Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Kemi Badenoch’s past comes back to haunt her – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited August 26 in General
imageKemi Badenoch’s past comes back to haunt her – politicalbetting.com

EXC: Bombshell video reveals @KemiBadenoch lobbied to lift migrant caps and then hailed her own success….No comment tonight after 2018 boast emerges https://t.co/PUd1sOF6hX

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,551
    First like Robert Jenrick?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    The constant hit pieces on Kemi continue I see...

Has she upset the Govester?
    GIN1138 said:

More the Govester has upset her.

He had an affair with a married friend of Kemi’s and then the friend’s marriage broke down and Kemi hates Michael ever since.
    Her reply:

Kemi Badenoch
    @KemiBadenoch
    We need a truthful debate in this contest about immigration. Pretending that public statements (on party policy from 3 elections ago!) are new “bombshell” revelations is clutching at straws.

In 2018 we still had unlimited EU migration. Our party policy was to bring in highly-skilled people, but limit low-skilled ones.

By 2022, I could see it wasn’t working. It’s why I was so vocal about it in the last leadership contest.
    GIN1138 said:

Her reply:

Kemi Badenoch
    @KemiBadenoch
    We need a truthful debate in this contest about immigration. Pretending that public statements (on party policy from 3 elections ago!) are new “bombshell” revelations is clutching at straws.

In 2018 we still had unlimited EU migration. Our party policy was to bring in highly-skilled people, but limit low-skilled ones.

By 2022, I could see it wasn’t working. It’s why I was so vocal about it in the last leadership contest.

So she jumps on any passing bandwagon.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,637

Sixth, where the Tories will be if that comes to pass.

GIN1138 said:

He had an affair with a married friend of Kemi’s and then the friend’s marriage broke down and Kemi hates Michael ever since.
    You wouldn't think he'd have it in him, would you? 😂
    ydoethur said:

Sixth, where the Tories will be if that comes to pass.
    You’re more optimistic than me.
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

It is common knowledge that Michael Gove has a massive dong.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,637
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I dunno. He fucked lots of people while at the DfE.
    edited August 13

GIN1138 said:

Her reply:

Kemi Badenoch
    @KemiBadenoch

So she jumps on any passing bandwagon.
    Not a bad quality for a LOTO (as long as she knows which bandwagons to jump on and when...)

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

... 👀
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    Kemi has the same problem as so many others. The cultural conservatives tend to be economic liberals or even Thatcherites. If she is LOTO she'd be in danger of being caught between two stools.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,347
    Well she’s clearly upset someone.

How’s about we have debates and discussions about future policy and direction, rather than trying to smear people with things said years ago on Twitter?

Can all of the candidates please agree to make this a positive campaign?
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659

GIN1138 said:

While personally I'm a fan of Gove, surely for most people this is even more reason to love Kemi? Family values! Smashing Infidelity one worm at a time!
  • xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz Posts: 44
    edited August 13
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jul/25/super-rich-being-advised-how-to-avoid-labour-tax-clampdown-undercover-investigation-suggests

Helpful IHT planning advice from The Guardian for those in the previous thread bemoaning the possible new gift tax.
    Sandpit said:

How’s about we have debates and discussions about future policy and direction, rather than trying to smear people with things said years ago on Twitter?

It wasn’t said on Twitter, it was said in the House of Commons.

GIN1138 said:

While personally I'm a fan of Gove, surely for most people this is even more reason to love Kemi? Family values! Smashing Infidelity one worm at a time!
    As a family values Conservative, I totally agree.
    Nunu5 said:
    Okay, I am back on Team Tugendhat.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260
    Major blow to Tory politician's leadership prospects as she's caught not being at all nasty.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,702
    GIN1138 said:

This one feels damaging. The others felt like they might go in her favour - making her come across as just 'outspoken' and 'decisive'.
    edited August 13

GIN1138 said:

As a family values Conservative, I totally agree.
    Apologies to anybody who hurt themselves laughing at the idea of me being a family values Conservative.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,126
    Sandpit said:

It's hardly smearing to share a video of someone speaking in the house of commons!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,738

Kemi has the same problem as so many others. The cultural conservatives tend to be economic liberals or even Thatcherites. If she is LOTO she'd be in danger of being caught between two stools.

In the sense of caught between a couple of shits?

That's her colleagues for you...
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 115

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

He sure is. Oh, wait, 'has'...
    rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

It's hardly smearing to share a video of someone speaking in the house of commons!
    It’s positively Corbynite, apparently it is a smear to quote what you’ve said in the past.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,556
    Sandpit said:

Didn't they agree a Yellow Card system for unfair attacks?

The catch is that it's basically unenforceable; instead of Candidate X attacking someone publicly, they just do an unattributable leak instead.

(I'd have to be really cynical to point out that rules that sound good on paper but are unenforceable in reality was one of the previous government's signature moves. Fortunately, I am sufficiently cynical.)

However, these leaks reveal two things.

One is that someone really doesn't like Kemi.

The other is that Kemi gets really cross when criticised, or treated with less dignity than she thinks she deserves.

The first isn't necessarily an issue, but the second is. Leader of the Opposition is, by definition, an undignified role. Good ones rise above that.
    Nunu5 said:
    I'm not sure that is quite what Farage said. The clip I saw had him saying 'I just wonder if we are being told the whole truth.' The point about Tate is that if influencers like him were saying stuff why didn't the police refute it? They did say he was originally from Cardiff.

It does raise the issue of exactly how much information the police should provide to people in a situation like this. The repeated assertion that it's 'not been treated as terror related' raises suspicions with people. You then have contempt of court issues once the trial is ongoing and then hopefully it'll no longer be a huge story when the final truth emerges. Talking about online abuse in the wake of David Amiss's death was remarkable 'whatabouttery.'
  • ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Whilst overseeing dramatic improvements across international comparators. Education was a stand out success of the last government, they just were entirely incapable of getting that message across.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,645
    FPT from @Stuartinromford:

The breakdown of the economically inactive:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    1.7 million looking after family/home
    0.2 million temporary sick
    2.8 million long term sick
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

I'd be fascinated to know what the "Other" category covers but there you go.

How to get some of these back into employment preferably with more carrot than stick?
    xyzxyzxyz said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jul/25/super-rich-being-advised-how-to-avoid-labour-tax-clampdown-undercover-investigation-suggests

Helpful IHT planning advice from The Guardian for those in the previous thread bemoaning the possible new gift tax.

If people are putting £30m into such schemes, that would seem to promote it to Big Fish about to get Fried....
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    @TSE

'...But was a near Trappist monk with her silence on other substantive issues such as the Post Office scandal.'

She was not more so than any of her predecessors, but she was in a position to make the PO cooperate fully and vigorously with the Inquiry if she had wished.

She did not, and the PO continued to be obstructive right the way through to the end. She has no excuse for this.
    stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

How to get some of these back into employment preferably with more carrot than stick?

Comfortable enoughg not to risk making themselves temporarily or long term sick?

Maybe they just like duvet days more than getting up for work every morning?
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

It doesn’t sound like it was Gove that had it in him.

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Whilst overseeing dramatic improvements across international comparators. Education was a stand out success of the last government, they just were entirely incapable of getting that message across.
    It's good to have a variety of views on the Site, Wilderness, and few will have been more various than that.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    All the Tory options are shit. Just accept it and change the rules to accept they are electing the new William Hague.

First round - wear a baseball cap on the logflume
    Second round - drink 14 pints of beer

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

Comfortable enoughg not to risk making themselves temporarily or long term sick?

Do not wish to become wage slaves and are fortunate enough to have the choice?
    stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

2.8m long term sick is the obvious standout (perhaps it always has been). However is our labour force participation rate that different to other countries. And I know from family experience that these things overlap. For instance long term sick caring for relatives.
    Trump may drop out the race: Scaramucci opines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKpgfks7_C4
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I hope you don’t have photographic evidence of this like that photo of Farage in those shorts. What a time to have eyes :(
    Muesli said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

It doesn’t sound like it was Gove that had it in him.
    Filth!

Aren't all the candidates in danger of that? Won't it always be the case as long as there are two stools?
    Muesli said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I hope you don’t have photographic evidence of this like that photo of Farage in those shorts. What a time to have eyes :(
    No.

At least I don’t think so.

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

The ‘other’ are going to be the extreme ends of society.

On one hand, the fifty-somethings who quit their jobs after the pandemic and are off around the world, but dont want to call themselves ‘retired’ just yet.

On the other hand, those who have totally fallen through the system - young adult NEETS living with parents, homeless, black-market workers etc.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275
    On Topic - Bad Enoch!
  • xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz Posts: 44

xyzxyzxyz said:

If people are putting £30m into such schemes, that would seem to promote it to Big Fish about to get Fried....
    Doesn't say if there is a minimum. Option for those who don't want to give money away before they die.
    Sandpit said:

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

The ‘other’ are going to be the extreme ends of society.

On one hand, the fifty-somethings who quit their jobs after the pandemic and are off around the world, but dont want to call themselves ‘retired’ just yet.

On the other hand, those who have totally fallen through the system - young adult NEETS living with parents, homeless, black-market workers etc.
    I was one of those fifty-somethings, Sandy, but long before the pandemic. I chose not to return to work and became a professional gambler instead. It was hard work, but I enjoyed it, and never had to rise to the alarm clock again!
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 115
    stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

I'm probably in the Other category.

Director/Chair of a charity. Get to pay myself (limited) expenses but certainly not salaried so it mainly amounts to senior level volunteering.

If 'wanting to give something back' is considered inactive then so be it.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,095
    stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

No comment :lol:
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,556

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

2.8m long term sick is the obvious standout (perhaps it always has been). However is our labour force participation rate that different to other countries. And I know from family experience that these things overlap. For instance long term sick caring for relatives.
    Eyeballing the spreadsheet (at https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/economicinactivity/datasets/economicinactivitybyreasonnotseasonallyadjustedinac01nsa if someone wants to analyse it properly on a proper screen), long term sick has been wobbling around 2 million for a couple of decades, and jumped during the plague.

Otherwise- somewhat more students since the mid 90s, somewhat fewer homekeepers, but most of the numbers pretty stable.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275
    edited August 13

Notion that Scdaramucci is some seer, let alone a quasi-credible pundit, is laughable.

He proved he was an idiot while working FOR Donald Trump . . . for about 15 minutes or close to it. Just because he'a a Trump critic NOW does NOT change that basic truth.

He's trying to extend his 15-minutes of (in)fame into a freaking cottage industry. WIth assists from (non-deplorable) gulibles
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

Notion that Scdaramucci is some seer, let alone a quasi-credible pundit, is laughable.

He proved he was an idiot while working FOR Donald Trump . . . for about 15 minutes or close to it. Just because he'a a Trump critic NOW does NOT change that basic truth.

He's trying to extend his 15-minutes of (in)fame into a freaking cottage industry. WIth assists from (non-deplorable) gulibles
    But, SSI, what do you REALLY think of Scaramucci?
    edited August 13

Liz Truss had Thatcher-esque longevity, compared to Anthony Scaramucci.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,275

Sandpit said:

Didn't they agree a Yellow Card system for unfair attacks?

The catch is that it's basically unenforceable; instead of Candidate X attacking someone publicly, they just do an unattributable leak instead.

(I'd have to be really cynical to point out that rules that sound good on paper but are unenforceable in reality was one of the previous government's signature moves. Fortunately, I am sufficiently cynical.)

However, these leaks reveal two things.

One is that someone really doesn't like Kemi.

The other is that Kemi gets really cross when criticised, or treated with less dignity than she thinks she deserves.

The first isn't necessarily an issue, but the second is. Leader of the Opposition is, by definition, an undignified role. Good ones rise above that.
    Another thing it should remind everyone of is that the rise in immigration post Brexit was planned for by a Conservative government, who took control of our borders. We, led by a Brexit Tory party, wanted more workers, we wanted more students, changed policy to make it happen and we got them which accounts for the vast majority of recent migration far more than boat arrivals.

Yet within a month of leaving power those same politicians are now blaming Labour! Incredulous and ridiculous to the logical mind.
    “Incredulous”
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited August 13

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

Eyeballing the spreadsheet (at https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/economicinactivity/datasets/economicinactivitybyreasonnotseasonallyadjustedinac01nsa if someone wants to analyse it properly on a proper screen), long term sick has been wobbling around 2 million for a couple of decades, and jumped during the plague.

Otherwise- somewhat more students since the mid 90s, somewhat fewer homekeepers, but most of the numbers pretty stable.
    Not particularly surprising given the known sequelae of covid. A bit less than a million extra implies about 1-2% occurrence of long covid which isn't that amazing, especially if the data are a little old.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/25/about-2m-people-long-covid-england-scotland-ons-figures

Edit: but of course some of the increase could be ascribed to increased NHS backlogs for operations, of course.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,095
    Sandpit said:

Have we done this?

"Most Brits Do Not Care Who The Next Tory Leader Is, Brutal New Poll Finds

Story by Kate Nicholson • 44m • 2 min read
    © AP/Sky News

Most Brits do not actually care who the next Conservative leader is, according to a new poll.

In yet another humiliating twist for the Tories – just a month after their worst ever electoral defeat, Ipsos UK has found 62% of Brits surveyed were not interested in following who would replace Rishi Sunak.

To make matters worse, that includes 36% of Conservative voters.

The pollsters found none of the candidates are very well known among the British public, despite all of them holding ministerial roles at some point.

Just 45% of the1,091 adults surveyed said they know a great deal or a fair amount about former home secretary Priti Patel, followed by 26% for shadow home secretary James Cleverly, and 24% for shadow housing secretary Kemi Badenoch.

The polling, which took place between August 2 and 5, also found 34% of the public said they do not favour any of the current candidates.

There was a narrow preference for Cleverly among those surveyed, with 18% suggesting he would do a good job, followed by Patel (17%) and shadow security minister Tom Tugendhat (17%).

Badenoch is slightly behind on 14%, putting her on par with former migration minister Robert Jenrick.

Meanwhile, 9% thought shadow pensions secretary Mel Stride would do a good job leading the opposition – which, unfortunately, is the same percentage of respondents who backed a candidate called “Stuart Lewis”, a fake politician added to the poll by Ipsos.

But, it’s not all doom and gloom for Stride.

While a whopping 44% of respondents said they thought Patel would do a bad job, (and 22% thought the same of Badenoch, 20% of Cleverly, 15% of Jenrick, 11% of Tugendhat), just 9% said thought Stride would also perform poorly.

Trinh Tu, UK managing director, public affairs, said: “This new poll suggests high level of public apathy about the Conservative leadership race.”

She added that Patel seems to be most divisive figure at the moment, but for the most part, “Britons are unfamiliar with the main candidates and say they do not care very much about who will emerge at the winner”.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/most-brits-do-not-care-who-the-next-tory-leader-is-brutal-new-poll-finds/ar-AA1oJeDL?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Is it not perfectly possible that he does pull out, SSI?

Surely his finances will be drained as soon as it appears he may not win?
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,855

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I expect there was a reason for that!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,363
    "Riots show white working-class boys feel ‘distanced’ from society, says Mel Stride

Tory leadership hopeful says unrest took place against backdrop of job security and home ownership feeling out of reach for poor white males"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/08/13/riots-white-working-class-boys-distanced-society-mel-stride/
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,214
    stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

What does "discouraged" mean?

A good listen for anybody who despises Trump/Maga. The Mooch can talk up a storm.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,137
    Andy_JS said:

"Riots show white working-class boys feel ‘distanced’ from society, says Mel Stride

Tory leadership hopeful says unrest took place against backdrop of job security and home ownership feeling out of reach for poor white males"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/08/13/riots-white-working-class-boys-distanced-society-mel-stride/

So lets build lots more homes and a strong economy. This isn't rocket science.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,214
    From the BBC...

Mr Black says she had "no reason" to believe the eggs she purchased would be "used in any unlawful purpose".

Disagree with you there. I find him insightful on Trump as well as articulate and entertaining.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,702
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

Not particularly surprising given the known sequelae of covid. A bit less than a million extra implies about 1-2% occurrence of long covid which isn't that amazing, especially if the data are a little old.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/25/about-2m-people-long-covid-england-scotland-ons-figures

Edit: but of course some of the increase could be ascribed to increased NHS backlogs for operations, of course.
    The existence of Long Covid is disputed.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/15/long-covid-symptoms-flu-cold
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Is it not perfectly possible that he does pull out, SSI?

Surely his finances will be drained as soon as it appears he may not win?
    Trump doesn't have finances in the usual way. He's broke, and he's always been broke. It's baffling that the banks continue to prop him up, and it can be only the old bad debt joke.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

The existing of truly mind-blowing NHS queues and waiting times are not. So many chronic conditions get worse in the absence of treatment.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

Long sequelae of nasty viral diseases are common, whatever they are called. All that that study is saying is that Covid is one such. And as it is recurrent, and originally novel, it's bound to be a factor.
    edited August 13

Andy_JS said:

Build houses. Then build more houses, and more houses, and more houses.

Because everyone ends up better off, if they have a house of their own.

If people who can’t afford to buy in their 30s or even 40s, start retiring in large numbers still renting, the public finances are even more screwed than they are already.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332

Andy_JS said:

We are probably going to see 0.7% growth for Q2 this week. This may be as good as its going to get for quite a while. The economy is certainly doing better than the forecasters indicated, substantially so. And unemployment fell today when it was forecast to rise.

We have serious structural problems with both our public sector deficit and our trade deficit but, superficially at least, things are going better than most believed at the time of the election.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,750

Sandpit said:

Have we done this?

© AP/Sky News

Most Brits do not actually care who the next Conservative leader is, according to a new poll.

In yet another humiliating twist for the Tories – just a month after their worst ever electoral defeat, Ipsos UK has found 62% of Brits surveyed were not interested in following who would replace Rishi Sunak.

The pollsters found none of the candidates are very well known among the British public, despite all of them holding ministerial roles at some point.

Just 45% of the1,091 adults surveyed said they know a great deal or a fair amount about former home secretary Priti Patel, followed by 26% for shadow home secretary James Cleverly, and 24% for shadow housing secretary Kemi Badenoch.

The polling, which took place between August 2 and 5, also found 34% of the public said they do not favour any of the current candidates.

There was a narrow preference for Cleverly among those surveyed, with 18% suggesting he would do a good job, followed by Patel (17%) and shadow security minister Tom Tugendhat (17%).

Badenoch is slightly behind on 14%, putting her on par with former migration minister Robert Jenrick.

Meanwhile, 9% thought shadow pensions secretary Mel Stride would do a good job leading the opposition – which, unfortunately, is the same percentage of respondents who backed a candidate called “Stuart Lewis”, a fake politician added to the poll by Ipsos.

While a whopping 44% of respondents said they thought Patel would do a bad job, (and 22% thought the same of Badenoch, 20% of Cleverly, 15% of Jenrick, 11% of Tugendhat), just 9% said thought Stride would also perform poorly.

Trinh Tu, UK managing director, public affairs, said: “This new poll suggests high level of public apathy about the Conservative leadership race.”

She added that Patel seems to be most divisive figure at the moment, but for the most part, “Britons are unfamiliar with the main candidates and say they do not care very much about who will emerge at the winner”.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/most-brits-do-not-care-who-the-next-tory-leader-is-brutal-new-poll-finds/ar-AA1oJeDL?ocid=BingNewsSerp
    I like the sound of Stuart Lewis, a phantom leader for a deceased party.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,477
    I still think it will be Cleverly.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    GIN1138 said:

Her reply:

Kemi Badenoch
    @KemiBadenoch

She says "three elections ago", as if she's talking about 2010, not 2018.
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

We are probably going to see 0.7% growth for Q2 this week. This may be as good as its going to get for quite a while. The economy is certainly doing better than the forecasters indicated, substantially so. And unemployment fell today when it was forecast to rise.

We have serious structural problems with both our public sector deficit and our trade deficit but, superficially at least, things are going better than most believed at the time of the election.
    We are going to have good and bad quarters, way too much attention is focused on that. What we need to do is provide youngsters with a future they can believe in and number 1,2 and 3 on the list should be build more houses.
    KnightOut said:

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

I'm probably in the Other category.

Director/Chair of a charity. Get to pay myself (limited) expenses but certainly not salaried so it mainly amounts to senior level volunteering.

If 'wanting to give something back' is considered inactive then so be it.
    Other is: "Other reasons include people who (i) are waiting the results of a job application, (ii) have not yet started looking for work, (iii) do not need or want employment, (iv) have given an uncategorised reason for being economically inactive, or (v) have not given a reason for being economically inactive." (Nat Stats spreadsheet)
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229

Interestingly, when I was sat I between Badenoch and Gove, I was also (although I didn't know it at the time) between two stools.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,750

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

Our Labour force participation is 10th highest of those with records, beaten only by Japan, NZ, and some North European countries. Significantly better than the OECD average.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_by_employment_rate
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    edited August 13
    When I read what Scaramucci had said about Trump withdrawing, I immediately guessed that he was -- perhaps among other things -- hoping to provoke the press into asking the Loser whether he is withdrawing. Any denials from the Loser would only help to spread the story. of course.

(LBJ understood that tactic, as the famous story reminds us.)
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,661

I thought the interview was surprisingly interesting. Particularly Scaramucci's observation that the Trump/MAGA project is about superceding Americsn democracy with a governing model based on oligarchy. Makes a lot of sense. Big shots running the country on behalf of themselves without constitutional restraint. Hence the support of Musk, fascination with Putin, and stuffing the Supreme Court with yesmen. It's a credible way of interpreting Trumpism.
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Her reply:

Kemi Badenoch
    @KemiBadenoch

She is a born spin doctor. Or Mikey Gove is.
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

Roughly:
    2.7 million students
    0.03 million discouraged
    1 million retired
    1 million other

Our Labour force participation is 10th highest of those with records, beaten only by Japan, NZ, and some North European countries. Significantly better than the OECD average.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_by_employment_rate
    So more mothers forced to keep working, while paying back out a significant amount of their net salary in childcare expenses, with no-one really benefiting from that arrangement except the taxman?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,778
    Elon's AI shows more sense than he does.

Grok summarised the live debate
    https://x.com/azeem/status/1823318917353296268
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,155
    I am drinking a vodka martini with a thin slice of lemon peel

I am drinking a vodka martini with a thin slice of lemon peel

Perfect summer drink
    Ben Stokes ruled out for the rest of the summer.

#FuckTheHundred
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    If you want to build a strong economy, I would suggest you manufacture more homes, rather than build them. The potential productivity gains are large. Some of the money saved could go into investments that would help the rest of the economy.
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Have we done this?

© AP/Sky News

I like the sound of Stuart Lewis, a phantom leader for a deceased party.
    Not quite deceased but they've made themselves irrelevant. Whoever they pick will need to be very good to change that anytime soon. Nobody standing quite strikes me as the one to do it. If I was to apply a racing lens and look for the runner who's least exposed and therefore has the most potential I guess that'd be Jenrick.
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Her reply:

Kemi Badenoch
    @KemiBadenoch

I think she means three leadership elections ago but you do lose count when it comes to Tory leadership elections...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,778
    kinabalu said:

Disagree with you there. I find him insightful on Trump as well as articulate and entertaining.
    At the very least he displays a decent sense of humour.
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Her reply:

Kemi Badenoch
    @KemiBadenoch

She might be better off pointing out that at the start of the speech she was agreeing with the Conservative Home Secretary and her leadership rivals. But the revolution always eats its own and she is now an ex leadership hopeful.

Ben Stokes ruled out for the rest of the summer.

#FuckTheHundred

Bring on the Ninety.
  • I still think it will be Cleverly.

I just don't see how he gets it. He's superficially plausible and even likeable at times (date rape "jokes" aside) but he isn't an original thinker and doesn't have a case that Tory members are likely to find particularly compelling as leader.

Cleverly is essentially the "potter on and hope Labour f*** up" candidate and, while that might not actually be an awful strategy, it isn't going to win a leadership election. Particularly in circumstances where a huge number of Tory members feel bruised, have lost their local MP, and are angry with the universe. They want answers, even if they are essentially bullshit answers.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Andy_JS said:

What to do.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

It is common knowledge that Michael Gove is a massive dong.
    Corrected that for you!
This discussion has been closed.