Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Harris is the favourite again – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited August 26 in General
imageHarris is the favourite again – politicalbetting.com

HOLY CRAP!I think Kamala Harris just PROSECUTED Trump live on Television. pic.twitter.com/x1hrttlBqf

Read the full story here

Comments

• StereodogStereodog Posts: 570
    Gosh. First like Kamala?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,553
    What happened to those riots we were promised at the convention?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    Stereodog said:

Gosh. First like Kamala?

Let sleeping dogs lie. Us early worms are there ahead of you.
    Good Lord, I've just seen Trump's social media posts from last night.

https://x.com/JakeLahut/status/1826818774781018322
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    Stereodog said:

Gosh. First like Kamala?

Well, hopefully she won't come first like that!
    It's mildly amusing to reflect that Trump said on 6th Jan 'I hope Mike Pence stands up and does his duty to our constitution and our country.'

And he did!

And Trump had a further meltdown over it.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,219
    DavidL said:

That recording of Jan 6th is indeed brutal. But it is not new. How can anyone support Trump after that, let alone nearly 45% of Americans?

I genuinely find it bewildering. How can any elected official of any part of the party think this is ok?

Many Americans see a very different picture of events, they’re fed a stream of propaganda on Fox News etc. They see a different reality, they’re told lies. They’re in a Facebook bubble where they believe that Harris slept her way to the top, lies about her ethnicity and her family, and is a communist. They’ve absorbed a message that the country is in a crisis because of immigrants and anyone who isn’t white.

These beliefs don’t spontaneously emerge. They are rehearsed, over and over again, by traditional and social media on the right.
    ydoethur said:

It's mildly amusing to reflect that Trump said on 6th Jan 'I hope Mike Pence stands up and does his duty to our constitution and our country.'

And he did!

And Trump had a further meltdown over it.

I wonder if that will be the October surprise?

Pence endorsing Harris.

I hope W endorses Harris too and Texas goes Dem again.

Well a boy can dream.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,109
    Vice President Harris: As a part of his Project 2025 agenda, Trump and his allies would limit access to birth control, ban medication abortion, and enact a nationwide abortion ban. Simply put, they are out of their minds
    https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1826818501165633806
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

DavidL said:

That recording of Jan 6th is indeed brutal. But it is not new. How can anyone support Trump after that, let alone nearly 45% of Americans?

I genuinely find it bewildering. How can any elected official of any part of the party think this is ok?

Many Americans see a very different picture of events, they’re fed a stream of propaganda on Fox News etc. They see a different reality, they’re told lies. They’re in a Facebook bubble where they believe that Harris slept her way to the top, lies about her ethnicity and her family, and is a communist. They’ve absorbed a message that the country is in a crisis because of immigrants and anyone who isn’t white.

These beliefs don’t spontaneously emerge. They are rehearsed, over and over again, by traditional and social media on the right.
    It doesn't take much time (3-6 months say) for complete bullshit to become facts if all you hear is the complete bullshit all the time.

And these people have only heard complete bullshit for the past 8 years...
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    DavidL said:

It is genuinely astonishing.

DavidL said:

It's why we should close down GB News.

Prevention is better than cure.
    Well, I'm sure those five or six people watching it might be swayed into nonsensical conspiracy theories where Rees-Mogg is intelligent and Truss is sane, but I'm not really sure that's not going to make much difference to our country as a whole.

Fox News is dangerous because it has reach. GB News does not.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708

Vice President Harris: As a part of his Project 2025 agenda, Trump and his allies would limit access to birth control, ban medication abortion, and enact a nationwide abortion ban. Simply put, they are out of their minds

Is this true? I thought Trump was just letting the states do their own thing.

See https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/08/22/project-2025-would-recast-hhs-federal-department-life/

For instance, federal approval for one commonly used abortion drug could be withdrawn.

And if the drug isn't legal in the USA a state wouldn't be able to use it..
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708

DavidL said:

What calumnies are you alleging GBNews have been guilty of?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,762

DavidL said:

Also, pre-moderation for all twitter/x posts.
    edited August 23

Project 2025 has a different approach:

Project 2025 wouldn’t ban abortion outright, but would curtail access

The Harris campaign shared a graphic on X that claimed “Trump’s Project 2025 plan for workers” would “go after birth control and ban abortion nationwide.”

The plan doesn’t call to ban abortion nationwide, though its recommendations could curtail some contraceptives and limit abortion access.

What’s known about Trump’s abortion agenda neither lines up with Harris’ description nor Project 2025’s wish list.

Project 2025 says the Department of Health and Human Services Department should “return to being known as the Department of Life by explicitly rejecting the notion that abortion is health care..."

The plan proposes withholding federal money from states that don’t report to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention how many abortions take place within their borders. The plan also would prohibit abortion providers, such as Planned Parenthood, from receiving Medicaid funds. It also calls for the Department of Health and Human Services to ensure that the training of medical professionals, including doctors and nurses, omits abortion training.

The document says some forms of emergency contraception — particularly Ella, a pill that can be taken within five days of unprotected sex to prevent pregnancy — should be excluded from no-cost coverage. The Affordable Care Act requires most private health insurers to cover recommended preventive services, which involves a range of birth control methods, including emergency contraception.

Trump has recently said states should decide abortion regulations and that he wouldn’t block access to contraceptives. Trump said during his June 27 debate with Biden that he wouldn’t ban mifepristone after the Supreme Court “approved” it. But the court rejected the lawsuit based on standing, not the case’s merits. He has not weighed in on the Comstock Act or said whether he supports it being used to block abortion medication, or other kinds of abortions.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/fact-checking-warnings-from-democrats-about-project-2025-and-donald-trump

This would in practice probably make abortions illegal because the medical providers wouldn't be able to survive financially given the labyrinthine nature of US healthcare financing, leaving only backstreet abortionists. Is that a ban? No. Is it a distinction without a difference? I would say so.

Is this Trump's agenda? Not officially. He has, in fact, verbally tried to distance himself from it.

But, it was written in co-operation with JD Vance whom Trump tapped up as his running mate *after* it was published.

It is reasonable, especially with a notorious and fluent liar like Trump, to consider his actions not his words. If he is saying that he doesn't agree with Project 2025 and yet giving prominent positions to those who support it, we should take seriously the possibility that it will be implemented regardless of what he says.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    ydoethur said:

It is reasonable, especially with a notorious and fluent liar like Trump, to consider his actions not his words.

Indeed

His latest speech "America does not have a gun problem", delivered behind bulletproof glass...
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,109

Project 2025 runs to 900 pages without an index, if you want to check, although Trump has attempted to distance himself from it.

DavidL said:

Spreading antivax bollocks for starters such as

GB News broke Ofcom rules with presenter’s Covid vaccine claims

Regulator says Mark Steyn’s use of data to draw misleading conclusions breached content guidelines

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/06/gb-news-broke-ofcom-rules-presenter-covid-vaccine-claims-mark-steyn

and

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/13/gb-news-turbo-cancer-conspiracy-theories-ofcom-bias-anti-vaxxer

Project 2025 runs to 900 pages without an index, if you want to check, although Trump has attempted to distance himself from it.
    Yet appointed a co-author to be Vice President...

Tim Walz: "trust me on this... “When someone takes the time to draw up a playbook, they’re going to use it.”
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,706

DavidL said:

Regulator says Mark Steyn’s use of data to draw misleading conclusions breached content guidelines

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/06/gb-news-broke-ofcom-rules-presenter-covid-vaccine-claims-mark-steyn

and

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/13/gb-news-turbo-cancer-conspiracy-theories-ofcom-bias-anti-vaxxer
    GB News is an entertainment channel for right wing morons and Farage supporters masquerading as a bona fide news channel.

DavidL said:

It is genuinely astonishing.
    Any functioning democracy would have prosecuted Trump for Treason by now. He would be the only person in Guatanomo Bay who deserved to be there.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,781
    Have sent you an email, @TheScreamingEagles .
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    I see BFx has settled on the nomination. Kerching!
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045

What happened to those riots we were promised at the convention?

Oh they happened alright. MSM just used a little AI to make the riots look like cheering crowds

Did he say so ?
    Then it's not true.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    Though Kamala is definitely the least bad option by some way, this exchange shows the uphill struggle they have to persuade (some) voters of this. We are in the age of belief v facts.

https://x.com/craigrozniecki/status/1826641723809808677?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138
    DavidL said:

Tim Walz: "trust me on this... “When someone takes the time to draw up a playbook, they’re going to use it.”
    NEVER listen to an ASSISTANT!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611

Though Kamala is definitely the least bad option by some way, this exchange shows the uphill struggle they have to persuade (some) voters of this. We are in the age of belief v facts.

Indeed anyone can post anything on the internet, and people will lap it up if it reenforces their prejudices against the out-group.

Well it's probably true he's never read it - it's more than a page long, for a start.
    Genius.

JD Vance trying to order doughnuts set to the Veep end credits
    https://x.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1826732351675875636
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,284

https://x.com/craigrozniecki/status/1826641723809808677?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q

Although the inquisitor there seems to beliveve the Inflation Reduction Act caused the fall in inflation so there's dumb on both sides...
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    edited August 23

Indeed anyone can post anything on the internet, and people will lap it up if it reenforces their prejudices against the out-group.
    Speaking from experience, William? :smile:
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    edited August 23

You can avoid the tendency by not having an out-group and being one with humanity, even Trump supporters. :smile:
    Foxy said:

I see BFx has settled on the nomination. Kerching!

Quite prompt, by their standards.

If they didn't have a virtual monopoly nobody would use them.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,065

You can avoid the tendency by not having an out-group and being one with humanity, even Trump supporters. :smile:
    I try not to be one with humanity. It gets messy and you can't get the stains off the couch.
    Dopermean said:

DavidL said:

and

GB News is an entertainment channel for right wing morons and Farage supporters masquerading as a bona fide news channel.
    GB news is a propaganda tool funded by Marshall and Legatum to push their agenda. It's purpose is to create "talking points" that the more credible right wing news outlets can then report on dragging all the other news organisations into discussing these "talking points". If you gave Frank Luntz some truth serum he'd explain it all.
    ..or there's that..

:smiley:
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045
    I wonder if RFK Jr will actually endorse Trump. It would trash RFK's brand, so he'd need to believe:
    a) that Trump will win
    b) that Trump will give him an important job

anyway here is his latest video, telling lies about JFK:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1048373192794047

"he kept us out of Vietnam... a month before he died he signed national security order 263 ordering all the troops home from Vietnam and 30 days later he was murdered" He even has order 263 on the screen so you can read it ordering the withdrawal of 1000 US military personnel (there were over 16000 in Vietnam at the time - sent there by Kennedy).

Later in the video he criticises Trump for promising in 2016 to release all the documents about JFK's assassination and then changing his mind when he became president. I'm not sure that's someone about to endorse Trump.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,524
    FPT:
    Good morning, everyone.

Rather relieved. Halfway through a 'do not turn off your computer' update, the power went out. Just came back now, I think everything's ok. Was worried my desktop, which I've only had a few months, might've become a brick.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    I note Ed Miliband has described the energy price increase as "deeply worrying". If only there was someone who could do something about it.
    Mr. Pulpstar, luckily for Miliband, May foolishly copied his price cap nonsense. [I know you know this, but it's worth mentioning for anyone who was unaware].
    carnforth said:

Although the inquisitor there seems to beliveve the Inflation Reduction Act caused the fall in inflation so there's dumb on both sides...
    As a reply to 'Kamala did nothing' it seems pretty rational.

DavidL said:

When I click inadvertently on a twitter link nowadays I get a request for my age before it will let me go further. I won't do this, so I have to live my life without Twitter. This has not made it any less happy, and I can recommend it, especially of you don't like giving personal details to a Site with a dubious reputation.

Of course I should be referring to Twitter as X, but I find that difficult because I tend to associate the letter with X ratings which were once used to denote saucy content. Do others react to X in the same way? I must admit that before my de facto ban I used to be startled by the large X that appeared on my screen. It used to make me think momentarily that I had clicked on a porn site by mistake. Imagine my disappointment when I realised it was only Twitter.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    edited August 23
    It’s a mixed picture as to who RFK Jr takes more votes off.

His GE polling has fallen and he’s currently getting between 3% to 5% on average .

He would have been a bigger factor if Biden had remained as the nominee . I doubt Harris or Trump will be losing too much sleep if he remains in the race .

Mr. Punter, the name change is dumb as hell. Not only does Twitter have high recognition it has retweets, and tweets. Nobody sends 'an X'. Nobody 're-Xs.'

Just teasing, William, as I'm sure you appreciate.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,065

Inflation may have fallen but prices have not. What the voters want us for prices to go back down, not to continue rising albeit more slowly. Failure to understand this is a real fault of the political classes
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478

DavidL said:

When I click inadvertently on a twitter link nowadays I get a request for my age before it will let me go further. I won't do this, so I have to live my life without Twitter. This has not made it any less happy, and I can recommend it, especially of you don't like giving personal details to a Site with a dubious reputation.

Of course I should be referring to Twitter as X, but I find that difficult because I tend to associate the letter with X ratings which were once used to denote saucy content. Do others react to X in the same way? I must admit that before my de facto ban I used to be startled by the large X that appeared on my screen. It used to make me think momentarily that I had clicked on a porn site by mistake. Imagine my disappointment when I realised it was only Twitter.
    The other day, Musk did a poll on Twitter on who should be the next US president - Trump or Harris. To his credit, he did say it was 'unscientific'. As might be expected from people following Musk (*), Trump won by a massive margin. Which his brainless fanbois are pushing as a sign that Trump is going to win in November.

My first thought was: this is a great way for Musky Baby and Twitter to get detailed information on how you are going to vote, and therefore the sort of advertisements and misinformation to push your way... ;)

(*) I don't follow him, and try not to interact with his account, but for some reason many of his tweets get pushed my way. I wonder if the algorithm is perfect in this regard... ;)
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    edited August 23
    DavidL said:

That recording of Jan 6th is indeed brutal. But it is not new. How can anyone support Trump after that, let alone nearly 45% of Americans.

Because violence in general, and political violence in particular, are much more socially acceptable in America than here. Americans are brought up on garbage like Thomas Jefferson's "a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical" and Patrick Henry's, "If this be treason, make the most of it", and it isn't very far from admiring those sayings to regarding January 6th as a patriotic act.

And, given 30 years of terrorism in Northern Ireland, we can't be as superior as we'd like.

Recounting a conversation based on the notion that the other party might be persuadable is surely the opposite of putting them in an out-group? Not his fault that the notion was entirely fatuous.
  • I see Wrong-Daily is back in the news, this time for the most absurd and hypocritical bits of NIMBYism imaginable.

According to Wrong Daily increasing the supply of houses in her area by 3300 won't help address the housing shortage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cvgd429gdpno.amp
    viewcode said:

Inflation may have fallen but prices have not. What the voters want us for prices to go back down, not to continue rising albeit more slowly. Failure to understand this is a real fault of the political classes
    That ain't going to happen. Failure to understand that is a real fault of the pleb classes.
    viewcode said:

Prices are not going to go down though? Even I understand that as I stare gloomily at my last bit of Brie de Meaux.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567
    viewcode said:

On one hand, we saw something similar here with Sunak's taming of inflation. Politicians don't, in general, get credit for it.

On the other, getting prices going down, deflation, tends to get out of hand in a really bad way. It would not be desirable.

Once again, voters want something that doesn't really exist. That's not particularly the fault of voters, but it's also not the fault of politicians. If anyone is culpable, it's the minority who try to get ahead by promising the impossible, and the sort of lickspittle media who amplify them.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567

DavidL said:

Though the difference between X and other sites publishing saucy images is increasingly small.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429

DavidL said:

The correct name is Twatter.

https://youtu.be/d3Mrfut-FSw?si=jH2o8sy152zwLxmd
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 270

Dopermean said:

DavidL said:

and

GB news is a propaganda tool funded by Marshall and Legatum to push their agenda. It's purpose is to create "talking points" that the more credible right wing news outlets can then report on dragging all the other news organisations into discussing these "talking points". If you gave Frank Luntz some truth serum he'd explain it all.
    ..or there's that..

:smiley:
    Time will tell, if they continue to fund it over several years despite it making a loss then there must be another benefit for them.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,227
    So I read its all the fault of Fox News that Americans think that inflation is a problem.

Is it also the fault of the BBC that the Britons think that inflation is a problem ?

After all the BBC website has a whole 'Cost of Living' section:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cljev4jz3pjt

Likewise the Guardian has this section:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/cost-of-living-crisis

with this https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/aug/20/half-a-million-children-to-go-hungry-if-1bn-crisis-fund-is-ditched as a recent addition.

Wasn't JD Vance claiming that children are going hungry something that led to outrage among Dem supporters ?

DavidL said:

Though the difference between X and other sites publishing saucy images is increasingly small.
    Twatter is self publishing. That tells you everything.
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

I note Ed Miliband has described the energy price increase as "deeply worrying". If only there was someone who could do something about it.

If only Ed Miliband hadn’t spend the last decade or more saying that high energy costs were the price worth paying to get to ‘net zero’.
    There are surely different levels of "high"?

The average energy bill in 2010 was £450.
    In 2024 it is now rising to £1717.

Saying we should have paid more than £450 in 2010 to protect the environment but that £1717 is now too high is perfectly reasonable and I concur with him.
  • Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

If only Ed Miliband hadn’t spend the last decade or more saying that high energy costs were the price worth paying to get to ‘net zero’.
    He was wrong. High energy costs are the price we are paying for not making the transition more quickly.
    Indeed, in the future we should have bountiful cheap energy and people in the future should look back with bewilderment, you paid how much for fuel?

Slashing the cost of powering homes, factories, automobiles, schools, hospitals and everything else is in everyone's best interests.
    viewcode said:

I try not to be one with humanity. It gets messy and you can't get the stains off the couch.
    With humanity, @viewcode, not with couches. Jeez, why do people find this so hard?
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

With humanity, @viewcode, not with couches. Jeez, why do people find this so hard?
    If Walz wins the Veep debate, will Vance go from fucking a couch to being fucked by a coach?

viewcode said:

Prices are not going to go down though? Even I understand that as I stare gloomily at my last bit of Brie de Meaux.
    Deflation is one of those things that sounds nice in a saloon bar.

Actually experiencing it is another thing. I can't really see people queuing up for falling wages.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    edited August 23

So I read its all the fault of Fox News that Americans think that inflation is a problem.

Is it also the fault of the BBC that the Britons think that inflation is a problem ?

with this https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/aug/20/half-a-million-children-to-go-hungry-if-1bn-crisis-fund-is-ditched as a recent addition.

Wasn't JD Vance claiming that children are going hungry something that led to outrage among Dem supporters ?

Well, if you get people such as Rishi Sunak pretending* that a small drop in inflation rate is going to make everything better for the public after three years of high inflation, I think I know where the problem lies.

*In his much trumpeted claims to the public during, or just before, the election campaign (you'll forgive my memory: all those Tory PMs get increasingly foreshortened with recency, which shouldn't be happening ...)
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

I blame SexEd in schools. After all, maths education produces huge number of people who can't add. English, huge numbers of people who can't write their name. So it seems logical to assume.....
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032

I see Wrong-Daily is back in the news, this time for the most absurd and hypocritical bits of NIMBYism imaginable.

According to Wrong Daily increasing the supply of houses in her area by 3300 won't help address the housing shortage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cvgd429gdpno.amp

I saw that. I know the site quite well, and - well - long story short - pretty much everything she is saying is wrong and imbecilic.

It's basically an edge of central Manchester location. 30 years ago retail park sort of made sense, but it is increasingly surrounded by high-density resi, is walking distance to everywhere and should in no way be a big box retail park. It doesn't need lots of parking. There is a brilliant residential development just to the north of it - Middlewood Locks - and all this site should be doing is echoing Middlewood Locks.
    The woman is a berk.
  • viewcode said:

Actually experiencing it is another thing. I can't really see people queuing up for falling wages.
    Though we've had decades of wages rising less than costs like rent and house prices.

A period of deflation in those costs, with wage rises, would reverse that damage.

There's no reason why some costs can't come down even while wages rise. See electricals as a classic example. Fix the housing market and there's no reason that can't happen there which would make living more affordable for those who have to pay those costs.

Those who make a living from receiving those costs would squeal, but that's competition.

From last year:

David Cameron was famously asked the price of bread a decade ago and struggled to answer, saying instead he used an electric breadmaker. The answer was around 47p.

Then, the Tories were struggling to deal with a cost of living crisis and were accused of being out of touch. Now, here we are again a decade later, with the prime minister Rishi Sunak and his chancellor Jeremy Hunt being accused of having no clue. Only now an average white loaf is £1.37 – and this time it’s not just politicians that are under pressure to do something about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/01/rip-off-britain-cost-of-living-crisis-uk-retail-profits

You can get an 800g sliced loaf for 47p from the supermarkets:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299045558

Which suggests that the Guardian is as confused as any politician as to what the price of bread is.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

He was wrong. High energy costs are the price we are paying for not making the transition more quickly.
    High fossil fuel energy costs are a prerequisite for the renewables to be economic. If oil was $10 a barrel we wouldn’t be building wind farms.

The correct strategy was to have built a whole load more nuclear decades ago. Even the French can be right sometimes.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576
    Carnyx said:

Well, if you get people such as Rishi Sunak pretending* that a small drop in inflation rate is going to make everything better for the public after three years of high inflation, I think I know where the problem lies.

*In his much trumpeted claims to the public during, or just before, the election campaign (you'll forgive my memory: all those Tory PMs get increasingly foreshortened with recency, which shouldn't be happening ...)
    A fall from 11% to 2% is not a small drop. In fact it is a reduction to the BoE’s target rate.

viewcode said:

Though we've had decades of wages rising less than costs like rent and house prices.

A period of deflation in those costs, with wage rises, would reverse that damage.

There's no reason why some costs can't come down even while wages rise. See electricals as a classic example. Fix the housing market and there's no reason that can't happen there which would make living more affordable for those who have to pay those costs.

Those who make a living from receiving those costs would squeal, but that's competition.
    Falling prices together with higher wages requires productivity increases and technological improvements.

The electricals we buy now are not only cheaper but better.

viewcode said:

I monitor the price of Mr. Kipling Battenberg in Tesco cake quite closely - both a tasty snack and a good proxy for food price inflation as a whole - and can confirm that the price HAS gone back down from its 2022 highs.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380

From last year:

David Cameron was famously asked the price of bread a decade ago and struggled to answer, saying instead he used an electric breadmaker. The answer was around 47p.

Then, the Tories were struggling to deal with a cost of living crisis and were accused of being out of touch. Now, here we are again a decade later, with the prime minister Rishi Sunak and his chancellor Jeremy Hunt being accused of having no clue. Only now an average white loaf is £1.37 – and this time it’s not just politicians that are under pressure to do something about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/01/rip-off-britain-cost-of-living-crisis-uk-retail-profits

Which suggests that the Guardian is as confused as any politician as to what the price of bread is.
    On the Tesco loaf, given it was "first baked 1872" I'd expect it to be pretty cheap.
    That is crazy cheap by today's prices.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    edited August 23
    Carnyx said:

It doesn’t matter whether it’s Rishi Sunak or Kamala Harris saying it, the public don’t think in national statistics, they just observe with their own wallets that prices keep going up, and are a lot higher than they were a handful of years ago.
  • viewcode said:

Falling prices together with higher wages requires productivity increases and technological improvements.

The electricals we buy now are not only cheaper but better.
    Indeed.

Remove the requirement for months or years of planning processes, lawyers and lawfare by vested interests and the productivity of the sector would shoot up.

And homes would not be just cheaper but better too. As has been seen in Japan which did this decades ago and prices not only became more affordable but homes became better too as who wants to rent/buy a shithole when there's an affordable alternative available instead?

From last year:

It also suggests that 5 minutes on the internet is beyond them.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

A fall from 11% to 2% is not a small drop. In fact it is a reduction to the BoE’s target rate.
    But you're missing the point that it didn't do anything for people who had been immiserated by the last few years. It's not the rate of increase, but the actual real price, that hits real people in real pockets.

That was an example of absolute exploitation of the different meanings of inflation - prices, rate of increase thereof, and differential thereof ...
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,093
    viewcode said:

As a politician, even if you understand it what can you do with that understanding? Prices aren't going to go down and voters wouldn't like it if you actually engineered deflation, so it's about as practically useful as understanding that lots of voters are nostalgic for the good old days when they were in their twenties. "Tread lightly and wait for peoples' memories of prices to fade a bit" is probably as good as it gets.

Selebian said:

From last year:

On the Tesco loaf, given it was "first baked 1872" I'd expect it to be pretty cheap.
    I reckon my tastes in bread to be a bit daringly top-end - and I'd blanche at paying much more than £1.20. I'm somewhat sceptical of the £1.37 figure.
    Perhaps that's the average of all loaves - because there are some expensive options out there - but I can't believe it's the average of all loaves bought.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,093

From last year:

That'll be the difference between "the average white loaf" and "the absolute cheapest economy loaf available", I expect.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    edited August 23

DavidL said:

and

On GB News, I don't understand how Gloria de Piero is still there. I'm surprised she hasn't jumped ship for somewhere like Times Radio.

Unlike Lee Anderson, she hasn't gone loopy, and still does interesting work.

Her twitter feed is civilised and interesting, as opposed to Anderson's constant dog whistles.
    https://x.com/GloriaDePiero

On GBNews itself, it is owned by Sir Paul Marshall and investment firm Legatum. Paul Marshall also owns Unherd, and is in the running to buy the Spectator and the Telegraph.

https://archive.ph/K4Y0S

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,911
    edited August 23
    Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

High fossil fuel energy costs are a prerequisite for the renewables to be economic. If oil was $10 a barrel we wouldn’t be building wind farms.

The correct strategy was to have built a whole load more nuclear decades ago. Even the French can be right sometimes.
    But oil isn't $10 a barrel. Indeed, the marginal costs of wind and solar make the inverse of your argument more likely. And now that the fixed costs of solar and batteries has fallen so rapidly...

Missing out on nuclear was a big mistake. Let's not make the same one with renewables.

viewcode said:

Falling costs in one sector is one thing. Deflation means an overall, average fall across the whole economy.

Economists from left, right, centre and plain loony all agree that you don't want that.

DavidL said:

I just gave them my usual fake birthday for sites that demand this information but appear to have no legitimate reason for having it.

(I get a lot of happy birthday emails and discounts etc from companies on my 'official' birthday :smiley: )
    edited August 23
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

From last year:

I reckon my tastes in bread to be a bit daringly top-end - and I'd blanche at paying much more than £1.20. I'm somewhat sceptical of the £1.37 figure.
    Perhaps that's the average of all loaves - because there are some expensive options out there - but I can't believe it's the average of all loaves bought.
    A Roberts loaf - which is pretty high end - is 1.35.

Warburton is 1.40.

How many people buy those ahead of own brand?

That average figure of 1.37 is as plausible as Dominic Cummings' excuses for breaking lockdown.

Edit - the only thing I can think of is that it includes artisanal unsliced loaves from high end bakeries. You can pay three quid for a white loaf in a farm shop, if you're especially stupid. But that's not really the way the average should be calculated.
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

X Twitter.
    XX A woman.
    XXX Pornography.
    XXXX A foul Aussie lager.
    Didn't realise you were such a TERF, Pulpstar :wink:
    Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

X Twitter.
    XX A woman.
    XXX Pornography.
    XXXX A foul Aussie lager.
    Didn't realise you were such a TERF, Pulpstar :wink:
    I'm more worried about this tautology in 'foul lager.'
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

But you're missing the point that it didn't do anything for people who had been immiserated by the last few years. It's not the rate of increase, but the actual real price, that hits real people in real pockets.

That was an example of absolute exploitation of the different meanings of inflation - prices, rate of increase thereof, and differential thereof ...
    Inflation has only one meaning, the change in the value of prices. Getting inflation to the target set by the BoE, a large reduction from the peak after the pandemic, is a good thing. Deflation, on the other hand, may not be desirable (see Japan, for e.g.).
This discussion has been closed.