Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Populus monthly aggregates show LAB losing a seventh of

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,076
    edited May 2014

isam said:

@MorrisDancer - "On 'leftard': personally I think it's an ugly term, but it's telling that the left wish it to be verboten, whereas the right's reaction to 'euracism' was to laugh at it, but not call for any sort of ban."

I would not ban use of the word "leftard". I think those who are comfortable using it and/or want to justify its use should be free to do so. And I don't think I have seen any posts on here today from anyone calling for it to be banned.

Its a useful distraction for people who don't want to face up to the absurdity of left wingers calling Asian & Black people "racist" for disagreeing with their politics

As I say below, the SWP are morons. If you wish to use or justify the use of pejorative words such as Leftard then I believe you should be free to do so.
    Don't involve me, I have never used it

I can forgive an Asian man, who is being called a racist by white middle class kids, using an offensive term in anger, and I can understand why it suits you to ignore and try to distract from the bigger picture
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    isam said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

When the word "racism" was changed to mean whatever lefties wanted it to, it was inevitable this would happen

Khalid Khan UKIP ‏@KhanUKIP 8h
    White middle class #Leftard protesters yelling 'racist' at Black Asian and Ethnic #UKIP candidates including me today pic.twitter.com/IrPmJeWARO

It's a shame that, when he wants to make a (fair) point about ill-judged epithets, he does so himself. It's not the Leftie bit that grates (unlike PB Tories most Lefties are happy enough to be described as such) but the 'ard bit... What's the etymology of that, do you think?
    Leftie is fine. Leftard is not.
    -ard is a respectable suffix indicating a member of a characteristic group, as in coward, dullard and drunkard.

Never heard that about cows before.

You learn something new every day

"According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, the word coward came into English from the Old French word coart (modern French couard), a combination of the word for "tail" (Modern French queue, Latin cauda) and an agent noun suffix. It would therefore have meant "one with a tail" — perhaps from the habit of animals displaying their tails in flight"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowardice
    I thought a cow-ard was a person apt to be cowed?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

The sort of bankers (and others) we should really be bashing:

Unveiling his plans to rescue the Co-op, he (Lord Myners) said it could yet be saved but he was not confident that bosses will take the action needed, claiming some on the board do not know the difference between credit and debit.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622174/One-great-business-calamities-Co-op-sees-half-150-years-wealth-wiped-four-years.html

So much for all that smug, suffocatingly pious "oh, WE do things the ethical way..."

The Labour Party and the Co-op Bank - two cheeks of the same arse.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

So this time next year Cameron will be walking triumphantly back into Downing St. for another five years as PM, while shell-shocked Ed will be resigning after blowing a contest where he thought all he had to do was turn up!

But what will will Clegg's fate be?

Cancel the John Lewis removal van!
  • Options

isam said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

When the word "racism" was changed to mean whatever lefties wanted it to, it was inevitable this would happen

White middle class #Leftard protesters yelling 'racist' at Black Asian and Ethnic #UKIP candidates including me today pic.twitter.com/IrPmJeWARO

It's a shame that, when he wants to make a (fair) point about ill-judged epithets, he does so himself. It's not the Leftie bit that grates (unlike PB Tories most Lefties are happy enough to be described as such) but the 'ard bit... What's the etymology of that, do you think?
    -ard is a respectable suffix indicating a member of a characteristic group, as in coward, dullard and drunkard.

"According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, the word coward came into English from the Old French word coart (modern French couard), a combination of the word for "tail" (Modern French queue, Latin cauda) and an agent noun suffix. It would therefore have meant "one with a tail" — perhaps from the habit of animals displaying their tails in flight"

I missed the last bit which could make you right

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, the word coward came into English from the Old French word coart (modern French couard), a combination of the word for "tail" (Modern French queue, Latin cauda) and an agent noun suffix. It would therefore have meant "one with a tail" — perhaps from the habit of animals displaying their tails in flight ("turning tail"), or from a dog's habit of putting its tail between its legs when it is afraid or cowed
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Guido may have found the new presenter of 'Newsight' - don't miss the ending...! ; )

http://order-order.com/2014/05/08/media-bitch-fight-of-the-week-international-edition/#respond
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Charles said:

But here it is a compound word ("leftie" and "retard") not a suffix

Can we call people who spout bollocks Bollards?

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    isam said:

isam said:

@MorrisDancer - "On 'leftard': personally I think it's an ugly term, but it's telling that the left wish it to be verboten, whereas the right's reaction to 'euracism' was to laugh at it, but not call for any sort of ban."

I would not ban use of the word "leftard". I think those who are comfortable using it and/or want to justify its use should be free to do so. And I don't think I have seen any posts on here today from anyone calling for it to be banned.

Its a useful distraction for people who don't want to face up to the absurdity of left wingers calling Asian & Black people "racist" for disagreeing with their politics

As I say below, the SWP are morons. If you wish to use or justify the use of pejorative words such as Leftard then I believe you should be free to do so.

I can forgive an Asian man, who is being called a racist by white middle class kids, using an offensive term in anger, and I can understand why it suits you to ignore and try to distract from the bigger picture

What bigger picture is that then? A few left-wing, middle class kids showing themselves to be morons. It's been happening for years. I remember when it was the done thing to have IRA posters on your bedroom wall. They are morons and representative of nothing but themselves and their few fellow travellers. Though I can see why it suits you to pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The Newark betting IMHO does not reflect the likelihood of a Tory win.8-13 is better than the building society.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
    A LabourList article on a potential future of the railways under Labour:

http://labourlist.org/2014/05/public-ownership-of-the-railways-an-alternative-vision/

Some interesting things in it, but Jessop's fourth law of railways states that any such article that concentrates on passengers and does not mention railfreight is half-baked rubbish.

(As a rather silly aside, the picture at the top of the article shows the current railway system, wide and fast, with the future one outlined: narrow, slow and askew. The sad thing is I know exactly where the photo was taken ...)
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

What bigger picture is that then? A few left-wing, middle class kids showing themselves to be morons. It's been happening for years. I remember when it was the done thing to have IRA posters on your bedroom wall. They are morons and representative of nothing but themselves and their few fellow travellers. Though I can see why it suits you to pretend otherwise.
    How have I pretended otherwise?

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

So what is the bigger picture then?

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Labour's "worst advert ever" title has proven to be very short-lived.

Check out this England Cricket / Waitrose effort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s-GvSPlWl8
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    F1: apparently Korea will remain off the calendar next year, and Azerbaijan will join. We'll see.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Unveiling his plans to rescue the Co-op, he (Lord Myners) said it could yet be saved but he was not confident that bosses will take the action needed, claiming some on the board do not know the difference between credit and debit.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622174/One-great-business-calamities-Co-op-sees-half-150-years-wealth-wiped-four-years.html
    Banks have had debit and credit back to front for all eternity anyway !

It's simple.

All you need to remember is that the more deposits you have the greater your liabilities..
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

The Newark betting IMHO does not reflect the likelihood of a Tory win.8-13 is better than the building society.

Either the Conservatives should be 1-10, or Ed Miliband is measuring up the curtains in No 10. One of the two. 8-13 is still too long I think, am on at 8-11 myself.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

http://labourlist.org/2014/05/public-ownership-of-the-railways-an-alternative-vision/

Some interesting things in it, but Jessop's fourth law of railways states that any such article that concentrates on passengers and does not mention railfreight is half-baked rubbish.

(As a rather silly aside, the picture at the top of the article shows the current railway system, wide and fast, with the future one outlined: narrow, slow and askew. The sad thing is I know exactly where the photo was taken ...)

I well remember how terrible the railways were under British Rail. One shudders to think how bad the "People's Railway", under the The Co-operative Party's plans would be.
  • Options
    Off topic – an opinion about Halal meat and the recent arguments about it:

If you eat meat, as most of us do, then you have to accept that the animal must be killed. And that requires inflicting on it some sort of fatal injury. The issue is not what the nature of the fatal injury is but rather whether or not the animal suffers. Abbatoirs are, I understand, obliged to render the animal insensible or unconscious by stunning it with an electrical prod before actually inflicting the fatal injury (usually a retractable bolt shot into the brain). Halal (and Kosher butchery) only requires that the fatal injury be a slit throat – which is a perfectly quick and effective method of inflicting a fatal wound – but says nothing about whether or not the animal can be stunned in advance.

So for me the whole argument is a complete waste of time. Stun all animals first and then kill them how you like (bolt guns, slit throats, chainsaws, rocket launchers – it doesn’t matter). They won’t suffer and all parties can be happy.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Socrates said:

@TheScreamingEagles

Case after case in sentencing is a joke in the UK. How about this evil woman, who forced children as young as 13 into sexual slavery and was found guilty for 16 separate cases of child prostitution, likely entailing hundreds of individual rapes:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-20532355

Just 12 years in jail, and she'll be out by the time she's 35. Nine months for each charge of child prostitution.

That's the problem with this country. Decent, innocent people can have their privacy horrendously intruded upon by the government with no cause, yet the truly evil that have done unspeakable crimes get to walk the streets freely for most of their lives.

12 years is probably one of the stiffest sentences the Court can hand down. (I'm not saying it shouldn't be stiffer). And given the nature of the offence, she can expect a very hard time indeed inside.

• Options

I well remember how terrible the railways were under British Rail. One shudders to think how bad the "People's Railway", under the The Co-operative Party's plans would be.
    I've mentioned their report before. It was written in 2008, and is absolute rubbish, sadly.

http://party.coop/files/2014/03/Peoples-Rail-pamphlet.pdf

If they cannot even keep such proposals up to date, how can we take it seriously?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

So what is the bigger picture then?

That you are on the wrong side of the argument

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,427
    edited May 2014

I rather hoped you were using the term 'People's railway' in an ironic way until I read the article and saw they were serious about calling it that . ARGGGGH If there is one thing I hate more than people thinking they can nationalise things and everything will be lovely its people using the patronising drivel that involves using 'People's -----' or 'YOUR council ,park etc' . They are both patronising and infantile imho
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,217

AndyJS said:

O/T:

"09:00 In Our Time: Melvyn Bragg and his guests discuss the Second Sino-Japanese War. bbc.in/1iZLl3E"

https://mobile.twitter.com/onradio4now

I do believe that Bragg is one of the greatest broadcasters of the last 30 years. The 'In Our Time' programmes are just brilliant and fulfill every part of the 'public service' broadcasting that should be the BBC's first priority.
    Richard, I agree
  • Options

I've mentioned their report before. It was written in 2008, and is absolute rubbish, sadly.

If they cannot even keep such proposals up to date, how can we take it seriously?
    Here's how it would be run.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/may/07/lord-myners-cooperative-group-radical-overhaul
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    An absolutely outstanding article on immigration from David Frum in the Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/05/immigration-reform-isnt-just-about-numbersits-about-skills-too/361650/

Some very insightful points about the different types of immigration systems, and how the US is actually making a decision to import poverty, unlike places like Canada and Australia. He doesn't mention the UK, but we must surely suffer more from it due to much of our foreign born population coming from places like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria and Jamaica.

He also talks about how there's an assumption that uneducated immigrant populations will improve over time, but this often isn't true. With US Hispanics, for example, there's an improvement with the second generation but then progress stalls after that. From my knowledge of educational success in the UK, I suspect Indians do improve generation upon generation, but this isn't true for the other four groups listed.

Anyway, a must-read piece.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Thanks Stuart. Dare I suggest that the lack of a viable media in Scotland capable of surviving in such a small pool and holding a rather authoritarian executive to account is yet another reason to vote no?

Everything about politics, indeed I find increasingly everything about Scottish life seems to be revolving around the vote in September. Voting intention will mean very little until that is determined.

Quite the opposite , a hostile oppressive lying London Media and a pathetic Westminster government mean it is imperative that everyone votes YES to save Scotland in September. YES for democracy.
    Ah the blame game and buck passing never stops. Natland - where a big boy did it and ran away.
    Nor would this stop after a Yes vote. It would get more frequent and more shrill. Mugabe, comparably, is still blaming Britain for everything bad that happens in Zimbabwe, thirty years after he took over and what, 50-odd years after independence.

83% of Scotland voted for envy parties in 2010. This is sustainable for as long as there is someone whose money you envy and whom you can judicially expropriate. When this stops, you turn into Zimbabwe or North Korea.

Good.
    beyond parody, how shrill can you get whinger
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Socrates said:

An absolutely outstanding article on immigration from David Frum in the Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/05/immigration-reform-isnt-just-about-numbersits-about-skills-too/361650/

Some very insightful points about the different types of immigration systems, and how the US is actually making a decision to import poverty, unlike places like Canada and Australia. He doesn't mention the UK, but we must surely suffer more from it due to much of our foreign born population coming from places like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria and Jamaica.

He also talks about how there's an assumption that uneducated immigrant populations will improve over time, but this often isn't true. With US Hispanics, for example, there's an improvement with the second generation but then progress stalls after that. From my knowledge of educational success in the UK, I suspect Indians do improve generation upon generation, but this isn't true for the other four groups listed.

Anyway, a must-read piece.

Ironic that Frum emigrated from Canada to the US and then did so much for US prestige by promoting the Iraq War.

• Options

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/may/07/lord-myners-cooperative-group-radical-overhaul
    There is sadly some truth in that. The railways are a massively complex system, perhaps more so than banking. They've operated best when railwaymen are promoted up through the system into operational management roles - for instance Chris Green at Network South East. Promote the ablest, and train them for a role above. The top guys have to be very sharp, for instance the excellent Peter Parker.

The idea that a 'members council' of passengers (wither freight?) could give useful input is remote. The problem that has bedevilled the Co-operative Group - people promoted because of their political contacts rather than knowledge and competence - would quickly creep in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Green_(railway_manager)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Parker_(British_businessman)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Thanks Stuart. Dare I suggest that the lack of a viable media in Scotland capable of surviving in such a small pool and holding a rather authoritarian executive to account is yet another reason to vote no?

Everything about politics, indeed I find increasingly everything about Scottish life seems to be revolving around the vote in September. Voting intention will mean very little until that is determined.

Quite the opposite , a hostile oppressive lying London Media and a pathetic Westminster government mean it is imperative that everyone votes YES to save Scotland in September. YES for democracy.
    Ah the blame game and buck passing never stops. Natland - where a big boy did it and ran away.
    Nor would this stop after a Yes vote. It would get more frequent and more shrill. Mugabe, comparably, is still blaming Britain for everything bad that happens in Zimbabwe, thirty years after he took over and what, 50-odd years after independence.

83% of Scotland voted for envy parties in 2010. This is sustainable for as long as there is someone whose money you envy and whom you can judicially expropriate. When this stops, you turn into Zimbabwe or North Korea.

Good.
    As a point of reference, would the shrieks from Salmond over a cartoon, register as a '10'?
  • Options

There is sadly some truth in that. The railways are a massively complex system, perhaps more so than banking. They've operated best when railwaymen are promoted up through the system into operational management roles - for instance Chris Green at Network South East. Promote the ablest, and train them for a role above. The top guys have to be very sharp, for instance the excellent Peter Parker.

The idea that a 'members council' of passengers (wither freight?) could give useful input is remote. The problem that has bedevilled the Co-operative Group - people promoted because of their political contacts rather than knowledge and competence - would quickly creep in.

Bill Bradshaw too.
  • Options

Bill Bradshaw too.
    I would agree, but he was Western Region, and therefore polluted (even after all that time) with copper-top syndrome. ;-)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    isam said:

isam said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

I missed the last bit which could make you right

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, the word coward came into English from the Old French word coart (modern French couard), a combination of the word for "tail" (Modern French queue, Latin cauda) and an agent noun suffix. It would therefore have meant "one with a tail" — perhaps from the habit of animals displaying their tails in flight ("turning tail"), or from a dog's habit of putting its tail between its legs when it is afraid or cowed
    Now, that is interesting. The Frogs in the early-mid middle ages liked to put about the rumour that we English had tails. I had always assumed this was an insult based on us being the spawn of the Devil and not really human, which, considering how we behaved when invading their country in the 14th century, was understandable (not that they were much better, mind you, the burning alive of the population of Rye still hasn't be forgotten in some parts of Sussex). However, perhaps it was actually a more subtle insult - they believed the English to be cowards. Fascinating stuff.
  • Options

Bill Bradshaw too.
    I would agree, but he was Western Region, and therefore polluted (even after all that time) with copper-top syndrome. ;-)
    'copper-top syndrome'

?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,133
    edited May 2014

Labour's "worst advert ever" title has proven to be very short-lived.

Check out this England Cricket / Waitrose effort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s-GvSPlWl8

Sainsbury’s here I come! Makes me wonder who the target for this advert is!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Charles said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

Some compound words are quite evocative, descriptive and correct.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    It's Eurovision on Saturday and everybody wants to back Ukraine at 10/1 at the moment. They could easily go off a lot shorter on the day.

This is one of the biggest non-sporting betting events of the year and I am always surprised at just how much money is punted on this.

Obviously, I have no intention of listening to any of the songs in advance. The Ladbrokes Eurovision expert is really very good, so I shall simply base my betting strategy on whatever he happens to be shorter on than everyone else. Looks like Israel or Spain at the moment.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,133

Nice idea and PR to have laypeople on the Co-Op board. But if you run a business as big as the Co-op especially when it is involved in banking you really need to have the big decisions taken by experts. Yes I know some experts are better than others and people like Fred Goodwin and that Northern Rock guy are not good examples but at least you can vent fury at them for not knowing what they SHOULD know as opposed to venting fury at laypeople for not knowing what they are not expected to know

To be fair, you wouldn’t expect a sympathetic view of the Co-op from the Mail. And yes I realise that it’s supposed to be a factual report they publish.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,100

Bill Bradshaw too.
    'copper-top syndrome'

?
    The Great Western Railway put a copper band around the top of the chimneys of its locomotives; presumably CTS was the reference to how even long after nationalisation in 1947 the Western Region men in BR had their own way of thinking and their own assumptions of superiority to the rest.

• Options
    @JossaisJessup

"There is sadly some truth in that. The railways are a massively complex system, perhaps more so than banking. They've operated best when railwaymen are promoted up through the system into operational management roles - for instance Chris Green at Network South East. Promote the ablest, and train them for a role above. The top guys have to be very sharp, for instance the excellent Peter Parker"

Peter Parker is a name I remember from the past, and I don't remember his time in charge of British Rail as being particularly fruitful, just more of the same strikes and under-investment and what money there was being badly spent. In case my memory was playing me false, I have just looked him up. A French born socialist who trained as a historian and who had no connection with the railways until he was made chairman. So not an engineer and not a railway man. Are you sure you quoted the right bloke because he doesn't seem to fit the sort of fellow you argue for.
  • Options

Bill Bradshaw too.
    'copper-top syndrome'

?
    People who are so up themselves that they have to proclaim their (mistaken) superiority over others by painting the tops of the chimneys copper.

Compare the hideously flashy
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5023/5852259422_b277e97d94_z.jpg

with the sublime:
    http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/8f_48624.jpg
    or:
    https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2282/2834326512_df9e124ebb.jpg

(Note: this post may be slightly affected by personal biases. The latter colour schemes are not prototypical, and the first possibly the result of a rather drunken night out. Caveat emptor).
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Good.
    As a point of reference, would the shrieks from Salmond over a cartoon, register as a '10'?
    yawn
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    shadsy said:

It's Eurovision on Saturday and everybody wants to back Ukraine at 10/1 at the moment. They could easily go off a lot shorter on the day.

This is one of the biggest non-sporting betting events of the year and I am always surprised at just how much money is punted on this.

Obviously, I have no intention of listening to any of the songs in advance. The Ladbrokes Eurovision expert is really very good, so I shall simply base my betting strategy on whatever he happens to be shorter on than everyone else. Looks like Israel or Spain at the moment.

My Eurovision thread should be up tomorrow evening.

Everybody loves Eurovision.

My Eurovision thread last year was one of pb's most viewed threads last year.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

By the way, I look forward to Kippers calling Farage a shallow PR spiv, given the way he's surrounded himself with A listers ethnic minorities to show his party has changed.

Aye, definitely de-toxifying the brand

Nigel Farage = David Cameron

I so do feel for Sean Fear.
    What a smarmy lot you are. You Tories are really losing it when you start smearing the ethnics, so beloved of the elite, until they start thinking for themselves.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JohnO said:

By the way, I look forward to Kippers calling Farage a shallow PR spiv, given the way he's surrounded himself with A listers ethnic minorities to show his party has changed.

Aye, definitely de-toxifying the brand

Nigel Farage = David Cameron

I so do feel for Sean Fear.
    What a smarmy lot you are. You Tories are really losing it when you start smearing the ethnics, so beloved of the elite, until they start thinking for themselves.
    Yes tell me more about the ethnics so I don't smear them in the future.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Live South African election results:

http://www.news24.com/Elections/Results#map=live
  • Options
    shadsy said:

The Ukranian girl is the best sort!
  • Options
    isam said:

shadsy said:

But we want Iceland to win.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    UKIP haters: desperately seeking fascism

"It must be hard when something that you’ve spent a good proportion of your life campaigning against simply ceases to exist in any meaningful way. All those hours tirelessly working the streets, handing out leaflets, organising protests; the millions of words you wrote and spoke in commitment to the cause. And then slowly you realise there is no longer any point: the Great Threat you’ve been warning about has gone. "

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/ukip-haters-desperately-seeking-fascism/14985#.U2tvLCjDVWk
  • Options

@JossaisJessup

"There is sadly some truth in that. The railways are a massively complex system, perhaps more so than banking. They've operated best when railwaymen are promoted up through the system into operational management roles - for instance Chris Green at Network South East. Promote the ablest, and train them for a role above. The top guys have to be very sharp, for instance the excellent Peter Parker"

Peter Parker is a name I remember from the past, and I don't remember his time in charge of British Rail as being particularly fruitful, just more of the same strikes and under-investment and what money there was being badly spent. In case my memory was playing me false, I have just looked him up. A French born socialist who trained as a historian and who had no connection with the railways until he was made chairman. So not an engineer and not a railway man. Are you sure you quoted the right bloke because he doesn't seem to fit the sort of fellow you argue for.

Yep, I've got the right guy. Note in my comment I differentiated between 'operational management roles' and 'top guys'. There is, in my mind at least, a difference.

Peter Parker arguably set the first stones in place to rebuild the railways into the ?success? we see today. He let the managers under him do their jobs, whilst ruthlessly backing them up in negotiations with government.

Most importantly, he saw the role of new technology as being vital and reorganised the railways into sectors, which I have praised passim. I have never heard a railwayman - even the union men who were so against him whilst he was in charge - have a bad word to say about him.

He started to turn the railways into a professional organisation after the trauma of nationalisation, and started looking at what its customers wanted, rather than what tradition demand they take.

His time in charge was not the end of the decline, but the first steps in stalling it.
  • Options

shadsy said:

My Eurovision thread should be up tomorrow evening.

Everybody loves Eurovision.

My Eurovision thread last year was one of pb's most viewed threads last year.
    Surely its Shadsy's job to price up Eurovision given it must surely come under 'Politics with a bit of cabaret'- like when Tony Blair or John Redwood sings the Red Flag/Welsh anthem
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

isam said:

shadsy said:

If the Scots get independence, do we get to engage in some tactical voting when they have their own entry?

Knowing our luck they probably won't give the rUK any points though...
  • Options
    edited May 2014

isam said:

shadsy said:

Best price 200/1.. They're almost over the line!

9/1 a top 10 finish
    50/1 Top Nordic

Girl I am seeing considers herself an expert on this, and she said Iceland were very good while we were watching it

http://www.oddschecker.com/tv/eurovision/winner
  • Options
    Newark constituency census data, 2011:

Total population: 98,937

Total aged 18+: 78,885

Total aged 50+: 40,169
    Percentage of voting age population aged 50+: 50.9%

(a) This doesn't take into account the fact that older people are more likely to vote.
    (b) The population will have aged slightly since 2011.

Therefore the majority of voters voting in the Newark by-election will probably be roughly over 55 years of age.

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=6508025&c=newark&d=27&e=61&g=6456174&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1399549367236&enc=1&dsFamilyId=2545
  • Options

< snipped for space >

People who are so up themselves that they have to proclaim their (mistaken) superiority over others by painting the tops of the chimneys copper.

with the sublime:
    or:

(Note: this post may be slightly affected by personal biases. The latter colour schemes are not prototypical, and the first possibly the result of a rather drunken night out. Caveat emptor).

I rather like the hideously flashy, but then I have always had a soft spot for God's Wonderful Railway. Aside from anything else I believe England made a grave mistake when it abandoned a Brunel's vision and forced GWR to convert to the "coal-cart gauge".

As an aside, can I just point out that we have several interesting discussions about railways on here in the last couple of weeks. This at a time when perhaps the site's foremost railway enthusiast is away for in India for his brother's wedding. Young Dr. Sunil will be spitting feathers when he finds out what he has missed and I think his contributions would have been worthwhile. So raise a glass today to absent friends.
  • Options

isam said:

shadsy said:

If the Scots get independence, do we get to engage in some tactical voting when they have their own entry?

We should always vote for either the best or worst entry of the evening.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

isam said:

shadsy said:

Never underestimate the Swedish - Sanna Nielsen might be adding to their five previous wins with her moody epic 'Undo'.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

shadsy said:

Get trading bet.

• Options
    edited May 2014

< snipped for space >

with the sublime:
    or:

I rather like the hideously flashy, but then I have always had a soft spot for God's Wonderful Railway. Aside from anything else I believe England made a grave mistake when it abandoned a Brunel's vision and forced GWR to convert to the "coal-cart gauge".

As an aside, can I just point out that we have several interesting discussions about railways on here in the last couple of weeks. This at a time when perhaps the site's foremost railway enthusiast is away for in India for his brother's wedding. Young Dr. Sunil will be spitting feathers when he finds out what he has missed and I think his contributions would have been worthwhile. So raise a glass today to absent friends.
    A bloke at work is retiring soon and is a train buff. Thinking of getting him a suitable book as a surprise leaving present but want it to be both something he would value (ie worthy of his avid interest and knowledge) and something he would probably have not got already.

Any ideas from train people ?
  • Options
    shadsy said:

Best price only two acts and the worst each way odds? Have a word!
  • Options
    England take on Scotland in a one dayer tomorrow.

Can anyone see any markets on this? I want to back Scotland.

I assume whatever the result of the match it will be great for The Independence movement ?
  • Options

< snipped for space >

with the sublime:
    or:

A bloke at work is retiring soon and is a train buff. Thinking of getting him a suitable book as a surprise leaving present but want it to be both something he would value (ie worthy of his avid interest and knowledge) and something he would probably have not got already.

Do you know his interests? Locomotives? Infrastructure? Historic? Modern? Modelling?

If he is an expert, or even interested, then he might already have most of the books. So perhaps book tokens?

However, if he is interested in modern railways and you do not mind spending a little dosh, then a rail rover ticket might go down rather well.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr20780b0a0400020167ed620a7e504e.aspx
  • Options

< snipped for space >

with the sublime:
    or:

Don't leave home without it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bradshaws-Guide-1866-Handbook-Reprinted/dp/1908174056
  • Options

isam said:

shadsy said:

Has Salmond refuted that Scotland would have to pre- qualify for the Eurovision (as not one of the BIg 5) ?
  • Options

Agree about Sunil. Shame he's not on atm.

However I'm afraid you and I might be having a little argument, Mr Llama. I can take your visceral dislike of Cameron, and even your flirtatious dalliances with UKIP. These are all understandable, if regrettable, opinions, and I'm hopeful you might soon see the error of your ways and come back to the true faith.

But admitting that you have always had a soft spot for the GWR is beyond the pail. You are now nothing to me. go - you are banished!
  • Options

@JossaisJessup

Yep, I've got the right guy. Note in my comment I differentiated between 'operational management roles' and 'top guys'. There is, in my mind at least, a difference.

Peter Parker arguably set the first stones in place to rebuild the railways into the ?success? we see today. He let the managers under him do their jobs, whilst ruthlessly backing them up in negotiations with government.

Most importantly, he saw the role of new technology as being vital and reorganised the railways into sectors, which I have praised passim. I have never heard a railwayman - even the union men who were so against him whilst he was in charge - have a bad word to say about him.

He started to turn the railways into a professional organisation after the trauma of nationalisation, and started looking at what its customers wanted, rather than what tradition demand they take.

His time in charge was not the end of the decline, but the first steps in stalling it.
    Thanks for that, Mr. J., helps me put another piece into the puzzle of my memory and to understand what was actually going on in the events I lived through.
  • Options
    isam said:

< snipped for space >

with the sublime:
    or:

Thanks is that the Portillo book? If so, isn't it more of a travel guide than a train one as such ? A sort of Victorian Rough Guide?
    Thanks for suggestion anyway
  • Options

However, perhaps it was actually a more subtle insult - they believed the English to be cowards. Fascinating stuff.

That's very possible.

After all, we used to insist on standing at the top of a hill firing pointy sticks at them rather than fighting like real men.
  • Options

isam said:

< snipped for space >

with the sublime:
    or:

Thanks is that the Portillo book? If so, isn't it more of a travel guide than a train one as such ? A sort of Victorian Rough Guide?
    Thanks for suggestion anyway
    Yes it is.. I am modelling it in my avatar!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

It's also unpleasant and inaccurate.

Lefties are wrong. They are not retarded. There is a difference.
  • Options

< snipped for space >

with the sublime:
    or:

I am not sure I can be much help, Dr. Sunil is probably our best source on such things but I suspect Mr. Jessop might have a few ideas.

One thought though. Young Sunil has often mentioned a Railway Atlas that showed where the railways used to be and how they have changed over time. I can't recall the details of the book and have no idea how much it might cost. It is however, the sort of book I would love to receive as a present, not least because whilst I might love to own such a thing I could never justify buying it for myself.
  • Options

< snipped for space >

with the sublime:
    or:

Do you know his interests? Locomotives? Infrastructure? Historic? Modern? Modelling?

If he is an expert, or even interested, then he might already have most of the books. So perhaps book tokens?

However, if he is interested in modern railways and you do not mind spending a little dosh, then a rail rover ticket might go down rather well.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr20780b0a0400020167ed620a7e504e.aspx
    He is into most aspects ie stations , trains . Never heard him go on about the good ole days of steam but talks mostly about modern trains so maybe a more modern centred book?
  • Options

< snipped for space >

with the sublime:
    or:

I am not sure I can be much help, Dr. Sunil is probably our best source on such things but I suspect Mr. Jessop might have a few ideas.

One thought though. Young Sunil has often mentioned a Railway Atlas that showed where the railways used to be and how they have changed over time. I can't recall the details of the book and have no idea how much it might cost. It is however, the sort of book I would love to receive as a present, not least because whilst I might love to own such a thing I could never justify buying it for myself.
    I've got 'Ian Allan's Pre-grouping atlas and gazetteer' on my bookcase, and very useful it is too.

But Sunil's got a different one. Sadly I can't remember the one he recommends (and has contributed to).

But it's a good idea, an ideal gift for a railway nut. Ian Allen's is linked to below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Rail-Pre-grouping-Atlas-Gazetteer/dp/0711003203/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399551083&sr=8-1
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

shadsy said:

Get trading bet.

Hmm I could lay off stake at 430 for a zero risk bet to win £969.55. Unfortunately I don't have the required £9030.45 in my bank D: !
  • Options

< snipped for space >

with the sublime:
    or:

I've got 'Ian Allan's Pre-grouping atlas and gazetteer' on my bookcase, and very useful it is too.

But Sunil's got a different one. Sadly I can't remember the one he recommends (and has contributed to).

But it's a good idea, an ideal gift for a railway nut. Ian Allen's is linked to below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Rail-Pre-grouping-Atlas-Gazetteer/dp/0711003203/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399551083&sr=8-1
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options

However I'm afraid you and I might be having a little argument, Mr Llama. I can take your visceral dislike of Cameron, and even your flirtatious dalliances with UKIP. These are all understandable, if regrettable, opinions, and I'm hopeful you might soon see the error of your ways and come back to the true faith.

But admitting that you have always had a soft spot for the GWR is beyond the pail. You are now nothing to me. go - you are banished!
    Well, perhaps I can redeem myself in your eyes by buying you serious quantities of ale and listening to you expound on the need for HS2 in That pub in Cambridge. I had actually hoped to be able to do that this week, but a combination of factors has meant that my trip has had to be postponed. Nevermind, I'll get there in due course.

Meanwhile:

*slinks off, a coart*
  • Options
    Frank Furedi in Spiked:

"Why the propaganda war on UKIP has failed

Farage's popularity exposes the aloofness of the political class":

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/why-the-propaganda-war-on-ukip-has-failed/14984#.U2tpe1eh5wF
  • Options
    O/T

This is an interesting article about the dangers of skunk. A friend of mine underwent a similar change in his teens - dropped out of school, skipped his A Levels and basically missed out on 10 years of life before getting back on track & studying at Brighton Uni...

Separately - and more disturbingly - if you look at the local newspapers and the other times his mother has written this story, the boy is called Aaron. Why would the Mail feel the need to rename him Henry? There's a pretty obvious explanation - but I hope it's not true. Can anyone else think of an alternative one?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2622755/The-mothers-story-says-cannabis-harmless-MUST-read-Henry-came-wealthy-family-golden-future-life-tatters-thanks-drug.html
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

shadsy said:

Get trading bet.

Hmm I could lay off stake at 430 for a zero risk bet to win £969.55. Unfortunately I don't have the required £9030.45 in my bank D: !
    Over what time period?
  • Options
    I like this paragraph from the Furedi article I posted below:

"It is not merely the case that, when it comes to UKIP, the establishment doesn’t get it. The establishment also can’t get it, because to acknowledge the genuine dynamic behind UKIP’s support would mean facing up to its own isolation from large sections of the British public. In reality, the failure of the current media campaign against UKIP shows that the members of the political establishment are confronted by a substantial group of voters whose values and way of life contradict their social etiquette and cultural assumptions. However, rather than face up to its isolation from a significant section of the electorate, the political class continues to evade taking responsibility for its own failures."
  • Options

Well, perhaps I can redeem myself in your eyes by buying you serious quantities of ale and listening to you expound on the need for HS2 in That pub in Cambridge. I had actually hoped to be able to do that this week, but a combination of factors has meant that my trip has had to be postponed. Nevermind, I'll get there in due course.

Meanwhile:

*slinks off, a coart*
    You think I can be bought off with a few pints, even in the luxurious surroundings of the Baron of Beef or the Eagle? You think I could be bribed in such an obviously hideous way?

You know me too well ... ;-)
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Charles said:

O/T

This is an interesting article about the dangers of skunk. A friend of mine underwent a similar change in his teens - dropped out of school, skipped his A Levels and basically missed out on 10 years of life before getting back on track & studying at Brighton Uni...

Separately - and more disturbingly - if you look at the local newspapers and the other times his mother has written this story, the boy is called Aaron. Why would the Mail feel the need to rename him Henry? There's a pretty obvious explanation - but I hope it's not true. Can anyone else think of an alternative one?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2622755/The-mothers-story-says-cannabis-harmless-MUST-read-Henry-came-wealthy-family-golden-future-life-tatters-thanks-drug.html

A terrible story, and the existence of cannabis psychosis plus the damage done to the body by smoking cannabis with or without tobacco make it as dangerous as heroin.

OTOH the mother is hilariously full of herself: "Henry was a cherished and privileged child. My husband Lloyd - Henry's father - had his own household and hair products company and we had glorious homes in London and Monaco, where my work with charities brought me into contact with royalty."

and

"Our GP suspected he was suffering from schizophrenia and we arranged to take him to a private psychiatric hospital in Northamptonshire, but when we were due to fly, Henry was gripped by the most horrifying psychosis.
    In the end we had to charter a private jet costing £16,000."

"Had to" charter a jet to get from London to Northamptonshire?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Charles said:

MikeK said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

Mr. Charles, Are you quite sure that the "-ard" bit is from "Retard"? There is, rather a lot of evidence that the use of such a suffix has no such connection and, indeed, long pre-dates the very modern and very American use of "Retard" as a noun to describe a person with serious learning difficulties.
  • Options
    The argument now seems to be that if you don’t want to eat halal meat then you’re Islamophobic. In short, not being a Muslim is now an act of Islamophobia. Strewth.

raph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100270578/my-compulsory-halal-pizza-is-hard-to-swallow/

Good blog. Wake up Britain before we are under sharia law by default.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    MikeK said:

The argument now seems to be that if you don’t want to eat halal meat then you’re Islamophobic. In short, not being a Muslim is now an act of Islamophobia. Strewth.

raph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100270578/my-compulsory-halal-pizza-is-hard-to-swallow/

What exactly would be wrong with eating halal meat? Serious question.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

OTOH the mother is hilariously full of herself:

I know. Made me smile.
  • Options

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

Mr. Charles, Are you quite sure that the "-ard" bit is from "Retard"? There is, rather a lot of evidence that the use of such a suffix has no such connection and, indeed, long pre-dates the very modern and very American use of "Retard" as a noun to describe a person with serious learning difficulties.
    In this context, yes.

It started in America (doesn't it always) where it was "Libtard", a perjorative description used for Democrats. It then mutated into our own charming form.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/libtard
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Nothing, but people should have the right to be told whether they are eating Halal meat or not.

Personally I'd prefer not to eat meat that was killed according to a religious law I do not believe in.

If others want to eat halal meat only that is a matter for them, but I should have the right to abstain if I wish.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

MikeK said:

The cruelty with which the animals are killed.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

MikeK said:

Nothing, as long as you knew that is what you are doing. Some people have beliefs that animals should not, whilst conscious, have their throats slit and might, indeed, object to that method of slaughter. Surely such people should not be forced, unknowingly, to go along with it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MikeK said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

True; not all lefties are retarded, but there are a hell of a lot that are.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

True; not all lefties are retarded, but there are a hell of a lot that are.
    That's an interesting (Some may say controversial) statement, can you back it up with any evidence ?
  • Options
    Once again ordinary people have been insulted by the failure to label halal meat in supermarkets.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Jon Cruddas articulating the feelings of many of the working class

Have to admire Cruddas, he seems light years away from many other Labour politicians and supporters

"They feel abandoned, and Ukip is exploiting this mood in Labour's English heartlands, the ex-industrial areas in which decent work and the old culture of the working class have been devastated.

The consequences of this devastation can be seen in the stagnation and fall in wages, in the rise of low-skilled, low-paid work, in workplace stress, in loss of community, and in the growing levels of mental illness. People are working longer and harder for less. They are angry about the high levels of immigration, where concerns about the effects on jobs and wages – real enough – mask a deeper sense of people losing control over their lives.

They are angry about the benefits system, not for lack of generosity but because they believe the system has lost the contributory principle that made it fair. And they believe that parliament is theirs and that it is the sovereign expression of their country but that it has ignored them for years.

Across England there is a desire for a sense of permanence and security. The English are independent-minded but they feel powerless to shape the future of their country. They have lost trust in politics because politics lost interest in them"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/08/ukip-tory-movement-disenfranchised-english-labour?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    Flip the halal message over.

Imagine a butchers shop that had a sign saying 'none of our meat is halal'.

Then imagine the leftie firestorm...

'butchers of hate etc.'
  • Options
    Charles said:

Danny565 said:

MikeK said:

The cruelty with which the animals are killed.
    That's not the problem or the argument. The problem is that halal meat is being served up to the public by stealth. The argument is that our modern British society is frightened of offending 4% of the population because they are muslims. Please do read the blog!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Danny565 said:

MikeK said:

Cruelty to animals. I want to know what kind of meat and other food I'm eating. Halal and kosher slaughter is, to my mind, unnecessarily cruel to the animal. I don't want to eat such meat and want to have the knowledge to make that choice. I see no reason why meat for the majority should be killed in accordance with the laws of small religious minorities, when we have laws against animal cruelty.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited May 2014
    Deleted due to my disgust at all religious belief colouring my usual bright outlook
  • Options
    Please do read the blog

How can anybody be offended? we're not saying people can;t eat halal if they want to (are we?)

All we're asking is for labelling, so that we can punish companies that do not cater for our tastes.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    As well as the cruelty issue several religions ban eating of meat sacrificed to other gods. Sikhs are one, but Christians sometimes interpret 1Corinthians 10:28 this way:

http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/10-28.htm

A lot of Christians would hold that the God of the Koran is not the God of the New Testament.

But whatever your view there should be no argument that it should be labelled.

Danny565 said:

MikeK said:

Nothing, as long as you knew that is what you are doing. Some people have beliefs that animals should not, whilst conscious, have their throats slit and might, indeed, object to that method of slaughter. Surely such people should not be forced, unknowingly, to go along with it.
This discussion has been closed.