Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It is looking like a Kamala Harris coronation – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,055
edited August 4 in General
imageIt is looking like a Kamala Harris coronation – politicalbetting.com

Michelle Obama backers please explain yourself! Because for those of us laying her it feels like we’re taking candy from a baby.

Read the full story here

Comments

• It seems like a new era for TheScreamingEagles. Two posts with decent content in a row.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,932
    First (third in a week, surely a record)
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    What is the green line on that plot?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,604
    Chris said:

Joe Biden.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    Chris said:

Oh, sorry - Biden, obviously.
    edited July 22
    On topic - surely going with Harris is the obvious thing to do in the short time available? And she does contrast rather well with the doddery old man who was running for the Democrats is running for the Republicans...

First (third in a week, surely a record)

Dammit - gazumped.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,102
    Chris said:

Oh, y'know, him. President guy. Slipped my mind. Wait a minute, it's on the tip of my...oh hey, nice to see you. Yes, it's been a while, since...y'know, the thing. A man was there. It was...now where was I?
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

If potatoes were too expensive, and there was a national chip shortage crisis, nobody would suggest a government "help to buy a bag of chips" subsidy, or shared social chips schemes, or targetting chips at certain parts of the population, or just eating other root vegetables for a decade until you can save up for some chips.

WE'D PLANT AND GROW MORE BLOODY POTATOES!

The impending spike in potato and chip prices is due to shit weather and will last at least twelve months. That’s twelve months if we have better weather next year as well, else make it 24.
    I would have thought all the cool weather and rain means a bumper crop?
    Not when the ground is so sodden you can’t get machinery on it to sow the bloody things, and when you can they just rot in the soil.
    I am still struggling to get courgettes and brassicas past glorified seedling stage and the slugs and snails are in ludicrous quantities.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

If potatoes were too expensive, and there was a national chip shortage crisis, nobody would suggest a government "help to buy a bag of chips" subsidy, or shared social chips schemes, or targetting chips at certain parts of the population, or just eating other root vegetables for a decade until you can save up for some chips.

The impending spike in potato and chip prices is due to shit weather and will last at least twelve months. That’s twelve months if we have better weather next year as well, else make it 24.
    Not when the ground is so sodden you can’t get machinery on it to sow the bloody things, and when you can they just rot in the soil.
    I am still struggling to get courgettes and brassicas past glorified seedling stage and the slugs and snails are in ludicrous quantities.
    Don't talk to me about broad beans. Never seen such savagery from nature on poor, unsuspecting plants.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 22

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Don't talk to me about broad beans. Never seen such savagery from nature on poor, unsuspecting plants.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Oddly my broad beans have been fantastic. Had to freeze a load. Plants up to my chin and I am nesrly 6' tall.

I forgot to plant them before winter and only got them out at easter
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,776

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Our runner beans have been unable to run as fast as the slugs and snails this year. Not expecting to get any beans at all. The first time ever.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,660

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Our runner beans have been unable to run as fast as the slugs and snails this year. Not expecting to get any beans at all. The first time ever.
    On the other hand the soft fruits are just something else. My raspberries are having their best ever year so far.
    On topic, appropriate that Harris is having a coronation just as SCOTUS announces the President is really a medieval king.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453

Things I think Harris needs to do once the nomination is sewn up:

1. Properly re-introduce herself to American voters. Not as the GOP-defined caricature. Kamala Harris the person. She does, I think, need to avoid that aloofness that set Hillary apart from voters. Her backstory is compelling - she needs to tell it.

2. She needs to hammer home talking points on women’s rights, the Supreme Court and the threat to democracy. Biden was not strong enough in forcing these points. She has typically been better.

3. As much as possible she should try to run for the next 4 years not on the record of the last 4. Yes she’ll get forced to defend/justify the administration’s actions on a whole host of things, but she should touch upon it briefly and then move on. She needs to give the impression that she will lead a new administration - not continuity Biden.

4. She needs an answer to the immigration issue. And that’s not going to be easy. But they need to come up with an effective line or a new policy position for her to take. Avoiding putting her on the back foot on the “border tsar” stuff will be critical.

5. Focus on the rust belt, but AZ and NV are important too. Don’t retreat to MI, WI, PA, MN. They are crucial states, but it would be far better if they can try and keep AZ and NV in play too. And even GA and NC if possible. Yes it’ll be tough, but they cant just play for 270. They need to play for a buffer too.

The obvious play for 6 is to have Mark Kelly as VP, I think Shapiro works best game theory wise though.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,489
    FPT
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

I know people on here don't think its an option, but many people DO flatshare. I did. It can be fun. It can be shit. Surely one way to save money?

A colleague has taken a job in Newcastle but is staying in Bath and commuting. She rents a room in a house with another professional for her time in Newcastle. Could the lady in the story do that for a year or two?

You are incredibly out of touch. Most people already flatshare, I can't think of anyone in their 20s who I know that doesn't. Nobody can afford to live on their own unless they have significant savings or a very good salary.

You're suggesting things that even the most stupid 20 year old has already done.

The problem is that you're coming at this from the angle of "if only they did this". It doesn't work like that, housing is too expensive, there is no getting away from it. No amount of lifestyle change is going to change that.

Just accept you've got it wrong.
    A telling statistic is that France has about the same population as do we - and about 8m more households.
    And weirdly, higher rates of overcrowding and roughly similar house prices (relative to incomes).

I assume they have a more extreme version of superheated demand in the cities, second home ownership in the countryside.
    House prices are absurd even in places with loads of room like Canada and Australia. It's because of low interest rates meaning people buy to higher multiples of income.
    Yep. The notion it's all about lack of supply is false. The many years of cheap money have contributed greatly to today's high house prices.
    How would an excess of supply not lead to a fall in prices?
    Yes, higher supply should depress prices, I'm just saying it's not all about that.
    If supply exceeds demand, then prices will fall to clear the demand. and you'll have surplus housing. You may find people building and buying more ten bedroom mansions, but not many.

The reason people pay lots for houses is scarcity.

I know it is hard to imagine, but you could have a situation where you *could* borrow a 500K, but the house you want actually costs less than that....
    Yes, yes, and a yes for the road - higher supply leads to lower prices. Got that. Tick.

I'm making a different point. Which is that our high house prices are not all because of lack of supply. The long period of cheap money has also contributed.
    The cheap money era *enabled* the housing market to continue going up, rather than hitting a ceiling of financing earlier. We are now seeing some evidence of that ceiling, now - people can't borrow enough, even at historically low rates, to afford the prices.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,887
    edited July 22

1. Properly re-introduce herself to American voters. Not as the GOP-defined caricature. Kamala Harris the person. She does, I think, need to avoid that aloofness that set Hillary apart from voters. Her backstory is compelling - she needs to tell it.

2. She needs to hammer home talking points on women’s rights, the Supreme Court and the threat to democracy. Biden was not strong enough in forcing these points. She has typically been better.

3. As much as possible she should try to run for the next 4 years not on the record of the last 4. Yes she’ll get forced to defend/justify the administration’s actions on a whole host of things, but she should touch upon it briefly and then move on. She needs to give the impression that she will lead a new administration - not continuity Biden.

4. She needs an answer to the immigration issue. And that’s not going to be easy. But the need to come up with an effective line or a new policy position for her to take. Avoiding putting her on the back foot on the “border tsar” stuff will be critical.

5. Focus on the rust belt, but AZ and NV are important too. Don’t retreat to MI, WI, PA, MN. They are crucial states, but it would be far better if they can try and keep AZ and NV in play too. And even GA and NC if possible. Yes it’ll be tough, but they cant just play for 270. They need to play for a buffer too.

She likely makes AZ/NV more achievable than did Biden.

And it's not just the Democrats who need to sort out their messaging.

Senior Trump campaign advisor Jason Miller on NBC says that a major issue liability for @KamalaHarris is that “she wants to ban plastic straws.”

Republicans are completely lost right now.

https://x.com/mattmfm/status/1815168750724796470
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,919
    Hillary Clinton had the disadvantage of being very polarizing and didn’t run a great campaign .

The email drama and Comeys last minute intervention cost her the election .

Kamala Harris has one big advantage something which seems to have been missed by some in here . The abortion issue post the overturning of Roe v Wade .

There’s a reason the Dems did much better than expected in the last mid terms .

Trump has made a serious mistake picking a VP candidate who would be happy to see a national abortion ban , he also can’t run away from the fact he installed judges in the SC who were instrumental in overturning R v W .

• DriverDriver Posts: 4,710

4. She needs an answer to the immigration issue. And that’s not going to be easy. But they need to come up with an effective line or a new policy position for her to take. Avoiding putting her on the back foot on the “border tsar” stuff will be critical.

Number 3 is the big one. She doesn't need much, but she needs something more than "I'm not Trump". If she can come up with a compelling positive reason to vote for her, she will deserve to win comfortably.
    Nigelb said:

4. She needs an answer to the immigration issue. And that’s not going to be easy. But the need to come up with an effective line or a new policy position for her to take. Avoiding putting her on the back foot on the “border tsar” stuff will be critical.

She likely makes AZ/NV more lmachiwvable than did Biden.

Senior Trump campaign advisor Jason Miller on NBC says that a major issue liability for @KamalaHarris is that “she wants to ban plastic straws.”

They’re literally clutching at straws.

(Didn’t Trump once say something inane about straws not being a problem because they were so small, not realising that was the whole fucking problem?)
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,412
    edited July 22
    A good slogan for Kamala Harris's campaign would be: "San Fransisco was a lot safer when I was district attorney". Regrettably it won't be possible to use it because it might upset a lot of people in her own party.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,506
    biggles said:

biggles said:

“Build more and house prices will drop” would be true if there was a real, competitive market between house developers/builders. In reality they are more joined up than OPEC.

It's a goddamn cartel. They only build as many houses that they can sell at the prices they want to sell them at. To be fair, they're not responsible for housing the population, they're just a business that is only interested in keeping the shareholders rich.
    No government is going to change that.
    Yup. As ever, the answer to a broken market is the think about barriers to entry. But no one is doing that, and to be fair the shortage of trained workers probably precludes it. A “construction work visa” and some thinking about barriers to entry is where I’d be thinking.
    The barrier to entry is the requirement for planning consent.

Abolish that and instead of big, blocky, developments by the same oligopoly of developers we could have small developers building one or two houses at a time for whoever wants them, wherever they want them.
    Andy_JS said:

A good slogan for Kamala Harris's campaign would be: "San Fransisco was a lot safer when I was district attorney". Regrettably it won't be possible to use it because it might upset a lot of people in her own party.

It upsets Gavin Newsom and the California Democratic Party. I think she can afford it - omelettes, eggs an all that.
  • MoanR said:

It seems like a new era for TheScreamingEagles. Two posts with decent content in a row.

We should all be very grateful for the time that TSE spends writing headers. (They are generally either good, very good or excellent). Without him the site would be much worse or possibly close.
    If he can carry on from here as he now finally started doing, I am sure the future is very bright. Let's hope he doesn't go back to his old habits.
    Farage needs to seek help.

Why would Farage label a person born in Oakland, California as “a black African”?
    https://x.com/brexit_sham/status/1815320300268949777
  • BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 3,048
    edited July 22
    viewcode said:

It seems like a new era for TheScreamingEagles. Two posts with decent content in a row.

Please be a nicer person to the nice person who publishes my articles.

Plus, let us not forget, who also is recovering from an abscess operation whilst providing sufficient articles each day to give us a place where grown adults can bitch about their hobby horses. For free.
    I will be very happy to acknowledge a consistent posting of good content, until then I will remain sceptical. I think they should start charging for this site or provide donations, I'd be happy to donate a significant sum of money

As for your articles, they're not bad
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,118
    edited July 22
    Neither Pelosi nor Obama seem keen on giving Harris a coronation. 'Pelosi was among those in a recent discussion who stressed “the potential political downsides of party elites quickly crowning the vice president as the next nominee.”
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2024/07/biden-endorse-harris-pelosi-obama-schumer-jeffries-democrats-nomination.html

As Howard, Brown, May and Sunak found here there are significant downsides to crowning a leader without a contest come a general election as their campaigning skills aren't probably tested
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,858
    Nigelb said:

Why would Farage label a person born in Oakland, California as “a black African”?

He didn't go to the right sort of school, and his geography teacher was not very good.

What else could it be?
    nico679 said:

Hillary Clinton had the disadvantage of being very polarizing and didn’t run a great campaign .

Kamala Harris has one big advantage something which seems to have been missed by some in here . The abortion issue post the overturning of Roe v Wade .

Trump has made a serious mistake picking a VP candidate who would be happy to see a national abortion ban , he also can’t run away from the fact he installed judges in the SC who were instrumental in overturning R v W .

Trump has made clear he will leave abortion to the states which is enough for Independents while Vance is pro life enough to inspire evangelical turnout for him
  • HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Trump has made clear he will leave abortion to the states which is enough for Independents while Vance is pro life enough to inspire evangelical turnout for him
    Which is where it should be. Imagine if the EU or ECHR tried to dictate abortion policy. Oh hang on....
  • HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Which is where it should be. Imagine if the EU or ECHR tried to dictate abortion policy. Oh hang on....
    Load of utter nonsense
    Just struck me, if Harris wins the presidency both the UK and US will be run be ex-prosecutors.

viewcode said:

Plus, let us not forget, who also is recovering from an abscess operation whilst providing sufficient articles each day to give us a place where grown adults can bitch about their hobby horses. For free.
    I will be very happy to acknowledge a consistent posting of good content, until then I will remain sceptical. I think they should start charging for this site or provide donations, I'd be happy to donate a significant sum of money

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goose_that_Laid_the_Golden_Eggs
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/don't_look_a_gift_horse_in_the_mouth
  • viewcode said:

viewcode said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goose_that_Laid_the_Golden_Eggs
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/don't_look_a_gift_horse_in_the_mouth
    Don't get it but whatever makes you happy
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,402
    Pulpstar said:

Just struck me, if Harris wins the presidency both the UK and US will be run be ex-prosecutors.

What was Harris's dad's profession?

Trump's was clearly a tool maker :wink:
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

She likely makes AZ/NV more lmachiwvable than did Biden.

They’re literally clutching at straws.

(Didn’t Trump once say something inane about straws not being a problem because they were so small, not realising that was the whole fucking problem?)
    I bet myself you'd be the first to grasp at that pun.
    You even beat my typo edit. 😊
  • So much for Labour will throw money at everything, bailout rejected
    Impressively quick fieldwork.
    ~

Political Polls
    @PpollingNumbers
    #New General Election Poll - Post Dropout

🔴 Trump 51% (+8)
    🔵 Harris 43%

SoCal (No Rank) - 800 RV - 7/21
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,664
    HYUFD said:

Neither Pelosi nor Obama seem keen on giving Harris a coronation. 'Pelosi was among those in a recent discussion who stressed “the potential political downsides of party elites quickly crowning the vice president as the next nominee.”
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2024/07/biden-endorse-harris-pelosi-obama-schumer-jeffries-democrats-nomination.html

As Howard, Brown, May and Sunak found here there are significant downsides to crowning a leader without a contest come a general election as their campaigning skills aren't probably tested

I think this one is done. For a very large number of reasons the DNC have anointed Harris. None of the other potentials are doing anything other that give fealty to her.

The downside? She's been anonymous and that has allowed the right to throw stuff at her. The upside? She's been anonymous which allows here to tell her story with a largely blank slate to sketch it on.

The challenge for the Trump campaign is how to pivot. Culture war issues (straws, bathrooms etc) engage their lunatic base but are a distraction. The economy? Strong on paper and it would appear in reality, despite "its bad" distortions from the right. Reality usually beats disinformation as its hard to tell someone that their lived experience isn't their lived experience.

Or as I sadly suspect, they will go on the obvious. Who is this uppity immigrant woman telling us what to do?
    HYUFD said:

That window is pretty well closed, I think.
    I suspect the Democrats have slightly surprised themselves by how quickly they reached a consensus.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,674

viewcode said:

@viewcode "they're not bad" - praise indeed !!!
    Pulpstar said:

Sixty-something ex deputy-leader prosecutors.
  • Taz said:

viewcode said:

@viewcode "they're not bad" - praise indeed !!!
    I always praise where necessary and criticise where necessary - I am very balanced and fair
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,651
    Nigelb said:

Ask the Italian Nancy Pelosi or the Irishman Joe Biden.

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

They don’t dictate abortion policy . So not sure why you’re implying they do .
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,390
    @TimAlberta

Most striking thing I heard from Trump allies yesterday was the second-guessing of JD Vance—a selection, they acknowledged, that was borne of cockiness, meant to run up margins with the base in a blowout rather than persuade swing voters in a nail-biter.

https://x.com/TimAlberta/status/1815377270657237080
  • nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

He's been down the pub again
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect the Democrats have slightly surprised themselves by how quickly they reached a consensus.
    Neither Obama or Pelosi have yet endorsed Harris

Nigelb said:

Isn't Farage a Johnny Furriners name, anyhow?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,506
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Just a matter of time.

Its over HYUFD.

Kamala should be favourite now to be next POTUS.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

But the alternative candidates they might prefer *have* endorsed her.

Unless you imagine Barack is going to endorse Michelle?
    edited July 22
    Pulpstar said:

~

Political Polls
    @PpollingNumbers

🔴 Trump 51% (+8)
    🔵 Harris 43%

If true a crushing victory for Trump on those numbers and trouncing for Harris.

An 8% popular vote win for Trump would lead to an EC landslide and be even bigger than the 53% to 46% margin by which Bush Snr beat Dukakis in 1988. It would be the biggest GOP win in a presidential election since Reagan beat Mondale in a landslide in 1984
    edited July 22
    New Hampshire poll also out Harris 39% Trump 40%.

https://nhjournal.com/exclusive-poll-trump-harris-neck-and-neck-in-new-hampshire/

Would be the first time a Republican has won NH since Bush won it in 2000 over Gore
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

~

Political Polls
    @PpollingNumbers

🔴 Trump 51% (+8)
    🔵 Harris 43%

An 8% popular vote win for Trump would lead to an EC landslide and be even bigger than the 53% to 46% margin by which Bush Snr beat Dukakis in 1988. It would be the biggest GOP win in a presidential election since Reagan beat Mondale in a landslide in 1984
    The effect of her taking over the mantle won't have fully bedded in yet. Remember polling is always like this. It takes a while for voters (As a collective) to "realise" what has happened and change their minds if they are going to.
    But it's not a good poll for her.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,800
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

~

Political Polls
    @PpollingNumbers

🔴 Trump 51% (+8)
    🔵 Harris 43%

The effect of her taking over the mantle won't have fully bedded in yet. Remember polling is always like this. It takes a while for voters (As a collective) to "realise" what has happened and change their minds if they are going to.
    But it's not a good poll for her.
    True, but Dozy Don and MAGA-GOP are not acting like they are happy with the switch.

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Just a matter of time.

Its over HYUFD.

Kamala should be favourite now to be next POTUS.
    I'd like to believe that but it's just not true.
    HYUFD said:

https://nhjournal.com/exclusive-poll-trump-harris-neck-and-neck-in-new-hampshire/

Would be the first time a Republican has won NH since Bush won it in 2000 over Gore

Pre-withdrawal. Doesn't count. This is one of those moments where, as Blair said "...The kaleidoscope has been shaken, the pieces are in flux, soon they will settle again. Before they do let us reorder this world around us..."
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

It won't be enough for independents in states where nutters are in control.

Of course, that may not tip the states in question to the Dems so may be moot.

But if it continues to cause unease among independents particularly with Vance on the ticket it's going to be a problem for the Republicans.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 22
    nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Hic...Burp..

https://ennhri.org/news-and-blog/european-court-of-human-rights-issues-landmark-judgment-on-access-to-abortion-and-rule-of-law-in-poland/#:~:text=case is about?-,The case of M.L.,the basis of foetal abnormalities.
    Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

In 2019 the U.K. and US were both run by men who are now convicted criminals, of course.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,788
    edited July 22

Nigelb said:

In that case Indian or Jamaican at a stretch. African-American or Dual heritage more properly.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,788
    HYUFD said:

Must be a lot of undecided then. Everything to play for.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Politics UK
    @PolitlcsUK
    🚨 NEW: Nigel Farage describes Kamala Harris as a "black African woman" and says Donald Trump would be "delighted" to have her as his opponent

Kamala Harris is not African - her parents are Indian and Jamaican

[
    @LBC
    ]
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680
    Forget about USA presidency for now and look at a far more important election with a likely female coronation..... Wales.

It now looks like Eluned Morgan will be the only nominee and could be selected as Welsh Labour Leader on Wednesday. Still needs to be approved as First Minister but that should be a formality.

But for a fascinating background read on how we got here, take a read of this blog from Lee Waters - MS who was arguably the first to stab VG in the back...

https://amanwy.blogspot.com/2024/07/dygsu-gwersi.html?spref=tw&m=1
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,674

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Well Kerry Katona has just endorsed Trump according to O.K. Magazine. So that's Kamala in the mud !!!!
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

In 2019 the U.K. and US were both run by men who are now convicted criminals, of course.
    UK has had a PM who was in prison, before. Three times PM, actually.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Must be a lot of undecided then. Everything to play for.
    The remainder is RFK in that poll.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,281
    On Topic - Calling the likely nomination of Kamala Harris for President at the top of new Democratic ticket a "Coronation" is IMHO over the top.

Rather, it looks like it will be a Cakewalk.

Note that yours truly is awaiting determination & announcement of actual rules that will govern nomination proceedings at the 2024 Democratic National Convention, virtual OR in-person.

Which will be established in first instance by the Democratic National Committee, subject to ratification or revision by the Convention.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,402
    On topic:

Kamala, Kamala, Kamala, Kamala, Kamala coronation
    Biden he go, Biden he go-oh-oh-oh
    Winning would be easy if voters were like my dreams
    Red, GOP: not keen; red, GOP: not kee-eeen
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,256
    Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Stanford professor of economics!
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,540
    Whitmer endorses Harris

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Really? Who?
    Penddu2 said:

Forget about USA presidency for now and look at a far more important election with a likely female coronation..... Wales.

It now looks like Eluned Morgan will be the only nominee and could be selected as Welsh Labour Leader on Wednesday. Still needs to be approved as First Minister but that should be a formality.

But for a fascinating background read on how we got here, take a read of this blog from Lee Waters - MS who was arguably the first to stab VG in the back...

In Scotland we have an SNP government who have completely run out of steam and are expending their remaining energy consuming each other. At the 2026 Holyrood elections we have the prospects of Labour replacing them in government possibly with the support of the LibDems.

In Wales the Labour government is also in face-eating mode. But who is going to replace them - a Plaid + Tory ticket?
    edited July 22

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Hic...Burp..

https://ennhri.org/news-and-blog/european-court-of-human-rights-issues-landmark-judgment-on-access-to-abortion-and-rule-of-law-in-poland/#:~:text=case is about?-,The case of M.L.,the basis of foetal abnormalities.
    Read the judgement properly !

The main issue is the Polish constitutional court and how judges were appointed .

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kamala_Harris_2024_presidential_campaign_endorsements

Penddu2 said:

In Scotland we have an SNP government who have completely run out of steam and are expending their remaining energy consuming each other. At the 2026 Holyrood elections we have the prospects of Labour replacing them in government possibly with the support of the LibDems.

In Wales the Labour government is also in face-eating mode. But who is going to replace them - a Plaid + Tory ticket?
    Under the new system I can imagine Plaid+Green with tacit or overt support from the Liberal Democrats might scrape their way to 50 seats.
    edited July 22
    Nunu5 said:

Politics UK @PolitlcsUK
    🚨 NEW: Nigel Farage describes Kamala Harris as a "black African woman" and says Donald Trump would be "delighted" to have her as his opponent

Kamala Harris is not African - her parents are Indian and Jamaican

[ @LBC ]

I see the good MP for Clacton is prioritising the needs of his constituents as always

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Abortion is banned in Malta, an EU/ECHR member, except where the life of the mother is at risk. Abortion is available on request, for a wide variety of reasons, in Denmark, an EU/ECHR member. So how is the EU or ECHR dictating abortion policy?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,975

Damned by faint praise, but I'm sure he's relieved his last two thread headers have met with your approval.
    edited July 22
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Really? Who?
    Winston Churchill was imprisoned by the Boers.

He afterwards based his prisons policies, as Home Sec, on his experiences there.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 574
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Really? Who?
    Ramsay MacDonald?

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Hic...Burp..

"In the first place, the Court found this based on irregularities in the election procedure of judges of the Polish Constitutional Court’s bench, which compromised its legitimacy and rule of law compatibility." So, that's about how Poland's judges were appointed under the Law & Justice Party as much as it's about abortion.
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

In that case Indian or Jamaican at a stretch. African-American or Dual heritage more properly.
    Farage is a nasty racist, but it seems likely he was just trying to say "African American" and got confused.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Really? Who?

He afterwards based his prisons policies, as Home Sec, on his experiences there.
    I'm struggling to work out how Winston was three times PM? 1940-1945 and 1951-1955 were his two terms in office weren't they?

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Farage is a nasty racist, but it seems likely he was just trying to say "African American" and got confused.
    How have we referred to Sunak in the past?

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Really? Who?

Prisoner of war is a bit different from a conviction for false accounting.
    Stereodog said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Really? Who?
    Ramsay MacDonald?
    Don't think he was ever imprisoned, although he was kicked out of his golf club.
    edited July 22
    GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Really? Who?

I'm struggling to work out how Winston was three times PM? 1940-1945 and 1951-1955 were his two terms in office weren't they?
    He was Prime Minister of the National Government from 1940-45, then resigned, was immediately reappointed and formed a 'caretaker' Conservative government. Having lost the elections of 1945 and 1950 he returned to power in 1951.

So yes, three times is technically correct.
    edited July 22

MoanR said:

We should all be very grateful for the time that TSE spends writing headers. (They are generally either good, very good or excellent). Without him the site would be much worse or possibly close.
    I am not sure if @BatteryCorrectHorse is trying to be funny, is unaware of @TSE role in this forum, or is just being rude and juvenile but then I know who I respect in their contribution to this wonderful forum
    Indeed. TSE is basically running the show since OGH became unwell and there would be no PB without him.

Anyone who enjoys this website should be thankful we have TSE to keep the show on the road... Even if he does have terrible taste in shoes and he remains a Posh Boys fanboy! ;)
    Penddu2 said:

That's a rather interesting blog, @Penddu2. Noted and favorited.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Really? Who?

Prisoner of war is a bit different from a conviction for false accounting.
    The Bears were considering charging him with being a civilian while carrying arms on the battlefield - though that wouldn't have worked, since like all officers leaving the army, he was in the reserves.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,935
    I've been really surprised by all the fire and energy around Harris as a candidate. Clearly coordinated, but there is a kind of desperate verve to the online messaging. People are keen to go into battle against Trump.

Will it last?
    Speaking of Robert F. Kennedy, Jr, the number of states where his ballot access as candidate for POTUS has either been achieved or is pending = 34 with 417 Electoral Votes out of 538 total.

RFK Jr's ballot access is being litigated in some of the above, most notably Nevada, where state election officials initial gave his campaign erroneous info as to legal requirement; but reckon courts will rule in his favor due to screwup by state election officials.

Another, more clear cut example, is Washington State, where legal requirement for independent or minor party POTUS candidates is petition signatures from 1,000 registered voters; RFK Jr campaign submitted 4,181 which gives him a cushion that should prove more than adequate after WA Secretary of State verifies his sigs.

In addition look for RFK Jr to qualify in some of the states which are currently listed as "not on ballot" as of now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy_Jr._2024_presidential_campaign

Further note that his campaign has devoted lion's share of effort INCLUDING spending to ballot access efforts, targeted in first instance to battleground states. Of these, ones that he's "not on ballot) are Arizona, Florida, Maine and Wisconsin; other states in that category include Massachusetts and Virginia.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,130
    Nigelb said:

Farage called her Black then half-corrected himself to African-American but made a mess of it because it is not a term we use over here, so it is not in his muscle memory. I'd give him a pass here, even though I disagree with his wider sentiment.
    GIN1138 said:

MoanR said:

I am not sure if @BatteryCorrectHorse is trying to be funny, is unaware of @TSE role in this forum, or is just being rude and juvenile but then I know who I respect in their contribution to this wonderful forum
    Indeed. TSE is basically running the show since OGH became unwell and there would be no PB without him.

Anyone who enjoys this website should be thankful we have TSE to keep the show on the road... Even if he does have terrible taste in shoes and he remains a Posh Boys fanboy! ;)
    Better "Posh" than "Proud"!
    Judging by the VP contenders' media appearances today, Beshear really wants the slot.

A Democrat in a red state with the balls to take this kind of position - and to be re-elected - deserves it, IMO.

Gov. Andy Beshear (D-KY) on his re-election and vetoing anti-trans bills:

"All children are children of God … I was going to stand up for the most marginalized children who didn't deserve either a state legislature or an entire campaign picking on them."

https://x.com/HeartlandSignal/status/1726806702421610566
    edited July 22
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Really? Who?

He was Prime Minister of the National Government from 1940-45, then resigned, was immediately reappointed and formed a 'caretaker' Conservative government. Having lost the elections of 1945 and 1950 he returned to power in 1951.

So yes, three times is technically correct.
    Ah... I didn't know about the "caretaker" appointment. I should read more Boris biographies lol!
This discussion has been closed.