Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

13»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,311

Pulpstar said:

Selection Odds Stake Returns Maximum potential returns including stake amount. Receipt More
    Iceland 501.00 £10.27 £5,145.27

Wow! Betfair presumably?
    Have £20 to win £10k on Skybet right now...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,948
    edited May 2014
    Pulpstar said:

SkyBet have let me have £20. Going to have to talk to Betfred people tommorow. Account is on the naughty step or something...

Betfred make an account inactive if you have not deposited for a while.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    antifrank said:

Strange town: London 2015

A terrific piece by antifrank on his new and most absorbing blog. I do hope he'll keep this going - particularly the betting aspects which are all too absent these days on PB.com itself.

Thank you - this means a lot to me.

My intention is not to post a blog so much as to do some thinking and then put my thoughts up online for others to see and vehemently disagree with if necessary. I'm particularly grateful to anotherDave, who has very different views from me but who has helped me reconsider my thinking on what's coming next on a few key points.

I'm actually proudest of today's post, where I think I've spotted something that hasn't been fully appreciated before.
    These were my Top Kips!

Barking
    Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Iceland 170s on. Betfair
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    isam said:

antifrank said:

A terrific piece by antifrank on his new and most absorbing blog. I do hope he'll keep this going - particularly the betting aspects which are all too absent these days on PB.com itself.

My intention is not to post a blog so much as to do some thinking and then put my thoughts up online for others to see and vehemently disagree with if necessary. I'm particularly grateful to anotherDave, who has very different views from me but who has helped me reconsider my thinking on what's coming next on a few key points.

I'm actually proudest of today's post, where I think I've spotted something that hasn't been fully appreciated before.
    These were my Top Kips!

Barking
    Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE

I think what'll be key to UKIP seats is finding out where they put more of their resources.

Anyone know about UKIP selections in these seats and where they are?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Not long now till crossover... ;-)

Do the LDs lose all their MEPs on 7%?
    Yup...
    Splendid! Many thanks Mr Crosby.
    I don't think he's right.
    Don't worry, I am...
    And your response on the South East?

It would be either (UK/C/L/G/LD)

4/4/2/0/0 or 4/3/2/1/0

depending on the Green figure, which wasn't given in the poll. UNS caveats, of course...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

SkyBet have let me have £20. Going to have to talk to Betfred people tommorow. Account is on the naughty step or something...

Added £20

50 pence still too big a bet for Fred !
  • Options
    corporeal said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

These were my Top Kips!

Barking
    Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE

I think what'll be key to UKIP seats is finding out where they put more of their resources.

Oh obv Eastleigh should be on here also

Tim Aker is in Thurrock. He is one of UKIPs top men, I think that should be 3 or 4/1.. maybe shorter

Would be amazed if they didn't get 2nd

• Options
    I'm going to get tarred and feathered by PBers when Iceland finish last on Saturday aren't I?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,035

I'm going to get tarred and feathered by PBers when Iceland finish last on Saturday aren't I?

It seems the people here have enough riding on them winning that you can probably afford the phone calls to get them close!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Betfred and the Tote are of course one and the same company - hence the identical odds. Unfortunately neither is offerting EW on Eurovision so SkyBet is best in this regard paying one quarter of their 150/1 win odds on the first 4.
  • Options
    antifrank: I'm actually proudest of today's post, where I think I've spotted something that hasn't been fully appreciated before

This sounds intriguing so I'm off to have a look! Please excuse if I don't comment until tomorrow, I'm now very tired.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

These were my Top Kips!

Barking
    Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE

Tim Aker is in Thurrock. He is one of UKIPs top men, I think that should be 3 or 4/1.. maybe shorter

Don't say that. Pulpstar and I have a bet about UKIP second places. I could do with as few as possible.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

It seems the people here have enough riding on them winning that you can probably afford the phone calls to get them close!
    Good thinking.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,486

kle4 said:

the good economic news has to have an effect soon.... surely...

You'd think so, but I doubt it will have all that much impact, notwithstanding the occasional good poll for the Tories. In ordinary times it seems like it should shore up the Tory vote to 2010 levels or a few points above if they're lucky, but the party still seems so beset by internal troubles that if they ever got into a good position they'd be too busy shooting their own foot while digging their own grave to seize it.

Further to that it has taken so long for things to pretty much umambiguously start looking up (plenty of naysayers among economists, and they're probably right, but then again apparently no-one in authority saw a huge crash coming, so even if another period of pain is coming, it's probably inevitable so I won;t worry about it) that anyone on the fence or inclined to dislike the Tories (which is a majority of the electorate) will probably see any economic recovery as bound to happen eventually whoever was in power, in which case punishing the Tory cutters and LD betrayers can be done without fear.
    Good economic news can be counter productive if the electorate don't feel the benefit.

After all why should 'they' get the benefit whilst you don't - 'they' being any group different to you.

Now compare and contrast:

Annual increase in earnings:

May 1983 +8.9%
    May 1987 +8.6%
    Mar 1992 +9.1%

RPI

May 1983 +3.7%
    May 1987 +4.1%
    Mar 1992 +4.0%

These help explain the Conservative landslide of 1983. Sure there's Foot and the Falklands but wages increasing by more than 5% above inflation makes for a happy electorate.

Likewise, wages were rising very nicely in the weeks before the Conservatives surprise victory in 1992.

By comparison RPI is at present higher than the annual increase in earnings and has been so consistently under this government.

Meanwhile 'they' get all the benefits etc.

And governments which blame all the bad things which happen during their time in office on others - for example the two Osborne manufacturing recessions - subsequently struggle to gain recognition for any good things.

• Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

These were my Top Kips!

Barking
    Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE

Don't say that. Pulpstar and I have a bet about UKIP second places. I could do with as few as possible.
    More likely 1st than 3rd so gee them up!
  • Options
    Someone offering £4 at 300s on Betfair...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Yup...
    Don't worry, I am...

4/4/2/0/0 or 4/3/2/1/0

depending on the Green figure, which wasn't given in the poll. UNS caveats, of course...
    Eh, given SE is one of the stronger LD areas, the Greens won it on 8% last time and iirc aren't polling fantastically well I'd reckon a 7% national figure would be at the least a coinflip for a LD MEP.
  • Options
    To get the article for free, you need to google search "Most Ukip voters plan to stick with party in 2015"

More than half of those voting Ukip in this month’s European elections also intend to support the anti-EU party in next year’s general election, according to a new survey.

The poll of 20,000 people by YouGov for the British Election Study suggests that the Ukip vote will prove much more resilient this time than in the last election cycle. It suggests Ukip could win up to 10 per cent at the general election.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f7a1cfbe-d52c-11e3-9187-00144feabdc0.html#axzz30xv5WVB8
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Yup...
    Don't worry, I am...

4/4/2/0/0 or 4/3/2/1/0

Eh, given SE is one of the stronger LD areas, the Greens won it on 8% last time and iirc aren't polling fantastically well I'd reckon a 7% national figure would be at the least a coinflip for a LD MEP.
    With respect, do some research on how D'Hondt works...

It may indeed be a 'coinflip', but I can only simulate using UNS. And UNS says No...
  • Options

To get the article for free, you need to google search "Most Ukip voters plan to stick with party in 2015"

More than half of those voting Ukip in this month’s European elections also intend to support the anti-EU party in next year’s general election, according to a new survey.

The poll of 20,000 people by YouGov for the British Election Study suggests that the Ukip vote will prove much more resilient this time than in the last election cycle. It suggests Ukip could win up to 10 per cent at the general election.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f7a1cfbe-d52c-11e3-9187-00144feabdc0.html#axzz30xv5WVB8

Good old Godders sticking the knife in!

Was told at the UKIP drink up last month that there is an "old UKIP" and "new UKIP" and "old" were pretty much on one strike and youre out...Godders fell foul
  • Options

You realise Dan Hodges will be running naked round London if this happens right ?

Lady Godiva he ain't !
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Pulpstar said:

You realise Dan Hodges will be running naked round London if this happens right ?

Lady Godiva he ain't !
    Maybe @isam will give him all his UKIP >10% winnings to keep his clothes on for all of our sakes?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    edited May 2014

It suggests Ukip could win up to 10 per cent at the general election.

We'll see. I reakon halve that (5%) and we're in business.

• Options
    Why on God's green earth is the UK 8-1 to win Eurovision ?

Is there any reason I shouldn't lay the bejeesus out of that ?
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

These were my Top Kips!

Barking
    Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE

What about Louth and Horncastle with Sir Peter Tapsell standing down?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Over the Eurovision specialist (and expert in everything camp and kitsch) Mr TSE >

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've been backing her for a bit.

She's our best entry since Gina G in 1996.

I know we won it in 97 but Gina G was better.

• Options

isam said:

antifrank said:

These were my Top Kips!

Barking
    Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE

What about Louth and Horncastle with Sir Peter Tapsell standing down?
    Yes, couldn't put you off that at 7/1
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I heard Gina G on the radio this morning. "Oooooooo Ahhhhhhhhh.... Just a little bit..."

Was a good song.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Viz Comic ‏@vizcomic Apr 10

Famous People on the Toilet No. 97: Gina G. pic.twitter.com/FyxAmE8WS2
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    Previous thread on banks - Investment banks were not immune from the crash either, Lehmans, Merill Lynch, Bear Stearns all went bust or were taken over, even if they were US rather than UK banks, Lehmans for example had its EU HQ in London
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    CNN/ORC 2016 GOP primaries poll http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2014/images/05/06/rel5d.pdf

Jeb Bush 13% (9%) {10%} [6%] (10%)
    Rand Paul 13% (16%) {13%} [13%] (13%)
    Paul Ryan 12% (15%) {9%} [11%] (16%)
    Mike Huckabee 10% (10%) {14%}
    Chris Christie 9% (8%) {10%} [24%] (17%)
    Rick Perry 8% (11%) {8%} [7%] (6%)
    Scott Walker 7%
    Ted Cruz 7% (8%) {8%} [10%] (7%)
    Marco Rubio 6% (5%) {9%} [9%] (9%)
    Rick Santorum 2% (3%) {4%} [6%] (5%)
    Someone else (vol.) 4% (6%) {8%} [6%] (6%)
    None/No one (vol.) 4% (4%) {3%} [2%] (4%)
    No opinion 7% (5%) {4%} [6%] (6%)
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    HYUFD said:

CNN/ORC 2016 GOP primaries poll http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2014/images/05/06/rel5d.pdf

Jeb Bush 13% (9%) {10%} [6%] (10%)
    Rand Paul 13% (16%) {13%} [13%] (13%)
    Paul Ryan 12% (15%) {9%} [11%] (16%)
    Mike Huckabee 10% (10%) {14%}
    Chris Christie 9% (8%) {10%} [24%] (17%)
    Rick Perry 8% (11%) {8%} [7%] (6%)
    Scott Walker 7%
    Ted Cruz 7% (8%) {8%} [10%] (7%)
    Marco Rubio 6% (5%) {9%} [9%] (9%)
    Rick Santorum 2% (3%) {4%} [6%] (5%)
    Someone else (vol.) 4% (6%) {8%} [6%] (6%)
    None/No one (vol.) 4% (4%) {3%} [2%] (4%)
    No opinion 7% (5%) {4%} [6%] (6%)

So many candidates ... so few of them electable.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Yup...
    Don't worry, I am...

4/4/2/0/0 or 4/3/2/1/0

With respect, do some research on how D'Hondt works...

It may indeed be a 'coinflip', but I can only simulate using UNS. And UNS says No...
    With respect I know how D'Hondt works, apologies if I didn't start doing the equations mid-thread.

I also know the Lib Dems have had better Euro results in SE in the past and in the couple of London polls they've been above the national figures.

So forgive me for expressing doubt at your confident 'yep'.
This discussion has been closed.