Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Kamala Harris has the big mo – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 772
    Taz said:

Just called into a branch of ASDA to get a sandwich to be met by a picket line. Of course I didn't blackleg and go inside. But ASDA could well be this Government's biggest business collapse.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-13739809/Asda-crisis-deepens-sales-dive-chairman-say-hes-embarrassed-performance.html

I note the Issa brothers (well one for the moment) are bailing out before anything gets too serious.

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/1053871/asda-chair-urges-mohsin-issa-to-step-away-amid-embarrassing-performance-1053871.html

Let it collapse. Let something emerge from it. Whatever that may be.

The people picketing will only help hasten the collapse if it affects sales.

Morrisons is looking to be in less than great shape too.
    ASDA was in trouble from the moment the Issa brothers took over.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,401
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Saw this tweet, and thought, that's odd:

https://x.com/JosephineCumbo/status/1823989183519543369

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo
    Son achieved AAA in Physics, Further Maths and Maths and no offer from First Choice or Insurance University. Now doing mad scramble for Clearing places. Stress levels are high.

But, then I remembered that there is now an A* grade. Presumably, for many universities, the A* just replaced the A.

Who the hell has an insurance offer dependent on getting A*s?

I got an offer from Cambridge (AAB), and a slew of other offers (St Andrews, LSE, UCL and Aberdeen). I chose UCL as my insurance because they generously offered me EE, and I reckoned that I was likely to achieve that even on a really bad day. St Andrew's offer (ABB) was discarded almost immediately because it was simply too close to my Cambridge offer. I didn't want a situation where I got ABC and didn't get in anywhere.
    To add at 9am this morning Durham had places for Maths... Newcastle are clearly after every penny they can find as they have a lot of courses with spaces.
    Got to fill all those shitty student blocks in the Toon.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,820
    tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo
    Son achieved AAA in Physics, Further Maths and Maths and no offer from First Choice or Insurance University. Now doing mad scramble for Clearing places. Stress levels are high.

But, then I remembered that there is now an A* grade. Presumably, for many universities, the A* just replaced the A.

And son was stupid in not having a more sensible insurance offer.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,335

Happy Dad. My younger son got into Durham to read politics with A*s in Latin, Classical Civilisation, Extended Project Qualification (Does Scotland have the right to independence?) and A in Politics (just missing the A*).

Congrats - which college?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,352
    Andy_JS said:

This is one of the most shocking things I've ever read.

Since when has "anti-establishment rhetoric" been disallowed in this country?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy9elrjpry0o

It hasn’t been disallowed.

Have you even checked the story you’ve read?

The court heard Mr O'Rourke had allegedly expressed support for the recent riots and offered advice on how to remain anonymous to his 90,000 followers.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,454
    edited August 15
    Andy_JS said:

You have taken your quotation out of context "anti - Muslim and anti-establishment rhetoric" was the statement.

If Abu Hamza is charged for "hate speech", and I daresay you agree with this charge, so should this clown.
    tlg86 said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

I wonder how poor his personal statement was.

I know that my nephew was rejected from a lot of universities for having nothing to write about for hobbies or achievements outside academia (he's ended up in Birmingham). My niece (next year) shouldn't have a problem given that she has done things outside of school, is the bassist in a reasonably successful band and makes money doing GCSE maths tuition.. Downside is she wants to do medicine so everything rests on the exam in a few weeks.
    Oh I suspect his personal statement was excellent as he got the offer. Alas, he didn't make the grade.
    At Bath the main criteria for offer is existing and predicted grades. The personal statement has little weight. Other courses/unis may differ (e.g. medicine its important to have gained experiences in healthcare and to reflect on them).
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,332
    Andy_JS said:

When it's coupled with incitement to riot or violence (which the report also suggests) ?
    Until the case is actually heard, there's not much more to say about that.

Happy Dad. My younger son got into Durham to read politics with A*s in Latin, Classical Civilisation, Extended Project Qualification (Does Scotland have the right to independence?) and A in Politics (just missing the A*).

Well done, bright lad. I hope he loves his time at Durham. It is a lovely place as is the region.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,496
    https://x.com/electionmapsuk/status/1824031518194302990

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 33% (-6)
    RFM: 21% (+5)
    CON: 20% (=)
    LDM: 11% (=)
    GRN: 8% (-1)
    SNP: 3% (+1)

Via @wethinkpolling, 7-8 Aug.
    Changes w/ 11-12 Jul.

Just called into a branch of ASDA to get a sandwich to be met by a picket line. Of course I didn't blackleg and go inside. But ASDA could well be this Government's biggest business collapse.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-13739809/Asda-crisis-deepens-sales-dive-chairman-say-hes-embarrassed-performance.html

I note the Issa brothers (well one for the moment) are bailing out before anything gets too serious.

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/1053871/asda-chair-urges-mohsin-issa-to-step-away-amid-embarrassing-performance-1053871.html

Zuber Issa has bailed out. Mohsin Issa is the remaining one - I expect Zuber will be the one who has money at the end of the day because both Asda and Morrisons have fundamental issues that only removing some of the debt will fix.

Remember both were bought with debt when interest rates were 1% rather than 4% AND both I think have loans that need refinancing soon.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,964

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

Son and mum can take a chill pill. He will easily find a place through clearing.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

I got an offer from Cambridge (AAB), and a slew of other offers (St Andrews, LSE, UCL and Aberdeen). I chose UCL as my insurance because they generously offered me EE, and I reckoned that I was likely to achieve that even on a really bad day. St Andrew's offer (ABB) was discarded almost immediately because it was simply too close to my Cambridge offer. I didn't want a situation where I got ABC and didn't get in anywhere.
    I should note that I got an A in History, with Bs in Maths and Economics.

I also got an A in General Studies.

Trinity College, Cambridge sent me a letter telling me that I had failed to get the required grades.

So I called them and told them that the offer didn't specifically exclude General Studies. The lady said that "we don't count general studies," and I politely pointed out that the letter they'd sent me didn't mention that.

An hour later the Admissions Director called me to let me know that I was in.

I framed and hung my rejection letter on the wall of my room in the first year.
    An object lesson in the importance of practical competence (aka blagging) over qualifications.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,055
    Andy_JS said:

He has not been charged with anti-establishment rhetoric but publishing material to stir up racial hatred. So about 1991 I think?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,454
    edited August 15
    Taz said:

Well done, bright lad. I hope he loves his time at Durham. It is a lovely place as is the region.
    Mind you, beers and curries are to be avoided in Durham!
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

Trinity College, Cambridge sent me a letter telling me that I had failed to get the required grades.

So I called them and told them that the offer didn't specifically exclude General Studies. The lady said that "we don't count general studies," and I politely pointed out that the letter they'd sent me didn't mention that.

An object lesson in the importance of practical competence (aka blagging) over qualifications.
    More an object lesson in paying attention to the details because it may not have covered all scenarios thus creating an escape route.
  • eek said:

Van Mildert

tlg86 said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

I know that my nephew was rejected from a lot of universities for having nothing to write about for hobbies or achievements outside academia (he's ended up in Birmingham). My niece (next year) shouldn't have a problem given that she has done things outside of school, is the bassist in a reasonably successful band and makes money doing GCSE maths tuition.. Downside is she wants to do medicine so everything rests on the exam in a few weeks.
    Oh I suspect his personal statement was excellent as he got the offer. Alas, he didn't make the grade.
    At Bath the main criteria for offer is existing and predicted grades. The personal statement has little weight. Other courses/unis may differ (e.g. medicine its important to have gained experiences in healthcare and to reflect on them).
    Medicine has got it wrong, as can be seen from the number of junior doctors looking for outs.

A friend was talking about his nephew who is studying medicine. They had arranged for him to shadow a consultant, including dealing with an emergency which, it was later agreed, should not have included the nephew, leading to a great personal statement. His friend who did not have the same contacts did not get in.
    eek said:

Zuber Issa has bailed out. Mohsin Issa is the remaining one - I expect Zuber will be the one who has money at the end of the day because both Asda and Morrisons have fundamental issues that only removing some of the debt will fix.

Remember both were bought with debt when interest rates were 1% rather than 4% AND both I think have loans that need refinancing soon.
    Asda also have the equal pay case hanging over them, as does Tesco. I am not sure if Morrisons has the same.

The large multinational I work for bought a listed PLC with debt and equity and are really pushing all sites to run down inventory and extend payment terms and get as much cash into the business as possible, partly due to having the fund the acquistion.

Higher for longer will have an impact on quite a few businesses.

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,279
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

Interesting. Back in the day my top choices were members of JMB that ran the General Studies 'A' level and so they had to accept it. I knew it was the one subject I was likely to do well in and so would help.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,113
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

As Amanda Palmer says, it's The Art of Asking.

Taz said:

Mind you, beers and curries are to be avoided in Durham!
    Especially if you are Leader of the Opposition.
    edited August 15

eek said:

Van Mildert
    Halfway up the hill but at least he hasn't got much of a walk in his first year..

Be warned that student rental prices are high (£150+ a week) and decent accommodation will be taken in early November as soon as booking starts.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,942

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    1h
    EXC: Senior Tories plotting bringing forward leadership result to allow new boss to respond to budget on October 30.

Why? Is there some degree of urgency requiring an override on the need to get it right? The party won't collapse if they appoint a temporary spokesman/woman to respond
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,801
    edited August 15
    Like many Scots, I got an unconditional offer and, having turned 18, turned to alcohol and fire-raising in the Chemistry lab for the rest of 6th year.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,113
    Eabhal said:

Like many Scots, I got an unconditional offer and, having turned 18, went to the pub and set fire to stuff in the Chemistry lab for the rest of 6th year.

I thought Scots went to Uni at 17?
    edited August 15
    rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Like many Scots, I got an unconditional offer and, having turned 18, went to the pub and set fire to stuff in the Chemistry lab for the rest of 6th year.

Only idiots. No alcohol in 1st year? You only have to pass the first two years in Scotland, which is how I ended up bagging 128 Munros before 3rd year.

The best result is a conditional offer for 2nd year entry based on Advanced Highers. I had one of those too but dropped it because it wasn't as good a uni.
    viewcode said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    1h
    EXC: Senior Tories plotting bringing forward leadership result to allow new boss to respond to budget on October 30.

Why? Is there some degree of urgency requiring an override on the need to get it right? The party won't collapse if they appoint a temporary spokesman/woman to respond
    The budget is going to be the most important statement in this entire Parliament - quite possibly it will be making big changes in how tax is collected.

The outgoing leader really isn't the person you want responding to it, you need the new leader front and centre both that day and the following morning for the interviews that occur.
    Interesting bit of kit.
    The defence review should be looking at this sort of stuff for the Navy, to augment its sub capacity.

Australia And Anduril Jointly Invest To Promote Ghost Shark Production
    With its new nuclear-powered submarines years away from fructifying into any sort of capability, Australia is pouring money into extra-large autonomous underwater vehicles (XL-AUV) that will help take up the underwater slack.
    https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2024/08/australia-and-anduril-jointly-invest-to-promote-ghost-shark-production/
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,521
    Andy_JS said:

Probably just shitty reporting?
    edited August 15

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

Son and mum can take a chill pill. He will easily find a place through clearing.
    but possibly not in the course they wanted at a university of suitable caliber..
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,237
    "Meet the three types of rioter
    Far-Right thugs weren't the sole perpetrators
    Simon Cottee"

https://unherd.com/2024/08/meet-the-three-types-of-rioter/
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,529
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

That's odd. No doubt you must have had a strong dose of imposter syndrome when surrounded by the likes of Kwasi Kwarteng. However what life eventually teaches us is that excelling in exams isn't everything.
    Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Only idiots. No alcohol in 1st year? You only have to pass the first two years in Scotland, which is how I ended up bagging 128 Munros before 3rd year.

The best result is a conditional offer for 2nd year entry based on Advanced Highers. I had one of those too but dropped it because it wasn't as good a uni.
    To explain: Highers > 4 year Scottish degree
    Highers > Advanced Highers > 3 year English/Scottish degree

But almost everyone did Advanced + 4 year degree, thereby bagging an additional year of education.
    Andy_JS said:

Simon Cottee"

I think that categorisation is correct.

I was struck by this article in the Guardian. Even the courts are accepting there was no racial motivation with some of the people.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/aug/11/rioting-swift-justice-real-motivations-behind-uk-rampage

The first two sentenced for Middlesbrough were clearly "losers" in terms of the categories in the article.

I wonder if the author is any relation to former West Ham Striker and failed Barnet Manager, Tony Cottee ?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,732

Andy_JS said:

He has not been charged with anti-establishment rhetoric but publishing material to stir up racial hatred. So about 1991 I think?
    According to the piece, it is rather more than even that in the evidence:

The court heard Mr O'Rourke had allegedly expressed support for the recent riots and offered advice on how to remain anonymous to his 90,000 followers.

I quite like this droll observation from Reddit on the focus on "anti-establishment", ignoring the rest:

It won't have been "Fuck the government, they are absolutely useless." I promise you the bar for criminal speech is much higher than that. You're still allowed to think the Prime Minister is a wanker.

Honestly, this is like all those comments about a woman being arrested for moving a wheelie bin, and it turns out it was in the middle of a riot, she was "moving" it towards the police at high speed, and it was on fire.

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

but possibly not in the course they wanted at a university of suitable caliber..
    He's done physics, maths and further maths, so probably aims to do physics or maths.

Speaking of which, Sixty Symbols (aka physics at Nottingham) this week published a video on clearing:-

The Clearing System (last-minute university applications) - Sixty Symbols
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvPdSFa3eGo
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,372

tlg86 said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

Medicine has got it wrong, as can be seen from the number of junior doctors looking for outs.

A friend was talking about his nephew who is studying medicine. They had arranged for him to shadow a consultant, including dealing with an emergency which, it was later agreed, should not have included the nephew, leading to a great personal statement. His friend who did not have the same contacts did not get in.
    To be fair, medical schools are working on ways to make the "knowing what you're letting yourself in for" aspect more accessible. Some created virtual work experiences (here are some video scenarios... now go and reflect on them.) Coupled with some sort of voluntary St John's/local hospice work and applicants can be convincing.

From the perspective of a state sixth form teacher, I'm not convinced I know (m)any people who want to be doctors, have the brains and temperament to be doctors, who don't get in.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,075
    MattW said:

Andy_JS said:

I quite like this droll observation from Reddit on the focus on "anti-establishment", ignoring the rest:

It won't have been "Fuck the government, they are absolutely useless." I promise you the bar for criminal speech is much higher than that. You're still allowed to think the Prime Minister is a wanker.

Honestly, this is like all those comments about a woman being arrested for moving a wheelie bin, and it turns out it was in the middle of a riot, she was "moving" it towards the police at high speed, and it was on fire.

I thought that the PM was a tool, rather than a wanker?
  • RattersRatters Posts: 1,002
    edited August 15
    eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

FF43 said:

Excellent (paywalled) article on the recent riots. Some snippets:

UK needs no lessons from apologists for rioters

Those behind the rioting are not misguided social justice warriors, they are violent, far-right racists fortified by a general hooligan element that was up for a ruck and expected to face no consequences. Now they know better.

It is easy to mock Sir Keir Starmer for reverting to type as a former prosecutor but nearly 1,000 arrests and some rapid and tough sentences was the right response
    [to restore confidence in the law]

For all the vacuous “something must be donery” of many commentators there are real underlying issues. But even if you accept that the riots were about anything beyond violence, they have not changed the calculation. The answers are what they have always been: improved economic prospects, investment in skills to secure high-status blue-collar jobs, better housing, good public services. In fact, all the things Labour was elected to deliver.

For Starmer, these grim scenes have marred the start of his government. But the riots told us nothing we didn’t already know about the state of Britain except perhaps the value of a tough response, the true measure of the instigators and the cynicism of their apologists.

https://www.ft.com/content/c3dd8dbd-e203-45af-b5b3-36c993900d2a

All that was needed to quell the riots was the swift response. The lengthy sentences are excessive: a week or two would suffice as deterrent. Contrast this with other crimes that appear to have no consequence because there is a year or more delay before reaching trial.
    Yes, it shows what can be done. Let's start to treat other crimes as seriously.
    To be fair, when people plead guilty at the first available opportunity, it's easy to sentence them and to send them to jail.

The problems occur when people actually want trials with barristers and witnesses and judges and juries and all.
    Juries are immediately available; there is a constant flow of new jurors. Likewise judges. Barristers might need time to prepare their cases for prosecution or defence, but often have only a week, but a week that starts 18 months later. And of course, delays give time for witnesses' memories to fade.
    Juries may be available to be pulled into a 5 day court case but Judges, barristers and court rooms will be booked months in advance...

For reference I'm currently aware that first Tax tribunals are now booking for January to March 2026...
    Those are capacity issues. The rate of flow is the same.

ETA of course you are right there is no easy fix but a determined government ought to be able to fix the backlog over two or three years.
    Only if there is excess capacity in the system to allow more cases to be processed quickly. So given spare judges, court rooms and barristers we may be able to fix the backlog - without all 3 you won't be able to..
    Court rooms can be conjured out of thin air; they are just buildings. Judges and barristers could work slightly longer hours; retired lawyers called in. Bureaucracy smoothed over.

OK, that sounds glib, and I cannot know the details. But something similar was done during the Covid pandemic with both doctors on the one hand, and vaccine production on the other. Schools adapted quickly to remote teaching, and WFH became commonplace at least for white collar workers.

It just takes imagination and political will.
    And money - which is going to be problematic because no-one sane goes into Criminal law, it makes stacking shelves at Tesco look well paid...
    I was warned off entering criminal law as a teenager doing work experience almost 15+ years ago. Because pay was so awful for junior barristers, and it took a long time and experience to be able to get more lucrative cases in fraud etc.

It was convincing enough for me to rule it out as a career option.

I imagine the position has got much worse since. I'm not sure why any newly qualified lawyer entertains it as an option.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,215
    Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

I was only just 17 when I went to University (16 when I left school). I must have missed the lecture about no alcohol in the first year though. In those days pubs would take your student union card as proof of age.

In those days we didn't have advanced Highers but something called Sixth Year studies which were pointless and I skipped. My kids did advanced Highers which seemed much more like an A level equivalent than anything I did.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,653
    Andy_JS said:

Simon Cottee"

I feel like the rioting gay bingo playing couple from Hartlepool will be the subject of an ITV drama sooner or later. Working title: Eyes Down. Lee Mack and Bob Mortimer are interested in the project.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,590
    eek said:

viewcode said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    1h

The budget is going to be the most important statement in this entire Parliament - quite possibly it will be making big changes in how tax is collected.

The outgoing leader really isn't the person you want responding to it, you need the new leader front and centre both that day and the following morning for the interviews that occur.
    As a former CoE Sunak probably can risk it better in an hour than the average leadership candidate.

Probably the best person for the job.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,397

Andy_JS said:

Reporting on everything seems to be piss poor these days. "Interest rate cuts 'unlikely' from Bank of England as unemployment soars" was a particular lowlight the other day.

https://www.gbnews.com/money/interest-rate-cuts-bank-of-england-unemployment

Quite how something "soars" from 4.4% to 4.2% I don't know.
    MattW said:

Andy_JS said:

The press reported a man was sentenced for chanting "who the f*ck is......." you know the rest not going to say it here.

However you read the article and he was charged with far more than just that. Participating in riots and hurling abuse at the Police.

The reporting of some of these sentences is on a par with the reports/claims JSO supporters were locked up for attending a zoom call or telling people the "truth" about climate change.
    Did we have this yesterday? I certainly missed it.

"Stats for Lefties 🍉🏳️‍⚧️
    @LeftieStats
    ·
    Follow
    🚨 POLL: Labour leads by 9% (majority of 150)

🟥 LAB 33% (-2)
    🟦 CON 24% (-)
    🟪 REF 18% (+3)
    🟧 LD 12% (-1)
    🟩 GRN 8% (+1)

Via @BMGResearch, 9 August (+/- vs GE2024)"
    MattW said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh dear :smiley: Can't have been great advice.

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

He's done physics, maths and further maths, so probably aims to do physics or maths.

Speaking of which, Sixty Symbols (aka physics at Nottingham) this week published a video on clearing:-

The Clearing System (last-minute university applications) - Sixty Symbols
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvPdSFa3eGo
    First third of the video is on normal admissions; also points out that increasingly clearing is also used for students trading up after getting better than predicted results.
    Foxy said:

eek said:

viewcode said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    1h

As a former CoE Sunak probably can risk it better in an hour than the average leadership candidate.

Probably the best person for the job.
    Two possibilities.

One is that Sunak really has checked out.

The other is that Sunak would do a better job than any putative successor, and making that obvious will be a bit embarrassing.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,453
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

And yet Toby Young never hears the end of it.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,075
    edited August 15
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

When it's coupled with incitement to riot or violence (which the report also suggests) ?
    Until the case is actually heard, there's not much more to say about that.
    You can say what you like about the establishment.

Inciting people to set fire to immigrants is nothing to do with the establishment.
    One extra effect of describing the riots as exclusively 'far right' even if they are not is that it increases the feelings of fear among the non-white population. May be ethically dubious but definitely good politics from the left wing culture warriors.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,016

Andy_JS said:

The headline says "Man charged with stirring up racial hatred online"

so who is doing the shitty reporting?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 951
    After the far right riots, the party to surge is.......REFORM ?!

Via
    @wethinkpolling
    , 7-8 Aug.
    Changes w/ 11-12 Jul.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,909
    edited August 15
    Andy_JS said:

Simon Cottee"

you don’t find much humane empathy towards the rioters on social media or in the liberal press, but instead contempt and loathing.

I admit to some contempt and loathing, including towards a woman who writes,
    "Don't protect the mosques, blow the mosque up with the adults in it" at the point when mosques were being attacked. Others on here seem to think it's perfectly fine.
    Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

My Oxford offer was AAA (including in Geography) and I think I went for Manchester with my insurance (think it was ABB with the A in geography). In hindsight, that was a bit of a risk. I have a feeling Sheffield offered me BBB.
    I rawdogged it and didn't have an insurance offer. As far as I can recall I wasn't even aware of such a thing.

My offer from Durham was ABB and there was no way a fucking delinquent like me would have got that except I'd done my French A-Level two years early.

This year's Dura Tutoring A-Level Score Board:

French: 2 x A*, 2 x A (Vive la France!)

Russian: 1 x A* (Za Rodinu!)

The A*s were all girls. They are more motivated and organised than the lads at that age in my experience.
    What was the name of "The Fast Show" character whose catchphrase was "Me? In an X? With Y? With my reputation"? Something like the Fifteenth Lord of Bewsley or some such?

tlg86 said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

There is definitely something in this. I also recall an old TV show about applicants for Officer training at (I think) Sandhurst. The interviewers (all seemingly old public school chaps) got on best and ranked best the public school applicants...

At Bath we are required to take endless unconscious bias training etc. It has its point, but sometimes seems rather biased in its presentation.

Nunu5 said:

Via
    @wethinkpolling
    , 7-8 Aug.
    Changes w/ 11-12 Jul.

Exactly what I expected to happen.
    ‘Traded like lollipops’: Tories gave 110 MPs knighthoods in 14 years
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mps-knighted-14-years-3227396

Literally 10 times as many as the 11 MPs knighted or damed by Labour 1997-2010.
    Andy_JS said:

Nunu5 said:

Via
    @wethinkpolling
    , 7-8 Aug.
    Changes w/ 11-12 Jul.

Tories are in big trouble
    Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

My Oxford offer was AAA (including in Geography) and I think I went for Manchester with my insurance (think it was ABB with the A in geography). In hindsight, that was a bit of a risk. I have a feeling Sheffield offered me BBB.
    I rawdogged it and didn't have an insurance offer. As far as I can recall I wasn't even aware of such a thing.

My offer from Durham was ABB and there was no way a fucking delinquent like me would have got that except I'd done my French A-Level two years early.

The A*s were all girls. They are more motivated and organised than the lads at that age in my experience.
    Seems like you've got a decent finishing school there.

One extra effect of describing the riots as exclusively 'far right' even if they are not is that it increases the feelings of fear among the non-white population. May be ethically dubious but definitely good politics from the left wing culture warriors.

Well Reform are surging so we will see if it's such good politics.

One of my nephews did a degree in politics and is now a delivery driver. Impress on your child the importance of getting a (probably unpaid) internship in one of the parties/think tanks, or prepare for a further degree in the (decreasing) academic sector. Good luck.
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Simon Cottee"

you don’t find much humane empathy towards the rioters on social media or in the liberal press, but instead contempt and loathing.

"Don't protect the mosques, blow the mosque up with the adults in it" at the point when mosques were being attacked. Others on here seem to think it's perfectly fine.
    Can you name anyone who thinks it's perfectly fine? And you are just generalising from one example. There's no insight in your comment at all.

In a way that's fine. Plenty of people take a lock 'em up, throw away the key approach to crime. But the left tend to take a more 'causes of crime' approach.
    viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

What was the name of "The Fast Show" character whose catchphrase was "Me? In an X? With Y? With my reputation"? Something like the Fifteenth Lord of Bewsley or some such?
    "Me? With my reputation?" | The 13th Duke of Wybourne
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCf1FMmHHWY

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Simon Cottee"

Can you name anyone who thinks it's perfectly fine? And you are just generalising from one example. There's no insight in your comment at all.

In a way that's fine. Plenty of people take a lock 'em up, throw away the key approach to crime. But the left tend to take a more 'causes of crime' approach.
    Labour governments have actually been quite authoritarian.
    Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

Simon Cottee"

I feel like the rioting gay bingo playing couple from Hartlepool will be the subject of an ITV drama sooner or later. Working title: Eyes Down. Lee Mack and Bob Mortimer are interested in the project.
    Sadly none of the news reports said how they did at the Bingo.

Somewhat disappointing. I am sure the producers of this epic 3 part drama will work something in.

‘Traded like lollipops’: Tories gave 110 MPs knighthoods in 14 years
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mps-knighted-14-years-3227396

Literally 10 times as many as the 11 MPs knighted or damed by Labour 1997-2010.

Fail to last as PM and your party gets extra gongs. British establishment logic at its finest.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,760
    edited August 15
    Nunu5 said:

Andy_JS said:

Nunu5 said:

Via
    @wethinkpolling
    , 7-8 Aug.
    Changes w/ 11-12 Jul.

Good afternoon

@HYUFD will be along to claim conservative and reform are at 41% - an 8 point lead. !!!!
    viewcode said:

One of my nephews did a degree in politics and is now a delivery driver. Impress on your child the importance of getting a (probably unpaid) internship in one of the parties/think tanks, or prepare for a further degree in the (decreasing) academic sector. Good luck.
    He also needs to write, imo.

Nunu5 said:

Andy_JS said:

Nunu5 said:

Via
    @wethinkpolling
    , 7-8 Aug.
    Changes w/ 11-12 Jul.

Good afternoon

@HYUFD will be along to claim conservative and reform are at 41% - an 8 point lead. !!!!
    Lol
    Kamala policywatch.

Coming up today: Price controls!

https://x.com/thehill/status/1824047411599130659

Sure, there were probably some mindless thugs and looters involved too, but the riots were rooted in white supremacy, a current in British society that rises to the surface occasionally, especially when pandered to by people who should know better. This isn't a left wing confection, if only it was.
    Well I'm glad you've already worked out what the riots were all about.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,521
    kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

The headline says "Man charged with stirring up racial hatred online"

so who is doing the shitty reporting?
    Right but then it says, "Nottingham Magistrates' Court heard the posts were alleged to contain anti-Muslim and anti-establishment rhetoric" which is kind of weird because anti-establishment rhetoric isn't illegal. Most likely either the "anti-establishment" part is a bad paraphrase or that sentence is missing some context.
    Off topic, on inflation I paid £1.369 for diesel this morning which was lower than I can remember it being for a long while.
    Pulpstar said:

Off topic, on inflation I paid £1.369 for diesel this morning which was lower than I can remember it being for a long while.

1.46 round here - where are you?
    edited August 15

tlg86 said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

There is definitely something in this. I also recall an old TV show about applicants for Officer training at (I think) Sandhurst. The interviewers (all seemingly old public school chaps) got on best and ranked best the public school applicants...

At Bath we are required to take endless unconscious bias training etc. It has its point, but sometimes seems rather biased in its presentation.

At my Medical School we don't look at the personal statements. We found it both useless in predictive value for performance in course and potentially biasing. Many are not written by the candidate anyway.
    Andy_JS said:

Simon Cottee"

Interesting read, thank you @Andy_JS
    edited August 15

Pulpstar said:

Sheffield, Costco. Was £1.41 iirc last time I filled up.
    Pulpstar said:

Pound is strong at the moment, and oil price is slowly falling.

I just paid 64p a litre for Super 98. ;)
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

At my Medical School we don't look at the personal statements. We found it both useless in predictive value for performance in course and potentially biasing. Many are not written by the candidate anyway.
    I no longer read them (pharmacy), partly because we are interviewing so many, partly because most are utterly formulaic (what the school 'thinks' we want to see) and mostly because we offer to virtually all applicants who fit our criteria.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Damn - a bit far from sleepy SW Wilts to drive up to get some!
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,986

eek said:

Van Mildert
    Many years ago I was a member of the Senior Common Room there. I hope they have sorted out the problem of the the algae in the lake.
    Purge
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,909

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Simon Cottee"

Naming and shaming isn't my style but you can go back to the end of the previous thread where several people expressed the view that the 15 month sentence was excessive or that it indicates a dysfunctional British state under threat. The generalisation is the opposite of what you think because the other examples are obviously worse. On the same day a rioter was sentenced for attacking and injuring a police woman while attempting to break into a house in Hull containing asylum seekers ostensibly to kill them. He also set fire to several cars. Another man was jailed for a similar attempt on the Holiday Inn in Rotherham.

Having said that my beef is actually with the writer of the linked article who is blaming people like me instead of the rioters. In general I try not to personalise on this forum and I think I did a bit here.

Sure, there were probably some mindless thugs and looters involved too, but the riots were rooted in white supremacy, a current in British society that rises to the surface occasionally, especially when pandered to by people who should know better. This isn't a left wing confection, if only it was.
    Well I'm glad you've already worked out what the riots were all about.
    People throwing stones at mosques, setting fire to asylum hotels and vandalising cars and houses thought to belong to immigrants have all rather revealed their motives without a question being asked.
    edited August 15

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

There's one in Avonmouth but it's a 2 hr round trek (And the rest if the M5 is bad lol) from Warminster, so not viable for you. Nevertheless Costco doesn't operate in a vacuum so prices *should* drop elsewhere.
    Sandpit said:

Kamala policywatch.

AIUI the USA situation is quite different to here - where we have been disdainful of price controls since the 1970s?

I think - correct me if I'm wrong - this is about controlling what are effectively soft-monopolies in USA markets eg if a Walmart if the only reachable superstore. Here I have all the supermarkets within a short - 20 minute cycle - distance (except M&S food and Waitrose). In the USA it's a little different, because the place is so spread out for one reason.

I occasionally get pushed "American reacts to .... food prices in Europe / England / Germany" videos and they are always about how awful it is the USA compared to wherever (a bit like The European on anything in the UK) - but otoh they are feeding an audience.

I'd be pleased to here from some of our Statesiders how they view grocery prices / availability in the USA and Europe especially UK.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,075
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

He also needs to write, imo.
    My eldest is going to read history.

She told me "Don't worry, I will do a Business/IT conversion Masters, afterwards."

Oh well....
    edited August 15
    Sandpit said:

Kamala policywatch.

They always work when implemented. A sure fire winner.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/opinion-drug-price-controls-mean-fewer-cures/ar-AA1oOvPv?ocid=BingNewsSerp
    ?
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

Hmmm.

He must have aimed very high with his first uni if he got no response to three As in those subjects.

But I'm also surprised his insurance offer wasn't rather lower than three As. That suggests bad planning.

If he's got an A in Further Maths I'd also be surprised if he has any trouble at all getting a place through Clearing, but maybe it would be better to defer?

Anyway, none of that is presumably of any use to her.
    Lots of duplication between Maths, Further Maths, and Physics, though - it's only really 2½ A-Levels at best.

Presumably he'll have done another one or two subjects as well, so maybe the conditional offers were based on those?
    Purge
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

There's one in Avonmouth but it's a 2 hr round trek (And the rest if the M5 is bad lol) from Warminster, so not viable for you.
    One of my neighbours works in Avonmouth. His boss got him a Tesla, but he couldn't charge it at home (lives in a flat) so wasted an extra 2 h a day driving somewhere to charge it.

Went back to diesel pretty sharpish!
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

£1.409 at Sainsburys Arnison.
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Simon Cottee"

Naming and shaming isn't my style but you can go back to the end of the previous thread where several people expressed the view that the 15 month sentence was excessive or that it indicates a dysfunctional British state under threat. The generalisation is the opposite of what you think because the other examples are obviously worse. On the same day a rioter was sentenced for attacking and injuring a police woman while attempting to break into a house in Hull containing asylum seekers ostensibly to kill them. He also set fire to several cars. Another man was jailed for a similar attempt on the Holiday Inn in Rotherham.

Having said that my beef is actually with the writer of the linked article who is blaming people like me instead of the rioters. In general I try not to personalise on this forum and I think I did a bit here.
    Or, as someone once said, "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime."

In this context, spread hatred, call for people to be harmed, do damage, expect to have the book thrown at you. Meanwhile, the nation needs to do what it can to improve life in left behind areas. The actual and fixable problems, not the fantasy or impossible ones.

Morgan McSweeney's experience in Barking is probably relevant here.
    AlsoLei said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Josephine Cumbo
    @JosephineCumbo

Hmmm.

He must have aimed very high with his first uni if he got no response to three As in those subjects.

But I'm also surprised his insurance offer wasn't rather lower than three As. That suggests bad planning.

If he's got an A in Further Maths I'd also be surprised if he has any trouble at all getting a place through Clearing, but maybe it would be better to defer?

Anyway, none of that is presumably of any use to her.
    Lots of duplication between Maths, Further Maths, and Physics, though - it's only really 2½ A-Levels at best.

Presumably he'll have done another one or two subjects as well, so maybe the conditional offers were based on those?
    I'd certainly agree with the maths/further maths. Not so sure about physics - at least in my day there was a considerable lab based element.

Our school pushed the best maths students through GCSE a year early, then A level the same giving u the Further maths in one year.
    edited August 15

Purge

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

There's one in Avonmouth but it's a 2 hr round trek (And the rest if the M5 is bad lol) from Warminster, so not viable for you.
    One of my neighbours works in Avonmouth. His boss got him a Tesla, but he couldn't charge it at home (lives in a flat) so wasted an extra 2 h a day driving somewhere to charge it.

Went back to diesel pretty sharpish!
    Sedgemoor services seem to have miles of Tesla chargers when we stopped there en route to Beaminster.
This discussion has been closed.