Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember that even Tony Blair with all his magic was never

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005

Year Of Next Election - 2015 1/9 William Hill. Free money.

Better than a bank.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.
    There's still a risk of a black swan event forcing an election this year.

Or Scotland's vote for independence extending out the date of the next election.

Small risk maybe. But not zero.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.
    Under what circumstances could an election happen this year? For example, if the LDs took their ball home and dissolved the coalition, what would [most probably] happen?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,121
    Ed Miliband says he is "more personally competent" than David Cameron to be prime minister.

So he thinks he has "more intellectual self-confidence" than Cameron, and is also "more personally competent".

Dave, step over immediately. Ed is obviously your utter superior, and should lead the country immediately!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/13/ed-miliband-shrugs-off-fall-popularity-labour-polls
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Tim Sherwood sacked by Spurs

Norwich City
    Sherwood leaves with the best managerial record of any Spurs manager in Premier League history.

As a Norwich fan, we'll take him.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,997

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Actually what Salmond said is probably a good reflection of the future if Scotland is independent.

Access to the Norwegian fishing grounds (where 'access' is used in its accepted term when referring to fishing as meaning 'the right to fish') is probably entirely dependent on Scotland remaining in the EU. If Scotland leaves then the treaty agreement that gives Norway access to Scottish fishing grounds will no longer apply. In that case Norway will be allowing access to its own fishing grounds in return for nothing.

At that point I suspect the Norwegians will pull out of the deal, citing the loss of access to Scottish waters as a justifiable grounds.

Didn't he say that the fishing fleets of 12 countries would be denied access to Norwegian waters as a consequence?
    then the deal would, I assume, fall.
    So does Salmond. But its a matter between the EU and Norway, who are entitled to sort out something themselves - outwith the gift of Scotland or Salmond.....
    Unlike you, Scotland and Salmond understand who owns the fishing rights in Norwegian waters.
    So why have the Scottish Fisherman's Federation written to him?

Do they not understand Scottish fishing either?

From the Herald, they have written for 'clarification' which is fair enough given the spin which the Unionists have been putting on a very few brief words, in the face of common sense and ordinary English context. And I'm not going to waste any more time explaining it as I feel sorry for the other PBers having to put up with this wilful misapprehension .

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,476

Ed Miliband says he is "more personally competent" than David Cameron to be prime minister.

So he thinks he has "more intellectual self-confidence" than Cameron, and is also "more personally competent".

Dave, step over immediately. Ed is obviously your utter superior, and should lead the country immediately!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/13/ed-miliband-shrugs-off-fall-popularity-labour-polls

Does he not think before he opens his gob?!?
  • Options
    Next said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.

Or Scotland's vote for independence extending out the date of the next election.

It is actually 2015 or later
    Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.
    Under what circumstances could an election happen this year? For example, if the LDs took their ball home and dissolved the coalition, what would [most probably] happen?
    State Opening happens on the first day of a new parliamentary session or shortly after a general election. The State Opening of Parliament for the 2014-15 session will take place on Wednesday 4 June 2014.

The Fixed Term Parliaments Act, which sets out new rules on the timing of general elections, received royal assent (became law) on 15 September 2011. This means that the next general election will be on 7 May 2015. There will be a state opening soon after this date.

4th June is last possible date for a black swan. And I agree there is some risk, but its quite small (2% maybe ?) so thats why I'm in for a hundred and not a thousand.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2014

isam said:

Just received an email from Boris, telling me to use my vote next week.

They really are pulling out all the stops on this one.

Mayor of London saying vote for us in the London council elections...

Whatever next?!
    You're missing the point.

The Tories are engaging their supporters/voters in a way I've not seen before.

I've received literature via the post, I've received more emails than ever before with nuanced stuff and invites to take part in things.

And it looks professional and not spammy.
    Axelrod is going to have to work up a sweat to earn his £x00,000's.
    One topic that has not had the usual coverage in the media as campaigns start to kick-off, is the state of party funding. We recently heard of billionaire philanthropist Sir Michael Hintze and Paul Sykes donating a reported £1.5m each to UKIP/Tories, but I wonder how others are faring?
  • Options
    @Anorak I think it is quite possible for the Lib Dems to leave the coalition, and the GE to be in 2015.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Checks date on calendar...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited May 2014
    "more personally competent"

"more intellectual self-confidence"

It is interesting. The first quote comes from this interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27388780

He is banging on about how he is in touch with the common man, how he feels their pain. Except, nobody in the street uses language like the above two quote (and they are just two of many similar ones).

I think it is incredibly hard to convince people that you really do understand them, if you speak in these weird ways. Blair was a master at changing his language to suit the audience, I just saw a Youtube clip from Marr last week, with Miliband and Farage, and in fact the non-normal bloke-ness is highlighted by Farage's pretty basic straight talking approach.

And finally, Miliband tries to attack Farage on being heir to Thatcher. There was another example of this recently, where in an interview he was giving it the big Thatcher bashing. And again he is totally wrong if he really believes his "One Nation" stuff.

There are lots of "aspirational" type folks who voted Thatcher, voted Blair, and that don't think everything that Thatcher did was evil (just check the polling when she died), keeping going big on the Thatcher bashing brings back the divide of for or against and well we know that Thatcher won the battles for the public every time.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @SeanT is right. I too have friends who emigrated to Australia for a "better life". They maintain the pretence that they have it until about halfway through the second pint in the pub. Then they pine for home. That all said, they do live in Perth which is, I am reliably informed, almost North American in its dullness, among the dullest sun-kissed cities in the world.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Lol, does he realise what a d*** he sounds like?

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,926
    edited May 2014
    Why had Ed started bragging his own perceived qualities at precisely the moment Labour slip's behind Con?
  • Options
    EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351
    Grandiose said:

Tim Sherwood sacked by Spurs

Norwich City
    Sherwood leaves with the best managerial record of any Spurs manager in Premier League history.

As a Norwich fan, we'll take him.
    As a Norwich fan we'd take anyone who wasn't the sterile Chris Hughton.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Anorak said:

Really, anyone who believes such rubbish as "The hockey stick was a work of fiction" has to take a long hard look at themselves and their credulity of charlatans.

Where is your scepticism?

Sorry Mr Me but the hockey stick was disproved back in 2005 when the first of a series of papers emerged showing that the statistical underpinning of the data for the paper was fatally flawed. Subsequent (and previous) papers also showed that the base assumption of the hockey stick which required the removal of the Medieval Warming Period was also flawed.

*snip* cut and paste of cherry-picked reports from some denier site *snip*
    https://royalsociety.org/policy/projects/climate-evidence-causes

"Climate change is one of the defining issues of our time. It is now more certain than ever, based on many lines of evidence, that humans are changing Earth’s climate. The atmosphere and oceans have warmed, accompanied by sea-level rise, a strong decline in Arctic sea ice, and other climate-related changes." Feb 2014

Who to believe? Richard T or the Royal Society? Who has access to the best data? Who is more likely to be the expert in climatology? Tough call. I'll clearly have to think on it a while.

I am not asking you to believe me. All I am doing is providing peer review papers that show that the idea that the science is settled is clearly false.

And as ever the fact that certain organisations back the theory is meaningless in scientific terms. The Royal Society has backed the wrong horse on a whole range of issues in the past and I am sure will do again.

By the way since you raise the issue of expertise in climatology (so negating the claim of the logical fallacy of appeal to authority) I do at least work in the field so am not simply an interested observer.
    All right, I'll bite.

There are thousands of papers on climate change. Typically they have a 95% confidence threshold on the data. Most are better than that, but still, that means there may be 5% of papers which draw erroneous conclusions, and will add false data to both AGW/non-AGW evidence piles (peer-reviewed or otherwise). This shows that the existence of papers which contradict the prevailing view is likely and provides proof that the system works as it should.

The existence of hundreds of "no-AGW" papers does not mean the issue is not settled. Or rather, it doesn't mean that when faced with a towering column of tens-of-thousands of papers in the "AGW is real" camp. It's a mendacious misuse of (usually) good sciencific methods and the peer-review process.

By the way, I've just been for a walk in the sun, so I guess I "work in the field" too.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Why had Ed started bragging his own perceived qualities at precisely the moment Labour slip's behind Con?

Because he has lost the argument on every other front?

He's just moving pretend divisions around Berlin now.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,629
    edited May 2014
    Are we sure Ed wasn't mis-heard.

He actually said this, which is more plausible

Ed Miliband says he is "more personally incompetent" than David Cameron
  • Options

It is awful. Absolutely, obnoxiously awful. It would be awful even if his back story matched it, and he had spent twenty years bent double down t'pit, chipping coal out with a toothpick.

Instead he's a political toff. After all, he's a millionaire who was gifted a job with Tony Benn as a teenager, and has been in politics ever since.

Labour need to commit Edicide.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Well he's got nothing else to say has he.

Or indeed, why he's bigging himself up when his personal ratings are dropping through the floor? Anyone would think he's feeling a little insecure.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    BobaFett said:

@SeanT is right. I too have friends who emigrated to Australia for a "better life". They maintain the pretence that they have it until about halfway through the second pint in the pub. Then they pine for home. That all said, they do live in Perth which is, I am reliably informed, almost North American in its dullness, among the dullest sun-kissed cities in the world.

New York and San Francisco are dull cities?
  • Options
    Tomorrow at PMQs, Ed announces "I've got a bigger cock than Dave"
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Well he's got nothing else to say has he.

Or indeed, why he's bigging himself up when his personal ratings are dropping through the floor? Anyone would think he's feeling a little insecure.

Literally anything would be better than going on about himself. The NHS, crime, immigration, schools, Trident, a unified transport policy, council tax rebanding...
  • Options
    Ed could do with covering that patch of misfortunate grey in his hair. Looks like a bird has crapped on him imo.
  • Options

I bet he's the sort who stands at a urinal, secretly trying to p*ss higher up the wall than his neighbour.
  • Options

David should just say.. 'is that what your missus told you?'...

• Options
    edited May 2014

I think we're allowed to say that Ed Miliband is a dick without the use of an asterisk. Oooh, I quite enjoyed that, I think I'll do it in bold:

Ed Miliband, Leader of the Opposition, is a dick. Ahhhhh.....
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Don't give him ideas.
  • Options
    Just how shite was Roberto Soldado for Spurs?

He's been left out of Spain's World Cup squad and Fernando Torres is in. Fernando Torres
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Andrew Flintoff in talks over Lancashire T20 comeback

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/27396177
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Alex Salmond tells Radio 4 he is on the 5-2 diet and has recently lost 2 stone 4 pounds.
  • Options

Dave, should reply with "I know, and he's called Ed Balls"
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2014

And would this 'cock' perchance go by the name Ed Balls?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.
    Well, in that event the Lib Dems (or Labour) could call a confidence vote, which Cameron would probably lose. Cameron would then, I think, under the Fixed Term Parliament Act be within his rights to ask for parliament to be dissolved and a general election to be called. Why the Lib Dems would want such an outcome given their current polling figures I can't think.

If the Lib Dems walked out of the coalition and no confidence vote was called then Cameron would soldier on with a minority government, with probably no practical effect (the legislative queue ain't exactly full) but with massive ability to make political points to the the Lib Dems detriment.

The Lib Dems are probably screwed anyway but going early is probably the worst of their options.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    AndyJS said:

Alex Salmond tells Radio 4 he is on the 5-2 diet and has recently lost 2 stone 4 pounds.

He must have eaten one of his legs. 5 bites, 2 swallows.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,997
    Pulpstar said:

Next said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.
    State Opening happens on the first day of a new parliamentary session or shortly after a general election. The State Opening of Parliament for the 2014-15 session will take place on Wednesday 4 June 2014.

The Fixed Term Parliaments Act, which sets out new rules on the timing of general elections, received royal assent (became law) on 15 September 2011. This means that the next general election will be on 7 May 2015. There will be a state opening soon after this date.

4th June is last possible date for a black swan. And I agree there is some risk, but its quite small (2% maybe ?) so thats why I'm in for a hundred and not a thousand.

But what happens if e.g. the coalition falls after 4 June but in time for a GE in 2014? Surely the FTP Act doesn't force us all to wait till 7 May 2015 for a GE just because the 2014-5 session has opened. Or does it?
  • Options

Another sh##ty reality tv show on ITV2 coming up....
  • Options

Dave, should reply with "I know, and he's called Ed Balls"
    The jokes write themselves sometimes..
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I wish it were possible to bet on UKIP in the Bootle constituency with Ladbrokes. They'd be about 50/1 but it might be worth putting a pound or two on a "miracle" happening:

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/politics/uk-general-election/next-general-election-constituency-betting-e216773182#
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I thought he was opposed to excessive belt tightening? (I am loathe to mock, though.)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Good on him. Although going for a walk (or if you have to, run) is better than any diet, IMHO. It's not as if Scotland, and especially Edinburgh, is lacking superb walking terrain.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    GIN1138 said:

As I understand it he is being asked "Will you be a better Prime Minister than Cameron?" and he is answering with "Yes, because...".

He's hardly going to say "No, of course not, vote for the other guy".
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Next said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.

But what happens if e.g. the coalition falls after 4 June but in time for a GE in 2014? Surely the FTP Act doesn't force us all to wait till 7 May 2015 for a GE just because the 2014-5 session has opened. Or does it?
    Dunno, can't see it myself. I'm in for a hundred anyway. 1/9 looks a good price to me.
  • Options
    @Socrates - they and New Orleans are the exceptions. Most American cities are soulless grids
  • Options
    You gotta love the Danes

Never mind the ballots: Denmark cages violent cartoon hero Voteman

Sexually prodigious, muscle-bound, perennially enraged character was created to boost turnout in European elections

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/13/denmark-voteman-violent-cartoon-ballot-election-european
  • Options

Another sh##ty reality tv show on ITV2 coming up....
    lol
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.
    Well, in that event the Lib Dems (or Labour) could call a confidence vote, which Cameron would probably lose. Cameron would then, I think, under the Fixed Term Parliament Act be within his rights to ask for parliament to be dissolved and a general election to be called. Why the Lib Dems would want such an outcome given their current polling figures I can't think.

If the Lib Dems walked out of the coalition and no confidence vote was called then Cameron would soldier on with a minority government, with probably no practical effect (the legislative queue ain't exactly full) but with massive ability to make political points to the the Lib Dems detriment.

The Lib Dems are probably screwed anyway but going early is probably the worst of their options.
    5th in Euros => Clegg deposed => Humongous internicene war breaks out amongt the yellows => Party completely implodes => New leader (50.1% of last round of voting) leads them in a very sharp left turn => Government riven by infighting to the point of ceasing to function => Collapse and election.

Unlikely but far from unfeasible.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    AndyJS said:

I wish it were possible to bet on UKIP in the Bootle constituency with Ladbrokes. They'd be about 50/1 but it might be worth putting a pound or two on a "miracle" happening:

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/politics/uk-general-election/next-general-election-constituency-betting-e216773182#

Give Shadsy a nudge next time he's here - I'd have thought that he'd price it up for you (albeit at odds you might not like of course...)
  • Options
    The Tories are still 2/1 in Bedford with Ladbrokes. In light of recent polls that might represent value:

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/politics/en-gbneral-election/next-general-election-constituency-betting-e216773182#
  • Options
    Lennon said:

AndyJS said:

Give Shadsy a nudge next time he's here - I'd have thought that he'd price it up for you (albeit at odds you might not like of course...)
    All PBers should know that Bootle is a nailed on Tory Gain.

Ave It said so.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

People will be happy to take your cash at 50-1 I expect ! It'd be funny if Labour did lose Bootle but it's not happening.

UKIP are 20-1 in Barking which is probably a better bet methinks.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Cats ahoy! Welcome home Plato lass
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Good on him. Although going for a walk (or if you have to, run) is better than any diet, IMHO. It's not as if Scotland, and especially Edinburgh, is lacking superb walking terrain.
    Exercise will improve your fitness levels (which is good in itself). But the only way to seriously lose weight is to cut intake of food/alcohol.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    Isabel Hardman argues that it's (some of) the Shadow Cabinet that might get it in the neck for Labour's crumbling poll lead, and not Ed:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/05/labour-poll-blow-party-anger-could-focus-on-shadow-cabinet/
  • Options
    If Scotland votes Yes the best part might be that I could go back into the Hills 'mug' book.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

As I understand it he is being asked "Will you be a better Prime Minister than Cameron?" and he is answering with "Yes, because...".

Then you say something like: "Yes." I know it's impossible for a politician to give a straight yes/no answer, but it would (presumably) be accurate.

What he came out with is the worst possible wonk-speak.

One thing seems obvious from these quotes: he doesn't just dislike Cameron; he thinks he is better.
  • Options
    dan barker ‏@danbarker 22h

Nice survey finding - "Should you avoid using misleading data visualisation just to support your argument?" pic.twitter.com/vJU0bJ5OVT

twitter.com/danbarker/status/465851703297064962
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Socrates - they and New Orleans are the exceptions. Most American cities are soulless grids

And what makes them soulless, may I ask? I accept a grid takes away a bit of character, but Chicago's still a great city. But it has great restaurants, fun bars, shopping for the ladies, nice parks and, unlike the UK, a summer lasting months rather than weeks. What would you prefer? More litter and hijabs?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

Portland....Chicago....Boston.
  • Options

Guido Fawkes ✔ @GuidoFawkes

Heroic Alec Shelberforce Fights to Free the Slaves: http://bit.ly/1iNNPk0

Harry Cole @MrHarryCole

Labour MP rises to oppose Tory bill to stop exploitation of young people.

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,476

GIN1138 said:

Those types of questions tend to be of the nature that if they have to be asked the answer is no.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793

AndyJS said:

It was interesting - Martha Kearney tried to end the interview on a conciliatory note saying the 5:2 diet was something Salmond had in common with George Osborne -but Salmond couldn't resist the temptation for one upmanship, observing he was much more successful at it and had been doing it longer......

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    "UKIP are 20-1 in Barking" and evens that they ARE Barking!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Easy to forget how amazing and compact Europe is. You can fly two hours from London and be in Venice, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, the Alps, Norway, Lake Garda, the Aran islands, the Algarve, Berlin, Rome, Tuscany, the Pyrenees..

Just incredible.

Two hours flying from Perth, west Australia puts you in Broome, west Australia.

Most people are prevented via finances and commitments from regularly having weekends in Europe, however.
  • Options
    Where is Tim ? Surely with these joyous polls for Labour he will be returning.
  • Options
    Next said:

AndyJS said:

Exercise will improve your fitness levels (which is good in itself). But the only way to seriously lose weight is to cut intake of food/alcohol.
    I agree, but as an aside:

Both myself and Mrs J finds that exercise suppresses our appetites. I've no idea if this is just us or is a common phenomena, but when I'm out on a bakcpacking trip I actually have to force myself to eat.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

Chicago is a great city. Fantastic character, brilliant architecture, fine people; I prefer it to self-regarding New York or overrated San Francisco.

Trouble is the awful weather and the hideous crime.
    Chicago celebrated its lowest murder rate last year since 1965, with just 415 homicides. The population of the city is 2.7 million. In 2013 London had 99 homicides with a population of 8.4 million.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/02/chicago-homicides-down-dr_n_4531328.html
  • Options
    Just checking the news.

Has our Prime Minister been ministering to any fallen women today?

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Pulpstar said:

Where is Tim ? Surely with these joyous polls for Labour he will be returning.

He never left.
  • Options
    @SeanT

Yes, I accept the black projects in the larger, non-Western US cities is a serious mark against them. But while troubling for the conscience, it doesn't really affect your quality of life because people of middle incomes and above live in a different part of town.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.

5th in Euros => Clegg deposed => Humongous internicene war breaks out amongt the yellows => Party completely implodes => New leader (50.1% of last round of voting) leads them in a very sharp left turn => Government riven by infighting to the point of ceasing to function => Collapse and election.

Hmm To vote Lib Dem to see off this theoretical existential threat or Conservative to bring home the bundles from Winner/365...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

The last place I heard this was in Perth! Actually, on Rottnest Island.

But I have also heard it in Sydney and in Queensland.

And I have two friends out here in Thailand, supposedly living the ultimate life, who are now quietly talking about coming home. They miss the conversation, and the seasons. And Europe.

Easy to forget how amazing and compact Europe is. You can fly two hours from London and be in Venice, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, the Alps, Norway, Lake Garda, the Aran islands, the Algarve, Berlin, Rome, Tuscany, the Pyrenees..

Just incredible.

Two hours flying from Perth, west Australia puts you in Broome, west Australia.
    I lived with an Aussie lass for four years. Her father grew up in East London after the war, and had a childhood of deprivation amongst the bombed-out houses. As soon as possible he became a Ten Pound Pom.

He hated England with a passion and supported Australia in everything. Except: he supported West Ham in football, and drunk 'English' bitter in an English-themed pub that was filled with English expats.
  • Options
    I love America, butI find most North American cities seriously lacking in culture and good food, many are identikit.
    I hear some Australian cities are possibly even worse.
  • Options
    I was thinking of visiting either Copenhagen or Helsinki next weekend.

Might be a bit warmer than here.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

GIN1138 said:

Those types of questions tend to be of the nature that if they have to be asked the answer is no.
    Ah, that's a good point.

It's not Miliband's answers that are interesting, it is why he is being asked the question. And the reason must be that the newspapers have cottoned on to the fact that the public don't rate Miliband, so any answer he gives will get people's attention and make a story.

If the newspapers thought that the public rated Miliband more highly than Cameron they would be asking Cameron whether Miliband would make a better PM, because he would have to say no, and it would be a no that their readers would be interested in - because they disagree with it.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

I love America, butI find most North American cities seriously lacking in culture and good food, many are identikit.

What are you meaning by "culture"? What does, say, Leicester have over Charlotte?
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    Charles said:

Actually what Salmond said is probably a good reflection of the future if Scotland is independent.

Access to the Norwegian fishing grounds (where 'access' is used in its accepted term when referring to fishing as meaning 'the right to fish') is probably entirely dependent on Scotland remaining in the EU. If Scotland leaves then the treaty agreement that gives Norway access to Scottish fishing grounds will no longer apply. In that case Norway will be allowing access to its own fishing grounds in return for nothing.

At that point I suspect the Norwegians will pull out of the deal, citing the loss of access to Scottish waters as a justifiable grounds.

The alternative is, of course, that the EU offers them something else in return. Not sure what they have that would be of interest to the Norwegian fishing industry though.
    Royalty-free repeats for ever of Andy Stewart's Scottish Hogmanay Party?

Oh, the wend bloo hay an the wend bloo loo

...etc
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Interesting place but fails on the safe issue.

I was the only white or sober guy on a bus there once, and very threatening atmosphere. As soon as they found out that I was not French things lightened up significantly, but still glad to get off!

Have you considered Mauritius? Lovely spot.

In Australia I would avoid the Gold Coast. It is like an Australian Benidorm without the class. The Sunshine Coast is better, and Adelaide better still. No inheritance tax in Oz either.

O/T - where would be a nice place to retire to that meets the following conditions?

- hot. Like, Dubai hot
    - safe
    - low tax
    - booze available
    - nice beaches
    - nice places to eat out
    - minimal risk of property expropriation a la Malta, Spain, Porchickle

any suggestions?

New Caledonia.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

I'm doing a visit to Washington and New York in November, should be fun, and New York, like London just feels like a unique place, distinct from the rest of country.

• Options
    The worst new world country for pubs has to be New Zealand. The food and drink here is clearly the worst in the 'developed' English speaking world. I toured three years ago - you would arrive in a new city after a very long drive and nowhere could serve you a decent freshly cooked meal. I was astounded by just how bad it was.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Next said:

AndyJS said:

^^This.

About a year ago I realised that at a shade under 17st 4lb with a 38/40 inch waist, I really should do something about my weight or risk an early grave.

I took up running and was seriously struggling to lose any significant weight, and my knees & ankles were buggered.

I looked at my diet and made a few changes, and finally started to lose weight.

I'm now about 13st 10lb, finally no longer in the obese BMI range and am down to 34 inch waist.

Still just under 2 st to lose to reach my target BMI range though. I'm hopeful to get there this year.

I feel much better and finally enjoy running and have just hit my target for 5k at under 30 mins.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Oi! We have premiership football for a start!

Socrates said:

BobaFett said:

What are you meaning by "culture"? What does, say, Leicester have over Charlotte?
  • Options
    The other thing that American cities have is that they often have far greater sense of social community than we do. People far more often have parties and get togethers on a regular basis than in the UK, and there's far more openness to meeting new people. That counts for a lot in terms of quality of life and the nature of a city.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Better than a bank.

Aye, Mr. Anorak, a plausible, if unlikely, scenario, except for one thing. Regardless of who is the Lib Dem leader or which direction that party is pointing this week, does not the Fixed Term Parliament Act mean that an early election is not possible without a vote in the House?
  • Options
    @Slack

I hated Washington DC - boring, dreadful, clinical planned dystopia. Lego Brick City. However, the countryside around it - the Blue Ridge Mountains, Skyline Drive, the Shenandoah - pristine wilderness. Some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever had the honour to visit.
  • Options

Socrates said:

BobaFett said:

Most decent sized American cities have several major sports franchises, and they're far more affordable than a Premiership game. Yes, I know the reaction is going to be "well the sport I know well and enjoy is far better than the sports I don't understand very much", but that's just a subjective bias.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

The other thing that American cities have is that they often have far greater sense of social community than we do. People far more often have parties and get togethers on a regular basis than in the UK, and there's far more openness to meeting new people. That counts for a lot in terms of quality of life and the nature of a city.

Yes although it's interesting that they don't like the idea of paying for other people's health care through taxation.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ToryJim said:

Does he not think before he opens his gob?!?
    There's a real stench of arrogance/entitlement coming off Miliband at the moment.

I suspect a big chunk of the shift is down to people picking up on the "intellectual self-confidence" point and thinking 'what an arse'. This will be reinforced by the "more personally competent" comment.

People don't like self-entitled, arrogant and complacent individuals. Natural reaction is to kick them in the backside.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

BobaFett said:

I'm doing a visit to Washington and New York in November, should be fun, and New York, like London just feels like a unique place, distinct from the rest of country.

Oh god don't go to Washington DC...Dave Gorman does a good bit about the place in his GoogleWhack show and he is absolutely spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyVxGDE6zgo

The BlueRidge Mountain Parkway on the other hand is awesome.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

Socrates said:

BobaFett said:

Also has a world snooker champion and the National Space Centre!
  • Options
    To be fair Leicester is also dreadfully dull. It still ranks above most American cities, many of which struggle to serve you meal that you don't need two hands to carry, and three stomachs to accommodate.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The latest ECMWF forecast does suggest that Helsinki will be a touch warmer than SE England at the weekend, but Copenhagen will be roughly on a par, excepting for the fact that the Baltic Sea temperatures are still more than five degrees cooler than the English Channel.

Would be surprised if the SE wasn't warm and sunny at the weekend.
  • Options
    @Andy

Not next weekend it won't be. Be much warmer here - lovely forecast.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Socrates said:

BobaFett said:

Also has a world snooker champion and the National Space Centre!
    And the excellent Kasabian!
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

To be fair Leicester is also dreadfully dull. It still ranks above most American cities, many of which struggle to serve you meal that you don't need two hands to carry, and three stomachs to accommodate.

Absurd ignorance. There's great Mexican and Japanese food all over the place. We have far more trashy kebab shops and fried chicken places in our town centres.
  • Options
    @Socrates

They move them around and they are in sports almost no other country plays.

Next.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

The latest ECMWF forecast does suggest that Helsinki will be a touch warmer than SE England at the weekend, but Copenhagen will be roughly on a par, excepting for the fact that the Baltic Sea temperatures are still more than five degrees cooler than the English Channel.

Ah, are you talking about the Bank Holiday weekend? The difference is much more marked at that point in the forecasts...
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

AndyJS said:

Tivoli is now open for the season in Copenhagen if you like tasteful theme parks!
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380

Just how shite was Roberto Soldado for Spurs?

He's been left out of Spain's World Cup squad and Fernando Torres is in. Fernando Torres

I always thought Torres was overrated. He does score goals though.

I saw, err, Eck, on Boulton - I wasn't overly impressed.
This discussion has been closed.