Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How the Tories may deal with two massive elections at the same time and a budget

12346»

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,365
    kamski said:

eek said:

kamski said:

Washington Post (via Seattle Times) - Kamala Harris is among 1 in 8 Americans who have worked at McDonald’s

Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris is emphasizing her middle-class bona fides, and one of the lines she’s coming to rely on in public appearances to make that case is a lesser-known entry on her résumé: former McDonald’s worker.

In an ad that debuted Friday, the Harris campaign highlighted her stint at the Golden Arches. As the camera pans across a set of vintage family photos, the narrator intones: “She grew up in a middle-class home. She was the daughter of a working mom. And she worked at McDonald’s while she got her degree.”

Harris also mentioned the job at Saturday’s rally in Las Vegas, where she told an enthusiastic crowd that “only in America” could two middle-class kids — referring to herself and her running mate, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz — grow up to be on a ballot for the nation’s highest offices. “I had a summer job at McDonald’s,” she said, by way of underscoring her humble background. . . .

. . . . [McDonald's] said it surveyed a representative sample of American adults and found that 13.7% of people said they had worked or currently work for the chain. . . .

Of course, Trump is no stranger to McDonald’s, although his experience is on the other side of the register. . . . Campaign-finance disclosures have shown Trump’s presidential campaign is spending heavily at the chain. He had delivery orders brought in during both his fraud trial in October and his hush-money trial in April. And he famously served Big Macs several times to athletes visiting the White House. . . .

SSI - Can anyone produce ANY evidence, that Donald Trump has ever done a honest day's work in his entire life?'

Don't bet on it!

"only in America" can educated people be so ignorant. Tbf I doubt she believes it herself but her audience laps it up, ridiculous!
    There at least 2 people on here who demonstrate that educated people can be incredibly ignorant
    We are all ignorant about lots of things I suppose. But could Starmer get away with "only in Britain could the son of a toolmaker get to be head of government"? It would be adsurd.

An American friend was visiting and I answered his phone when his mother rang and she was all
    "ooh I love your accent where are you from?"
    "England"
    "where did you learn to speak English?"
    "Um, England"
    "What language do people speak in England?"
    "Err, English"
    On the other hand, there is no ballot for head if state in the UK.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,255
    "Criminology student who threw beer over a police officer and kicked at riot shields during widespread disorder in Liverpool is jailed"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13748201/Criminology-student-threw-beer-police-officer-kicked-riot-shields-widespread-disorder-Liverpool-jailed.html
    The shocking state of classics education in the US.

JD Vance claims that Trump embodies "Semper Fidelis" -- "always faithful" (Trump has cheated on all three of his wives)
    https://x.com/atrupar/status/1824095044334219481
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,016
    Nigelb said:

kamski said:

eek said:

kamski said:

Washington Post (via Seattle Times) - Kamala Harris is among 1 in 8 Americans who have worked at McDonald’s

Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris is emphasizing her middle-class bona fides, and one of the lines she’s coming to rely on in public appearances to make that case is a lesser-known entry on her résumé: former McDonald’s worker.

In an ad that debuted Friday, the Harris campaign highlighted her stint at the Golden Arches. As the camera pans across a set of vintage family photos, the narrator intones: “She grew up in a middle-class home. She was the daughter of a working mom. And she worked at McDonald’s while she got her degree.”

Harris also mentioned the job at Saturday’s rally in Las Vegas, where she told an enthusiastic crowd that “only in America” could two middle-class kids — referring to herself and her running mate, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz — grow up to be on a ballot for the nation’s highest offices. “I had a summer job at McDonald’s,” she said, by way of underscoring her humble background. . . .

. . . . [McDonald's] said it surveyed a representative sample of American adults and found that 13.7% of people said they had worked or currently work for the chain. . . .

Of course, Trump is no stranger to McDonald’s, although his experience is on the other side of the register. . . . Campaign-finance disclosures have shown Trump’s presidential campaign is spending heavily at the chain. He had delivery orders brought in during both his fraud trial in October and his hush-money trial in April. And he famously served Big Macs several times to athletes visiting the White House. . . .

SSI - Can anyone produce ANY evidence, that Donald Trump has ever done a honest day's work in his entire life?'

Don't bet on it!

"only in America" can educated people be so ignorant. Tbf I doubt she believes it herself but her audience laps it up, ridiculous!
    There at least 2 people on here who demonstrate that educated people can be incredibly ignorant
    We are all ignorant about lots of things I suppose. But could Starmer get away with "only in Britain could the son of a toolmaker get to be head of government"? It would be adsurd.

An American friend was visiting and I answered his phone when his mother rang and she was all
    "ooh I love your accent where are you from?"
    "England"
    "where did you learn to speak English?"
    "Um, England"
    "What language do people speak in England?"
    "Err, English"
    On the other hand, there is no ballot for head if state in the UK.
    What are the "nation's highest offices" though?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,966
    Nigelb said:

JD Vance claims that Trump embodies "Semper Fidelis" -- "always faithful" (Trump has cheated on all three of his wives)

We need to be clear that JD Vance is not, contrary to appearances, a Democrat plant to undermine the Trump campaign. Not only does invoking the US Marines' motto (and tune) Semper Fidelis remind the listener of Trump's infidelity, it also calls out his draft-dodging bone spurs.

Soon after Vance was announced, I suggested here that his first speech as VP pick barely mentioned Trump and sounded more like Vance for President. Well, Vance is a former US Marine. My guess is Vance 2028 will be founded on 6th November, the day after the American election.
    edited August 16
    Haters will say this is AI
    https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1823742501884453312

Elon Musk betrays a sense of humour as he tweets a clip of Trump & Musk dancing to Staying Alive.
    Andy_JS said:

"Criminology student who threw beer over a police officer and kicked at riot shields during widespread disorder in Liverpool is jailed"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13748201/Criminology-student-threw-beer-police-officer-kicked-riot-shields-widespread-disorder-Liverpool-jailed.html

Criminology student, you say? Well, his final year thesis writes itself. Firsts all round!

Nigelb said:

We need to be clear that JD Vance is not, contrary to appearances, a Democrat plant to undermine the Trump campaign. Not only does invoking the US Marines' motto (and tune) Semper Fidelis remind the listener of Trump's infidelity, it also calls out his draft-dodging bone spurs.

Soon after Vance was announced, I suggested here that his first speech as VP pick barely mentioned Trump and sounded more like Vance for President. Well, Vance is a former US Marine. My guess is Vance 2028 will be founded on 6th November, the day after the American election.
    There are so many skeletons in Vance's closet that I'd be surprised.
    OTOH, it is the GOP.
    "over 100%" ?

Trump: Virtually 100% of the net job creation in the last year has gone to migrants In fact I've heard substantially more and actually beyond that number 100%. It’s a much higher number than that but the government has not caught up with that yet.
    https://x.com/Acyn/status/1824187096401318126
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,516
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Home Office now to consider banning people silently praying in the street.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/08/15/home-office-review-ban-silent-prayer-abortion-clinics/

Only those in exclusion zones outside abortion clinics.

We really don't want that US practice of intimidating picketing of clinics here.
    Ooh thats a tough one.

What if we go all BLM , take the knee, and say Babies Lives Matter ?
    As long as it's not within an exclusion zone go right ahead.

Women deserve to be able to seek legal healthcare without intimidation.

When I worked in Chritchurch NZ there was a more or less permanent picket of evangelicals outside the abortion clinic. It was unpleasant for staff to run the gauntlet, but far more so for vulnerable patients.
    But probably not as unpleasant as for the baby that was about to get snuffed
    Perfectly legal healthcare in GB. In Ireland too, and rightly so.

Whether you or I would want one is beside the point. It's for women to choose what to do with their bodies, not middle aged men.
    Unless they decide to campaign for a smaller state one presumes. Then it's for middle aged men to hound them with images of vegetables until they do as they're told.

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,523
    Nigelb said:

"over 100%" ?

Trump: Virtually 100% of the net job creation in the last year has gone to migrants In fact I've heard substantially more and actually beyond that number 100%. It’s a much higher number than that but the government has not caught up with that yet.

Usually when you do the misleading "compare one number with an unrelated number" thing you try to avoid it going over 100% because it gives the game away. Ideally you want it to be about 90%.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/08/15/home-office-review-ban-silent-prayer-abortion-clinics/

We really don't want that US practice of intimidating picketing of clinics here.
    Ooh thats a tough one.

When I worked in Chritchurch NZ there was a more or less permanent picket of evangelicals outside the abortion clinic. It was unpleasant for staff to run the gauntlet, but far more so for vulnerable patients.

Whether you or I would want one is beside the point. It's for women to choose what to do with their bodies, not middle aged men.
    Unless they decide to campaign for a smaller state one presumes. Then it's for middle aged men to hound them with images of vegetables until they do as they're told.

I think I can help you with that:

Campaign for a smaller state, expect people to campaign against you.

Make a private decision to have an abortion, expect not to be harassed while doing so.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,600
    Nigelb said:

"over 100%" ?

"You are going to be thrown into a Communist system where everybody gets health care"

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1824188422292115595?t=DCoAk8-sOOZZzweXaCA3Ug&s=19
    Nigelb said:

"over 100%" ?

He means migrants have taken more jobs than the number of net jobs created. Smart to phrase it in a way that gets his opponents to spread it on social media.
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

"over 100%" ?

"You are going to be thrown into a Communist system where everybody gets health care"

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1824188422292115595?t=DCoAk8-sOOZZzweXaCA3Ug&s=19
    OK there he screwed up. He should instead remind people of how many millions have been murdered by "death panels" since Obamacare came in.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,600
    Nigelb said:

"over 100%" ?

Schrodinger immigrants who are simultaneously insane drug addicted violent criminals and stepping immediately into employment.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,407
    Andy_JS said:

Dave Leip's US prediction map has flipped to the Democrats. I know there aren't many people voting on this page, but it's the original prediction page from the year 2000 IIRC and it's usually pretty accurate.

https://uselectionatlas.org/PRED/PRESIDENT/2024/pred.php

Lol the colour scheme is odd. If that happens it would be interesting
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

"over 100%" ?

Schrodinger immigrants who are simultaneously insane drug addicted violent criminals and stepping immediately into employment.
    They don't have to be the same people?

There's not many US voters on here, but I hope those hoping Trump loses don't make same mistake again and amplify his message for him.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,994

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Ooh thats a tough one.

Somewhere in PB.com, in a place whose name I do not care to remember, a gentleman lived not long ago, one of those who has a lance and ancient shield on a shelf and keeps a skinny nag and a greyhound for racing.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,994
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Ooh thats a tough one.

At least we now know who’d be in favour of Islamists praying for divine conversion therapy outside gay clubs.
    Well it is a free country, gay pride marches often go past churches and mosques
    But they don't permanently picket them or atrempt to stop people worshipping in them.

(Many churches are very happy for gays to worship with them).
    Ditto mosques.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,362

NEW THREAD

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,736

Carnyx said:

. . . speaking of St Ronald . . .

Seattle Times - USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier docks at Naval Base Kitsap

After nearly a decade deployed in the Indo-Pacific, the U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan and its thousands of sailors returned to Bremerton’s Naval Base Kitsap on Tuesday.

The base will serve as the home port for the aircraft carrier as it undergoes routine maintenance. . . .

Before arriving in Bremerton [WA], the USS Ronald Reagan had been the Navy’s only aircraft carrier with a home port in a foreign country. The ship departed from Yokosuka, Japan, on May 16, where it had been deployed since 2015.

During its tenure, the aircraft carrier participated in dozens of multilateral exercises and visited more than a dozen foreign ports, including a historic port call in Da Nang, Vietnam, last year. . . .

Friends, family and loved ones greeted more than 2,500 sailors onboard the aircraft carrier. . . .

I went on the Nimitz back around 1975 when it visited the Firth of Forth. Never forgotten that visit. Too big to come into port so we just got a boat ride out there and I had a wander around for an hour or two. All one had to do was to get a ticket from the US Consulate.

Not sure if they'd do that today. Last time I was in Plymouth a US submarine was in dock with orange buoys all around and, presumably, guarded by US people with automatic rifles and LMGs on the territory of
    the UK.
    Back at the beginning of her career, my wife was the Nimitz’s mascot 😊
    The US Navy still has bizarre (to my ears) things called Friends and Family Cruises, where they take hundreds of Friends and Family out for the day to sea. Applies to all kinds of USN ships.

Flight operations with thousands of civilians on the flight deck.

I'm sure it does wonders for public engagement, and is to do with a society far more permeated by the military - which may be where we need to be going, but our Admirals would have kittens.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/886781/uss-george-hw-bush-cvn-77-friends-and-family-day-cruise
This discussion has been closed.