Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

I feel sorry for Armando Iannucci and satirists everywhere – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• KennethKenneth Posts: 40

Looks like wherever Leon is staying serves Absinthe at a reasonable price.

No wonder there are bars on the windows,

Leon has disappeared now. No need for him when i rehash his talking points. Hes silently nodding in agreement.
  • Point of order. Are you able to see who likes/flags posts or is it anonymous?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

really do think that Alexander 'Boris' Johnson should be prepared to debate his attitude towards the Ukraine war with an opponent.

https://x.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1817147457949536469

Why?
    AFAIAA, he holds no government or Party position, but is a private citizen.
    What kind of society do you envisage where any one of us can be ordered to debate on the say so of another?
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 388
    edited July 27
    Kenneth does tell us one thing;

Russia's exclusion from the Olympics has really got to them.

They're becoming ever more insular. Projecting their perversions and insecurities ever harder onto us.

They're hurting.

Whatever we're doing is working.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,097
    edited July 27
    Sandpit said:

Kenneth said:

If rcs promises not to ban me i wont mention the paris olympics again. Hows that.

Not out.
    And he’s out!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,295
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    46m
    One thing about Trump's current mad statements on voting. There's a narrative he's been rattled by Harris entry into the race. I think it's the opposite. He's too cocky. He thinks he's already got the election in the bag. And that might just present her with an opportunity.

https://x.com/DPJHodges/status/1817151550239670404
  • Sandpit said:

And he’s out!

40 isn't a bad innings for a troll.

Although I'm 99% sure he is a sockpuppet of one of us.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 134
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Kenneth said:

If rcs promises not to ban me i wont mention the paris olympics again. Hows that.

Not out.
    And he’s out!
    Bazball.
  • Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Kenneth said:

Not out.
    And he’s out!
    Bazball.
    It was rather an enjoyable interlude. A bit like a hopeless batter coming in, swinging wildly at the fast bowler and getting a top edge for 6 sailing over the wicketkeepers head.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,379

They're becoming ever more insular. Projecting their perversions and insecurities ever harder onto us.

They're hurting.

And given that the header is about how hard it is to out-satirise "reality", it even managed to be on-topic.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,472
    edited July 27

They're hurting.

Well if there's one PBer who is very much about projecting their perversions and insecurities...
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,505

They're hurting.

I don’t think he’s Russian or ever been there.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,970

Strange that on the one measure they can't avoid being open about their economy doesn't look too great.
    It is why there is a massive consumer boom in Russia now. Everyone is trying to get rid of their Roubles before the collapse comes. There are some horrible noises coming from under the bonnet of the Russian economy at the moment. The pressure is finally beginning to cause serious damage. 400Rb / Dollar exchange incoming fast
    Women’s 3 metre synchronised diving gets Team GB their first medal of the Olympics, congratulations to Yasmin Harper and Scarlett Mew Jensen on their bronze, first GB women’s diving medal for 64 years!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2024/07/27/paris-2024-day-1-live-latest-updates-olympics/
  • I feel deflated now. A bit like after a really funny comedy show ends.

At least I won't get any more funny looks from my wife, teenage daughters and sundry other pax on the train to London for periodic spontaneous stifled laughter
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,966

Kenneth's opinion aside, the opening ceremony seems to have been a load of old shite for the most part - I didn't watch it, going off SM and PB commentary. Oh well.

What was the relevance of Lady Gaga and Celine Dion to Paris ?
    Or Serena Williams and Roger Federer. Hard to say. Because Paris combined the athletes' parade and opening ceremony, and the rain meant the Seine did not shimmer and that national team outfits were hidden, the whole thing came off as a rather disjointed sketch show, and really that was the best part about it because if you did not like one performance, there'd be another one along in a minute.
    edited July 27

They're hurting.

Lost even the internal consistency. The lack of understanding of Britain is becoming ever more embarrassing.
    My favourite was the bit about how we should all be Christian and therefore athletes should hold
    icons.
    That'd go down great in certain of our Christian demographics.
  • dixiedean said:

They're hurting.

Lost even the internal consistency. The lack of understanding of Britain is becoming ever more embarrassing.
    Loved the bit about how we should all be Christian and therefore athletes should hold
    icons.
    dixiedean said:

They're hurting.

Loved the bit about how we should all be Christian and therefore athletes should hold
    icons.
    never, Never, NEVER!

I feel deflated now. A bit like after a really funny comedy show ends.

At least I won't get any more funny looks from my wife, teenage daughters and sundry other pax on the train to London for periodic spontaneous stifled laughter

Have four minutes of fast-paced American comic Andrew Schulz, roasting the last fortnight in American politics and being an equal opportunity offender of everyone.

https://x.com/andrewschulz/status/1816151001092780497
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

Point of order. Are you able to see who likes/flags posts or is it anonymous?

LIkes are visible, flags anonymous - at least on the PC version, dunno about the mobey version.

Just mouse over the "[thumbs up] like" and you'll get a wee list, or none at all if everyone does a 黙殺.
    Anyway, someone else who likes the Putinist 'no need to worry you little heads about democracy' line.

Acyn
    @Acyn
    Trump: You have to get out and vote. You won’t have to do it anymore. Four years, it will be fixed, it will be fine. You won’t have to vote anymore.. In four years, you won’t have to vote again.

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1817007890496102490
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,505

Anyway, someone else who likes the Putinist 'no need to worry you little heads about democracy' line.

Acyn
    @Acyn
    Trump: You have to get out and vote. You won’t have to do it anymore. Four years, it will be fixed, it will be fine. You won’t have to vote anymore.. In four years, you won’t have to vote again.

People need to decide whether they think Trump is too old or whether he’ll be in power forever if he wins.
  • Carnyx said:

LIkes are visible, flags anonymous - at least on the PC version, dunno about the mobey version.

Just mouse over the "[thumbs up] like" and you'll get a wee list, or none at all if everyone does a 黙殺.
    Thanks. Switched from Mobile to desktop version and all is revealed.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,502
    F1: rain, so no bet. Qualifying could be interesting. Hoping McLaren do well.

https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2024/07/belgium-pre-qualifying-2024.html

Acyn
    @Acyn

People need to decide whether they think Trump is too old or whether he’ll be in power forever if he wins.
    Trump's too old and if he gets his way the fruit of his loins and/or his world view will be in power for a long time if he wins.

Acyn
    @Acyn

What showed everyone (including Biden) that he was past it was his having to campaign again... the hours and exposure are brutal.

Take that constraint away, as despots do, and they can stay in office until (and possibly beyond) death.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 134
    The BBC Olympic coverage is more talking heads than action. They have been relegated to minor players
    Eurosport has more action, and Discovery + has the say in who can show which sport.
    Carnyx said:

OK. That's Japanese. Was confused. It's "almost" silence followed by murder in Chinese.
    Is that a common phrase?

edited July 27
    Presumably Professor Snyder is now going to be persona non grata with the weird 'Trump will be good for Ukraine' sect.

Timothy Snyder
    @TimothyDSnyder
    If you ever want to vote again, if you want to live in a country where one day your children and grandchildren can vote, you need to vote for Harris this November.

The BBC Olympic coverage is more talking heads than action. They have been relegated to minor players
    Eurosport has more action, and Discovery + has the say in who can show which sport.

Bet the BBC wins the who can mention the Team GB medal tally & associated speculation the most times an hour though.
    edited July 27
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

OK. That's Japanese. Was confused. It's "almost" silence followed by murder in Chinese.
    Is that a common phrase?

Quite famous, actually! At least in WW2 history circles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokusatsu
  • eekeek Posts: 27,343

Bet the BBC wins the who can mention the Team GB medal tally & associated speculation the most times an hour though.
    It's £3.99 to get a Discovery + subscription though so about half a pint of beer to watch it for 2 weeks.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,301

Fewer cheerleaders and more analysis would be welcome. They had some ex diver on this morning saying the Brits were amazing and weren’t even considering the Chinese as rivals. Chinese promptly went and smashed everyone else.

It’s no doubt difficult but sometimes doesn’t work when they have guests who are possibly still too close to the team that they can’t be fully objective. I guess it’s not easy to get experts in some of the fringe sports but maybe train the guest experts a bit first.

Michael Johnson is fantastic for the reason he’s not a Brit, been out of the sport long enough to be able to call things professionally, technically and pretty dispassionately.

So much for the poor old UK. Yet again.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,653

They're hurting.

I don’t think he’s Russian or ever been there.
    100% not Russian, these guys never are.
    edited July 27

F2 race delayed by weather at Spa. It isn’t getting any better, could be a long afternoon or even qualifying tomorrow morning. Properly p!ssing down at the moment.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,463
    boulay said:

Fewer cheerleaders and more analysis would be welcome. They had some ex diver on this morning saying the Brits were amazing and weren’t even considering the Chinese as rivals. Chinese promptly went and smashed everyone else.

It’s no doubt difficult but sometimes doesn’t work when they have guests who are possibly still too close to the team that they can’t be fully objective. I guess it’s not easy to get experts in some of the fringe sports but maybe train the guest experts a bit first.

Michael Johnson is fantastic for the reason he’s not a Brit, been out of the sport long enough to be able to call things professionally, technically and pretty dispassionately.
    To be fair to the diving commentator lady I think what she was saying was that the Chinese were far too good the British to consider rivalling them. (Agree with the general point though)
    PAY TO PLAY Final two Tory leadership hopefuls face £200k fee to run sparking fears of cash-for-favours row
    The four contenders making it to party conference will be hit with a £50k fee, while the final two must fork out an additional £150k

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/29496030/tory-leadership-race-money-contest/
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Is that a common phrase?

Interesting. Never heard of that.
    There's a similar story about the mistranslation of 華 which led to war between the British Empire and Imperial China.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hua–Yi_distinction#:~:text=Although Yi is usually translated,adopting their culture and customs.

There's a Reddit thread about it here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/history/comments/cjso4r/a_mistranslation_of_the_chinese_term_yi_was_a_key/
    edited July 27

PAY TO PLAY Final two Tory leadership hopefuls face £200k fee to run sparking fears of cash-for-favours row
    The four contenders making it to party conference will be hit with a £50k fee, while the final two must fork out an additional £150k

Are the party coffers so empty that they can’t afford to run the contest?

The outgoing leader should put his hand in his very deep pocket to pay for it.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,855
    Me?

Oh I’m just having a very late breakfast on the riverbank outside my modest new home. My apartment is the first floor of the towered palace

• Sandpit said:

One way to ensure that a wealthy wet either wins or controls who does win.

What a ghastly rabble.
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Is that a common phrase?

Interesting. Never heard of that.
    There's a similar story about the mistranslation of 華 which led to war between the British Empire and Imperial China.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hua–Yi_distinction#:~:text=Although Yi is usually translated,adopting their culture and customs.

There's a Reddit thread about it here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/history/comments/cjso4r/a_mistranslation_of_the_chinese_term_yi_was_a_key/
    Edit.
    Obviously everyone has spotted my fat finger mistake. It should, of course be 夷.
    boulay said:

Kenneth's opinion aside, the opening ceremony seems to have been a load of old shite for the most part - I didn't watch it, going off SM and PB commentary. Oh well.

I guess the French don’t have any globally recognised music stars - daft punk have split up and Christine and the Queens are more niche - so they needed someone. At least Celine is French Canadian I suppose.
    The ceremony revealed the striking moribundity of modern French culture. There really isn’t much

They are brilliant at towns, roundabouts, trains and cheese

Less good at crisps, meals, and any contemporary culture of note
    Sandpit said:

Yep - they've just had a general election where it was clear that money was in short supply.
    Leon said:

boulay said:

I guess the French don’t have any globally recognised music stars - daft punk have split up and Christine and the Queens are more niche - so they needed someone. At least Celine is French Canadian I suppose.
    The ceremony revealed the striking moribundity of modern French culture. There really isn’t much

They are brilliant at towns, roundabouts, trains and cheese

Less good at crisps, meals, and any contemporary culture of note
    Put like that, seems like a fair swap.

Sandpit said:

What a ghastly rabble.
    Why? Are there no wealthy sound right wingers any more? Or just none prepared to stump up the cash?
    Leon said:

Me?

Oh I’m just having a very late breakfast on the riverbank outside my modest new home. My apartment is the first floor of the towered palace

Your daily reminder that @Malmesbury believes it is perfectly predictable - indeed normal - that my chambered suite in that 16th century palace on the Lot should cost £62 a night on a weekend in late July
    This is a farce, the women’s time trial has started and the bbc are showing highlights of the men’s hockey on the stream offering the time trial live. When I wanted to watch the hockey this morning I went on the stream that said it was showing the hockey live only to get badminton.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,516

Sandpit said:

What a ghastly rabble.
    Why? Are there no wealthy sound right wingers any more? Or just none prepared to stump up the cash?
    What the actual fuck is this story? Since when did you need to pay a fee?

Sandpit said:

What a ghastly rabble.
    Since the Tory Party ran out of cash?
    Just the system to ensure the candidates are in touch with regular concerns.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,251
    Leon said:

Me?

Very noomy.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,498

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

If Tugendhat the answer, what on Earth is the question.

'who is the least crazy candidate for the Tory leadership?'
    Cleverly, I suppose.
    At best there are just one or two long routes that eventually lead back to power one day, numerous routes going nowhere and far too many that would take the Tories to oblivion.

The trick the Tories have to manage now is to ignore their current instincts, remember who they once were, not get tempted by maga and avoid the latter.

Tough. Cleverly might buy them time.
    Continuing your trend of offering the opposite of good advice I see.

Labour will put the right back in contention - they're already shooting themselves in the foot and they've been in Government for weeks. They're going to be disastrously unpopular - an exemplar of all the worst anti-quality-of-life policies on everything that the rest of the world is currently moving away from.

What the Tories need to do is make sure that they're the ones who the public turns to as the alternative, at least the majority - some Reform presence in unwinnable red wall seats is not undesirable.
    Smelling a tad complacent there.
    Not at all. I would prefer them not to ruin Britain - I have no allegiance to a rosette. But they are quite determined to put in place policies that will earn them a pat on the back from Klaus Schwab but go down like a bucket of sick with the electorate. The Tories need to oppose them clearly, professionally, and distinctively from Reform but not let Reform have all the space to the right of Lenin. Then they'll get back in.
    Being professional (quite a leap) and being distinctive (defeating) Reform are necessary, but insufficient to win power. Assuming that your opponent will let you win is a complacent strategy.

The fact you can only define a space to the right of Lenin is the hint of the problem. Who are the Tories and what are they for? It’s not clear right now. Are they conservatives or are they populist maga? Do they care about protecting the environment? Or are they drill baby drill? Do they care about individual liberty or are they social conservatives? Do they follow Thatcher or Truss when it comes to sound money?
    I'm sorry, but 'defeating Reform' the way you envisage it is your political dream, not plausible electoral advice for a right of centre party. Should Labour concentrate their firepower on 'defeating the Lib Dems'? Of course not. The parties are broadly similar in outlook and can reach seats that the other cannot. The same is true for the Tories and Reform. I wish people here would stop dressing up their own political cheerleading as dispassionate analysis. It isn't.

Labour hasn't got the Tories in remotely the policy squeeze you seem to believe they have. Net Zero is a patently absurd policy of economic self-harm that doesn't actually result in the world's 'net' emissions coming down at all. 2 seconds on a doorstep to demolish that one, if the person isn't already fuming about it. Then you have immigration. Nuff said. Then you have culture issues, where your lot is on the side of male rugby players bashing women out of the way and male rapists being put in women's prisons. Then you have taxation, where they're about to try and tax people till the pips squeak rather than find a single Government efficiency. It is Labour who have put *themselves* in a policy straitjacket of the worst kind, because SKS has agreed in chummy conversations with like-minded world leaders to pursue policies that will actively harm British peoples' living standards, and will then try and sell this turd to people as good government. The Tories just need to be OK and not be you.
    Except that the Tories getting back to “just being OK” is at least a decade-long project.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,356
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

What a ghastly rabble.
    To ensure the candidates are able to squeeze cash out of Tory donors, I suspect.
    If the party is to survive, it’s possibly not a ridiculous test.

Sandpit said:

What a ghastly rabble.
    Someone has to pay for all this stuff. If the party has maxed out its credit card, failed to fix the roof while the Sun was shining... Who should pay?

Sandpit said:

What a ghastly rabble.
    Since the party ran out of money.
    It doesn’t have a Tice, currently

Sandpit said:

What a ghastly rabble.
    Someone has to pay for all this stuff. If the party has maxed out its credit card, failed to fix the roof while the Sun was shining... Who should pay?
    It's nice to see that their ran the party bank account / budget the same way they ran the country's budget (i.e. scarily badly),
    boulay said:

This is a farce, the women’s time trial has started and the bbc are showing highlights of the men’s hockey on the stream offering the time trial live. When I wanted to watch the hockey this morning I went on the stream that said it was showing the hockey live only to get badminton.

As I pointed out earlier - Discovery Plus has everything for £3.99...
    edited July 27
    Sandpit said:

F2 race delayed by weather at Spa. It isn’t getting any better, could be a long afternoon or even qualifying tomorrow morning. Properly p!ssing down at the moment.
    Well after 45 minutes of grid squatting, and no window left before F1 qualifying, the F2 race is postponed.

This guy wins the best dressed fan award, for what’s being referred to as the “Hamilton Hide” https://x.com/f1/status/1817145640817725867
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

What a ghastly rabble.
    The problem for the punter is we need to guess somehow which candidates have enough rich friends to put their names forward. The problem for the KGB, CIA and Mossad is they've only got a fortnight to set up an untraceable front organisation, sorry, thinktank, in Tufton Street to stump up the cash.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,903
    dixiedean said:

Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

really do think that Alexander 'Boris' Johnson should be prepared to debate his attitude towards the Ukraine war with an opponent.

Why?
    What kind of society do you envisage where any one of us can be ordered to debate on the say so of another?
    Indeed. A weird post made weirder by the "Alexander 'Boris' Johnson" usage.
    Leon said:

Me?

Nothing says France like a tin of Coke and half-eaten pork pie.

Curious addition. I'm sure they can get the donors to afford it, but ability to wrangle donors for cash feels more american than British.

Leon said:

Me?

Maybe the book is French?
    Cooper would be an interesting pick.

I think the Democrats have a chance in N Carolina - and his being in his mid 60s means he doesn’t threaten any of the younger contenders for President after Harris.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4795393-harris-veepstakes-reaches-fever-pitch/

It’s not a bad article assessing the pros and cons of the half dozen in contention - though it ought to have included Whitmer.

Sandpit said:

What a ghastly rabble.
    Isn't that what selling peerages is for? Granted they will have fewer to barter off in future.

Sandpit said:

What a ghastly rabble.
    All the dues from the many local councillors they have....ah.
    I see that Kenneth from Moscow was on the site earlier.
    It seems that the cycle route is rather more slippery than riders were expecting - one has just crashed / slid off twice.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 27
    I see that Alexander Waugh, son of Auberon and Grandson of Evelyn has sadly died aged only 60 (from Prostate Cancer)

https://dailysceptic.org/2024/07/27/three-generations-of-waughfare-alexander-waugh-1963-2024/
  • kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

Why?
    It is a Hitchens hobbyhorse. Apparently as well as being his real name it is the name he uses and is known by by friends and family with Boris just being a stage name.

Poor old Gideon/George Osborne has the opposite problem.

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

Why?
    It is a Hitchens hobbyhorse. Apparently as well as being his real name it is the name he uses and is known by by friends and family with Boris just being a stage name.

I've heard the 'stage name' attack before but it is just petty and pathetic. He is not the first or last politician, actor, or other person who is known by one name even if they use others in different situations, so harping on about it is just silly, I really don't get what the Hitchens of the world think they are proving by doing it.
    A good day to bury bad news?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/27/rachel-reeves-delay-flagship-hospital-road-building/

Rachel Reeves to delay flagship hospital and road-building projects
    Stonehenge tunnel and the Lower Thames Crossing could be under threat following an ‘audit’ of the Government’s economic inheritance
    Ha. Some guy’s job today has been to stand there and hold Lycra clad women’s arses whilst they wait to start the time trial. Not all heroes wear capes.
    edited July 27
    While if I was running a book I would have Leon as hot favourite to be @Kenneth, it does occur to me that the writing style is a little like our esteemed editor @TSE , who wrote this thread on political satire.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,519
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

Why?

I've heard the 'stage name' attack before but it is just petty and pathetic. He is not the first or last politician, actor, or other person who is known by one name even if they use others in different situations, so harping on about it is just silly, I really don't get what the Hitchens of the world think they are proving by doing it.
    Johnson fans get irrationally pissed off when he’s referred to by his surname just like every other fucking politician rather than his preferred Christian name.
  • Sandpit said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/27/rachel-reeves-delay-flagship-hospital-road-building/

Stonehenge tunnel and the Lower Thames Crossing could be under threat following an ‘audit’ of the Government’s economic inheritance

Stonehenge Tunnel Delayed? That does it. May it never be glad confident morning again for them.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

Why?

In Hitchens case, other than the sort of disaproval using a name not on your birth certificate would attract from a Prep school teacher, he is doing so to illustrate the point that the name, like the blokey man of the people with touseled hair act, is just that. An act by an ambitious liberal elitist. Well perhaps, but BJ is a more complex character than that.

Sandpit said:

Stonehenge Tunnel Delayed? That does it. May it never be glad confident morning again for them.
    Stonehenge Tunnel delayed - that's a project that really isn't needed.

The Lower Thames crossing just shows how much money we waste on planning for what should be a fait accompli. We've spent £300m on something that should that required £10m or so of work just to confirm the start and end points then kicked off the work...
    edited July 27

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

Why?

In Hitchens case, other than the sort of disaproval using a name not on your birth certificate would attract from a Prep school teacher, he is doing so to illustrate the point that the name, like the blokey man of the people with touseled hair act, is just that. An act by an ambitious liberal elitist. Well perhaps, but BJ is a more complex character than that.
    I said I don't really get it, but I know that is the point he wants to make, what I actually don't get why he thinks the attack works, like our minds are going to be blown by the revelation Boris is not his first name. You know, I was fully on the Boris train and then Hitchens pointed out his name is Alexander - is that something any human being has said or thought?

I hope he is consistent in referring to James Brown, Leonard Callaghan, and many others too.

Leon said:

Me?

Tartelette aux abricots
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

The Lower Thames crossing just shows how much money we waste on planning for what should be a fait accompli. We've spent £300m on something that should that required £10m or so of work just to confirm the start and end points then kicked off the work...
    They both should have opened two decades ago.
    edited July 27
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Vapid Bilge, Bollocks and may your privy member shrivel, wither and verily fall off.

(unless what you are saying is that we should just implement the value for money solution of dualling the existing surface road?)
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,996

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

For me delaying or indeed abandoning, the Stonehenge Tunnel would be a good thing. Stonehenge needs a bypass, well away from it. There’s probably all sorts of historical relics close to the site.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

Why?

I said I don't really get it, but I know that is the point he wants to make, what I actually don't get why he thinks the attack works, like our minds are going to be blown by the revelation Boris is not his first name. You know, I was fully on the Boris train and then Hitchens pointed out his name is Alexander - is that something any human being has said or thought?

I hope he is consistent in referring to James Brown, Leonard Callaghan, and many others too.
    Anthony Blair....
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,511
    edited July 27
    Heard on the radio today and had to check it - Every US presidential/vice presidential election since 1976 has involved a Bush, Clinton or Biden and that run nearly continued. Who knows it might continue to do so after this lapse. I had to check Chelsea was old enough and Hunter might need a decent publicist and I have no idea about the Bush dynasty.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,175
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

If they're not part of the solution they can be very lucratively part of the problem.

In fact its probably much easier and more lucrative to be part of the problem.
    kjh said:

Heard on the radio today and had to check it - Every US presidential/vice presidential election since 1976 has involved a Bush, Clinton or Biden and that run nearly continued. Who knows it might continue to do so after this lapse. I had to check Chelsea was old enough and Hunter might need a decent publicist and I have no idea about the Bush dynasty.

Jenna daughter of GWB is on the sane, normal human spectrum. No future with the GOP obvs.

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

If they're not part of the solution they can be very lucratively part of the problem.

WIthout commenting on the merits of those particular projects, planning in general should have far less consultation requirements for a start. And that's not even getting in to the reams of variously necessary assessments and analysis.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,490

Sandpit said:

It’s extraordinary that we’re so far on and still haven’t built the sodding lower Thames crossing. Just toll it. And combine it with a far more expensive freight only toll on the existing route north from Dover.

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

Yep - the fix has to be finding a method that allow strategically important developments to be implemented quickly without 10 years of legal arguments first.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

Why?

Those are different. It used to be very common for children, and hence adults, to be known by their middle rather than first names. Boris, however, is known by different names to different audiences. More like Vic Reeves being Jim Moir, Boris is a stage name.

That said, I invariably refer to him as Boris. It seems only polite to call people whatever they want to be called.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Kenneth said:

Good from Hitchens.

Why?

A school-friend of mine was always known by his second name until he was called up for National Service, when, apparently, his first name was insisted on, for ID purposes.
    I lost touch with him for many years but when we got in touch again on Friends Reunited he used his second name.
    Mind you, I’d have had no idea who he was if he’d used his first.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,590
    Afternoon all :)

We are getting the Silvertown Tunnel next year so that will add an extra crossing east of Tower Bridge.
    stodge said:

We are getting the Silvertown Tunnel next year so that will add an extra crossing east of Tower Bridge.

Which doesn't really help people trying to get from Kent to Essex or vice versa...
    eek said:

stodge said:

Which doesn't really help people trying to get from Kent to Essex or vice versa...
    Going South is usually straightforward, in my experience. Going North is the problem
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,088
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

As we are replaying The Thick of It moments from the last thread, the people who broke Thames Water (in both senses) are now:-

Macquarie to acquire remaining stake in UK's National Gas
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/macquarie-acquire-remaining-stake-uks-102642211.html

That needs to be blocked. If Starmer's cabinet allows an organisation that stands accused of divers crimes when owning Thames Water to take over more of our infrastructure they really are asking for a shot to the head on credibility.
    I would say the price of clearance is to pay back £20bn or so that they have stripped out of Thames Water.

"My price is one hundred thirty million dollars. If, when you are ready to pay, I happen to be out of town, you may hand it over to my friend, the Treasurer of the United States."
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,490
    eek said:

stodge said:

Having crossed the Thames between Kent and Essex a couple of times this month, it’s really getting quite desperate. It’s quite overwhelming just how close to breaking point the infrastructure is becoming in the south east of England, not surprising given none of the major parties show any inclination to either arrest the rapid growth in population or to cut transfer payments and boost capital spending.
    eek said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Lawyers and consultants.

Yep - the fix has to be finding a method that allow strategically important developments to be implemented quickly without 10 years of legal arguments first.
    Parliament is sovereign. It should be possible for a Bill to be passed for a significant piece of infrastructure, and for the project to actually start within weeks. Set compulsory purchase orders at 150% or even 200% of prior market value.
    edited July 27
    kjh said:

Also, every successful GOP presidential ticket since and not including 1928 has featured Nixon, a Bush, or Trump.
This discussion has been closed.