Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: April 10th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,701
edited April 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: April 10th 2014

Belle Vue on Cumbria (Labour Defence)
Result of last election to council (2013): Labour 35, Conservatives 26, Liberal Democrats 16, Independents 7 (No Overall Control, Labour short by 8)
Result of last election in ward (2013): Labour 760 (66%), Conservatives 393 (34%)
Candidates duly nominated: Christine Bowditch (Lab), Nigel Christian (Con), John Stanyer (UKIP)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    First
  • Options

'Racist' swan accused of attacking foreign students at university campus http://t.co/saAJ3THdVH (Newsteam) pic.twitter.com/715DB7motd

— Telegraph News (@TelegraphNews) April 10, 2014

Not a joke, and a sad commentary on what this once free country has become
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited April 2014
    #CameronJesus is trending on twitter.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited April 2014
    Nuke the swans and club the seals. You looking at my bird...
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    MikeK: Perhaps a commentary on what the press has become.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

it's probably a Latino thing like #CameronDiaz
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT

Has EdM mentioned this exciting development for his constituents:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/bucharest-is-latest-destination-from-doncaster-s-robin-hood-airport-1-6526096

Despite some heroic attempts in the article to big up the tourist potential of Bucharest I suspect that the users of the new service are more likely to be Romanians than Yorkshire folk.

Still revealing that new flight locations can be set up when the demand is there.

Clearly there's more demand to fly between Romania and Doncaster than between China and Doncaster or for that matter China and Gatwick, Birmingham, Manchester etc, etc, etc.

ar

There are worse (and better) capital cities in mittel Europa than Bucharest.

Worth a visit.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

it's probably a Latino thing like #CameronDiaz
    LOL! I see you weren't kidding when you said you had a good lunch!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    AveryLP said:

Worth a visit.

I haven't been to either end of this new route, but given the choice I would certainly opt for a weekend in Bucharest rather than a weekend in Doncaster.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I wouldn't care to spend a weekend in Doncaster. But you can have a very enjoyable weekend around Doncaster.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @holysmoke: Likewise, this data implies that Ed Miliband's uselessness could defeat Labour despite Ukip/boundaries etc http://t.co/7VxtmzVQXh
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    On the front page of the Telegraph site this morning was a preview of a speech to be given today by Yvette Copper (aka Mrs Balls). She was allegedly going to promise criminal sanctions in pursuit of British Jobs for British Workers and that a future Labour government would stop foreigners under cutting wages. Was the speech ever delivered? I only ask because I have seen nothing about it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

AveryLP said:

Worth a visit.

I haven't been to either end of this new route, but given the choice I would certainly opt for a weekend in Bucharest rather than a weekend in Doncaster.
    The bits not rebuilt by Ceaucescu have an elegant, French influenced fin de siècle feel. Tree lined wide boulevards and large villas standing in their own gardens.

http://bit.ly/1iBgshr

I have only been to Doncaster Races so can't compare with this end.
  • Options
    Dow drops 1.62% or 266.96 points
    Nasdaq drops 3.1% or 129.79 points.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    "All over the UK, every day, there are countless acts of kindness carried out by those who believe in and follow Christ.".....can anyone see the complete feck up in the above statement. Even when he does god, he manages to make a right town halls of it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    I have decided that there is no point in continuing to moan about the fecklessness of the No campaign on here and not doing much about it. So I will be taking part in my first canvassing on their behalf on Saturday in Bridge of Don.

It will be interesting to see what material etc is provided.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @MikeK
    Time for more quantitative stealing?
  • Options

On the front page of the Telegraph site this morning was a preview of a speech to be given today by Yvette Copper (aka Mrs Balls). She was allegedly going to promise criminal sanctions in pursuit of British Jobs for British Workers and that a future Labour government would stop foreigners under cutting wages. Was the speech ever delivered? I only ask because I have seen nothing about it.

It's only a matter of time until Les Balls spin that the Tories let immigration run riot 1997-2010.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,895
    Scott_P said:

@holysmoke: Likewise, this data implies that Ed Miliband's uselessness could defeat Labour despite Ukip/boundaries etc http://t.co/7VxtmzVQXh

Yep, swingback has actually been going on for about a year now. So slight nobody really noticed until recently.
  • Options

http://www.itn.co.uk/UK/99922/yvette-cooper--tougher-rules-for-law-breaking-migrants
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    MikeK said:

Don't be silly, Mike.

The Dow and NASDAQ are reacting to poorer than expected US manufacturing statistics released today.

A correction certainly, a crash most unlikely.
  • Options

"All over the UK, every day, there are countless acts of kindness carried out by those who believe in and follow Christ.".....can anyone see the complete feck up in the above statement. Even when he does god, he manages to make a right town halls of it.

maybe he should do God like Tony

• Options

maybe he should do God like Tony

The sign of a desperate politician of any party when he starts doing god.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good evening, everyone.

Thanks to Mr. Hayfield for his regular piece.

FPT: Mr. Carnyx, I really like Dodge's biographies of Alexander, Hannibal and Caesar (and highly recommend them) but have struggled to finish the first of the 2/4 volumes I own of his work on Napoleon. I've read the first chapter of Gustavus Adolphus, and it's just bridging the gap between the ancient world and the end (ish) of the medieval period.

If you happen to buy a physical copy of TA Dodge's work please make sure it's full and not abridged. Some books of his have been cut short by a few hundred words but are not marked as abridged.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited April 2014
    Ditto the speech Ed Miliband gave on his cost of living meme earlier this week after it was heavily briefed to the media the evening before, it barely got a mention on PB after he had delivered it.

• Options
    @Alanbrooke

He might as well...he has copied nearly everything else.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

It's only a matter of time until Les Balls spin that the Tories let immigration run riot 1997-2010.
    Well it was all Thatcher's fault.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Ditto the speech Ed Miliband gave on his cost of living meme earlier this week, it barely even got a mention on PB after he had delivered it.

I think that is more to do with PB. For PB rule on speeches, see PB rule on polls.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited April 2014
    @Alanbrooke

'It's only a matter of time until Les Balls spin that the Tories let immigration run riot 1997-2010'

The ice pixie pretending Labour will be tough on immigration is at least good comedy.
  • Options

I hope you saw my yellow box this morning, Mr. Brooke. The ONS made a fairly substantial revision to the net immigration statistics over the past decade.

Repeat viewing in case you missed it.
    Revised net long-term international         
    migration series for United Kingdom,
    calendar year, 2001-2011

--------------------------------------------
    Calendar Revised Original
    year Net Net
    migration migration
    estimates estimates Difference
    thousands

2001 +179 +171 +8
    2002 +172 +153 +19
    2003 +185 +148 +37
    2004 +268 +245 +23
    2005 +267 +206 +61
    2006 +265 +198 +67
    2007 +273 +233 +40
    2008 +229 +163 +66
    2009 +229 +198 +31
    2010 +256 +252 +4
    2011 +205 +215 -10
    -----------------------------
    +2,528 +2,182 +346

• Options

fitalass said:

Ditto the speech Ed Miliband gave on his cost of living meme earlier this week, it barely even got a mention on PB after he had delivered it.

I think that is more to do with PB. For PB rule on speeches, see PB rule on polls.
    I don't see why you get cross over PB polls.
  • Options
    Dunno what all this immigration stuff is about, can't we just bring back the Pole tax?
  • Options

fitalass said:

Cross...come on you should know better than that, I think it is hilarious. I leave people getting cross at posts given by people you more than likely never meet to other posters. Christ alive, it's a website. What do people do, wave fists at computer screens?
  • Options
    Good luck, I have volunteered to do some local leafleting for the No campaign over the next few weeks too. And there has been far more activity from the No campaign in Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire than around your local area in Dundee, so please don't go around tarring the rest of the No campaign with the 'fecklessness' tag because it simple would not be fair or accurate.
    DavidL said:

I have decided that there is no point in continuing to moan about the fecklessness of the No campaign on here and not doing much about it. So I will be taking part in my first canvassing on their behalf on Saturday in Bridge of Don.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

I hope you saw my yellow box this morning, Mr. Brooke. The ONS made a fairly substantial revision to the net immigration statistics over the past decade.

calendar year, 2001-2011

year Net Net
    migration migration
    thousands

2001 +179 +171 +8
    2002 +172 +153 +19
    2003 +185 +148 +37
    2004 +268 +245 +23
    2005 +267 +206 +61
    2006 +265 +198 +67
    2007 +273 +233 +40
    2008 +229 +163 +66
    2009 +229 +198 +31
    2010 +256 +252 +4
    2011 +205 +215 -10
    +2,528 +2,182 +346

Sorry Mr P missed it this morning. However it simply shows how Labour's sudden conversion to jobs for brits is a turd rolled in glitter.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

Don't be silly, Mike.

The Dow and NASDAQ are reacting to poorer than expected US manufacturing statistics released today.

A correction certainly, a crash most unlikely.
    No doubt your touching faith in Osborne is, what is the word; oh, touching.
    Actually Nasdaq has fallen because many stocks have no clothes. Something like Gids!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128

AveryLP said:

Worth a visit.

Doncaster Market would be perfect for a Cameron photostunt.

References could be made to cost of living, local produce and tourism (Doncaster Market is apparantly Britain's best market, although that must mean the others are bloody crap).

Cameron could combine it with a visit to Cleethorpes with lots of references to SamCam being a local, old memories of trips to the seaside etc. Now I don't know if SamCam ever did have trips to Cleethorpes when young but it would be impossible to prove that she didn't.

And the really clever party of this photostunt is that EdM, being a local MP, would be forced to imitate it and would only succeed in looking dorky.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

AveryLP said:

Worth a visit.

References could be made to cost of living, local produce and tourism (Doncaster Market is apparantly Britain's best market, although that must mean the others are bloody crap).

Cameron could combine it with a visit to Cleethorpes with lots of references to SamCam being a local, old memories of trips to the seaside etc. Now I don't know if SamCam ever did have trips to Cleethorpes when young but it would be impossible to prove that she didn't.

And the really clever party of this photostunt is that EdM, being a local MP, would be forced to imitate it and would only succeed in looking dorky.

You forgot that he could go into a pasty shop and buy his favourite food !
  • Options
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

AveryLP said:

Worth a visit.

Ukip holding their next conference at Doncaster racecourse aren't they?

They should fly in from Bucharest
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

Good evening, everyone.

Thanks to Mr. Hayfield for his regular piece.

FPT: Mr. Carnyx, I really like Dodge's biographies of Alexander, Hannibal and Caesar (and highly recommend them) but have struggled to finish the first of the 2/4 volumes I own of his work on Napoleon. I've read the first chapter of Gustavus Adolphus, and it's just bridging the gap between the ancient world and the end (ish) of the medieval period.

If you happen to buy a physical copy of TA Dodge's work please make sure it's full and not abridged. Some books of his have been cut short by a few hundred words but are not marked as abridged.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Options

fitalass said:

Cross...come on you should know better than that, I think it is hilarious. I leave people getting cross at posts given by people you more than likely never meet to other posters. Christ alive, it's a website. What do people do, wave fists at computer screens?
    subtlelty of the pun escaped you, but it should be our goal posts are carried from thread to thread.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

calendar year, 2001-2011

year Net Net
    migration migration
    thousands

2001 +179 +171 +8
    2002 +172 +153 +19
    2003 +185 +148 +37
    2004 +268 +245 +23
    2005 +267 +206 +61
    2006 +265 +198 +67
    2007 +273 +233 +40
    2008 +229 +163 +66
    2009 +229 +198 +31
    2010 +256 +252 +4
    2011 +205 +215 -10
    +2,528 +2,182 +346

Would these extra people mean adjustments are needed for GDP per capita calculations ?

I believe the ONS's excuse for this undercounting is that they didn't realise Eastern Europeans were flying via regional airports.
  • Options

fitalass said:

subtlelty of the pun escaped you, but it should be our goal posts are carried from thread to thread.
    Big Doh on my behalf. I blame Basil.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

It was reported in Look East. It seemed to be a somewhat strange mixture of immigration rhetoric and some fairly targetted measures aimed at gangmasters of illegal migrants. The legal/illegal distinction being left in a strange place.
  • Options
    fitalass said:
    As ever, to prove my PB rules on polls, that is at least the fourth link to the same poll via either the Telegraph or Nottingham University. Cheers all.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Worth a visit.

Nonsense AR. The best market as many have vouched is indubitably Camden Market which is full of media savvy moguls and glitterati. Not only is it internationally unique, but it has a bigger turnover than all the UK regions combined. If today HMG introduced a sales tax of just 0.000004% on all goods sold at the market it would clear our national debt by 3.15 pm next Tueseday.
  • Options
    Np, Mr. Carnyx. I've got the three biographies on Alexander/Hannibal/Caesar, and noticed the page number was a bit low. Whilst it's possible they could've crammed more in with a smaller font size, I'd be a bit surprised.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

fitalass said:

Good luck, I have volunteered to do some local leafleting for the No campaign over the next few weeks too. And there has been far more activity from the No campaign in Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire than around your local area in Dundee, so please don't go around tarring the rest of the No campaign with the 'fecklessness' tag because it simple would not be fair or accurate.

DavidL said:

Historian Tom Holland has promised to tweet, every day, between now and the referendum, a reason why he is proud and happy as an English person to be in a #Union with Scotland.

I'm gonna do the same, whenever I have access to a computer.

F*ck the Scots. We will LOVE them into voting No.
    This needs a little work Sean.

• Options
    @SeanT
    We love you loooooong time big boy.

Yup David, it does need a little work.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,363
    DavidL said:

Have you done any canvassing before, David? Interesting to get a new impression if not (or indeed anyway).

• Options
    edited April 2014

DavidL said:

Have you done any canvassing before, David? Interesting to get a new impression if not (or indeed anyway).

A very long time ago, nearly 30 years actually. For the SDP in Dundee. Not for the faint hearted.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

FPT

Has EdM mentioned this exciting development for his constituents:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/bucharest-is-latest-destination-from-doncaster-s-robin-hood-airport-1-6526096

Despite some heroic attempts in the article to big up the tourist potential of Bucharest I suspect that the users of the new service are more likely to be Romanians than Yorkshire folk.

Still revealing that new flight locations can be set up when the demand is there.

Clearly there's more demand to fly between Romania and Doncaster than between China and Doncaster or for that matter China and Gatwick, Birmingham, Manchester etc, etc, etc.

ar

Worth a visit.
    I'll put it on my list of places to go to but when Lincolnshire alone has such delights as Cleethorpes, Mablethorpe and Skegness it may be difficult to squeeze in a visit.

So I suspect my first sight of Romanians will be at the supermarket, I suspect their lack of affluence will differentiate them from the Poles, Lithuanians and Argentine rugby players I tend to notice.
  • Options
    Mr. T, I'd be wary. Holland criticised Hannibal for the Alpine march in his segment on Hannibal in The Art of War: Great Commanders of the Ancient and Medieval Worlds 1600 BC - AD 1600. Clearly a silly fellow.

[On a serious note, Hannibal did take significant losses through the Alpine march, but these did not prevent him scoring numerous consecutive victories. The reason he failed to win was ultimately a combination of lack of siege equipment, very strong loyalty to Rome by her allies, Roman pathological patriotism and a lack of support from Carthage for political reasons].
  • Options
    I try not to get too involved in immigration debates but I find the idea that we have just discovered the equivalent of the entire population of Coventry quite bizarre. This is not that big an island (which is why we are better together of course).
  • Options
    YG CON 32%, LAB 38%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 14%
  • Options
    Re Scotland.

Would anyone like to speculate what the effect of an English Conservative politician making a VERY provocative statement would be ?

For example referring to Scotland as a country of drunken layabouts, socialist parasites etc, saying that Scotland was to blame for the financial crisis and recession.

And here's the best bit saying that after Scotland votes NO that taxes will be raised on Scotland and services, benefits and public sector pay cut in order to punish Scotland for 'its crimes'.

Because maybe there's one or two English Conservative politicians who would to see Scotland independent with the resulting damage that would do to the Labour party.
  • Options
    @another_richard

The Conservative and Anti Unionist Party?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

2nd thoughts on the Nigel Evans case: he's wrong about the No Euphoria thing. He should get HAMMERED.

About the best thing I ever did after my own rape trial, and acquittal, was have a humongous party which started an hour after I leapt out of the dock of the Old Bailey, and continued long into the night, and featured a cross-Holborn foam fight, and ended with a £1000 dinner (this was in the 1980s) in Soho, for two dozen people, with endless happy speeches and another food fight, a dinner which somehow got paid for by the Sun newspaper, as the journalist they sent to cover the trial ended up as a personal friend. Then we all drank more champagne and YODELLED.

I woke at noon the next day with a Wagnerian hangover - then I remembered that, for the first time in a year, I was no longer accused of rape, and the shadow that had blighted my life for twelve months had gone, and I was innocent and free, and then I put on Stevie Winwood's While You See A Chance, and my hangover dissolved into the late spring sunshine.

I sincerely believe that cathartic bacchanal helped me move on, and draw a line, and all that.

Nigel, get drunk, then get back to work.

Disgracefully, it seems that the practice at the Central Criminal Court at present is for acquitted defendants to be returned to Her Majesty's Prison Belmarsh overnight for "administrative reasons". This is what happened to Nicholas Jacobs (per BBC). His counsel should have applied to the trial judge for a writ of habeas corpus the moment there was an attempt to return him to custody. Let the innocent celebrate the fact on the steps of the court, if they so choose.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    MikeK said:

Well done, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed. And it happened on little or no news. The break of S&P500 1837 was extremely significant today, and finally opens up some great bearish opportunities technically speaking. Yes we've had some poor Japanese and Chinese data overnight - Chinese imports and exports down significantly on a year ago......and they tell us their economy is growing at 7.5% a year....yeah right, whatever you say.

And finally investors are starting to worry about the lack of growth, well this is just but the start.........finally. As for Avery's prediction of Conservative Labour crossover, you can forget it thanks to UKIP and the oncoming economic storm. I remember sending an email to Double Carpet over a year ago saying that April 2014 was going to be an extremely difficult moment. Am expecting the next 3 or 4 weeks to be very problematic, with some potentially very big developments around Easter. Very exciting times, certainly not one for the faint hearted right now.
  • Options

SeanT said:

2nd thoughts on the Nigel Evans case: he's wrong about the No Euphoria thing. He should get HAMMERED.

About the best thing I ever did after my own rape trial, and acquittal, was have a humongous party which started an hour after I leapt out of the dock of the Old Bailey, and continued long into the night, and featured a cross-Holborn foam fight, and ended with a £1000 dinner (this was in the 1980s) in Soho, for two dozen people, with endless happy speeches and another food fight, a dinner which somehow got paid for by the Sun newspaper, as the journalist they sent to cover the trial ended up as a personal friend. Then we all drank more champagne and YODELLED.

I woke at noon the next day with a Wagnerian hangover - then I remembered that, for the first time in a year, I was no longer accused of rape, and the shadow that had blighted my life for twelve months had gone, and I was innocent and free, and then I put on Stevie Winwood's While You See A Chance, and my hangover dissolved into the late spring sunshine.

I sincerely believe that cathartic bacchanal helped me move on, and draw a line, and all that.

Disgracefully, it seems that the practice at the Central Criminal Court at present is for acquitted defendants to be returned to Her Majesty's Prison Belmarsh overnight for "administrative reasons". This is what happened to Nicholas Jacobs (per BBC). His counsel should have applied to the trial judge for a writ of habeas corpus the moment there was an attempt to return him to custody. Let the innocent celebrate the fact on the steps of the court, if they so choose.
    That is completely bizarre. In Scotland we still do the traditional "you are free to go". They should be sued for unlawful imprisonment.
  • Options
    In addition to that below, I think we'll look back on April 5th 2014 as a very significant moment, when the 5 year stockmarket rally came to an end. All things have to come to an end, I never expected this one to take so long, but we all live and learn, and become better people for the experience.
  • Options
    @hunchman

April 2014 was going to be an extremely difficult moment.

Not that I am casting aspersions on your predictions, but have you not mentioned "imminent melt down" once or twice before?
  • Options
    Don't worry Hodges, just checked the details of tonights Yougov poll and in the subsection of males born on the Isle of Dogs in a barn who iron their clothes on a Wednesday the Tories lead Labour by 50%, so the headlines figure can be ignored.....Tory huge majority nailed on!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead doubles to six points: CON 32%, LAB 38%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 14%"

twitter.com/Sun_Politics/status/454361941285154816
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited April 2014
    AveryLP said:

My impression though is that the police may have erred on the side of "breaking down" barriers when taking the original statements. Understandable in the general circumstances and no doubt an area of policy which needs further consideration. It is clear though that some, if not all, of the witnesses did report incidents to the police and the investigation moved on properly from this starting point.

The Code for Crown Prosecutors, which governs the prosecutorial discretion of the CPS, is clear that even when there is sufficient evidence to create a realistic prospect of conviction, a defendant should not be charged unless it is in the public interest to do so. In relation to nearly all the counts of indecent and sexual assault, we know the following. The allegations were minor, and were at the bottom range of the offending scale. The complainants did not make an allegation to the police, did not consider themselves victims or that anything criminal had occurred. Some of these minor allegations were a decade old, predating the entry into force of the 2003 Act. It appears prima facie unarguable that it was in the public interest to institute proceedings in respect of these matters. What was going on was likely a dubious attempt by the Crown to take advantage of cross-admissibility, supported by a questionable theory of escalating offending. The trial judge, King J, ought to have stepped in, and severed the rape count from the remaining counts on the indictment. Aspects of this, and other recent sex cases, are gravely contrary to the interests of public justice.
  • Options
    Barnes said:

Polls pointing to a Tory slump.

What shall we talk about on "Political" Betting tomorrow? Universities? Dickens? Trains? Positive Discrimination? Swingback? Cornflakes?

You're missing Ed is crap threads aren't you ?
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Worth a visit.

Nonsense AR. The best market as many have vouched is indubitably Camden Market which is full of media savvy moguls and glitterati. Not only is it internationally unique, but it has a bigger turnover than all the UK regions combined. If today HMG introduced a sales tax of just 0.000004% on all goods sold at the market it would clear our national debt by 3.15 pm next Tueseday.
    Oh yes, Camden Market - a leading contender for the World Of Hype award.

Although I think they need to work on their wikipedia page as it looks like a poorer version of Albert Square:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Camden_markets_entrance.JPG

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@hunchman

April 2014 was going to be an extremely difficult moment.

Not that I am casting aspersions on your predictions, but have you not mentioned "imminent melt down" once or twice before?

Yes I have, and I'm not forecasting an imminent meltdown, it'll take time for things to get going downhill, as all of these things do. One of the things I underestimated was the demographics propping things up, particularly amongst the 1% elite, who's spending tends to peak later at age 51/52, rather than 46 for the population at large. And with our ever so skewed income distribution in this crazy economy of ours, that matters a great deal. I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the Daily Mail headline today, 'house prices to soar to 2020' or something similar. I bet all those Mail readers will be thanking their stars for following that advice in 2 or 3 years time!
  • Options
    It's ok you handful of PB lefties crowing about a six point lead and no crossover, well you are going to be proved wrong, crossover is nigh, Tory majority nailed on. The reason can be found below(pick you favourite and the poster associated with it ;-) )

If the economy continues to grow
    If wages outstrip inflation
    If Ukip returns to the Tories
    If Lib Dems return home
    If Ukip only take off the Tories in safe Tory areas
    If Labour voters don't vote tactically in Lib Dem seats
    If Toby gets his way and Ukip and Tory voters vote tactically
    If Ukip goes to 5%
    If the Lib Dems head back towards 20%
    If Ed remains crap
    If house prices soar
    If Scotland votes for independence
    If Labours campaign is crap
    If Lynton gets his finger out
    If unemployment keeps falling
    If Cameron goes *ahem* cast iron on the in/out referendum
    If the Tory MP's of the right stop their suicide mission
    If the unions pull the plug on Labours money so they cannot fund a campaign
    If there is a breakout of war
    If the falling Tory membership still manages to campaign hard
    If only they had got the boundary changes through
    If there is swingback
    If Ashcrofts marginal polling is wrong
    If the Tory vote was spread out more like Labours and not building up in seats that are safe
    If Ed is found eating kittens or some other scandal
    If the Lib Dems get rid of Nick Clegg and replace him with someone more left wing
    If Ukip don't stand against Euro-sceptic Tory MP's
    If the focus goes back onto the two Ed's
    If Labours manifesto is torn apart by the press
    If the country sees sense
    If the right wing voters hold their nose about Cameron and vote Tory
    If the voters realise what a fantastic job the coalition has been doing
    If the raising of the minimum wage will sway floating voters toffs do have hearts
    If Labour polling figures are being exaggerated
    If the electoral bias in FPTP is not as big as it has been historically
    If the press decide to attack the two Eds with even more venom in the run up to the election
    If the Ukip supporters realise that voting Labour means the will be less chance of a Euro referendum

Pick you favourites, hold them close to your chest lovingly and keep repeating them until we get the forever moving date for the crossover in the polls to actually happen
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,138
    On the earlier thread about the key importance of those LDs who have defected to Labour, it should be pointed out that this is really social democrats returning home, indeed the 36% or so Labour is presently polling is the total Callaghan got before the formation of the SDP. The Tories should therefore focus on getting as near as possible to the 40% plus Thatcher and Major received, ie maintaining the 14% of 2010 LDs who have defected to the Tories, and winning back the 45% of UKIP voters who voted Tory in 2010
  • Options
    Ed is crap, Cameron is the personification of godliness and dyno rodism?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

It's ok you handful of PB lefties crowing about a six point lead and no crossover, well you are going to be proved wrong, crossover is nigh, Tory majority nailed on. The reason can be found below(pick you favourite and the poster associated with it ;-) )

If Lib Dems return home
    If Ukip goes to 5%
    If Ed remains crap
    If house prices soar
    If there is swingback
    If the Tory vote was spread out more like Labours and not building up in seats that are safe
    If the Lib Dems get rid of Nick Clegg and replace him with someone more left wing
    If the raising of the minimum wage will sway floating voters toffs do have hearts
    If the press decide to attack the two Eds with even more venom in the run up to the election
    If the Ukip supporters realise that voting Labour means the will be less chance of a Euro referendum

Pick you favourites, hold them close to your chest lovingly and keep repeating them until we get the forever moving date for the crossover in the polls to actually happen

This is not amusing any more.. A joke is funny maybe a few times if you stretch it, but eventually its just a pile of doodoo as is your meme.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,989
    I can get 400-1 on Poulter now, should I pile on ?
  • Options
    edited April 2014

If Lib Dems return home
    If Ukip goes to 5%
    If Ed remains crap
    If house prices soar
    If there is swingback

This is not amusing any more.. A joke is funny maybe a few times if you stretch it, but eventually its just a pile of doodoo as is your meme.
    LOL, the joke the Hodges keep telling about the crossover was funny two and half years ago, and they still keep repeating the joke no matter how stupid they look.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Christ, yes, that is fecking OUTRAGEOUS. If you are acquitted, you are an innocent man or woman, and they do not have the right to hold you for one second after the jury says N - for Not Guilty.

Something I agree with SeanT about. What happens to Jacobs sounds completely disgraceful. Not guilty is not guilty and no jobsworths should get in the way.

As for YouGov, watching it from day to day is curiously restful, like the bad old days when goldfish were kept in bowls (does anyone still do that?) and you could watch them swimming round and round forever.
  • Options
    Re @DavidL & @SeanT
    It is utterly shocking. If the trial judge, Mr Justice Nicol, didn't say "you are free to go", Mr Griffiths QC should have immediately applied for his discharge from custody. If the judge did say, "you are free to go", the prison authorities were in contempt, as well as potentially liable for false imprisonment. Once acquitted, there is no difference between a defendant remanded on bail or into custody. Sean, things might have changed since your trial. Many of the courts at the Bailey have secure docks now, so the defendant cannot leap therefrom. Court 1 still has a traditional dock though.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Sean,

Nice to see you get passionate about the Union on PB, but aren't you being premature?

There are two big sets of elections due in May, but you want Labour to fight on a third front, the independence referendum?

When, not if, the Tories are thrashed in May, this will be a huge fillip for No, no chance of a Tory Government in the GE. (Sorry PB Tories).

But to cheer you up, I offer my own help in the No campaigning.

In 2006, Labour education minister, Alan Johnston, proposed a measure that would have seriously hampered the setting up of new Catholic schools in England. Despite not affecting Catholic education in Scotland, Catholic MPs from the West of Scotland helped not only block the measure, but reverse it.

The proportion of Catholics in Scotland is much higher than in England, so for English Catholics it is definitely Better Together.

Anyone want to arrange a speaking tour of Catholic parishes in Scotland for me?
  • Options

AveryLP said:

My impression though is that the police may have erred on the side of "breaking down" barriers when taking the original statements. Understandable in the general circumstances and no doubt an area of policy which needs further consideration. It is clear though that some, if not all, of the witnesses did report incidents to the police and the investigation moved on properly from this starting point.

The Code for Crown Prosecutors, which governs the prosecutorial discretion of the CPS, is clear that even when there is sufficient evidence to create a realistic prospect of conviction, a defendant should not be charged unless it is in the public interest to do so. In relation to nearly all the counts of indecent and sexual assault, we know the following. The allegations were minor, and were at the bottom range of the offending scale. The complainants did not make an allegation to the police, did not consider themselves victims or that anything criminal had occurred. Some of these minor allegations were a decade old, predating the entry into force of the 2003 Act. It appears prima facie unarguable that it was in the public interest to institute proceedings in respect of these matters. What was going on was likely a dubious attempt by the Crown to take advantage of cross-admissibility, supported by a questionable theory of escalating offending. The trial judge, King J, ought to have stepped in, and severed the rape count from the remaining counts on the indictment. Aspects of this, and other recent sex cases, are gravely contrary to the interests of public justice.
    What is concerning me greatly with all this old rubbish being brought before the courts now is that the good sense of juries is giving a dangerous message. If you are advising a client now facing historic sex charges with no DNA how do you advise a guilty plea (short of a confession)? Even with discounted sentences the guilty as well as the innocent will fancy their chances and genuine victims will be put through a completely unnecessary experience, sometimes with terrible consequences.

We have seen this in rape cases where public policy has made it extremely difficult to drop a case if it has any chance of getting to the jury. Let them take the responsibility is the weak way out and the consequence is more trials than there should be.

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Christ, yes, that is fecking OUTRAGEOUS. If you are acquitted, you are an innocent man or woman, and they do not have the right to hold you for one second after the jury says N - for Not Guilty.

I literally - no exaggeration - JUMPED out of the dock even as the judge was beginning to say Mister Thomas, You are free to g

I barged past the startled cops, ran down the length of the Old Bailey, and slammed out into the fresh air and turned my face to the sun. Glorious moment. Just amazing.

However I was on bail? Perhaps you are referring to people remanded in custody. But in a way it is even WORSE if they are kept in for one more night: they've been unjustly imprisoned all the way to their trial.

LET THEM GO.
    Great story. Shades of Daniel Day Lewis: "I'm a free man, and I'm going out the front door."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,138
    Interesting that despite all the talk of the inept NO campaign and its relentless negativity, today's Survation has NO still leading 56% to 44% once Don't Knows are excluded (a slight drop for YES)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

On the earlier thread about the key importance of those LDs who have defected to Labour, it should be pointed out that this is really social democrats returning home, indeed the 36% or so Labour is presently polling is the total Callaghan got before the formation of the SDP. The Tories should therefore focus on getting as near as possible to the 40% plus Thatcher and Major received, ie maintaining the 14% of 2010 LDs who have defected to the Tories, and winning back the 45% of UKIP voters who voted Tory in 2010

That was in a completely different era, in a far more deferential age, and the last time the Tories acheived over 40% back in 1992, well 22 years later and around a third of those voters are no longer around, all my 4 grandparents included. So you're comparing apples and oranges. And it's not just happened in Britain, its happened virtually everywhere with a great fragmentation of the electorate into disparate groupings. Having been to Vienna recently, on the underground there I saw a poll in the national newspaper - FPO (HC Strasse and the far right) 26%, SPO (Socialist Party) 24% and the centre right (OVP IIRC) 21%.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

In addition to that below, I think we'll look back on April 5th 2014 as a very significant moment, when the 5 year stockmarket rally came to an end. All things have to come to an end, I never expected this one to take so long, but we all live and learn, and become better people for the experience.

Well if you're right it would be ironic that the 1999 FTSE100 all time high will still remain.

Remember earlier in the year when the media was full of articles predicting a new stock market peak "any day now, possibly even tomorrow" and a year end FTSE100 of 7,500 or higher ?
  • Options
    Barnes said:

What shall we talk about on "Political" Betting tomorrow? Universities? Dickens? Trains? Positive Discrimination? Swingback? Cornflakes?

Does it mean the Mockney/Londoner debate was settled? I certainly hope so.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Barnes said:

It's on hold until we get a 7%+ Labour lead then the whole mockney/cockney/jockney debate starts again.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Great story. Shades of Daniel Day Lewis: "I'm a free man, and I'm going out the front door."

In the Name of the Father is of course fictitious in nearly every respect, and traduced the English legal system for the benefit of a (largely) American audience.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Channel 4 News ‏@Channel4News 1h

David Cameron says the Big Society was "invented by Jesus" but will his profession of faith appeal to voters? #c4news http://bit.ly/1i5PXmL

"Jesus invented the Big Society 2,000 years ago; I just want to see more of it,"

"If there are things that are stopping you from doing more, think of me as a giant Dyno-Rod" he added.

*tears of laughter etc.*

The comedy fop is well and truly back. Only a day after the hilarity of Miller and Fabricant.

No doubt the PB tories will have been cheering Dyno-Fop on as he preached the 'good news'.

:)
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@another_richard

The Conservative and Anti Unionist Party?

What few people seem to realise is that the Unionist bit refers to the old Liberal Unionist party and relates to 19th century Irish Unionism and not modern Scotland.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

David Cameron says the Big Society was "invented by Jesus" but will his profession of faith appeal to voters? #c4news http://bit.ly/1i5PXmL

"Jesus invented the Big Society 2,000 years ago; I just want to see more of it,"

"If there are things that are stopping you from doing more, think of me as a giant Dyno-Rod" he added.

*tears of laughter etc.*

The comedy fop is well and truly back. Only a day after the hilarity of Miller and Fabricant.

No doubt the PB tories will have been cheering Dyno-Fop on as he preached the 'good news'.

Jesus wept.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

In the Name of the Father is of course fictitious in nearly every respect, and traduced the English legal system for the benefit of a (largely) American audience.
    Groan. I know. Good scene though.
  • Options

Re @DavidL & @SeanT
    It is utterly shocking. If the trial judge, Mr Justice Nicol, didn't say "you are free to go", Mr Griffiths QC should have immediately applied for his discharge from custody. If the judge did say, "you are free to go", the prison authorities were in contempt, as well as potentially liable for false imprisonment. Once acquitted, there is no difference between a defendant remanded on bail or into custody. Sean, things might have changed since your trial. Many of the courts at the Bailey have secure docks now, so the defendant cannot leap therefrom. Court 1 still has a traditional dock though.

I sat through a court case for GBH/ABH in November. The dock was enclosed in glass with a Prison Officer guard inside. 5 out of 6 of the defendants were found guilty, but the one acquitted was immediately released after his lawyer requested this and his costs were to be reimbursed. He went and sat in the public gallery to see what would happen to his mates.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

*tears of laughter etc.*

Christ on a bike!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

Worth a visit.

Oh yes, Camden Market - a leading contender for the World Of Hype award.

Although I think they need to work on their wikipedia page as it looks like a poorer version of Albert Square:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Camden_markets_entrance.JPG

A part of Camden Market just sold for £400,000,000. Not bad for a few tatty stalls.

http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2014/apr/hawley-wharf-development-site-sold-brick-laid
    I don't doubt that its prime development land but that means the market itself has negative value.

Get rid of the tatty stalls and flog off the land to profligate foreigners.
  • Options
    Barnes said:

Ninoinoz said:

Barnes said:

It's on hold until we get a 7%+ Labour lead then the whole mockney/cockney/jockney debate starts again.
    Such a long time of bad news for the Tories, PB posters must be running out of things to talk about.

Polls showing a Labour win again, has anyone made anything interesting out of toilet rolls recently?
    They never run out of things to discuss when a poll comes along not favourable to the Hodges. The squirellisation of PB in the face of a poll they do not like is an art form for some.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    Its Coal Aston not Ashton. Its the posh part of Dronfield right on the Sheffield border. A labour gain would be a massive surprise
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What is concerning me greatly with all this old rubbish being brought before the courts now is that the good sense of juries is giving a dangerous message. If you are advising a client now facing historic sex charges with no DNA how do you advise a guilty plea (short of a confession)? Even with discounted sentences the guilty as well as the innocent will fancy their chances and genuine victims will be put through a completely unnecessary experience, sometimes with terrible consequences.

We have seen this in rape cases where public policy has made it extremely difficult to drop a case if it has any chance of getting to the jury. Let them take the responsibility is the weak way out and the consequence is more trials than there should be.

I'm not sure what the position is in Scotland, but what has been going on in England is very worrying. The CPS has been taking the Bractonian maxim that time doesn't run against the king to levels unseen since the days of the quo warranto cases in the thirteenth century. The more historic the allegations are, especially when it has previously been decided not to prosecute, the closer the proceedings come to being an abuse of process.

There are understandable public policy reasons for treating victims of sexual offences with dignity. The problem with that approach, however, in the context of the criminal justice system, is that it presumes what the Crown are required to prove.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Barnes

'What shall we talk about on "Political" Betting tomorrow? Universities? Dickens? Trains? Positive Discrimination? Swingback? Cornflakes?'

Surely the truly awesome 6% lead held by the only opposition party after 4 years of austerity and a year before a GE.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Well if you're right it would be ironic that the 1999 FTSE100 all time high will still remain.

Remember earlier in the year when the media was full of articles predicting a new stock market peak "any day now, possibly even tomorrow" and a year end FTSE100 of 7,500 or higher ?
    Yes, I think that 31st December 1999 peak will remain. Well, absolutely everybody almost to the last man standing is bullish and euphoric right now (or at the end of last week at least). Investor sentiment has been absolutely off the charts, heck even Greece has been able to tap the international bond market for 11bn euros of 5 year paper. Who in their right minds would lend to Greece after the experience of the past 6 years?!!

And as for a piece of Camden Market going for £400m, well greater fool them - it could only happen right at the top of a credit bubble. Whilst people have forgotten the lessons from the bursting of the tech bubble in 2000, and the property bubble in 2007, I don't think they'll forget the lessons of this one bursting in a hurry. As they say, you can forgive something twice, but a third time.......no, no and thrice no!!

There is a big slew of companies starting to default right now in China, I think it is just but the start of it all: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-09/asian-data-double-whammy-sparks-fomc-exuberance-unwind
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Barnes

'What shall we talk about on "Political" Betting tomorrow? Universities? Dickens? Trains? Positive Discrimination? Swingback? Cornflakes?'

Surely the truly awesome 6% lead held by the only opposition party after 4 years of austerity and a year before a GE.

Here is me still thinking it was a mid-term poll....bah!
  • Options
    The connection between the Stock Market and the economy and more specifically between the FTSE 100 and the UK economy is tenuous at best but I would be very surprised if the stock market did not finish the year up from here. There is a lot of good news to come and even if much of it has been priced in there is still room for some upside.
This discussion has been closed.