also, voting for protest parties can be shorthand. I suspect many Green voters would be horrified by the eco-communism they actually stand for but want to register a concern that insufficient attention is being given to the environment.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

@JackW Are we getting a Reckoning of European Count Totals (Uniform Mean)?

No.

My ARSE has decided to pull out of Europe after a 100% referendum of Mrs JackW indicated severe consequences should a full scale UK/Continental dalliance be contemplated.

• Options

High Speed 2 ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Yes, albeit an identity rather than a policy: NOTA

They both stand for a rejection of the modern way of doing things and a reversion to a better time. They just disagree whether it should be the 1950s or the later stone age
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

I really think that Labour will struggle to get its vote out,

On my facebook, the only Labour demographic I could see that was excited about today's vote were those putting up comments about keeping UKIP out. (Occasionally a blast against the BNP was included although without any real heart).

How strong the Labour euro vote is, seems to depend on how many anti-UKIP people there are. Makes a change from previous years where the main Labour motivation seems to have been anti-Tory.

• Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    True Internationalists like me are watching the white cheerleaders on Itv4

What other countries are voting specifically today?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Having a double chance to cast today, my ticket is split twixt the Communists and the Conservatives.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289

Just voted in Norwich Mancroft ward. A fairly steady stream of voters. Thunderstorms threatened but dry so far today. I predict Greens will triumph over Labour.

It is possible that Labour or LDs will triumph over Greens in Bristol.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/21/bristol-assistant-mayor-gus-hoyt-32000-pound-job-low-pay

This week the local rag has had stories on the Green Assistant Mayor which have made it to the national press. The guy also seems to have scored an own goal over his wage not to mention another little difficulty over purchase of former Council house.
  • Options

Sort of, though the devil is in the detail.

Is there a Euro-result that every party could be happy with?

Perhaps UKIP - Labour - Tory - Green - Lib Dem in order of votes, but with the Lib Dems still sending some MEPs to Brussells, and UKIP restricted to below 30%?
  • Options

They're protest parties. Some of the people who'll vote for them are more interested in what (or who) they're against than what they're for.

Also, voting for protest parties can be shorthand. I suspect many Green voters would be horrified by the eco-communism they actually stand for but want to register a concern that insufficient attention is being given to the environment.
    So if your concern is the environment, why would you consider UKIP and their anti-renewables policy? Yes, you can protest, but you need to protest against something and/or for something more specific than just not one of the big 3.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

On my facebook, the only Labour demographic I could see that was excited about today's vote were those putting up comments about keeping UKIP out. (Occasionally a blast against the BNP was included although without any real heart).

How strong the Labour euro vote is, seems to depend on how many anti-UKIP people there are. Makes a change from previous years where the main Labour motivation seems to have been anti-Tory.

All those types on my Facebook have been voting Green though ! (Noone has actually admitted they are voting Labour yet)
  • Options
    It's gone quite dark in Richmond Park. The rain is lashing down but as yet no thunder and lightning. Perhaps Thor and Loki are asleep. Oooooooops, tell a lie, the spark has crossed the sky and the hammer has sounded.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

With that intensity of support, you have to wonder how long it would be before Labour was polling in the teens, if it did form a government after the next election.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    dr_spyn said:
    She has indeed - having exhibited such blatant bias in such a public fashion, one would expect a sacking - can she be trusted to be professional and impartial again? I think not.
  • Options
    Charles said:

They both stand for a rejection of the modern way of doing things and a reversion to a better time. They just disagree whether it should be the 1950s or the later stone age
    There are lots of Techno-Greens these days.

Given the mainstream attachment to 19th and 20th century technology it could be argued that the Greens are the party in favour of technological innovation.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282

Well done Harry you brave LibDem person. Like you I think it is too close to call. In the Euro competition I stated I expect the Tories to shave it ahead of UKIP with Labour 3rd. I reckon Labour would be 3rd because there are no council elections in Scotland or Wales, its two strongholds so only diehard Labour voters will turnout in both. Outside London and the areas where there are council elections in England, Tory voters are far more likely to vote than Labour ones and if the weather is remotely bad, even fewer people will vote.

If Tories, UKIP and Labour are all around 20 MEPs then it will basically be a score draw and if the Tories retain 20 seats it will be a brilliant night for them on Sunday.

I am more interested in the council elections. If Labour falls far short of 500 gains then Ed is not heading for anywhere near Downing Street. If Tory losses are fewer than 200 I reckon that will be a good result. If the LibDems hold on to any councils and more than 50% of their councillors up for re-election that would be a good night. As for UKIP, short of them taking a council or becoming the official opposition anywhere, does it really matter if they win 1 or 2 seats in several councils if it gives them no more power than a local protest group on a council.

On the councils if UKIP polls as strongly in the Euros a expected then I would expec ta significant switch to them in the locals with seat gains in a hundred plus area.

• Options
    Meme Alert

*Techno-Greens*
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

I would be surprised to see UKIP get only 1 MEP in the East Midlands whilst the Tories and Labour get 2. I would expect that one of those Tory seats will end up UKIP.

East Midlands looks like it could be a real 3 way fight for first place. Ukip collapsed there somewhat after Kilroy Silk's earthquake in 2004
  • Options
    Socrates said:

What are the polls looking like in the big European economies: France, Germany, Italy etc?

In France, FN and UMP are neck and neck with FN just in front around 23/24 with UMP around 22. Socialists are around 17, centrists 10, greens 9, communists 8

In Germany, Merkel's CDU/CSU is around 38, SPD 27, greens around 10, Linke 8, AFD 7, FDP 3. Neo nazis of NDP will probably get a seat as 1% is the threshold.

In Italy, Renzi's PD is in front but Grillo's M5S seems to be closing the gap; it could be quite close, between 25 and 27 for both. Berlusconi will be behind, around 20.

• Options

So if your concern is the environment, why would you consider UKIP and their anti-renewables policy? Yes, you can protest, but you need to protest against something and/or for something more specific than just not one of the big 3.
    You're still getting too tied up with policy. Green-UKIP waverers quite possibly have no idea about UKIP's energy policy; they just know that they're (1) anti-EU and (2) anti-Westminster establishment, both of which they may approve of (Euroscepticism and concern for the environment not being incompatible).

In fact, I disagree that you "need to protest against something and/or for something more specific than just not one of the big 3". You don't. You can quite happily give two fingers to the political elite simply because you don't think they care about you / are listening / whatever. I know of people who voted BNP last time not because they supported Griffin but because they were fed up of feeling ignored and effectively wanted to shout 'boo!' via the ballot box.
  • Options

Charles said:

Given the mainstream attachment to 19th and 20th century technology it could be argued that the Greens are the party in favour of technological innovation.
    Exactly. Burning coal is so 19th century.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited May 2014
    Looking ahead to 2015, are labour looking at a 'green problem' similar to the tories UKIP creep, even taking tactical voting into account....??
  • Options
    Voodoo Facebook numbers:

My Friend list (~ 500 friends) vs total likes...

6 Labour (169326)
    4 Con (179403)
    3 Britain First (348153 !)
    2 UKIP (151682)
    2 Green (46998)
    2 Lib Dems (95308)
  • Options

JonathanD said:

With that intensity of support, you have to wonder how long it would be before Labour was polling in the teens, if it did form a government after the next election.
    I'd give it less than 16 months.

The May 2009 MORI poll did put Labour on 18% of the vote, and that was in a relatively UKIP-free political landscape.

If you look at the detail of the opinion polls you see that while Labour has gained plenty of Lib Dem 2010 voters, their 2010 core vote has been eroded with votes lost to UKIP. The 2010 Lib Dem voters who switch to Labour are likely to be quickly disappointed - though if Miliband is forced into a Coalition they may always be able to blame the Lib Dems again!
  • Options

This news just breaking: people can care about more than one thing.

Votes for minor parties can be very good signal-senders. If I want to express concern re the EU or immigration, voting UKIP is an effective way of doing so. If I hated the Iraq War and wanted to let my local Labour politician know about it, they can read the tea leaves that have been totted up in the RESPECT column. If I want to express concern about climate change, voting Green works.

I frequently vote for minor parties partly because I believe politicians who look at the results can be left in no doubt what concerns I was attempting to express, and what kind of thing might win my vote. On the other hand, I've never really been sure of the point of voting for Lib Dems as a "protest vote" - they're so wooly in their definition, it's pretty much a vote for NOTA.

Now there are usually several different signals I want to send, on those occasions I can't find a party platform and candidate I am happy to wholeheartedly endorse. It's not unreasonable for someone to have both environmental concerns (but be worried about the Greens' economic and European policy) while also being hostile to the EU (but be unhappy about much of the UKIP carnival). After weighing things up, you makes your cross and takes your choice. Someone torn between UKIP and the Greens doesn't suffer from some bizarre split personality - they just occupy a gap in the political market which a somewhat eurosceptic, environmentally-conscious and economically liberal party might occupy. (In fact in some European countries, there exist liberal/right-wing analogues of the Green party. And the Cameroon wing of the Tories isn't far off that hue of the political spectrum. It's just a minority position.)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

It's gone quite dark in Richmond Park. The rain is lashing down but as yet no thunder and lightning. Perhaps Thor and Loki are asleep. Oooooooops, tell a lie, the spark has crossed the sky and the hammer has sounded.

It's just reached the City...
  • Options

Charles said:

Given the Greens have a "zero-growth" strategy, they're not particularly attached to technological improvement, which increases growth.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I reckon Britain First could well run AIFE close for 6th...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611
    I was just talking to a few friends about why I vote Tory. It's quite sad really.

Labour are anti-business and anti-wealth, the Lib Dems are duplicitous and their hearts are full of treachery, I don't like UKIP's new appeal to former BNP/EDL members/voters, I find that the Greens are just communists in sheep's (green) clothing and voting for any other party is a waste.

Preferably I would like a party to be economically laissez faire, fiscally conservative and socially liberal. None of the parties currently have those policies, though the Tories are closer than the rest. Bring on full PR so we can get proper representation of different views I say!
  • Options
    Biblical rain storms in central London now.

Wonder if it might affect the standard's prediction of a win for LAB here...
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    edited May 2014

Charles said:

Greens are just socialist control freaks using the environment as an excuse to tell you what to do.

Environmental measures will improve through technology better without Greens trying to interfere.

And Greens support a reduction in personal freedom through the removal of individuals' cars.

(Guess one party I didn't vote for today).

• Options
    JBriskin said:

Meme Alert

*Techno-Greens*

Yes: they take herbal rather than synthetic products at raves
  • Options
    I'll admit it is the Green's energy, economic and generally marxist tax and spend policies that put me off.

I do like their bee friendly policies though, and the fact they are not determined to brick over the countryside.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I bloody hope not !
  • Options
    Double confirmed Charles
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

There's definitely a rationalist vs mystic tension in there. Turn up the techno up to eleven and you end up with the Pirates.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I was just talking to a few friends about why I vote Tory. It's quite sad really.

Labour are anti-business and anti-wealth, the Lib Dems are duplicitous and their hearts are full of treachery, I don't like UKIP's new appeal to former BNP/EDL members/voters, I find that the Greens are just communists in sheep's (green) clothing and voting for any other party is a waste.

Preferably I would like a party to be economically laissez faire, fiscally conservative and socially liberal. None of the parties currently have those policies, though the Tories are closer than the rest. Bring on full PR so we can get proper representation of different views I say!

I'm not sure how fiscally conservative the Pirates are overall - I suspect where they have to take a view on austerity right now they're playing it opportunistically - but they'd definitely fit economically laissez-faire and socially liberal. I don't think they have a full national slate in the Euros this time around but it wouldn't take a lot of donations for them to have one next time.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    taffys said:

@PSbook: The @metoffice to release a statement shortly clarifying which type of gays caused torrential rain storms on election day #voteUKIP
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pulpstar said:

I'll admit it is the Green's energy, economic and generally marxist tax and spend policies that put me off.

I do like their bee friendly policies though, and the fact they are not determined to brick over the countryside.

@tess_riley: Don't miss your vote today. I'm voting for @TheGreenParty. Here's why. #VoteGreen2014 http://t.co/xsjQFR6qgY
  • Options
    The gloom has lifted and the sun peeps through puffy white and grey clouds; oh, and the rain has ceased to fall.

Great fun while it lasted.
  • Options

You're still getting too tied up with policy. Green-UKIP waverers quite possibly have no idea about UKIP's energy policy; they just know that they're (1) anti-EU and (2) anti-Westminster establishment, both of which they may approve of (Euroscepticism and concern for the environment not being incompatible).

In fact, I disagree that you "need to protest against something and/or for something more specific than just not one of the big 3". You don't. You can quite happily give two fingers to the political elite simply because you don't think they care about you / are listening / whatever. I know of people who voted BNP last time not because they supported Griffin but because they were fed up of feeling ignored and effectively wanted to shout 'boo!' via the ballot box.

Top post. Most voters have only the sketchiest ideas of party policies. In fact, parties* often only have a sketchy idea of policy themselves ... at least everybody knows what the central plank of UKIP's policy is. The party's own grasp on any other policies is shaky to say the least, but that's really not the point of UKIP, or voting for them, anyway. How many months is it now til the next General Election? And even as something of a political geek, I have absolutely no idea of what Labour's central policy plank is giong to be. Far clearer idea of what image they want to project and a good guess at what comms strategy they'll want to use.

As for the two-fingers BNP vote, I'm sure that won them far more votes than any public affection for Nick Griffin. But in many ways it was a more wasted vote than one for RESPECT, or TUSC or the Greens or UKIP. It informed the major parties, particularly Labour, that they needed to do more to reconnect with the white working class vote, but it didn't suggest which political clothes to steal in order to do so.

* I'd say normally add that this is true for parties "out of government", but with the Coalition I think it's even true for the governing parties. At least in public, they haven't seriously commenced the work of policy differentiation yet.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Charles said:

Given the Greens have a "zero-growth" strategy, they're not particularly attached to technological improvement, which increases growth.
    The two things are not inconsistent - the Green option simply prefers to use the efficiencies of technological development to increase leisure time rather than GDP.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,886
    taffys said:

Here in SE Scotland it was a dampish start, fine smirr graduating to heavier showers during the day, but now dryish in many areas. Looks as if there'll be reasonable chances for people to vote without getting too wet, if at all.

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

MaxPB said:

I'm not sure how fiscally conservative the Pirates are overall - I suspect where they have to take a view on austerity right now they're playing it opportunistically - but they'd definitely fit economically laissez-faire and socially liberal. I don't think they have a full national slate in the Euros this time around but it wouldn't take a lot of donations for them to have one next time.
    In fairness it's probably the area where we have most divergence of opinion amongst members, although personally I would describe the current manifesto as 'classical liberal' on an economic scale (eg In favour of Land Value Tax and a Citizens Income) with elements of radicalism (where does a positive view on crypto-currencies fall on an economic scale?!).
  • Options

The two things are not inconsistent - the Green option simply prefers to use the efficiencies of technological development to increase leisure time rather than GDP.

I don't know how it is now - but greens used to be zero GDP growth - efficiencies are quite a separate subject.

• Options
    [I would describe the current manifesto as 'classical liberal' on an economic scale (eg In favour of Land Value Tax and a Citizens Income)]

Good - but you're called the, err, pirate party.

[with elements of radicalism (where does a positive view on crypto-currencies fall on an economic scale?!).]

Idiotic
  • Options
    **** Betting Post ****

Those nice people at Ladbrokes are offering odds of 4/1 against Harry's forecast of the LibDems winning 2 Euro seats.
    That's good enough for me buy DYOR!
  • Options
    For anyone with a spare 20 minutes, the thread below the Suzanne Moore curtain raiser on the elections is worth a read.

The best liked posts are those accusing labour of having betrayed the working class. (actually, betrayed is too weak a word).

Oh what a weeping and a wailing and a gnashing of teeth.....
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Top post. Most voters have only the sketchiest ideas of party policies. In fact, parties* often only have a sketchy idea of policy themselves ... at least everybody knows what the central plank of UKIP's policy is. The party's own grasp on any other policies is shaky to say the least, but that's really not the point of UKIP, or voting for them, anyway. How many months is it now til the next General Election? And even as something of a political geek, I have absolutely no idea of what Labour's central policy plank is giong to be. Far clearer idea of what image they want to project and a good guess at what comms strategy they'll want to use.

As for the two-fingers BNP vote, I'm sure that won them far more votes than any public affection for Nick Griffin. But in many ways it was a more wasted vote than one for RESPECT, or TUSC or the Greens or UKIP. It informed the major parties, particularly Labour, that they needed to do more to reconnect with the white working class vote, but it didn't suggest which political clothes to steal in order to do so.

* I'd say normally add that this is true for parties "out of government", but with the Coalition I think it's even true for the governing parties. At least in public, they haven't seriously commenced the work of policy differentiation yet.
    Actually, today is not the day to discuss future policies or manifestos. Today is one for quiet contemplation on what the possible results of todays elections bring.
    If UKIP come top of the Euros in votes and seats it will cause a political earthquake, whichever side one is on politically.
    If they don't, then it's back to the drawing board. However, the board will have changed too.

• Options
    taffys said:

Speaking of biblical I wonder when the UK will graduate from the King Herod's Census-inspired restriction that you have to vote at a particular polling station, close to where you live, and let you just show up at whatever polling station is most convenient to you, wherever you happen to be at the time.
  • Options

**** Betting Post ****

Those nice people at Ladbrokes are offering odds of 4/1 against Harry's forecast of the LibDems winning 2 Euro seats.
    That's good enough for me buy DYOR!

Not a chance in hell of the Lib Dems getting a NW seat and not a SE, if they get a SE surely they get a NW - though the lack of a NW seat doesn't imply the lack of a SE seat !
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    taffys said:

If you want to be scared or very accurate with the weather follow these 2.
    http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php
    http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/

Who knew there was a tornado watch on the 14th of February.
  • Options

taffys said:

Speaking of biblical I wonder when the UK will graduate from the King Herod's Census-inspired restriction that you have to vote at a particular polling station, close to where you live, and let you just show up at whatever polling station is most convenient to you, wherever you happen to be at the time.
    How would they tell whether people have voted twice?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

taffys said:

Whilst I was voting this morning I did think 'this is an EU election - why can't I just randomly decide that I want to postal vote in some other EU country (ie Sweden) instead of here'. Might make working out how many seats each 'country' is due slightly tricky though...
  • Options
    Lennon said:

MaxPB said:

In fairness it's probably the area where we have most divergence of opinion amongst members, although personally I would describe the current manifesto as 'classical liberal' on an economic scale (eg In favour of Land Value Tax and a Citizens Income) with elements of radicalism (where does a positive view on crypto-currencies fall on an economic scale?!).
    Since when has a "Citizen's Income" been "classical liberal"? The government paying everyone a flat fee is more socialist.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Charles said:

Why would anyone bother to invest in new technologies if they can't make money out of it?
  • Options
    [Since when has a "Citizen's Income" been "classical liberal"? The government paying everyone a flat fee is more socialist.]

You are correct Socrates. But this is the 21st C - Cornucopia - Liberals thinks outside the box.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

taffys said:

How would they tell whether people have voted twice?
    This could be coordinated using the telegram and its successor technologies.

They should probably be doing this coordination even now, since it's perfectly legal to be registered in multiple places but only legal to vote in one of them.
  • Options
    [Why would anyone bother to invest in new technologies if they can't make money out of it?]

People my age bought the original Playstation. Trying to keep you youngies and oldies in balance is a real problem.
  • Options
    Other half confirms she'll be voting Green.
  • Options
    http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/42320/

Teresa May has been called a bad word
  • Options
    A Con/Grn Alliance Pulpstar :) First time I've been with a person of the same party - I feel it's a bit of a problem. [censored bit]
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Lennon said:

Since when has a "Citizen's Income" been "classical liberal"? The government paying everyone a flat fee is more socialist.
    There's some discussion of free-market people and the Citizens Income here:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-ryan-should-support-a-basic-income-2013-11

Basically you get rid of a whole bunch of micro-managing big-government programs. Hence:
    Fox News host Stuart Varney was extremely supportive of the idea. The American Enterprise Institute's Charles Murray has written an entire book on it. Milton Friedman was a huge proponent of a negative income tax, which is a very similar idea.
    Meanwhile, Falkvinge's core argument is that:
    This leads to the most logical justification for Universal Basic Income yet: society as a whole benefits from a risk-positive environment, and if you can provide a mechanism where anybody can try any stupid commercial idea without risking becoming homeless and indebted, more people will innovate and take risks – and the society using this mechanism will get a competitive edge.
    http://falkvinge.net/2013/08/31/more-thoughts-on-the-coming-swarm-economy/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

East Midlands looks like it could be a real 3 way fight for first place. Ukip collapsed there somewhat after Kilroy Silk's earthquake in 2004
    Seems almost sure to be 2-2-1 here but not clear who's the 1. Knocking up so far pretty positive, but of course that's just people we believe to be supporters. Light drizzle here now for the first time.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

Why would anyone bother to invest in new technologies if they can't make money out of it?
    Your question does not follow from what I said.

Keeping GDP static [or at least not obsessing about increasing it endlessly] would not mean that there would be no profit and no technological innovation. It would just mean that the benefit of technological progress would be used to increase those things that are not measured by GDP - eg leisure time, unpaid creative work, reductions in harmful environmental side-effects.
  • Options
    Well this is awkward - It's orange vs. yellow on the cricket. For 4 hours. Damn you Cosmopolitan Conspiracy!!!
  • Options
    O/T

Writing his first column for Paddy Power, Paul Scholes states that he believes Wayne Rooney is probably past his peak.

Hasn't England's No.1 player not long ago signed a five year contract extension with Man Utd worth £300,000 a week, equivalent to £78,000,000 (+ NIC) over its entire term?

Oh Dear!
  • Options

Seems almost sure to be 2-2-1 here but not clear who's the 1. Knocking up so far pretty positive, but of course that's just people we believe to be supporters. Light drizzle here now for the first time.
    Forgive me for sounding thick but how do you work out who are your supporters ?
This discussion has been closed.