Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bridget Phillipson: To do list. – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

The government is set to introduce a new law to make spiking a specific criminal offence in this week's King's Speech. Spiking is already a crime, covered by other pieces of legislation including the 1861 Offences against the Person Act. But Labour's manifesto, alongside the Conservatives', said creating a new, specific offence would help police better respond to incidents.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c2x0ev00rzmo

I know someone who was a victim of that. The NHS made sure their notes inferred it was not spiking so that the police could wash their hands of it.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

A prison officer has been arrested on suspicion of having an 'inappropriate relationship' with an inmate at a jail.

The officer who is believed to be a mother aged in her 40s is now believed to have been suspended from her job at Highpoint Prison in Stradishall near Haverhill, Suffolk.

A source close to the investigation said that the prison guard allegedly went into a room with the inmate where she performed a sex act on him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13635575/Female-prison-officer-40s-arrested-having-inappropriate-relationship-male-inmate-bodycam-accidentally-switched-performing-sex-act.html

Sounds like a lot of fun getting banged up these days.

The Wandsworth incident prisoners looked like they had hit hookey jackpot with freely available pot, mobile phones and a err 'willing' female officer...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jul/15/judge-dismisses-trump-classified-documents-case

Donald Trump’s criminal case on charges that he illegally retained classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago club was dismissed on Monday by the presiding judge, ruling that the special counsel who brought the case was unlawfully appointed and funded under the US constitution.

That's news to Bill Clinton.
    And possibly SC Justice Kavanaugh, who worked for Ken Starr.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jul/15/judge-dismisses-trump-classified-documents-case

Donald Trump’s criminal case on charges that he illegally retained classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago club was dismissed on Monday by the presiding judge, ruling that the special counsel who brought the case was unlawfully appointed and funded under the US constitution.

Is the judge in the running for Trump's VP pick?
    She is now.
    MattW said:

That's complete BS of course from Judge Loose Cannon. But we know that.

This may now be appealed to the 11th Circuit, as she has finally made a decision.
    Covers Alabama, Georgia and Florida - can't possibly think how they might rule !
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 15
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

UK has almost 1m EV chargers, with new public one installed every 25 minutes
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jul/15/electric-vehicle-ev-chargers-uk-installations

How many of them actually work at any one time?
    During a freezing winter high that can last a couple of weeks. None of them. Ditto the eagle slicers.
    How do electric chargers not work under a freezing winter high? Solar still works in winter and winter high pressures tend to be clear skies (albeit for shorter days). And as for 'eagle slicers' I've yet to see a convincing pile of dead birds under a wind turbine.
    Er no. Winter highs often bring prolonged spells of thick cloud and freezing fog. Good luck charging anything with a solar panel in such conditions in late November and December.
    Whilst I understand your general argument re winter "Dankelflutes" - aren't chargers are surely connected to the general grid rather than a specific site ?
    So we'd have blackouts if the chargers weren't working.

Or is that wrong, are motorway chargers the first things to "drop out" if we can't generate enough load ?
    At least in the UK, more and more Tesla chargers are being paired with battery storage. They might well be the last things operating when the grid drops. And/or selling power back to the grid (time shifting).
    Battery storage is not free.. You have a 10% conversion loss, and charge cycles to deal with, this is more of an issue for rapid charge and discharge which is the proposed purpose here.
    But the power transfer is going to be network to tesla battery near charger - and then from battery to car battery via the charger - and I can't see that additional step consuming more than an extra max 5% conversion loss..

And one of the important things over the next few years is going to be using car batteries as a backup power source for the home, so that spare car battery capacity is used to power the home during the early evening before the car is fully charged over night.
    That works well over a 24 hour cycle.

However if you have a windless and leaden skied three weeks for the first weeks of December then it makes things worse. You are going to need those cars to be stationary and plugged in to keep the grid alive. Which means stopping people driving them.

That will go down well the week before Christmas.
    Um that's where gas comes in as the final backstop...
    Problem is there isn't nearly enough of it. We already had to resort to vast banks of diesel generators to keep the lights on in recent years, and that was when we still had two or three coal fired 2gw power stations to bring on line. Gone now. Plus weve lost some nuclear capacity and new ones are getting later and later.
    What do you mean when you say there isn't much of it?

Do you mean generating capacity?
    Generating capacity.

And: not enough of it, not "isn't much of it"
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    Leon said:

To every neutral American this now looks like a dedicated attempt by the powers-that-be, to take out Trump, by any and all means, up to and including murder
    Yes I bet it does - if by "neutral American" we mean "dumb as a duck Trump supporter".
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    tlg86 said:

The government is set to introduce a new law to make spiking a specific criminal offence in this week's King's Speech. Spiking is already a crime, covered by other pieces of legislation including the 1861 Offences against the Person Act. But Labour's manifesto, alongside the Conservatives', said creating a new, specific offence would help police better respond to incidents.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c2x0ev00rzmo

I know someone who was a victim of that. The NHS made sure their notes inferred it was not spiking so that the police could wash their hands of it.
    Lots of heat and light about spiking using needles, but as far as I am aware, no confirmed cases. Spiking of drinks very much more so, although I think in some cases people can underestimate how much alcohol they have opted to consume and infer spiking, when it did not take place.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,869
    edited July 15
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

This may now be appealed to the 11th Circuit, as she has finally made a decision.
    Covers Alabama, Georgia and Florida - can't possibly think how they might rule !
    IIRC she has had 2 previous ignominious reversals - I think on Trump cases.

Also IIRC, she has reversed a decision from a *very* well respected Judge.

Appeal this week? The 90% written doc will be in Jack Smith's filing cabinet, waiting.

Midas Touch will be exploding with serious commentary some time ago.
  • Dopermean said:

Cookie said:

It's quite simple: let the government put VAT on private school fees for 'fairness', but let people who send their kids to private schools claim back the tax they pay for state schools their kids don't attend. Again, for 'fairness'... ;)

The benefits of state education are not just to one's own kids. They benefit the whole economy by ensuring an educated workforce. Good education reduces crime. Etc. Everyone benefits from other people's kids being educated well. Therefore, everyone, with kids or without, should contribute to the costs of state education.
    It's odd though that that argument reverses at age 18.
    It doesn't, university education benefits the whole economy as well and should, as it was, be paid for out of general taxation.
    That depends on the subject being taught.

Although the current system means that someone doing Ancient Babylonian Basket Weaving Studies having six hours of lectures a week gets themselves into £9,250 a year debt to massively subsidise someone with 25 hours a week of Chemistry lectures and lab.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jul/15/electric-vehicle-ev-chargers-uk-installations

During a freezing winter high that can last a couple of weeks. None of them. Ditto the eagle slicers.
    How do electric chargers not work under a freezing winter high? Solar still works in winter and winter high pressures tend to be clear skies (albeit for shorter days). And as for 'eagle slicers' I've yet to see a convincing pile of dead birds under a wind turbine.
    Er no. Winter highs often bring prolonged spells of thick cloud and freezing fog. Good luck charging anything with a solar panel in such conditions in late November and December.
    Whilst I understand your general argument re winter "Dankelflutes" - aren't chargers are surely connected to the general grid rather than a specific site ?

Or is that wrong, are motorway chargers the first things to "drop out" if we can't generate enough load ?
    At least in the UK, more and more Tesla chargers are being paired with battery storage. They might well be the last things operating when the grid drops. And/or selling power back to the grid (time shifting).
    Battery storage is not free.. You have a 10% conversion loss, and charge cycles to deal with, this is more of an issue for rapid charge and discharge which is the proposed purpose here.
    But the power transfer is going to be network to tesla battery near charger - and then from battery to car battery via the charger - and I can't see that additional step consuming more than an extra max 5% conversion loss..

And one of the important things over the next few years is going to be using car batteries as a backup power source for the home, so that spare car battery capacity is used to power the home during the early evening before the car is fully charged over night.

However if you have a windless and leaden skied three weeks for the first weeks of December then it makes things worse. You are going to need those cars to be stationary and plugged in to keep the grid alive. Which means stopping people driving them.

Except the plan is to get rid of that. What we should be doing is using nuclear as that final backstop - or tidal. But for some reason too many people with influence seem to be opposed to both of these.
    I'm a massive fan of natural gas: it's pretty clean, it's very efficient, and it is highly flexible.

If I were building a sensible long term energy strategy, it would be solar, gas and a little bit of wind.

And we do need flexible generation: tidal is not flexible, and nor is nuclear. How do you fill in gaps when nuclear is down for unscheduled maintenance (happens all the time), and it's that time of day when neither the sun is shining nor the tides are moving?
    The point is that the tidal and nuclear are the backup. They provide a baseline supply when the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine. Tidal particularly is very consistent - unless someone goes all Space 1999 on the moon.

I like gas as well for obvious reasons. But more htan anything I wnt a secure supply and since the current Government seems to be committed to ending all fossil fuel generation, we have to look at viable alternatives. And that means something to underpin the traditional renewables.
    They can't really be backup for the entire grid, and also baseload, though.
    They just reduce the size of the problem.
    Electricity power has to be:-

Baseline - Nuclear / Tidal
    Green - Wind / Solar
    Storage (storing the excess green electricity for use later)..
    Gas for when all else fails...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    edited July 15
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

To every neutral American this now looks like a dedicated attempt by the powers-that-be, to take out Trump, by any and all means, up to and including murder
    You’re beginning to sound unhinged. Next you’ll be showing us pics of you in your Maga hat .
    Someone just tried to kill him, and now one of the several trillion court cases against him has been ruled unconstitutional

I mean, what else does it look like? It looks like what it is. A dedicated all terrain multiforce campaign to take him out of the running. That's what it is, and that's what it looks like

And you know what? You know what makes me not a MAGA nut? I can see the logic. If Trump is THAT much of a threat to the American state and the US constitution, then removing him is justifiable, and employing unusual methods may be valid

I just don't quite agree that he is Hitler, and I reckon some - but not all - of the fear and loathing aimed at him is a form of hysteria

Meanwhile, the ACTUAL President is insane
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    Leon said:

The twat speaks.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,202

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Except the plan is to get rid of that. What we should be doing is using nuclear as that final backstop - or tidal. But for some reason too many people with influence seem to be opposed to both of these.
    I'm a massive fan of natural gas: it's pretty clean, it's very efficient, and it is highly flexible.

If I were building a sensible long term energy strategy, it would be solar, gas and a little bit of wind.

And we do need flexible generation: tidal is not flexible, and nor is nuclear. How do you fill in gaps when nuclear is down for unscheduled maintenance (happens all the time), and it's that time of day when neither the sun is shining nor the tides are moving?
    The point is that the tidal and nuclear are the backup. They provide a baseline supply when the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine. Tidal particularly is very consistent - unless someone goes all Space 1999 on the moon.

I like gas as well for obvious reasons. But more htan anything I wnt a secure supply and since the current Government seems to be committed to ending all fossil fuel generation, we have to look at viable alternatives. And that means something to underpin the traditional renewables.
    Although honestly, building out a ton of solar & wind & then having a pile of gas turbines in the corner for the few times the combination is insufficient will go a long way to radically reducing our carbon load.

Gas turbines are cheap (relative to other sources of power) to install & work great as a last ditch backup power source. Plus you can run them on almost anything if you really have to: https://www.gevernova.com/gas-power/applications/flexible-fuel-offerings
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

And then the Supreme court - where likewise we can guess how they will rule...
    Leon said:

You do realise that the SC, in the recently decided Trump v United States, already said that the appointment of a special counsel by the DOJ doesn't violate the Constitution’s Appointments Clause (which is the basis for her dismissal decision) ?

Only Justice Thomas dissented from that.
    On spiking - not all reports are going to be true -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv27lqqdy44o

"A woman from Bristol is suffering from a brain injury after a suspected drink spiking incident on a night out.

Within a few hours of Simone White, 43, going out with friends, she started to feel "very strange", before collapsing and being rushed to hospital suffering with seizures.

It has been more than a week since the incident, and the mother-of-three says she still cannot speak properly and is struggling to walk.

A consultant told her it is likely she suffered a functional neurological disorder."

(For those who aren't familiar with the term functional neurological disorder (FND) is the modern term for patients experiencing symptoms with no known or proven physical or physiological cause) ME is often termed as an FND by some clinicians, although ME campaigners may dispute the term.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

You do realise that the SC, in the recently decided Trump v United States, already said that the appointment of a special counsel by the DOJ doesn't violate the Constitution’s Appointments Clause (which is the basis for her dismissal decision) ?

I'm not talking about the specifics of this case, dimwit. I'm talking about this verdict arriving in the same week as someone tried to kill Trump

The optics
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I'm not talking about the specifics of this case, dimwit. I'm talking about this verdict arriving in the same week as someone tried to kill Trump

The optics
    You're going to love my afternoon thread if it's put up ;)
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

You’re beginning to sound unhinged. Next you’ll be showing us pics of you in your Maga hat .
    Someone just tried to kill him, and now one of the several trillion court cases against him has been ruled unconstitutional

I mean, what else does it look like? It looks like what it is. A dedicated all terrain multiforce campaign to take him out of the running. That's what it is, and that's what it looks like

And you know what? You know what makes me not a MAGA nut? I can see the logic. If Trump is THAT much of a threat to the American state and the US constitution, then removing him is justifiable, and employing unusual methods may be valid

I just don't quite agree that he is Hitler, and I reckon some - but not all - of the fear and loathing aimed at him is a form of hysteria

Maybe if he hadn't cheered on an insurrection where people died in an effort to change the legitimate outcome of the election he wouldn't have these problems.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

You can fill in the gaps for those times of day when the tides are not moving by having more than one tidal station.
    A quick Google shows that when it is high tide in Swansea Bay, it is low tide in Morecambe Bay. So actually that doesn't help much, because what you need is two stations where high tide at station a = mid tide at station b. But that must be achievable?

Until relatively recently, I thought high tide would be high tide everywhere in England. But no.
    Tides basically go clockwise round GB (but some turns off right and they meet at Southampton) so yes you have a smooth progression of high tide times
    Assuming you have locations on all four corners of the UK that are suitable for tidal energy.
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The optics
    It will be a huge relief if someone on this board has a brain - apart from me - and takes a deep breath and steps back and assesses how this looks
  • eek said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

They can't really be backup for the entire grid, and also baseload, though.
    They just reduce the size of the problem.
    Electricity power has to be:-

Baseline - Nuclear / Tidal
    Green - Wind / Solar
    Storage (storing the excess green electricity for use later)..
    Gas for when all else fails...
    The third one is the difficult bit.

For nuclear I would prefer Thorium on safety/less cleanup grounds. But the inability to use Thorium reactors to make weapons material means that rolling out Thorium isn't possible - yet.

Then there is the Holy Grail - Fusion. If they can ever get it to produce energy continuously on an industrial scale.

There is a case that private school fees, up to the level of average state school per pupil yearly cost should be tax deductible to encourage their use, so that taxpayer has to provide less school funding.

Every parent sending their kid to private school lessens the load on the taxpayer.

Such a policy if linked to both increased academic ability linked burseries and twinninUg of private and state schools with pooled staff, might actually be genuinely progressive.

It might need a regulatory cap on the number of overseas students at private schools to work though.

To be "progressive" a policy needs to weaken the link between quality of schooling received and parental bank balance. This would likely strengthen it, I'd have thought.

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Maybe if he hadn't cheered on an insurrection where people died in an effort to change the legitimate outcome of the election he wouldn't have these problems.
    Equally, it would be better if the Democrats had not conspired to hide the insanity of the POTUS, from the voters, for months if not years

Which is worse? Which is more threatening to America? A mad president or a bad president? I reckon mad is marginally worse
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    Leon said:

Trump appointed judge dismisses case against Trump on an irrelevant technicality.

You don't need to be super partisan to smell a rat here.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    Leon said:

You remind me of Dr Strangelove. The restraint has just all but failed.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

You can fill in the gaps for those times of day when the tides are not moving by having more than one tidal station.
    A quick Google shows that when it is high tide in Swansea Bay, it is low tide in Morecambe Bay. So actually that doesn't help much, because what you need is two stations where high tide at station a = mid tide at station b. But that must be achievable?

Until relatively recently, I thought high tide would be high tide everywhere in England. But no.
    Tides basically go clockwise round GB (but some turns off right and they meet at Southampton) so yes you have a smooth progression of high tide times
    Assuming you have locations on all four corners of the UK that are suitable for tidal energy.
    I think they use the up and down aspect of tide rather than lateral flow. So wherever you have a harbour you presumably have a sheltered environments for in which to make a little tidal basin. Access to the grid is the other part of the equation.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Equally, it would be better if the Democrats had not conspired to hide the insanity of the POTUS, from the voters, for months if not years

Which is worse? Which is more threatening to America? A mad president or a bad president? I reckon mad is marginally worse
    When you step back and look at what happened during Trump's time in office, it wasn't that bad. The world didn't end, North Korea stepped back from being stupid etc. As a president he was ok. But you cannot condone what he did around Jan 6th. You just can't

Biden is increasingly unsuitable. However if it was just a case of getting to the election and then him stepping down it would be less serious. He is not taking mad decisions but he is clearly declining at an alarming rate, and probably doesn't realise it. I am sure that many of those around him have been hiding a lot of this as best they can. It doesn't make them worse though.
    edited July 15
    Trump will be announcing his VP choice today - Foxnews
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The optics
    It will be a huge relief if someone on this board has a brain - apart from me - and takes a deep breath and steps back and assesses how this looks
    Yep that's it. Everyone on the site is stupid except one.
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

How's your MAGA cap looking in the mirror? Like it?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

mwadams said:

Mortimer said:

theProle said:

Who could have predicted this?

State schools are being flooded with new pupil queries as parents brace for a planned tax raid on private schools.

Schools in Surrey received close to 600 queries in just two weeks last month from parents looking to place children, the Telegraph has learnt.

Surrey County Council received 582 email queries from private school parents between June 4 and June 19 asking about vacancies in local state schools, a Freedom of Information request showed.

The local education authority admitted the actual figure could be far higher as numerous requests may relate to more than one child and the figure does not include telephone queries.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/jobs/schools-universities/state-schools-flooded-private-school-new-pupils/

And the problem is?
    That the cost of education for these kids is going to vastly exceed the VAT raised on the ones left in the private sector.

Also, even if this was revenue neutral in the medium term it's going to cause chaos in the short term as state schools are getting a pile of unexpected demand they are likely to be ill equipped to meet given that demand is normally fairly visible literally years in advance from the birth data.
    This is the hunting ban for Starmer's government. Its not about the money, its the principle.
    The principles of envy, nastiness and chippyness. Targeting children to satisfy left wing pathetic petty hatreds.
    The negative externalities of this childish and nasty policy are going to hit Labour voters hard.

It won't be forgotten by lots of parents.
    How many requests do they normally get? It's a meaningless number without a baseline (preferably YoY as there are bound to be more requests in the months leading up to school year end.)
    Don't know, but a quick google says that there are about 200 000 pupils in Surrey of whom about 40 000 go to independent schools.

https://www.surreyi.gov.uk/dataset/2y3j8/number-of-schools-and-pupils-by-type-of-school

The private schools are very geographically concentrated in London, Edinburgh, and the M3/M4 corridor. Councils like Surrey will really notice if pupils move in any significant number.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    Shares in Donald Trump’s social media company have soared after his attempted assassination, adding $1.8bn (£1.4bn) to the former president’s wealth.

Trump Media and Technology, the parent company of Truth Social, rose as much as 50pc as trading began in New York. Mr Trump owns around 60pc of the company.
    On the Trump stolen documents case, I do wonder how quickly it could now get to trial - the case itself being the simplest of all of them, and pretty much Open and Shut.
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The optics
    To every neutral American that looks like a political judge.
    I know you're a scofflaw, but the decision is nonsense on its face. It also means that the investigation of Hunter Biden was illegal.

It's just rubbish.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

As I said to you, in a comment I told you to bookmark, if and when the Dems replace a clearly mad president, I will support that person against Trump

In that light, how am I MAGA?

This site is effing ridiculous. It cannot do nuance
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

Trump appointed judge dismisses case against Trump on an irrelevant technicality.

How's that different from Dem appointed prosecutor cobbles together questionable charges and takes them to Dem judge ?

If youre going to mess around with the legal system stop whingeing if the other side follows your lead.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467

It's quite simple: let the government put VAT on private school fees for 'fairness', but let people who send their kids to private schools claim back the tax they pay for state schools their kids don't attend. Again, for 'fairness'... ;)

The benefits of state education are not just to one's own kids. They benefit the whole economy by ensuring an educated workforce. Good education reduces crime. Etc. Everyone benefits from other people's kids being educated well. Therefore, everyone, with kids or without, should contribute to the costs of state education.
    But those with kids in private education are paying for education twice. How is that 'fair' ? ;)
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

I don't think that's necessary? Doubtless others on here know better than me, but I've just googled some random locations and Pembroke and Holyhead are roughly in antiphase - on that basis I'd guess it's only about 60 miles from somewhere mid-tide to somewhere slack tide. If you can find three or four locations around the UK you'd be very unlucky to find the tide synched at all of them.
    edited July 15
    eek said:

Trump will be announcing his VP choice today - Foxnews

Oooh - an early payout (Or not :D ) on the markets. On Haley & Rubio directly and Burgum by presidential proxy.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

As I said to you, in a comment I told you to bookmark, if and when the Dems replace a clearly mad president, I will support that person against Trump

Our lefties are getting tetchy now they have to defend a government record and cant just sit around shouting Trump or Boris.

But those with kids in private education are paying for education twice. How is that 'fair' ? ;)
    How are they paying for it twice, it's possible that their tax is being used in other areas such as roads or defence...

Being less awkward £44 in every £1000 of tax is being spend on education so a family paying £50,000 in tax is only spending at best £2200 on state education..
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The optics
    To every neutral American that looks like a political judge.
    I know you're a scofflaw, but the decision is nonsense on its face. It also means that the investigation of Hunter Biden was illegal.

It's just rubbish.
    Yet again we come up against the conclusion that little, if anything, about American governance is to be admired. Or indeed worth recommending to less developed states, as for example Haiti!

FF43 said:

Leon said:

How's that different from Dem appointed prosecutor cobbles together questionable charges and takes them to Dem judge ?

If youre going to mess around with the legal system stop whingeing if the other side follows your lead.
    The whole problem with the US is that you can call a judge Democrat / Republican and you know that the bias is real..
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited July 15
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Doesn't need 4 corners, given you can generate on rising and falling tide. Only a few hours offset is needed really so as to avoid slack tides coinciding.

If we could use tidal streams though that would be a big win.

If you stand at Duncansby Head and watch the Pentland Firth it is quite obvious how much power there is available from the tide. Must be TW, never mind GW.

This thread was a figment of your imagination

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517

NEW THREAD

edited July 15
    Commentary aound guns and violence from Margery Taylor-Greene.

Eye-opening. This is how loopy Trumpists have become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmFkEilsl_8
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    Phil said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Although honestly, building out a ton of solar & wind & then having a pile of gas turbines in the corner for the few times the combination is insufficient will go a long way to radically reducing our carbon load.

Gas turbines are cheap (relative to other sources of power) to install & work great as a last ditch backup power source. Plus you can run them on almost anything if you really have to: https://www.gevernova.com/gas-power/applications/flexible-fuel-offerings
    As I said to Robert, I agree. The issue here though is that apparently the people making the decisions do not agree and are committed to ending the use of fossil fuels for power generation.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    The new government is about to eat its first bowl of shit. The "Titanic" shipyard is asking for £200m in loan guarantees to start a new defence project, they say without it the shipyard is unsustainable. The treasury says that the loan guarantee will just help the owners pay itself a big dividend from the shipyard and they're probably right.

If the government refuses there's a very real chance the shipyard goes under and all the jobs/skills are lost and if they do the subsidy scheme there's a very good chance the shareholders will immediately suck that cash out of the business anyway and leave the taxpayer on the hook for £200m.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 269
    Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

That's a bit different, tides are extremely predictable, but don't match the 24 hr clock (Unlike solar) or have the unpredictable variation of wind. They're not as flexible as gas either.
    Tide is based on tidal current, every 6 and a bit hours there's a pause ~ 0.5 hour then it flows in the opposite direction. Tidal provides very predictable base load, see La Rance.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

A prison officer has been arrested on suspicion of having an 'inappropriate relationship' with an inmate at a jail.

The officer who is believed to be a mother aged in her 40s is now believed to have been suspended from her job at Highpoint Prison in Stradishall near Haverhill, Suffolk.

A source close to the investigation said that the prison guard allegedly went into a room with the inmate where she performed a sex act on him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13635575/Female-prison-officer-40s-arrested-having-inappropriate-relationship-male-inmate-bodycam-accidentally-switched-performing-sex-act.html

Sounds like a lot of fun getting banged up these days.

There does appear to be one of these every couple of weeks at the moment. How’s about men’s prisons stop employing women as guards? If nothing else, it must be a safety risk to the women.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 269

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Doesn't need 4 corners, given you can generate on rising and falling tide. Only a few hours offset is needed really so as to avoid slack tides coinciding.

If we could use tidal streams though that would be a big win.

If you stand at Duncansby Head and watch the Pentland Firth it is quite obvious how much power there is available from the tide. Must be TW, never mind GW.
    The problem with putting your tidal turbine in very high flows is that the high flow also carries debris that can damage your turbine, particularly if located close to the seabed. There's a happy medium.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Our lefties are getting tetchy now they have to defend a government record and cant just sit around shouting Trump or Boris.

Self-aware much? You're been crying into your cornflakes over Starmer for months.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467
    eek said:

How are they paying for it twice, it's possible that their tax is being used in other areas such as roads or defence...

Being less awkward £44 in every £1000 of tax is being spend on education so a family paying £50,000 in tax is only spending at best £2200 on state education..
    The argument from bondegzou was that people pay taxes for a state education because it benefits everyone, not just parents whose kids go to state schools. The cost of educating one child of the child's age at a school in their local authority area should be reimbersed. You know, because of fairness. ;)

And if only £2,200, then that £2,200 would not pay for the schooling, but it would help offset the VAT on the school fees. In reality it would be much more.
This discussion has been closed.