Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Getting the non voters out – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,726

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

The EU isn’t as toxic now as many people realize the problems of the country are down to governments here . Even with the alleged taking back control of the border immigration went up .

Those who voted Leave thinking it would solve a lot of problems realize they have been duped . So suggesting closer ties with the EU shouldn’t be controversial now .

Labour shouldn’t fear the right wing media hysteria about getting closer to the EU.

For the next few years, Brapprochment and Brejoin look exactly the same. The Frost/Cummings/Johnson model of Brexit pinged us so far away, and burnt through so much trust, that baby steps are all that can be taken for now.

Now there may come a point where we, as a nation, conclude "this close and no closer", but I'm not quite sure where that is. Each incremental step seems to make sense on its own terms as a something-for-something.

And I can't help noticing that those urging something faster tend to not wish non-Conservative politicians well.
    Yes the salami treatment is the way, and LDs are quite open about our intentions. Join the various programmes, agricultural agreements then Single Market. By the time we apply to Rejoin there will barely be a stub of Brexit left.
    You've glossed over the improbability of stage one: the election of a Lib Dem government.
    A LD majority government is unlikely in 2029, but holding the balance of power in a hung parliament and therefore being in a position to influence European policy of the government much more likely. Particularly as we would be pushing at an open door with much of the Labour party (Starmer would be out if he loses his majority) and in agreement with Greens, PC, and SNP.

It's a long game, but with the continuing decline in the polling for Brexit, and a net million of Leavers departing via the Grim Reaper by 2029, we are only going in one direction.
  • I'm still puzzled by the Henry Jackson Society polling that had such a big impact on our election.

It was done by J L Partners and it used "River Sampling for British Muslims, Online panel sample for General Public"

Why?

And why different sample sizes? And the fieldwork is 4 weeks for British muslims vs 2 days for the general public.

It doesn't appear to have been part of a series on, for example, British Hindus and British Jews.

And the question framing is very... odd.

And what did their "river sampling" actually look like, in reality?

They say they're registered with the BPC, so, presumably they are transparent about this stuff?

Was it actually a random sample, or did they seek out British muslims with extreme views?

Surely the BPC haven't allowed themselves to be so manipulated? And JL Partners is reputable, no?

Links?
    https://henryjacksonsociety.org/2024/04/08/only-one-in-four-british-muslims-believe-hamas-committed-murder-and-rape-in-israel-on-october-7th/
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,950
    Test
  • boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Given the number of 'gifts' Starmer has accepted from dubious people I wonder if he ever watched this film about a lawyer / politician:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3-e7mtDcAs

The contrast fo £19 grand on frocks and thongs versus £300 to help a pensioner get through the winter just int a good look.
    It’s incredible. And it’s not like the Starmers are poor. They are multi millionaires with groaning huge pensions and earning maybe £300k a year as a household? £400k?

And the wife accepts pretty dresses as a gift??? Right at the start of their first term?

WTAF

It screams: meet the new boss same as the old boss, only the new boss is a fucking hypocrite who wants to make you miserable and stop you eating pies, whereas the old boss was just a greedy shit and didn’t care what you do
    Most governments end in sleaze.

Starmer's government has started in sleaze.
    Something it shares in common with labour in 97 and cash for fags
    What’s the quid pro quo?
    This is nothing like “cash for fags”.

Keir seems to have been careless. The optics are not great but this is not a government that has “started in sleaze”.
    “Careless”???

He knowingly accepted tens of thousands in freebies not only for himself. But for his wife, also

In return the donor was given a free pass to the commons - completely against the rules

Whoops! Butter fingers!
    If I was about to become PM, I feel like Mrs Walker might also need a telegenic spruce up. Suddenly, she is in the public eye.

The British state affords no such largesse, and I don’t think the Starmers are personally wealthy.

It therefore seems that this rather shabby compromise has developed whereby PMs get some kind of image support from well placed donors.

Starmer’s sin is administrative. He should have declared it all. It’s not obvious why and how he overlooked it.
    They are both high earners and have been for a long time - many many people manage to look good each day without a state bung for their clothes. If you don’t want to deal with that then you could just not run for leadership of a party where you might end up as PM.

Its not as if it’s a lifetime problem - they can blow a bit of cash because he will more than make up for it afterwards on the speaking circuit, books, whatever. It just looks grasping.
    It stinks of corruption. After what's gone on with the previous government, this Labour government is showing it's not any better. And the stink is coming from the very top.

Why, Starmer, why? What the **** were you thinking? You're supposed to be the sensible adult in the room. And then you accept this sort of 'deal', and 'forget' to declare it.

You're no better than the last lot.
    I’m not sure it’s corruption just stupidity. He probably thought that it was such small beer and had justified it to himself that it wasn’t a problem. His problem is he’s such a twatty puritanical preachy knob. If Boris and Carrie did it then everyone would raise an eyebrow or shrug but Sir Keir Cromwell was such a pious prick that he needed to be whiter than white.

If this was a Conservative MP, let alone Conservative leader, Starmer would not be saying "It's just stupidity, not corruption".

This all interrelates as well: it's not the first time he's forgotten to declare free gifts; and AIUI this time it's connected with the donor getting a No. 10 pass.

One of his few selling points was that he was an adult in the room; someone who could get things done properly without fuss, as he apparently did during his time as DPP.

It stinks. And the amounts make it worse.

Boris was (rightly) brought down by a cake. SKS will get away with this, but he should not.
    To be fair if we don’t have to see this dreadful suit again it might be good for the country.

And the “son of a toolmaker” shoes.
    Lammy apparently met Biden with Starmer wearing trainers
    It’s just tragic wankery. Grown adults thinking they are edgy by dressing badly. You have people praising Angela Rayner for dressing like a student - she’s a sodding cabinet member, Deputy PM of the UK. Scruffy politicians for a scruffy country.
    Boris!!
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Given the number of 'gifts' Starmer has accepted from dubious people I wonder if he ever watched this film about a lawyer / politician:

The contrast fo £19 grand on frocks and thongs versus £300 to help a pensioner get through the winter just int a good look.
    It’s incredible. And it’s not like the Starmers are poor. They are multi millionaires with groaning huge pensions and earning maybe £300k a year as a household? £400k?

And the wife accepts pretty dresses as a gift??? Right at the start of their first term?

WTAF

It screams: meet the new boss same as the old boss, only the new boss is a fucking hypocrite who wants to make you miserable and stop you eating pies, whereas the old boss was just a greedy shit and didn’t care what you do

What’s the quid pro quo?

Keir seems to have been careless. The optics are not great but this is not a government that has “started in sleaze”.
    “Careless”???

He knowingly accepted tens of thousands in freebies not only for himself. But for his wife, also

In return the donor was given a free pass to the commons - completely against the rules

Whoops! Butter fingers!
    If I was about to become PM, I feel like Mrs Walker might also need a telegenic spruce up. Suddenly, she is in the public eye.

The British state affords no such largesse, and I don’t think the Starmers are personally wealthy.

It therefore seems that this rather shabby compromise has developed whereby PMs get some kind of image support from well placed donors.

Starmer’s sin is administrative. He should have declared it all. It’s not obvious why and how he overlooked it.
    They are both high earners and have been for a long time - many many people manage to look good each day without a state bung for their clothes. If you don’t want to deal with that then you could just not run for leadership of a party where you might end up as PM.

Its not as if it’s a lifetime problem - they can blow a bit of cash because he will more than make up for it afterwards on the speaking circuit, books, whatever. It just looks grasping.
    It stinks of corruption. After what's gone on with the previous government, this Labour government is showing it's not any better. And the stink is coming from the very top.

Why, Starmer, why? What the **** were you thinking? You're supposed to be the sensible adult in the room. And then you accept this sort of 'deal', and 'forget' to declare it.

I’m not sure it’s corruption just stupidity. He probably thought that it was such small beer and had justified it to himself that it wasn’t a problem. His problem is he’s such a twatty puritanical preachy knob. If Boris and Carrie did it then everyone would raise an eyebrow or shrug but Sir Keir Cromwell was such a pious prick that he needed to be whiter than white.

If this was a Conservative MP, let alone Conservative leader, Starmer would not be saying "It's just stupidity, not corruption".

This all interrelates as well: it's not the first time he's forgotten to declare free gifts; and AIUI this time it's connected with the donor getting a No. 10 pass.

One of his few selling points was that he was an adult in the room; someone who could get things done properly without fuss, as he apparently did during his time as DPP.

Boris was (rightly) brought down by a cake. SKS will get away with this, but he should not.
    To be fair if we don’t have to see this dreadful suit again it might be good for the country.

It’s just tragic wankery. Grown adults thinking they are edgy by dressing badly. You have people praising Angela Rayner for dressing like a student - she’s a sodding cabinet member, Deputy PM of the UK. Scruffy politicians for a scruffy country.
    The country's gone to the dogs ever since PMs stopped wearing morning suits as standard.

If I ever became PM I would insist on morning suits to be worn during all official events/meetings.

Indeed
    Morning suits are rubbish. Morning coat and spongebag trousers, like the guy on the right.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,415
    Nunu5 said:

‘I’m selling 35 of my 65 rental homes – this is only the beginning under Labour’

For many fed-up landlords, the Renters’ Rights Bill is the final straw

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/buy-to-let/selling-35-rental-homes-labour-not-only-one/

That will make houses cheaper to buy.
    Don’t worry. They will probably be bought by a large commercial landlord, who will put the rental prices up, and reduce the service levels.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,495
    edited September 15

I'm still puzzled by the Henry Jackson Society polling that had such a big impact on our election.

It was done by J L Partners and it used "River Sampling for British Muslims, Online panel sample for General Public"

Why?

And why different sample sizes? And the fieldwork is 4 weeks for British muslims vs 2 days for the general public.

It doesn't appear to have been part of a series on, for example, British Hindus and British Jews.

And the question framing is very... odd.

And what did their "river sampling" actually look like, in reality?

They say they're registered with the BPC, so, presumably they are transparent about this stuff?

Was it actually a random sample, or did they seek out British muslims with extreme views?

Surely the BPC haven't allowed themselves to be so manipulated? And JL Partners is reputable, no?

Links?
    https://henryjacksonsociety.org/2024/04/08/only-one-in-four-british-muslims-believe-hamas-committed-murder-and-rape-in-israel-on-october-7th/
    Some of these questions 👀👀👀

Which of the following statements comes closest to your view in explaining why Hamas attacked Israel on October 7th?

Because Hamas wanted to kill Jews and is set on the destruction of Israel

Because Hamas wanted to forward the Palestinian cause
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,895

Nunu5 said:

‘I’m selling 35 of my 65 rental homes – this is only the beginning under Labour’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/buy-to-let/selling-35-rental-homes-labour-not-only-one/

Don’t worry. They will probably be bought by a large commercial landlord, who will put the rental prices up, and reduce the service levels.
    And hopefully Labour will screw them over too. This violin emoji is going to seriously abused over the next 6 months.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,855
    edited September 15

The main problem he has is Osborne's decision essentially to treat business expenses such as mortgage interest as income, rather than being a business expense, in the tax system.

He's selling half to reduce leverage to manage his tax expenses imposed inconsistently by Osborne.

That abuse needs reform.

With a portfolio that size his solution would have been to set up a property company for any acquired post-Osborne, and deleverage the personally owned ones.

His "this is only the beginning" strikes me as a little hysterical. The Renters' Rights Bill does not show too many problems so far.

eg What is the problem with investigating hazards within a fortnight?

Full text of article:
    https://archive.ph/0ASZu
  • Surely it's "boss's"?

@davidlammy

The boss' team won this time against the run of play, but it's still early in the season. #northlondonderby

https://x.com/DavidLammy/status/1835338330998726989
    edited September 15
    Nunu5 said:

I don't see it. The % of the market is tiny, and since occupation will be less dense there is no indication that the demand-supply balance will actually change.

There will be a comparatively far greater adjustment in the PRS, because it is a far smaller segment of the market.

When rentals in Scotland were reformed in 2015 (?) (which was a good thing in certain respects) it was notable how comparatively quickly rents increased over the following years.

"We hate landlords" politics are *never* in the interest of tenants.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,051
    Roger said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

I heard Ed Davey on News Agents earlier this week.
    Total drivel.

It’s sad, but the Lib Dems seem to have mutated from a gang of liberal policy wonks to somethin akin to a Waitrose users group.

Presume the Liberal Democrat magazine now comes with recipe ideas sponsored by Charlie Bigham.

Anything you want to complain about specifically or are you just having a Sunday afternoon whinge?
    I just told you. Davey came across well-meaning but having no actual conception of challenges faced by the country.

And in theory, I’m a Davey supporter (and in practice a Lib Dem voter).
    As I wrote this I thought to myself, the Lib Dems are now the sort of party that supports the WASPI women cause.

I checked, and of course they do.

Not serious.
    The weird thing is, the LDs had an open goal and an obvious role: become the Rejoin Now party

Promise an instant return to the SM and CU and a new referendum within a year

Yet they refused to take the chance and waffled vaguely, instead

They should have been the Remainer version of the SNP. Make Rejoin their one big profound policy, their raison d’etre

In a weird volatile election, with lots of Remainers looking warily (and with justification) at Starmer, that could have been explosive. But no
    No, wasting time and effort on "Rejoining" is an elephant trap of epic proportions.

The first problem is we have no idea under what terms the EU would consider the UK (re)joining. Would we have to accept the Euro and Schengen for example? I'm sure plenty would object to that.

Even if the EU offered status quo ante referendum, we'd still have issues over QMV and the rebates.

We had to leave because our half-hearted mean-spirited rebate-obsessed membership wasn't doing either us or the EU any good and we took a democratic vote deciding to leave.

There would also be huge resistance to any attempt to reintroduce Freedom of Movement which I believe is a prerequisite for membership of the Single Market - indeed, it would be a huge gift for Reform if anyone were to try.
    I’m a brexiteer and I would vote Leave again tomorrow (indeed I think events are now beginning to show Leave was the right choice, belatedly)

I’m talking about the raw politics. The Lib Dems had a ginormous open goal in GE 2024. Rejoin could have propelled them to triple digit MPs and who knows what, after that

Instead they are indeed content to be a sad little pressure group as @Gardenwalker says. Waspi and Waitrose
    In fairness, the LibDems achieved their highest MP count since 1923, achieved an improvement in seats from 12 to 72(!) (3 taxis to 18 taxis) and piloted a revolutionary new campaigning technique that I think Harris/Walz are copying. I think they'll be happy with that... :)
    What's the new campaigning technique?
    Avoiding policy questions and positions as much as possible and concentrate on eyecatching cheerful locations/activities to give off a cheerful aspect without all that messy political stuff. I'd call it the Davey technique but I don't know what others do

Here's three examples from Walz
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5DnJVpM9bdk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvsjx5ubUI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S233kqP0ak8
    Uh ho, another assassination attempt on Trump?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,209
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

The EU isn’t as toxic now as many people realize the problems of the country are down to governments here . Even with the alleged taking back control of the border immigration went up .

Those who voted Leave thinking it would solve a lot of problems realize they have been duped . So suggesting closer ties with the EU shouldn’t be controversial now .

Labour shouldn’t fear the right wing media hysteria about getting closer to the EU.

For the next few years, Brapprochment and Brejoin look exactly the same. The Frost/Cummings/Johnson model of Brexit pinged us so far away, and burnt through so much trust, that baby steps are all that can be taken for now.

Now there may come a point where we, as a nation, conclude "this close and no closer", but I'm not quite sure where that is. Each incremental step seems to make sense on its own terms as a something-for-something.

And I can't help noticing that those urging something faster tend to not wish non-Conservative politicians well.
    Yes the salami treatment is the way, and LDs are quite open about our intentions. Join the various programmes, agricultural agreements then Single Market. By the time we apply to Rejoin there will barely be a stub of Brexit left.
    You've glossed over the improbability of stage one: the election of a Lib Dem government.
    A LD majority government is unlikely in 2029, but holding the balance of power in a hung parliament and therefore being in a position to influence European policy of the government much more likely. Particularly as we would be pushing at an open door with much of the Labour party (Starmer would be out if he loses his majority) and in agreement with Greens, PC, and SNP.

It's a long game, but with the continuing decline in the polling for Brexit, and a net million of Leavers departing via the Grim Reaper by 2029, we are only going in one direction.
    Delusional

No government would ever take the risk of an EU referendum unless it was sure it would win: and we would vote to Rejoin

But the only time we might vote for all the hassles of Rejoin - the years of negotiation and uncertainty, the strong possibility of another EU state vetoing - is if Britain is an economic basket case and we are desperate

But in that situation the government will be deeply unpopular and will never call a referendum in case it loses as the people vent their anger

There is no way around this paradox. We are never going back in

Also, as time goes by the advantages of being outside will accrue and the pains of separation will recede into memory. See the recent Apple announcements for evidence of the first
    Foxy said:

Sounds like a nice CGT windfall for Reeves. Winners all round!
    Nah, he will buy the First Lady some fancy knickers and an exemption applying to his case will coincidentally crop up in the budget. You have a lot to learn about life in a banana republic.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,368

Surely it's "boss's"?

@davidlammy

The boss' team won this time against the run of play, but it's still early in the season. #northlondonderby

It’s the same apostrophe situation as “useless thicko sucks up to boss’s football team”.
  • boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

WTAF

What’s the quid pro quo?

“Careless”???

Whoops! Butter fingers!

The country's gone to the dogs ever since PMs stopped wearing morning suits as standard.

If I ever became PM I would insist on morning suits to be worn during all official events/meetings.
    Even if these events occurred in the evening??
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,726
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

This is the best cycle path in the world. Completely flat but magnificently exhilarating

Sounds splendid, if alarming.
    You ought to have a go at the Monsal Trail in Derbyshire, which is Britain's answer to that trail. Implausibly pleasant, on a sunny day. Not so precipitous, but a similar idea.
    In the Peaks? I love the Peak District. It’s so peculiar - that wildness tucked away amidst urban/industrial Britain

I’ve now decided this is actually the SECOND best cycle path in the world. There is an even more stimulating one - also completely flat - in the Everglades National Park, where you are expected to calmly cycle around all the wild alligators (that like to bask on the tarmac)

It was terrifying but the rangers at the gates assured me it was safe. I still wonder if they were hoping I would get eaten
    How well were they acquainted with you ?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,600
    Leon said:

Also, as time goes by the advantages of being outside will accrue and the pains of separation will recede into memory. See the recent Apple announcements for evidence of the first

Even Nick Clegg says that the EU is "incoherent" and falling behind in tech. The world is moving on while for some people it's forever 2016.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,599
    edited September 15
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

This is the best cycle path in the world. Completely flat but magnificently exhilarating

You ought to have a go at the Monsal Trail in Derbyshire, which is Britain's answer to that trail. Implausibly pleasant, on a sunny day. Not so precipitous, but a similar idea.
    In the Peaks? I love the Peak District. It’s so peculiar - that wildness tucked away amidst urban/industrial Britain

I’ve now decided this is actually the SECOND best cycle path in the world. There is an even more stimulating one - also completely flat - in the Everglades National Park, where you are expected to calmly cycle around all the wild alligators (that like to bask on the tarmac)

It was terrifying but the rangers at the gates assured me it was safe. I still wonder if they were hoping I would get eaten
    Yes - ISTR the Monsal Trail is actually in the top two of Peak District visitor attractions (vying with Chatsworth). It's well worth a visit - with an early start you can do there-and-back in a morning before a late lunch at the Blind Bull in Great Hucklow. Or else stop in Bakewell for a Bakewell-pudding-based elevenses.

I'm pleased you like the Peaks. For me, it's one of those situations where we don't value highly enough what's right on our doorstep; I enjoy the Peaks, but I can see them from the motorway bridge at the end of the road, so are a bit unexotic - I get much more excited about the Lakes and the Yorkshire Dales.

But I remember a night away at a hotel in the Peaks a couple of years back, at which there was a wedding the next day, and lots of 20 somethings from London were turning up - I very much enjoyed the genuine awe they were expressing at the scenery in what I kind of consider my back yard.

That's been added to my list.

But surely the greatest cycle trail in Europe is the Mawddach Trail at Dolgellau. Scenery of the Alps with the gradients of Holland - plus a pub en route in an old station building.
    boulay said:

Surely it's "boss's"?

@davidlammy

It’s the same apostrophe situation as “useless thicko sucks up to boss’s football team”.
    This is a mildly interesting topic, but hardly on a par with Marie Antoinette' discovery of radium.
    edited September 15
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Yes - ISTR the Monsal Trail is actually in the top two of Peak District visitor attractions (vying with Chatsworth). It's well worth a visit - with an early start you can do there-and-back in a morning before a late lunch at the Blind Bull in Great Hucklow. Or else stop in Bakewell for a Bakewell-pudding-based elevenses.

I'm pleased you like the Peaks. For me, it's one of those situations where we don't value highly enough what's right on our doorstep; I enjoy the Peaks, but I can see them from the motorway bridge at the end of the road, so are a bit unexotic - I get much more excited about the Lakes and the Yorkshire Dales.

But I remember a night away at a hotel in the Peaks a couple of years back, at which there was a wedding the next day, and lots of 20 somethings from London were turning up - I very much enjoyed the genuine awe they were expressing at the scenery in what I kind of consider my back yard.

That's been added to my list.

But surely the greatest cycle trail in Europe is the Mawddach Trail at Dolgellau. Scenery of the Alps with the gradients of Holland - plus a pub en route in an old station building.
    I'd suggest the greatest cycle trail in Europe is to do the length of the Rhine. Cycling Mikey did that I think last year, and did various videoblogs.

On the Monsal Trail walking / cycling path, we've only just seen off an attempt to turn it back into a railway.
    mercator said:

boulay said:

Surely it's "boss's"?

@davidlammy

This is a mildly interesting topic, but hardly on a par with Marie Antoinette' discovery of radium.
    Let them eat yellowcake.
    Eabhal said:

It took place on a golf course.

Do we know that @Dura_Ace is safe and at liberty?

(It may have been a mistake of course. Trump may have been trying to shoot below 200 for once and got frustrated.)
    edited September 15
    viewcode said:

Roger said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Total drivel.

It’s sad, but the Lib Dems seem to have mutated from a gang of liberal policy wonks to somethin akin to a Waitrose users group.

Presume the Liberal Democrat magazine now comes with recipe ideas sponsored by Charlie Bigham.

Anything you want to complain about specifically or are you just having a Sunday afternoon whinge?
    I just told you. Davey came across well-meaning but having no actual conception of challenges faced by the country.

As I wrote this I thought to myself, the Lib Dems are now the sort of party that supports the WASPI women cause.

Not serious.
    The weird thing is, the LDs had an open goal and an obvious role: become the Rejoin Now party

They should have been the Remainer version of the SNP. Make Rejoin their one big profound policy, their raison d’etre

In a weird volatile election, with lots of Remainers looking warily (and with justification) at Starmer, that could have been explosive. But no
    No, wasting time and effort on "Rejoining" is an elephant trap of epic proportions.

The first problem is we have no idea under what terms the EU would consider the UK (re)joining. Would we have to accept the Euro and Schengen for example? I'm sure plenty would object to that.

Even if the EU offered status quo ante referendum, we'd still have issues over QMV and the rebates.

We had to leave because our half-hearted mean-spirited rebate-obsessed membership wasn't doing either us or the EU any good and we took a democratic vote deciding to leave.

There would also be huge resistance to any attempt to reintroduce Freedom of Movement which I believe is a prerequisite for membership of the Single Market - indeed, it would be a huge gift for Reform if anyone were to try.
    I’m a brexiteer and I would vote Leave again tomorrow (indeed I think events are now beginning to show Leave was the right choice, belatedly)

I’m talking about the raw politics. The Lib Dems had a ginormous open goal in GE 2024. Rejoin could have propelled them to triple digit MPs and who knows what, after that

Instead they are indeed content to be a sad little pressure group as @Gardenwalker says. Waspi and Waitrose
    In fairness, the LibDems achieved their highest MP count since 1923, achieved an improvement in seats from 12 to 72(!) (3 taxis to 18 taxis) and piloted a revolutionary new campaigning technique that I think Harris/Walz are copying. I think they'll be happy with that... :)
    What's the new campaigning technique?
    Avoiding policy questions and positions as much as possible and concentrate on eyecatching cheerful locations/activities to give off a cheerful aspect without all that messy political stuff. I'd call it the Davey technique but I don't know what others do

Here's three examples from Walz
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5DnJVpM9bdk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvsjx5ubUI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S233kqP0ak8
    A take on that I heard was that having established their brand, identity, and policies compared to Chump, they are now moving into doing a personal visit in as many localities as possible in what might be called a process of "Defeat Donald in Detail".
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

It took place on a golf course.

Do we know that @Dura_Ace is safe and at liberty?

(It may have been a mistake of course. Trump may have been trying to shoot below 200 for once and got frustrated.)
    Must have been an assassination attempt because there is no way there would be gunfire in the US yet alone Florida. Unheard of.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,600
    https://x.com/brianstelter/status/1835396176344182896

Breaking from @KristenhCNN and @JohnMillerCNN: "Officials believe the shots fired at Trump International Golf Club were intended for former President Donald Trump, according to sources familiar on the matter."
  • boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

WTAF

What’s the quid pro quo?

“Careless”???

Whoops! Butter fingers!

Yes, but white tie is ideal for evening events.

I am attending an event soon, and this is the dress code.

Mansion House Banquets — "White Tie (black tie optional)" or "White Tie Preferred"

The preferred dress code at most Mansion House banquets is white tie, national dress or uniform for gentlemen and a long dress or skirt and evening top for ladies. Cocktail dress length does not normally accompany white tie and many ladies enjoy the opportunity to dress to the highest fashion at these special events. Decorations should be worn, usually miniatures; this will usually be specified in the invitation.

White tie means a plain white tie, dress shirt with a collar that does not turn down except for two small wings, a white waistcoat, a tailcoat and dress trousers. It is perfectly acceptable for liverymen and guests without white tie to attend in black tie with a white dress shirt and black dinner jacket plus sober waistcoat or cummerbund, and they will not feel out of place in doing so. Liverymen and guests on top table are expected to wear white tie. If you are a host, it is wise to check with your guests (and vice versa) to avoid any sartorial embarrassment.

Mansion House staff reserve the right to refuse admission to anyone wearing a coloured shirt or coloured bow tie.

• Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

More likely, Starmer retires in 2030ish to tepid gratitude for a job adequately done.

In the same way that the next Conservative leader is having to show quite a lot of anti-immigration ankle to get the gig, the next Labour leader will need to provide some Europhile beef to win the internal election.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 268

Where's @williamglenn when balance is required? Surely there's a Rasmussen or Trafalgar poll available with Trump ten points ahead.

FPT.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

So three months in and nobody's talking about how competent Starmer's government is.

Unbelievably Sunak is starting to look good

Now hang on, that's going a bit far.
    Is it ?

I mean for months on PB Starmer was praised for his quiet competence, w were going to have better government etc.

So far we have had a mega lie on £22 billion, the unions are rubbing their hands om inflationary pay increases, Miliband is merrily screwing up energy and killiing 100000+ jobs in the North Sea, , WFA fiasco, riots, growth at a stand still for the last 2 months and big tax rises on the horizon.

And all of that in 10 week as just today the sleaze accusations start to circle round Starmer.

It is permissible to think Starmer is no good after several weeks of mistakes.

It is hardly permissible to say Sunak after two years of extraordinary bungling where he got practically every major decision wrong looks good by comparison.
    FWIW I believe the WFA issue is a massive misstep, and one Starmer and Reeves appear to be disinclined to walk back from, which is bizarre.

Most of the other criticisms on here and in the Tory client media, that the haven't stopped the boats because they jettisoned the "fantastic" Rwanda plan, although flights of failed asylum seekers have left the country to no fanfare. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cpe388jy2n3o.amp The accusation that Reeves has squandered the "golden legacy" and they have lost control over the NHS and prison management which was in Trumpian terms "great" under the Tories is all nonsense. The remaining Jenrick-smoothing Tories on here seem to believe if they can talk up a Starmer failure their boy is a shoo in in 2029. Of course Labour probably will be useless, and after ten weeks we have little evidence bto suggest otherwise, but will the Conservatives romp home unopposed in five years time? Our faithful friends on here, on the BBC and in the Telegraph don't seem to have twigged just how despised the Johnson and post- Johnson Tories are.

As to Mrs Starmer's clothing gift, whilst unwise, it's not (yet) on the scale of Lulu Lytle's wallpaper, the PPE fast lane scandal and of course Robert Jenrick's outrageous planning intervention on behalf of the pornographer and Tory donor Richard Desmond.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/robert-jenrick-richard-desmond-housing-tory-donor-westferry-a9631876.html
    Or the £800k line of credit, it is more on a par with the Bamford's supply of Daylesford hampers to the backdoor of No. 10. Jenrick just showed himself up as not only corrupt, but incredibly cheap to corrupt.

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

WTAF

What’s the quid pro quo?

“Careless”???

Whoops! Butter fingers!

Mansion House Banquets — "White Tie (black tie optional)" or "White Tie Preferred"

The preferred dress code at most Mansion House banquets is white tie, national dress or uniform for gentlemen and a long dress or skirt and evening top for ladies. Cocktail dress length does not normally accompany white tie and many ladies enjoy the opportunity to dress to the highest fashion at these special events. Decorations should be worn, usually miniatures; this will usually be specified in the invitation.

White tie means a plain white tie, dress shirt with a collar that does not turn down except for two small wings, a white waistcoat, a tailcoat and dress trousers. It is perfectly acceptable for liverymen and guests without white tie to attend in black tie with a white dress shirt and black dinner jacket plus sober waistcoat or cummerbund, and they will not feel out of place in doing so. Liverymen and guests on top table are expected to wear white tie. If you are a host, it is wise to check with your guests (and vice versa) to avoid any sartorial embarrassment.

Mansion House staff reserve the right to refuse admission to anyone wearing a coloured shirt or coloured bow tie.

Bit worrying that the guest list needs to be told what constitutes “white tie”. Society’s gone.
  • Eabhal said:

Here's 35 tiny violins:

🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻 🎻 🎻🎻🎻 🎻
    Fine but expect rents to rise

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

WTAF

What’s the quid pro quo?

“Careless”???

Whoops! Butter fingers!

As a proper conservative I would wear a morning coat and explain when challenged that I was in permanent morning for Lady Thatcher.
    mercator said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

WTAF

What’s the quid pro quo?

“Careless”???

Whoops! Butter fingers!

Indeed
    Morning suits are rubbish. Morning coat and spongebag trousers, like the guy on the right.
    A couple of threads about the bollocks talked about threads.

https://x.com/dieworkwear/status/1835286707169873957

A Brief History of Nobody Dresses Well Anymore
    https://x.com/paulisci/status/1821308647760409086

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,726

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

More likely, Starmer retires in 2030ish to tepid gratitude for a job adequately done.

In the same way that the next Conservative leader is having to show quite a lot of anti-immigration ankle to get the gig, the next Labour leader will need to provide some Europhile beef to win the internal election.
    Yes, I think so too. The Ming vase strategy became obsolete on July 5th. Next GE will be different, and I agree that a switch in Labour leader is likely.
  • boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

WTAF

What’s the quid pro quo?

“Careless”???

Whoops! Butter fingers!

Bit worrying that the guest list needs to be told what constitutes “white tie”. Society’s gone.
    As a working class lad I find these instructions useful so I don't make any faux pas at these events.
  • To those interested in railways

North Wales has some of Europe's most 'beautiful' train journeys, survey finds

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-europes-most-beautiful-29927706#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
    edited September 15
    mercator said:

Foxy said:

Nah, he will buy the First Lady some fancy knickers and an exemption applying to his case will coincidentally crop up in the budget. You have a lot to learn about life in a banana republic.
    Appearance of corruption was Robert Jenrick I think.

In personal communication with Richard Desmond re: a planning decision, then used his Housing Minister position to approve the Planning Permission on Westferry, which would have helped Desmond avoid £45m in tax - payable to Tower Hamlets if it had been approved one day later.

Then 2 weeks later accepted a donation from Desmond of £12k.

I'd be interested to know the outcome re whether the action was lawful given the communication.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/24/robert-jenrick-planning-row-the-key-questions-answered

It was unlawful. Essentially Jenrick abused his authority and displayed "apparent bias".

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/18/westferry-property-scheme-ditched-after-minister-rejects-appeal-robert-jenrick-richard-desmond

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/nov/25/tory-donor-richard-desmond-revives-controversial-east-london-housing-development

If they elect him, they deserve everything they get.

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

WTAF

What’s the quid pro quo?

“Careless”???

Whoops! Butter fingers!

As a working class lad I find these instructions useful so I don't make any faux pas at these events.
    Just stay in and wash your hair vs attending events with "guests without white tie", there's no knowing what you might catch from them.
    edited September 15

To those interested in railways

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-europes-most-beautiful-29927706#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare

I'm genuinely startled by that second one.

I lived in Aber for 7 years and have travelled the Vale of Rheidol many times, but fond though I am of it it's not *that* scenic.

I'd put it behind the Talyllyn, the Cambrian Coastline, the Conwy Valley, the Central Wales and the Welsh Highland.
    MattW said:

mercator said:

Foxy said:

In personal communication with Richard Desmond re: a planning decision, then used his Housing Minister position to approve the Planning Permission on Westferry, which would have helped Desmond avoid £45m in tax - payable to Tower Hamlets if it had been approved one day later.

I'd be interested to know the outcome re whether the action was lawful given the communication.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/24/robert-jenrick-planning-row-the-key-questions-answered

It was unlawful. Essentially Jenrick abused his authority and displayed "apparent bias".

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/18/westferry-property-scheme-ditched-after-minister-rejects-appeal-robert-jenrick-richard-desmond

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/nov/25/tory-donor-richard-desmond-revives-controversial-east-london-housing-development

They will get nothing.

Which, if 'nothing=oblivion' will definitely be what they deserve.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 268

boulay said:

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Total drivel.

Not serious.

We were never honest as to why we wanted to join in the first place. Because of that our membership was always false, incomplete, unsatisfying.

Why did we want to join ? Well the Empire was finished but of course we had superb management experience, in our own eyes. This European thing was all very well but well, Johnny Foreigner had had a century and a half to sort things out since 1815 and what had he done, 2 1/2 world wars and the possibility of another. The truth is we ASSUMED that if we joined the Common Market we would not just be primus inter pares, but like the Empire, we alone would be the leader. To some extent they even played up to that my making Henry Plumb first elected leader of the European Parliament.

The saddest part of it is sometimes the Rejoiners STILL think they would let us lead if we went back. Sorry lads, ain't gonna happen.
    Other way round. Britain sought salvation, and Europe feared we would take over. In the 1950s and 60s the Establishment saw Britain as in terminal decline, and viewed entry to the Common Market as our last hope, only for us to be denied repeatedly, until Ted Heath finally got us in.
    What ‘got us in’ was the death of Charles de Gaulle.
    I've never quite understood why he disliked us so, given all the help we gave him personally. (Open to biography suggestions - in English)
    Because he was a vain, arrogant nationalist fucker who never got over the humiliation of France's defeat and Britain's survival.

Ted Heath's longest fit of pique had nothing on De Gaulle.

Still, at least he didn't collaborate.
    Didn't deGaulle take umbrage at being snubbed by Churchill?
    He was rightly snubbed as he was an obstructive and vain arsehole. He’s very lucky there was no better French leader to coalesce the free French around. The Americans were also exasperated by his posturing and positioning.
    There is a lovely anecdote about Churchill insisting that on his death, after the funeral ceremony, his coffin should be taken on its journey to Blenheim by train from Waterloo. This was to ensure that de Gaulle and his French entourage would have to pass through the station named after the battle of 1815 where Napoleon got second prize.
    Lovely stuff, although being a pedant Waterloo station isn’t named after the Battle but after Waterloo Bridge, so it works as cocking a snook. Also Blenheim is named after the battle of Blenheim where we also joined a few euro mates to slap the French which is nice.
    Blenheim Palace is a magnificent testimony to some of the most egotistical people to have ever lived.

Imagine building a place where you have a state room with a tapestry covering a vast wall - showing yourself winning battle. You move to the next state room with a giant tapestry showing you winning another battle…. You proceed thus to the front of your house to look up a driveway to a triumphal column dedicated to yourself…

It makes the Kardassians appear entirely uninterested in themselves….
    And it's eye wateringly expensive!
    MattW said:

mercator said:

Foxy said:

For sure Jenrick is horrific. But "less corrupt than Robert Jenrick" doesn't sell a PM to me any more than "less paedophilic than Jimmy Savile" sells a babysitter.
  • Dopermean said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Total drivel.

Not serious.

We were never honest as to why we wanted to join in the first place. Because of that our membership was always false, incomplete, unsatisfying.

Why did we want to join ? Well the Empire was finished but of course we had superb management experience, in our own eyes. This European thing was all very well but well, Johnny Foreigner had had a century and a half to sort things out since 1815 and what had he done, 2 1/2 world wars and the possibility of another. The truth is we ASSUMED that if we joined the Common Market we would not just be primus inter pares, but like the Empire, we alone would be the leader. To some extent they even played up to that my making Henry Plumb first elected leader of the European Parliament.

The saddest part of it is sometimes the Rejoiners STILL think they would let us lead if we went back. Sorry lads, ain't gonna happen.
    Other way round. Britain sought salvation, and Europe feared we would take over. In the 1950s and 60s the Establishment saw Britain as in terminal decline, and viewed entry to the Common Market as our last hope, only for us to be denied repeatedly, until Ted Heath finally got us in.
    What ‘got us in’ was the death of Charles de Gaulle.
    I've never quite understood why he disliked us so, given all the help we gave him personally. (Open to biography suggestions - in English)
    Because he was a vain, arrogant nationalist fucker who never got over the humiliation of France's defeat and Britain's survival.

Ted Heath's longest fit of pique had nothing on De Gaulle.

Still, at least he didn't collaborate.
    Didn't deGaulle take umbrage at being snubbed by Churchill?
    He was rightly snubbed as he was an obstructive and vain arsehole. He’s very lucky there was no better French leader to coalesce the free French around. The Americans were also exasperated by his posturing and positioning.
    There is a lovely anecdote about Churchill insisting that on his death, after the funeral ceremony, his coffin should be taken on its journey to Blenheim by train from Waterloo. This was to ensure that de Gaulle and his French entourage would have to pass through the station named after the battle of 1815 where Napoleon got second prize.
    Lovely stuff, although being a pedant Waterloo station isn’t named after the Battle but after Waterloo Bridge, so it works as cocking a snook. Also Blenheim is named after the battle of Blenheim where we also joined a few euro mates to slap the French which is nice.
    Blenheim Palace is a magnificent testimony to some of the most egotistical people to have ever lived.

Imagine building a place where you have a state room with a tapestry covering a vast wall - showing yourself winning battle. You move to the next state room with a giant tapestry showing you winning another battle…. You proceed thus to the front of your house to look up a driveway to a triumphal column dedicated to yourself…

It makes the Kardassians appear entirely uninterested in themselves….
    And it's eye wateringly expensive!
    The current Duke is a worthy successor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Spencer-Churchill,_12th_Duke_of_Marlborough
  • mercator said:

MattW said:

mercator said:

Foxy said:

For sure Jenrick is horrific. But "less corrupt than Robert Jenrick" doesn't sell a PM to me any more than "less paedophilic than Jimmy Savile" sells a babysitter.
    Though if the choice is either/or (and it probably will be), it really should do.
  • ydoethur said:

To those interested in railways

I'm genuinely startled by that second one.

I lived in Aber for 7 years and have travelled the Vale of Rheidol many times, but fond though I am of it it's not *that* scenic.

I'd put it behind the Talyllyn, the Cambrian Coastline, the Conwy Valley, the Central Wales and the Welsh Highland.
    We intend doing it next year, but we did do the Welsh Highland from Caernarfon to Porthmadog and it is a wonderful day out with stunnung scenery and narrow gauge steam trains
    Season 2 of Pachinko is good.

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

WTAF

What’s the quid pro quo?

“Careless”???

Whoops! Butter fingers!

It’s the sad reality for northerners from random private schools! Turn up in a safari suit - it will show you are so important you can ignore the rules.
  • https://x.com/brianstelter/status/1835396176344182896

Breaking from @KristenhCNN and @JohnMillerCNN: "Officials believe the shots fired at Trump International Golf Club were intended for former President Donald Trump, according to sources familiar on the matter."

Harris's response is LOL: "Violence has no place in America," she wrote.

It's like one of those questions from the King William's Xmas Quiz: "Name ten violent incidents in the history of America".
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,854

Keir is like three Prime Ministers rolled into one!

The personality of May, the integrity of Johnson and the empathy of Truss.

What a time to be alive!

https://x.com/MightyMightyO1/status/1835256707636715948

No wonder people call him a Conservative!
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019

They're going to fire another head of the Secret Service? Talk about a poisoned chalice.
  • Arrogant pro-Trumper on SKY news just now!
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    David Baddiel joins the exodus (TSE would be jealous of that one!).

Who owns the JC? Some shady right wing character in the US apparently.

I suspect this one is going to run.....

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/sep/15/columnists-quit-jewish-chronicle-gaza-conflict-stories
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited September 15

Eabhal said:

Here's 35 tiny violins:

It's a shame that all that good quality post war council house stock was sold for a song under "the right to buy" scheme, some of which was returned to private rental sector Rachmanesque landlords. Oh well!

Ooh, another ten point polling boost on its way. Huzzah!

Donald Trump should be nowhere near gunfire, what with his heel spurs.

Eabhal said:

Here's 35 tiny violins:

It's a shame that all that good quality post war council house stock was sold for a song under "the right to buy" scheme, some of which was returned to private rental sector Rachmanesque landlords. Oh well!
    Didn't Angela Rayner profit under this scheme
    I’m now on a school bus with loads of whooping and happy Canucks heading to the 14th annual Okanagan “Feast of Fields” food, beer and wine festival

I have the strangest job

Terrible and rude individual
    edited September 15

Arrogant pro-Trumper on SKY news just now!

Are there any modest Trumpers?

Eabhal said:

Here's 35 tiny violins:

Didn't Angela Rayner profit under this scheme
    And she quite rightly took the flak from the left (and the Conservatives for her hypocrisy) that she richly deserved.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,449

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    26m
    Monday’s FINANCIAL Times: “Harris maintains post-debate lead over Trump on economy, says poll” #TomorrowsPapersToday

I find Sunil rather amiable.

Ooh, another ten point polling boost on its way. Huzzah!

Donald Trump should be nowhere near gunfire, what with his heel spurs.
    My Vance next potus bet would be 4 figures up if this had turned out different. Learn to shoot straight, peeps.
    Leon said:

I’m now on a school bus with loads of whooping and happy Canucks

I'm strangely reminded of the original Dirty Harry film
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,415
    edited September 15
    Nigelb said:

mercator said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

WTAF

What’s the quid pro quo?

“Careless”???

Whoops! Butter fingers!

Indeed
    A couple of threads about the bollocks talked about threads.

https://x.com/dieworkwear/status/1835286707169873957

A Brief History of Nobody Dresses Well Anymore
    https://x.com/paulisci/status/1821308647760409086

I agree. It’s been downhill since appearing in the Forum with a gang of bullies to massacre the plebs *without a proper toga* became acceptable.

I mean, any Greek freedman could massacre plebs in a tunic. Takes a Roman of nobility to slaughter in a Proper Toga.

I find Sunil rather amiable.
    If you had heard the obnoxious Pro Trump individual you would not joke about it
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,902
    Can people stop shooting at Trump . We’re now going to get a week of the orange psycho channeling his no surrender routine .
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,351
    "Boris Johnson destroyed the Conservative party - and the Tory leadership election proves it
    The Strange Death of Tory England (cont)
    NICK COHEN

Boris Johnson wrote a novel in 2004 called Seventy-Two Virgins – I swear I am not making this up. It was awful. The skills you need to knock out a 1000-word column for a right-wing paper are entirely different from the discipline required to pull off an entire book or, indeed, govern an entire country. Johnson was only ever good for the one liner and the easy laugh. He entertained Conservative readers by deploying a basic literary skill and by playing to their prejudices."

https://nickcohen.substack.com/p/boris-johnson-destroyed-the-conservative
    Leon said:

I’m now on a school bus with loads of whooping and happy Canucks heading to the 14th annual Okanagan “Feast of Fields” food, beer and wine festival

I have the strangest job

Sounds dangerously woke to me looking at their website.

Are you deep in enemy territory for this assignment?
    edited September 15

Is that the blond lady who is blaming Harris?

Sky are making it sound like it was a successful attempt.

It's America, when I was staying in Hell's Kitchen there were gunshots in the vicinity every night

No - it was a male republican who, frankly, was disgracefully rude to Gillian Joseph of Sky
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,056

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

WTAF

What’s the quid pro quo?

“Careless”???

Whoops! Butter fingers!

Perhaps the world divides very precisely into two at the thought of this. Pride and Delight v Horrendous Nightmare.

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    26m
    Monday’s FINANCIAL Times: “Harris maintains post-debate lead over Trump on economy, says poll” #TomorrowsPapersToday

But WSJ yesterday says "Makes good decisions about economic policy - Trump 55 Harris 45"

https://www.wsj.com/politics/elections/harris-is-still-struggling-to-blunt-trumps-edge-on-the-economy-ddc71a36

US polling is a mystery to me.
  • nico679 said:

Can people stop shooting at Trump . We’re now going to get a week of the orange psycho channeling his no surrender routine .

He is going to use this, even though it looks unconnected, but the election is only just over 8 weeks away so not much longer to wait for Harris to win POTUS
    nico679 said:

Yes, the Harris debate polling bounce will be stopped in its tracks. Handy that!

No - it was a male republican who, frankly, was disgracefully rude to Gillian Joseph of Sky
    Not JD Vance ?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,000
    edited September 15
    FBI quoted just now that Trump was subject to an apparent assassination attempt

This is not good news if true

nico679 said:

He is going to use this, even though it looks unconnected, but the election is only just over 8 weeks away so not much longer to wait for Harris to win POTUS
    She's not going to win. Trump wins the College.
  • Nigelb said:

Not JD Vance ?
    No
    edited September 15
    The story Vance doesn't want you to hear about towns like Springfield, Ohio
    https://immasmartypants.blogspot.com/2024/09/the-story-vance-doesnt-want-you-hear.html?spref=tw
    … Almost all of these accounts describe the challenges these communities faced in light of the demographic changes they were experiencing. But what is true in every single case is that, prior to the influx of immigrants, these towns were dying. Now, if they can rise above the racism, they have a chance to flourish.

That is the story David DeWitt tells about Springfield, Ohio.

The Times details how, after decades of shrinking and uncertainty, Springfield was able to attract new manufacturing and business with a strategic plan, and by 2020 had drawn in food-service firms, logistics companies, and a microchip maker, among others...

So what, in fact, do we have going on here?

We have a large population increase over a short period of time; we have a language barrier that can cause various strains; we have housing, schooling, and health services that need adequate resources to deal with a massive and rapid adjustment.

We also have an eager, dutiful, law-abiding, and peaceful workforce helping revitalize a city and helping local businesses thrive; we have a city’s population swelling instead of declining; we have an influx of new taxpayers and consumers filling blue-collar jobs, paying property taxes, shopping at local stores, and contributing to their community.

Are there struggles? Absolutely.

Is it chaos and terror? Absolutely not.
    Let's first of all note that what is happening in all of these small towns started long before the Biden/Harris administration. There is a long history to these dynamics that Trump/Vance want to ignore. That's because they are more interested in fanning the flames of racism and inciting terror in towns like Springfield than they are in finding solutions to help them flourish.

The truth is that small town America needs immigrants.

Now run and tell that.

edited September 15

Eabhal said:

Here's 35 tiny violins:

Much of the demand for rental properties comes from young people with tens of thousands of savings but who are out-competed by BTL landlords and cash buyers when attempting to buy their own home.

I was one of them. It took an enormous bung from my parents to get on the ladder - for the years I was renting, a very large chunk of my salary went on paying off someone else's mortgage. Now I have my own.

If landlords flee the market and leave housing available for first time buyers, demand for rental properties will fall as much as supply.
  • Suspect arrested
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,340
    edited September 15
    We're now getting reports that the suspect was in the tree line, armed with an AK-47 rifle, according to the BBC's US partner CBS News.

Multiple law enforcement officials have told the broadcaster that the armed suspect was spotted on the edge of the golf course by a member of Donald Trump's US Secret Service's advance team, two holes ahead from where the president was golfing.

The suspect reportedly fled the scene after he was engaged by Secret Service agent with multiple gunshots, and the suspect jumped into a car.

---

Sounds like the Secret Service missed.....not exactly enhancing their reputation.
  • Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Here's 35 tiny violins:

Much of the demand for rental properties comes from young people with tens of thousands of savings but who are out-competed by BTL landlords and cash buyers when attempting to buy their own home.

I was one of them. It took an enormous bung from my parents to get on the ladder - for the years I was renting, a very large chunk of my salary went on paying off someone else's mortgage. Now I have my own.

If landlords flee the market and leave housing available for first time buyers, demand for rental properties will fall as much as supply.
    I think your last sentence is naive

FBI quoted just now that Trump was subject to an apparent assination attempt

From what I can see from Sky it's like shooting through the gates of Downing Street and suggesting it was an assassination attempt on Starmer whilst Starmer is partying in the Rose Garden.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,351

Name of?

Leon said:

I have the strangest job

It’s superb

It’s on a sun-drenched vine-green hillside overlooking the lake - like Norway meets Provence with a dash of Switzerland - and I’m being paid to eat and drink superb tucker and ace wine after having just done the world’s second greatest cycle trail

Sometimes I wonder why I bother doing this job. Getting paid to travel the world in enormous luxury. Who would willingly do that? But perfect days like this remind me why
    Dayton went from 250,000 people in 1960 to 135,000 people today. In 2011 they became the first certified "Welcoming City" in the country, inviting immigrants to settle there, in hopes of reversing the decline. And by all accounts it's working.
    https://x.com/TVHilton/status/1835402361050943626
  • FBI quoted just now that Trump was subject to an apparent assination attempt

From what I can see from Sky it's like shooting through the gates of Downing Street and suggesting it was an assassination attempt on Starmer whilst Starmer is partying in the Rose Garden.
    You can be flippant as you like but maybe listen to the news conferences live on Sky now
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

I have the strangest job

It’s superb

It’s on a sun-drenched vine-green hillside overlooking the lake - like Norway meets Provence with a dash of Switzerland - and I’m being paid to eat and drink superb tucker and ace wine after having just done the world’s second greatest cycle trail

Sometimes I wonder why I bother doing this job. Getting paid to travel the world in enormous luxury. Who would willingly do that? But perfect days like this remind me why
    I did say the Okanagan Valley was worth a visit :-)
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

I have the strangest job

It’s superb

I did say the Okanagan Valley was worth a visit :-)
    It is

nico679 said:

Yes, the Harris debate polling bounce will be stopped in its tracks. Handy that!
    Is it weird to be highly suspicious of this "incident"?

Given he is desperate for a poll boost.

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Here's 35 tiny violins:

Why?

The Conservatives oversaw a form of neo-feudalism, with a significant rise in people who own their homes outright (including 70% of pensioners), landlords, and people who live in private rentals.

A massive transfer or wealth to the wealthy. Do you really think all of the 37% of households who rent actually want to? The Conservatives used to be the party of homeownership.
  • Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Here's 35 tiny violins:

Why?

The Conservatives oversaw a form of neo-feudalism, with a significant rise in people who own their homes outright (including 70% of pensioners), landlords, and people who live in private rentals.

A massive transfer or wealth to the wealthy. Do you really think all of the 37% of households who rent actually want to? The Conservatives used to be the party of homeownership.
    Of course they do but that can only happen with a huge increase in supply
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I have the strangest job

It’s superb

I don't know why you bother doing it either.

You could be back in London staring at slate grey skies.
  • Apparently the suspect was one or two holes behind Trump at approx 300 to 500 yards

We're now getting reports that the suspect was in the tree line, armed with an AK-47 rifle, according to the BBC's US partner CBS News.

Multiple law enforcement officials have told the broadcaster that the armed suspect was spotted on the edge of the golf course by a member of Donald Trump's US Secret Service's advance team, two holes ahead from where the president was golfing.

The suspect reportedly fled the scene after he was engaged by Secret Service agent with multiple gunshots, and the suspect jumped into a car.

---

Sounds like the Secret Service missed.....not exactly enhancing their reputation.

Sounds like they did their job.

FBI quoted just now that Trump was subject to an apparent assination attempt

You can be flippant as you like but maybe listen to the news conferences live on Sky now
    Colour me sceptical. This is Trump theatre. He "will never surrender".