Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Getting the non voters out – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• viewcode said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

‘I’m selling 35 of my 65 rental homes – this is only the beginning under Labour’

For many fed-up landlords, the Renters’ Rights Bill is the final straw

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/buy-to-let/selling-35-rental-homes-labour-not-only-one/

Here's 35 tiny violins:

🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻🎻 🎻
    Fine but expect rents to rise

Much of the demand for rental properties comes from young people with tens of thousands of savings but who are out-competed by BTL landlords and cash buyers when attempting to buy their own home.

I was one of them. It took an enormous bung from my parents to get on the ladder - for the years I was renting, a very large chunk of my salary went on paying off someone else's mortgage. Now I have my own.

If landlords flee the market and leave housing available for first time buyers, demand for rental properties will fall as much as supply.
    There are at least four problems with this:

1 - Much of the demand for rental property also does *not* come from young people.
    2 - If they are in a position to purchase LLs will not in general out-compete them. A key thing about a viable rental is that the viability is set up on the way in, by buying at a good price. If they have 10s of thousands of savings and an approved mortgage approval in place they effectively *are* cash buyers.
    3 - Large numbers of new housing developments simply ban sales to landlords. I see that in most new developments in my area. Yes, I do take the trouble to ask. FTBs have a clear run on those.
    4 - The equal occupation claim is not true. I refer you to the spare bedrooms stats in the English Housing Survey, for example. They show that under occupation overwhelmingly exists in the Owner Occupied sector. Private and Social rented sectors are both close to being fully occupied.
    The occupation statistic is meaningless, its just measuring the fact that more owner occupiers are old people who bought their family home when they were younger and had kids and now still live there as grandparents but without kids in the building anymore.

Unless you want to kick people out of their home rather than just building more homes, there's no solution or relevance to that statistic.
    All my 3 children own their homes and are not 'old' people and our youngest is likely to own our family home in due course
    How old are your children? I know people think of their offspring as children indefinitely, but you and your good lady wife are in your late 70/early 80s.
    57 - 53 - 49
    Those are all old ages when it comes to starting a family or getting homes.

Pregnancies over 35 are geriatric, so really ideally people should be in a home of their own well before then as was typical two decades ago but isn't the norm anymore.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,351
    "The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has finally admitted that the 2021 census figures on the transgender population of England and Wales are irredeemably flawed. They no longer count as ‘accredited official statistics’. This is the first time that data from the decennial census – the backbone of British statistics since 1801 – has been downgraded.

This humiliating climb-down came just a week before the Office for Statistics Regulation published its final review on these statistics. This review had been provoked by my critique of the census transgender figures, publicized in the Spectator last year. Until now, the ONS has brushed aside criticism from sociologists such as myself and Alice Sullivan, and from human rights campaigners like Maya Forstater of Sex Matters and Nicola Williams of Fair Play for Women."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-ons-finally-admits-to-flawed-trans-population-statistics/
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,340
    edited September 16
    It appears the social media companies have deleted the accounts (well stopped the public viewing them) of the individual named as suspect in Trump incident.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Uh ho, another assassination attempt on Trump?

It took place on a golf course.

Do we know that @Dura_Ace is safe and at liberty?

(It may have been a mistake of course. Trump may have been trying to shoot below 200 for once and got frustrated.)
    If the shot missed, it wasn't me.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,600
    https://x.com/govrondesantis/status/1835476568212201744

The State of Florida will be conducting its own investigation regarding the attempted assassination at Trump International Golf Club.

The people deserve the truth about the would be assassin and how he was able to get within 500 yards of the former president and current GOP nominee.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,051
    Andy_JS said:

"The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has finally admitted that the 2021 census figures on the transgender population of England and Wales are irredeemably flawed. They no longer count as ‘accredited official statistics’. This is the first time that data from the decennial census – the backbone of British statistics since 1801 – has been downgraded.

This humiliating climb-down came just a week before the Office for Statistics Regulation published its final review on these statistics. This review had been provoked by my critique of the census transgender figures, publicized in the Spectator last year. Until now, the ONS has brushed aside criticism from sociologists such as myself and Alice Sullivan, and from human rights campaigners like Maya Forstater of Sex Matters and Nicola Williams of Fair Play for Women."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-ons-finally-admits-to-flawed-trans-population-statistics/

Perhaps a less fraught description would help
    • ONS (E&W): Our trans extimate of 0.5% is correct!
    • Spectator: No it isn't! It's 0.4%
    • ONS (E&W): Yes it is!
    • Spectator: You're biased!
    • ONS (E&W): No I'm not! Dad, Spectator are being mean!
    • Statistical Authority: OK, let's have a look. Office of Statistical Regulation, have a look.
    • OSR: OK
    • OSR: Let's wait for Scotland
    • NRS (Scotland): Our trans estimate is 0.45%-ish
    • ONS (E&W): Ooops.
    • Statistical Authority. OK, let's downgrade the stat and work on a gender identity data harmonised standard. ONS, you're not biased. Let's try to get it right for 2031, 'kay
    • ONS (E&W). 'kay
    (The England and Wales 2021 census asked if the gender identity matched that assigned at birth. The Scotland 2022 census asked if you are trans or have a trans history. They gave slightly different answers) You think this is bad, you should have seen the 1991 census... :)
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,051
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

• Statistical Authority: OK, let's have a look. Office of Statistical Regulation, have a look.
    • Statistical Authority. OK, let's downgrade the stat and work on a gender identity data harmonised standard. ONS, you're not biased. Let's try to get it right for 2031, 'kay
    • ONS (E&W). 'kay
    (The England and Wales 2021 census asked if the gender identity matched that assigned at birth. The Scotland 2022 census asked if you are trans or have a trans history. They gave slightly different answers) You think this is bad, you should have seen the 1991 census... :)
    ...and don't get me started on 2011 Canada :)
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,854
    HYUFD said:

I heard Ed Davey on Newsround earlier this week.
    Total drivel.

It’s sad, but the Lib Dems seem to have mutated from a gang of liberal policy wonks to somethin akin to a Waitrose users group.

Presume the Liberal Democrat magazine now comes with recipe ideas sponsored by Charlie Bigham.

The LDs are now basically the party of voters who hate Brexit but are too posh to vote Labour. Locally they add on a few pensioners at council elections who hate new homes in nearby fields and want the potholes done but still vote Tory nationally.

Yes for their national voters Waitrose and Charlie Bingham meals are a must along with holidays in Tuscany.

I thought you were supposed to be on a charm offensive, young HY!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,714

It appears the social media companies have deleted the accounts (well stopped the public viewing them) of the individual named as suspect in Trump incident.

Too late. They have all been screen-shotted.

To the embarrassment of the "Democrats provoke these assassination attempts!" squad. They should be looking at Nikki Haley instead, it seems.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,714
    An AK-47? Thought they were used for spraying bullets around, in the hope that one might hit the barn door?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,726
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

• ONS (E&W). 'kay
    If you know any trans individuals, you'll know that many of them did nut answer that question on the census, because they do not trust government.

I had a look for statistics a year or two back and concluded there aren't any reliable numbers.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,599

An AK-47? Thought they were used for spraying bullets around, in the hope that one might hit the barn door?

To be fair, Trump is a pretty large target, but not quite a barn door.

The interesting question is whether people believe he set him up himself. Given the profile of the person who didn’t take any shots it seems unlikely but you never know.

Interesting that it’s disaffected Republicans want him dead though.
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

I heard Ed Davey on Newsround earlier this week.
    Total drivel.

It’s sad, but the Lib Dems seem to have mutated from a gang of liberal policy wonks to somethin akin to a Waitrose users group.

Presume the Liberal Democrat magazine now comes with recipe ideas sponsored by Charlie Bigham.

The LDs are now basically the party of voters who hate Brexit but are too posh to vote Labour. Locally they add on a few pensioners at council elections who hate new homes in nearby fields and want the potholes done but still vote Tory nationally.

Yes for their national voters Waitrose and Charlie Bingham meals are a must along with holidays in Tuscany.

I thought you were supposed to be on a charm offensive, young HY!
    Young HY needs to look in the mirror and ask himself who the Tories represent these days.
    You cannot comprehend the RAGE that rushed through me as I saw that the first google result for googling Hieronymus Bosch is incestuous AI slop..

What are we even doing here...?

https://x.com/ItsTheTalia/status/1835092917418889710

To the embarrassment of the "Democrats provoke these assassination attempts!" squad. They should be looking at Nikki Haley instead, it seems.
    Seems he was disappointed that Covid hadn't killed Trump, Biden and Bernie Sanders.
    Nigelb said:

Seems he was disappointed that Covid hadn't killed Trump, Biden and Bernie Sanders.
    I bet those go viral.
    Huge Supreme Court docs leak exposes chief justice meddling in Trump's January 6 and election cases - read his memos
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13853061/Huge-Supreme-Court-docs-leak-exposes-chief-justice-meddling-Trumps-January-6-election-cases-read-memos.html
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,280
    Another armed idiot trying to have a pop at Trump. Thankfully this one got chased away and arrested, rather than shot dead, and didn’t get close to the former President.
    Maybe a politician who has been subject to assassination attempts shouldn't be running a hate campaign against a celebrity who makes her living performing in public ?

This is vile on its own terms, but it's also unbelievably irresponsible.
    https://x.com/rockstarronan/status/1835356809319809084
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042

The FBI, Secret Service and local Sheriff's office have just given a press conference.

A Secret Service agent in charge of staying one hole ahead of Trump on his golf course spotted a rifle sticking out of bushes
    One or more secret service agents then opened fire on a potential suspect
    Police units then sealed off the area immediately
    A witness saw a man running from the bushes and entering a black Nissan car
    Police then pulled over the black Nissan and the man was detained
    An AK-47 style rifle with a scope was recovered from a bush where the suspect was seen, along with two backpacks and a GoPro camera

Has he got a Russian accent?
    Per my bsky feed he seems to be a pro-NATO radical. Tried to organize an Afghan militia to fight in Ukraine and/or Taiwan. Tried to broker an anti-Trump pact between Haley and Ramaswamy. Also previously ran for mayor of Honolulu on a platform of normalizing relations with North Korea, not sure where that fits in.
    Fits with the idea that he's a nutter
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited September 16

It all sounds too good to be true for Trump.

Colour me sceptical. Trump tanking in the polls so a Republican voting would -be killer gets within a kilometre of assassinating Trump. This has the aroma of sweaty bollocks to my untrained eye. After all it worked like clockwork last time.

Despite the egregious, inciteful shite Trump comes out with, the rolling news channels are suggesting that the Harris campaign have created the climate for Trump's assassination, by his own supporters. Double bollocks!

vik said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Can people stop shooting at Trump . We’re now going to get a week of the orange psycho channeling his no surrender routine .

He is going to use this, even though it looks unconnected, but the election is only just over 8 weeks away so not much longer to wait for Harris to win POTUS
    She's not going to win. Trump wins the College.
    After your incredibly confidence - repeated ad nauseam on here every night - that Rishi would win, do you think it might be time to dial down the attention-seeking certainty?
    Sorry Anabob, but if you believe a Harris win to be likely you may be very disappointed. Nate Silver is calling it for Trump. Several non-partisans on here are calling the College for Trump too.
    Nate Silver jumped his shark some time back.
    He's about as credible as Frank Luntz - who just called the race for Harris.

Neither have any more of a clue than you or I.
    Allan Lichtman has also called it for Harris. He's been more accurate than Nate Silver (he called 2016 for Trump).
    He doesn't believe in polls at all. He has a checklist of 13 things. As for versus Silver, what made Nate a superstar was his ability to not only pick POTUS but how accurate he was all the way down the tickets.

All these people are often considered Nostradamus until they aren't.
    Silver hasn't exactly called it for Trump. His forecast makes Trump currently slight favorite. If Harris is still slightly ahead in the polls in a couple of weeks I guess he'll have Harris as slight favorite.
    ydoethur said:

The interesting question is whether people believe he set him up himself. Given the profile of the person who didn’t take any shots it seems unlikely but you never know.

They might, but this shooter isn't a Republican so far as anyone knows.
    Nigelb said:

Maybe a politician who has been subject to assassination attempts shouldn't be running a hate campaign against a celebrity who makes her living performing in public ?

This is vile on its own terms, but it's also unbelievably irresponsible.
    https://x.com/rockstarronan/status/1835356809319809084

If you scroll down Bette Midler is suggesting Trump's tweet is inviting a nutjobs hit on Taylor Swift.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

"AK-47" can mean just about anything and the accuracy largely depends on the manufacturer of the barrel. The Serbian and Hungarian ones were very good. The Egyptian and Chinese ones were shit hot garbage that would stovepipe after three rounds.

Colour me sceptical. Trump tanking in the polls so a Republican voting would -be killer gets within a kilometre of assassinating Trump. This has the aroma of sweaty bollocks to my untrained eye. After all it worked like clockwork last time.

Despite the egregious, inciteful shite Trump comes out with, the rolling news channels are suggesting that the Harris campaign have created the climate for Trump's assassination, by his own supporters. Double bollocks!
    This post reminds me of the old saying:

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.
    kamski said:

ydoethur said:

'tried to broker an anti-Trump pact between Haley and Ramaswamy' doesn't shriek 'Democrat' to me.
    kamski said:

Standing in the foyer of Trump Tower on 5th Avenue I got closer to potentially assassinating Trump than this daft f*****.. The GOP voting
    would -be assassin was in greater danger from one of Trump's wayward drives down the sixth fairway than Trump ever was.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,763

vik said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Can people stop shooting at Trump . We’re now going to get a week of the orange psycho channeling his no surrender routine .

He is going to use this, even though it looks unconnected, but the election is only just over 8 weeks away so not much longer to wait for Harris to win POTUS
    She's not going to win. Trump wins the College.
    After your incredibly confidence - repeated ad nauseam on here every night - that Rishi would win, do you think it might be time to dial down the attention-seeking certainty?
    Sorry Anabob, but if you believe a Harris win to be likely you may be very disappointed. Nate Silver is calling it for Trump. Several non-partisans on here are calling the College for Trump too.
    Nate Silver jumped his shark some time back.
    He's about as credible as Frank Luntz - who just called the race for Harris.

Neither have any more of a clue than you or I.
    Allan Lichtman has also called it for Harris. He's been more accurate than Nate Silver (he called 2016 for Trump).
    He doesn't believe in polls at all. He has a checklist of 13 things. As for versus Silver, what made Nate a superstar was his ability to not only pick POTUS but how accurate he was all the way down the tickets.

All these people are often considered Nostradamus until they aren't.
    Yes predictions in an election this close are worth as much as astrology or tossing a coin.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,660
    kamski said:

It doesn't seem terribly correct anatomically. Perhaps it suffers in translation.
    kamski said:

ydoethur said:

They're the ones with their own personal arsenals, so the probability, let alone the evidence, suggests he probably is.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,440
    People on Twitter (yes, I know...) are saying the guy is a pro-Ukraine nutjob who fought in Ukraine for a few months.

Which would be *very* convenient for both Trump and Putin.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,182
    Nigelb said:

He also thinks that COVID-19 did not come from animals in the Wuhan wet market.
  • People on Twitter (yes, I know...) are saying the guy is a pro-Ukraine nutjob who fought in Ukraine for a few months.

The Times have the same story

https://www.thetimes.com/article/6202d93c-fc62-4535-80c1-ceab2c21710d?shareToken=f3a51b22ccd25f506d8be9412ff3438d
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,545
    edited September 16

People on Twitter (yes, I know...) are saying the guy is a pro-Ukraine nutjob who fought in Ukraine for a few months.

He's in this NYT story about the trouble Ukraine have been having with various military-minded nutcases showing up to "help".

https://archive.md/VR4ge
    Further to my point about Trump seeking to deport legal migrants.

Trump here uses the phrase "remigration." I was unfamiliar with the term, so I googled it.

Wikipedia describes it as a "far-right and Identitarian political concept" largely used to describe the mass deportation of non-white immigrants and their descendants from Europe.

https://x.com/ReichlinMelnick/status/1835398406572839103
  • NEW THREAD

kamski said:

ydoethur said:

They're the ones with their own personal arsenals, so the probability, let alone the evidence, suggests he probably is.
    Well, as an unaffiliated voter he voted in this year's Democratic primary (for Biden). He donated to ActBlue f 2019-2020.
    Against that he said he voted Trump in 2016, and he has access to a gun. He's also a white man with a criminal record, so I guess that proves it.

Are you actually another one of Leon's identities? if so well-played - you had me fooled!
    I'm astonished to learn that Vance was probably lying about something else. And that the MSM has yet to check his numbers.

Thread:

Far-right movements have been using Springfield, Ohio as a propaganda tool since early 2023.

There aren’t 20,000 Haitian immigrants there
    in fact, there are barely 5,000 in the entire state.

The level of cognitive dissonance required for this narrative is staggering...

https://x.com/ellim992/status/1834808909452001532

As for those 'swamped' (why is that always the verb of choice ?) local services.

Annual head count for Springfield City School District on those files -

2024: 7,415
    2023: 7,227
    2022: 7,107
    2021: 7,099
    2020: 7,716
    2019: 7,551
    2018: 7,661
    2017: 7,759..

https://x.com/ellim992/status/1834808913696637126

National media has been broadcasting Trump and Vance's shit for days, and not bothered to do some simple journalism.

AFAIK, Vance has never visited Springfield.