Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Populus monthly aggregates show LAB losing a seventh of

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Labour PPB still being discussed widely in the media,which suggests it's getting to the target group who also believe that Tories are malignant,upper-class oicks and that if you Vote LibDem,Get a Tory.

It's getting dark out there. Keep whistling....

• Options
    WelshBertieWelshBertie Posts: 124

Labour PPB still being discussed widely in the media,which suggests it's getting to the target group who also believe that Tories are malignant,upper-class oicks and that if you Vote LibDem,Get a Tory.

It's getting dark out there. Keep whistling....

The core vote who were going to vote for them anyway?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Miss Vance, the bankers' bonus tax is Labour's quantum policy: it's simultaneously used to fund multiple commitments, until the policy is observed, at which point it can only fund one.

Beautifully put.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

"09:00 In Our Time: Melvyn Bragg and his guests discuss the Second Sino-Japanese War. bbc.in/1iZLl3E"

https://mobile.twitter.com/onradio4now

I do believe that Bragg is one of the greatest broadcasters of the last 30 years. The 'In Our Time' programmes are just brilliant and fulfill every part of the 'public service' broadcasting that should be the BBC's first priority.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    When the word "racism" was changed to mean whatever lefties wanted it to, it was inevitable this would happen

Khalid Khan UKIP ‏@KhanUKIP 8h
    White middle class #Leftard protesters yelling 'racist' at Black Asian and Ethnic #UKIP candidates including me today pic.twitter.com/IrPmJeWARO
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    I get Roger Helmer's regular email newsletter. Today's is fun, because it awkwardly tries to skate over the fact that the UKIP campaign is asking us to vote for a list headed by someone who actually wants to be an MP instead. So Helmer says the UKIP Euro-campaign is having a wonderful reception in the East Midlands, offering as the specific example his reception in Newark, which wasn't about the Euro-campaign at all...
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    A few new betting options for the Scottish Euro Election region.

Scotland
    1/4 Conservatives to win a seat
    3/1 Conservatives to win 0 seats
    2/1 UKIP to win a seat
    1/3 UKIP to win 0 seats
    5/1 Lib Dems to win a seat
    1/10 Lib Dems to win 0 seats
    1/3 SNP to win more votes than Labour
    9/4 Labour to win more votes than SNP

http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/European-Parliament-Elections/2014-UK-Euro-Parliamentary-Elections/Politics-N-1z140x5Z1z140wwZ1z141ne/
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

AndyJS said:

Surely the question is why aren't Labour picking up any votes from people who voted Conservative in 2010?

Around the time of the Omnishambles budget and the triple dip that wasn't Labour did attract many Conservative 2010 voters, but they have now swing back or gone to UKIP.

It did turn out to be a triple dip in the end I think - was revised back to -0.1 or some such
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    isam said:

When the word "racism" was changed to mean whatever lefties wanted it to, it was inevitable this would happen

White middle class #Leftard protesters yelling 'racist' at Black Asian and Ethnic #UKIP candidates including me today pic.twitter.com/IrPmJeWARO

Love the use of the word "Leftard" there. It's like retard, isn't it? Nice one!

Anyone who takes the SWP seriously is a bit of a tool IMHO.

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    isam said:

It's a shame that, when he wants to make a (fair) point about ill-judged epithets, he does so himself. It's not the Leftie bit that grates (unlike PB Tories most Lefties are happy enough to be described as such) but the 'ard bit... What's the etymology of that, do you think?
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    shadsy said:

Scotland
    2/1 UKIP to win a seat
    1/3 UKIP to win 0 seats

http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/European-Parliament-Elections/2014-UK-Euro-Parliamentary-Elections/Politics-N-1z140x5Z1z140wwZ1z141ne/

Thanks Shadsy. As usual, your prices look about right, which is a bit of a bugger for punters looking for some tasty value.

The only possible tempters are that 1/3 UKIP to win zero seats, or perhaps that 9/4 Labour to win more votes than SNP (7/4 might be the right price).
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Thanks Stuart. Dare I suggest that the lack of a viable media in Scotland capable of surviving in such a small pool and holding a rather authoritarian executive to account is yet another reason to vote no?

Everything about politics, indeed I find increasingly everything about Scottish life seems to be revolving around the vote in September. Voting intention will mean very little until that is determined.

Quite the opposite , a hostile oppressive lying London Media and a pathetic Westminster government mean it is imperative that everyone votes YES to save Scotland in September. YES for democracy.
    Ah the blame game and buck passing never stops. Natland - where a big boy did it and ran away.
    Flash is all out of witty comments nowadays , bankrupt like his heroes.
    One wonders how the scotch whisky industry has survived the jackboot of the London gin empire remorselessly stamping down on it's throat ?

Quality dear boy
    Been rumbled malc ? Still its better than your endless posts running down Scotland, trying to invent a mentality that us Jocks can't thrive.

LOL, you really are deluded Flash. Looking forward to the possibility that the ex Rangers will one day meet the real Rangers in the junior cup.
    Top tip malc - never play poker. We know when you have a weak hand.

• Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    shadsy said:

Scotland

2/1 UKIP to win a seat
    1/3 UKIP to win 0 seats

Hi Shadsy

Can I put in a request for prices on both. Sutton and Kingston councils both currently run by the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    Singer-songwriter Billy Bragg is to feature at the Fringe show this summer organised by the National Collective, the grassroots artists' movement in favour of Scottish independence.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/billy-bragg-to-feature-in-national-collectives-fringe-show.1399535089
  • Options

isam said:

Nice use of the word "tool"... takes one to know one

I guess he is just angry about being called a racist by people who have no idea what it is to be on the receiving end of racism

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On the infamous Labour PPB, what is most striking to me is the quite extraordinary shamelessness of the party. How they maintain their hypocrisy when it is so blatant is always a source of wonder to me - they are true professionals at it. Even though I should be used to it by now, I couldn't but be impressed at the dissonance between the PPB and what the party's chief campaign coordinator has been saying:

"For the next 18 months we've got to fight a campaign based around optimism and confidence, challenging the cynicism and defeatism abroad in Britain today,"
    The party will also highlight what Alexander calls the Tories' "relentlessly pessimistic and negative" campaigning... Alexander explains Labour's dual track approach – attacking the Tories for pessimism while offering an upbeat message about its own plans.
    "The style of politics that Damian McBride represents has been discredited and Labour has moved on," he says.

How do they manage to keep a straight face saying things like that?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/sep/20/douglas-alexander-ronald-reagan-labour
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I still think there is a atrong tactical anti Tory vote that has existed since atleast 1997 and people on the left side of the Lib Dems will support Labour where they can't win. And Labour voters will support Lib Dem in some seats, even if it leads to another Lib Dem/Tory coalition.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Singer-songwriter Billy Bragg is to feature at the Fringe show this summer organised by the National Collective, the grassroots artists' movement in favour of Scottish independence.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/billy-bragg-to-feature-in-national-collectives-fringe-show.1399535089

Are they sending a chauffeur to Dorset to pick him up from his pile ?

http://ianbone.wordpress.com/2013/08/01/billy-braggs-house-in-dorset/

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    BobaFett said:

AndyJS said:

Surely the question is why aren't Labour picking up any votes from people who voted Conservative in 2010?

Around the time of the Omnishambles budget and the triple dip that wasn't Labour did attract many Conservative 2010 voters, but they have now swing back or gone to UKIP.

It did turn out to be a triple dip in the end I think - was revised back to -0.1 or some such
    Nope I thought they worked out it wasn't even a double dip.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Sad news - Mars Mission Scientist Colin Pillinger has died.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

It's a shame that, when he wants to make a (fair) point about ill-judged epithets, he does so himself. It's not the Leftie bit that grates (unlike PB Tories most Lefties are happy enough to be described as such) but the 'ard bit... What's the etymology of that, do you think?
    Agree. Terms like "leftard" really mark someone out as not being worth listening to.

For the record, there's quite a difference between "leftie" and "Tory" - one marks you out for having views on one side of the spectrum, the other denotes being a supporter of a party. I think most (if not all) of those called "PB Tories" would be happy with being called a "rightie".
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

People who have suffered racism being called racists by people who have never experienced it are entitled to be angry, and use words that vent their anger.

At least you acknowledged the absurdity, unlike the blinkered observer
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    TGOHF said:

Are they sending a chauffeur to Dorset to pick him up from his pile ?

http://ianbone.wordpress.com/2013/08/01/billy-braggs-house-in-dorset/

Nah, the Nats will give Bragg's intervention the same warm welcome they gave David Bowie's intervention.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I guess he is just angry about being called a racist by people who have no idea what it is to be on the receiving end of racism

He's being wound up by morons. Leftard, retard, nice.

• Options

British jobs for British workers!

The Labour PPB director is a "Labour voter" resident in Los Angeles:

http://riccantor.com/bio/

But hang on a minute! Labour believe in a filtered immigration system for Americans! Aren't they massive hypocrites!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    The Labour PPB was created by a new agency, Lucky Generals.

But a year ago they were after Private Equity clients:

Nairn says: "We want to focus on clients that are on a mission – we don’t want clients that want incremental change."

In particular, clients that are in the private equity space.

Calcraft says: "Private equity companies tend to be more audacious. They have huge ambitions here – to look for growth. We’ve worked with them in the past. A lot of agencies tend to be put off by them because of the aggressive nature of their targets and the accountability they demand. But we actively enjoy that kind of challenge because it plays to our ambition and skills."

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/1181316/

I wonder how much Private Equity business they will get now?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

I get Roger Helmer's regular email newsletter. Today's is fun, because it awkwardly tries to skate over the fact that the UKIP campaign is asking us to vote for a list headed by someone who actually wants to be an MP instead. So Helmer says the UKIP Euro-campaign is having a wonderful reception in the East Midlands, offering as the specific example his reception in Newark, which wasn't about the Euro-campaign at all...

Come on Nick!. I also get Roger's newsletter and he mentions the fact quite squarely that he standing for both the constituency of Newark and as an MEP (which he has already said that he would resign his MEP seat if he won Newark). Below is some of what he wrote:

"With the euro-election campaign in full swing, I don’t have time for a regular newsletter in May. But here are some thoughts on current developments.

Newark By-Election

You’ll have heard I’ve been selected to fight Newark. I am both proud and humbled. This is a huge opportunity both for the party and for the voters of Newark. I’m hoping they’ll lead the change that’s sweeping through British politics, and send a message to Westminster that the legacy parties can’t ignore. Watch this space.

An amazing reception for UKIP

I’ve been an MEP for fifteen years, and this is my fourth euro-election. I can honestly say that I am bowled over by the public reaction: packed meetings, positive responses on the doorstep and in the street, people walking up and asking for leaflets, assuring us of their support, telling us to keep up the good work. I’ve never known anything like it. This morning (April 30th) I was in Newark Market Square doing media interviews following the resignation of local Tory MP Patrick Mercer, and I lost count of the local people who wanted to talk to us and express their support. Occasionally I’m having to pinch myself to confirm it’s real."

• Options
    As someone who has been accused of being a bleeding heart, bed wetting liberal when it comes to sentencing, when even I think knife crime sentencing needs to be harsher, can anyone why Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems are against it?

Even the Met Commissioner has had a go.

Met chief backs Conservative plans to toughen law on knife crime - and says Clegg wrong to oppose them
    Here's the quote from Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, the Metropolitan police commissioner.

• Hogan-Howe said he supported Conservative proposals to toughen the law for possession of a knife. Nick Clegg was wrong about this, he said. Hogan-Howe said mandatory minimum jail sentences sent out a very clear message to gang members, and that this had had an impact on gun crime.

I'm afraid I don't agree with [Clegg]. There sometimes can be an excuse, or a reasonable excuse, for carrying a knife; people who are working, electricians, obviously they need to carry knifes. We all understand that. And occasionally somebody, by mistake, might take into the street a knife that they had at home or at work. We all understand that.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2014/may/08/nick-clegg-hosts-his-lbc-phone-in-politics-live-blog#block-536b4384e4b09c36ae815c5f
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

He's being wound up by morons. Leftard, retard, nice.

I know the feeling
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. Eagles, I don't think the Commissioner should be making political statements.

It's not quite as bad as when the slimy Iain Blair overtly supported Labour policy in... 2005, I think it was, during the actual election campaign, but still. The police need to be less politically involved, not more.
  • Options

The positive case for independence:

The more Tory prospects improve in England (and Wales) so the prospect of a Tory government in Westminster will be used to send Scots scurrying for the comforts of independence. It’s all part of the positive case for independence, don’t you know?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/05/rising-tory-hidden-danger-david-cameron-is-doing-too-much-too-well/

He's only 10 months late, some wise fellow wrote last July.

An improving economy: The biggest threat to the future of the UK?

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/07/21/an-improving-economy-the-biggest-threat-to-the-future-of-the-uk/
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486

Sad news - Mars Mission Scientist Colin Pillinger has died.

That is sad, one of the few genuine eccentrics in science.
  • Options
    At what stage does a "leftie" become a "leftard"? It's an interesting one.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I don't think the Commissioner should be making political statements.

It's not quite as bad as when the slimy Iain Blair overtly supported Labour policy in... 2005, I think it was, during the actual election campaign, but still. The police need to be less politically involved, not more.

Iain Blair, who deserves to be publicly waterboarded for his contributions when Parliament was voting to detain suspects for 90 days without charge
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

Leftie is fine. Leftard is not.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2014
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Thanks Stuart. Dare I suggest that the lack of a viable media in Scotland capable of surviving in such a small pool and holding a rather authoritarian executive to account is yet another reason to vote no?

Everything about politics, indeed I find increasingly everything about Scottish life seems to be revolving around the vote in September. Voting intention will mean very little until that is determined.

Quite the opposite , a hostile oppressive lying London Media and a pathetic Westminster government mean it is imperative that everyone votes YES to save Scotland in September. YES for democracy.
    Ah the blame game and buck passing never stops. Natland - where a big boy did it and ran away.
    Nor would this stop after a Yes vote. It would get more frequent and more shrill. Mugabe, comparably, is still blaming Britain for everything bad that happens in Zimbabwe, thirty years after he took over and what, 50-odd years after independence.

83% of Scotland voted for envy parties in 2010. This is sustainable for as long as there is someone whose money you envy and whom you can judicially expropriate. When this stops, you turn into Zimbabwe or North Korea.

Good.
  • Options

It's a nasty nasty word, and one Mike has rightly banned from PB.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, so it was 90 days? That was nuts. I seem to recall being outraged, but the dates didn't fit with the ID cards insanity, so 90 days makes sense.
  • Options

Mr. G, what is the evidence there will be a currency union post-Yes?

Miss Vance, the bankers' bonus tax is Labour's quantum policy: it's simultaneously used to fund multiple commitments, until the policy is observed, at which point it can only fund one.

Superb

• Options

Mr. Eagles, so it was 90 days? That was nuts. I seem to recall being outraged, but the dates didn't fit with the ID cards insanity, so 90 days makes sense.

November 2005

Blair is attacked for lobbying MPs to support government proposals to hold terrorist suspects for 90 days, amid accusations he has politicised the service.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2008/oct/02/police.menezes1
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,738

I think the Lib Dem riposte is better:

http://youtu.be/u7ax683aI-U

If you want a slightly more serious riposte to both of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-mUomPzpfo
  • Options

The positive case for independence:

The more Tory prospects improve in England (and Wales) so the prospect of a Tory government in Westminster will be used to send Scots scurrying for the comforts of independence. It’s all part of the positive case for independence, don’t you know?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/05/rising-tory-hidden-danger-david-cameron-is-doing-too-much-too-well/

He's only 10 months late, some wise fellow wrote last July.

An improving economy: The biggest threat to the future of the UK?

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/07/21/an-improving-economy-the-biggest-threat-to-the-future-of-the-uk/
    And you were only 10 years late.

Any halfwit could see that CON doing well in the GB-wide polling was bad news for the Unionist camp.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles

Case after case in sentencing is a joke in the UK. How about this evil woman, who forced children as young as 13 into sexual slavery and was found guilty for 16 separate cases of child prostitution, likely entailing hundreds of individual rapes:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-20532355

Just 12 years in jail, and she'll be out by the time she's 35. Nine months for each charge of child prostitution.

That's the problem with this country. Decent, innocent people can have their privacy horrendously intruded upon by the government with no cause, yet the truly evil that have done unspeakable crimes get to walk the streets freely for most of their lives.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Will Labour show any sympathy for these bankers, or are all bankers evil?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27321589

Most of those jobs won't be bankers in the sense that most people understand but support staff on moderate salary and precious little bonus.
    Indeed. Sadly, Labour and their fellow haters seem incapable of making such a distinction. Which is odd, considering several of them worked in finance and banking. But perhaps they didn't associate with the plebs?
    Oh I just think it boils down to the fact that nuance is a harder sell.
    In the translated words of St. Augustine: hate the sin, love the sinner. Sadly, Labour loved and covet the profits the banks made (and still do), but spreads hatred of the bankers.

Therefore their policy is love the sin, hate the sinner. Even when the 'sinner' is a lowly bank teller.
    Pretty much. Labour deregulated the City so it would generate the profits, hence the salaries the income taxes they needed to fund their client state. The client state is still there with its hand stretched out for money, but unfortunately the bonuses and income tax on them, not so much. So Labour can either blame itself for failing to regulate the banks properly or it can blame the banks for, er, well, something or other.

Once again its prejudices instruct it unerringly.
  • Options

It's a nasty nasty word, and one Mike has rightly banned from PB.

Indeed. I think most on here would recognise that it is a pretty vile term, that does those who use and/or excuse it no credit. That's one of the reasons why I would not ban its use. But it's not my site, of course.

• Options

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Nor would this stop after a Yes vote. It would get more frequent and more shrill. Mugabe, comparably, is still blaming Britain for everything bad that happens in Zimbabwe, thirty years after he took over and what, 50-odd years after independence.

83% of Scotland voted for envy parties in 2010. This is sustainable for as long as there is someone whose money you envy and whom you can judicially expropriate. When this stops, you turn into Zimbabwe or North Korea.

Good.
    Why do you hate Scots so much? Is it something from your childhood? Perhaps you are still going through your childhood?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

-ard is a respectable suffix indicating a member of a characteristic group, as in coward, dullard and drunkard.
  • Options

As someone who has been accused of being a bleeding heart, bed wetting liberal when it comes to sentencing, when even I think knife crime sentencing needs to be harsher, can anyone why Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems are against it?

The proposal is unnecessary, authoritarian and expensive. It unnecessarily fetters judicial discretion, and will substantially increase the prison population at a time when 'there is no money left'. There is already a mandatory minimum sentence of six months for threatening a person in a public place or on school premises when the offender has a knife or offensive weapon in their possession (s. 139AA(1) of the Criminal Justice Act 1988). The reality is that the 'good reason' defence to a charge of possession of a bladed article in a public place has been very restrictively interpreted against the liberty of the subject. This proposal is yet more naked authoritarianism from Grayling and should be opposed.
  • Options
    Mr. Lennon, best video of the three, but I was disappointed by the absence of eyepatches, parrots, 18th century pistols and frisky wenches (particularly the latter).

Mr. Eagles, indeed. Iain Blair was an utter arse. Saw him on the Sky paper review a little while ago. Kept giggling and talking over Julia Hartley-Brewer. Came across as quite a merry fellow.

Mr. Mark, and Mr. Pubgoer, thanks. Unfortunately certain lines I think of are too anachronistic for my comedy (I had to remove my favourite line, about something being as tempting as a handjob from Edward Scissorhands, alas) so it's nice to be able to use them here instead.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Come on Nick!. I also get Roger's newsletter and he mentions the fact quite squarely that he standing for both the constituency of Newark and as an MEP (which he has already said that he would resign his MEP seat if he won Newark). Below is some of what he wrote:

"With the euro-election campaign in full swing, I don’t have time for a regular newsletter in May. But here are some thoughts on current developments.

Newark By-Election

You’ll have heard I’ve been selected to fight Newark. I am both proud and humbled. This is a huge opportunity both for the party and for the voters of Newark. I’m hoping they’ll lead the change that’s sweeping through British politics, and send a message to Westminster that the legacy parties can’t ignore. Watch this space.

An amazing reception for UKIP

I’ve been an MEP for fifteen years, and this is my fourth euro-election. I can honestly say that I am bowled over by the public reaction: packed meetings, positive responses on the doorstep and in the street, people walking up and asking for leaflets, assuring us of their support, telling us to keep up the good work. I’ve never known anything like it. This morning (April 30th) I was in Newark Market Square doing media interviews following the resignation of local Tory MP Patrick Mercer, and I lost count of the local people who wanted to talk to us and express their support. Occasionally I’m having to pinch myself to confirm it’s real."

April 30th being before he was selected as candidate for Newark...was he meant to not mention it?
  • Options

When they defend/refuse to condemn/try and distract from anything bad that lefties do?
  • Options

The proposal is unnecessary, authoritarian and expensive. It unnecessarily fetters judicial discretion, and will substantially increase the prison population at a time when 'there is no money left'. There is already a mandatory minimum sentence of six months for threatening a person in a public place or on school premises when the offender has a knife or offensive weapon in their possession (s. 139AA(1) of the Criminal Justice Act 1988). The reality is that the 'good reason' defence to a charge of possession of a bladed article in a public place has been very restrictively interpreted against the liberty of the subject. This proposal is yet more naked authoritarianism from Grayling and should be opposed.
    I know, but politics is a lot about perceptions, it's not a good look for the Lib Dems to be on the side of gangs, particularly those with knives.
  • Options

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

-ard is a respectable suffix indicating a member of a characteristic group, as in coward, dullard and drunkard.

Never heard that about cows before.

• Options
    Mr. Socrates, I quite agree, and had similar thoughts when I saw the sentence.

Mr. Town, there is a genuine cost argument against the policy, but I think that people will be very much behind it. [A cost issue can, of course, be overcome, but it's an argument worth considering].

Unfortunately there seems to be a widening gulf between good governance and good campaigning. If we had a more engaged electorate or a media that was more like Andrew Neil and less like second class Ed Conway that might not be the case.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Good.
    Why do you hate Scots so much? Is it something from your childhood? Perhaps you are still going through your childhood?
    I don't hate Scots. I hate whining ponces who achieve nothing and envy / blame anyone who does. If the cap fits, you know what to do.

You will always need England, in the same way Orwell's Party needed Emmanuel Goldstein.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

BobaFett said:

AndyJS said:

Nope I thought they worked out it wasn't even a double dip.
    That was my understanding too - on the basis that the definition of a recession is two consecutive quarters of declining GDP.

Of course that's just quibbling over semantics really. It was very much a lacklustre period of economic performance, though a long way short of being the economic disaster that 2008/9 was.

And in any case, I was simply referring to it to mark the time period at which Labour were attracting significant numbers of 2010 Conservative voters to their banner, Either swingback has already occurred for this group, or they have moved on from Labour to UKIP.
  • Options
    isam said:

When they defend/refuse to condemn/try and distract from anything bad that lefties do?

I'd call that blinkered rather than retarded.

• Options

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

Never heard that about cows before.

You learn something new every day

"According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, the word coward came into English from the Old French word coart (modern French couard), a combination of the word for "tail" (Modern French queue, Latin cauda) and an agent noun suffix. It would therefore have meant "one with a tail" — perhaps from the habit of animals displaying their tails in flight"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowardice
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    isam said:

"An amazing reception for UKIP

I’ve been an MEP for fifteen years, and this is my fourth euro-election. I can honestly say that I am bowled over by the public reaction...I was in Newark Market Square doing media interviews following the resignation of local Tory MP Patrick Mercer, and I lost count of the local people who wanted to talk to us and express their support. Occasionally I’m having to pinch myself to confirm it’s real."

Yes, that's the bit I meant. Specifically the para above, which blurs the MEP campaign with his Newark effort (it was already well-known that he was standing there), as though he was in some random Midlands place typical of the region and hey, it happened to be where he was standing to be the MP.

I just thought it was funny, not wicked. I'm sure I'd have done the same in his place.
  • Options
    In other news I think the Stop the War coalition may want to consider a name change....

http://stopwar.org.uk/article/time-to-go-to-war-with-israel-as-the-only-path-to-peace-in-the-middle-east#.U2tMvNq9KK1
  • Options

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

I note that in the USA somebody got arrested for using the word 'niggardly' in a public forum a year or so ago. PC gone mad!

(I'd be interested to know the etymological origins of 'niggardly' and to what 'nigg' it refers)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Maybe Khalid Khan had been reading the urban dictionary? They seem to have hit the nail on the head...

"leftard
    a person who jumps on the liberal bandwagon without really understanding any political issues because they think it is sexy and it goes along with their hippie, (or hipster), long-haired, burner, pot-head image. These people can often be spotted at the Eugene Saturday Market buying hemp clothing for 100s of dollars, wearing outfits that cost a ton but look like they are hand made and falling apart. Leftards will never be able to engage in any meaningful discussion about their talking points, as they will only know one-sided and often vague facts about the issue, and will often hold seemingly contradictory ideas, such as supporting gay and women's rights, but being against the only liberal democracy that upholds these rights in the Middle East, namely, Israel. Leftards are what is wrong with the American Liberal and Leftist movements - they are quintessential posers who really just want to spend their parent's money on drugs, expensive music festivals and "hippie" clothes - they will never spend money on actually supporting the causes they purport to care about. "

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=leftard
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, they do appear to be suffering from some sort of language deficiency.

That's a bit like promoting nymphomaniacs to encourage abstinence.
  • Options
    Reading Nick Clegg's column, I think he has a reasonable point in terms of pen knives. I'm not too convinced in the case of someone forced to carry a knife (I note he plays on gender politics by making it a "girl", as if the sex of a person makes a difference) - if you have a stronger sentence for a crime, the police have greater leverage to get them to provide information on others.

I also never understand this left-wing concern with the size of the prison population. It's entirely the wrong focus, as prison sentences are a sympton, not a cause. If we have lots of children in a school getting a detention, it's stupid to say the solution is to give out less detentions - it's to improve behaviour.

I also note Nick Clegg is happy to make a stand for the liberty of knife criminals, but not about warrantless spying on the innocent - including secretly taking images from private web chats between husbands and wives.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

But here it is a compound word ("leftie" and "retard") not a suffix
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

In other news I think the Stop the War coalition may want to consider a name change....

http://stopwar.org.uk/article/time-to-go-to-war-with-israel-as-the-only-path-to-peace-in-the-middle-east#.U2tMvNq9KK1

The most disturbing thing about that, the author is a professor emeritus of international law at Princeton University, was, from 2008 to 2014, United Nations Special Rapporteur on "the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967."
  • Options
    'The NHS after a No vote'

If you intend staying here, for heaven's sake vote yes, or hope that you never get sick and you never get old.

http://munguinsrepublic.blogspot.se/2014/05/the-nhs-after-no-vote.html
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Lets not get away from the facts

Middle class, white left wingers turned up at a UKIP meeting and called Asian and Black people "racists" and a bloke wearing a pink shirt a "faggot"

"I am a proud Englishman, I am a proud Briton, I am a proud mixed race person and I am a proud member of Ukip."

A small number of hecklers from an anti-Ukip demonstration outside the hall managed to infiltrate the meeting, but were swiftly ejected by stewards.

Mr Woolfe appeared on the brink of tears as he responded to one protestor's cry of 'faker'.

His voice cracking with emotion, he referenced his own childhood growing up in Manchester and said: "A five-year-old child having to go home and tell his mum he was called a n***** all day at school - that's not a fake.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/474603/You-can-NEVER-call-us-racist-again-Ukip-s-black-and-ethnic-minority-members-fight-back

"Outside the event, protesters from the Socialist Worker Party and other hard-Left organisations gathered in their dozens, shouting, "UKIP, No Way! Immigrants, here to stay!" Various protesters abused those queuing to get into the UKIP event, with one man calling this reporter, "a faggot" for wearing a pink shirt."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/07/Farage-do-not-ever-call-us-racist
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014

I know, but politics is a lot about perceptions, it's not a good look for the Lib Dems to be on the side of gangs, particularly those with knives.

Indeed. But if we go down that road, opponents of 90 day pre-charge detention, control orders and the like will be described as on the side of terrorists. Nor are the people who will be affected by this proposal in fact members of gangs. Where is the evidence that the five year mandatory minimum for possession of a prohibited firearm has had any effect on gangs or the use of firearms by organised crime?
  • Options
    Mr. Socrates, a good observation (women criminals as victims, whereas men are held more responsible for their own actions).

On 'leftard': personally I think it's an ugly term, but it's telling that the left wish it to be verboten, whereas the right's reaction to 'euracism' was to laugh at it, but not call for any sort of ban.

Control of language tilts the table of debate. Not making a point about 'leftard' particularly, we see it also with the horrid 'climate change denier' and 'deficit denier'. I recall Bob Ainsworth referring to the 'chalk-face' rather than 'coal-face' when visiting troops in Afghanistan.
  • Options
    By the way, I look forward to Kippers calling Farage a shallow PR spiv, given the way he's surrounded himself with A listers ethnic minorities to show his party has changed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    edited May 2014

In an ideal world I'd be with CLegg on this and rather it was left to the judges, but the sentence and review of Andrew Gill amongst others leaves me with the conclusion that our learned friends definitely need to have legislation detailing harsher mandatory minimum sentences.

I think the decision to uphold his low sentence was utterly disgusting btw.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

By the way, I look forward to Kippers calling Farage a shallow PR spiv, given the way he's surrounded himself with A listers ethnic minorities to show his party has changed.

Aye, definitely de-toxifying the brand

Nigel Farage = David Cameron

I so do feel for Sean Fear.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014
    Socrates said:

[I]f you have a stronger sentence for a crime, the police have greater leverage to get them to provide information on others... I also never understand this left-wing concern with the size of the prison population. I also note Nick Clegg is happy to make a stand for the liberty of knife criminals, but not about warrantless spying on the innocent - including secretly taking images from private web chats between husbands and wives.

Using large sentences as a way of getting defendants to incriminate others defendants was a tactic of the Inquisition, and until recently, alien to the common law. If there is a mandatory minimum sentence for possession it must mean that. The law must be enforced. Giving the police or the CPS wide discretion about whether to enforce the law is a high road to tyranny.

Concern about the size of the prison population is not a left-wing issue. It is a pragmatic one. At the moment, the executive is only prepared to spend a certain amount of money on prisons, and that will pay for the incarceration of only a certain number of offenders. Insisting on a mandatory minimum sentence for possession of a bladed article will mean that other offenders will be released by the executive, many of whom may be more deserving of a custodial sentence.

The government's argument is that the interception of communications under RIPA 2000 is done under the authority of a warrant. This is true, albeit general warrants can be issued, and it for the executive, not the courts, to issue them.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

'The NHS after a No vote'

If you intend staying here, for heaven's sake vote yes, or hope that you never get sick and you never get old.

http://munguinsrepublic.blogspot.se/2014/05/the-nhs-after-no-vote.html

The NHS in England is the best performing of all the devolved nations.

"The NHS in England is continuing to perform marginally better than the other UK nations, but the gap is narrowing, a review suggests.

The joint Health Foundation and Nuffield Trust study looked at a range of factors from waiting times to death rates.

It found overall all four nations were improving - mainly because of extra money and targets."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26928204
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    @timmo
    Ladbrokes will have some prices available for Kingston Council soon.
    I don't think we will do Sutton unless anyone can convince me that there is any chance that the Lib Dems could lose control.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,427
    edited May 2014
    Whilst not liking silly name calling at the best of times ,I am now aware of the left's supposed dislike on words ending in 'ard'. I put it to the Banning Word Authority that 'Dullard' be put on ze list!!!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Aye, definitely de-toxifying the brand

Nigel Farage = David Cameron

I so do feel for Sean Fear.
    I think I might do a thread on this.
  • Options

Shame it came to that but it seems kipper haters need to be bludgeoned rather than pricked
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Telegraph: - “A new pro-UK group has been forced to stop people commenting under its online videos after volunteers expressing support for Britain were subjected to personal abuse from Nationalists. Scots who agreed to be filmed speaking openly about their UK support for Vote No Borders were called "racist" and labelled "Unionist bulls******s" in a string of vitriolic messages.”

wooses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10814888/Cybernats-Pro-UK-group-forced-to-change-online-campaign-after-barrage-of-abuse.html
  • Options
    I'm not massively in favour of statutorily mandated sentencing, largely because it often seems to be based on public hysteria triggered by misleading headlines. I can understand their superficial attraction but I think more needs to be done to educate people about sentencing, especially when you chat to people and they think rapists usually only get a few months and life only means 10-12 years.
  • Options
    BBC This Week ‏@bbcthisweek 18h
    We'll start with @DPJHodges film on Labour/Miliband and he'll join @afneil #sadmanonatrain @HackneyAbbott in studio pic.twitter.com/Rj72EBaziY
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

Prepare for the tirade of abuse! Kippers can give it but they cant take it
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I'm not massively in favour of statutorily mandated sentencing, largely because it often seems to be based on public hysteria triggered by misleading headlines. I can understand their superficial attraction but I think more needs to be done to educate people about sentencing, especially when you chat to people and they think rapists usually only get a few months and life only means 10-12 years.

I think sentencing is fine, but there is an argument for making it mandatory for some crimes, the sentencing to be consecutive rather than concurrent.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    shadsy said:

@timmo
    Ladbrokes will have some prices available for Kingston Council soon.
    I don't think we will do Sutton unless anyone can convince me that there is any chance that the Lib Dems could lose control.

Thanks Shadsy

Would like to know your price for NOC for Sutton.
    22 incumbent Lib Dems have stood down and Burstow isn't flavour of the month in the borough.
    Labour may win. 7-8 seats.
  • Options
    @MorrisDancer - "On 'leftard': personally I think it's an ugly term, but it's telling that the left wish it to be verboten, whereas the right's reaction to 'euracism' was to laugh at it, but not call for any sort of ban."

I would not ban use of the word "leftard". I think those who are comfortable using it and/or want to justify its use should be free to do so. And I don't think I have seen any posts on here today from anyone calling for it to be banned.
  • Options
    What is UKIP VI like amongst 2nd generation and beyond descendants, and of African immigrants ?

The Christian church does quite well in Africa and attitudes are more socially conservative than elsewhere. Could be fertile ground.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

I think sentencing is fine, but there is an argument for making it mandatory for some crimes, the sentencing to be consecutive rather than concurrent.
    Oh I think consecutive sentencing in some circumstances is good. I would also look at what sentence ranges are for crimes but Parliament shouldn't usurp judicial discretion.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
    The sort of bankers (and others) we should really be bashing:
    Unveiling his plans to rescue the Co-op, he (Lord Myners) said it could yet be saved but he was not confident that bosses will take the action needed, claiming some on the board do not know the difference between credit and debit.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622174/One-great-business-calamities-Co-op-sees-half-150-years-wealth-wiped-four-years.html
  • Options

@MorrisDancer - "On 'leftard': personally I think it's an ugly term, but it's telling that the left wish it to be verboten, whereas the right's reaction to 'euracism' was to laugh at it, but not call for any sort of ban."

I would not ban use of the word "leftard". I think those who are comfortable using it and/or want to justify its use should be free to do so. And I don't think I have seen any posts on here today from anyone calling for it to be banned.

Its a useful distraction for people who don't want to face up to the absurdity of left wingers calling Asian & Black people "racist" for disagreeing with their politics
  • Options

"
    Pulpstar said:

What is UKIP VI like amongst 2nd generation and beyond descendants, and of African immigrants ?

The Christian church does quite well in Africa and attitudes are more socially conservative than elsewhere. Could be fertile ground.

There is an untapped resource of non white Britons who feel immigration is a problem

"According to the survey, 39% of Asian Britons, 34% of white Britons and 21% of black Britons wanted all immigration into the UK to be stopped permanently, or at least until the economy improved. And 43% of Asian Britons, 63% of white Britons and 17% of black Britons agreed with the statement that "immigration into Britain has been a bad thing for the country". "

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/feb/27/support-poll-support-far-right
  • Options

Unveiling his plans to rescue the Co-op, he (Lord Myners) said it could yet be saved but he was not confident that bosses will take the action needed, claiming some on the board do not know the difference between credit and debit.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622174/One-great-business-calamities-Co-op-sees-half-150-years-wealth-wiped-four-years.html

Banks have had debit and credit back to front for all eternity anyway !
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Whilst not liking silly name calling at the best of times ,I am now aware of the left's supposed dislike on words ending in 'ard'. I put it to the Banning Word Authority that 'Dullard' be put on ze list!!!

That's a bit tryhard.
  • Options

Nice idea and PR to have laypeople on the Co-Op board. But if you run a business as big as the Co-op especially when it is involved in banking you really need to have the big decisions taken by experts. Yes I know some experts are better than others and people like Fred Goodwin and that Northern Rock guy are not good examples but at least you can vent fury at them for not knowing what they SHOULD know as opposed to venting fury at laypeople for not knowing what they are not expected to know
  • Options
    Kevin Palmer ‏@kpsundayworld 39m
    Wenger on Helena Costa appointment: "I like it. Men manage women, why should women not manage men. It happens to us all at home!" #AFC
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    So this time next year Cameron will be walking triumphantly back into Downing St. for another five years as PM, while shell-shocked Ed will be resigning after blowing a contest where he thought all he had to do was turn up!

But what will will Clegg's fate be?
  • Options
    isam said:

Its a useful distraction for people who don't want to face up to the absurdity of left wingers calling Asian & Black people "racist" for disagreeing with their politics

As I say below, the SWP are morons. If you wish to use or justify the use of pejorative words such as Leftard then I believe you should be free to do so.
  • Options
    isam said:

Kevin Palmer ‏@kpsundayworld 39m
    Wenger on Helena Costa appointment: "I like it. Men manage women, why should women not manage men. It happens to us all at home!" #AFC

Good job he is not a UKIP politician saying that . The fury of the right-on brigade would have a new target
  • Options
    Gove and Harman visit Thurrock

Essex Local News ‏@Essex_News 3h
    Political heavyweights descend on Thurrock: TWO political heavyweights visited Thurrock to learn more a... http://bit.ly/1mF2Fcf #Essex

But...

Grant French ‏@SteelvalleyUKIP 13h
    Sky News in Thurrock asking people who they thought was an honest politian. Only one name given Farage.

This discussion has been closed.