Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest Slot: Five reasons to bet on Labour winning the Euros

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited May 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest Slot: Five reasons to bet on Labour winning the Euros this Thursday

Predicting an election when the three top parties could well end up within three or four points of one and other and in any order of gold, silver and bronze is likely a fool’s errand. But finding value in the betting market before Thursday isn’t.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    My one worry about betting on LAB MOST VOTES in the Euros is that LAB voters are famously lazy in non-GE elections. Vast swathes of them will tell pollsters and canvassers that they will be voting Labour but then have find that they have better things to do on Thursday.

Add in SLAB's GOTV woes, and LAB could seriously underperform their respectable polling numbers.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Hmm, well, Labour winning is a biggish loser for me, so I hope you're wrong!

My take on your five reasons:

1. Unlikely to make much difference

2. True, but already in the opinion polling

3. Differential turnout is likely to help UKIP more than Labour

4. You are being complacent about UKIP's campaigning skills

5. Maybe, but the polling doesn't really provide much support for that theory.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,725
    I'm assuming that it is still possible to place a bet on the Euros until Sunday, therefore the local results could guide last minute betting strategies.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Thank you Marcus Roberts – sensible and sound advice all round – TBH, a pleasant surprise.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Why? This seems like a really big point.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Because of the much higher enthusiasm of UKIP voters both generally (at the moment), and specifically in relation to European elections.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Add in SLAB's GOTV woes, and LAB could seriously underperform their respectable polling numbers.

100% agree. I wonder if the recent hoo-haa over racism has led to some kipper respondents going 'shy', which could also account for them seeming to lose momentum.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Richard_Nabavi
    A reasonable point Richard, it might be somewhat diluted though by a percentage of Labour and Ex Labour voters having a desire to register a modicum of disapproval at the coalitions policies.
    I know that it will shock you to learn, but Georges economic miracle has not yet touched the majority, and at least a few of them are smart enough to work out why.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi
    A reasonable point Richard, it might be somewhat diluted though by a percentage of Labour and Ex Labour voters having a desire to register a modicum of disapproval at the coalitions policies.

Quite a few of them seem to want to register disapproval of Labour as well:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/elections-2014-labour-just-makes-empty-promises-all-ive-got-left-is-ukip-9399929.html

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2014
    One or more of the main parties is being over estimated in the polls.
    In 2009 the "big 5" totalled 82% of the votes. This year the average of the last 6 polls of the big 5 up to yesterday wasa total of 92.2%. The decline of the BNP from its 6% is not going to make up all of that gap. Which ones are the polls over estimating? UKIP and LAB are the highest.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    I was thinking of writing a very similar piece on my blog, but Marcus has beaten me to it and done a much better job than I would have done anyway. So I won't bother.

I've backed Labour and agree with a lot of this.
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi

I didn't say all voters, some of the working class are every bit as gullible as Tories.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @WikiGuido: A badly briefed Ed Miliband tries to bluff his way through an interview. It goes disastrously: http://t.co/rfoF59PdZx
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Labour has ground game, UKIP doesn’t
    I think that UKIP organisation on the ground is improving by leaps and bounds. Obviously the improvement is patchy, but at some point the assertion that UKIP doesn't have a ground game is going to be exposed for being terribly complacent.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    1. I think they'll have the same sort of impact as UK First did in 2009; they took about 1% of the vote overall, and were intended as a spoiler party for UKIP.

2. The polls are agreed at putting the Tories on 19-21% for the Euros. I don't think they're going to surprise us on the upside.

3. As against that, UKIP supporters are older than average, and very committed to going out to vote. Overall, turnout in local elections, and EU elections, doesn't vary by much. I don't think there are that many people who would stay at home in a standalone Euro contest, who'll be motivated to go out and vote because their council is having an election.

Labour voters *are* motivated to vote in secondary elections, if there's a general election the same day - as in 2010.

4. Labour have many more members than UKIP, and their machine is more professional. This should help Labour on the day. However, I think you underestimate how hard many UKIP branches are campaigning in this election.

5. Three weeks ago, UKIP did seem to be running away with this election. I think that the relentless media campaign against them has set them back slightly. But, in the past 24 hours, we've had four polls still giving UKIP c.30% of the vote on average.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2014
    On point 2. Since the budget Con and UKIP have both gone up in the polls, Labour down. Thus the specter of a humiliating third for EdM's official opposition party.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Socrates said:

I think what Andrew means is that in 2009 Euros the Con vote was inflated because the traditionally Tory county councils were being elected on the same day.Now in 2014 the local elections are in more traditionally Labour urban council areas which,hypothetically,could lead to an increased Labour share.Makes sense?

• Options
    I think that the relentless media campaign against them has set them back slightly.

Or the relentless media campaign has made people a little less open about saying they are UKIP supporters???
  • Options

Socrates said:

I think what Andrew means is that in 2009 Euros the Con vote was inflated because the traditionally Tory county councils were being elected on the same day.Now in 2014 the local elections are in more traditionally Labour urban council areas which,hypothetically,could lead to an increased Labour share.Makes sense?

But, the Conservatives' vote share in both the County and Euro elections wasn't very impressive, in 2009.

• Options
    Marcus, an interesting article but if Labour sent out its free post after the postal votes went out there is only one word for that campaign organisation, INEPT. If a major party cannot get that basic element right, in a campaign where postal votes have a bigger impact than at a GE, you ought to be wondering what other horrors are going on inside the Labour party's campaign operation.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    @MonikerDiCanio

But of course third would be a respectable result for the Tories if your spectre doesn't appear?
  • Options
    That went well then

@paulwaugh: RT @laurapitel: Steel drummer at Ukip carnival says he was misled. If he knew it was for ukip he wouldn't have come. http://t.co/NWbhBhKpkF
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    On the Arlanda Express. Has free wifi which is more than can be said for British trains.
  • Options
    Marcus your point "What’s more, in London and Manchester and other big cities where Labour councillors actually did well in the 2010 council elections,"

There is some historical evidence that in the year when local elections coincide with a GE involving a change in Govt then the outgoing Govt party actually gains councillor seats. 1979, 1997 and 2010 saw this oddity happen.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,475
    I do have a lot of respect for Kate Hoey, and I think she is correct here. It's spectacularly idiotic of the local Labour Party to have done this.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-mp-demands-fictional-leaflet-from-her-own-party-is-withdrawn-9402047.html
  • Options
    "Circling the wagons" round Cameron is fine, as long as the guns are pointing in the right direction. ;-)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Nabavi et al: Let's just wait until Sunday. All will be revealed.

@TCPoliticalBetting. No, it does not make sense for Labour. The majority of the Labour voters will vote in the polling booth. It does not make sense to send the Free stuff so early. Better to remind them just before the polls.

I am going to do my rounds tonight.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 5m
    Croydon UKIP carnival: the Lobby (after lunch), sketch writers, Crick, steel drummers and assorted protesters. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    @TelePolitics: Blog: If Scottish teens are backing the Union, in whose name are the Nats fighting? http://t.co/uQpeiwMnme
  • Options
    @WikiGuido: Meanwhile at the UKIP carnival, the steel drummer is refusing to play the steel drums because he says UKIP is a racist party. Amazing.

Oh dear.
  • Options
    @surbiton

Typo? come Sunday, all will be "reviled"? (standard after any election)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@WikiGuido: A badly briefed Ed Miliband tries to bluff his way through an interview. It goes disastrously: http://t.co/rfoF59PdZx

Very funny. Another indicator of ineptness in the LAB campaign team.

"(Swindon) Presenter: You do know who Jim Grant is Mr Miliband?
    EM: You will enlighten me I am sure.
    Presenter: Swindon Labour leader.
    EM: Yeah I think he is doing a good job.
    Presenter: Will he feel like you support him enough if you don’t even know his name?"
  • Options
    @skyelections: Welcome to the Twitter account for election results direct from @SkyNews
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    isam said:

Croydon UKIP carnival: the Lobby (after lunch), sketch writers, Crick, steel drummers and assorted protesters. What could possibly go wrong?

Croydon. Is the party outside Lunar House?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,943
    taffys said:

100% agree. I wonder if the recent hoo-haa over racism has led to some kipper respondents going 'shy', which could also account for them seeming to lose momentum.

One wonders also about the impact of the Better Together Campaign, given its members. If it's Scotland, it is BAAAAAD to be out of the EU (cue malicious giggles about student fees), we have been told ad nauseam. And also that the Tories and LDs will Make Sure Of It by having Quiet Words with their chums in the EU.

But suddenly if it's the UK, it is GOOOOD to be out of the EU.

Okay, Labour is consistent in its position - as well as the few remaining LDs - but when it comes to Scottish politics' key current issue, they are in bed with the Tories, some of whom most certainly are not consistent, while the Kippers are banging on the door of the No Campaign office to be let in.

So, if I were a previous Labour or LD voter and had taken the trouble to turn out, I might think twice about voting for a Unionist party in the Euro elections.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Latest prediction averages:

UKIP 26.60%
    Lab 25.84%
    Con 23.37%
    LD 8.01%
    Green 7.05%
    AIFE 2.08%
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    edited May 2014
    I agree with Stuart that the reluctance of Labour supporters to actually do the voting thing means they are unlikely to perform as well as their polling on Thursday. AIUI there is a relatively modest share of local authorities up on Thursday in England, none in Scotland. Labour will do better in these areas but where the Euros are the only ballot going they will not vote in large numbers and pretending that GOTV will help them is frankly fantasy.

I also agree that UKIP supporters were (in their traditional anti EU mode) much more motivated to vote in the Euros, not least because there was a better chance of success. Whether that applies to the same extent to their NOTA Jonnie come latelys is less clear. I suspect not.

The tories and the Lib Dems are in government and the point of the Euros is to give the government a kicking so they will not do well either.

I suspect that turnout will be another low (I have a tiny bet with Nick about this) and that the vote will scatter wider than expected with the Greens doing well as a NOTA party without the nasty tinge (at least in most peoples' minds, personally I find most green policy very nasty and self serving).

Labour really ought to win as the principal opposition but the failure of Ed to capture the protest vote is one of his most important weaknesses. My guess is that Labour will not win. Again.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    isam said:

hi Sam sorry FPT that blog link you put up doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong? V much looking forward to reading it.
  • Options

Presenter: Will he feel like you support him enough if you don’t even know his name?"

@timothy_stanley: Swindon labour councillors: get your own back by appearing on newsnight and pretending you've never heard of Ed Miliband
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Carnyx said:

taffys said:

One wonders also about the impact of the Better Together Campaign, given its members. If it's Scotland, it is BAAAAAD to be out of the EU (cue malicious giggles about student fees), we have been told ad nauseam. And also that the Tories and LDs will Make Sure Of It by having Quiet Words with their chums in the EU.

Okay, Labour is consistent in its position - as well as the few remaining LDs - but when it comes to Scottish politics' key current issue, they are in bed with the Tories, some of whom most certainly are not consistent, while the Kippers are banging on the door of the No Campaign office to be let in.

So, if I were a previous Labour or LD voter and had taken the trouble to turn out, I might think twice about voting for a Unionist party in the Euro elections.
    Such a long post and all you can affect is whether SNP wins 2 seats or 3. Pity !
  • Options
    @rowenamason: Ugly scenes at Ukip Croydon carnival with clash between Romanian protesters and member accusing them of being a "guest" in his country
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Latest prediction averages:
    UKIP 26.60% Lab 25.84% Con 23.37% LD 8.01% Green 7.05% AIFE 2.08%

Looks a few % too high IMHO.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@timothy_stanley: Swindon labour councillors: get your own back by appearing on newsnight and pretending you've never heard of Ed Miliband

Or even better, by saying how proud they are to support David Miliband and what an excellent job he's doing as leader.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    A Fabian guest slot is quite impressive isn't it?? PB is the Gold Standard!!!
  • Options
    @journodave: Well, this is going well for UKIP in Croydon http://t.co/57WzMUZQf6 (via @MichaelPDeacon)

@Jack_Blanchard_: Ukip's multicultural carnival descends into anarchy as angry Romanians arrive with banners. The Ukip steel band has stopped playing #Croydon
  • Options

Scott_P said:

" You will enlighten me I am sure ".
    Patronizing little git.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@journodave: Well, this is going well for UKIP in Croydon http://t.co/57WzMUZQf6 (via @MichaelPDeacon)

@Jack_Blanchard_: Ukip's multicultural carnival descends into anarchy as angry Romanians arrive with banners. The Ukip steel band has stopped playing #Croydon

Wow. They seem like an angry bunch. I wouldn't want them moving in next door.
  • Options

The live tweeting of this has been hilarious, UKIP are coming across as shambolic.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Patronizing little git.

Ed considers himself to be the intellectual superior of his interviewer.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

That 'Romanian' protestor looks suspiciously like Barbara Roche - Is she at it again..!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

hi Sam sorry FPT that blog link you put up doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong? V much looking forward to reading it.
    Hmm they seem to have changed the url.. dunno why

Here it is

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/20/mass-migration-is-a-tax-on-working-classes
  • Options
    Wow this is thunderingly unpleasant

@johnestevens: Ukip member yells at Romanian lady: "your country sent Jews to gas chamber, you'd wet your knickers if you met a real racist"
  • Options

Socrates said:

Because of the much higher enthusiasm of UKIP voters both generally (at the moment), and specifically in relation to European elections.
    That seems to be a separate point, not a negation of the point about these elections happening more in Labour areas. That's something the polls won't pick up on.

I think Labour will win these elections. They've hardly faced any criticism, while the other three parties and the media have done a full court press on UKIP. It would have to be an earthquake for UKIP to win despite such wall to wall negative coverage.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    Wildly off topic but I’ve just had a cold (phone) call offering, for a fee to stop all cold calls. And it wasn’t BT!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Scott_P said:

Wow. They seem like an angry bunch. I wouldn't want them moving in next door.
    Don't worry. Some nice Germans will be along shortly, to show the respectable side of Europe.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Carnival atmosphere ruined by hacks and thugs. What a shame.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Carnyx said:

taffys said:

The Tories are completely consistent:

They believe that the appropriate Demos is the UK. That is consistent with being out of the EU but with Scotland being in the UK. Even the most Europhilic don't view Europe as a single Demos.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

The Ukip steel band has stopped playing

They should have paid them more, like the Welsh band in Decline and Fall

"But no man can you ask against his Maker to blaspheme whatever unless him to pay more you were. Three pounds for the music is good and one for the blasphemy look you."
  • Options

The romanians did fight with the Germans - and at stalingrad, they probably wished they hadn't.

I have read that British police officers in Jersey assisted Germans in finding and expelling jews on the island during the occupation.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ToryJim said:

The live tweeting of this has been hilarious, UKIP are coming across as shambolic.

Consistently anti-UKIP PB poster views tweets from consistently anti-UKIP tweeters as showing UKIP are shambolic. Stop the press.

For goodness sake, this is Twitter. It's users are mainly the mentally deficient.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any ides who most of the East Europeans in the UK would vote for ?

• Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

Am having the same problem - any chance of @isam posting all the text on here for the lazy vultures ;~
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

@johnestevens: Ukip member yells at Romanian lady: "your country sent Jews to gas chamber, you'd wet your knickers if you met a real racist"

This is good news for the Tories. A lot of Racists do not want to associate with the idea that they are racists.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Does anyone have any ides who most of the East Europeans in the UK would vote for ?

Labour, of course. It's who all the immigrants vote for. That's why Labour is keen on gerrymandering the electorate to bring in more of them.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

ToryJim said:

Consistently anti-UKIP PB poster views tweets from consistently anti-UKIP tweeters as showing UKIP are shambolic. Stop the press.

For goodness sake, this is Twitter. It's users are mainly the mentally deficient.
    https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Ukip steel band packing up. Guy who runs it tells me "I didn't know it was Ukip. I can't stand here and pretend".
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Scott_P said:

Patronizing little git.

Remember he is intellectually superior after all..
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Socrates said:

ToryJim said:

Have you been taking debating lessons from malcolmg?

• Options
    taffys said:

I have read that British police officers in Jersey assisted Germans in finding and expelling jews on the island during the occupation.

Scumbag, traitorous British police officers.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Socrates said:

taffys said:

Scumbag, traitorous British police officers.
    Thanks, I think that answers my question.

• Options

Wildly off topic but I’ve just had a cold (phone) call offering, for a fee to stop all cold calls. And it wasn’t BT!

Or you could sign up to the Telephone Preference Service for free...

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

(I hate sharks who don't add any value to their customers)

• Options
    Come on you lazy sods! Peston has posted another article that needs rubbished

Break out the yellow boxes and get with the program.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27488742.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Socrates said:

surbiton said:

Labour, of course. It's who all the immigrants vote for. That's why Labour is keen on gerrymandering the electorate to bring in more of them.
    I disagree. I think a majority of Polish people here would vote Tory. Romanians and Bulgarians because of recent circumstances will probably vote Labour.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

You're right. The footage on the evening news of the protesters, and the band leaving before Nige arrived is going to look soooooo much better.
  • Options

Socrates said:

ToryJim said:

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage
    I said "mainly". Unfortunately, the mentally deficient make up a fair share of the electorate, meaning even the best politicians need to cater to them.
  • Options
    taffys said:

The romanians did fight with the Germans - and at stalingrad, they probably wished they hadn't.

Both the Iron Guards and Marshal Antonescu's regime were fanatically anti-Semitic.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Socrates said:

You're right. The footage on the evening news of the protesters, and the band leaving before Nige arrived is going to look soooooo much better.
    If they're the sort of student lefty idiots that usually attend these protests, then I think most viewers will probably conclude we want less of them immigrating.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    JBriskin said:

A Fabian guest slot is quite impressive isn't it?? PB is the Gold Standard!!!

And to follow up this evening, you have a piece by me!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Is Ladbrokes down ?
  • Options
    Smarmeron - Can't see a problem with the first couple of sections - what are we looking for?
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Am having the same problem - any chance of @isam posting all the text on here for the lazy vultures ;~
    Here you are

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/20/mass-migration-is-a-tax-on-working-classes
  • Options
    I look forward to it Corporeal :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Socrates said:

Footage of soapy protestors having a pop at UKIP isnt bad for UKIP

The steel band sounded like a terrible idea from the start, Ill give you (or the people you are retweeting should I say) that
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2014

Scott_P said:

Patronizing little git.

Only temporarily. Listen to the recording on Guido, particularly the last 20 seconds.

EM: No, I know that Jim is doing a good job for Swindon and I think he is doing a good job as leader of the council.
    Presenter: But he is not leader of the council is he Mr Miliband? It’s a Conservative led council.
    EM: I think he is doing a good job for Labour on the council. I think he is doing a good job for Labour on the council.
    Presenter: So let’s be clear. Who runs Swindon council?
    EM: It’s a Conservative controlled council.

All intellectual superiority has evaporated and the last line is delivered like a contrite schoolboy. Arf!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Carnival atmosphere ruined by hacks and thugs. What a shame.
    It will mean there's more coverage to the fact that UKIP were trying to get a message across to ethnic minority voters. More people will see that and also see that the usual angry idiots wanted to shut down their message.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Socrates said:

The steel band sounded like a terrible idea from the start
    Why?

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Details for the Opinium/Daily Mail EU Parliament poll.

http://news.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/european-parliament-polling-13th-may

Field work was 13-16 May.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    Charles said:

Or you could sign up to the Telephone Preference Service for free...

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

(I hate sharks who don't add any value to their customers)

Trouble is, Charles, every so often I get a deal of quiet amusement from winding them up. Sad, I know.

Had a call the other day from one of the people offering to “help” with the virus on my computer, as advised by Microsoft. When I said I used Mac he said I was very wise!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Blog: If Scottish teens are backing the Union, in whose name are the Nats fighting? http://t.co/uQpeiwMnme

Because they believe in democracy? And giving the young uns a say?

Hmm, anything by Ms Hjul needs to be read with care as there is never any doubt of her likely stance. That looks a very short and selective list of university student polls, for a start - I'm sure I've seen others. Though it may be the Reuters selection rather than hers.

Perhaps more importantly, has there been any discussion here of this poll by Carrington Dean and in particular what people think of it? It's an online poll with n =1042. Interestingly, although this has been in the news for a cuple of days, it's not mentioned in John Curtice's website.

Carrington Dean, in the Reuters story which is her source, is said to be a financial services company, and at least one report says it's a DIY job by CD themselves, which it does seem to be - in fact it is a wider 'Scottish Teen Money Survey':

http://www.carringtondean.com/media/resources/Carrington Dean Scottish Teen Money Survey.pdf

If it draws upon the existing customer base - and there is no indication one way or another - then you'd have an instant bias for higher socioeconomic groups. I see 90% are in education, 5% working and 5% unemployed, and a number of the other responses could be interpreted in that way though [edit] that could just as well be the financially clueless teenager factor. No indication at all of how selected let alone any balances.

• Options
    @JBriskin
    I have nothing against the article, but he is committing the heresy of pointing out that George might not be the genius so many though.
    The economy has not been "fixed", it has improved slightly (and far slower than after most other depression/recessions).
    Most of what has got certain people excited has been the usual smoke and mirrors.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Here you are

That's. Not sure your comparative wage calculation is as clear as it could be, but I know what you are trying to demonstrate.

It's clear that unskilled immigration is going to press hardest on those who don't have differentiated skills. If the government is going to pursue this kind of policy, then they need to invest in providing the native inhabitants training or other means to obtain a higher paying job. That's what - I think - the minimum wage was intended to do (so much easier to spend other people's money) but the trade off is that (a) it's harder for young people to get their first job and (b) it can be very easily undercut by the ruthless, effectively making the situation even worse
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Socrates said:

The steel band sounded like a terrible idea from the start,

UKIP are at the William Hague stage of de-toxification. In about 10 years time you will get a personable young leader with a wife who works in fashion, who introduces an A-list of ethnically and culturally diverse group of prospective MPs and endorses gay marriage.

Get ahead of the curve and just join the Tories and then you can still be right wing but at least have a chance of getting elected.

• Options
    Socrates said:

UKIP were trying to get a message across to ethnic minority voters

And the ethnic minorities they invited left in disgust. On TV.

Awesome.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Carnyx said:

taffys said:

The Tories are completely consistent:

They believe that the appropriate Demos is the UK. That is consistent with being out of the EU but with Scotland being in the UK. Even the most Europhilic don't view Europe as a single Demos.
    Ah! An interesting perspective. Thank you.

• Options
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

Patronizing little git.

Only temporarily. Listen to the recording on Guido, particularly the last 20 seconds.

EM: No, I know that Jim is doing a good job for Swindon and I think he is doing a good job as leader of the council.
    Presenter: But he is not leader of the council is he Mr Miliband? It’s a Conservative led council.
    EM: I think he is doing a good job for Labour on the council. I think he is doing a good job for Labour on the council.
    Presenter: So let’s be clear. Who runs Swindon council?
    EM: It’s a Conservative controlled council.

All intellectual superiority has evaporated and the last line is delivered like a contrite schoolboy. Arf!
    I actually feel a little sorry for EdM.

He was clearly inadequately briefed - that's a fairly obvious factoid that should be on the 1 pager before you go into the radio interview.

He shouldn't be expected to know that off the top of his head though
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Socrates said:

The steel band sounded like a terrible idea from the start
    Why?

Just a bit too crude a stereotype.. maybe they are still all the rage in South London, I always think of them as a bit 70s/80s

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Hmm they seem to have changed the url.. dunno why

Here it is

Great thanks.

Very good piece and makes relevant points which should strike a chord.

Any amount of research has shown that migration provides a net benefit to the host country but that there are, as you highlight, losers amongst the lower-paid indigenous workforce. In theory (!) the increased profits accruing to the capital owners (or "the rich" as you call them!) result in extra investment including in capital stock and the workforce and hence results in job creation.

Does the theory always work in such simple, causal terms? Perhaps not. Has study after study confirmed the theory, however? Yep.

But you make a good point. Especially in this environment of distrust of politicians - not one would ever have the b@lls actually to spell out how winners and losers are determined. Do they fear the electorate wouldn't understand or do they want everything they utter to be unalloyed good news? Not sure but for sure none of them would dare tell it like it is.
  • Options
    He bravely ran away...

@MichaelLCrick: No sign of Nigel Farage at croydon "carnival" yet. One report says he was waiting in car round the corner, but has now left the area.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Here's the tale so far for the Euros...

Backs:

£17.86 Con Votes @ 29.00
    £13.52 Con Votes @ 23.00
    £20.00 Con Votes @ 7.00
    £2.00 Con Votes @ 11.0

£18.00 Labour @ 4.072 (w/o Betfair Commission)
    £20 Labour @ 1.91
    £25 Labour @ 2.5

£60 UKIP @ 2.10
    £30 UKIP @ 1.80

Lays:

£62.29 Con Votes @ 10.79 (w/o Betfair Commission)

Other:

Tricast: UKIP Con Lab £10 @ 11.0
    UKIP Con Lab £15 @ 13.0

London Region: Labour £59.09 @ 2.1
    Greens to beat Lib Dems £5 @ 2.375
    SNP to win Scotland £5 @ 1.25
This discussion has been closed.