Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A potentially awkward start for the new Tory leader – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,823
    edited October 14
    Cookie said:

Speaking to Andrew Marr on the New Statesman’s NS podcast, Ms Reeves said: “I said during the election campaign we’re not going to be introducing a wealth tax.

“But I think people will be in no doubt when we do the Budget that those with the broadest shoulders will be bearing the largest burden.

“You saw that in our manifesto campaign. You know, non-doms, private equity, the windfall tax on the big profits the energy companies are making and putting VAT and business rates on private schools.”

Basically, anyone with the opportunity to go elsewhere.
    Apparently Singapore has recently increased their income tax rates. Imagine how bad it must be to have to pay 20% average on a $1m* income. (*SG$1m is only US$750k).

https://www.iras.gov.sg/taxes/individual-income-tax/basics-of-individual-income-tax/tax-residency-and-tax-rates/individual-income-tax-rates

UAE still has no individual income tax.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,596
    Sandpit said:
    Surprised it’s taken so long TBH. If he’d been a UK Tory or an Australian PM he’d have been out 18 months ago.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,993
    TOPPING said:

20 degrees this week ffs.

Classic warm air from the south. Very typical in autumn to have such temp swings, and good for not needing heating!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,848

Elton John to perform at exclusive private dinner for cabinet and selected investors reporting Guardian. Food by Clare Smyth.

" “I wish you could see the politicians’ faces. We spend a lot of time in meetings, we don’t get out very often,” Nandy replied. "

As the newspaper points out:

"Perhaps, but would it be unfair to suggest that Labour politicians have been in hot water of late for taking freebies to attend superstar gigs?"

Is this the Lisa Nandy who flew by private jet to watch a football match?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,347
    TOPPING said:

Should stop @Leon moaning about this country...
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,097
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Its coming home...its coming home...oh.

Ben Ainslie’s Ineos Britannia go 4-0 down vs Emirates Team New Zealand in America’s Cup

Good job that nobody gives a flying eff about sailing then...
    what an absolute waste of 100 million
    Of course not, they’d have paid back ~£30m in taxes of one sort or another.

Be thankful to Mr Radcliffe for putting up most of the funding for the British entry, even if we come second.
    The wanker would have been better putting it into Grangemouth than throwing it in the sea
  • LeonLeon Posts: 54,160

TOPPING said:

I’m flying out of Blighty tonight
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,758
    Cookie said:

Speaking to Andrew Marr on the New Statesman’s NS podcast, Ms Reeves said: “I said during the election campaign we’re not going to be introducing a wealth tax.

“But I think people will be in no doubt when we do the Budget that those with the broadest shoulders will be bearing the largest burden.

“You saw that in our manifesto campaign. You know, non-doms, private equity, the windfall tax on the big profits the energy companies are making and putting VAT and business rates on private schools.”

Looks like Leon is off already at the news....
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,799
    Eabhal said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

pm215 said:

The former Tory chancellor George Osborne has thrown his weight behind a proposal nicknamed “HS2 light” that would deliver new high-speed train links between Manchester and Birmingham.

Osborne said the worst thing Rishi Sunak did as prime minister was cancelling the northern arm of HS2. “It was an act of infrastructure vandalism,” he said

I was just listening to that bit of the Osborne/Balls podcast this morning too...

HS2 has been a "how many ways can you screw this up" smorgasbord of government infrastructure investment failure -- sensible idea massively mismanaged and messed about with by civil service and politicians. If the government are serious about investing for growth they need to look at how to avoid repeats...

The way to avoid repeats is to never again attempt anything which is described as 'world leading' or 'biggest in Europe'.

Instead build small, build often, build plentiful, build cheap, build wanted, build useful.

Go to every place in the country and ask local people what transport improvements they need.

Not what politicians, bureaucrats and the whole 'process' sector wants.
    If you ask locals what they need, you wouldn't have any motorways...
    I disagree.

People often want more roads and people often want faster roads.

And that's because people use roads.

Now there will always be some who object but many will be in favour.
    The classic example proving this wrong is LTNs, which often have overwhelming support from those who live inside them.

Stuff like this needs to be packaged up into something attractive for locals. So, a new bypass for a rural town allows pedestrianisation of the High Street. Wind turbines in your postcode area = cheap or free electricity. A large new housing estate includes a new bus service or cycle infrastructure to reduce cars traffic on adjacent roads.
    And pedestrianisation means a couple more coffee shops while your big stores close if customers cannot drive to them.
    A well-designed scheme allows motor vehicles appropriate access whilst protecting pedestrians from said motor vehicles and their drivers.

Mixing in the same physical space is usually avoidable.
    All the big shops have already left the High Street for the retail parks in my home town, so turning those empty spots into coffee shops can only be a good thing.
    I see the most read article in the new “Michael Gove” Spectator is an article predicting the death of the motor car. It is not going down well with the commentators below the line
    Its a complete pile of wank, written by an idiot who (I think) lives in London. Most of the rest of the country will be using cars for decades to come to get to work etc. In London its fair to ask why have a car, as the public transport options are so good. Not so in SW Wiltshire. And as for electric Tuk-Tuks being the way ahead - if Tuk-Tuks were the way ahead they would be here now, surely?
    Agree. One can think of so many instances where it fails and is clearly written by someone who is single and lives in London. No imagination whatsoever.

No consideration for families, people with dogs, taking stuff to the dump, people living in the middle of nowhere. The list is endless where this fails.

For a single person getting around a city it is excellent. For anything else it is crap.
    The other problem is that such vehicles need to be segregated from actual cars.

Various super light weight electric vehicles exist - they use an exemption for "4 wheeled motorcycles" to avoid requirements for crash protection etc. In collisions they are deadly.

So you'd need to separate them from cars, buses and lorries. And separate them from bicycles, probably. And pedestrians.
    Cyclists can use the road. Why can't a cargo bike?
    We are talking about electric powered tuk-tuks - more powerful and much heavier than bicycles. While they can use the road, this is far from optimal. Hence the drive to segregate cycling from the roads.

But you don't want these things in segregated bike lanes.
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Ben Ainslie’s Ineos Britannia go 4-0 down vs Emirates Team New Zealand in America’s Cup

what an absolute waste of 100 million
    Of course not, they’d have paid back ~£30m in taxes of one sort or another.

Be thankful to Mr Radcliffe for putting up most of the funding for the British entry, even if we come second.
    The wanker would have been better putting it into Grangemouth than throwing it in the sea
    He’s got the world’s second fastest sailing boat out of it!

Ed Miliband has made it quite clear that it’s not going into Grangemouth.

Sandpit said:
    A black face for Trudeau, no wait a black day for Trudeau.
    "To celebrate the fact
    That we've seen the back
    Of another black day"
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Good riddance

(Just kiddin')
    edited October 14
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Are you following “The Story” on Twitter? The one that no-one else is yet touching with a 20’ barge pole…
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,834
    Sandpit said:

The broadcasters are describing it as “Formula 1 on water”.

Which is actually pretty much true, they’re ridiculously expensive prototype boats, but they need to race them a little more often if they want the sport to take off with the casual viewer.
    I agree it could be more often, but this is essentially the final of a series that started way back in August, with six boats having been whittled down to two (AIUI...). There's bene a fair amount of racing already.

Part of the problem, for me at least, is that the rules and terminology is so arcane. It can be in motor racing as well, except that you can see the track easily, and which cars are ahead. I've been finding sailing much harder to understand, tactics-wise.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,034
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Are you following “The Story” on Twitter? The one that no-one else is yet touching with a 20’ barge pole…
    Does it involve Finland?
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,833
    Cookie said:

... and lots of measures that are driven by envy and end up costing more than they save.

Basically exactly what you'd expect from a bunch of student politicians who've never held a wealth-creating job in their lives.

Worst government ever ... since the last Labour one.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,692
    "British man dies after falling from bridge in Spain while trying to 'create content' for social media

The man fell while climbing the Castilla-La Mancha bridge in Talavera de la Reina, a city southwest of Madrid, a local councillor said on Sunday."

https://news.sky.com/story/british-man-dies-after-falling-from-bridge-in-spain-while-trying-to-create-content-for-social-media-13233292
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,261
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Elton John to perform at exclusive private dinner for cabinet and selected investors reporting Guardian. Food by Clare Smyth.

" “I wish you could see the politicians’ faces. We spend a lot of time in meetings, we don’t get out very often,” Nandy replied. "

"Perhaps, but would it be unfair to suggest that Labour politicians have been in hot water of late for taking freebies to attend superstar gigs?"

Food by Clare Smyth, very nice. That won't be your bog standard gastro pub stuff.
    they are desperate to get that black hole bigger, nothing is too good for Labour Nobs. Experts at spending and pocketing other people's hard earned cash.
    You just know these clowns will cave on this too, in spite of what they say.

Dig deep.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/let-lammy-secure-slavery-reparations-says-caribbean-leader/ar-AA1sc7a5?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Also from an article in the Independent

"In recently resurfaced footage, Foreign Secretary David Lammy supported the case for measures to compensate for Britain’s role in the slave trade while he was a backbench Labour MP in the wake of the Windrush scandal.

“I’m afraid as Caribbean people we are not going to forget our history – we don’t just want to hear an apology, we want reparation,” Mr Lammy can be heard saying in the clip from 2018."
    I'd like the Romans to pay up a bit, and those bloody Norsemen too. As for the Danes.....pay up you pillaging bastards.

Cookie said:

Do you ever stop for a few weeks?

Genuinely see now why lockdown nearly killed you. Have never known anyone who travels as much.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,341
    Andy_JS said:

"British man dies after falling from bridge in Spain while trying to 'create content' for social media

The man fell while climbing the Castilla-La Mancha bridge in Talavera de la Reina, a city southwest of Madrid, a local councillor said on Sunday."

https://news.sky.com/story/british-man-dies-after-falling-from-bridge-in-spain-while-trying-to-create-content-for-social-media-13233292

"like, share and subscriiiiiiiiiiiibbbbbb...."
    We were all looking at rockets and not running races yesterday.

Kenyan lady Ruth Chepngetich won the Boston Marathon in a world record time, 2h 09’ 56”.

But to say it’s a controversial record is an understatement.

https://x.com/therunnerman17/status/1845521023875363292?s=12

It’s so far ahead of not only her own, but anyone else ever’s time, as to be a total farce either of drugs or cutting the course. The WR has never been lowered by that amount in one go.

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

pm215 said:

The former Tory chancellor George Osborne has thrown his weight behind a proposal nicknamed “HS2 light” that would deliver new high-speed train links between Manchester and Birmingham.

Osborne said the worst thing Rishi Sunak did as prime minister was cancelling the northern arm of HS2. “It was an act of infrastructure vandalism,” he said

I was just listening to that bit of the Osborne/Balls podcast this morning too...

HS2 has been a "how many ways can you screw this up" smorgasbord of government infrastructure investment failure -- sensible idea massively mismanaged and messed about with by civil service and politicians. If the government are serious about investing for growth they need to look at how to avoid repeats...

The way to avoid repeats is to never again attempt anything which is described as 'world leading' or 'biggest in Europe'.

Instead build small, build often, build plentiful, build cheap, build wanted, build useful.

Go to every place in the country and ask local people what transport improvements they need.

I disagree.

The classic example proving this wrong is LTNs, which often have overwhelming support from those who live inside them.

Stuff like this needs to be packaged up into something attractive for locals. So, a new bypass for a rural town allows pedestrianisation of the High Street. Wind turbines in your postcode area = cheap or free electricity. A large new housing estate includes a new bus service or cycle infrastructure to reduce cars traffic on adjacent roads.
    And pedestrianisation means a couple more coffee shops while your big stores close if customers cannot drive to them.
    A well-designed scheme allows motor vehicles appropriate access whilst protecting pedestrians from said motor vehicles and their drivers.

All the big shops have already left the High Street for the retail parks in my home town, so turning those empty spots into coffee shops can only be a good thing.
    I see the most read article in the new “Michael Gove” Spectator is an article predicting the death of the motor car. It is not going down well with the commentators below the line
    Its a complete pile of wank, written by an idiot who (I think) lives in London. Most of the rest of the country will be using cars for decades to come to get to work etc. In London its fair to ask why have a car, as the public transport options are so good. Not so in SW Wiltshire. And as for electric Tuk-Tuks being the way ahead - if Tuk-Tuks were the way ahead they would be here now, surely?
    Agree. One can think of so many instances where it fails and is clearly written by someone who is single and lives in London. No imagination whatsoever.

No consideration for families, people with dogs, taking stuff to the dump, people living in the middle of nowhere. The list is endless where this fails.

For a single person getting around a city it is excellent. For anything else it is crap.
    The other problem is that such vehicles need to be segregated from actual cars.

Various super light weight electric vehicles exist - they use an exemption for "4 wheeled motorcycles" to avoid requirements for crash protection etc. In collisions they are deadly.

So you'd need to separate them from cars, buses and lorries. And separate them from bicycles, probably. And pedestrians.
    Cyclists can use the road. Why can't a cargo bike?
    We are talking about electric powered tuk-tuks - more powerful and much heavier than bicycles. While they can use the road, this is far from optimal. Hence the drive to segregate cycling from the roads.

But you don't want these things in segregated bike lanes.
    Are Tuk-Tuks not also rather open to the weather? Not ideal in rainy Manchester...

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Food by Clare Smyth, very nice. That won't be your bog standard gastro pub stuff.
    they are desperate to get that black hole bigger, nothing is too good for Labour Nobs. Experts at spending and pocketing other people's hard earned cash.

Dig deep.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/let-lammy-secure-slavery-reparations-says-caribbean-leader/ar-AA1sc7a5?ocid=BingNewsSerp

"In recently resurfaced footage, Foreign Secretary David Lammy supported the case for measures to compensate for Britain’s role in the slave trade while he was a backbench Labour MP in the wake of the Windrush scandal.

“I’m afraid as Caribbean people we are not going to forget our history – we don’t just want to hear an apology, we want reparation,” Mr Lammy can be heard saying in the clip from 2018."
    I'd like the Romans to pay up a bit, and those bloody Norsemen too. As for the Danes.....pay up you pillaging bastards.
    I'd go into Africa itself and find the tribes that sold other tribes to the white slave traders.

The whole thing is a nonsense. Perhaps we should offer to relocate the Caribbean population back to West Africa? After all that's where they would have been if we hadn't enslaved their ancesters.
    Sandpit said:

Kenyan lady Ruth Chepngetich won the Boston Marathon in a world record time, 2h 09’ 56”.

It’s so far ahead of not only her own, but anyone else ever’s time, as to be a total farce either of drugs or cutting the course. The WR has never been lowered by that amount in one go.

Its certainly startling. Is Chicago known to be a quick course? I think for world records the course needs to start and finish no more than a certain distance from each other.

Drugs is one option, but also new shoe tech. And we don't suspect Usain Bolt, even though he was so far out of the window of normal sprinters.

Apparently our Chancellor of the Exchequer's personal finances are so complicated she has to pay an accountant to do her tax return for her and then expects the taxpayer to cough up for the fees

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/rachel-reeves-claimed-1-225-on-expenses-for-tax-returns-help/ar-AA1saS6C?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=8290b7c72dd14f5f9971e2969659f9cc&ei=13
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,140
    MaxPB said:

Foss said:
    Maybe shutting off the coal station was premature.
    IIRC the grid operators tried to get them to stay open to cover this winter, but the owning company said no (presumably too many deferred maintenance issues for it to stagger on another winter without spending loads of money on it).
  • TresTres Posts: 2,664

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Dig deep.

I'd go into Africa itself and find the tribes that sold other tribes to the white slave traders.

The whole thing is a nonsense. Perhaps we should offer to relocate the Caribbean population back to West Africa? After all that's where they would have been if we hadn't enslaved their ancesters.
    If you got family wealth that was derived from slavery it's fair enough in my opinion. Start with the King. No doubt I'll be told this is the politics of envy.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,344
    Fishing said:

Cookie said:

... and lots of measures that are driven by envy and end up costing more than they save.

Basically exactly what you'd expect from a bunch of student politicians who've never held a wealth-creating job in their lives.

Worst government ever ... since the last Labour one.
    No, definitely worse than the last lot. There were some in the last lot who understood that someone had to make the money. And there was no-one as stupid as David Lammy, who makes Tony Banks look like Aristotle.

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Dig deep.

#Justice4TheBeakerPeople

"Hi Norway. You didn't read the fine print on the Danegeld. It was actually a loan. At 58% yearly interest. Compound."

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Dig deep.

There's at least one family in Nigeria whose wealth directly comes from selling their fellow man down the river.

Cookie said:

Genuinely see now why lockdown nearly killed you. Have never known anyone who travels as much.
    I can't remember if @Leon was on PB during lockdown, but I seem to remember an individual innocently wandering around the country like a lost lamb before sheltering somewhere on the Celtic fringes. I wonder what happened to them... :neutral:
    Tres said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Dig deep.

If you got family wealth that was derived from slavery it's fair enough in my opinion. Start with the King. No doubt I'll be told this is the politics of envy.
    Is it? How do you work out how much it should be? And who should have it? Would you feel the same is a study reveals that you need to sell your house to pay the reparations? And based on actions of long dead people who you never knew? You can argue that the UK and most of the west raped and pillaged the developing world for centuries and became rich doing so, and you would not be wrong. You can argue that we should do more to raise living standards across the world and that is right too.

But where calls for reparations fall down is when the single out only one event, the trans-Atlantic slave trade, as the one that needs reparations. What of the Saxons disinherited by the Norman conquest? What of the Celts, push to the west by the invading Jutes, Angles etc?
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,513

Enjoyed him calling the Kiwi commentator an Effing %*&^er live on air yesterday - clearly taking it well!
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,513
    edited October 14

This is the incredibly difficult circle to square economically and politically...

New figures show that high-earning Britons are already paying more tax on their income for every extra £1 they earn than anywhere else in the G7.

Workers in the UK earning a salary of £120,000 a year, or roughly 2.5 times the average [mean] wage, have roughly 66p clawed back in taxes for every extra £1 they earn, according to data compiled by the OECD.

This “marginal tax wedge” of 66pc is higher than France’s rate of 60pc for someone earning 2.5 times the average wage, as well as in the US, where the marginal tax wedge is 33pc.

Official data show the top 1pc of earners – who have incomes exceeding £214,000 – are expected to account for 28.2pc of all income tax revenues this year. By contrast, the bottom 50pc will contribute 9.5pc of revenues, according to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

-----

Dan Neidle, a tax lawyer, noted on a recent IFS podcast that the feat would be unprecedented. “Every single developed country in the world that spends more on public services than the UK, raises that money through higher taxes on average earners than the UK, without exception.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/10/14/the-proof-reeves-will-be-unable-to-squeeze-the-rich/

Glad someone is finally talking about the greedy lazy average earners running this country in to the ground :wink:

Cookie said:

This is an exceptionally busy period even by my exacting travel standards

And it won’t stop for a few weeks

I do intend to slow down over winter; hopefully somewhere sunny. Inshallah

Tres said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Dig deep.

Is it? How do you work out how much it should be? And who should have it? Would you feel the same is a study reveals that you need to sell your house to pay the reparations? And based on actions of long dead people who you never knew? You can argue that the UK and most of the west raped and pillaged the developing world for centuries and became rich doing so, and you would not be wrong. You can argue that we should do more to raise living standards across the world and that is right too.

But where calls for reparations fall down is when the single out only one event, the trans-Atlantic slave trade, as the one that needs reparations. What of the Saxons disinherited by the Norman conquest? What of the Celts, push to the west by the invading Jutes, Angles etc?
    And what about the 20-30m people enslaved by the Islamiic powers? A larger trade than the middle passage and one that began long before and carried on into the 20th century - indeed it still continues in places like Mauritania

The only reason there are not large black populations in Turkey etc (as compared to say the USA) is because Muslim slavers castrated all the men
    CatMan said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Does it involve Finland?
    Not this time. Somewhat further afield.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,456

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

pm215 said:

I disagree.

Hm, a bit. But not just London. Inner Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool and so on will also support this model. And these cities can rise from their car-constrained shackles.
    This is far from everyone in the country. But it is a not inconsiderable number of people.
    And it has the potential to be a lot more people.

That kind of big tall terraced house, fairly high density, not much space for cars geography is incredibly expensive, which implies that people really want it. Think the sort of house the Browns live in in the Paddington movies. And if you have that many people in walking distance, the other desirable bits of urban life follow.

No, it's not for everyone, but right now we should be aiming to have a lot more of it, because that's where the unmet demand seems to be.
    Speaking of the house in the Paddington movie: https://www.camdennewjournal.co.uk/article/stop-pimping-out-our-street-for-paddington-say-primrose-hill-residents
    Sandpit said:

That's an amazingly fast time. To give an idea, a lady I follow recently set the 9th fastest ever UK women's marathon time at the Berlin marathon. 2 hours 25 minutes.
    Reeves could adopt a Trump-style tax policy. We import huge amounts of stuff: tax it. Make the people buying German cars pay.
  • Wrexham has published a list of roads that could return to 30mph

The list of 20mph roads that could change to 30mph in Wrexham

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/list-20mph-roads-could-change-30136846#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
    Sandpit said:

Haven't the new sprung shoes changed the game so much in distance running that you can't compare the modern records with the old ones?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,464
    The Government have now published the impact assessment into Martyn's Law.

Under the most likely scenario, the costs to society are 70 times greater than the benefits.

Under the worst case scenario, the costs are 474 times greater than the benefits.

https://x.com/Sam_Dumitriu/status/1845819554628255784

Reeves could adopt a Trump-style tax policy. We import huge amounts of stuff: tax it. Make the people buying German cars pay.

Problem is that anything that is described as "Trump-style" is likely to be economically thick as pig shit with massive unintended consequences.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,870
    Are Trump and Vance being punished at the polls for this intensification of lying and hatred? Not at all. The Trump-Vance ticket seems to have gained a bit in the last two weeks, just as the hatred and darkness have become more central to their message. It turns out that what it means to be an undecided or swing voter is to be undecided about the choice between liberal democracy and authoritarianism. And the swing voters seem to be swinging towards authoritarianism.

https://www.thebulwark.com/p/trumps-midnight-in-america?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,883
    A growing problem in the US is the jobs, or businesses, that spouses have. (And sometimes children and other relatives.) For example, it seems nearly certain that Paul Pelosi benefited from his wife's political success, but I don't know whether any of those benefits were unethical, though it seems likely that some were.

I don't have any general solution to the problem that doesn't make it harder for two-career couples to go into politics.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,758
    edited October 14
    The UK is like a person who looks rich but doesn’t own anything. The house is rented, the car is leased, the fancy watch is a gift from grandma.

Most British companies aren’t British. If you don’t own the assets, you don’t get the profit and you don‘t have the wealth.

The UK Government wants you to believe that the top 10% of British earners and investors aren’t paying enough in taxes (despite covering 50%+ of the bills).

The truth is, the UK doesn’t own anything anymore. When “British companies” make a profit it goes back to their foreign shareholders.

The economy isn’t in trouble because of wealth inequality the economy is in trouble because of asset deficiency.

The last chance the UK has to fix this is the small group of dynamic entrepreneurs and investors who are UK based. If you lose them, you’ve lost the existing businesses and the ability to create new ones. If the government taxes rise more - the only thing left in the UK will be cheap labour for foreign companies to exploit.

https://x.com/DanielPriestley/status/1845736515558576519
    edited October 14

Are Trump and Vance being punished at the polls for this intensification of lying and hatred? Not at all. The Trump-Vance ticket seems to have gained a bit in the last two weeks, just as the hatred and darkness have become more central to their message. It turns out that what it means to be an undecided or swing voter is to be undecided about the choice between liberal democracy and authoritarianism. And the swing voters seem to be swinging towards authoritarianism.

https://www.thebulwark.com/p/trumps-midnight-in-america?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Watch the clip I posted yesterday where ABC tried to fact-check Vance:

https://x.com/collinrugg/status/1845472475322462468

Raddatz: “The incidents were limited to a handful of apartment complexes...”

Vance: “Do you hear yourself? Only a handful of apartment complexes were taken over by Venezuelan gangs and Donald Trump is the problem and not Kamala Harris' open border?”
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,456
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Apparently Singapore has recently increased their income tax rates. Imagine how bad it must be to have to pay 20% average on a $1m* income. (*SG$1m is only US$750k).

https://www.iras.gov.sg/taxes/individual-income-tax/basics-of-individual-income-tax/tax-residency-and-tax-rates/individual-income-tax-rates

UAE still has no individual income tax.
    It also still doesn’t have democracy or human rights, and 88% of the population are immigrants. Are you suggesting it’s a model for the rest of the world?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,894

Wrexham has published a list of roads that could return to 30mph

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/list-20mph-roads-could-change-30136846#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare

Of course, as soon as a child is knocked down and killed on one of those roads after the limit is raised, there will be an outcry.
    In the US, one of the perks used to be -- and probably still is in some places -- remarkably good luck at poker. If there were lobbyists in the games.
  • Wrexham has published a list of roads that could return to 30mph

Of course, as soon as a child is knocked down and killed on one of those roads after the limit is raised, there will be an outcry.
    I know some of those roads and I have not seen children on them

Furthermore, replicating this across North Wales alone shows just how many roads are up for review
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,890
    edited October 14
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Dig deep.

And what about the 20-30m people enslaved by the Islamiic powers? A larger trade than the middle passage and one that began long before and carried on into the 20th century - indeed it still continues in places like Mauritania

The only reason there are not large black populations in Turkey etc (as compared to say the USA) is because Muslim slavers castrated all the men
    They're not wealthy nations you want to shakedown for cash. Lots of it.

Estimates for the likely reparations bill for British involvement in slavery in 14 Caribbean countries range from £206billion to £19trillion. However they have very kindly said we can pay it back over a period of time and not in one go.

We are already paying into a Climate Reparations fund thanks to the last govt.

Vance: “Do you hear yourself? Only a handful of apartment complexes were taken over by Venezuelan gangs and Donald Trump is the problem and not Kamala Harris' open border?”
    Drug gangs in American cities?

Incredible.

Never happened before.

Incredible.

Never happened before.
    What's not normal is people in authority telling the public that they just have to put up with it because that's the way things have always been and you're a bigot if you have a problem with it.

Incredible.

Never happened before.
    Have you watched this documentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIm8qNirTOk ?

Slip sliding to civil war...

Republicans against Trump
    @RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    9m
    WOW. Federal emergency workers were forced to pause their hurricane recovery efforts in NC after National Guard troops discovered trucks of armed militia, who were “out hunting FEMA.”

Trump's lies have real consequences.

https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1845834559155265757

Sandpit said:

That's an amazingly fast time. To give an idea, a lady I follow recently set the 9th fastest ever UK women's marathon time at the Berlin marathon. 2 hours 25 minutes.
    Presumably you follow her from quite a long way back?

*Based on your reported 10K times!
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,985

Fuck sakes.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,112
    edited October 14

If you read the exception guidance, the Welsh Government have put a condition in that council's reverting a road to 30mph must ensure that it won't negatively impact road safety. That will be tricky given the evidence from Wales and elsewhere, as well as the *the laws of physics*.

Only then can it go through the TRO process which is a localised hurdle subject to Y/NIMBYism (depending on your perspective).

Political Polls
    @Politics_Polls
    ·
    15m
    National TIPP Insights Tracking Poll:

Harris 49% (+3)
    Trump 46%

1,212 LV, 10/11-13
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,207
    edited October 14
    Nigelb said:

Under the most likely scenario, the costs to society are 70 times greater than the benefits.

Under the worst case scenario, the costs are 474 times greater than the benefits.

Among the real issues here is the way in which it makes people less likely to volunteer for particular already rather thankless roles in the enormous community/voluntary sector. Eg village/community/parish hall committees, sports societies, churches, youth activities of many sorts.

Some have already been hit by the zealous (though understandable) requirements of safeguarding. And when the funding of such things gets ever more difficult both from the voluntary donors and the tax payer some will find it easier just to opt out.

The O2 arena and Great Snoring village hall are not the same sort of thing.
    edited October 14

@RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    9m
    WOW. Federal emergency workers were forced to pause their hurricane recovery efforts in NC after National Guard troops discovered trucks of armed militia, who were “out hunting FEMA.”

Yes, disgraceful US mainstream media. There’s not gangs of people “out hunting FEMA”, there’s loads of private efforts at getting disaster relief to those most in need. The report even says they have precisely no evidence for any “militia” groups.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,112

Furthermore, replicating this across North Wales alone shows just how many roads are up for review
    Probably because those roads are so dangerous. Chicken and egg.
    Anecdotes are not Sir Keir’s forte

https://x.com/accidentalp/status/1845837808637800906?s=61
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Among the real issues here is the way in which it makes people less likely to volunteer for particular already rather thankless roles in the enormous community/voluntary sector. Eg village/community/parish hall committees, sports societies, churches, youth activities of many sorts.

Some have already been hit by the zealous (though understandable) requirements of safeguarding. And when the funding of such things gets ever more difficult both from the voluntary donors and the tax payer some will find it easier just to opt out.

Are you saying that the Village Fete at Great Snoring is *not* under threat from Professor Snape in a snappy suit and a collection of highly skill, multi-ethnic terrorists, superbly armed with the Greatest Hits from the H&K product list?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,985
    Sandpit said:

@RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    9m

Yes, disgraceful US mainstream media. There’s not gangs of people “out hunting FEMA”, there’s loads of private efforts at getting disaster relief to those most in need. The report even says they have precisely no evidence for any “militia” groups.
    Won't stop it being publicised by idiots.

The UK is like a person who looks rich but doesn’t own anything. The house is rented, the car is leased, the fancy watch is a gift from grandma.

Most British companies aren’t British. If you don’t own the assets, you don’t get the profit and you don‘t have the wealth.

The UK Government wants you to believe that the top 10% of British earners and investors aren’t paying enough in taxes (despite covering 50%+ of the bills).

The truth is, the UK doesn’t own anything anymore. When “British companies” make a profit it goes back to their foreign shareholders.

The economy isn’t in trouble because of wealth inequality the economy is in trouble because of asset deficiency.

The last chance the UK has to fix this is the small group of dynamic entrepreneurs and investors who are UK based. If you lose them, you’ve lost the existing businesses and the ability to create new ones. If the government taxes rise more - the only thing left in the UK will be cheap labour for foreign companies to exploit.

We will become a low labour cost economy.

Lovely !
  • NEW THREAD

• sarissasarissa Posts: 1,968
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

You can get over 800 people in the Great Snoring village hall?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,205

Apparently our Chancellor of the Exchequer's personal finances are so complicated she has to pay an accountant to do her tax return for her and then expects the taxpayer to cough up for the fees

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/rachel-reeves-claimed-1-225-on-expenses-for-tax-returns-help/ar-AA1saS6C?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=8290b7c72dd14f5f9971e2969659f9cc&ei=13
    That's quite funny. It says that last year she spent £137.50, which at professional rates is what for an accountant - one hour?

£1225 is 2014 to 2022.

Good shop it wasn't a lawyer she needed - that's probably about time for one to polish one shoe.

The Telegrunt is running out of material :smile: .
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,344
    Taz said:
    Jesus. Giggs-esque in its inanity.
    The man arrested for allegedly having two unregistered, loaded guns near a Trump event this weekend says:

1) He's a Trump supporter
    2) He's been helping with the re-elect
    3) He was invited to the rally

He's been released from custody, facing misdemeanors

https://x.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1845788994509947189

This is an interesting but difficult area to get at the realities. No list of stuff will help. Though it seems intuitively to me that we have flogged the family silver to abroadland, what we would need is a breakdown of the overall total picture, including of course what the UK (whatever that means in this context) owns abroad, and how the UK picture compares with other medium sized wealthier countries, and whether any of it matters, and why.

Are the Daniel Priestleys basically saying that there is something wrong in itself about foreign investment in the UK? and if so what and why?
  • Eabhal said:

Probably because those roads are so dangerous. Chicken and egg.
    Utter nonsense
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,361

TOPPING said:

Shirley, NOTHING will EVER stop PB's own Peripathetic Traveller from moaning about . . . EVERYTHING . . .
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,408
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"like, share and subscriiiiiiiiiiiibbbbbb...."
    Am I bad person for laughing at this?
    Today is Columbus Day in the US.

But don’t let Kamala call it that, she already thinks it’s the most shameful day in America’s history.

https://x.com/mattwalshblog/status/1845807822761579007
    Too funny not to share: Congresswoman Kim Schrier has been running ads recently, opposing a merger of two big grocery chains (Kroger and Albertson), using, as an example, a box of Cheerios which she said cost 7 dollars. (I hadn't seen any that expensive, but cereal did go up in price, after Covid, and some brands disappeared completely.)

So one of the Kroger stores (QFC) is running a special, offering Cheerios boxes for $1.79 (small boxes, and you have to meet some other criteria, but most will see the headline number, and no more).

What makes it even funnier is that Schrier was a pediatrician practicing in a very expensive area. And that growing health costs are a much more serious problem in the US than food costs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Schrier

(For the record: I haven't seen enough on the proposed merger to have a firm opinion. In general, I prefer to have at least 5 strong competitors in any market.)
    algarkirk said:

This is an interesting but difficult area to get at the realities. No list of stuff will help. Though it seems intuitively to me that we have flogged the family silver to abroadland, what we would need is a breakdown of the overall total picture, including of course what the UK (whatever that means in this context) owns abroad, and how the UK picture compares with other medium sized wealthier countries, and whether any of it matters, and why.

Are the Daniel Priestleys basically saying that there is something wrong in itself about foreign investment in the UK? and if so what and why?
    There's nothing wrong with foreign investment. It's about the overall terms of trade.

I think the UK govt. Blue Book presents an estimate of the overall national balance ? In recent years the value of our overseas investments has fallen significantly below the foreign ownership of UK assets, AFAICS.

If you're assessing individual investments, then an example of one which doesn't benefit the UK would be Macquarie's purchase of Thames Water...

Nissan's car plant in the NE, the opposite.
    Sandpit said:

But don’t let Kamala call it that, she already thinks it’s the most shameful day in America’s history.

So why, in your view, does the US celebrate the Spanish conquest of S America ?
    Possible true.

Starship is going to change humanity well beyond going to Mars: It will transform the Earth too because the cost of sending stuff to space is about to drop by 10x

A tip of this future comes from the Silk Road [1/6]..

https://x.com/tomaspueyo/status/1845573933082333423

China is already flight testing its own reusable rocket prototypes.
    What's Europe doing ?

I have been saying this for some time. The only difference between this and if we were invaded by space aliens is that the space aliens would be better overseers. We're not an independent people being defended by our government against outsiders, we're stock animals being farmed by our government for the benefit of outsiders. We have forgotten the rationale for the existence of the sovereign Westphalian state.
    viewcode said:

I have been saying this for some time. The only difference between this and if we were invaded by space aliens is that the space aliens would be better overseers. We're not an independent people being defended by our government against outsiders, we're stock animals being farmed by our government for the benefit of outsiders. We have forgotten the rationale for the existence of the sovereign Westphalian state.
    We're not quite there yet.

But I notice Macquarie is back, at the investment event...
    Nigelb said:

Possible true.

Starship is going to change humanity well beyond going to Mars: It will transform the Earth too because the cost of sending stuff to space is about to drop by 10x

A tip of this future comes from the Silk Road [1/6]..

https://x.com/tomaspueyo/status/1845573933082333423

China is already flight testing its own reusable rocket prototypes.
    What's Europe doing ?

I want SeaDragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTQQ-fLFgY
    Releasing internal polls is usually a choice.
    Interesting.

NEW (GOP)
    @Senate_Fund
    Senate/President Battleground internals.

Texas: Cruz +1 (48-47), Trump +5 (50-45)
    Wisconsin: Baldwin +1 (46-45), Trump +1 (46-45)
    Pennsylvania: Casey +2 (48-46), Harris +1 (49-48)
    Montana: Sheehy +4 (48-44), Trump +17 (57-40)
    Arizona: Gallego +5 (47-42), TIE pres (47-47)
    Ohio: Brown +6 (45-39), Trump +4 (47-43)
    Nevada: Rosen +7 (43-36), TIE pres (46/46)
    Maryland: Alsobrooks +7 (48-41), Harris +29 (61-32)
    Michigan: Slotkin +8 (46-38), Harris +3 (45-42)..

https://x.com/lxeagle17/status/1845618278645006584
    sarissa said:

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

You can get over 800 people in the Great Snoring village hall?
    You should have seen it when Taylor Swift did a gig there.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,784
    viewcode said:

Trouble is... Where did the money for all this... stuff came from? This is what happens when you vote to have more and pay less.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,361

In the US, one of the perks used to be -- and probably still is in some places -- remarkably good luck at poker. If there were lobbyists in the games.

No doubt!

HOWEVER, note that NOT all politicos need such assistance to win at poker.

For example, Richard Nixon was a SERIOUS poker player, who reportedly helped finance his first political campaign, for US House in 1946, with the thousands of dollars (big money back then) he won playing the game while serving in the Navy during WWII.

Interesting article on poker-faced POTUSs, and link to recent book by the author:

http://www.historyisnowmagazine.com/blog/2023/12/7/poker-and-the-us-presidency

Ralph Crosby, "Poker, Politics & Presidents: How Card Playing and Other Games Impacted the Presidency—From George Washington to Joe Biden" (2023)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BW2QMKC1/?tag=httpwwwitshis-20
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,689

Sandpit said:

Its certainly startling. Is Chicago known to be a quick course? I think for world records the course needs to start and finish no more than a certain distance from each other.

Drugs is one option, but also new shoe tech. And we don't suspect Usain Bolt, even though he was so far out of the window of normal sprinters.
    The problem for Athletics is that it can't prove itself clean. There's been too many people caught doping later on.

What this means is that every exceptional achievement is suspected as being due to doping. But part of the excitement of sport is people doing extraordinary things. So Athletics is in serious trouble as a sport because all its greatest stories are automatically under a cloud of suspicion.

Sandpit said:

Presumably you follow her from quite a long way back?

*Based on your reported 10K times!
    :)

One of my old uni friends represented England at a minor sport. He was also a rather good long-distance Ironman triathlete.

My and my then-GF took part in the London to Cambridge bike ride. My friend drove to Cambridge, cycled down to the early-morning start, and then rode to the end. He absolutely thrashed us on the official race, despite already having done the distance once already.

I'm slow. But at least I do it...
    Sandpit said:

Secretly Jewish Columbus!

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/christopher-columbus-was-secretly-jewish-new-dna-study-reveals/ar-AA1scpDo?ocid=BingNewsVerp