Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

I feel sorry for Armando Iannucci and satirists everywhere – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,088
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Champagne sales slump due to lack of ‘celebration’ and joy in the world, industry execs say trib.al/S6Fp9Yq

https://x.com/nypost/status/1816551361476977006?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

In my case because cava and cremant are so reliable these days. There's nicer champagne obviously but for weekday drinking, codorniu hits the spot.
    I’ve never had a nice cremant

I did, however, try some lovely MOLDOVAN sparkling wine on my recent visit there. A lot of places now make good fizz
    I’ve had several. The smaller producers in Chablis and Mersault are realising that they have maxed out on the Grand and Premier Crus. The Petit Chablis is no longer any old turps - they are realising that they have vast acreage (relatively) for that and a small increase in quality commands bettter prices.

Similarly, cremant is getting more effort put in - again, it doesn’t use the premium terroir.
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Champagne sales slump due to lack of ‘celebration’ and joy in the world, industry execs say trib.al/S6Fp9Yq

We should all take a leaf out of Lily Bollinger’s book:

“I drink Champagne when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it―unless I’m thirsty.”
    Absurd price increases - one brand sold to a celebrity owner. Who doubled the prices….
    dixiedean said:

Kenneth does tell us one thing;

Russia's exclusion from the Olympics has really got to them.

They're becoming ever more insular. Projecting their perversions and insecurities ever harder onto us.

They're hurting.

Whatever we're doing is working.

Lost even the internal consistency. The lack of understanding of Britain is becoming ever more embarrassing.
    My favourite was the bit about how we should all be Christian and therefore athletes should hold
    icons.
    That'd go down great in certain of our Christian demographics.
    I’m thinking we could solve the energy crisis by piping steam from the ears of the funkier Protestant types in NI, if the icon thing went ahead
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,970
    moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

A good day to bury bad news?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/27/rachel-reeves-delay-flagship-hospital-road-building/

Rachel Reeves to delay flagship hospital and road-building projects
    Stonehenge tunnel and the Lower Thames Crossing could be under threat following an ‘audit’ of the Government’s economic inheritance

Stonehenge Tunnel Delayed? That does it. May it never be glad confident morning again for them.
    It’s extraordinary that we’re so far on and still haven’t built the sodding lower Thames crossing. Just toll it. And combine it with a far more expensive freight only toll on the existing route north from Dover.
    One of the reasons big projects have cost so much in the UK is this constant second guessing. Delays and changes to important parts of the specification end up leading to mega fiascos like HS2.

For goodness sake, take a decision, and execute it, otherwise you spend money and get nothing. The Stonehenge project is already 50 years late!
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

eek said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

We are getting the Silvertown Tunnel next year so that will add an extra crossing east of Tower Bridge.

Which doesn't really help people trying to get from Kent to Essex or vice versa...
    Going South is usually straightforward, in my experience. Going North is the problem
    Facilis descensus Averno.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,996

Leon said:

Leon said:

In my case because cava and cremant are so reliable these days. There's nicer champagne obviously but for weekday drinking, codorniu hits the spot.

I did, however, try some lovely MOLDOVAN sparkling wine on my recent visit there. A lot of places now make good fizz
    I’ve had several. The smaller producers in Chablis and Mersault are realising that they have maxed out on the Grand and Premier Crus. The Petit Chablis is no longer any old turps - they are realising that they have vast acreage (relatively) for that and a small increase in quality commands bettter prices.

Similarly, cremant is getting more effort put in - again, it doesn’t use the premium terroir.
    Had an ‘interesting’ blue sparkling wine from the Isle of Wight the other day. Wouldn’t spend what the purchaser did on it myself though, except to provide a talking point.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,028
    On topic, I can't help but be reminded of the claim that the great Tom Lehrer, one of the best satarists of all time, that “Political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.”
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,556

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sainsbury's do a very fine Cremant d'Alsace - currently with their 25% off for 3 bottles promotion it comes in about £7.75 - more than a couple of quid cheaper than M&S Prosecco. Against which the Cremant is very much superior. The pink is especially fine, I'm told.

And with that, your teetotaller wine correspondent heads back to lurking...
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,186

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sainsbury's do a very fine Cremant d'Alsace - currently with their 25% off for 3 bottles promotion it comes in about £7.75 - more than a couple of quid cheaper than M&S Prosecco. Against which the Cremant is very much superior. The pink is especially fine, I'm told.

And with that, your teetotaller wine correspondent heads back to lurking...
    Even the Germans are increasing the quality of their once bargain-basement sparklers:

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/type/dr-loosen-extra-dry-sekt-nv-490861

eek said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

We are getting the Silvertown Tunnel next year so that will add an extra crossing east of Tower Bridge.

Which doesn't really help people trying to get from Kent to Essex or vice versa...
    Going South is usually straightforward, in my experience. Going North is the problem
    Facilis descensus Averno.
    Mind, one doesn’t want to go South of the River after dark!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,356

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

really do think that Alexander 'Boris' Johnson should be prepared to debate his attitude towards the Ukraine war with an opponent.

https://x.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1817147457949536469

Why?
    AFAIAA, he holds no government or Party position, but is a private citizen.
    What kind of society do you envisage where any one of us can be ordered to debate on the say so of another?
    Indeed. A weird post made weirder by the "Alexander 'Boris' Johnson" usage.
    It is a Hitchens hobbyhorse. Apparently as well as being his real name it is the name he uses and is known by by friends and family with Boris just being a stage name.

Poor old Gideon/George Osborne has the opposite problem.
    Is that Peter ‘Twat’ Hitchens ?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,097
    Cicero said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/27/rachel-reeves-delay-flagship-hospital-road-building/

Stonehenge tunnel and the Lower Thames Crossing could be under threat following an ‘audit’ of the Government’s economic inheritance

Stonehenge Tunnel Delayed? That does it. May it never be glad confident morning again for them.
    It’s extraordinary that we’re so far on and still haven’t built the sodding lower Thames crossing. Just toll it. And combine it with a far more expensive freight only toll on the existing route north from Dover.
    One of the reasons big projects have cost so much in the UK is this constant second guessing. Delays and changes to important parts of the specification end up leading to mega fiascos like HS2.

For goodness sake, take a decision, and execute it, otherwise you spend money and get nothing. The Stonehenge project is already 50 years late!
    The Lower Thames Crossing has so far spent a quarter of a billion on paperwork.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/lower-thames-crossing-applications-267m-cost-highlights-complexity-of-planning-system-06-12-2022/
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 27

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

For me delaying or indeed abandoning, the Stonehenge Tunnel would be a good thing. Stonehenge needs a bypass, well away from it. There’s probably all sorts of historical relics close to the site.
    Indeed. Only the most stupid of Governments (and I am looking at both Labour and the Tories) could have come up with a series of plans that involved damaging a world heritage site so severely there were threats its status would be revoked.

Get a sensible bypass plan in place that doesn't cut into the World Heritage site and get it built.
    That bird flew away when they made the A303 the Trunk Road instead of the A30 in roughly 1958 and spent the next sixty years rebuilding it as a high speed dual expressway for most of the next 30 miles either side - except for a short bit at Stonehenge (and benighted Winterbourne Stoke).

If they can this no alternative will happen for a generation as a major project from scratch will be needed and Tories will do a 2015 in a swaythe of the SW in 2029.

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

For me delaying or indeed abandoning, the Stonehenge Tunnel would be a good thing. Stonehenge needs a bypass, well away from it. There’s probably all sorts of historical relics close to the site.
    Indeed. Only the most stupid of Governments (and I am looking at both Labour and the Tories) could have come up with a series of plans that involved damaging a world heritage site so severely there were threats its status would be revoked.

Get a sensible bypass plan in place that doesn't cut into the World Heritage site and get it built.
    That bird flew away when they made the A303 the trunk Road instead of the A30 in roughly 1958 and spent the next sixty years rebuilding it as a high speed dual expressway for most of the next 30 miles either side - except for a short bit at Stonehenge (and benighted Winterbourne Stoke).
    If they’d have made the A30 the trunk road, they’d have to bypass Salisbury somewhere.
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Stonehenge Tunnel delayed - that's a project that really isn't needed.

The Lower Thames crossing just shows how much money we waste on planning for what should be a fait accompli. We've spent £300m on something that should that required £10m or so of work just to confirm the start and end points then kicked off the work...
    Lawyers and consultants.

If they're not part of the solution they can be very lucratively part of the problem.

In fact its probably much easier and more lucrative to be part of the problem.
    Yep - the fix has to be finding a method that allow strategically important developments to be implemented quickly without 10 years of legal arguments first.
    Parliament is sovereign. It should be possible for a Bill to be passed for a significant piece of infrastructure, and for the project to actually start within weeks. Set compulsory purchase orders at 150% or even 200% of prior market value.
    The problem isn’t the compulsory purchase. It’s the requirement for rather vaguely defined statutory obligations to be considered. Which can then be challenged and taken to court.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687

Anyway, someone else who likes the Putinist 'no need to worry you little heads about democracy' line.

Acyn
    @Acyn
    Trump: You have to get out and vote. You won’t have to do it anymore. Four years, it will be fixed, it will be fine. You won’t have to vote anymore.. In four years, you won’t have to vote again.

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1817007890496102490

Unbelievable.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,251
    edited July 27
    "Why Vance-ism won’t be the future
    Trump’s genius, which is to be rightwing but not pious, is lost on his election running mate
    Janan Ganesh"

https://www.ft.com/content/50c83bcd-11ba-4bec-bde9-bf0098b1053e

[paywall seems to be off for this article]
    This is possibly the maddest idea that RFK Jnr has yet come up with.

Presidential Candidate RFK JR: "I will sign an executive order directing the US Treasury to purchase 550 Bitcoin daily until the US has built a reserve of at least 4,000,000 Bitcoins and a position of dominance that no other country will be able to usurp."
    https://x.com/AutismCapital/status/1816951410728317217
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,505
    https://x.com/politlcsuk/status/1817204357466558666

NEW: A Tory MP says Priti Patel “is the Brat candidate" in the Tory leadership election

Boris Johnson is reportedly supporting her privately, with MPs across the party seeing her as both loyal and the candidate who can bring unity
    edited July 27
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

That bird flew away when they made the A303 the trunk Road instead of the A30 in roughly 1958 and spent the next sixty years rebuilding it as a high speed dual expressway for most of the next 30 miles either side - except for a short bit at Stonehenge (and benighted Winterbourne Stoke).
    If they’d have made the A30 the trunk road, they’d have to bypass Salisbury somewhere.
    That (and Yeovil, Shaftesbury etc) is basically why they detrunked the A30 in ~1958 and William Hanning built the New Direct Road from Andover to Honiton in ~1809 that became the A303; as the A30 route through Salisbury was such a goat track even in Georgian times that it delayed the stagecoaches.

The MoT had forgotten this by the time they came up with road numbers in 1923 and classified it as a bunch of B Roads before U turning and swiping the A303 number from next to Westminster Bridge in 1935.

(saved on signpost costs as most of the B Roads became A3036 in 1933 so they just had to paint out the "6" and paint in a "6" on the road off Westminster Bridge).
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,904

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

The Lower Thames crossing just shows how much money we waste on planning for what should be a fait accompli. We've spent £300m on something that should that required £10m or so of work just to confirm the start and end points then kicked off the work...
    Lawyers and consultants.

If they're not part of the solution they can be very lucratively part of the problem.

Yep - the fix has to be finding a method that allow strategically important developments to be implemented quickly without 10 years of legal arguments first.
    Parliament is sovereign. It should be possible for a Bill to be passed for a significant piece of infrastructure, and for the project to actually start within weeks. Set compulsory purchase orders at 150% or even 200% of prior market value.
    The problem isn’t the compulsory purchase. It’s the requirement for rather vaguely defined statutory obligations to be considered. Which can then be challenged and taken to court.
    And the number of vague duties and obligations is set to increase, is it not?
    Chris said:

Anyway, someone else who likes the Putinist 'no need to worry you little heads about democracy' line.

Acyn
    @Acyn
    Trump: You have to get out and vote. You won’t have to do it anymore. Four years, it will be fixed, it will be fine. You won’t have to vote anymore.. In four years, you won’t have to vote again.

Unbelievable.
    It's very believable.
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

Acyn
    @Acyn

Unbelievable.
    It's very believable.
    What's unbelievable is that people interpret such remarks as signalling a plan for a dictatorship.

When a 'normal' politician says something like "Never again will...", the implication is exactly the same but it doesn't cause any hysteria about the end of democracy.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,966
    ‘Boris Johnson was in it for himself’
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe2QFQM4YGI

A controversial take aired on Times Radio by Simon Kuper, plugging his book Good Chaps.
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

Yes - because they have no immediate cost to the people adding them in. Virtue signalling.

So you need to do a massive report on the effects of building low cost housing on equality before you can build it.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,844

NEW: A Tory MP says Priti Patel “is the Brat candidate" in the Tory leadership election

Boris Johnson is reportedly supporting her privately, with MPs across the party seeing her as both loyal and the candidate who can bring unity

#Priti4Leader

The Unity (Mitford) Candidate.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,016

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Acyn
    @Acyn

Unbelievable.
    It's very believable.
    What's unbelievable is that people interpret such remarks as signalling a plan for a dictatorship.

When a 'normal' politician says something like "Never again will...", the implication is exactly the same but it doesn't cause any hysteria about the end of democracy.
    Examples of things that are "exactly the same" as "it will be fixed... you won't have to vote again" please, or you're talking bollocks again
  • kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

Yes - because they have no immediate cost to the people adding them in. Virtue signalling.

So you need to do a massive report on the effects of building low cost housing on equality before you can build it.
    And climate change, nutrient deficiency, bats, newts and so on...

Not new. It's been rumoured for weeks. Note that Priti has not declared yet, sfaict. Come to think of it, someone said yesterday no women have declared.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,393
    kamski said:

KnightOut said:

Tom Tugendhat was labelled as the 'centrist' or 'liberal' or my favourite 'one nation' Tory but here he is standing up for the Jews at a general election hustings in a way one would normally only associate with hard right culture warriors.

https://x.com/lewisUTBdenison/status/1816503419743404219

'Hard-right culture warriors stand up for the Jews'?

Have you read any 20th century history?
    Post-war Soviet Revisionism rather than history per se.

We've allowed a specific narrative to take hold, but contemporary Western reporting of the rise of Nazism didn't generally describe it as hard or far right. Or 'right' at all. Totalitarian, Nationalistic, Fascist - it was described in many ways but not really as a position on a Left-Right spectrum.

In the years they followed it became very important for the Eastern Bloc to distance and differentiate their own brand of Authoritarianism by othering the defeated regime. Communism was already accepted as far left, so it was convenient to forge a narrative where Nazism was the opposite, and therefore 'far right', conflating that side with evil and their own with good.

It was reductive, simplistic and absolutely fucking bollocks of course, but it stuck.

History being written by the winners is nothing new, but it's interesting to see how the terminology gets retconned and how different the tone of contemporaneous accounts frequently is.

Any examples of these contemporary accounts? Hitler was supported by the right in Germany and abroad, outlawed persecuted and murdered leftwingers in Germany etc. It's news to me that calling the Nazis far right is just an invention of soviet revisionism
    Hitler was a contemporary socialist. A nationalist socialist but a socialist nonetheless.

Yes Hitler murdered leftwingers in Germany. He also murdered Jews, centrists, right wingers and anyone else who could be a threat to his regime or didn't tow the line sufficiently.

Soviet Russia and Maoist China and the Khmer Rouge also murdered a lot of leftwingers too.

The violence between branches of leftwingers whether it be between Bolsheviks and Trots or anyone else is nothing new.

The phrase "tankie" dates bank to the Soviets sending tanks to murder left wingers rising up in Hungary.

If killing leftwingers makes you far right, then Joseph Stalin must be far right too with the amount of leftwing blood he had on his hands.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,519

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

There used to be private parliamentary bills for big projects, the 19th century railways for example. The firm I trained at are Parliamentary Agents, a dying breed who sponsor what few private bills are still put forward, as well as solicitors.
    kamski said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Acyn
    @Acyn

Unbelievable.
    It's very believable.

Examples of things that are "exactly the same" as "it will be fixed... you won't have to vote again" please, or you're talking bollocks again
    There are countless examples of legislation designed to tie the hands of future governments and lock in a particular direction of travel.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,502
    F1: kudos to anyone who predicted that front row.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,648
    Nigelb said:

This is possibly the maddest idea that RFK Jnr has yet come up with.

Presidential Candidate RFK JR: "I will sign an executive order directing the US Treasury to purchase 550 Bitcoin daily until the US has built a reserve of at least 4,000,000 Bitcoins and a position of dominance that no other country will be able to usurp."
    https://x.com/AutismCapital/status/1816951410728317217

The US government could simply print the amount of dollars required to purchase the bitcoin.

Which explains in simple terms the difference between a currency with a limited supply and fixed inflation - say a gold backed one, or btc - and a fiat currency like the dollar.

For the record, I'd prefer a gold standard, but a btc backed currency would be better than the system we have now. See also https://wtfhappenedin1971.com/

kamski said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Acyn
    @Acyn

Unbelievable.
    It's very believable.

There are countless examples of legislation designed to tie the hands of future governments and lock in a particular direction of travel.
    The European Communities Act?

Brexit?

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Acyn
    @Acyn

Unbelievable.
    It's very believable.

I don't think he meant it explicitly as a sign for dictatorship as people will take it, but your response is complacent in the extreme opposite direction, given his supporters at his urging tried to prevent a transfer of power once before. That makes any suggestions he or hints he might give in that direction dangerous.

People can complain about overegging the threat Trump poses to democracy all they want, it remains the case he is some level of threat to it by his own actions and words, and the retort is basically how dare people look at what happened and draw conclusions based on it.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,295

On topic, I can't help but be reminded of the claim that the great Tom Lehrer, one of the best satarists of all time, that “Political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.”

And he is still alive iirc. Tom that is.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,303

Whichever Tory MP called her “the Brat candidate” needs to go away and hide their head in shame for the absolute cringe. Not only has “the Brat candidate” already been used about Kamala Harris, but by the actual creator of the “Brat” movement, Charlie xCX. So it’s not original or cool. Also the idea that Tories are down with the kids and all that is just so naff. They aren’t and shouldn’t be doing crap like that.

It’s also just waiting for Charlie xCX, ( young musicians not being particularly known for their appreciation of Tories, especially those Tories to the right of the party, ) to hammer the idea and the hijacking and then get loads and loads of young people ripping the shit out of the Tories.

It’s just tragic and I can see the face of the dickhead MP who said it being smiling away thinking they are cool and edgy because they know a “youth thing”.

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

None of this 2010s ‘Equality’ bollocks. EQUITY. Equal outcomes for all, with specific focus on race and gender identity.

Just what’s needed when building a bridge or a tunnel.

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

I have come to hate bats and newts with a passion. Not their fault, but the way NIMBY's co-opt them to their cause is infuriating.

Naturally, if assessments prove no newts or bats or mitigations can provide for them, their disagreement with a proposal curiously does not lessen, almost as though it's a pretext.
    boulay said:

Whichever Tory MP called her “the Brat candidate” needs to go away and hide their head in shame for the absolute cringe. Not only has “the Brat candidate” already been used about Kamala Harris, but by the actual creator of the “Brat” movement, Charlie xCX.
    Today is the first time I had ever come across it, in relation to Harris.

It sounds really dumb.

Charli told the BBC's Sidetracked podcast that brat is a concept that represents a person who might have "a pack of cigs, a Bic lighter and a strappy white top with no bra".

It has been deemed by some pop critics as a rejection of the "clean girl" aesthetic popularised on TikTok, which spurned a groomed ideal of femininity, and instead embraces more hedonistic and rebellious attitudes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cqqlgq7k374o
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,336

kamski said:

KnightOut said:

Tom Tugendhat was labelled as the 'centrist' or 'liberal' or my favourite 'one nation' Tory but here he is standing up for the Jews at a general election hustings in a way one would normally only associate with hard right culture warriors.

We've allowed a specific narrative to take hold, but contemporary Western reporting of the rise of Nazism didn't generally describe it as hard or far right. Or 'right' at all. Totalitarian, Nationalistic, Fascist - it was described in many ways but not really as a position on a Left-Right spectrum.

In the years they followed it became very important for the Eastern Bloc to distance and differentiate their own brand of Authoritarianism by othering the defeated regime. Communism was already accepted as far left, so it was convenient to forge a narrative where Nazism was the opposite, and therefore 'far right', conflating that side with evil and their own with good.

It was reductive, simplistic and absolutely fucking bollocks of course, but it stuck.

History being written by the winners is nothing new, but it's interesting to see how the terminology gets retconned and how different the tone of contemporaneous accounts frequently is.

Any examples of these contemporary accounts? Hitler was supported by the right in Germany and abroad, outlawed persecuted and murdered leftwingers in Germany etc. It's news to me that calling the Nazis far right is just an invention of soviet revisionism
    Hitler was a contemporary socialist. A nationalist socialist but a socialist nonetheless.

Yes Hitler murdered leftwingers in Germany. He also murdered Jews, centrists, right wingers and anyone else who could be a threat to his regime or didn't tow the line sufficiently.

Soviet Russia and Maoist China and the Khmer Rouge also murdered a lot of leftwingers too.

The violence between branches of leftwingers whether it be between Bolsheviks and Trots or anyone else is nothing new.

The phrase "tankie" dates bank to the Soviets sending tanks to murder left wingers rising up in Hungary.

If killing leftwingers makes you far right, then Joseph Stalin must be far right too with the amount of leftwing blood he had on his hands.
    I accept the politics horseshoe theory of course but you have to stretch credibility a bit to claim Hitler was a left-winger.

Were the Nazis not fascists or are fascists not right-wing in your opinion?
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

I have come to hate bats and newts with a passion. Not their fault, but the way NIMBY's co-opt them to their cause is infuriating.

Naturally, if assessments prove no newts or bats or mitigations can provide for them, their disagreement with a proposal curiously does not lessen, almost as though it's a pretext.
    I posted the other day about an idiot NIMBY who got caught dumping newts in a puddle on a planned construction site. Non native species and they all died…

Apparently it is really unfair that she is being looked at for prosecution.

kamski said:

KnightOut said:

I accept the politics horseshoe theory of course but you have to stretch credibility a bit to claim Hitler was a left-winger.
    I think the main takeaway from horseshoe theory is that left and right wing labels are at a certain point irrelevant, so for extreme cases it's pretty pointless apart from assessing their purported motivations (if sincere).

I'm baffled how many people still object to the idea mostly by pointing to the supposed goals of the left and right, ignoring the whole point is whatever they might claim they end up doing similar things..
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,280

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

I know this is your field, but I both agree and disagree with this. There is part of me that suspects that this whole project is an English Heritage-led scheme to "reconnect Stonehenge to the ancient landscape". Sorry, I meant an English Heritage-led scheme to "prevent plebs from seeing Stonehenge from the road, and turn Stonehenge into even more of a disappointing tourist trap."

On the other hand, the entire landscape around Stonehenge has been fairly well trashed by man in the last few hundred years. Go back a hundred years, and there was an airfield right next to it. I don't think the currently-planned road scheme will cause anywhere near as much damage as some claim. Archaeologists themselves seem fairly split on it.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/history-and-stories/first-world-war-aerodrome/
    edited July 27

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

I posted the other day about an idiot NIMBY who got caught dumping newts in a puddle on a planned construction site. Non native species and they all died…

Apparently it is really unfair that she is being looked at for prosecution.
    Shades of the JustStopOil "Look at these middle class white people in cuddly sweaters, how could they deserve to go prison?" crowd, which always comes across as vaguely offensive to me.

The other bugbear with all these things in planning is that, of course, no amount of info or consultation is ever enough - it is just met with a) we don't trust the developers/experts b) there might be something if we look even more

Developers take the piss a lot in their own way, and I hate the way the public's default positions still make me side with the developers.
    edited July 27

kamski said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Acyn
    @Acyn

Unbelievable.
    It's very believable.

As @DougSeal indicates, a private bill can override the lot. (it would need to explicitily state that it overrides anything in the Human Rights Act, Climate Change Act, Equality act etc, to avoid legal challenge under the case law in the Metric Martyrs case where the Justices invented "constitutional acts of parliament and claimed they could only be explicitly not implicitly repealed by later primary legislation).

(As can any other primary act of parliament)

I doubt Starmer would get such an attempt through even with his majority though. It would be vapours all round.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

Friend of mine has found newts have moved into her pond. Wondering about mowing the lawn now.

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

That bird flew away when they made the A303 the Trunk Road instead of the A30 in roughly 1958 and spent the next sixty years rebuilding it as a high speed dual expressway for most of the next 30 miles either side - except for a short bit at Stonehenge (and benighted Winterbourne Stoke).

If they can this no alternative will happen for a generation as a major project from scratch will be needed and Tories will do a 2015 in a swaythe of the SW in 2029.
    I disagree. It is entirely possible to develop a sensible plan for a new dual carriageway that does not impinge onb the World Heritage Site. It is lack of will and local opposition that prevents it.

The only thing going about this current project is it is not the stupid cut and cover version that was originally planned. But it is entirely possible to either extend the tunnel, placing the entrances away from sensitive archaological sites (like Blick Mead which, whilst not as spectacular as Stonehenge is probably more important in terms of actual archaeology than the stones) or to build a proper bypass further away.

Yep. Well into his 90s by now. But what an amazing life.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    edited July 27

kamski said:

KnightOut said:

You would expect a communist dictator in a world war to seize the opportunity to nationalise the means of production. Hitler afaik was content to deal at arms length on commercial terms with the nice blokes at Farben AGmand the rest. Looks like capitalism to me.

kamski said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Acyn
    @Acyn

Unbelievable.
    It's very believable.

I'm sure, but they are not examples of politicians telling people "you won't have to vote again"

You aren't stupid, so please so stop being so disingenuous.

Of course you can interpret Trump's remarks in different ways. Maybe he meant "I'm not going to be on the ballot again so there's no point voting"
    edited July 27

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

I disagree. It is entirely possible to develop a sensible plan for a new dual carriageway that does not impinge onb the World Heritage Site. It is lack of will and local opposition that prevents it.

The only thing going about this current project is it is not the stupid cut and cover version that was originally planned. But it is entirely possible to either extend the tunnel, placing the entrances away from sensitive archaological sites (like Blick Mead which, whilst not as spectacular as Stonehenge is probably more important in terms of actual archaeology than the stones) or to build a proper bypass further away.
    In Engineering terms, Yes, in getting it past wealthy nimbies no. Thats why there is no A36 Salisbury Bypass.

The one thing Stonehenge has got going for it is that no one has lived there for about 5,000 years.

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

It may be 'entirely possible', but at what cost? It's already a mahoosively expensive scheme.

Which bring us to perhaps the central question: how much is archaeology 'worth'?

(I'm not saying I have an asnwer.)

kamski said:

KnightOut said:

Hitler wasn't a socialist.

The rest of your post is equally moronic.
  • kamski said:

kamski said:

KnightOut said:

He even had the word Socialist in the Party Name.

If you want to see modern National Socialism in action, go to China.

Yep. Well into his 90s by now. But what an amazing life.
    Radio interview, IIRC, not long ago.
    edited July 27
    Sandpit said:

If this means that balancing the books is being prioritised, then good.
    edited July 27

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

It may be 'entirely possible', but at what cost? It's already a mahoosively expensive scheme.

Which bring us to perhaps the central question: how much is archaeology 'worth'?

To be honest if they had come up with a proper scheme in the first place it would already be done and would have cost no where near as much as it has done/will do.

And I would suggest that, whilst there is a price that can be put on all archaeology, just as there is a price that can be put on human lives when deciding on road improvements, we have already pretty much said that the Stonehenge area is priceless by designating it as a World Heritage site. There is, as far as I know, no higher status that can be awarded.
    England lead in the Test Match. No-one thought that likely last night.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,472
    ‘You won’t like me when I’m angry!’

‘Don’t like you the rest of the time mate.’

kamski said:

KnightOut said:

The Nazis (and other Fascists) explicitly co-opted various pro-working class policies from socialism. Raising and maintaining workers standard of living was a major Nazi policy* - Hitler believed that it was critical to keeping national morale high. And that falling living standards had caused a part of the collapse in WWI.

See the various plans for mass holiday resorts, cheap cars for the masses, mandating better workplace conditions.

The also employed planned economy policies and state ownership and/or control of the “commanding heights” of the economy. Again, a major Nazi concept was that they would use socialist methods if that was what was needed in their view.

Something that is not often understood is that the Fascists hated free market economics. When they talked of the evils of capitalism, they were talking of stock markets and “high finance”. The Nazis then added in the idea that “high finance” was controlled by the Jews.

What they didn’t mind was big companies (such as Krupp) - as long as they made the products required by the state, used the raw materials from sources approved by the state, charged prices set by the state, employed those who the state wanted employed, had representatives of the state on the board. Oh, and paid bribes to all the right people in the state. Apart from that, big business was free to do what they wanted….

*yes, as with all totalitarian state polices, containing large quantity of lies and bullshit.

kamski said:

kamski said:

KnightOut said:

He even had the word Socialist in the Party Name.

If you want to see modern National Socialism in action, go to China.
    Right and the GDR was democratic too
    England somehow ahead, having been 115/5 this morning.

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

I know this is your field, but I both agree and disagree with this. There is part of me that suspects that this whole project is an English Heritage-led scheme to "reconnect Stonehenge to the ancient landscape". Sorry, I meant an English Heritage-led scheme to "prevent plebs from seeing Stonehenge from the road, and turn Stonehenge into even more of a disappointing tourist trap."

On the other hand, the entire landscape around Stonehenge has been fairly well trashed by man in the last few hundred years. Go back a hundred years, and there was an airfield right next to it. I don't think the currently-planned road scheme will cause anywhere near as much damage as some claim. Archaeologists themselves seem fairly split on it.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/history-and-stories/first-world-war-aerodrome/
    Just build a bloody road, as Richard says.
    A tunnel is just daft; we're no longer living in a world of zero interest rates where our government borrowing was substantially below 100% of GDP.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,856

To be fair, “Tommeh” got quite an impressive crowd into Trafalgar Sq. Normally it’s about 103 saddos with enormous beer guts

He’s claiming “100,000” and I rather doubt that - but it’s definitely a large crowd - tens of thousands?
    edited July 27

Is it just me, or the tight jeans suggest a common symptom of steroid abuse?
    Sandpit said:

England somehow ahead, having been 115/5 this morning.

Joint third in the Olympics medal table as well.

Should we be more afraid of giants abusing steroids or the cloning programme he's revealed?
    kamski said:

kamski said:

KnightOut said:

He absolutely was - economically - a socialist, and wanted state control of major industries for the benefit of the average German. That’s why he commandeered the NSDAP, the National Socialist German WORKER”s Party. Remember the Volkswagen - the PEOPLE’s car

Economically his policies were quite similar to, say, Chinese communism now - ie state directed capitalism, with the state very much in ultimate control

In other arenas he was a genocidal, fascistic racist lunatic, and in a few niche subjects he was positively Green

kamski said:

KnightOut said:

The Nazis (and other Fascists) explicitly co-opted various pro-working class policies from socialism. Raising and maintaining workers standard of living was a major Nazi policy* - Hitler believed that it was critical to keeping national morale high. And that falling living standards had caused a part of the collapse in WWI.

See the various plans for mass holiday resorts, cheap cars for the masses, mandating better workplace conditions.

The also employed planned economy policies and state ownership and/or control of the “commanding heights” of the economy. Again, a major Nazi concept was that they would use socialist methods if that was what was needed in their view.

Something that is not often understood is that the Fascists hated free market economics. When they talked of the evils of capitalism, they were talking of stock markets and “high finance”. The Nazis then added in the idea that “high finance” was controlled by the Jews.

What they didn’t mind was big companies (such as Krupp) - as long as they made the products required by the state, used the raw materials from sources approved by the state, charged prices set by the state, employed those who the state wanted employed, had representatives of the state on the board. Oh, and paid bribes to all the right people in the state. Apart from that, big business was free to do what they wanted….

*yes, as with all totalitarian state polices, containing large quantity of lies and bullshit.
    Yes, quite so. For Hitler liberal capitalism and the free market = England, America and, overall, the Jews
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Balancing the books is done by looking hard at current spending, rather than investment spending. Doing it the other way around is why the last government was so unpopular.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

Friend of mine has found newts have moved into her pond. Wondering about mowing the lawn now.
    Isn't this risking becoming the PB hate du jour? Only *one* species of newt is protected in the UK, the Great Crested Newt.

Newts are common, generally. Be surprised if they *didn't* move into a pond.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,343
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Balancing the books is done by looking hard at current spending, rather than investment spending. Doing it the other way around is why the last government was so unpopular.
    And then prioritising the wrong projects - HS2 is essential, the Lower Thames Crossing essential, Stonehenge not as important.
    edited July 27
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

Isn't this risking becoming the PB hate du jour? Only *one* species of newt is protected in the UK, the Great Crested Newt.

It's the people abusing the good name of the Great Crested Newt to protect some worthless scrubland or town adjacent field and pond I dislike!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,480
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

It's the people abusing the good name of the Great Crested Newt to protect some worthless scrubland or town adjacent field and pond I dislike!
    I Fink Not All NIMBYs are like that.
    edited July 27
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

A tunnel is just daft; we're no longer living in a world of zero interest rates where our government borrowing was substantially below 100% of GDP.
    The other issue is that Stonehenge Tunnel is ready to go with various enabling works underway already.

Change it and you have a decade of planning, design, legal challenges, equality impact assessments and about £300 million to pay for it before you turn a spade.

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,736
    edited July 27
    FPT

Sorry, @Cookie , I asked you a question yesterday then vanished like Boris being asked a question that isn't "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi? etc".
    Cookie said:

MattW said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

tripli-dolphin.

Two of my daughters will happily do 10 miles or more on a bike without complaint ‐ my youngest will probably start to wilt after 5. Which is still probably better than I would have done at her age!
    What are their ages?
    14, 12 and 9.
    I was about to mention the possibility of hiring a cargo or e-cargo bike in the Netherlands, or a dad + kid standard cycle one, which would let you take the kids further.

But if they were 18, 17 and 24 it might be questionable.

It should work well for Sproglet 3, should you be so inclined.

All everyday Dutch bikes such as Omafiets tend to be passenger-hop-on capable; ironic that that are all copies of an English Tourer circa 1900, but probably not for a family country ride. Slow but steady.
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

Yes; not entirely serious. Also I suspect my friend was looking for an excuse!
  • TresTres Posts: 2,621

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Acyn
    @Acyn

Unbelievable.
    It's very believable.

Have you forgotten 6 Jan already? Sheesh.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,303
    What is it with sports directors for tv who think we want to see nice shots of Paris or the crowd rather than the actual sport - especially as it comes to the end……
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,472
    How many times has Vance changed his name? Always a bit of a sign of a wrong ‘un imo.

https://x.com/waitmanb/status/1817141371255296299?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
    edited July 27

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

The other issue is that Stonehenge Tunnel is ready to go with various enabling works underway already.

Change it and you have a decade of planning, design, legal challenges, equality impact assessments and about £300 million to pay for it before you turn a spade.

This is one that I would not mind being gummed up and going nowhere for a decade or three, so crass is it.
  • MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

This is one that I would not mind being gummed up and going nowhere for a decade or three.
    You obviously don't have to drive that way very often.

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

Yes; not entirely serious. Also I suspect my friend was looking for an excuse!
    Friend of mine had his young children move newts into the ponds on his side-field when they were under-10, and 25 years later wanted to build his retirement house on it !

They did, but there were a lot of requirements such as newt-fences.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,343

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

It's too expensive - and it's too close to Stonehenge - I'm more than happy for it to be delayed and redesigned..
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

It's too expensive - and it's too close to Stonehenge - I'm more than happy for it to be delayed and redesigned..
    Have you seen where the A303 is currently?

Just get it done ffs.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,895
    Oh dear, poor Tom.
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

Well you have to either dual the A303 or build the tunnel. It was one of the country’s biggest bottlenecks two decades ago.
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

This is one that I would not mind being gummed up and going nowhere for a decade or three, so crass is it.
    In what way is it crass?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    Am I the only one who'd build it straight through Stonehenge?
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

Well you have to either dual the A303 or build the tunnel. It was one of the country’s biggest bottlenecks two decades ago.
    Indeed. Intrigued to know how a @eek thinks a redesign at this stage will help his "too expensive" concern.

Am I the only one who'd build it straight through Stonehenge?

Probably.
    edited July 27

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

To be honest if they had come up with a proper scheme in the first place it would already be done and would have cost no where near as much as it has done/will do.

And I would suggest that, whilst there is a price that can be put on all archaeology, just as there is a price that can be put on human lives when deciding on road improvements, we have already pretty much said that the Stonehenge area is priceless by designating it as a World Heritage site. There is, as far as I know, no higher status that can be awarded.
    'Priceless' ?

English Heritage say quite the opposite, considering how much they charge for access to a poor visitor experience... ;)

But in all seriousness: the road currently runs close by it. I really find it hard to believe that removing the road from the landscape is going to destroy the area around Stonehenge from a World Heritage POV. The removal of the other road, that ran nearer (*) to Stonehenge (in fact, right by it) enhanced the landscape, did it not.

And as I said in my other post: it's surprising how much the area has been altered in recent centuries. Not just the airfield, either. If you look at that link I gave earlier, and move the slider, you can see just how much the stones themselves have changed, with many being re-erected within living memory. I'm always bemused that these 'renovations' are seen as acceptable, and the stones should be taken down to how they were before...

(*) And, of course, had EH rubbing their hands with glee...
    Jamie Smith you idiot.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,480
    Andy_JS said:
    I wonder if Gus Atkinson is quietly pleased with that ball...
This discussion has been closed.