Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling analysis: The big driver of Labour’s decline has no

Comments

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,430
    philiph said:

Are jobs that depend on being'self employed'real jobs ? They obviously remove people from the unemployment list but many are not sustainable.I wish that there was a real recovery but only the top 1% are better off.

No, self employment is never a real job.
    It is the top 0.5% that get all the benefit, get real.
    Delusional.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    "The big driver of Labour’s decline has not been been a move to CON but to don’t know"

That makes sense. So the question becomes will they fall back or take the plunge?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    ToryJim said:

Delusional.

I rather think the excellent philiph is being sarcastic.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    MrJones said:

"The big driver of Labour’s decline has not been been a move to CON but to don’t know"

That makes sense. So the question becomes will they fall back or take the plunge?

Fall back.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics now

YouGov/Sun poll for GE2015 - Labour lead by three points: CON 32%, LAB 35%, LD 10%, UKIP 13%

Like I said earlier daily polls should be scrapped after the next election. They are an utter nonsense.
    Would you ban them, do you think they're bad business for those commissioning them or do you think they're misleading for those reading and interpreting them?

Personally, I think the daily polls are a great data mine and a huge benefit to watchers of politics. It's not so much the daily movement that matters; it's that over the course of a month or so, you can separate out the wheat from the chaff - the rogue polls and ephemeral blips - in a way that you can't anywhere near as easily in monthly surveys.
    I wouldn't ban them, I just think it boils politics down to who is up or down which is crap. Everything is seen through the prism of whether it will lead to a poll bounce or not. I just think fewer polls might make analysis a bit better and more focused on the merits of the announcement etc rather than it's potential to shift a poll figure. I appreciate your point about data but politics are about principals and policies not an exercise in statistical analysis.
    When you have to run a site like PB, the daily poll is great.

When you're struggling with something to write for a thread, there's something in YouGov you can use for a thread.
    Hmm polls shouldn't be there just as a get out for your lack of imagination ;)
    Honestly, I admire Mike's ability to write two/three threads a day for 10 years plus.

I do it for about 6 weeks a year, in 2 week bursts and it leaves me knackered and drained.
    Yeah, but there is always an Ed is crap thread to fall back on ;)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

ToryJim said:

Delusional.

Would I do that?

And thanks for the excellent badge!
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Delusional.

Ah, oops.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

YouGov/Sun poll for GE2015 - Labour lead by three points: CON 32%, LAB 35%, LD 10%, UKIP 13%

Like I said earlier daily polls should be scrapped after the next election. They are an utter nonsense.
    Would you ban them, do you think they're bad business for those commissioning them or do you think they're misleading for those reading and interpreting them?

Personally, I think the daily polls are a great data mine and a huge benefit to watchers of politics. It's not so much the daily movement that matters; it's that over the course of a month or so, you can separate out the wheat from the chaff - the rogue polls and ephemeral blips - in a way that you can't anywhere near as easily in monthly surveys.
    I wouldn't ban them, I just think it boils politics down to who is up or down which is crap. Everything is seen through the prism of whether it will lead to a poll bounce or not. I just think fewer polls might make analysis a bit better and more focused on the merits of the announcement etc rather than it's potential to shift a poll figure. I appreciate your point about data but politics are about principals and policies not an exercise in statistical analysis.

When you're struggling with something to write for a thread, there's something in YouGov you can use for a thread.
    Honestly, I admire Mike's ability to write two/three threads a day for 10 years plus.

I do it for about 6 weeks a year, in 2 week bursts and it leaves me knackered and drained.
    Of there's 14 of them daily from Dan Hodges ;)
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Delusional.

Ah, oops.
    No problem from me, I'm sure I've had worse than delusional thrown at me!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

The electorate is in a febrile mood and has NO FUCKING CLUE what it wants !

Both EP 2014 and GE 2015 look likely to be a case of "The people have spoken. What did they say?". Although a UKIP win in 2014 would be a fairly clear message that people dislike immigrants and politicians even more than usual.
    A clearer message that they want to leave the EU.
    I'm not so sure, the result of a hypothetical referendum has if anything slightly improved as UKIP have risen in the polls over the few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_referendum_on_United_Kingdom_membership_of_the_European_Union#Standard_polling_on_EU_membership
    UKIP's founding purpose was to get the UK out of the EU. If they win the EU Parliament elections, that is a clear vote for leaving the EU.
    What they're founders want and what their voters want aren't necessarily the same thing.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Both EP 2014 and GE 2015 look likely to be a case of "The people have spoken. What did they say?". Although a UKIP win in 2014 would be a fairly clear message that people dislike immigrants and politicians even more than usual.
    I'm not so sure, the result of a hypothetical referendum has if anything slightly improved as UKIP have risen in the polls over the few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_referendum_on_United_Kingdom_membership_of_the_European_Union#Standard_polling_on_EU_membership
    UKIP's founding purpose was to get the UK out of the EU. If they win the EU Parliament elections, that is a clear vote for leaving the EU.
    If they win the Euros on 25% is that a clear vote to leave the EU?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,539

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

I have three of those in the pipeline.

In one, I even compare Ed to Hannibal.
  • Options

Are jobs that depend on being'self employed'real jobs ? They obviously remove people from the unemployment list but many are not sustainable.I wish that there was a real recovery but only the top 1% are better off.

Self-employed used to be some of the best jobs. Not now obviously.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281

Self employment like most things factors in supply and demand. The explosion in self employment (this generation's Incapacity Benefit - call yourself this, here's your benefits payment not called unemployment) creates supply of services of some description, but with economic growth not impacting most people there isn't the cash demand to pay for the services being offered.

I know several people who have officially become self employed over the last couple of years having failed to find a job (and here on Teesside the applicant per job rate is still 600). The best any of them are managing is 10 hours a week of actual paid work, none of them consider their "business" to be viable, but its the only way to stay sane and keep the DWP stazi off your back.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @roserees64
    Of course self employment is a real job, a friend has recently taken delivery of a new small van and an increase in wages.
    Unfortunately you sometimes have to work, but as you are your own CEO, time management, fiscal arrangements, and creative accountancy mean that a lot of the duller stuff can be avoided,
    All this with the governments blessing, and tax payers money. Just like the real thing but on a smaller scale.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

'Although a UKIP win in 2014 would be a fairly clear message that people dislike immigrants'

You really believe this ?

'that people dislike immigrants even more than usual'

I do believe that, yes. Perhaps I'd phrase it as immigration instead of immigrants personally, but the public have always believed immigration was too high (going back decades) and the salience of this issue is at pretty much record highs (unlike EU salience, btw). So I do believe the rise of UKIP both correlates and is linked with the rise of anti-immigration sentiment.
    Your forgetting the rise of the EU state,that gave birth to ukip.

The EU gave birth to UKIP, but it has recently gone through puberty due to things which aren't primarily EU-focused. It's voter base is all eurosceptics, but not all about euroscepticism - increasingly not so, indeed.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Neil said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

On 25% - It's a clear vote that the other parties are crap ;-)

• Options
    edited May 2014
    kle4 said:

MrJones said:

Fall back.
    that is the most likely, 70:30 maybe
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

You could do a cheekily ironic one of suggesting campaign songs for the three parties ;)

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Betfair maj

Lab 2.92
    Con 3.85

crossover on the horizon?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

'Although a UKIP win in 2014 would be a fairly clear message that people dislike immigrants'

I do believe that, yes. Perhaps I'd phrase it as immigration instead of immigrants personally, but the public have always believed immigration was too high (going back decades) and the salience of this issue is at pretty much record highs (unlike EU salience, btw). So I do believe the rise of UKIP both correlates and is linked with the rise of anti-immigration sentiment.

The EU gave birth to UKIP, but it has recently gone through puberty due to things which aren't primarily EU-focused. It's voter base is all eurosceptics, but not all about euroscepticism - increasingly not so, indeed.
    I wouldn't be certain that all UKIP voters are eurosceptic given the party is essentially the stop the world I want to get off party.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't be certain that all UKIP voters are eurosceptic given the party is essentially the stop the world I want to get off party.
    I can't remember the details, but research in Revolt on the Right and at EPOP 2013 had a fairly clear message that being eurosceptic was still a necessary (if not sufficient) condition of UKIP support in the main. I appreciate that's not a particularly good answer in terms of convincing anyone else.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

You could do a cheekily ironic one of suggesting campaign songs for the three parties ;)

That's one of my emergency "I'm busy at work and need to publish a pre-prepared* thread"

*I'm on a mission to wind up Morris Dancer today
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

That's one of my emergency "I'm busy at work and need to publish a pre-prepared* thread"

That could be the must have Christmas toy 2014, a wind up Morris Dancer!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2014
    RodCrosby said:

Betfair maj

Lab 2.92
    Con 3.85

Dunno, but it makes the 4.5 on Con retaining Broxtowe, or the 6.0 on Sherwood, look pretty silly. It's hard to see how Con Maj 3.85 (or even the 4.0 from Ladbrokes) is compatible with the constituency bets.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I wouldn't be certain that all tory voters are eurosceptic given the party is essentially the stop the world I want to get off party

Corrected it for you ;-)
  • Options
    philiph said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

*Cough* Sir Thomas Beecham *Cough*
  • Options
    philiph said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Complete with enormo-haddock accessory.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

kle4 said:

MrJones said:

Fall back.
    that is the most likely, 70:30 maybe
    Actually, need to add "don't vote" to the options so i guess maybe: fall back / don't vote / take the plunge might be 30 / 40 / 30 or the vicinity.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

This Bloomberg story on the unpublished poll is astonishing.

In what way?

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2014
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

What they're founders want and what their voters want aren't necessarily the same thing.
    These are the EU Parliament elections. The campaign began with two hour long televised debates on the merits of EU membership. Both those debates were won by UKIP/Mr Farage.

UKIP's message has consistently been that the UK would be better off outside the EU. On 22nd May those choosing to vote for UKIP will be agreeing with that aim.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

*Cough* Sir Thomas Beecham *Cough*

This Sir Thomas?

During a rehearsal, conductor Sir Thomas Beecham, who died 40 years ago, thought that his female soloist was playing less than adequately on her fine Italian cello. He stopped the orchestra and declared: "Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!" Once he described the sound of the harpsichord as "two skeletons copulating on a tin roof"; on another occasion he declared that "the British may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes".

But I'm too dumb to get the connection.
  • Options
    Unionists feed on Salmond’s gaffes
    .....pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine are now looking to Scotland for support.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f25a9160-db82-11e3-a460-00144feabdc0.html#axzz31jQQFUEQ

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

In what way?

In that it is the only poll the Nats are paying attention to.

Last gasp of a desperate rabble.
  • Options
    @philiph

When Sir Thomas Beecham said "in this life try everything once, except incest and morris dancing" he may have inadvertently hit on something

Yes, that Sir Thomas Beecham

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/emmahartley/8218867/Morris_dancing_is_less_sexy_than_incest/
  • Options

@philiph

When Sir Thomas Beecham said "in this life try everything once, except incest and morris dancing" he may have inadvertently hit on something

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/emmahartley/8218867/Morris_dancing_is_less_sexy_than_incest/

Thanks for the education. He obviously enjoyed having his words remembered!
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

These are the EU Parliament elections. The campaign began with two hour long debates on the merits of EU membership. Both those debates were won by UKIP/Mr Farage.

UKIP's message has consistently been that the UK would be better off outside the EU. On 22nd May those choosing to vote for UKIP will be agreeing with that aim.
    The polls would have said Farage had won if they'd both stood there in silence like Trappist monks. The debates weren't designed to be illuminating for the public or edifying for the participants.

• Options

.....pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine are now looking to Scotland for support.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f25a9160-db82-11e3-a460-00144feabdc0.html#axzz31jQQFUEQ

Could this be a gaffe by Osborne,telling scot's more doom and gloom if you vote yes.

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick

Thursday's Scotsman front page - "Osborne: ‘Yes’ vote would kill off Scottish banknotes" #tomorrowspaperstoday pic.twitter.com/EwRmywO2Bq

• Options
    philiph said:

@philiph

Thanks for the education. He obviously enjoyed having his words remembered!
    My pleasure, I love educating PBers.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

These are the EU Parliament elections. The campaign began with two hour long televised debates on the merits of EU membership. Both those debates were won by UKIP/Mr Farage.

Midterm elections are classic protest vote times, and UKIP's surge since 2010 has clearly been fed by becoming the protest vote party.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

In what way?

In that it is the only poll the Nats are paying attention to.

Last gasp of a desperate rabble.
    I expect they'll complain if HMG spends money denying access to something that does exist when they spend money denying access to something that doesn't exist.....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A potentially dangerous situation for Labour in Great Grimsby if the current controversy ends with Austin Mitchell resigning as an MP before the general election.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

I've always thought of him as more Murdoch, the crazy, wacky one. Cameron obviously Face given his smug self-satisfaction. But perhaps Ed is the man with a plan, he'll be there on election night with a cigar in his mouth chewing the scenery.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

A potentially dangerous situation for Labour in Great Grimsby if the current controversy ends with Austin Mitchell resigning as an MP before the general election.

It wont

• Options

Could this be a gaffe by Osborne,telling scot's more doom and gloom if you vote yes.
    Its a sorry state of affairs when 'telling the truth' counts as a 'gaffe'.....although it has long been the case that 'words are twisted by knaves to make traps for fools'.....

.....On what planet is the BoE going to stand behind notes issued by the banks of a foreign country?

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,103

RodCrosby said:

Betfair maj

Lab 2.92
    Con 3.85

Dunno, but it makes the 4.5 on Con retaining Broxtowe, or the 6.0 on Sherwood, look pretty silly. It's hard to see how Con Maj 3.85 (or even the 4.0 from Ladbrokes) is compatible with the constituency bets.
    That's very good odds on Sherwood.

The Labour vote there is very traditional wwc whereas much of the Conservative vote is affluent commuter.

Its the sort of constituency where UKIP will hurt Labour more than the Conservatives.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

I've always thought of him as more Murdoch, the crazy, wacky one. Cameron obviously Face given his smug self-satisfaction. But perhaps Ed is the man with a plan, he'll be there on election night with a cigar in his mouth chewing the scenery.
    Different Hannibal, but on the A-Team

Templeton Peck = Ed Balls
    BA = John Prescott
    Murdoch = Gordon Brown

But even this Hannibal was crap, like his namesake, spent over a decade being rubbish and blamed for a crime he didn't commit.

But who will be Hunt Stockwell?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,961
    If Cameron wins a majority, holds a referendum, we leave the EU... What would the conservative immigration policy be?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    philiph said:

This Sir Thomas?

During a rehearsal, conductor Sir Thomas Beecham, who died 40 years ago, thought that his female soloist was playing less than adequately on her fine Italian cello. He stopped the orchestra and declared: "Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!" Once he described the sound of the harpsichord as "two skeletons copulating on a tin roof"; on another occasion he declared that "the British may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes".

But I'm too dumb to get the connection.

Ah, Scouse humour... the best...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    isam said:

If Cameron wins a majority, holds a referendum, we leave the EU... What would the conservative immigration policy be?

Anyone 7 out of 10 or hotter gets in.
  • Options

Its a sorry state of affairs when 'telling the truth' counts as a 'gaffe'.....although it has long been the case that 'words are twisted by knaves to make traps for fools'.....

.....On what planet is the BoE going to stand behind notes issued by the banks of a foreign country?

It's a gaffe because of yet another no campaign attack is negative and who it came from, a tory toff osborne ,as seen in many Scottish eye's ;-)

• Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

n't anywhere near as easily in monthly surveys.
    's potential to shift a poll figure. I appreciate your point about data but politics are about principals and policies not an exercise in statistical analysis.

BA = John Prescott
    Murdoch = Gordon Brown

But even this Hannibal was crap, like his namesake, spent over a decade being rubbish and blamed for a crime he didn't commit.

You're comparing him to Hannibal Lector? Bit harsh, no?
  • Options

It's a gaffe because of yet another no campaign attack is negative and who it came from, a tory toff osborne ,as seen in many Scottish eye's ;-)

You appear to share the SNP's belief that Scottish voters can't see beyond 'Tory Toff' to their own economic self interest.

I don't.

We'll find out soon enough.

• Options

It's not an attack, it's a statement of what the situation will be if Scotland seceded. He is the Chancellor and just because certain Scots are snippy about where he was born they cannot alter the fact that for the moment he speaks on economic matters for the United Kingdom.
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

Anyone 7 out of 10 or hotter gets in.
    7 out of 10 (5 for Wimmin) is Labour Policy, surely?

I'd have thought the Tories were 8+, especially for blondes......
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

's potential to shift a poll figure. I appreciate your point about data but politics are about principals and policies not an exercise in statistical analysis.

BA = John Prescott
    Murdoch = Gordon Brown

If Ed Miliband was a cannibal he'd be caught chewing his own leg off.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

BA = John Prescott
    Murdoch = Gordon Brown

No, Hannibal son of Barca, the most over-rated military strategist in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal
  • Options
    Scientist who changed his mind about climate change bullied by ex colleagues

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/14/Climate-Science-Defector-Forced-to-Resign-by-Alarmist-Fatwa
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

It's not an attack, it's a statement of what the situation will be if Scotland seceded. He is the Chancellor and just because certain Scots are snippy about where he was born they cannot alter the fact that for the moment he speaks on economic matters for the United Kingdom.
    Just watch the yes campaign,turn it around of yet another attack on Scotland and it usually works when the person telling come's from someone in the tory party.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232

In what way?

You'd need to ask the Scottish Sun's political correspondent that.
  • Options
    My old music teacher at school, Eugene Genin MBE, used to bawl at us through our practising:- "Start together! Keep together! Finish together!", his voice rising in frustration over the cacophony...

I now know where he got it from. Ex lead-violist in the RLPO, he was conducted on numerous occasions by Beecham.

'Bubble', as we called him (he was so rotund he looked like one of the Mister Men), carried on teaching until he was almost 80. He was so old, he used to tell us about playing in the old Philharmonic Hall, which burned down in 1933!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    isam said:

To be fair that is rather a case of who cares.

The important point would be that we would be outside the EU and therefore able to set our own immigration policy. The whole debate could then begin between the various points of view with the knowledge that whichever party won would actually be able to implement their policy.

Personally I have no idea who I would support at that point (I suspect probably not the same person you would) but at least the decisions would be in the hands of our elected representatives not the EU.
  • Options
    Oh, this is the poll the Nats were excited about?

John Curtice:

The latest monthly poll fromTNS BMRB, published today, adds to the impression that, while far from being reversed, the progress made by the Yes side during the winter has not continued apace in the spring.......

Once the Don’t Knows are excluded from the calculation, Yes stand at 41% and No on 59%, .....the Yes tally in TNS BMRB’s poll has been stuck consistently at 40-41% ever since January. There is little sign here of the continuing momentum that the Yes side would still seem to need.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/05/tns-bmrb-continue-to-show-an-unchanging-picture/
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

BA = John Prescott
    Murdoch = Gordon Brown

No, Hannibal son of Barca, the most over-rated military strategist in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal
    Ah right.
  • Options

John Curtice:

The latest monthly poll fromTNS BMRB, published today, adds to the impression that, while far from being reversed, the progress made by the Yes side during the winter has not continued apace in the spring.......

Once the Don’t Knows are excluded from the calculation, Yes stand at 41% and No on 59%, .....the Yes tally in TNS BMRB’s poll has been stuck consistently at 40-41% ever since January. There is little sign here of the continuing momentum that the Yes side would still seem to need.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/05/tns-bmrb-continue-to-show-an-unchanging-picture/

I suspect they will have suddenly lost interest
  • Options
    Downthread, I made a slightly ironic comment about ways to make "self employment" work, however a funnier example just occurred to me.
    (this was years ago, so no political point to it)
    A couple of lads up in the West Coast managed to get a grant to start up a small marine farming business.Along with the usual benefits that accrue from these schemes, these enterprising gentlemen obtained a flat bottomed work boat of an interesting design, and had it equipped with a pair of enormous long shaft mercury outboards fitted with "kickers" ( a device that flips the outboards clear of the water but keeps them idling till the obstruction is cleared)
    Now I know some on here are not overly imaginative, but the majority will like me. puzzle over why anyone would need the equivalent of a "sea tractor" that could outrun anything seaborne over the shallows and reefs of the local area (the marine farm was at the head of a deep loch, so the fittings were a slight overkill for the farm)
    Send your best guesses to the coastguard or HM customs. ;-)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What's he done ?

Rather oddly I've just seen an actor being a 1970s Austin Mitchell on 'That Damned United'.

The film about the bloke who wasn't fit to wipe Bob Paisley's boots.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

isam said:

The important point would be that we would be outside the EU and therefore able to set our own immigration policy. The whole debate could then begin between the various points of view with the knowledge that whichever party won would actually be able to implement their policy.

Personally I have no idea who I would support at that point (I suspect probably not the same person you would) but at least the decisions would be in the hands of our elected representatives not the EU.
    That is true only if we leave the EU, and decline to join the EEA. If we join the EEA we have to accept unlimited immigration from the EU, just as Norway and Switzerland so.

• Options

AndyJS said:

What's he done ?

Rather oddly I've just seen an actor being a 1970s Austin Mitchell on 'That Damned United'.

He used the word 'rapist' about Pfizer. A number of Tory women took exception and it went from there
  • Options

AndyJS said:

What's he done ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27411712
  • Options
    Connected to the Sherwood constituency betting is this interesting little factoid mentioned by Jeremy Warner in the Telegraph:

" twice as many houses were built in Doncaster and Barnsley, where prices have been falling steeply, in the five years to 2013 than in Oxford and Cambridge, where prices are rising strongly "

What the metropolitan media wouldn't realise is that Doncaster and Barnsley are excellent places to build houses - lots of spare land, cheap land prices and excellent transport links.

Similarly are many places in the old mining areas of the midlands and Yorkshire.

The electoral consequence of this is that such areas are demographically drifting Conservative.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    ToryJim said:

AndyJS said:

What's he done ?

He used the word 'rapist' about Pfizer. A number of Tory women took exception and it went from there
    "

The wanton destruction or spoiling of a place: the rape of the countryside

Origin

late Middle English (originally denoting violent seizure of property, later carrying off a woman by force): from Anglo-Norman French rap (noun), raper (verb), from Latin rapere 'seize'.

"

A perfectly correct use of a fine old word. Just like "Gay" meaning happy and joyous...

People are rather sensitive these days.

An old friend (sadly now passed away) who knew about such things told me that taboo words, or words with heavy meaning often get weaker by their usage.

For example "Starve" simply used to mean "to die" but became more specifically about dying of hunger, until eventually, now simply fancying a sandwich.

Isn't language awesome?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

What's he done ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27411712
    My sympathy is with Mitchell rather than Morgan.

And Claire Perry yet again proves what a moron she is:

"Honey I was a feminist while you were in nappies. Now woman up and get your dinosaur colleague to apologise."
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552

John Curtice:

No. It's another poll supposedly by IPSOS Mori.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

The SNP MP on the Committee where Osborne was giving evidence,

SNP MP Eilidh Whiteford did not bother to attend the Committee Meeting Osborne presented his evidence to......

• Options
    @dugarbandier

It all must be a tad confusing for rape seed farmers?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited May 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

That is true only if we leave the EU, and decline to join the EEA. If we join the EEA we have to accept unlimited immigration from the EU, just as Norway and Switzerland so.

I was ignoring the EEA/EFTA position for the sake of making a point to Sam about the redundancy of his question.

That said you are wrong about the position of Switzerland since they can (and have) put limits on EU migration. They are not members of the EEA.
  • Options

John Curtice:

No. It's another poll supposedly by IPSOS Mori.
    Oh....the confidential poll never intended for publication.....well, at least if HMG defends not publishing it, as least we can be reasonably confident it exists....unlike the SNP's legal advice on the EU......
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    edited May 2014
    Hm
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    Hmm... What to do - for a good while this position was dire but its improved recently...

Euro betting...

UKIP-Lab-Con + 22.69
    UKIP-Con-Lab + 327.69
    Lab - X - X - 39.82
    Con - X - X +353.18

Labour London Region: £69.09 @ 11-10.
    UKIP + 26.5 £ 10 @ 5-6
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    Oh....the confidential poll never intended for publication.....well, at least if HMG defends not publishing it, as least we can be reasonably confident it exists....unlike the SNP's legal advice on the EU......

Calm down, I only pointed out it was another poll.
    Never mind, Dave will soon be up to win the day.
  • Options
    If Labour win the London bet comes in - though tbh it probably comes in no matter what... But definitely if Labour win.

The UKIP +/- bet I think lands no matter who wins too.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

I was ignoring the EEA/EFTA position for the sake of making a point to Sam about the redundancy of his question.

That said you are wrong about the position of Switzerland since they can (and have) put limits on EU migration. They are not members of the EEA.
    It may be redundant to you as your goal is simply to leave the EU and you don't trust Cameron

To people that intend to vote ukip because they want to end open door immigration it would be worth knowing what Cameron would do we're we to leave the EU

If he adopted a points system for all immigrants it might win him ukip votes

If he were to keep the current system it may not

• Options
    Oh If the Lib Dems win I'm stuck £270 ^_~
  • Options
    Stephen Sutton's fundraising page:

https://www.justgiving.com/stephen-sutton-tct
  • Options
    Neil said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Is that even possible ?

UKIP 25
    Lab 24
    Con 24
    Lib Dem 10
    Green 9
    AIFE 1.5
    SNP/BNP/Plaid etc 6.5 ...
  • Options
    Possible but unlikely.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

That can't be right. I'm reliably informed that the 2 polls showing a Tory lead was because of the magnificence and economic prowess of Osborne and his economic miracle for all. This suggests that the Tories haven't moved a jot and instead we've seen some Labour voters get a smidge uncertain.

Or in summary, the Tories have done literally nothing to persuade the great unwashed up here in the desolate north to vote for them. Just 1 in 8 think there is any recovery. And media focus on an election platform (the Greens, UKIP) boosts votes, so you imagine that some wavering Labour voters will waver a little less once we have had plenty of meat on the bones from this year's conference onwards.

Or, as I put it on the thread earlier, PB Tories have decided that this week's sudden mass swing not to their party is proof that there will be no more swings of any description in the next year because they have already won.....

Plenty of time for that to change. In the interim, Labour's YouGov average this month is around 36%. In April it was over 37%; in January, it was 38.7%; last May (despite the UKIP surge), it was 39.2%; last January, it was 42.6%; in May 2012, it was 43.4%.

Yes, the Tories have something of a problem picking up votes but do you not think Labour has a problem too?
    Yes. As I said the other day, UKIP have been gnawing at traditional Labour working-class votes (they've not had a significant impact on Labour middle-class votes, which are crucial in e.g. Broxtowe's Labour vote but it's very different in some Northern seats). In general I think the underlying position is still that Labour is slightly ahead on forced choice in a pretty stable way, but UKIP is hurting both parties in a way that varies from day to day. It's very hard to predict, but laying whatever result a current poll shows may be a good betting tactic, especially for the Euros.
  • Options
    Bangkok — 2 killed, 22 injured in attack on protest camp:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27419558
  • Options
    "A ruling forcing Google to remove search results has been described as "astonishing" by Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales.

The European Courts of Justice ruled on Tuesday that an individual could demand that "irrelevant or outdated" information be deleted from results.

Mr Wales said it was "one of the most wide-sweeping internet censorship rulings that I've ever seen"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27407017
  • Options
    http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/07/why-up-to-90-of-asian-schoolchildren-are-nearsighted/

Up to 90% of east asian school kids short-sighted. Lack of sunlight apparently.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    MrJones said:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/07/why-up-to-90-of-asian-schoolchildren-are-nearsighted/

Up to 90% of east asian school kids short-sighted. Lack of sunlight apparently.

Computers and video games rather than staying in to do homework would be my guess. It would be interesting to see how far these high rates go back.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    25% for the kippers is not a vote to leave the EU. Even the aggregate vote of all the anti EU parties would come to 30% or less.

MEPs also have no power to get the UK to leave, that is rightly the perogative of the Westminster parliament. All a UKIP MEP achieves is more of a gravy train for Farages mates if yesterdays cash for selections story contains the truth.
    Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Is that even possible ?

UKIP 25
    Lab 24
    Con 24
    Lib Dem 10
    Green 9
    AIFE 1.5
    SNP/BNP/Plaid etc 6.5 ...
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557

The Green surge is looking more solid by the hour.

They got 8% at the last Euros so it shouldn't be too surprising. Given what's happened to the Lib Dems they should be aiming for 10+.
    Agreed.

This GRN price looks very tempting:

Ladbrokes - Euros - GB Vote Share Match Bet

Lib Dems 1/2
    Greens 6/4
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I do not think those particularly attractive odds on either side.

Though it would make an interesting bloc of UK MEPs: the climate change sceptics and the climate change true-believers. I suspect that the Green MEPs would be more likely to turn up and vote, and also initiate new environmental legislation.

The Green surge is looking more solid by the hour.

They got 8% at the last Euros so it shouldn't be too surprising. Given what's happened to the Lib Dems they should be aiming for 10+.
    Agreed.

This GRN price looks very tempting:

Ladbrokes - Euros - GB Vote Share Match Bet

Lib Dems 1/2
    Greens 6/4
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    ToryJim said:

Not true.

His disasterous Aberdeen trip utterly destroyed any pretence that he was "speaking on economic matters for the United Kingdom". He made it crystal clear that he is speaking on economic matters for the rUK.

One of the most stunning own goals in recent UK politics.

Cameron and Osborne have already given up on the Union. They are solely addressing their own base. Very few here at PB can see what is happening. Long may that continue.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760

ToryJim said:

Not true.

His disasterous Aberdeen trip utterly destroyed any pretence that he was "speaking on economic matters for the United Kingdom". He made it crystal clear that he is speaking on economic matters for the rUK.

One of the most stunning own goals in recent UK politics.

Cameron and Osborne have already given up on the Union. They are solely addressing their own base. Very few here at PB can see what is happening. Long may that continue.
    Ah yes, the eternal doing Scotland down story.

What are you pushing today Stuart ?

- Osborne threatening Scotland , he'll rue the day
    - Evil George Catbert deliberately pushing Scotland out of UK to establish eternal Tory hegemony in England.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The paucity of the Nat claims is evident when you try and ponder any alternatives.

The chancellor of the UK makes a speech saying I am happy to share the currency with a foreign nation...

It's not credible.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    Scott_P said:

The paucity of the Nat claims is evident when you try and ponder any alternatives.

The chancellor of the UK makes a speech saying I am happy to share the currency with a foreign nation...

It's not credible.
    Childishly farcical.

Cameron won't go to Scotland and it's we demand the PM why's he frit.

Cameron comes to Scotland and it's who's he to come here and tell us what to do.

Too stupid - it's the killer every time.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    YouGov

Best PM:
    DC: 36(+1)
    EdM: 19(-2)

DC has support of Cons:95; LAB:6; LD:25; UKIP:29
    EdM has support of Cons:0; LAB:58; LD:6; UKIP:6

For 2010 VI the figures are:
    DC has support of Cons:74; LAB:11; LD:23
    EdM has support of Cons:3; LAB:46; LD:18

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/drt1d0irmj/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-140514.pdf

YouGov: tracker

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/05/14/economy-no-longer-number-one-issue/
This discussion has been closed.