Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: March 20th 2014

124»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I like the kangaroo on the Royal Australian Air Force ensign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ensign_of_the_Royal_Australian_Air_Force.svg
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Indonesia refused US search aircraft overflight rights of its territory.

What a helpful bunch they all are.

If you look at the southern flight path, it would have been very difficult for MH370 to have avoided Indonesian airspace, especially on autopilot. So maybe Indonesia missed it, or their radars may not have been switched on, something they wouldn't want to admit.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    "Investor In People" is the one that makes me reach for the sick bag.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I wouldn't over-estimate regulations. Small businesses in the UK are among the free-est of any in the developed world, and certainly massively less regulated than ones in the US. To put in context, a limited company in the UK is basically only required to fill out about four forms a year for the government - one for corporation tax, and three for Companies House. If you are VAT registered then it's a bit worse - but it's certainly not got any worse since the early 1970s.

Sorry mate but you've made yourself look a bit silly with that comment.

I can assure you that all the payroll, environmental, H&S, QA etc requirements amount to much more than they did ten or twenty years ago.
    I have founded a number (at least five) of UK businesses, and I can assure you that there is surprisingly little regulation - at least in the technology sectors that I'm typically involved in.

Payroll regulations are likely handled by your outsourced payroll provider, which will do everything for you at a cost of a couple of quid per employee per month.

Environmental regulations for a software company, or anything white collar are pretty much non-existant. Even for the solar battery business I was involved in (which actually made things), there virtually nothing that any responsible employer wouldn't do. (Meeting CE standards is not a major difficulty.)

Heallth & Safety regulations for most businesses involves sticking a poster on the wall, and making sure you have liability insurance.

What is QA? And what are the regulations.
    We live in different worlds Bob.

A manufacturing business 'up north' will be dealing with environmental and H&S regulations which very much do exist and grow year on year, with associated costs. They're not likely to have an 'outsourced payroll provider' either.

But surely you must have heard of QA ? Quality Assurance is one of those business services in which the UK is supposedly a world leader and involves tedious old geezers visiting businesses to look at their paperwork for which they get paid thousands. The businesses in return are able to put a little logo at the bottom of their headed paper informing the world that they reached standard suchandsuch. I am reliably informed that the world, or at least the business, will end if this process isn't continually carried out.

As I say we live in different worlds and there's nothing wrong with that but I suspect that the experiences of the likes of you and Charles, rather than say those of the likes of Alanbrooke and myself, are taken into account much more by the powers that be.

• Options
    "Malaysia failed to act on satellite data that showed missing flight MH370 flew for another seven hours after it disappeared, it has been revealed.

Inmarsat, a British satellite company, has told the BBC that it knew on March 11 that the plane was likely to be in either the southern Indian Ocean or central Malaysia and not the Malacca Strait or South China Sea.

The company handed the information over to Malaysia on March 12, but then the country apparently failed to act on the data.

Inmarsat has now spoken out over fears that the search has been mishandled because Malaysia did not publicly acknowledge the data until March 15."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/flight-mh370-malaysia-knew-plane-3265129
  • Options
    I just finished watching This Week. Portillo very good especially when he asked why the Americans seemed to know nothing of what was afoot in Crimea despite their huge spying programme.

I fear Diane was a bit emotional this evening. At one stage Michael was having to help her finish a sentence.

Liam Halligan- came across as a combination of being slimey and fearing another water boarding if he did not say the right thing.
  • Options
    Another report on the fact that Inmarsat had a good idea the plane was in south Indian Ocean on 9th March:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/satellite-company-pinpointed-location-missing-malaysia-jet-10/t/story?id=22992927
  • Options
    No! Is Ed being stupid or is it a Machiavellian plot to set up Cameron for "losing Scotland".
    Miliband: Vote No to honour legacy of John Smith
  • Options
    Why was Diane emotional?
  • Options
    You beat me to it with the second article. I saw the Gordon Brewer interview with Johann Lamont. He looked as if his chin was super glued to the studio floor. If they had solely trained the camera on the interviewer's face, the audience would have thought she would doing the dance of the seven veils in front of him wearing nothing but heavy woollen gloves.
    fitalass said:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    She looked tired as well, Andy. Maybe she had just been back from a wake for the recently deceased and needed a bit more of his favourite tipple :)
    AndyJS said:

Why was Diane emotional?

• Options
    Wroxham by-election result

A new Broadland District Councillor has been elected for the Wroxham Ward after last night’s (Thursday 20 March) by-election.

Liberal Democrat candidate Alex Cassam was duly elected after receiving 482 votes. The full election result was as follows:

Alex Cassam, Lib Dems, 482
    Malcolm Kenneth Kemp, Labour, 63
    David John Moreland, UKIP, 112
    Fran Whymark, Conservative, 341

In total, 998 votes were cast, of which 310 were postal votes. Turnout was 25 per cent.

The by-election took place after Liberal Democrat Ben McGilvray resigned from his position as councillor for Wroxham last month after moving away from the district.

The result in 2011 was:

wroxham

Ball Nicholas Green 197
    Buckle Steve Liberal Democrat 829
    Fursse Ken Labour 227
    Green Chris Conservative 741
    McGilvray Ben Liberal Democrat 985
    Slater Greg Conservative 537

Released on 06/05/2011
  • Options
    The figures for Wroxham in comparison with 2011 are:

LD 48.3 -3.2

CON 34.2 -2.1

UKIP 11.2 +11.2

LAB 6.3 -0.3

GREEN 0 5.6 -5.6
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    ""The fact that David Cameron is Prime Minister blinds us to the fact that the Conservative Party hasn't won an election in 25 years, if current trends continue Bow Group research has shown that UKIP will overtake the Conservative Party's membership within a decade."

Get in there Lord T!
  • Options
    "The fact that David Cameron is Prime Minister blinds us to the fact that the Conservative Party hasn't won an election in 25 years, if current trends continue Bow Group research has shown that UKIP will overtake the Conservative Party's membership within a decade."

Get in there Lord T!
  • Options
    "The fact that David Cameron is Prime Minister blinds us to the fact that the Conservative Party hasn't won an election in 25 years, if current trends continue Bow Group research has shown that UKIP will overtake the Conservative Party's membership within a decade.
  • Options
    "The fact that David Cameron is Prime Minister blinds us to the fact that the Conservative Party hasn't won an election in 25 years, if current trends continue Bow Group research has shown that UKIP will overtake the Conservative Party's membership within a decade."

Ouch.
  • Options
    The fact that David Cameron is Prime Minister blinds us to the fact that the Conservative Party hasn't won an election in 25 years, if current trends continue Bow Group research has shown that UKIP will overtake the Conservative Party's membership within a decade.
This discussion has been closed.