Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Osborne’s budget is a narrative changer that could have the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Osborne’s budget is a narrative changer that could have the same effect on the polls as his October 2007 move on IHT

Downing Street will be delighted with the coverage that Osborne’s budget is getting in the papers this morning and my view is that we could start to see a change in the media narrative.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    'just possible', 'crossover'...

LOL

Are you all-green now, then?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449
    Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 ·2 mins
    Godfrey Bloom isn't too happy with #budget2014! "How we can possibly be giving £1bn a month to Bingo Bingo Land is completely beyond me."
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    RodCrosby said:

'just possible', 'crossover'...

LOL

Are you all-green now, then?

Of course I'm all green. I've got GE2015 wagers with Dan Hodges and Harry Phibbs at evens which I've more than covered overnight so that whatever happens I make a profit. I bet to make money not to make political points.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Curious how even the uber-Cleggite wee Danny doesn't seem too impressed with the incompetent fops.

Gaby Hinsliff ‏@gabyhinsliff 3h

Let them eat bingo ad is 'patronising' and demeans important policies says Danny Alexander #newsnight

Telegraph Politics ‏@TelePolitics 19m

Budget 2014: Danny Alexander ridicules Tories for 'condescending' beer and bingo advert http://tgr.ph/1j90FHi

Ben Riley-Smith ‏@benrileysmith 3h

Danny Alexander brutal on Tory bingo ad: "I thought it was a spoof...It may be our budget but it's their words...quite patronising really."
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    It might depend on how many voters have enough spare cash at the end of each month for the increases in savings limits to make any difference.
  • Options
    Sky: Aussie PM says "two objects" sighted which may be related to MH370 in the Southern Indian Ocean...
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    No indication whether the objects located by satellite are on land or sea.

My immediate reaction was that it must be on sea as "objects" suggest debris from a crashed plane but the Mail article linked by Andy was suggesting that the pilot had been practising landing at a remote Indian Ocean island on his Flight Sim.

For the families sake, I think that this point needs urgent clarification.
  • Options
    Spotted by satellite, apparently - so I'd guess, pretty big and on the surface...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Spotted by satellite, apparently - so I'd guess, pretty big and on the surface...

Sea surface or land surface?!
  • Options
    "In waters off Perth", apparently.

Aussie Maritime Safety press conference in 50 mins. Aircraft on scene at "2pm", not sure what timezone. Either now (Canberra time) or in a few hours...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

"In waters off Perth", apparently.

Aussie Maritime Safety press conference in 50 mins. Aircraft on scene at "2pm", not sure what timezone. Either now (Canberra time) or in a few hours...

Most likely but this is still not official.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I think this is it.

Only question is how did if end up there? Seems a weird way to commit suicide.

On the other hand, if it was a fire, how could it be bad enough to kill everyone on board, but not serious enough to allow the plane to fly on autopilot for another 7 hours?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think this is it.

Perhaps. If they can find Tony Bullimore in the same area, a plane (or parts thereof) shouldn't pose a huge challenge...

Inherent Anglo-Saxon maritime expertise, innit?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

I think this is it.

Perhaps. If they can find Tony Bullimore in the same area, a plane (or parts thereof) shouldn't pose a huge challenge...

Inherent Anglo-Saxon maritime expertise, innit?
    The Australians have the best "never give up" attitude of any country, and having a few of their own citizens on board would have intensified that.

If it hadn't been for those pings being transmitted to a British company, the plane probably wouldn't gave been found, assuming it is.
  • Options
    Matt Wells @MatthewWells
    Could be a big scoop in store for (American) ABC's @wrightups who's on the P8 plane arriving at MH370 search site any minute now
  • Options
    Canberra Press Conference imminent...
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Matt Wells @MatthewWells
    Could be a big scoop in store for (American) ABC's @wrightups who's on the P8 plane arriving at MH370 search site any minute now

Let's hope he's got a satellite phone with him.
  • Options
    @AndyJS

'Only question is how did if end up there? Seems a weird way to commit suicide.'

Let me guess... They were the aeronautical version of "boat-people", didn't quite make it, ran out of fuel, and dropped in the drink...

Strewth!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

@AndyJS

'Only question is how did if end up there? Seems a weird way to commit suicide.'

Let me guess... They were the aeronautical version of "boat-people", didn't quite make it, ran out of fuel, and dropped in the drink...

Strewth!

Sir Roderick

Much simpler explanation.

The plane took a left turn.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

The plane took a left turn.

very sinister...
  • Options
    Is it possible to have a fire on board which is
  • Options
    Whoops, that was a copy from earlier and the edit function isn't working.

I'm not sure how much help the black boxes will be, especially the voice recorder. Maybe the data recorder would give some useful information.
  • Options
    Press Conference Live on Sky

T-2...
  • Options
    2,500 km SW of Perth...
  • Options
    Aircraft dropping marker buoys...
  • Options
    Warship days away now en route, capable of verifying the objects as part of MH370...
  • Options
    Largest object 24 metres...
  • Options
    Largest object 24 metres.
  • Options
    So several days (my estimate 3) before vessel capable of definitive analysis arrives on scene...
  • Options
    This is cleary being taken seriously.

Two Aussie, One Kiwi and One US surveillance planes deployed plus a Hercules C130.

Commercial ship on site currently and military ships being deployed to area.

Commercial high resolution satellite images commissioned.
  • Options
    ABSA "doing best" to discover any survivors, in direct question about relatives...
  • Options
    "Commercial ship on site currently"

That's fortunate. Maybe it can take a few photos and send them to the Aussies.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I don't think it has located the debris picked up by satellite though.

• Options
    Images will be provided "at earliest opportunity"...
  • Options
    Ends...
  • Options
    Could there be survivors clinging to wreckage?

Christ-on-a-bike....
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think it has located the debris picked up by satellite though.

The statement was that it had responded to requests for information on ships in the are and had agreed to move to site and remain there. Conference statement was that it had already reached the area.

• Options
    P-8 spotter plane reports "significant radar returns"...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

https://twitter.com/WrightUps
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Can't see how David Wright could have got that info out given his earlier tweet before boarding:

David Wright ‏@WrightUps 6h
    The electronics on board the P-8 - Top Secret. We have to surrender phones, iPads, laptops & cameras before boarding pic.twitter.com/9yqqyn823m
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Twitter.com/WilliamsJon/status/446508093091119104
  • Options
    Here’s the official statement just released from AMSA:

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority is coordinating the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines aircraft, with assistance from the Australian Defence Force, the New Zealand Air Force and the United States Navy.

AMSA’s Rescue Coordination Centre Australia has received satellite imagery of objects possibly related to the search for the missing aircraft, flight MH370.

RCC Australia received an expert assessment of commercial satellite imagery on Thursday.

The images were captured by satellite. They may not be related to the aircraft.

The assessment of these images was provided by the Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organisation as a possible indication of debris south of the search area that has been the focus of the search operation.

The imagery is in the vicinity of the search area defined and searched in the past two days.

Four aircraft have been reoriented to the area 2500 kilometres south-west of Perth as a result of this information.

A Royal Australian Air Force Orion aircraft arrived in the area about 1.50pm.

A further three aircraft have been tasked by RCC Australia to the area later today, including a Royal New Zealand Air Force Orion and United States Navy P8 Poseidon aircraft.

The Poseidon aircraft is expected to arrive at 3pm. The second RAAF Orion is expected to depart RAAF Base Pearce at 6pm.

The New Zealand Orion is due to depart at 8pm.

A RAAF C-130 Hercules aircraft has been tasked by RCC Australia to drop datum marker buoys.

These marker buoys assist RCC Australia by providing information about water movement to assist in drift modelling. They will provide an ongoing reference point if the task of relocating the objects becomes protracted.

A merchant ship that responded to a shipping broadcast issued by RCC Australia on Monday is
    expected to arrive in the area about 6pm.

Royal Australian Navy ship HMAS Success is en route to the area but is some days away from this area. She is well equipped to recover any objects located and proven to be from MH370.

The focus for AMSA is to continue the search operation, with all available assets.

The assets are searching for anything signs of the missing aircraft.

Weather conditions are moderate in the Southern Indian Ocean where the search is taking place. Poor visibility has been reported.

AMSA continues to hold grave concerns for the passengers and crew on board.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Nick Palmer:

Thanks for replying to my question in the previous thread. Appreciated.
  • Options
    Back on topic I think the impact is going to depend on several things. As a political budget this is a clever one. The Tories have two electoral problems - their lost votes to UKIP, and Labour defectors to LibDem going back to Labour. The budget clearly targets the former - having given the kippers what they thought they wanted in the form of the in-out referendum and seen no move in the polls they're going after another kipper complaint. So tactically its a good ploy. Will it address the UKIP defectors main concern - that they despise Cameron and don't trust him? Perhaps.

For the second group - the Labour returnees - this does nothing. Giving people who can't save extra tax free savings isn't just worthless, it also hammers home that whilst they struggle those with more cash are being given financial help which they can't have.

Then we have the group both sides want - the don't vote any mores. I can see this move motivating them to vote both for Conservative and Labour depending on their circumstance, so its a question of which side can get the most people out and voting.

Final point - its another car crash day for the LibDems. If the savings and pension changes are seen as a good thing, it's clear that its a Tory policy ridiculed by Pox MPs like Danny Alexander last night. If they're seen as unpopular, Pox MPs will trot loyally through the government lobbies thus making it their responsibility. Either way, the motivation to vote LibDem remains concentrated on their remaining activists and few others.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Lucky the plane wasn't found 24hrs earlier.

Labour supporters shouldn't dismiss these pension changes (was Ed calling for them ? No ) many many people are now in defined benefit schemes and these changes give much needed flexibility.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Did Danny Alexander ridicule the tax and pension changes last night? All I saw was him describe Schaps tweet as patronizing, no adverse comments on the pension changes.

LD to Labour switchers are often guardianistas in the public sector, so often with significant savings.

It looks as if Labour is unsure about whether to stick up for annuity providers against reckless pensioners.

Back on topic I think the impact is going to depend on several things. As a political budget this is a clever one. The Tories have two electoral problems - their lost votes to UKIP, and Labour defectors to LibDem going back to Labour. The budget clearly targets the former - having given the kippers what they thought they wanted in the form of the in-out referendum and seen no move in the polls they're going after another kipper complaint. So tactically its a good ploy. Will it address the UKIP defectors main concern - that they despise Cameron and don't trust him? Perhaps.

For the second group - the Labour returnees - this does nothing. Giving people who can't save extra tax free savings isn't just worthless, it also hammers home that whilst they struggle those with more cash are being given financial help which they can't have.

Then we have the group both sides want - the don't vote any mores. I can see this move motivating them to vote both for Conservative and Labour depending on their circumstance, so its a question of which side can get the most people out and voting.

Final point - its another car crash day for the LibDems. If the savings and pension changes are seen as a good thing, it's clear that its a Tory policy ridiculed by Pox MPs like Danny Alexander last night. If they're seen as unpopular, Pox MPs will trot loyally through the government lobbies thus making it their responsibility. Either way, the motivation to vote LibDem remains concentrated on their remaining activists and few others.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    I did say last weekend that we could well see a few crossover polls post-budget in the wake of highly enthusiastic headlines. I expect we probably will now. Clearly, older voters now toying with UKIP are a significant target demographic for the Tories and the savings/pension measures will be very attractive to them. The key will be to sustain any surge in support as the announced changes will not have an immediate impact.

The fact that savings/pensions so totally dominates the headlines may actually leave a lot of voters wondering whether the budget has done anything much for them. And I am not sure it will do much to persuade Labour-inclined people to peel away. The Tories have to see Labour regularly scoring below 35% to have a chance in May 2015. And that remains a huge challenge for them.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    Another good post by Mr Pioneers. According to the BBC calculator my wife & I will be about £200 better off next year, entirely from our State pensions, or a bit more if we switch from wine to beer as our tipple. Assuming of course that the brewers pass it on!
    We have two big concerns.The big “what-if” is care costs. At the moment we’re articulate and quite fit; but what’s going to happen if we do need long-term care.With heavy pressure on local authorities and on the NHS, what’s going to happen. It’s not only a question of being able to save a bit more. We’d have to be able to put a LOT more away to be able to afford 5 star care homes. Even if we did, we’ll still need medical care. That which we’ve had, and seen, from the NHS so far has been excellent, although obviously there are significant pressures on staff.
    Secondly, what about our children and, more importantly, our grandchildren. Some on this site decry public sector workers, but someone’s going to be needed, for example, to teach future generations; two of our grandchildren are doing that, and already they’re getting demotivated by the constant extra workloads for no reward.
    Younger grandchildren are going through school and we see the constant pressure on those establishments.
  • Options
    It was an excellent budget - and I think OGH is right that it will change perceptions a bit.

The virtuous have had two fingers waved at them for a long time. Not over-borrowing, saving, building a pension pot, being financially responsible - these are things any country needs its citizens to do. But doing so has not yielded any significant benefits in recent years, thus creating some terrible moral hazards ('I don't need to look after myself because the nanny state will look after me').

Yesterday was a return towards the necessary rewarding of good behaviour. And so it will be hard for Labour to criticise.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Labour supporters shouldn't dismiss these pension changes (was Ed calling for them ? No ) many many people are now in defined benefit schemes and these changes give much needed flexibility.

Labour will back the changes, not least because they will raise extra tax revenues.

I am not sure, but I think at least some of the reforms will not be available to public sector employees on final salary schemes. If they all cashed in their pension pots it would leave the government in something of a hole.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    Thought it was quite a clever budget. Clearly targeted at Con-ukip switchers. Won't be applauded by the poor or public sector workers to any great extent. It may give Con a short term boost but not convinced it will have lasting impact on polls. Possibly too wonky for that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,393
    We will see but I would be surprised if this budget moved the polls all that much. The Autumn statement didn't and the news was at least as good then and Balls was every bit as inept.

What I do think we will see is a reinforcement of existing trends by which Osborne is regarded as a better Chancellor than Balls and the tories more economically competent. Without going all Dan Hodges I do think the article he produced yesterday had a valid point in that Labour simply do not have a coherent or explainable position in terms of economic policy.

This was a part of Miliband's problem. He could not respond with an alternative view because he did not have one so he resorted to silly abuse. Labour are supposed to be reversing the cuts already made but Osborne and Alexander are saying there need to be more, many more and the hard part is choosing where the cuts will fall and the extent to which tax increases are an alternative. This is not the conversation Labour want to have.

Building a consensus around this is the most important part of the budget politically and Chote and the OBR will play an important role in achieving this whether they like it or not. Another Osborne masterstroke is utilised to set the terms of the debate. He is never going to be many people's cup of tea; he can come across as smug, arrogant and complacent but he is a serious political operator, the best since Mandy was in his pomp.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Labour will back the changes, not least because they will raise extra tax revenues.

I am not sure, but I think at least some of the reforms will not be available to public sector employees on final salary schemes. If they all cashed in their pension pots it would leave the government in something of a hole.

So what's the point of Labour ? More of the same but with extra class war ? They seem to be devoid of ideas
  • Options
    Osborne’s budget is a narrative changer that could have the same effect on the polls as his October 2007 move on IHT

Now who was saying exactly that on the threads y'day..... pats self on back and heads in to a frantic day with baby boomer clients now re-evaluating all we previously had planned...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

So what's the point of Labour ? More of the same but with extra class war ? They seem to be devoid of ideas

They seem to have plenty of ideas to me. Some good, some less so.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Ed's policy free policy is now biting him on the arse. He has nothing to say and it's more obvious by the day - his alternative narrative doesn't exist.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    DavidL said:

We will see but I would be surprised if this budget moved the polls all that much. The Autumn statement didn't and the news was at least as good then and Balls was every bit as inept.

What I do think we will see is a reinforcement of existing trends by which Osborne is regarded as a better Chancellor than Balls and the tories more economically competent. Without going all Dan Hodges I do think the article he produced yesterday had a valid point in that Labour simply do not have a coherent or explainable position in terms of economic policy.

This was a part of Miliband's problem. He could not respond with an alternative view because he did not have one so he resorted to silly abuse. Labour are supposed to be reversing the cuts already made but Osborne and Alexander are saying there need to be more, many more and the hard part is choosing where the cuts will fall and the extent to which tax increases are an alternative. This is not the conversation Labour want to have.

Building a consensus around this is the most important part of the budget politically and Chote and the OBR will play an important role in achieving this whether they like it or not. Another Osborne masterstroke is utilised to set the terms of the debate. He is never going to be many people's cup of tea; he can come across as smug, arrogant and complacent but he is a serious political operator, the best since Mandy was in his pomp.

Its certainly firmed up my vote. I was starting to waver into not voting I have been so pissed/couldn't care off with politics and politicians , especially after my wife died but for GE its Tory nailed on again.(eours couldn't care less) The changes to individual pensions are incredibly far reaching and come just at the right time.. Bravo George and Double Bravo for the joke which was one of the best political jokes I have ever heard.
  • Options
    has the edit button vanished?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Correct - Public sector DB schemes are explicitly barred from being able to transfer in to drawdown etc, talk is all DB scheme transfers may be stopped apart from exceptional (TBA) circumstances. These changes are primarily for the private sector people who have no chance of DB pension security.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Really ? About the only ones I can think of is building more houses ( good ) and taxing bankers ( promised ten times over ). The rest is vague Ed wonkspeak. Predators, Predistribution etc.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Its certainly firmed up my vote. I was starting to waver into not voting I have been so pissed/couldn't care off with politics and politicians , especially after my wife died but for GE its Tory nailed on again.(eours couldn't care less) The changes to individual pensions are incredibly far reaching and come just at the right time.. Bravo George and Double Bravo for the joke which was one of the best political jokes I have ever heard.
    The joke was excellent but Alexander was pointing out on Drive yesterday that it was Webb who has done the groundwork on the pension reforms. I believe it. Having a minister who actually knows what he is talking about is an interesting experiment and not without risks as most experts have their own hobby horses but he has played a blinder first on public sector pensions and now on the private sector.

If the Lib Dems are to get the credit they deserve from this he should be out front and central today explaining how this is going to work and what he has done. He and Clegg apparently don't get on but Clegg needs to promote him today. Alexander called this a great Liberal reform and he was right. They cannot let this be a tory reform.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Ed's policy free policy is now biting him on the arse. He has nothing to say and it's more obvious by the day - his alternative narrative doesn't exist.
    And more interestingly the Tories (plus Yellow sidekicks) are getting their act in gear on making Labour's mainfest economic weaknesses apparent. We're strating to see the example of Wales becoming visible, for example. I suspect that we'll see ALOT more of Tories challenging Labour directly to say what they'd do. Ed n Ed will come under ever increasing pressure to clarify their policies. And asking either Ed or Ed to clarify anything in the economic realm rarely works out well for them. It's going to be a rough ride into May 2015.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The joke was excellent but Alexander was pointing out on Drive yesterday that it was Webb who has done the groundwork on the pension reforms. I believe it. Having a minister who actually knows what he is talking about is an interesting experiment and not without risks as most experts have their own hobby horses but he has played a blinder first on public sector pensions and now on the private sector.

If the Lib Dems are to get the credit they deserve from this he should be out front and central today explaining how this is going to work and what he has done. He and Clegg apparently don't get on but Clegg needs to promote him today. Alexander called this a great Liberal reform and he was right. They cannot let this be a tory reform.
    Indeed spot on but it was set out by a Conservative Chancellor, that's what the narrative will likely be remembered as.
  • Options
    Haha, Kay Burley has just said "Chancellor Gordon Brown will be joining us to discuss the Budget". She always did have a soft spot for Brown, I guess she misses him!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Really ? About the only ones I can think of is building more houses ( good ) and taxing bankers ( promised ten times over ). The rest is vague Ed wonkspeak. Predators, Predistribution etc.

Fundamental reform of the banking and energy sectors spring to mind, as does no EU In and Out referendum.

• Options
    Patrick said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

And more interestingly the Tories (plus Yellow sidekicks) are getting their act in gear on making Labour's mainfest economic weaknesses apparent. We're strating to see the example of Wales becoming visible, for example. I suspect that we'll see ALOT more of Tories challenging Labour directly to say what they'd do. Ed n Ed will come under ever increasing pressure to clarify their policies. And asking either Ed or Ed to clarify anything in the economic realm rarely works out well for them. It's going to be a rough ride into May 2015.
    With 14 months to the GE labour still haven't said what they stand for, except their not tories or LD rodents. With Euros and Indyref in the way they haven't much time to set out a platform.

While the Spads say it's clever not to reveal plans too early since they'll be attacked, I take it the other way and say plans need test destructing and time to sink in. A crap policy will get torn apart whether it's revealed 18 days before the GE or 18 months.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Fundamental reform of the banking and energy sectors spring to mind, as does no EU In and Out referendum.

Be afraid of Labour seeking to manage fundamental reform of the energy sector. Be very afraid. They'd drive bills down for a short while through central command and control / price fixing - and destroy investment. The lights would go out. As soon as such a policy were released it would get savaged and the 'ignorant incompetent lefty' messageds would get amplified.

The reason Labour have no policies is that they know as soon they have some they're going to get looked at in detail. And what the economy needs right now is utterly at odds with Labour's ideological baggage.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

We've had staements to that effect but have we actually seen any plans ? On energy he's in a bind as he's trying to hold back the sea. On banks who knows ? He's promised lots of taxes and regulation but that didn't work in the last decade. He's threatened to break up a bank or two ( good ) but what does that actually mean - he hasn't said.
  • Options
    following on from what I wrote below, with everything starting to come right, I wonder how much the words "Tory led" will come back to haunt Labour.. .....
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Brilliant!

So not only do they not trust you to spend your own money sensibly, they also think you are too stupid to be allowed a vote on the EU!

Real vote winners, well done Ed!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

We've had staements to that effect but have we actually seen any plans ? On energy he's in a bind as he's trying to hold back the sea. On banks who knows ? He's promised lots of taxes and regulation but that didn't work in the last decade. He's threatened to break up a bank or two ( good ) but what does that actually mean - he hasn't said.

I was countering the claim Labour is an idea free zone. No opposition produces detailed plans in advance of an election - see the Tories on NHS reform prior to the last GE.

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912
    Often budgets that are initially well received are seen to be disasters. Is this one an exception?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Be afraid of Labour seeking to manage fundamental reform of the energy sector. Be very afraid. They'd drive bills down for a short while through central command and control / price fixing - and destroy investment. The lights would go out. As soon as such a policy were released it would get savaged and the 'ignorant incompetent lefty' messageds would get amplified.

The reason Labour have no policies is that they know as soon they have some they're going to get looked at in detail. And what the economy needs right now is utterly at odds with Labour's ideological baggage.

I am not out to defend Labour policies, I am merely pointing out that they have plenty of them.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Some remarkably good news for UK manufacturing;
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26657455
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I think this thread is a decidedly improper public approach by OGH on my ARSE.

To be sure the notorious Bedford sweetie swindler is now smooching in the direction of my vast organ after a long period in which he indicated that its predictive qualities were on the wane.

Let me advise PBers - lock up your Easter eggs from this fickle fellow and be wary of his tempting approaches to you until you are sure his advances are entirely correct and within the bounds of decency and taste toward my ARSE.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I was countering the claim Labour is an idea free zone. No opposition produces detailed plans in advance of an election - see the Tories on NHS reform prior to the last GE.

hmmm here in politcal geek land you have a point. Out there in the big wide world I suspect nobody has much of a clue what Ed is thinking.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Brilliant!

So not only do they not trust you to spend your own money sensibly, they also think you are too stupid to be allowed a vote on the EU!

Labour has given voters a fundamental choice on the EU. If you think an In Out referendum is a necessary priority they should vote Tory next year. Not sure what you mean by not trusting people to spend their own money.

• Options
    Icarus said:

Often budgets that are initially well received are seen to be disasters. Is this one an exception?

The risk is that the wheels come off internationally and we are plunged into recession again. If that happens we will be in a terrible state and Osborne will be blamed for not doing much more to reduce the deficit over the last 4 years. It is a gamble and there are risks.

As I have said repeatedly the precariousness of our position is not fully appreciated. So far he is getting away with it but there are no risk free options in the situation we are in. Using that as an advantage in terms of where we go from here is real political skill.

So at the next election what does Labour do? Do they agree to follow tory spending plans? Nothing they have talked about, not even the banker's bonus tax, comes close to changing the terms of play. They either commit themselves to massive tax increases or they have to accept that they will have to choose cuts too. And there is no money for any significant freebies either.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Icarus said:

I've been wondering what nasties lurk in the unpublicised parts of the budget. No doubt we'll find out in the coming days.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Brilliant!

Labour has given voters a fundamental choice on the EU. If you think an In Out referendum is a necessary priority they should vote Tory next year. Not sure what you mean by not trusting people to spend their own money.

One thing is for sure. Only an out and out imbecile would trust Labour with public finances ever again.

• Options
    antifrank said:

Icarus said:

I've been wondering what nasties lurk in the unpublicised parts of the budget. No doubt we'll find out in the coming days.

Weekend reading I should think.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

hmmm here in politcal geek land you have a point. Out there in the big wide world I suspect nobody has much of a clue what Ed is thinking.

In straight electoral terms that may not matter too much. I doubt most punters have anything but the vaguest notion of anything any party says. The Tories are strong on the economy, Labour is on the side of ordinary people; that's the battle. And currently Labour has a pretty solid 35% base. This has to change if the Tories are to have a chance of winning next year.

• Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Brilliant!

One thing is for sure. Only an out and out imbecile would trust Labour with public finances ever again.

True. But around 1/3 of the electorate fit that description.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

In straight electoral terms that may not matter too much. I doubt most punters have anything but the vaguest notion of anything any party says. The Tories are strong on the economy, Labour is on the side of ordinary people; that's the battle. And currently Labour has a pretty solid 35% base. This has to change if the Tories are to have a chance of winning next year.

Labour has a solid base of 28-30%. The 35% strategy will not hold up to the GE, I'm predicting the Tories will overtake Labour by the end of the year but will not have enough for an outright majority by election time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Icarus said:

The risk is that the wheels come off internationally and we are plunged into recession again. If that happens we will be in a terrible state and Osborne will be blamed for not doing much more to reduce the deficit over the last 4 years. It is a gamble and there are risks.

As I have said repeatedly the precariousness of our position is not fully appreciated. So far he is getting away with it but there are no risk free options in the situation we are in. Using that as an advantage in terms of where we go from here is real political skill.

So at the next election what does Labour do? Do they agree to follow tory spending plans? Nothing they have talked about, not even the banker's bonus tax, comes close to changing the terms of play. They either commit themselves to massive tax increases or they have to accept that they will have to choose cuts too. And there is no money for any significant freebies either.

Hasn't Labour already said that it will follow overall government spending plans?

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    I have no feel as to whether this budget will give a boost to Conservative poll figures in the short term or not . Mike seems confident that it will do . Conversely , if it has no effect and Labour remain 4 or 5 % ahead it would indicate that the Conservatives chances at the next GE are slim if not non existent .
    Will wait and see with interest .
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    One of the biggest problems this government has faced since taking power has been a perception of incompetence. The omnishambles was a defining moment and came on the back of some less serious PR gaffes, but finally nailed down the feeling that they either didn't know what they were doing or were just careless and didn't "have a grip" on events (in stark contrast to the grid-led previous administration).

If this budget fails to unravel, and continues to be seen as a success both economically and politically, then perhaps the governing parties will start to recover some much needed gravitas.

As for Ed, well it's a tough gig giving the LOTO response to the budget, but this was truly dire stuff. Even the edited highlights from his response on the news (presumably the best bits they could extract) were poor, going mainly with the repeated "living standards (all together now) down" bit which just fell flat. However, I don't expect to see any significanty reduction in the Labour share, if the Tories recover at all, it will be at the expense of UKIP/Others/Don't Knows.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    A couple of things that could derail everything.

Yelland's announcement that US interest rates could start rising early next year.
    Credit crunch in China.

It seems that the Crimea situation is going to fizzle out with a de facto land grab by Russia being successful. Putin would be stupid to try and push into Eastern Ukraine now.

I think this budget is going to be a long slow dribble of good news for all ages as the ramifications of the changes get digested and disseminated. This is likely to change the saving/pension provision for a whole generation. It's likely to be a big as the right to buy revolution of Thatcher years.
  • Options

I have no feel as to whether this budget will give a boost to Conservative poll figures in the short term or not . Mike seems confident that it will do . Conversely , if it has no effect and Labour remain 4 or 5 % ahead it would indicate that the Conservatives chances at the next GE are slim if not non existent .
    Will wait and see with interest .

I suspect worrying about budgets is a wate of time. The short term measure such as tax allowances will brighten things up a but really it's the economy's direction of travel which will shift votes. Currently with growth back on the cards and falling unemployment the story's now positive. The blackspot is disposable income however even that will slowly start to change and HMG can make it's pitch on jam tomorrow over Labour's car crasher economics.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

political operator, the best since Mandy was in his pomp.

The Lib Dems deserve to be wiped out at next election , lying toads with no principles. I must say the pension change is a real corker from Osborne. Wonder if Standard Life will be preparing to move its operations out of England due to the risk, LOL.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    My UKIP supportting dad was impressed by George, and also by Danny. I suspect he will vote UKIP in the Euros, but he loathes Milliband more than he loathes Cameron. He is in an LD Con marginal and will vote Con in 2015 I am sure.

The pension changes do not affect him directly, he is on a private sector DB scheme, but after seeing the hammerring pensions got under Gordon he is keen to see savers looked after.

If this budget was aimed at Con to Kipper switchers it has hit at least one target on the bullseye.

DavidL said:

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    Great news today about Hitachi Rail moving to London. But I doubt that's the whole story: the Newton Aycliffe site is basically just an assembly line that assembles parts made in Japan. In comparison, Bombardier in Derby source (from memory) the majority of their parts here in the UK, and the trains are fully designed here.

So is Hitachi moving just the backroom bosses and salesmen, or is the design work moving over here as well?

If the latter isn't happening, it's slightly disappointing. We can do this stuff really well.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke - "Labour has a solid base of 28-30%. The 35% strategy will not hold up to the GE, I'm predicting the Tories will overtake Labour by the end of the year but will not have enough for an outright majority by election time."

You could well be right, though I suspect Labour will poll closer to 35% than to 30%. They still look best placed to me to get most seats, even though in the normal course of events you'd expect the Tories to be winning outright and quite handily.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077
    Squeaky bum time for NO campaign...........down to 3% swing required and 6 months to go.

The independence referendum has been blown wide open with a new poll showing support for Yes now just five points behind that of No.

The poll, conducted by Panelbase, has revealed that support for independence is now sitting at 40%, its highest mark since campaigning began in earnest, with those against sitting at 45% and Undecided on 15%.

The latest survey, which was commissioned by Newsnet Scotland, surveyed 1036 people between 7-14 March.

The survey asked - "There will be a referendum on an independent Scotland on the 18th of September. How do you intend to vote in response to the question: Should Scotland be an independent country?"

The findings mean Yes is up three points since the last Panelbase survey, with No down two. The number of Don't Knows was also down one point. The swing to Yes means the No campaign's lead has halved compared with the previous Panelbase survey in February.

When Don't Knows are stripped out, Yes is on 47% with No on 53%, meaning Yes needs a swing of around three points in order to overtake its rival.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Ed Balls making heavy weather of a fairly light interview on Breakfast News about the budget. He looked nonplussed about the pensions changes. The Chancellor is clearly still benefiting from the complete surprise over this announcement.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    malcolmg said:

Squeaky bum time for NO campaign...........down to 3% swing required and 6 months to go.

The independence referendum has been blown wide open with a new poll showing support for Yes now just five points behind that of No.

The poll, conducted by Panelbase, has revealed that support for independence is now sitting at 40%, its highest mark since campaigning began in earnest, with those against sitting at 45% and Undecided on 15%.

The latest survey, which was commissioned by Newsnet Scotland, surveyed 1036 people between 7-14 March.

The survey asked - "There will be a referendum on an independent Scotland on the 18th of September. How do you intend to vote in response to the question: Should Scotland be an independent country?"

The findings mean Yes is up three points since the last Panelbase survey, with No down two. The number of Don't Knows was also down one point. The swing to Yes means the No campaign's lead has halved compared with the previous Panelbase survey in February.

When Don't Knows are stripped out, Yes is on 47% with No on 53%, meaning Yes needs a swing of around three points in order to overtake its rival.

I think the national polls could have a big influence on the result! If the Tories are seen to be gaining ground and may have a second term, I can imagine the tribal Scots would prefer independence to being subjected to another 5 years of Tory (coalition?) rule.

Squeaky bum time for Labour I think.
  • Options

@Alanbrooke - "Labour has a solid base of 28-30%. The 35% strategy will not hold up to the GE, I'm predicting the Tories will overtake Labour by the end of the year but will not have enough for an outright majority by election time."

You could well be right, though I suspect Labour will poll closer to 35% than to 30%. They still look best placed to me to get most seats, even though in the normal course of events you'd expect the Tories to be winning outright and quite handily.

I suppose I depends how you look at it. In any case the %ages are meaningless except as a forecasting tool. As usual it will come down to about 100 ish marginal seats and about 250-500k voters in those seats changing their minds. The rest of us are just vote fodder. You at least live in one of the marginals so your opinion counts more than most of us put together ! :-)
This discussion has been closed.