Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Lawyers are awesome, a continuing series – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 4 in General
Lawyers are awesome, a continuing series – politicalbetting.com

THE YEAR OF THE PROSECUTOR? pic.twitter.com/rbSzH6YxML

Read the full story here

Comments

• maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,480
    Both have awful nasal voices too. Many such similarities.
  • Clayton said:

Rumours also circulating on social media about the whereabouts of Joe Biden and why there is no sign of him. This from hedge fund manager Bill Ackman.

One would think that a letter to the American people from the president announcing his decision to step aside would not be signed using a digital signature and would be accompanied by a photo op and a scheduled conference in the morning that followed.

Instead we have a digitally signed letter released on the president’s
    @X
    account, an account we know that is run by a staffer, no photo, and no live scheduled address to the American people.

If I were China, I would invade Taiwan tomorrow.
    4:13 AM · Jul 22, 2024
    ·
    4M
    Views

https://x.com/BillAckman/status/1815223669322383628

If true its all getting a bit like the last days of Brezhnev.
  • Sigh. It didn't last long.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Debates rarely provide major boosts, but they do sometimes make major disasters. So it was for Joe.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    President Biden’s doctor said Monday that his symptoms from Covid are almost gone and that he has completed his final dose of Paxlovid. In a letter released by the White House, Dr. Kevin O’Connor said that Mr. Biden “continues to perform all of his presidential duties.”

NY Times

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    https://x.com/ppollingnumbers/status/1815458592272904483

🔴 Trump 54% (+8)
    🔵 Harris 46%

HarrisX #C - 2169 LV - 7/21
  • The ECB seems to be completely ballsing up the 100 sale, with nothing close to what they expected being paid for the 49% stake they want to sell off, rendering the whole thing pointless.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517

Clayton said:

Rumours also circulating on social media about the whereabouts of Joe Biden and why there is no sign of him. This from hedge fund manager Bill Ackman.

One would think that a letter to the American people from the president announcing his decision to step aside would not be signed using a digital signature and would be accompanied by a photo op and a scheduled conference in the morning that followed.

@X
    account, an account we know that is run by a staffer, no photo, and no live scheduled address to the American people.

·
    4M
    Views

He's currently recovering from Covid.

Only Russian trolls would try and push this nonsense.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Foxy said:

Debates rarely provide major boosts, but they do sometimes make major disasters. So it was for Joe.

Most consequential debate since Nixon.

Biden set the debate. He wanted the early debate. It was all about showing he was full of vim and vigour and ready to hard campaign for four more years. And then...
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969

Sigh. It didn't last long.

I KNEW this one would annoy you! 😂

Don't worry, you can get meds for that particular issue you're experiencing.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Let’s not exaggerate, just yet.

He’s said he’ll address the country later this week.
    He’s had Covid.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Biden is now an instance of GPT4 running on a WH server and all the better for it
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

Who appointed you editor ?
    Nigelb said:

It's the fault of Rupert Murdoch and Chris Huhne.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

You mean the last days of Mad Vlad? (A boy can dream!)

Thanks to latest Kremlin-bot "Clayton" for confirming that Putin is freaking out as much as his MAGA understudy re: Kamala Harris.

AND is behind much of the bilge currently being pumped re: this topic.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Seriously. These wild quail I just roasted. Slathered in Normandy butter. Delicious. I ate half the heads

How can French ingredients be so good but the national cuisine now so dismal?

It is abject
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    Nigelb said:

TSE should send all of his threads to BatteryCorrectHearse for editorial approval and then this problem would not recur.

Job done

Topical application of cocaine allegedly

Foxy said:

Most consequential debate since Nixon.

Biden set the debate. He wanted the early debate. It was all about showing he was full of vim and vigour and ready to hard campaign for four more years. And then...
    MORE consequential than Nixon
  • Sigh. It didn't last long.

A slight at my past mental health issues, lovely.

No it’s not. He’s making a ribald joke. Don’t be daft

Nope, it's joke about erectile dysfunction.
  • Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

That was a quick ban hammer!

He might be right that this is a dangerous time if China are feeling Irredentist. Not convinced they actually want the ballache though.
  • Taz said:

TSE should send all of his threads to BatteryCorrectHearse for editorial approval and then this problem would not recur.

Job done

I'd be very happy to review the titles and posts, indeed.
    edited July 22

Well I was thinking the "issue" might be more like the "two bob bits" lol! 😂

Look, you need to get off your high horse about TSE. If you don't enjoy his thread headers then don't bother reading them and just post comments.

But getting yourself into a personal drama with Mike's second in command isn't going to end well, so it's up to you.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

He might be right that this is a dangerous time if China are feeling Irredentist. Not convinced they actually want the ballache though.
    I always read “ballache” as balash. Sounds quite sophisticated and foreign.
  • BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 3,044
    edited July 22
    GIN1138 said:

Look, you need to get off your high horse about TSE. If you don't enjoy his thread headers then don't bother reading them and just post comments.

But getting yourself into a personal drama with Mike's second in command isn't going to end well, so it's up to you.
    If they wish to ban me for stating my views then that's entirely up to them, I won't argue with it and I will post elsewhere. If I have convened any forum policies then I will accept that and happily accept a ban which I will not ignore.

If people don't like my views or what I have to say they are welcome to skip over my comments as I do of others.
    edited July 22

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

We've mentioned it before.

Dear Russian trolls if you want to avoid the ban hammer do not use IP addresses flagged as known spammers/troll farms.

Vanilla does its magic.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    "affect"

:)
    If she's any good she will sort a plea bargain with Trump and make a Nov trial unnecessary.

Awful if he had a mishap like that nice Mr Epstein tho

GIN1138 said:

If they wish to ban me for stating my views then that's entirely up to them, I won't argue with it and I will post elsewhere. If people don't like my views or what I have to say they are welcome to skip over my comments as I do of others.
    No one is seeking to ban you. You are over reacting and being a tiny bit of a tit. It happens to us all

You have genuinely interesting views and a good brain, it would be shame if you quit over a misunderstanding
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    TimS said:

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

I always read “ballache” as balash. Sounds quite sophisticated and foreign.
    Sort of like Panache. The Chinese lack the ballache to pull off an invasion. That kind of thing.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Who needs Russian troll accounts when we've got Mr Bedfordshire to repeat the same things?
  • Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Dear Russian trolls if you want to avoid the ban hammer do not use IP addresses flagged as known spammers/troll farms.

Vanilla does its magic.
    VPNs are cheap enough.

Although I suppose it could be @Leon travelling in the further reaches of eastern Europe and issuing forth another sockpuppet as he wants us to think he is in France.

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Vanilla does its magic.
    Seriously frightening that the guys with the biggest nuclear arsenal do not understand how to spoof an IP address
    edited July 22
    One thing I sincerely do not understand. In what possible universe is Kamala Harris “black”?

She is Indian inasmuch as she is any “ethnicity”. From South Asia. With some African ancestry on one side

Does “black” now mean ANYONE “non white”? What is that anyway? Roma? Southern Spanish? Jewish? Inuit? Dusky Celtic types? Greeks? Arabs? Armenians?

Or is it a kind of one drop of blood rule, but now reversed?

The whole thing is a decadent mess of chaotic thinking and horrible emblematic of objective western decline

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Does Trump demanding that Taiwan repay USA for defense costs (presumably 7th Fleet & etc., etc., etc.) make this a MORE or less dangerous time re: Xi's irrdedentism?
  • Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Who needs Russian troll accounts when we've got Mr Bedfordshire to repeat the same things?
    Da I am not Wussian Twoll I am Leg Before Wicket Piccadilly Circus Englishman from St Peterborough who did not do war crimes on account of gammy leg and too much time on PB.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Vanilla does its magic.
    Seriously frightening that the guys with the biggest nuclear arsenal do not understand how to spoof an IP address
    Reassuring.

They probably don’t know about the Helium 3 thing.

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Vanilla does its magic.
    I read a while back the reason Putin absolutely hates Biden is that Biden visited Kyiv before Putin.

Putin genuinely thought the war would be over within days and that he'd be welcomed and then Biden had his visit.

It was pretty humiliating for Putin when the American Defence Secretary informed his Russian counterpart a few hours before Biden's visit that any attacks near Biden would result in sub-optimal result for Russia.
  • Leon said:

One thing I sincerely do not understand. In what possible universe is Kamala Harris “black”?

She is Indian inasmuch as she is any “ethnicity”. From South Asia

Does “black” now mean ANYONE “non white”? What is that anyway? Roma? Southern Spanish? Jewish? Inuit? Dusky Celtic types? Greeks? Arabs? Armenians?

The whole thing is a decadent mess of chaotic thinking and horrible emblematic of objective western decline

Presumably his father from Jamaica is African in Origin or is he a Redleg with Irish ancestry?

Generally in the UK it seems to mean "non white" (unlike South Africa where it means 100% black African origin and affects all sorts of quotas)
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214

https://x.com/ppollingnumbers/status/1815458592272904483

🔴 Trump 54% (+8)
    🔵 Harris 46%

HarrisX #C - 2169 LV - 7/21

I imagine the strategy will be to depict Harris as part of a failed and corrupt liberal establishment that failed to deal with illegal immigration, that is obsessed with 'woke' issues etc, that pumps trillions in to wars that end in failure, etc. The challenge for the democrats will be to counter this, it will be really difficult.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

GIN1138 said:

If they wish to ban me for stating my views then that's entirely up to them, I won't argue with it and I will post elsewhere. If I have convened any forum policies then I will accept that and happily accept a ban which I will not ignore.

If people don't like my views or what I have to say they are welcome to skip over my comments as I do of others.
    You’ve had multiple bans, none of which were for your views, you’ve had several flounces too. Always returned. Like Heathener and Farooq.

Stop being melodramatic and just post.

Leon said:

Presumably his father from Jamaica is African in Origin or is he a Redleg with Irish ancestry?

Generally in the UK it seems to mean "non white" (unlike South Africa where it means 100% black African origin and affects all sorts of quotas)
    Her father has a mixed Afro Jamaican ancestry. Apparently. But sweet Jesus we all have African ancestry. We are all out of Africa

It’s a weird inversion of racist slaving or fascist societies obsessed with the idea that one drop of black or Jewish blood is enough to taint you, except now it canonises you
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    Conservative leadership per the Telegraph:

"The final four nominees will appear in front of the Conservative Party conference in October to put forward their pitch to become leader, before the decision goes to a postal vote of members."

This is highly confusing. Are members really voting on the final four?

Or do MPs get it down to two after the Conference and then members choose from final two?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    edited July 22
    Goodness me, only just seen this. But didn't the error also happen outside the EU?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/22/microsoft-blames-eu-rules-worlds-biggest-tech-outage/

"Microsoft blames EU rules for allowing world’s biggest IT outage to happen

European Commission deal prevented software giant from making security changes that would have blocked CrowdStrike update, claims tech giant"

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Da I am not Wussian Twoll I am Leg Before Wicket Piccadilly Circus Englishman from St Peterborough who did not do war crimes on account of gammy leg and too much time on PB.
    Cambridge Circus, Shirley?
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Her father has a mixed Afro Jamaican ancestry. Apparently. But sweet Jesus we all have African ancestry. We are all out of Africa

It’s a weird inversion of racist slaving or fascist societies obsessed with the idea that one drop of black or Jewish blood is enough to taint you, except now it canonises you
    There is a long, long American tradition of claiming to have some "Injun" blood. Usually to explain away a bit of a er.... suntan.
  • Andy_JS said:

Goodness me, only just seen this. But didn't the error also happen outside the EU?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/22/microsoft-blames-eu-rules-worlds-biggest-tech-outage/

"Microsoft blames EU rules for allowing world’s biggest IT outage to happen

European Commission deal prevented software giant from making security changes that would have blocked CrowdStrike update, claims tech giant"

If people will buy software named after an RMT Leader and his favourite pastime, what do they expect?

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Smiley not Shirley Shirley?
  • Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

That is putting it quite Bluntly
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214
    Leon said:

She is Indian inasmuch as she is any “ethnicity”. From South Asia. With some African ancestry on one side

What I think people on this website cannot see, is how exhausted many people are with this stuff. There is never any progress, just an endless struggle and new frontiers in the search for 'justice'. That is one reason why people vote for Trump, there is at least some kind of optimism and self confidence which is completely lacking from the left.
  • Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

Smiley not Shirley Shirley?
    That spelling doesn't philby me with confidence.
    MikeL said:

"The final four nominees will appear in front of the Conservative Party conference in October to put forward their pitch to become leader, before the decision goes to a postal vote of members."

Or do MPs get it down to two after the Conference and then members choose from final two?

I think they'll do it like in 2005.

Whatever happened in 2005 is how it will work this time, IMO.
    Leon said:

Interesting question. I like this photo of KH from the 1980s.

https://x.com/TheMichaelMoran/status/1325779958946467840
    Number of PBers clearly unfamiliar with the "one-drop rule" and its impact on American society, history and demographics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

The one-drop rule was a legal principle of racial classification that was prominent in the 20th-century United States. It asserted that any person with even one ancestor of black ancestry ("one drop" of "black blood") is considered black (Negro or colored in historical terms). . . .

The poet Langston Hughes wrote in his 1940 memoir:

You see, unfortunately, I am not black. There are lots of different kinds of blood in our family. But here in the United States, the word 'Negro' is used to mean anyone who has any Negro blood at all in his veins. In Africa, the word is more pure. It means all Negro, therefore black. I am brown.

. . . [For example] In 1865, Florida passed an act that both outlawed miscegenation and defined the amount of black ancestry needed to be legally defined as a "person of color". The act stated that "every person who shall have one-eighth or more of negro blood shall be deemed and held to be a person of color."

SSI - Note the chief objection to legal imposition of "one-drop" rule was concern that it could be applied to PLENTY of people who were regarded as "White" in polite (and even impolite) society.

However, even when not enshrined in law, the notion that ANY amount of African American heritage was TOO much, was well-established in America on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line during 17th, 18th, 19th and early-20th centuries.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    MikeL said:

Maybe they’ve gamed it that they get three loons and one sensible so the loon members vote is split and the single sensible one comes through the middle and wins.

Number of PBers clearly unfamiliar with the "one-drop rule" and its impact on American society, history and demographics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

The one-drop rule was a legal principle of racial classification that was prominent in the 20th-century United States. It asserted that any person with even one ancestor of black ancestry ("one drop" of "black blood") is considered black (Negro or colored in historical terms). . . .

The poet Langston Hughes wrote in his 1940 memoir:

You see, unfortunately, I am not black. There are lots of different kinds of blood in our family. But here in the United States, the word 'Negro' is used to mean anyone who has any Negro blood at all in his veins. In Africa, the word is more pure. It means all Negro, therefore black. I am brown.

. . . [For example] In 1865, Florida passed an act that both outlawed miscegenation and defined the amount of black ancestry needed to be legally defined as a "person of color". The act stated that "every person who shall have one-eighth or more of negro blood shall be deemed and held to be a person of color."

SSI - Note the chief objection to legal imposition of "one-drop" rule was concern that it could be applied to PLENTY of people who were regarded as "White" in polite (and even impolite) society.

However, even when not enshrined in law, the notion that ANY amount of African American heritage was TOO much, was well-established in America on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line during 17th, 18th, 19th and early-20th centuries.

Most of us have heard of the one drop rule. We just think it's stupid.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Leon said:

African American is the preferred term over there. It used to be (until 1967, so within living memory of current and former presidents) that some states banned inter-racial marriage, and these laws defined being Black as having any Black ancestry at all – the one drop of blood rule.
  • Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

What a fascinating turn this debate is taking. In the long and distinguished history of PB has the debate ever veered off into discusion of hot stepmoms before?
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

If they try and get off** at Mornington Crescent - that's the true test of a British patriot.

(** in respectful memory of Humph and Barry)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

If she's any good she will sort a plea bargain with Trump and make a Nov trial unnecessary.

Awful if he had a mishap like that nice Mr Epstein tho

That requires putting him in prison first, which also requires the Supreme Court and certain members of the Florida judiciary to stop being so blatantly corrupt.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 22

Leon said:

African American is the preferred term over there. It used to be (until 1967, so within living memory of current and former presidents) that some states banned inter-racial marriage, and these laws defined being Black as having any Black ancestry at all – the one drop of blood rule.
    How the fuck did they know?

Mind you, if Aphartheid had lasted long enough to end up with compulsory DNA tests, there would have been a lot of very annoyed Boers having to up sticks and move house.

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

What a fascinating turn this debate is taking. In the long and distinguished history of PB has the debate ever veered off into discusion of hot stepmoms before?
    Frequently...
  • GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Frequently...
    Never!

Leon said:

Leon said:

There is a long, long American tradition of claiming to have some "Injun" blood. Usually to explain away a bit of a er.... suntan.
    While a persecuted underclass, American Indians enjoyed a status superior to African Americans. And while there were plenty of Black (in USA sense) people with some Native American heritage (for example in Oklahoma where some members of the "Civilized Tribes" were slave-owners) far more were inspired to claim Native heritage as means of escaping or mitigating their African heritage.

Indeed, bunch of local sub-cultures that appear to have originated in mingling of escaped slaves with local tribes; for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon

Also (see links in article above)

Chestnut Ridge people of West Virginia
    Croatan
    Dominickers in the Florida Panhandle
    List of topics related to the African diaspora
    Mulatto
    Pardo
    Ramapough Mountain Indians ("Jackson Whites")
    Redbone (ethnicity)
    Turks of South Carolina
    Vardy Community School
    CONSERVATIVE LEADERSHIP RULES (per The Sun!)

- 10 MPs to be nominated
    - MP rounds of voting: Sept 4, 9, 10, 11
    - Final four make pitch at Conference
    - Further MP rounds of voting (to reduce to final two): Oct 9, 10
    - Postal vote of members: Oct 15 to Oct 31
    - Result: Nov 2

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/29395500/new-tory-leader-announced-nov-2/
  • boulay said:

MikeL said:

Maybe they’ve gamed it that they get three loons and one sensible so the loon members vote is split and the single sensible one comes through the middle and wins.
    They usually do that to eliminate the sensibles.
    Nadhim Zahawi, the former Conservative chancellor, is assembling a £600m bid for The Daily Telegraph that could up-end the auction of some of Britain’s most influential media assets.
    https://news.sky.com/story/former-tory-chancellor-zahawi-plots-600m-telegraph-bid-13183206

Media assets including the Flintknappers Gazette!
    MikeL said:

- 10 MPs to be nominated

I suspect in realty they'll have it down to the last 2 by Conference.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757

President Biden’s doctor said Monday that his symptoms from Covid are almost gone and that he has completed his final dose of Paxlovid. In a letter released by the White House, Dr. Kevin O’Connor said that Mr. Biden “continues to perform all of his presidential duties.”

NY Times

If he's good enough to do that, he's good enough to be in front of a camera for a few mins.

Where is he?
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

The young Kamala looks strangely familiar – someone famous?
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 22

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

The young Kamala looks strangely familiar – someone famous?
    Naga Munchetty?

Have they ever been seen in a room together?

Imagine the damage it would do to her campaign if people thought she had worked for the BBC?

Leon said:

How the fuck did they know?

Mind you, if Aphartheid had lasted long enough to end up with compulsory DNA tests, there would have been a lot of very annoyed Boers having to up sticks and move house.
    "How the fuck did they know?"

Went by physical appearance AND known parentage and ancestry. Enabling many with the "taint" of Black blood to "pass" as White. Very similar to South Africa.

FEAR of finding out what they did NOT want to know, was what kept Southern legislatures from enacting "one-drop rule" into law, that is until the apex of post-Civil War racism around turn of 19th>20th century.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    MikeL said:

- 10 MPs to be nominated

So. Longer than the General Election campaign?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    I see the latest troll was posting crap that I'd already seen posted on Reddit. So pretty much confirming some sort of co-ordination, I guess the only question is whether it was Russia, China, or MAGA-GOP pulling the strings.

NY Times

If he's good enough to do that, he's good enough to be in front of a camera for a few mins.

Where is he?
    This is what makes Russian trolls so effective. They plant an idea, that Biden might be dead, and suddenly it seems quite normal to wonder about his health, and then it is a short step to demand proof he is still with us.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Do you mean native American which is what injun usually means or do you mean the subcontinent? And if suntan means African blood your comedy circumlocution looks a bit off to me.

There's a bit of faux naiveté in the air. If you are someone a drunk redneck would call a n word it seems to me you have the right to identify as black till the last redneck goes extinct.
    dixiedean said:

MikeL said:

- 10 MPs to be nominated

So. Longer than the General Election campaign?
    And involving almost as many Conservative MPs.

NY Times

Where is he?
    This is what makes Russian trolls so effective. They plant an idea, that Biden might be dead, and suddenly it seems quite normal to wonder about his health, and then it is a short step to demand proof he is still with us.
    And what is proof these days? No doubt a deepfake of him will say something on telly.
  • President Biden’s doctor said Monday that his symptoms from Covid are almost gone and that he has completed his final dose of Paxlovid. In a letter released by the White House, Dr. Kevin O’Connor said that Mr. Biden “continues to perform all of his presidential duties.”

NY Times

Where is he?
    The best propaganda is highly plausible and possibly even true.

In 1935 they would have been making outrageous suggestions that the King was having an affair with a married transgender woman.

ohnotnow said:

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

If they try and get off** at Mornington Crescent - that's the true test of a British patriot.

(** in respectful memory of Humph and Barry)
    If getting off at Mornington Crescent is "the true test of a British patriot" then surely our own peripathetic PBer has made the grade (and left his mark) multiple times.

. . . Because a vision softly creeping
    Left its seeds while I was sleeping . . .
    . . .The words of the prophets
    Are written on the subway walls . . .

Leon said:

Kamala spent some time in Zambia as a guest of her Grandfather (who was working as an Indian diplomat there with refugees from Rhodesia). She stayed not far from Mrs Foxy was living.

Kamala clearly sees herself as part of both the African diaspora and the Indian one.

https://apnews.com/article/kamala-harris-zambia-gopalan-grandfather-e85758241ad9318fe8d013a935032d71

Clayton said:

@X

·
    4M
    Views

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Circus,_London
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    It’s fair to say that Giorgia Meloni has better chemistry with Elon Musk than she has with Macron:

https://x.com/iam_smx/status/1815203134299369825
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

NY Times

Where is he?
    The best propaganda is highly plausible and possibly even true.

In 1935 they would have been making outrageous suggestions that the King was having an affair with a married transgender woman.

Well, that would have rather surprised everybody. I don't think George V was that way inclined.
    a

Leon said:

Leon said:

Do you mean native American which is what injun usually means or do you mean the subcontinent? And if suntan means African blood your comedy circumlocution looks a bit off to me.

There's a bit of faux naiveté in the air. If you are someone a drunk redneck would call a n word it seems to me you have the right to identify as black till the last redneck goes extinct.
    I’m referring to the habit of some quite racist Good Old Boys of claiming some Native American blood. To explain away their swarthiness. Which, 999 out of 1000 is actually…
    darkage said:

Leon said:

What I think people on this website cannot see, is how exhausted many people are with this stuff. There is never any progress, just an endless struggle and new frontiers in the search for 'justice'. That is one reason why people vote for Trump, there is at least some kind of optimism and self confidence which is completely lacking from the left.
    Trump on Biden standing down as candidate:

"Crooked Joe Biden was not fit to run for President, and is certainly not fit to serve - And never was! He only attained the position of President by lies, Fake News, and not leaving his Basement. All those around him, including his Doctor and the Media, knew that he wasn’t capable of being President, and he wasn’t - And now, look what he’s done to our Country, with millions of people coming across our Border, totally unchecked and unvetted, many from prisons, mental institutions, and record numbers of terrorists. We will suffer greatly because of his presidency, but we will remedy the damage he has done very quickly. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"

Such optimism, such positivity. Compare it to Biden's own words:

"Over the past three and a half years, we have made great progress as a Nation.

"Today, America has the strongest economy in the world. We’ve made historic investments in rebuilding our Nation, in lowering prescription drug costs for seniors, and in expanding affordable health care to a record number of Americans. We’ve provided critically needed care to a million veterans exposed to toxic substances. Passed the first gun safety law in 30 years. Appointed the first African American woman to the Supreme Court. And passed the most important climate legislation in the history of the world. America has never been better positioned to lead than we are today."

No self-confidence there, just downbeat all the way.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533

NY Times

Where is he?
    Re-recording the same autocue over and over until he doesn't fluff it?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Sexual performance, I think.
    edited July 22
    MikeL said:

- 10 MPs to be nominated

10 nominations from 120 odd MPs is absurd.
    edited July 22

TBF I am not known for making sexual innuendos or smut.

NY Times

Where is he?
    Helped by the many useful idiots.
    Can remember when New Orleans elected it's first Black mayor, Dutch Morial.

Check out his pix via link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Nathan_Morial

AND the first Black congressman from . . . wait for it . . California was Augustus Hawkins; see his pix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_Hawkins

At one time (and perhaps unto present day) there were African American social clubs and social circles, where the "paper bag test" was a qualification for memship.

Meaning that your complexion needed to be lighter than a paper bag.

My point is, discrimination against people with arguably way LESS African American heritage than Kamala Harris, was and is still a thing in the United States.

TBF I am not known for making innuendos or smut.
    Perish the thought!

edited July 22
    Foxy said:

MikeL said:

- 10 MPs to be nominated

10 nominations from 120 odd MPs is absurd.
    My wording was ambiguous.

A candidate needs 10 MPs to get nominated - which seems reasonable.

It's not that there will be 10 candidates!!!
    MikeL said:

- 10 MPs to be nominated

Why are they spinning out for so long?

It’s fair to say that Giorgia Meloni has better chemistry with Elon Musk than she has with Macron:

https://x.com/iam_smx/status/1815203134299369825

They both love fascism, so that creates a bond.
This discussion has been closed.