Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bridget Phillipson: To do list. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,706
    edited July 15

theakes said:

Then she has the Private Schools Vat fee mess to sort out with what 40,000 - 80,000 children suddenly transferring into the State system and requiring extra teachers and resources.
    What you say you will do when in Opposition is not the same as what you can do in Government.

If 40000 to 80000 schoolchildren move into the state system I am sure they can be accommodated in this falling rolls environment. The teachers laid off by the independent sector will follow them.

Not sure I would label it as a "mess", more an "opportunity"
    And former independent school teachers with classes of 30 rather than 15 will be just the kind of increase in productivity that this country needs…
    How many of the former private school teachers will have the correct qualifications for the state sector?
    You'd be surprised. When I was a teacher in the independent sector all new teachers did the on the job PGCE and came out qualified. This included teaching practices in different schools. Contrast that to a State primary school near me now that quite regularly subs in HTLAs for teacher absences.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    SATs should be retained as a means of measuring educational attainment. Free schools and academies offer choice to parents and also should be retained
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Leon said:

Leon said:

In about a week the deranged Democrats will go back to calling Trump “Hitler” - they can’t help themselves. A couple on TwiX are nearly there already

There’s a reasonable chance, with this rhetoric, that someone will take ANOTHER pot shot at the Donald

How will a whacko get another chance? Security is going to be presumably off the scale now for both candidates until polling day.
    Yes. It will be MUCH harder. I’m just saying I wouldn’t be surprised if someone tries

The way the Dems have gone from saying “Trump is worse than Hitler” to “everyone must dial down the rhetoric” is painfully comic. And transparently hypocritical

Of course, it would have been better if they’d not gone hysterical a year ago. Then they wouldn’t be in this pickle. Likewise, it would have been better if they’d acknowledged Biden’s senility a year ago. But no
    How quickly we forget.

Donald Trump Says President Biden a Threat to Democracy
    https://www.c-span.org/video/?c5098436/donald-trump-president-biden-threat-democracy-quotes-putin-orban
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Leon said:

In about a week the deranged Democrats will go back to calling Trump “Hitler” - they can’t help themselves. A couple on TwiX are nearly there already

There’s a reasonable chance, with this rhetoric, that someone will take ANOTHER pot shot at the Donald

Everyone in America needs to calm down a bit.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Nigelb said:

I see the Thomas Crooks who is said to have donated $15 to Act Blue is now claimed not to be the same guy. He's a 69 year old, apparently.

The 69 year old has been ruled out
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    eek said:

tlg86 said:

This is damning...

https://x.com/xGPhilosophy/status/1812592531772723482

@xGPhilosophy
    England created less xG at Euro 2024 (6.43) than Croatia (7.10).

Croatia went out at the Group Stage.

We won't win anything with Harry Kane in the squad - he's a talisman for near but not quite...
    Just discussed this with a colleague. I assume Kane MUST have won a trophy at kids level, before he turned professional. Maybe school under 9s? If not he really has been cursed.

I see the King is well enough to go to Australia but not Germany to support the football team.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2024/07/14/king-charles-australia-samoa-state-visit-camilla/

As I said last night the King has no interest in football but the Prince of Wales does so he went instead
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    edited July 15
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

DuraAce, FPT, misses a point.

...The character of the weapon isn't really germane because there are plenty of other less scary rifles that will kill somebody if you shoot them in the head at 120m...

If, as Democrats have long campaigned for, automatic weapons like the AR15 were banned, the shooter would likely have gotten off maybe a couple of shots, rather than half a dozen.

I don’t think that the Democrats, as a party, have argued for the banning on semi-automatic weapons as a class. Or even long barrelled semi-automatic weapons. Those are the things that might make a difference.

Full auto weapons are regulated, already, to an almost sensible level.

What they have argued for, is a ban on “assault weapons”. Which is a bit futile, since the same barrel and action can be packaged in a nice, safe looking wood.

Regulating firearms by what they look like is silly. It’s what they do that is the issue.
    It's a pretty wide category as defined in their legislation.
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=PDF&sessYr=2023&sessInd=0&billBody=S&billTyp=B&billNbr=0200&pn=0723
    That legislation wouldn’t stop the sale of an AR-15 action, dressed up in some nice wood.

Confronting the actual problem is politically too expensive in the US. Hence stuff like legislation against bayonet lugs…
    Had it been able to be passed, the weapon in question could nt have been sold, or would have been confiscated.
    As it stands, the SC will strike down any such legislation anyway.
    My point is that the gun manufacturers would simply put the same action in a different looking package. This is what they did previously for such “assault weapon” bans.

The resulting weapons would have identical capability.

Think about this -

Is that a nasty assault weapon?
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,706
    edited July 15

theakes said:

Then she has the Private Schools Vat fee mess to sort out with what 40,000 - 80,000 children suddenly transferring into the State system and requiring extra teachers and resources.
    What you say you will do when in Opposition is not the same as what you can do in Government.

If 40000 to 80000 schoolchildren move into the state system I am sure they can be accommodated in this falling rolls environment. The teachers laid off by the independent sector will follow them.

Not sure I would label it as a "mess", more an "opportunity"
    And former independent school teachers with classes of 30 rather than 15 will be just the kind of increase in productivity that this country needs…
    yes, I agree...

:neutral:
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,310
    edited July 15
    Nigelb said:

I see the Thomas Crooks who is said to have donated $15 to Act Blue is now claimed not to be the same guy. He's a 69 year old, apparently.

It's always worth waiting rather than jumping to conclusions.

At the moment it just seems utterly bizarre that the apparent would-be assassin appears to have been a quite unremarkable lad with no particular political opinions. I await further information (actual information, that is, not Twitter/X-style Chinese whispers).

Morning all - Doug Burgum has slipped into fav position for veep on BF.

Would be a gamble if so, Bergum is the most anti abortion of the three Trump is considering. He might boost evangelical turnout but would be a risk with independents.

He was a successful businessman and North Dakota governor though and a billionaire like Trump
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

One suspects that we’ve seen the last outdoor political rally for some time. The Secret Service are now going to want every event attended by the candidates totally locked down and entirely under their own control, which means hiring an arena or a theatre rather than using a local showground.
    They could have tried sweeping nearby rooves prior to an event. To be perfectly frank it was an ideal point for one of their own counter-snipers. I can't fathom how on earth they missed that roof, it is such an unbelievably clear sniper point.
    It is increasingly suspicious. The roof is so close and clearly the best place to shoot from. There are also photos of the ladder he calmly put in place to climb the roof. No one noticed ANY of this? Well yeah, the rally goers noticed and told the cops - who did nothing for several minutes

The flag is also apparently a no-no. That indicates wind speed/direction to a sniper - they use them at firing ranges

https://tecmagex.com/en/mtm-wind-reader-shooting-range-flag.html

Could still easily be a cock-up, of course. But if so it is monumental

I think it was a monumental cock-up but amongst Trump's base there's going to be precisely the square root of zero people that will believe that. Just so bad to leave a roof like that open.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How will a whacko get another chance? Security is going to be presumably off the scale now for both candidates until polling day.
    Yes. It will be MUCH harder. I’m just saying I wouldn’t be surprised if someone tries

The way the Dems have gone from saying “Trump is worse than Hitler” to “everyone must dial down the rhetoric” is painfully comic. And transparently hypocritical

Of course, it would have been better if they’d not gone hysterical a year ago. Then they wouldn’t be in this pickle. Likewise, it would have been better if they’d acknowledged Biden’s senility a year ago. But no
    How quickly we forget.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c5098436/donald-trump-president-biden-threat-democracy-quotes-putin-orban
    There seems to have been a collective amnesia from some who are now painting Trump as the poor victim who has spent the last 8 years promoting peace and unity !

• boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

One suspects that we’ve seen the last outdoor political rally for some time. The Secret Service are now going to want every event attended by the candidates totally locked down and entirely under their own control, which means hiring an arena or a theatre rather than using a local showground.
    They could have tried sweeping nearby rooves prior to an event. To be perfectly frank it was an ideal point for one of their own counter-snipers. I can't fathom how on earth they missed that roof, it is such an unbelievably clear sniper point.
    It is increasingly suspicious. The roof is so close and clearly the best place to shoot from. There are also photos of the ladder he calmly put in place to climb the roof. No one noticed ANY of this? Well yeah, the rally goers noticed and told the cops - who did nothing for several minutes

The flag is also apparently a no-no. That indicates wind speed/direction to a sniper - they use them at firing ranges

You would think the local rozzers if not the SS would have a drone flying around keeping an eye on the crowd and the environs from the sky. Simple and cheap and would have noticed and investigated the AR15 Kid much earlier.
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,059
    Thanks for the header @ydoethur. I don't really disagree with any of it, but I'd love to read a follow up on potential solutions. Some of us have to work within this system.

In my view, we need a clear-eyed acceptance as teachers that there isn't going to be more money any time soon - although schools need it, other sectors need it more.

Instead, we need to do less but do it well. I would look at things like shorter teaching days with more use of AI-driven independent study (compulsory, supervised in school) to make up the hours and fulfil the childcare function.

School staff use the extra time to do more of the planning/mental health support/counselling/SEND intervention that we are all asked to do anyway but don't have time to do well.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

There seems to have been a collective amnesia from some who are now painting Trump as the poor victim who has spent the last 8 years promoting peace and unity !

Well quite. I find him the most frightening political phenomenon of my life including the cold war but saying so is now deranged bedwetting and encouragement of assassination attempts.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    maxh said:

Thanks for the header @ydoethur. I don't really disagree with any of it, but I'd love to read a follow up on potential solutions. Some of us have to work within this system.

In my view, we need a clear-eyed acceptance as teachers that there isn't going to be more money any time soon - although schools need it, other sectors need it more.

Instead, we need to do less but do it well. I would look at things like shorter teaching days with more use of AI-driven independent study (compulsory, supervised in school) to make up the hours and fulfil the childcare function.

School staff use the extra time to do more of the planning/mental health support/counselling/SEND intervention that we are all asked to do anyway but don't have time to do well.

You still need someone in the classroom - so what have you saved?

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

...The character of the weapon isn't really germane because there are plenty of other less scary rifles that will kill somebody if you shoot them in the head at 120m...

If, as Democrats have long campaigned for, automatic weapons like the AR15 were banned, the shooter would likely have gotten off maybe a couple of shots, rather than half a dozen.

I don’t think that the Democrats, as a party, have argued for the banning on semi-automatic weapons as a class. Or even long barrelled semi-automatic weapons. Those are the things that might make a difference.

What they have argued for, is a ban on “assault weapons”. Which is a bit futile, since the same barrel and action can be packaged in a nice, safe looking wood.

Regulating firearms by what they look like is silly. It’s what they do that is the issue.
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=PDF&sessYr=2023&sessInd=0&billBody=S&billTyp=B&billNbr=0200&pn=0723
    That legislation wouldn’t stop the sale of an AR-15 action, dressed up in some nice wood.

Confronting the actual problem is politically too expensive in the US. Hence stuff like legislation against bayonet lugs…
    Had it been able to be passed, the weapon in question could nt have been sold, or would have been confiscated.
    My point is that the gun manufacturers would simply put the same action in a different looking package. This is what they did previously for such “assault weapon” bans.

Think about this -

Can just imagine Dura with that.
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,059
    eek said:

maxh said:

You still need someone in the classroom - so what have you saved?
    Do it in the main hall, library etc so the ratios are much higher
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

You would think the local rozzers if not the SS would have a drone flying around keeping an eye on the crowd and the environs from the sky. Simple and cheap and would have noticed and investigated the AR15 Kid much earlier.
    Of course sleepy Joe gets the A team presumably, Spain to Trump's England. Perhaps they only have so many drones.
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,097
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Isn't the real issue that the best gun control can possibly do is restrict the further sale of guns?

Trying to get literally millions of guns, out of the hands of hundreds of thousands of people who don't want to give them up, is a total non-starter - more people would die in the resultant civil war than have been shot since the USA formed.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766
    edited July 15
    "It is not a coincidence that only one secretary of state for education has ever been Prime Minister. I don’t see that run changing."

Too bad as she was by far and away the best peacetime PM we ever had..
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,349
    Trump has had a very close brush with death. He's just said "!'m supposed to be dead". This must have a profound effect on him, surely?

He says he's radically changing his speech at the Convention. This could be the pivotal moment - much more than the debate.

Can he change his rhetoric? Blunt the Democrat charge of a danger to democracy? Be a reasonable chap?

Mmm. We'll soon see.
    theProle said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Isn't the real issue that the best gun control can possibly do is restrict the further sale of guns?

Trying to get literally millions of guns, out of the hands of hundreds of thousands of people who don't want to give them up, is a total non-starter - more people would die in the resultant civil war than have been shot since the USA formed.
    Quite. And they last for centuries if you clean them occasionally, and loading your own ammunition is dead easy if they restrict that.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    edited July 15
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Think about this -

M1 Garand. That 7.62x51 will knock you right out of your trainers at 500m.
    edited July 15
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

You could also stop spreading disinformation. The "69 year old alternative Thomas Crooks who apparently made the donation to the Dems" was a load of bull. It was the shooter who made the donation. Read the New York Times, they're doing the most in-depth stuff

"Investigators were scouring his online presence and working to gain access to his phone, but so far had not found indications of strongly held political beliefs. In fact, the clues he left behind were confusing: He was a registered Republican but had also donated to a progressive cause in 2021; his parents were registered as a Democrat and Libertarian."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/14/us/politics/trump-gunman-thomas-crooks.html

boulay said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Of course sleepy Joe gets the A team presumably, Spain to Trump's England. Perhaps they only have so many drones.
    They have a $3.2 Bn budget !
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Good morning one and all!

My concern over the shooting is what Trump will make of it, given the bog the Security Service appear to have made.
    I fear, although obviously I hope I’m wrong, is that he will publically interpret it as a conspiracy by Biden/the Democrats to place him in jeopardy, and that ‘someone’ arranged for the foolish young man to take advantage of the poor security arrangements.

Or am I overthinking?
    HYUFD said:

SATs should be retained as a means of measuring educational attainment. Free schools and academies offer choice to parents and also should be retained

The main issue I have with SATS is that they measure how well a kid does in SATS, which is not the same as measuring attainment.

I can't recall who it was, but I remember reading about someone who became obsessed with IQ tests as a kid, did loads, got very good at them to the point that his school thought he was a genius and moved him into a high flyers programme.
    He wasn't a high flier - he had just learned how to do IQ.
    I worry that the same is true of SATS.
    Only a year or two down the road, some of the many millions of weaponised FV drones produced annually and used in Ukraine are going to start showing up in the US - and quite possibly here, too. It's not a nice prospect.

And the drone operators are getting very good at evading countermeasures.
    Pulpstar said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

They have a $3.2 Bn budget !
    I might put a rival bid in
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    HYUFD said:

I see the King is well enough to go to Australia but not Germany to support the football team.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2024/07/14/king-charles-australia-samoa-state-visit-camilla/

As I said last night the King has no interest in football but the Prince of Wales does so he went instead
    Makes sense. I'd rather vhave someone who appreciates it having the best seats.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    So there is no point doing anything about schools, they'll always be bad, and the only thing that they can do is give more money for teachers.
    nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

Just say "it's a shame he missed". It's what you're thinking. I imagine a decent chunk of PB is thinking this. Thousands of American lefties are straight out saying it on TwiX. There's no shame in it if you REALLY think he is as bad as Hitler, because political violence, in that context, is arguably justified
    theProle said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Problem is that some people just love guns for a myriad of reasons so restricting their sale is one battle but the other is getting people to give them up.

Below is an extract from my local rag last week about gun ownership. Now it’s probably one of the safest places on the planet but some people got to have their guns, and er Bazookas.

“ A FREEDOM-OF-INFORMATION request has laid bare the extent of gun ownership in Jersey, revealing that more than 8,300 firearms – including an anti-tank gun, a bazooka, two walking-stick guns and nearly 1,500 semi-automatic pistols – are privately owned under 1,162 licences.

As of 11 June, the number of active licences was 1,162, with the number of firearms and component parts totalling 8,378.
    These include 1,454 semi-automatic pistols, 1,371 bolt action rifles, 858 over and under shotguns, and 782 revolvers – as well as a pen-gun, two walking-stick guns, an anti-tank gun and an anti-tank rifle, and a bazooka.

The police confirmed that deactivated firearms do not need to be licensed, so these are all presumed to be live firearms.”
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

You could also stop spreading disinformation. The "69 year old alternative Thomas Crooks who apparently made the donation to the Dems" was a load of bull. It was the shooter who made the donation. Read the New York Times, they're doing the most in-depth stuff

"Investigators were scouring his online presence and working to gain access to his phone, but so far had not found indications of strongly held political beliefs. In fact, the clues he left behind were confusing: He was a registered Republican but had also donated to a progressive cause in 2021; his parents were registered as a Democrat and Libertarian."

He registered republican specifically to vote for Nikki Hayley against Trump. I do not think he was a "genuine republican".
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Barnesian said:

Trump has had a very close brush with death. He's just said "!'m supposed to be dead". This must have a profound effect on him, surely?

In between wishing he'd had his stupid fucking intricately trichologised head blown right off, I was contemplating this last night.

There is no way that such a very close brush with death won't have a psychological effect on him. Though it may take a while to manifest. #askmehowiknow
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766

Good morning one and all!

My concern over the shooting is what Trump will make of it, given the bog the Security Service appear to have made.
    I fear, although obviously I hope I’m wrong, is that he will publically interpret it as a conspiracy by Biden/the Democrats to place him in jeopardy, and that ‘someone’ arranged for the foolish young man to take advantage of the poor security arrangements.

Or am I overthinking?

If it does, it will convince only the already convinced. That might boost turnout slightly, though my guess is that by November this will be largely irrelevant, though probably not forgotten entirely.

The truth is I think that America is so polarised, and the two candidates so well known already, that the scope for shifting voting intentions seems very low. I was just in Denver, amongst mostly Republican friends, after a month on the heavily blue West Coast. I just haven't met anybody who seems undecided yet, or even slightly doubtful, unlike previous elections.
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

Just say "it's a shame he missed". It's what you're thinking. I imagine a decent chunk of PB is thinking this. Thousands of American lefties are straight out saying it on TwiX. There's no shame in it if you REALLY think he is as bad as Hitler, because political violence, in that context, is arguably justified
    He doesn't have to be Hitler to be a threat to democracy.
    And you don't save democracy by resorting to such means.

I think I know what you're thinking, too. But I won't demean the discourse by sharing it.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I linked to an interesting twitter thread earlier. It posits - from a reasonable position IMV - that there are 'rings' of security. The Secret Service are responsible for the interior ring around the subject. Rings outside this are often the responsibility of local law enforcement. That rooftop was on a different property from the one Trump was appearing on, and could well have been the responsibility of local law enforcement to keep clear.

It's perfectly feasible that hhey (the Secret Service or local law enforcement or a.n.other) might have swept the roof the day before, or even a couple of hours before, and a local cop then dropped a bollock and let the shooter through.

We'll learn more as the inquiries go on - although there might be a tension between explaining what happened, and hiding the was the Secret Service works.

In addition, the counter-snipers are supposed to concentrate on long-distance threats - the nearer threats are supposed to be dealt with by the Secret Service and/or local cops in the nearer rings. This is why the sniper had to depress his weapon in order to hit the shooter - he was concentrating on threats further out.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Barnesian said:

He says he's radically changing his speech at the Convention. This could be the pivotal moment - much more than the debate.

Can he change his rhetoric? Blunt the Democrat charge of a danger to democracy? Be a reasonable chap?

Mmm. We'll soon see.

I expect him to hold it together and deliver some guff about unity and bringing the country together. Some gullible people will lap it up and say he’s a changed man . Can he keep this going for 4 months.
    edited July 15

Nigelb said:

It's always worth waiting rather than jumping to conclusions.

At the moment it just seems utterly bizarre that the apparent would-be assassin appears to have been a quite unremarkable lad with no particular political opinions. I await further information (actual information, that is, not Twitter/X-style Chinese whispers).
    If you are conspiratorially minded, he is a perfect cleanskin

There's a puzzling line in the NYT analysis. It says "the explosives in the car [of the shooter] suggest he expected to survive the sassytempt"

How the F would you expect to survive an obvious sassytempt on Trump,..... unless you expected protection from the police?

If so, some police didn't get the memo and shot his head to pieces in 15 seconds. Or the police/someone lied to him

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I’m sure it was swept up in advance, but the issue was then that it wasn’t properly guarded.

There’s a suggestion that a local policeman did get up on the roof just prior to the shooting, but he backed off after having the gun pointed at him. There’s also someone purporting to be one of the counter-snipers that did eventually take him out, posting on a police forum suggesting that they knew about him for a couple of minutes but they were waiting for confirmation that he was a target.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2024/07/14/gop_was_investigating_secret_service_before_assassination_attempt__151261.html
    https://x.com/doctor_i_am_the/status/1812524535775912173
    Barnesian said:

Mmm. We'll soon see.

I was wondering the same. He could go messianic “I survived death so god must want me to be the big man” or he could have a bit of a post-traumatic downer when the adrenaline wears off and be much more conciliatory.

If there is anyone wise with his ear they could make it clear that he could romp home to victory if he suddenly becomes the “unifying president” and he wants to end the splits in the country, tones down the rhetoric and says he wants to build a broad church and be a president for the democrats as well as republicans.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

HYUFD said:

The main issue I have with SATS is that they measure how well a kid does in SATS, which is not the same as measuring attainment.

I can't recall who it was, but I remember reading about someone who became obsessed with IQ tests as a kid, did loads, got very good at them to the point that his school thought he was a genius and moved him into a high flyers programme.
    We did that for the 11+ seventy years ago.
    Dura_Ace said:

Barnesian said:

In between wishing he'd had his stupid fucking intricately trichologised head blown right off, I was contemplating this last night.

There is no way that such a very close brush with death won't have a psychological effect on him. Though it may take a while to manifest. #askmehowiknow
    He will give everything away and take to the road like Jules in Pulp fiction
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    Maybe Trump will go full on WWE, rise out of a coffin at the convention.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    edited July 15
    nico679 said:

So Trump will bring the country together . It’s like the last 8 years never happened . He’s done more to polarize the USA than any other President.

Even if he stays on the unity message at the RNC it is inevitable that he will back to his raging lunatic self before the election. Trump would happily directly blame Biden for the shooting if he thought it would get him a vote.
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

He registered republican specifically to vote for Nikki Hayley against Trump. I do not think he was a "genuine republican".
    The NYT has the skinny. He is notably apolitical, if anything.Also no criminal record, no drug history, no mental disorders, never got into trouble, nothing! The ultimate cleanskin
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

They might not want drones. For some examples: they might have anti-drone measures that preclude their own drones. Or because if they see a drone in the sky, they know it's hostile. Or one of their drones might be taken over by a hostile actor and used as a weapon. Or for noise reasons. Or perhaps because they still might not have identified the shooter as a threat, and not a local law enforcement sniper (see the post I made on the previous thread).

One thing's definite: it won't just be a single point of failure, with one person to blame. There should be many lessons coming out of this.
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

Do we know that for sure? We keep on getting told he had little or no Internet presence, and yet people make very specific claims about intent.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

He doesn't have to be Hitler to be a threat to democracy.
    And you don't save democracy by resorting to such means.

I think I know what you're thinking, too. But I won't demean the discourse by sharing it.
    You've just "demeaned the discourse" by posting a load of conspiratorial crap about a different Thomas Crooks donating to the Dems, so I won't take any lectures, thanks
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Fun header.

My own experience as a parent of children going through state primary schools (I can't comment on secondary as my son is at a newly VATable private school) is that they seem way better in almost all ways then when I was growing up.

The teachers genuinely seem to care. The syllabus is interesting and fun. There is very little bullying and almost no fighting in the playground. The staff communicate well with parents. Safeguarding actually exists. The facilities are decent, and they go on good school trips. The children seem to actively enjoy going to school.

It's not perfect - the boys get less attention than the girls for example, and the school dinners aren't up to much (but they were shit in my day too). But it's way better than the primary schools of the early 80s. This one is not a freak: it's consistently rated "good" in Ofsted and has never been "excellent".
    boulay said:

Barnesian said:

Mmm. We'll soon see.

I was wondering the same. He could go messianic “I survived death so god must want me to be the big man” or he could have a bit of a post-traumatic downer when the adrenaline wears off and be much more conciliatory.

If there is anyone wise with his ear they could make it clear that he could romp home to victory if he suddenly becomes the “unifying president” and he wants to end the splits in the country, tones down the rhetoric and says he wants to build a broad church and be a president for the democrats as well as republicans.
    He's apparently torn up his old speech and will go full on unifying middle ground with his big speech at the RNC.

"I will unite our country, not with words, but with action."....

Of course he'll revert to type once he's in office but the spell of "Middle ground Trump" will probably last till November allowing him to beat Biden in enough swing states to get the presidency.
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

The NYT has the skinny. He is notably apolitical, if anything.Also no criminal record, no drug history, no mental disorders, never got into trouble, nothing! The ultimate cleanskin
    They have not yet got into his phone by all accounts (and getting into an encrypted phone is harder than you would think) and unless they do we have no idea what he was doing on Reddit or discord or PB under any username.
    edited July 15
    Pulpstar said:

boulay said:

Barnesian said:

Mmm. We'll soon see.

He's apparently torn up his old speech and will go full on unifying middle ground with his big speech at the RNC.

Of course he'll revert to type once he's in office but the spell of "Middle ground Trump" will probably last till November allowing him to beat Biden in enough swing states to get the presidency.
    Trump was much more measured at the debate, at least for 90% of it. Maybe he is getting and actually listening to advice?
    edited July 15
    Nigelb said:

Only a year or two down the road, some of the many millions of weaponised FV drones produced annually and used in Ukraine are going to start showing up in the US - and quite possibly here, too. It's not a nice prospect.

I'm not worried about current FPV drones, you can jam the command and navigation signals. It's autonomous drones using computer vision and INS that are going to be a nightmare. There's nothing to jam, you need to destroy or intercept them.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

IIUC the idea that he registered Republican to vote for Nicki Haley doesn't work because:

1. He registered in 2021, before he knew that Trump or Haley was running
    2. He didn't vote in the primaries
    edited July 15
    glw said:

Nigelb said:

I'm not worried about current FPV drones, you can jam the command and navigation signals. It's autonomous drones using computer vision and INS that are going to be a nightmare. There's nothing to jam, you need to destroy or intercept them.
    It would also perhaps be a good idea to develop alternatives to just buying DJI....

Apparently Ukraine have been starting to do this more and more, their drones are kita and using more and more home grown parts.
    edited July 15

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

They have not yet got into his phone by all accounts (and getting into an encrypted phone is harder than you would think) and unless they do we have no idea what he was doing on Reddit or discord or PB under any username.
    No, they are into his Discord account, because Discord themselves have opened it

"[Crooks] did not appear to have a public profile on major social media platforms including Facebook and Instagram. The messaging platform Discord said it had found an account apparently linked to the gunman, but the company said that “it was rarely utilized and we have found no evidence that it was used to plan this incident or discuss his political views.”

Of course he may have had pseudonyms. I loathe this kind of nom-de-plume skullduggery, but apparently it is not unknown online

Pulpstar said:

boulay said:

Barnesian said:

Mmm. We'll soon see.

Trump was much more measured at the debate, at least for 90% of it. Maybe he is getting and actually listening to advice?
    He can basically run the Starmer strategy from here till November.

If he was competent he would wipe his computers and phones before the attack, and then the authorities will get nothing from them.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Some remarkable prescience 2 years ago from Newsthump.

https://x.com/newsthump/status/1812772948618449039

They should have been just a bit braver and done away with ("or maybe Italy").
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

HYUFD said:

We did that for the 11+ seventy years ago.
    The ones that weren’t high flyers, but knew how to work the system, then went to grammar schools. From there they went to University and ended up in the NU10K, which is why we are bossed by grifters instead of people of ability.
    Welsh fun police to strike again?

Free drink refills could be banned at restaurants and cafés as part of new proposals by the Welsh government.
    glw said:

Nigelb said:

You can - but Ukraine shows that's hardly infallible.
    And yes, as you say, it's going to get harder. Countermeasures and counter-countermeasures are evolving rapidly.
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

The SS have been deploying elaborate jamming to deal with model aircraft and drones, for quite a few years. It was publicly discussed when Clinton was president and even became a plot point in The November Men.
    Presumably Trump is a veteran as ex C in C?

I am going to start a campaign to demand that Biden award him a Purple Heart over the incident. If it takes off he is a shoo in
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Welsh fun police to strike again?

Free drink refills could be banned at restaurants and cafés as part of new proposals by the Welsh government.

People vote for Marxism get Marxism, shocker.
    TimS said:

Fun header.

My own experience as a parent of children going through state primary schools (I can't comment on secondary as my son is at a newly VATable private school) is that they seem way better in almost all ways then when I was growing up.

The teachers genuinely seem to care. The syllabus is interesting and fun. There is very little bullying and almost no fighting in the playground. The staff communicate well with parents. Safeguarding actually exists. The facilities are decent, and they go on good school trips. The children seem to actively enjoy going to school.

It's not perfect - the boys get less attention than the girls for example, and the school dinners aren't up to much (but they were shit in my day too). But it's way better than the primary schools of the early 80s. This one is not a freak: it's consistently rated "good" in Ofsted and has never been "excellent".

I think Ydoethur's frame of reference for comparison is something like between 2010 and now, though.
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,639
    edited July 15
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

Remember we are looking at Hitler in hindsight. We know what he, and the regime he led, evolved into.

There’s the debate in academia about how much Hitler pushed the increasing radicalisation (probably a lot but any paperwork, if there indeed was any authorising the increasing ferocity of the Holocaust, etc, etc is missing, presumably destroyed) and how much it was driven by enthusiastic acolytes ‘working towards the Fuhrer’, as the saying goes, meaning the idea that people in the hierarchy interpreted Hitler’s broad rhetoric and devised ever increasingly radical solutions promoted by his rhetoric and rantings. It seems there was never an overarching plan for the Holocaust - it evolved and radicalised over time and as Germany captured more territory full of Jews in the East, and needed a ‘Final Solution’.

So what scares me is that the iconography of Trump - the flags and stirring music when he came out of hospital after Covid, for example, is very Leni Riefenstahl. There’s a similar ‘Fuhrerpricip’ - whatever Trump says is inviolate and infallible. There seem to be millions of Americans who would willingly ‘work towards’ Trump, driving increasing radicalisation down the hierarchy.

That’s what scares me. To my eyes, it all looks similar to 1933 currently, with the potential to evolve and escalate to something much, much worse.
    edited July 15

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

IIUC the idea that he registered Republican to vote for Nicki Haley doesn't work because:

He apparently made the donation to the Dem cause after J6, which sounds quite anti-Trumpy

But it's not much. He really DOESN'T seem to be especially political, unless he has some incredibly well-hidden online life

I'm going to start a conspiracy theory, sorry, connytheers, all of my own, that takes into account what we know

Here's my insane connytheer

It's the Ukrainians

They want Trump gone for very very obvious reasons. There are plenty of Ukrainians in America, some of them quite rich, I imagine. There is also a significant Ukrainian presence in Pennsylvania

https://www.ukrhomestead.com/

https://pennlivearts.org/event/ukrainiancommunityday

The can't do it themselves, obs, so they find come cleanskin who likes guns, and who hates Trump - convinced he really is Hitler. Crooks is recruited. They also have some sympathetic local cops who agree to "not notice" the ladder and "not check" the roof. Because this is outside the official perimeter the Seekyservs don't surveil this, the cops do (or don't)

Crooks is allowed to set his ladder, climb on the roof, the cops strenuously ignore it all and the Seekyservs are inept and useless at first (look at the vids, they are). Crooks has been falsely told that he will be allowed to escape, but of course the cops can't control the Seekyservs, who slot Crooks in a trice

I think this is a pretty good theory, and I recommend it to the House

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Interesting polling data on why the Tories lost.

https://x.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1812767682959147307

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

Remember we are looking at Hitler in hindsight. We know what he, and the regime he led, evolved into.

There’s the debate in academia about how much Hitler pushed the increasing radicalisation (probably a lot but any paperwork, if there indeed was any authorising the increasing ferocity of the Holocaust, etc, etc is missing, presumably destroyed) and how much it was driven by enthusiastic acolytes ‘working towards the Fuhrer’, as the saying goes, meaning the idea that people in the hierarchy interpreted Hitler’s broad rhetoric and devised ever increasingly radical solutions promoted by his rhetoric and rantings. It seems there was never an overarching plan for the Holocaust - it evolved and radicalised over time and as Germany captured more territory full of Jews in the East, and needed a ‘Final Solution’.

So what scares me is that the iconography of Trump - the flags and stirring music when he came out of hospital after Covid, for example, is very Leni Riefenstahl. There’s a similar ‘Fuhrerpricip’ - whatever Trump says is inviolate and infallible. There seem to be millions of Americans who would willingly ‘work towards’ Trump, driving increasing radicalisation down the hierarchy.

That’s what scares me. To my eyes, it all looks similar to 1933 currently, with the potential to evolve and escalate to something much, much worse.
    So, be honest. I really won't jump on you. I am genuinely interested

If you think Trump is potentially, perhaps probably, a Hitler in the making, is it justifiable to assassinate him?

@Dura_Ace is the only PB-er who has openly admitted it, but I am sure several other PB-ers believe this, but won't say it

And I can follow the logic. If you think he is an American Hitler, then killing him - if all else fails, and it has - is not just the only option, it is the moral option
    The King has written to Trump after his assassination attempt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51ykzn0739o

So competence was more an issue than ideology.
    Pulpstar said:

boulay said:

Barnesian said:

Mmm. We'll soon see.

Perhaps the only thing that’s going to calm everyone down now, is if Trump and Biden appear together somewhere, to unequivocally tell all of their supporters to dial back the language.

Trump re-writing his Conference speech, presumably from something that would have been the usual bombast and triumphalism, into something a lot calmer and more collected, could be a good starting point. His recent debate performance was actually pretty good in this regard, so he can on occasion turn things down himself.
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

He apparently made the donation to the Dem cause after J6, which sounds quite anti-Trumpy

But it's not much. He really DOESN'T seem to be especially political, unless he has some incredibly well-hidden online life

I'm going to start a conspiracy theory, sorry, connytheers, all of my own, that takes into account what we know

It's the Ukrainians

They want Trump gone for very very obvious reasons. There are plenty of Ukrainians in America, some of them quite rich, I imagine. There is also a significant Ukrainian presence in Pennsylvania

The can't do it themselves, obs, so they find come cleanskin who likes guns, and who hates Trump - convinced he really is Hitler. Crooks is recruited. They also have some sympathetic local cops who agree to "not notice" the ladder and "not check" the roof. Because this is outside the official perimeter the Seekyservs don't surveil this, the cops do (or don't)

Crooks is allowed to set his ladder, climb on the roof, the cops strenuously ignore it all and the Seekyservs are inept and useless at first (look at the vids, they are). Crooks has been falsely told that he will be allowed to escape, but of course the cops can't control the Seekyservs, who slot Crooks in a trice

Don’t be even more of a fuckwit than usual. The Ukranians have more than enough of their own problems right now.
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Think about this -

Mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years in the UK just for possessing it, incidentally.
    edited July 15
    boulay said:

Barnesian said:

Mmm. We'll soon see.

Yes but a unifying conciliatory Trump wouldn't be Trump. It would be like trying to make Tesco into Waitrose, it would completely change the brand. Indeed if he abandoned his populism some of the MAGA crowd might even drift off to Kennedy Jr
    Leon said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

If you think Trump is potentially, perhaps probably, a Hitler in the making, is it justifiable to assassinate him?

@Dura_Ace is the only PB-er who has openly admitted it, but I am sure several other PB-ers believe this, but won't say it

And I can follow the logic. If you think he is an American Hitler, then killing him - if all else fails, and it has - is not just the only option, it is the moral option
    I think this is a Whereof we cannot speak situation. You can't advocate assassination; you just can't, no matter how much you tell yourself this is a unique situation and you would never advocate it for anyone else. But you can have a private view on the matter.
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,310
    edited July 15
    TimS said:

Fun header.

Yes, my lad's primary school was similar. But thank God the days of having to rustle up a Roman centurion costume or similar at half a day's notice are now over for me!
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

boulay said:

Barnesian said:

Mmm. We'll soon see.

Perhaps the only thing that’s going to calm everyone down now, is if Trump and Biden appear together somewhere, to unequivocally tell all of their supporters to dial back the language.

Trump re-writing his Conference speech, presumably from something that would have been the usual bombast and triumphalism, into something a lot calmer and more collected, could be a good starting point. His recent debate performance was actually pretty good in this regard, so he can on occasion turn things down himself.
    Check out the evangelical nutter who predicted a bullet grazing Trump's ear

🚨🇺🇸TRUMP ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT PREDICTED 3 MONTHS AGO

Brandon Biggs made an unbelievably accurate prediction about the attack on Trump’s life in an interview several months ago.

“I saw Trump rising up, and then I saw an attempt on his life.

This bullet flew by his ear, and it came so close to his head that it busted his drum eardrum.

And I saw he fell to his knees during this timeframe, and he started worshiping the Lord.

He got radically born again during this timeframe.”

Source: Steve Cioccolanti & Discover Ministries on YouTube

https://x.com/MarioNawfal/status/1812386960985477177

That's bizarrely accurate. But note, the same guy says Trump will now be born again. And in his latest social media messages Trump is referencing God a lot. People who are somehow miraculously saved often get religious - eg the guy who wrote Amazing Grace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

HYUFD said:

In terms of Maths and verbal reasoning skills SATs do largely measure attainment
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

[fiction writer stuff snipped]
    Right so the donation is on the inauguration date which is kind of a weird time to be donating, then he registers GOP like 6 months later. So the simple way to read it is either that he supports Biden over Trump at age 17 then goes the full youtube gun nut after that which wouldn't be particularly weird. Alternatively the donation could be something else (donation to settle a bet, someone made it in his name to annoy him etc.)
    edited July 15
    Leon said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

Well, again, there's the discussion as to what would have happened if Hitler had been successfully assassinated. A bloke called Georg Elser planed a bomb in Munich in November 1939 that would have more than likely killed Hitler if he hadn't unexpectedly left the event early. But that's counterfactual, so who knows.

And so is this. I think if he'd been killed it would have unleashed havoc in the US. Maybe what, who, would have come after Trump would be even more radical and uncompromising. But maybe it would have ultimately derailed a dark future that fate may have in store for us.

I honestly don't know.

But his head exploding live on TV, shared on the socials for ever and ever, would have made a fitting demise for the man given his power stems from reality TV and the internet.
    Were the videos of Trump casually arriving for his usual Sunday morning tee time yesterday genuine?
  • UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 874
    Leon said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

I think you can just look at it from the perspective of the early 30s (or late 20s). Had someone tried to take out Hitler then (I'm sure they tried) I would probably deplore the violence in German politics. Looking from 1944 it would have seemed like a missed opportunity!

At the moment, Trump being killed by that bullet would seem like a more dangerous outcome to me than him surviving it. If he ends up precipitating a new American Civil War and the Old World steps in to the rescue of the New, then, as I freeze my arse off in a trench outside Baltimore, I would think very uncharitably about Donald Trump.

That said, for me, from the here and now, I'm glad Donald Trump survived and I deplore the violence in American politics (indeed, as I said in the last thread, I think the only option now is to legitimise Trump into the American political mainstream and hope you can engage with his politics from there).

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

I thought that “working towards the Fuhrer” was explicitly part of the Nazi ideology?

Hitler was overtly in favour of incrementalism - take what you can now, then push for more. It was one of his big differences with the Stasserites, who wanted instant revolution. Rather than steadily Nazifying existing institutions over time.
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

boulay said:

Barnesian said:

Mmm. We'll soon see.

Check out the evangelical nutter who predicted a bullet grazing Trump's ear

🚨🇺🇸TRUMP ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT PREDICTED 3 MONTHS AGO

Brandon Biggs made an unbelievably accurate prediction about the attack on Trump’s life in an interview several months ago.

“I saw Trump rising up, and then I saw an attempt on his life.

This bullet flew by his ear, and it came so close to his head that it busted his drum eardrum.

And I saw he fell to his knees during this timeframe, and he started worshiping the Lord.

He got radically born again during this timeframe.”

Source: Steve Cioccolanti & Discover Ministries on YouTube

https://x.com/MarioNawfal/status/1812386960985477177

That's bizarrely accurate. But note, the same guy says Trump will now be born again. And in his latest social media messages Trump is referencing God a lot. People who are somehow miraculously saved often get religious - eg the guy who wrote Amazing Grace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace
    Jules, Pulp Fiction

Paul the apostle

Etc
    edited July 15
    I always find the whole concept of registering as a Republican / Democrat / Independent really weird.
    edited July 15
    HYUFD said:

Morning all - Doug Burgum has slipped into fav position for veep on BF.

Would be a gamble if so, Bergum is the most anti abortion of the three Trump is considering. He might boost evangelical turnout but would be a risk with independents.

He was a successful businessman and North Dakota governor though and a billionaire like Trump
    Doug Burgum signed a near total abortion ban in his state as governor, with exceptions only for rape and incest in the first 6 weeks of pregnancy
    https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/10/politics/trump-burgum-rubio-running-mate/index.html

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

Right so the donation is on the inauguration date which is kind of a weird time to be donating, then he registers GOP like 6 months later. So the simple way to read it is either that he supports Biden over Trump at age 17 then goes the full youtube gun nut after that which wouldn't be particularly weird. Alternatively the donation could be something else (donation to settle a bet, someone made it in his name to annoy him etc.)
    Why have you snipped my brilliant connytheer?

It's the best one out there, that I've seen

Ukrainians, cleanskin, bang
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

Leon said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

I think this is a Whereof we cannot speak situation. You can't advocate assassination; you just can't, no matter how much you tell yourself this is a unique situation and you would never advocate it for anyone else. But you can have a private view on the matter.
    I don't think I have a principled view that assassination is wrong in and of itself. There are tyrants in the past whose assassination would have been welcomed. My issue with the sassytempt is that were it successful it seems to me almost certain that it would lead to a worse outcome (for American democracy, for American stability, and almost inevitably therefore for the world in general) than had it not happened.
    You can make a moral case for not assassinating people, especially not in a democracy, but you don't really need to - just thinking through the consequences should be enough to convince you that this was a bad idea.

Was "external factors - e.g. covid and Ukraine" an option?
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

Why have you snipped my brilliant connytheer?

It's the best one out there, that I've seen

Ukrainians, cleanskin, bang
    I would put in a sexy foreign agent who leads him astray. Just pick any attractive-looking eastern-European woman in the greater Pittsburgh area, the retweeters won't care.
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

I don't think I have a principled view that assassination is wrong in and of itself. There are tyrants in the past whose assassination would have been welcomed. My issue with the sassytempt is that were it successful it seems to me almost certain that it would lead to a worse outcome (for American democracy, for American stability, and almost inevitably therefore for the world in general) than had it not happened.
    You can make a moral case for not assassinating people, especially not in a democracy, but you don't really need to - just thinking through the consequences should be enough to convince you that this was a bad idea.
    I am distinguishing between actually assassinating people (sometimes an excellent thing, see under harmodios n aristogeiton) and advocating assassination on political websites (bad thing, easily gets out of hand, probably deprecated by moderators).

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

I thought that “working towards the Fuhrer” was explicitly part of the Nazi ideology?

Hitler was overtly in favour of incrementalism - take what you can now, then push for more. It was one of his big differences with the Stasserites, who wanted instant revolution. Rather than steadily Nazifying existing institutions over time.
    You could well be right, I'm remembering it in the context of academic debate but now you've said that I think it was explicit. The Strasserites wanted more - but IIRC with more emphasis on the socialist part of National Socialism? - and Rohm and parts of the SA leadership were also pushing for more, so they were eliminated.

And there's also the thing whereby Hitler gave the same or very similar tasks to different people, to encourage that rivalry and competition so a winner, with the strongest will, would emerge victorious.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    HYUFD said:

So competence was more an issue than ideology.
    I don't think that is a surprise. It is certainly why I wanted them gone. Ideologically I don't prefer Lab over the Tories. It was also the message coming through loud and clear.
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How quickly we forget.

It's the Ukrainians

Don’t be even more of a fuckwit than usual. The Ukranians have more than enough of their own problems right now.
    Er, what? We're not allowed to speculate on who tried to kill Trump, and why? Because of some rules about taste? This is PB, we speculate

If you have a better theory that explains all the many curious anomalies in this instance, do tell us. I am happy to be persuaded. I won't, however, be told to shut up just because something makes you uncomfortable. There is no law - of the land, or on PB, that I know of - which says you cannot hypothesise around political events. Indeed, this is basically what the site is about. You hypothesise, and from that you can make predictions about the future, and thereby make bets
This discussion has been closed.