Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 25-1 on Danny Alexander being LD leader at GE 2015 is g

124»

Comments

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    isam said:

isam said:

Kipper employing illegal immigrants is funny and allow people to call Kippers hypocrites but won't shift any votes.

He's likely to be an MEP next week though.

Did he do it purposely or by accident?
    Doesn't matter. Employers are supposed to ensure their employees are in the country legally and allowed to work. Saying they didn't know is not an excuse.
    Why do you keep coming out with statements of fact that happen to be just your opinion? It might matter to people that were considering voting for him, its a reasonable question to ask.

If someone assumed a worker was English and didnt ask to see his passport, in my book that is nowhere near as bad as deliberately employing an illegal immigrant.
    pure and simple fact. It is a legal responsibility of an employer to confirm an employee has a right to be here and to work. It is not optional, it is obligatory.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Scott_P said:

Ukip’s small business spokesman has been accused of hypocrisy after his restaurant employed seven illegal immigrants last year.

Ukip has regularly attacked the government’s immigration policy for allowing “huge” numbers of foreign workers to come to the UK and failing to put “the British people first”.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4091343.ece

I thought them picking a restaurant owner was a strange move under the circumstances.

It's businesses like restaurants, fast food chains, shops, petrol stations etc with large numbers of unskilled workers that are the prime area for employers importing illegal workers living twelve to a house in one of the employer's properties and sending the money home.

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/update-men-from-dewsbury-and-heckmondwike-jailed-for-human-trafficking-1-6615353

It's the real reason for youth unemployment as it's the kind of jobs teenagers used to do.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    isam said:

isam said:

Kipper employing illegal immigrants is funny and allow people to call Kippers hypocrites but won't shift any votes.

Doesn't matter. Employers are supposed to ensure their employees are in the country legally and allowed to work. Saying they didn't know is not an excuse.
    Why do you keep coming out with statements of fact that happen to be just your opinion? It might matter to people that were considering voting for him, its a reasonable question to ask.

If someone assumed a worker was English and didnt ask to see his passport, in my book that is nowhere near as bad as deliberately employing an illegal immigrant.
    It is not my opinion it is the law. As an employer it is something I am well aware of.

https://www.gov.uk/check-an-employees-right-to-work-documents

https://www.gov.uk/penalties-for-employing-illegal-workers

Ignorance is no defence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1215198/Baroness-Scotland-facing-10-000-unknowingly-employing-illegal-immigrant-housekeeper.html
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,010
    This is the level of political debate I get with my mates

Text just received

"Fit blonde milf on quessie time"
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Neil said:

Tim_B said:

It's got worse - just had a voice mail from Rick Santorum requesting me to support Karen Handel for US Senate in next Tuesday's primary.

I'd vote for her if she could tell me how to get Santorum stains out of my laundry.

How did the stains get in your laundry?
  • Options
    Columbus's ship Santa Maria discovered
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27397579
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145

isam said:

What an old-fashioned attitude you have RT.

Don't you know in our exciting new economy that all middle class people are entitled to immigrant servants to wipe our arses and wash our cars ?

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    @saddened said:
    KIPPERS do appear to have reading comprehension issues.
    --------------------------------------
    The only thing I cant quite comprehend is why you insist in being such a nasty tit.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

It is not my opinion it is the law. As an employer it is something I am well aware of.

Ignorance is no defence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1215198/Baroness-Scotland-facing-10-000-unknowingly-employing-illegal-immigrant-housekeeper.html
    I dont doubt you are right, but personally I would distinguish between intent and oversight. I havent read the story for all I know the UKIP guy was pulling a fast one
  • Options
    Hillary Clinton beats Sarah Palin in Alaska
    •Jeb Bush (R) 47% {47%} [49%]
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 41% {39%} [42%]

•Rand Paul (R) 46% {47%} [49%]
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 40% {41%} [43%]

•Chris Christie (R) 44% {43%} [46%] (43%)
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 41% {39%} [38%] (42%)

•Mike Huckabee (R) 43% {45%}
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 42% {41%}

•Hillary Clinton (D) 44% {44%} [49%] (53%)
    •Sarah Palin (R) 41% {43%} [40%] (37%)
    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2014/PPP_Release_AK_514.pdf
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2014
    On topic:

As we know, Mike has come up with some whizzo long-shots in the past (did he ever mention his 50/1 on Obama?), spotting opportunities well before anyone else.

There again, by way of balance:

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2008/09/12/could-kitty-be-labours-sarah-palin/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,072
    isam said:

isam said:

It's hardly morally bad, but if it's the law they have to make sure and not just assume, then that's that. It is more of a story if it was intentional though.

• Options
    might as well throw an opinion in on the topic

Libs need a new strategy - obvious what it should be - would also need a new face to front it.

whether they will or not, no idea
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Ignorance is no defence.

I dont doubt you are right, but personally I would distinguish between intent and oversight. I havent read the story for all I know the UKIP guy was pulling a fast one
    The law specifically will not make that distinction.

The responsibility is 100% on the employer.
  • Options
    isam said:

Text just received

Was it accurate?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,626
    Re The Kipper and the illegal immigrants

Those arrested were primarily waiters and bar staff and several were Pakistani and Indian nationals, according to one of the illegal workers.
  • Options
    The Ukip story is a good example of how actual reality is completely different from the political class' version i.e. the sheer number of people working illegally and the sheer number of houses they are living in and the collective effect on employment, housing shortage, tax and pretty much every government stat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

isam said:

It's hardly morally bad, but if it's the law they have to make sure and not just assume, then that's that. It is more of a story if it was intentional though.

By failing to check it can only be intentional.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

@saddened said:
    KIPPERS do appear to have reading comprehension issues.
    --------------------------------------
    The only thing I cant quite comprehend is why you insist in being such a nasty tit.

It gives him some meaning to his life.

my party good, your party bad, my party good, your party bad, my party good, your party bad, my party good, your party bad, my party good, your party bad etc etc etc

He's probably too scared to be a football fan.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

isam said:

Text just received

Was it accurate?

Esther McVey... Yeah I think it is!

Ermm... she's quite annoying actually...but still yes!
  • Options

On topic:

As we know, Mike has come up with some whizzo long-shots in the past (did he ever mention his 50/1 on Obama?), spotting opportunities well before anyone else.

There again, by way of balance:

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2008/09/12/could-kitty-be-labours-sarah-palin/

Though to be fair Sarah Palin's political career has been less than impressive since she became famous.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Text just received

Was it accurate?

Esther McVey... Yeah I think it is!
    Compared with most politicians, OK, I'll grant you that.
  • Options

isam said:

Text just received

Was it accurate?

Richard, I'm surprised you know what a MILF is.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2m

This;ll be a deluge at exactly a week tonight - Ukip supporters claiming they were duped into voting for wrong party
    http://goo.gl/8Z2rfC

UKIP wilng term will play into the anti establishmnet meme that has built up as the other parties and media attack

If its the Conservative I could swallow it thanks to nabbing the 25/1 on Monday
    Actually it will be confirmation that KIPPERS are too stupid to read a ballot paper.
    Possibly

My parents are both voting UKIP for the first time, as am I, and I am certain one of us will vote for the wrong party.. stupid old kippers
    Exactly, stupid old kippers. If people are too stupid to read a ballot paper, what does that say about their understanding of the relevant issues.

I think it would be quite an easy mistake to make, and wouldnt confuse that mistake with them being stupid at all. It would be a shame, especially as many people have very little interest in politics, arent nearly as concened as people on here, and may have been motivated to vote for UKIP having not voted for a long while.
    I'm surprised people are allowed to create such deliberately confusing party names for elections, but while I will not be joyful if it costs UKIP votes on this occasion (Although I don't intend to vote for them myself, I would be very happy if UKIP were able to rise to a position of multiple MPs and be the fourth major force in British politics in the future), there are limits to how outraged I could be about it.

If out of apathetic confusion or any other reason besides stupidity (which people cannot help) people can not even pay enough attention to avoid voting for the wrong party by mistake, it is their own damn fault and I have little sympathy about it - if they have been motivated enough to vote for the first time in a long time, or first time ever, and they are not mentally incapable, then they have to take responsibility for taking the time to notice the shadyness of AIFE'd name and position on the ballot paper.

Yes I am clearly atypical in that I am interested in politics more than most, but we should not treat people like children because they are not that interested in politics generally, and while I don't think it's right AIFE can craft a name for the sole purpose of confusion, it is right and proper that if someone is taking the responsibility to cast their vote in an election, it is upon their shoulders to be discerning about it and on their head if they didn't look at the form closely enough.
  • Options

'I wonder if any company or consortium could be found who would guarantee to build the line for a fixed price.'
    The tenders for all the different sections of work will be at a fixed price. The 14 billion contingencies are over and above the normal engineering and building contingencies which cover changes in design once work has started and unexpected problems for instance in the ground and old fashioned changes of mind by the client. These 14 billion contingencies are mainly for political events which may cause delays disruption and changes.

In other words, no, nobody will take on the project for a fixed price. Suppose we put it a bit wider, not just the build but the running of the railway. Would any company or consortium step up then? Surely there must be at least one, after all we keep getting told that this railway is needed and will make a profit for the taxpayer.
    Dear me HL are you trying to be ironic ???

You'll be suggesting next that income > expenditure is a good thing.

Don't you know such concepts are inappropriate in matters concerning governments and their magic money tree.

• Options

My dear TSE, I make a special effort to keep in touch with popular culture, as long as I don't have to actually listen to or watch it.
  • Options
    philiph said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

isam said:

By failing to check it can only be intentional.
    On that point I was being more general. In this instance the chances they were ignorant of the law seems very low indeed. In other situations it might be more probable that it could be ignorance of the law, though of course that would not get them off the hook.
  • Options

My dear TSE, I make a special effort to keep in touch with popular culture, as long as I don't have to actually listen to or watch it.
    And yet last year you didn't know who Ant and Dec were.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

isam said:

Perhaps a thread on this? OGH is mentioned

"After ICM’s May Polling for The Guardian Found 3 million More UKIP voters Than in April – An Industry Methodology Rethink Is In Order.

I asked seasoned commentator Mike Smithson of Politicalbetting.com over Twitter if he still thought the unprompted Telephone polls such as Ipsos Mori (showing 3% UKIP national support just before in October 2012) had UKIP’s support level right.

Ben Page, Chief Executive of Ipsos Mori, the UK’s second largest market research firm – swiftly tweeted at me to indicate that he thought indeed they had, referencing the 2010 General Election result as evidence.

It’s not 2010 any more…"

http://survation.com/icm-research-shows-ukip-support-doubling-in-29-days-another-clear-indication-polling-industry-methodology-needs-to-change/

You know that blog's a year old.

And Mike did do a thread on it last June

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/06/11/its-time-for-the-rest-of-the-polling-industry-to-follow-survation-and-treat-ukip-on-an-equal-basis/
    Oh there you go, he was write to do a blog on it!

Its not 2013 anymore...!

Did anyone change the methodology?
    Considering the standard of comprehension of the above post, I think it's a good job UKIP have a distinctive logo beside their name on the ballot.

More seriously, RIP Bob Hoskins. I used to watch 'On the Move' as a kid.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Move_%28TV_series%29
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2m

This;ll be a deluge at exactly a week tonight - Ukip supporters claiming they were duped into voting for wrong party
    http://goo.gl/8Z2rfC

y
    Actually it will be confirmation that KIPPERS are too stupid to read a ballot paper.
    Possibly

My parents are both voting UKIP for the first time, as am I, and I am certain one of us will vote for the wrong party.. stupid old kippers
    Exactly, stupid old kippers. If people are too stupid to read a ballot paper, what does that say about their understanding of the relevant issues.

I think it would be quite an easy mistake to make, and wouldnt confuse that mistake with them being stupid at all. It would be a shame, especially as many people have very little interest in politics, arent nearly as concened as people on here, and may have been motivated to vote for UKIP having not voted for a long while.
    I'm surprised people are allowed to create such deliberately confusing party names for elections, but while I will not be joyful if it costs UKIP votes on this occasion (Although I don't intend to vote for them myself, I would be very happy if UKIP were able to rise to a position of multiple MPs and be the fourth major force in British politics in the future), there are limits to how outraged I could be about it.

If out of apathetic confusion or any other reason besides stupidity (which people cannot help) people can not even pay enough attention to avoid voting for the wrong party by mistake, it is their own damn fault and I have little sympathy about it - if they have been motivated enough to vote for the first time in a long time, or first time ever, and they are not mentally incapable, then they have to take responsibility for taking the time to notice the shadyness of AIFE'd name and position on the ballot paper.

Yes I am clearly atypical in that I am interested in politics more than most, but we should not treat people like children because they are not that interested in politics generally, and while I don't think it's right AIFE can craft a name for the sole purpose of confusion, it is right and proper that if someone is taking the responsibility to cast their vote in an election, it is upon their shoulders to be discerning about it and on their head if they didn't look at the form closely enough.
    I kind of agree, I didnt say any different. What will be will be

My only point really was I wouldnt celebrate too wildly if I were the party that won by default
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    isam
    I kind of agree, I didnt say any different. What will be will be

My only point really was I wouldnt celebrate too wildly if I were the party that won by default

On that I also agree. But then parties celebrate like demons when they win a by-election in their own heartland as though it were the biggest kick in the face of their opponents, a true signal of the country's intentions - party hacks will seize any moment to celebrate, never mind that certain factors should make them less so.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

isam said:

Perhaps a thread on this? OGH is mentioned

"After ICM’s May Polling for The Guardian Found 3 million More UKIP voters Than in April – An Industry Methodology Rethink Is In Order.

I asked seasoned commentator Mike Smithson of Politicalbetting.com over Twitter if he still thought the unprompted Telephone polls such as Ipsos Mori (showing 3% UKIP national support just before in October 2012) had UKIP’s support level right.

Ben Page, Chief Executive of Ipsos Mori, the UK’s second largest market research firm – swiftly tweeted at me to indicate that he thought indeed they had, referencing the 2010 General Election result as evidence.

It’s not 2010 any more…"

http://survation.com/icm-research-shows-ukip-support-doubling-in-29-days-another-clear-indication-polling-industry-methodology-needs-to-change/

You know that blog's a year old.

And Mike did do a thread on it last June

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/06/11/its-time-for-the-rest-of-the-polling-industry-to-follow-survation-and-treat-ukip-on-an-equal-basis/
    Oh there you go, he was write to do a blog on it!

Its not 2013 anymore...!

Did anyone change the methodology?
    Considering the standard of comprehension of the above post, I think it's a good job UKIP have a distinctive logo beside their name on the ballot.

More seriously, RIP Bob Hoskins. I used to watch 'On the Move' as a kid.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Move_%28TV_series%29
    Apologies.. Cant believe I typed "write" rather than "right"

Not to mention posting a year old link!

I blame too many cups of tea today
  • Options

Surprisingly easy to do. Even sticking mostly within one's own comfort zone, pop cultural osmosis is pretty all-encompassing.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    HYUFD said:

EU debate amongst leadership rivals for the European election, but no candidate from the Eurosceptic ECR of which the Tories are a part
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27430515

They actually disagree about things enough to hold a debate? The EU is different than I thought.

It would be funny if none of them ended up getting the job, as as much as they hope to use this to democratize the EU (EU federalists, maybe it should have been a bit more democratic at the start, if that's where you wanted to end up, hmm), like it says in the article the powers that be don't have to choose one of them.

Funniest bit to me has to be:

The BBC's Simon Wilson, reporting from the European Parliament venue, says Mr Verhofstadt was "the most animated - even when not speaking", while Mr Schulz had a good position in the middle, which "helped him look presidential".

I honestly cannot tell from that alone whether it might possibly mean his political positions during it were in the middle, or if it is just as it seems, that his literal position in the middle helped him look presidential.

If the most noteworthy thing about the man is that he got the coverted centre spot, gods help him.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    On Wednesday we ("we" being about 20 members of the Conservative Party in Croydon) went on a walkabout with Boris. I noticed that he walked fairly briskly past this person and didn't risk an awkward photobombclashfluff situation:

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/853021529.jpg?1400163072
  • Options
    An incredibly stupid idiot openly flaunts his stupidity and stupidly admits to being so stupid that he (a) thinks that 15 equals "about 20", (b) didn't bother to read the ballot paper like all normal people always do, (c) doesn't understand the idea of alphabetical order and doesn't realise that U comes towards the end of the alphabet, yet stupidly wants to boast about his stupidity instead of hanging his head in shame and hiding in a cupboard for the next 47 years:

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/localnews/highwycombe/11212856.UKIP_supporter__duped__into_voting_for_rival_party/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    Nige and nathalie on This Week
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Farage predicting 1 or 2 UKIP seats in Scotland next week...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Nigel Farage on This Week — "absolutely certain of winning at least one seat in Scotland in the Euro elections".
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

On Wednesday we ("we" being about 20 members of the Conservative Party in Croydon) went on a walkabout with Boris. I noticed that he walked fairly briskly past this person and didn't risk an awkward photobombclashfluff situation:

Do you think the Tories have a good chance of keeping control of Croydon council next Thursday?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Private polling or hope. What are the odds of UKIP winning a Scottish seat ?
  • Options
    BBC still harping on about a forgotten nonentity who left UKIP....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

There was a poll a couple of weeks ago putting the Tories on 11% and UKIP on 10%, so certainly a good chance of one seat. Two seats is a bit far-fetched.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    I've now finished the first 4 episodes of Game of Thrones, and it looks good. Saturday I should get the next 3 dvds.

So I'm back to watching one of my all time favorites - Alistair Cooke's America.
  • Options
    Aussie bint losing it...

Farage "if you understand basic arithmetic..."
  • Options
    Over half the public, 54%, now wants to stay in the EU according to new poll, with only 4% certain to vote UKIP at the general election
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2629390/Over-half-public-want-stay-EU-just-FOUR-cent-voters-say-definitely-Ukip-general-election.html
  • Options
    What's this "K" word ?
  • Options
    Kraut ?
  • Options
    kle4/Isam As the elections are under PR the vote will be difficult to split, An Independence from Europe could actually win a handful of seats
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4/Isam As the elections are under PR the vote will be difficult to split, An Independence from Europe could actually win a handful of seats

Good for them if they manage it.

Night all.
  • Options
    BBC continuing with its ethnic obsessions.

Why does anyone pay the licence? I don't, never have, never will for this shit...
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    edited May 2014
    This is a classic. See it while you can.

The Guardian has story of Catholic Ukipper criticising Islam...above story about Boko Haram!

theguardian.com/uk
  • Options
    kle4 Indeed, looked like a cure from insomnia, though the Green leader apparently did well. ECR is actually slightly outpolling the Greens on 5.6% to their 5.3% on the latest pan EU poll
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Pulpstar said:

What's this "K" word ?

For your education only: in America Kike was the word to demean jews.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

2/1 with Lads.

• Options
    kle4 Indeed, will be interesting, Night
  • Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/15/renewable-energy-horrors-coal-extraction-turkish-mine-disaster dramatic title, and an anti-coal piece but the gas/nuclear case is put forward well as a middle ground on energy.
  • Options
    When Fukushima occured and Germany announced it was shutting down all it's nuclear I said to myself that their knee jerk reaction would end in tears, and so it seems it has.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Do you think the Tories have a good chance of keeping control of Croydon council next Thursday?

I'm not allowed to say or hint any clues or suggestions about what I think the result might be, because I've already observed (as of yesterday) the processing of some of the postal votes.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    (FPT)
    ToryJim said:

Very few people have read Das Kapital or Mein Kampf. I have never fully read either, getting bored about half way through each.

I have read Mein Kampf. It is incredibly boring, and rather badly written. For a lot of it, I actually read it out loud to myself, standing up, with the book supported as if on a podium. It occurred to me that the reason it's so badly written is that it wasn't "written" at all; it was spoken. Hitler ranted it as a stream of consciousness, as he often did later with his improvised speeches, and his words were written down by Rudolf Hess (presumably in shorthand originally) as a written text.
  • Options
    UKPR' s forecast last week of a 32 seat Labour majority has now gone entirely - bring on Stephen Fisher's latest projection!
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    JohnLoony said:

From the photo it appears that a fake mickey mouse is hailing boris with a roman or nazi salute..
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,801

The case for HS2 is simple, the tracks, not the seats, on the WCML are full.

This means that services cannot be added to line, be that passenger services http://railnews.mobi/news/2013/07/31-orr-refuses-virgin-bid-for.html or freight services despite companies such as Virgin wishing to add new services.

This clearly holds back the economy if you restricted in ability move goods and people.

As places such as Milton Keynes grows and the demand from places grows then problem worsens.

The track capacity issue is primarily caused by the mixing of freight, commuter and intercity with different acceleration and top speed characteristics, desperate away the intercity services from the WCML to HS2 and create a load of new capacity on the old network for commuter services and freight to more efficiently use the line and move the intercity into new tracks, as happens in much of the rest of the planet.

Oh, the expected total cost for London Manchester and Leeds via Birmingham actually £28bn with £14bn of contingency lets not get carried away the exaggeration.

• Options

UKPR' s forecast last week of a 32 seat Labour majority has now gone entirely - bring on Stephen Fisher's latest projection!

Fisher is tracking L&N quite nicely... (^_-)

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    HYUFD said:

EU debate amongst leadership rivals for the European election, but no candidate from the Eurosceptic ECR of which the Tories are a part
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27430515

This is from a couple of weeks back - there was masses of coverage in the European press, except for the British press that ignored it, presumably because "Our readers aren't interested in Euripe" (b) there aren't any Brits standing (c) Nobody was weird or took their clothes off.

I summarised the comments here at the time, but briefly:

- The ECR decided they weren't going to stand, though they refused to endorse the Christian Democrat. Similarly, Labour refused to endorse the Social Democrat, though both are expected to fall into line in the end.
    - The standard of debate was seen as impressive, not least as everyone debated in English, which wasn't the mother tongue of any of them. If was later dubbed into six languages for other viewers.
    - The Christian Democrat was seen as very much the status quo man, solid but grey.
    - The Socialist was idealistic, keen on the environment and confronting vested interests but vague in detail
    - The Liberal won the voodoo poll after the debate hands down - he was strongly pro-integration
    - The Green won praise even from the Fankfurter Allgemieine as young, sparkling and full of ideas.
    - The far-left Syriza candidate was criticised for failing to turn up at all.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    Sorry, HYUFD - this was a new and final debate which I missed - my summary relates to the previous one. Haven't had time to watch it or scan the press yet.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

The last polls have UKIP on 10% in Scotland, and 20% in Wales. Perhaps Mr Farage is suggesting that if their performance in Scotland matches their (predicted) performance in Wales, they will win two seats?

One scottish seat is certainly possible on current polling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)#Scottish_polls
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,133

Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

The last polls have UKIP on 10% in Scotland, and 20% in Wales. Perhaps Mr Farage is suggesting that if their performance in Scotland matches their (predicted) performance in Wales, they will win two seats?

One scottish seat is certainly possible on current polling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)#Scottish_polls
    Maybe based on one poll, but if you go by any previous real votes they get less than 1% so whether you believe one poll or all previous real votes is down to whether you are all there.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014
    [deleted]
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014
    [deleted]
This discussion has been closed.