Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Kamala Harris has the big mo – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,029
edited August 26 in General
Kamala Harris has the big mo – politicalbetting.com

As an aside, I encourage people to cite the Silver Bulletin polling averages. They're always free and while some of the other polling averages out there are great too, ours is a little more aggressive & often the quickest to pick up on trends.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,732
    edited August 15
    Second.

FPT: I should record here that I said something good about a lawyer.
    Nigelb said:

That's sad.
    I see Kris Maharaj has died in jail.

On of the most abysmal miscarriages of justice in the long list that shames the US criminal justice systems - in this case, Florida.

Briton dies before clearing name after 38 years in US jails for murders he denied
    Body of Kris Maharaj, who died in Florida prison hospital despite judge finding him innocent, will be taken to UK by his wife for burial
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/13/final-wish-comes-true-for-british-trinidadian-kris-maharaj-jailed-for-38-years-in-us-for-murders-he-denied

Here's a hero:

The human rights lawyer Clive Stafford Smith has represented Maharaj pro bono since 1993 when he was on death row – and now he is focused on getting his body back.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,590

My holiday starts today, you have been warned.

Do we need to panic buy toilet rolls yet?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,352
    Foxy said:

We're going to find out over the next fortnight.
    MattW said:

Second.

Nigelb said:

That's sad.

On of the most abysmal miscarriages of justice in the long list that shames the US criminal justice systems - in this case, Florida.

Briton dies before clearing name after 38 years in US jails for murders he denied
    Body of Kris Maharaj, who died in Florida prison hospital despite judge finding him innocent, will be taken to UK by his wife for burial
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/13/final-wish-comes-true-for-british-trinidadian-kris-maharaj-jailed-for-38-years-in-us-for-murders-he-denied

Here's a hero:

The human rights lawyer Clive Stafford Smith has represented Maharaj pro bono since 1993 when he was on death row – and now he is focused on getting his body back.
    #TheBestOfHumanity
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,401

Foxy said:

We're going to find out over the next fortnight.
    Already got mine on Saturday !!
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,843
    Foxy said:

Toilet rolls aren't much use if the shit hits the fan.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,180

And the bad news has already started:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ceq5j784n7go
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,480

Foxy said:

Toilet rolls aren't much use if the shit hits the fan.
    If Trump hits Vance things will probably improve, so they won't be needed.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,332
    MattW said:

Second.

Nigelb said:

That's sad.

Here's a hero:

He's nearing retirement, though.
    Any budding civil rights lawyers out there of similar determination ?
    If Biden is remembered for anything - other than not being Trump - it will be this.

For my entire life, I've heard politicians talk about bringing manufacturing jobs back to America.
    It is FINALLY happening.
    "We're not going back!" has been @KamalaHarris's rallying cry. But those jobs & industries of the future now hang in the balance this #election...

https://x.com/JesseJenkins/status/1823811245868507216

Good thread.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,519
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Second.

Nigelb said:

That's sad.

Here's a hero:

Who would be a civil/human rights lawyer in England when your name gets published by the far right as a legitimate venue for "discussion" outside? (law centres that deal with immigration often do civil liberties as well)
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,489
    Re comments on Democrats winning the House and Senate.

The former looks entirely possible. It’s on a knife edge anyway.

The Senate likely all comes down to Montana. They are generally polling ahead in the other close races I think, and WV is gone. So Tester winning would produce a 50-50 Senate and VP casting vote. At the moment, I think Tester is polling slightly behind.

I’m not sure they’ll be too upset with a 49-51 Senate though. The filibuster sadly probably remains, but they’ll have Murkowski and Collins on the GOP side who will probably get them where they need to be on nominations etc.
    carnforth said:

I have two maxims in life which may be ruined by that news.

1) Never trust anybody who spells gonorrhoea correctly on the first attempt

and

2) There's a cure for gonorrhoea but there's no cure for regret
  • eekeek Posts: 27,335
    edited August 15

carnforth said:

and

2) There WAS a cure for gonorrhoea but there's no cure for regret
    Fixed the second part for you as that's one of the take aways from the story.

The other one is 85,000 cases of it last year more than any previous year...
    eek said:

carnforth said:

and

I have a friend who works at a clap clinic, she said there is a pent up demand from the lockdowns that explains these cases.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,470
    The SCon leadership election an under appreciated clown car.

https://x.com/lauraewebsterr/status/1823772779197411816?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
  • DavidL said:

Foxy said:

GDP growth 0.6%.
    So thats 1.3% in first half.

Reeves plan working 💪
    Hunt and Sunak both rather hard done by in terms of the forecasts. The OBR forecast was 0.8% for the entire year as recently as May of this year. Seriously wrong, adversely affecting borrowing and tax take tying the government's hands on both tax cuts and spending.

And Reeves wants to give them even more influence.
    Wait until Rishi finds out who it was who called the election early instead of waiting for better economic news when Parliament still had most of a year left to go.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,075
    eek said:

carnforth said:

and

WHO have just declared an emergency over the spread of monkeypox as well.
    So on OGH's last holiday Nicola Sturgeon was arrested and today The Times reports

Nicola Sturgeon still under investigation in SNP finances inquiry

Operation Branchform was triggered in July 2021 after complaints relating to more than £600,000 of donations given to the SNP

Nicola Sturgeon is still under investigation as part of an inquiry into the SNP’s finances, Scotland’s chief constable has confirmed.

Jo Farrell refused to say when Operation Branchform, the police investigation into the funding and finances of the SNP, will end. The inquiry was triggered in July 2021 after complaints were made relating to more than £600,000 of donations given to the SNP to fight a new independence referendum campaign.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/scotland/article/nicola-sturgeon-still-under-investigation-in-snp-finances-inquiry-7m0htfl0c
    edited August 15
    Trump votes early in Republican non-presidential primary.

Then goes off on some loony rant about AI and crowd sizes.

https://youtu.be/NoHgWst1TKk?si=z1rS76zNAGK8MZik

Edit - also says anyone who lies about crowd sizes will lie about anything and do anything to win an election including cheat.

He doesn't do irony, does he?
    edited August 15
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Second.

Nigelb said:

That's sad.

Here's a hero:

In my experience, there probably are - a lot do pro bono. Some may not be so strategic in causes they choose. The real heroes imo, to whom I would happily donate a bottle of fine wine as a thank-you, are those who go for non-prominent, non-fashionable causes.

But OTOH we need to remember that lawyers can afford to do it because they are all rich £$%^&*&*s :smile: . Maybe !
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,075

So on OGH's last holiday Nicola Sturgeon was arrested and today The Times reports

Operation Branchform was triggered in July 2021 after complaints relating to more than £600,000 of donations given to the SNP

Nicola Sturgeon is still under investigation as part of an inquiry into the SNP’s finances, Scotland’s chief constable has confirmed.

Jo Farrell refused to say when Operation Branchform, the police investigation into the funding and finances of the SNP, will end. The inquiry was triggered in July 2021 after complaints were made relating to more than £600,000 of donations given to the SNP to fight a new independence referendum campaign.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/scotland/article/nicola-sturgeon-still-under-investigation-in-snp-finances-inquiry-7m0htfl0c

The inquiry will finish just after the trams and after the ferries are delivered.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,331
    Wait. You have a humble opinion? Who knew?

The SCon leadership election an under appreciated clown car.

https://x.com/lauraewebsterr/status/1823772779197411816?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q

Not a motorhome ?

I’m sure they can stretch it out till 08/05/26 if they really, really try.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,215

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

GDP growth 0.6%.

Reeves plan working 💪
    Hunt and Sunak both rather hard done by in terms of the forecasts. The OBR forecast was 0.8% for the entire year as recently as May of this year. Seriously wrong, adversely affecting borrowing and tax take tying the government's hands on both tax cuts and spending.

Wait until Rishi finds out who it was who called the election early instead of waiting for better economic news when Parliament still had most of a year left to go.
    That seems to have been himself. There is going to be a modest blip upwards in inflation as we saw this week but the underlying news, particularly in terms of growth, was much better than was being reported.

I do, it compliments my natural modest self effacing personality.

The inquiry will finish just after the trams and after the ferries are delivered.
    Keep up, the vanity project that is Edinburgh trams has been operating for 10 years.
    edited August 15

Keep up, the vanity project that is Edinburgh trams has been operating for 10 years.
    After the trams enquiry reports….
    I can confirm that Harris is doing well.

The offered cash out on Harris as President on my £30 bet has now increased to £5.56 profit, when it was down at about £4.50 recently.

The Trams inquiry led by Lord Hardie did eventually report but the report was basically ignored because everyone had long since lost interest. A truly appalling episode and use of public funds, almost as bad as the various errors made in constructing the trams themselves (which are, in fairness, now extremely popular and useful).
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,801

I've just been cited for court for something that happened in 2021. Will be late this year/next year. The police officer who phoned me about it couldn't help laughing about ridiculous the situation is.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,016
    edited August 15

The Senate likely all comes down to Montana. They are generally polling ahead in the other close races I think, and WV is gone. So Tester winning would produce a 50-50 Senate and VP casting vote. At the moment, I think Tester is polling slightly behind.

I’m not sure they’ll be too upset with a 49-51 Senate though. The filibuster sadly probably remains, but they’ll have Murkowski and Collins on the GOP side who will probably get them where they need to be on nominations etc.

Dems are behind in Montana. But even if they win there, there are a few other very close races they would need to hold to keep it 50-50.

Some say Dems have a 'tough map this year'. Which is kind of true. But the truth is the whole Senate map of 50 states is tough for the Dems. There are simply more red states than blue states. And as the phenomenon of Dem senators in red states slowly disappears, it's going to be very hard for the Dems to get a Senate majority in any election where the national vote is close-ish.

I am now a daily tram user :)

D'you mean 'complements?'

Or does it say nice things about your NMSEP?

I think Harris will win big and do so because of what the Trump campaign has not yet done.

Its now crystal clear that ditching Biden for Harris has transformed the election. The Veep picks on both sides further drives the Harris up Trump down momentum.

With an indifferent you owe me Democrat candidate (*cough* Hillary) there would be room for Trump to work away under the surface. But now? Trump is widely reported to have gone postal - you made me pick the wrong Veep, the Dems have done a coup by replacing Biden etc etc.

As Trump goes publicly bonkers we will see the gap widen more. Easy for people to get caught up with Trumpism when the alternative is awful. But when the alternative is sane and credible and openly laughing at Trumpism - and getting people to laugh with them - its much harder to cling to the crook.

What can Trump do to turn this around? Realistically?

He's got advisers telling him to ditch the insults and going on about Biden and the Steal, and focus on the economy and immigration. Should be simple enough, but is he capable of it?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,279
    How I wish the US election was this week!!!

Trump 2.0 would be so over.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

GDP growth 0.6%.

Reeves plan working 💪

That seems to have been himself. There is going to be a modest blip upwards in inflation as we saw this week but the underlying news, particularly in terms of growth, was much better than was being reported.
    I'm not sure about that data - my work comes from companies investing in software based productivity improvements and the market is dire...
    DavidL said:

The Trams inquiry led by Lord Hardie did eventually report but the report was basically ignored because everyone had long since lost interest. A truly appalling episode and use of public funds, almost as bad as the various errors made in constructing the trams themselves (which are, in fairness, now extremely popular and useful).
    One of the recommendations was for an inquiry into why the inquiry took so long, which suggests Hardie has an excellent sense of humour. You get a sense he was rather frustrated by the whole thing.

I think Harris will win big and do so because of what the Trump campaign has not yet done.

Its now crystal clear that ditching Biden for Harris has transformed the election. The Veep picks on both sides further drives the Harris up Trump down momentum.

With an indifferent you owe me Democrat candidate (*cough* Hillary) there would be room for Trump to work away under the surface. But now? Trump is widely reported to have gone postal - you made me pick the wrong Veep, the Dems have done a coup by replacing Biden etc etc.

As Trump goes publicly bonkers we will see the gap widen more. Easy for people to get caught up with Trumpism when the alternative is awful. But when the alternative is sane and credible and openly laughing at Trumpism - and getting people to laugh with them - its much harder to cling to the crook.

He needs to stop the childish name calling and focus on policy where Harris is a lot weaker, having abandoned most of her positions from 2020 and indeed most of her career. The focus should be on the economy, the border and crime, not on crowd size, race or gender. So far, Harris is yet to have a sit down interview with anyone since her candidature began, focusing instead on feel good rallies and sound bites. By going hard on policy Trump could increase the pressure for that to change.

Whether Trump has the self discipline and indeed the intellect to do this effectively is open to doubt. The debate is one such opportunity. He needs to maximise this and look for others. Hopefully, he will continue to witter about irrelevancies.
  • kamski said:

Dems are behind in Montana. But even if they win there, there are a few other very close races they would need to hold to keep it 50-50.

Some say Dems have a 'tough map this year'. Which is kind of true. But the truth is the whole Senate map of 50 states is tough for the Dems. There are simply more red states than blue states. And as the phenomenon of Dem senators in red states slowly disappears, it's going to be very hard for the Dems to get a Senate majority in any election where the national vote is close-ish.
    Which is why its ridiculous they've not made DC and Puerto Rico states, both of which deserve to be states.

The latter would be a purple state, but a purple one they could win in a good year.
    Eabhal said:

I've just been cited for court for something that happened in 2021. Will be late this year/next year. The police officer who phoned me about it couldn't help laughing about ridiculous the situation is.
    That's interesting :smile: .

Do you expect it to reach Court? Or be dropped at the door?

kamski said:

Which is why its ridiculous they've not made DC and Puerto Rico states, both of which deserve to be states.

The latter would be a purple state, but a purple one they could win in a good year.
    Please fuck off you lying Hitler-apologist. Thanks.
    Eabhal said:

I hope you get off. Or at least not proven.
    edited August 15
    MattW said:

Eabhal said:

That's interesting :smile: .

Do you expect it to reach Court? Or be dropped at the door?
    Yes. I think it's a bit different from England where that happens quite a lot.

From my prior experiences and discussion with the police, the tactic is to wait as long as possible before pleading guilty, on the basis that witnesses or the PFO will give up after four years.

If it does go to trial, I have no idea the outcome.
  • RattersRatters Posts: 1,002
    edited August 15
    It seems to me that Harris has achieved the 'Boris' trick of taking over the leadership from an incumbent of the same party, but sufficiently differentiated herself to appear to be the popular insurgent against the tired opposition leader who has lost some of his previous appeal.

Democrat convention next, which I expect will be a show of unity and slick, giving a further polling boost. Then debates, where Trump is at a disadvantage given his age. And onto the campaign itself, where Harris can significantly outspend Trump.

Plenty of time for things to change, but the dynamics of the race are all pointing in one direction.
    Eabhal said:

In the High Court, where I work, that is about average unless the accused is in custody in which case it would be slightly faster. In the Sheriff court, where less serious matters are dealt with, that seems extraordinarily slow.

kamski said:

No chance that the Republicans would allow either to progress.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,228
    edited August 15

It’s only going to get worse for him. Dems will massively outgun Trump on the advertising front. So much of the money he’s raised, which is of course a lesser sum than Harris has raised, is going straight into the pockets of lawyers.

And there’s a non-negligible chance that the man himself could be in prison by November 5.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,625
    DavidL said:

He needs to stop the childish name calling and focus on policy where Harris is a lot weaker, having abandoned most of her positions from 2020 and indeed most of her career. The focus should be on the economy, the border and crime, not on crowd size, race or gender. So far, Harris is yet to have a sit down interview with anyone since her candidature began, focusing instead on feel good rallies and sound bites. By going hard on policy Trump could increase the pressure for that to change.

Whether Trump has the self discipline and indeed the intellect to do this effectively is open to doubt. The debate is one such opportunity. He needs to maximise this and look for others. Hopefully, he will continue to witter about irrelevancies.
    From what I read / hear he goes apoplectic at advisors who suggest that. And into even more of a rage when the focus is on anyone who isn't him.

His other BIG problem is that when he talks about the economy, the border or crime he drools on about what he did in the past with zero detail / massive lies and then pivots straight onto conspiracy crap about the steal or insano shit about Sharks.

He doesn't have the ability to do the punchy one-liner on policy. Its ALWAYS about him, or about abusing his opponents. Every single time. Forget "Its the Economy, Stupid". Trump does "Sleepin Joe" "Crooked Hillary" "Stop the Steal". Which are all about him, especially the abuse of others ones.

The democrats didn't know how to deal with him. And thanks to Walz they appear to have decided to laugh at him. And as people stop chanting and hear people laughing at him - at them - and start to think, they realise there is a lot to laugh at. Hence the massive swings we're now seeing.

They're laughing at how stupid he is. How does he turn that around?
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,689
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

In the High Court, where I work, that is about average unless the accused is in custody in which case it would be slightly faster. In the Sheriff court, where less serious matters are dealt with, that seems extraordinarily slow.
    SKS really is doing something right, then, down here he's cleared up the backlog so people are getting jailed within bare weeks of their crimes!
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

I think it's a special case due to witness difficulties. Your colleagues at PFO have been great btw, even if it takes a few months for them to get back to you.
  • kamski said:

The Republicans changed filibuster rules with a simple majority to enable their simple majority and President Trump to get court appointments through.

The Democrats had a simple majority at the start of Biden's Presidency, they could have pushed this through then if they wanted to.

Eabhal said:

I feel like criminals and prisoners are under-represented here. I'll place my bets during visiting hours.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,372

Change his persona. Which I suspect the Trump of 2016 was capable of doing.

Unfortunately, Trump 2024 is showing signs of the sort of cognitive decline that often afflicts the elderly, and is having to run much more on underlying instinct and personality.

And DJT's underlying personality is horrible to behold.

DavidL said:

From what I read / hear he goes apoplectic at advisors who suggest that. And into even more of a rage when the focus is on anyone who isn't him.

His other BIG problem is that when he talks about the economy, the border or crime he drools on about what he did in the past with zero detail / massive lies and then pivots straight onto conspiracy crap about the steal or insano shit about Sharks.

He doesn't have the ability to do the punchy one-liner on policy. Its ALWAYS about him, or about abusing his opponents. Every single time. Forget "Its the Economy, Stupid". Trump does "Sleepin Joe" "Crooked Hillary" "Stop the Steal". Which are all about him, especially the abuse of others ones.

The democrats didn't know how to deal with him. And thanks to Walz they appear to have decided to laugh at him. And as people stop chanting and hear people laughing at him - at them - and start to think, they realise there is a lot to laugh at. Hence the massive swings we're now seeing.

Ironically his best hope might be for a severe prison sentence when Merchan rules next month. Because then he can at least try and claim that the Democrats are using the court system to get him.

If he's let off, then Walz will be touring the country commenting on how judges let off their mates while shitting all over Middle America. Them and us, with Trump firmly in the Them column. Which would not be good for him.

But I can't see how the civil lawsuits (also I think with appeals due next month?) are going to be anything other than a major disaster for him.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    ydoethur said:

D'you mean 'complements?'

Or does it say nice things about your NMSEP?
    He means both, of course.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,991
    Driver said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

SKS really is doing something right, then, down here he's cleared up the backlog so people are getting jailed within bare weeks of their crimes!
    Difference between proper crown court trials and magistrates courts.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,991
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Ooh, what have I missed?
    Some impressive grift here.

Former UF president Sasse channeled millions to GOP allies, secretive contracts

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article291042070.html
    In his 17-month stint as UF president, Ben Sasse more than tripled his office’s spending, directing millions in university funds into secretive consulting contracts and high-paying positions for his GOP allies.

Sasse ballooned spending under the president’s office to $17.3 million in his first year in office — up from $5.6 million in former UF President Kent Fuchs’ last year, according to publicly available administrative budget data.

A majority of the spending surge was driven by lucrative contracts with big-name consulting firms and high-salaried, remote positions for Sasse’s former U.S. Senate staff and Republican officials.

Sasse’s consulting contracts have been kept largely under wraps, leaving the public in the dark about what the contracted firms did to earn their fees. The university also declined to clarify specific duties carried out by Sasse’s ex-Senate staff, several of whom were salaried as presidential advisers.

The university said Sasse’s budget expansion went through the “appropriate approval process” but did not answer questions about how Sasse bankrolled his splurges, where the funds originated or who authorized the spending.

Sasse, 52, who started at UF in February 2023 and resigned in July, had an annual base salary of $1 million and a performance bonus of up to $150,000, records show.

Amid protests over his conservative track record as a Nebraska Republican senator, Sasse promised during his ascension to the UF presidency in fall 2022 that he would divorce himself from partisan politics under what he called a vow of “political celibacy.”

But the senator-turned-university president quietly broke that promise in his 17-month term at the university’s helm, hiring six ex-Senate staffers and two former Republican officials to high-paying, remote jobs at the university.

Under Sasse’s administration, two of his former Senate staffers — Raymond Sass and James Wegmann — were among the highest-ranking and highest-paid officials at UF. Both worked remotely from the D.C. area, roughly 800 miles from UF’s main campus in Gainesville.

Sass, Sasse’s former Senate chief of staff, was UF’s vice president for innovation and partnerships — a position that didn’t exist under previous administrations. His starting salary at UF was $396,000, more than double the $181,677 he made on Capitol Hill...
    TimS said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Ooh, what have I missed?
    Interesting, those were Matthew Crooks' last words.

Hope that's not a precursor to you having an unfortunate accident.
    edited August 15
    DavidL said:

Of course, the trams only happened in the first place because the Conservatives and their allies (Scottish Greens and Slab/SLD) saw a chance to wreck Scottish transport plans such as the fuinding of A9 etc, like monkeys with a red crayon trying to improve on Ane Satire of the Thrie Estaitis.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,372
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

GDP growth 0.6%.

Reeves plan working 💪

Simplest explanation is that Hunt maxxed out the borrowing to engineer a pre-election feelgood boomlet. After all, consumers had 4p off their tax rate. These things generally aren't that sustainable, and it can be viewed as another of the poos that Hunt and Sunak left on the Downing St carpet for their sucessors to clean up.

But it's a good thing for now.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,173

DavidL said:

One of Trump's problems is that US Presidents have their eight years in the spotlight and then its time for someone else.

And Trump's had his eight years - only the first four as President but the last four years have been about him as much as anyone.

Too many people have had too much Trump and don't want anymore.
    Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

I think it's a special case due to witness difficulties. Your colleagues at PFO have been great btw, even if it takes a few months for them to get back to you.
    Good to hear. Time I clocked on for another hard day at Mill.

After the trams enquiry reports….
    I do like the audacity of Englishplaining on that level of factual accuracy. What next, Edward II won Bannockburn?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,075
    Really interesting detail in Pew Research poll of 7,500, with breakdowns by sex, age, race, education.

https://x.com/iapolls2022/status/1823808606992507022?s=12

Headline figures:
    Harris 46%
    Trump 45%
    Kennedy 7%
    Others 1%
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Of course, the trams only happened in the first place because the Conservatives and their allies (Scottish Greens and Slab/SLD) saw a chance to wreck Scottish transport plans such as the fuinding of A9 etc, like monkeys with a red crayon trying to improve on Ane Satire of the Thrie Estaitis.
    It is an amazing episode of local/central government politicking and general bantz. Deserves a Thick of It style mockumentary. There are enough parties and characters involved for it to be neutral.

It’s only going to get worse for him. Dems will massively outgun Trump on the advertising front. So much of the money he’s raised, which is of course a lesser sum than Harris has raised, is going straight into the pockets of lawyers.

And there’s a non-negligible chance that the man himself could be in prison by November 5.
    Is there really much chance he'll be in prison? Seems unlikely.

And Trump has spent about 100 million fundraised dollars in legal fees over 3 years, and claimed to have raised 141 million just in the month of May, so not sure it's going to make that significant dent.

And does Harris have more money than Trump? I'm not sure that's true, but I hope you are right.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,554

Not here for the Democrat's convention? Brave...

On topic, Harris seems to be bringing North Carolina into her sphere of influence. Bad news for Donald as it undoes him winning Arizona and Nevada. (Not that he was going to win Nevada. Nor in all likelihood, Arizona.)

Waiting for the post-Conference numbers from Texas and especially Florida. Florida to Toss Up will cause Trump a funding headache. How much of his limited war chest does he invest in keeping Florida in his camp? If he loses it, game over. But the rust belt is going to require some big spends. He is already pouring money into Pennsylvania, where Harris is moving ahead regardless.

Tough times for Trump.

Heh.

• TazTaz Posts: 13,401

DavidL said:

One of Trump's problems is that US Presidents have their eight years in the spotlight and then its time for someone else.

And Trump's had his eight years - only the first four as President but the last four years have been about him as much as anyone.

Too many people have had too much Trump and don't want anymore.
    Harris appears bright, fresh, dynamic and interesting by comparison.

She is not being tested by the press or media. She is not being scrutinised. He policy platform is not being tested.

But while Trump is making so many unforced errors then why should she. Just leave him to keep on making mistakes.

• Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,006

Eabhal said:

That link you posted to that tweet on Turing yesterday by an American tourist was quite interesting.

For some, identity politics is now the most important thing in the historical record and, if an individual in the past had one at odds with the values of today, then that trumps all other history, and it must be preached.

It's quite odd when you think about it, but it does very much reflect our times.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,006
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Is that really necessary, particularly to a perfectly reasonable post and at 8.30am in the morning?
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

It is an amazing episode of local/central government politicking and general bantz. Deserves a Thick of It style mockumentary. There are enough parties and characters involved for it to be neutral.
    Sufficiently pissed off potential audience in Edinburgh though, so you'll only get it as a late night fixture at the Filmhouse in Festival time and the only people there will be Grauniad culture expeditionaries and the odd confused tourist.
    kamski said:

And Trump has spent about 100 million fundraised dollars in legal fees over 3 years, and claimed to have raised 141 million just in the month of May, so not sure it's going to make that significant dent.

And does Harris have more money than Trump? I'm not sure that's true, but I hope you are right.
    Any prison sentence is likely to be suspended until after the election.

Which would be an interesting dynamic to the November vote. "Do you think Donald Trump should serve time in prison? Vote Democrat for yes, Republican for no..."
    edited August 15

Eabhal said:

That link you posted to that tweet on Turing yesterday by an American tourist was quite interesting.

For some, identity politics is now the most important thing in the historical record and, if an individual in the past had one at odds with the values of today, then that trumps all other history, and it must be preached.

It's quite odd when you think about it, but it does very much reflect our times.

Eabhal said:

You mean, like PB culture warriors getting v. angry at Armstrong buying an anti-slavery statue and putting it in a special niche at Cragside and the NT for daring to put up a label saying what it was all about?

kamski said:

Or no chance Republicans + Manchin would have allowed that to progress

kamski said:

Any prison sentence is likely to be suspended until after the election.

Which would be an interesting dynamic to the November vote. "Do you think Donald Trump should serve time in prison? Vote Democrat for yes, Republican for no..."
    Do you think criminals should be locked up?

Donald Trump doesn't...
    kamski said:

kamski said:

I clearly didn't get the memo about the New Civility....
    edited August 15
    FPT:
    theProle said:

Andy_JS said:

This 53 year old woman, who was jailed today, looks about 25 years older than she is. Makes you wonder what life is like in those parts of the country.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/14/judge-jails-keyboard-warrior-over-blow-up-mosque-post/

Reading that, the sentence seems totally disproportionate to the crime. She expressed an opinion she probably didn't even really hold (I doubt if you gave her a mosque full of adults and an explosive charge, completely free of legal consequence, she would actually push the plunger), suggesting she would prefer this unpleasant outcome to the community clear up that was actually ongoing.

Personally, I'd rather permit this sort of unpleasant speech than lose free speech, but even if you say that these sorts of sentiments are beyond the pale, and should be illegal, for a first time offender of previous good character, surely this is the sort of thing where community service would actually be a good answer.

She's likely to take it seriously, and not repeat offend. I can't see any useful purpose to be gained by imprisonment in this case - it's going to cost us a fortune, ruin her life, and at the end of it she'll probably be more convinced/radicalised that Tommy Robinson et-al are right about the system being rigged against "normal" people.
    I think this is about context again. It is a time of widespread violent disorder, and the type of post she made is exactly the sort that has encouraged others to go to see what is happening, then get involved.

The post contributes to causing fear for sections of our society who are to be respected, are more vulnerable, and have a right not to be targeted. She was also reacting *against* the positive response of the local community.

For the sentence those contribute to the need to make it exemplary and a deterrent. Plus there are multiple aggravating factors.

We have had social media for 20 years, and we all know how things go viral. It is basic that we should not to react without thinking. Yes we've all done it, but most of us know that to call for people to be blown up or burnt alive is a *touch* unacceptable.

We also had very similar events, and provocations, and sentences, in the London and copycat riots in 2011.

IMO it had to be custodial. 15 months too much? I'm really not sure, perhaps I would say 6-9 months. They don't have much experience of sentencing yet, as that Act was only passed in the last year by the last Government.

The Telegraph report is quite good on the detail: https://archive.ph/K7YWm#selection-3545.79-3545.147

Here are the videoed sentencing remarks by a Judge on another "keyboard warrior" case, who had a previous criminal record, and made more substantive posts. He got 20 months:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xelrwm7fS_k
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,496
    TimS said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Ooh, what have I missed?
    It can only be related to planning policy.
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Or no chance Republicans + Manchin would have allowed that to progress
    I was going to comment on the other reply - Manchin has stated he is opposed to DC statehood. Not sure on PR.

Plus, IIRC the supermajority (60) is still required for some things - such as the state votes.

kamski said:

kamski said:

Quite. I’ve taken breaks from here after I nearly crossed the line and I suggest others do too. I sometimes forget, and it appears others do to, that there are humans* on the other end of this here internet.

*nearly always anyway. I’m a seal of course. Sometimes also I wonder that a few on here are not AI hallucinations**

**I think that is the first time I’ve written or typed that word. Took me three attempts to spell it right.
    Robert F Kennedy Jr, the independent presidential candidate, has revealed he attempted to meet Kamala Harris to broach the prospect of endorsing her in exchange for a cabinet position.

The son of the late former US attorney general launched his third party presidential bid last October and surprised many pundits by securing double-digits in some polls of the 2024 White House race.

His support has fallen dramatically since Joe Biden withdrew from the race and Ms Harris replaced the president at the top of the Democratic ticket.

Mr Kennedy, 70, sought a meeting with Ms Harris, 59, last week to discuss the possibility of backing her campaign in exchange for a high-level position in her administration should she win, his campaign aides told the Washington Post and CNN.

Ms Harris and her advisers did not take up the offer to meet and have shown no interest in the proposal, which Mr Kennedy called a “strategic mistake”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/us/politics/2024/08/15/robert-f-kennedy-endorse-kamala-harris-cabinet-us-election/
    DougSeal said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Quite. I’ve taken breaks from here after I nearly crossed the line and I suggest others do too. I sometimes forget, and it appears others do to, that there are humans* on the other end of this here internet.

*nearly always anyway. I’m a seal of course. Sometimes also I wonder that a few on here are not AI hallucinations**

**I think that is the first time I’ve written or typed that word. Took me three attempts to spell it right.
    That means that you are an AI hallucination and just don’t know it.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,689
    TimS said:

Driver said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Mags can only do 12 months, right? And people have been getting multiple years? (I missed a lot of the details, I was away for a couple of weeks).
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,838
    Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Mags can only do 12 months, right? And people have been getting multiple years? (I missed a lot of the details, I was away for a couple of weeks).
    Only six months maximum in magistrates
    edited August 15
    Eabhal said:

Can we confirm this.

Does "cited" in Scotland mean you are a witness, or up before the beak?

I think it means in the dock, but Scotland, and especially its legal system, is a .. er .. "faraway country of which some of us know little" (allegedly).

I'm not asking for gruesome details.
    edited August 15
    HYUFD said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Six months unless more than 1 offence where it can be 12 months.

Reality is anything going over 6 months will be shifted to a crown court.

The reason why so many cases are being sentenced so quickly is that Liverpool (and some other courts) have magistrate and crown courts in the same building and the offences are so serious that sentencing reports for mitigation are not required.

So if someone pleads guilty the cases are being processed quickly is because there are no factors that delay very quick setencing.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,838

RCP has the Democrats ahead in the generic House ballot by 0.3%
    "2024 Generic Congressional Vote Polls | RealClearPolling" https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/state-of-the-union/2024/generic-congressional-vote
    Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

There are a couple of exemptions to the 12 month max, IIRC - but not much more than that.

Yeah - they are *charging* people with more serious offences. Which is why they are going to crown court, and getting guilty pleas. The lawyers will be telling the clients that a) the offences can’t be disputed (mostly) and b) that the heavy charging means that the sentences can get big.

What has changed is the severity of the offences being charged. If they started handing out sentences outside the guidelines, those would be reduced on appeal, almost automatically.

In normal times, the *charges* are often much less than the offence could justify.
    MattW said:

Eabhal said:

Can we confirm this.

Does "cited" in Scotland mean you are a witness, or up before the beak?

I think it means in the dock, but Scotland, and especially its legal system, is a .. er .. "faraway country of which some of us know little" (allegedly).

I'm not asking for gruesome details.
    Witness!
    HYUFD said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Or magistrates can give 12 months in total for multiple offences, though.
    HYUFD said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

No. It’s been increased to 12 even for one offence under the Judicial Review and Courts Act 2022.
    Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

They can refer to Crown Court for sentencing in either way offences even on a guilty plea.
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Six months unless more than 1 offence where it can be 12 months.

Reality is anything going over 6 months will be shifted to a crown court.
    IIRC there is a rare circumstance where a magistrate can hand out more than 12 month, in effect.

One of those theoretical-but-almost-never-happens deals.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,511
    edited August 15

Not here for the Democrat's convention? Brave...

On topic, Harris seems to be bringing North Carolina into her sphere of influence. Bad news for Donald as it undoes him winning Arizona and Nevada. (Not that he was going to win Nevada. Nor in all likelihood, Arizona.)

Waiting for the post-Conference numbers from Texas and especially Florida. Florida to Toss Up will cause Trump a funding headache. How much of his limited war chest does he invest in keeping Florida in his camp? If he loses it, game over. But the rust belt is going to require some big spends. He is already pouring money into Pennsylvania, where Harris is moving ahead regardless.

Tough times for Trump.

Heh.

I have just been looking at the history of votes in Texas and Florida and the trends. They are so key that if the Democrats can turn one of these states into a blue state on a semi permanent basis it is all over for the near future. Or is it? It would be an interesting thread from someone who knows their stuff on the trends in voting in key states (or groups of states like the rust belt). I remember when Ohio was the key state and Florida being in play and Texas is definitely trending Democrat, but what election does it fall if at all?

Is one of our American posters keen to do a thread?
This discussion has been closed.