Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Wales – How to do Cynical Politics. – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,008
edited July 17 in General
imageWales – How to do Cynical Politics. – politicalbetting.com

When the Welsh Assembly was approved in 1997 by a wafer-thin margin of 50.3% to 49.7%, it was for just 60 members elected by a silly iteration of the D’Hondt top up system.* This was because Wales wasn’t an important place and the Assembly wasn’t an important institution. Blair called it a ‘parish council’ and many parish councils felt slighted at the comparison.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 653
    First
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,123
    I see the Welsh are about to get rid of their non white First Minister very quickly, just like the Scots.

Are the Celts intrinsically racist as it is a bad look.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,211
    edited July 12

I see the Welsh are about to get rid of their non white First Minister very quickly, just like the Scots.

The English United Kingdomians didn't keep theirs all that long, either!

The only people to not have quickly rejected a non-white leader - and therefore least racist in the UK - are the Northern Irish :wink:
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 67,874
    ITV racing doing a cracking job.

🗣️ "Test and Trace was an expensive disaster in most people's eyes... How do you reassure people you will make the right decisions?"

Ed Chamberlin speaks with Dido Harding, Senior Steward at the Jockey Club.

https://x.com/itvracing/status/1811768410084089998

Didn't get a real answer, of course.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,082
    FPT

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Another fascinating data point in that Wiki page. It implies British obesity is DECLINING

Now, it is easy to find data that flatly contradicts this, but anecdotally, I suspect this might be true. Brits seem a bit less fat to me. The young look a bit healthier. They don't drink as much, obvs. Less smoking

My impression is they have been becoming slightly less obese since Covid-19. Could be a wrong impression.
    That's because with WFH the really obese people don't need to leave home any more. So you don't see them out and about.
    Should've thought of that.
    rcs1000 said:

On topic, multimember STV, where people can chose which Conservative/Labour/etc. candidate to represent them, is a form of PR I wholeheartedly support, unlike party lists which seem incredibly undemocratic.

It enables - for example - constituents to support more Brexit-friendly (or more Remain-friendly, depending on their point of view) candidates from within a party. It would also probably encourage the existence of independents.

However, it would also fundamentally rearrange British politics, and not necessarily to the advantage of any of the existing political parties.

All of that is good.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,536
    Thanks for the nicely opinionated header.

This:

Now, with what they hope will be the Labour block vote secure, they can look forward to another 25 years of government.

Reminds me of what they said about the Pig-Dog-Hybrid Scottish system introduced to .. er .. keep Labour in power *.

* Allegedly.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,501
    That was an excellent (and enjoyable) header. Thanks.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,872
    Nice header, by which I mean two things: interesting topic, and well written. @ydoethur has one of the site's most engaging prose styles.

I'm a long standing fan of STV. The only possible objection to it that I can see, and surely this is fixable, is the amount of time it takes to count the votes.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,388
    TimS said:

Nice header, by which I mean two things: interesting topic, and well written. @ydoethur has one of the site's most engaging prose styles.

I'm a long standing fan of STV. The only possible objection to it that I can see, and surely this is fixable, is the amount of time it takes to count the votes.

Computerised voting (with a paper trail) is the obvious solution to that
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,944
    A splendid read, thanks @ydoethur !
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,008
    Nigelb said:

🗣️ "Test and Trace was an expensive disaster in most people's eyes... How do you reassure people you will make the right decisions?"

So glad that Dido has landed on her feet.

Rishi Sunak didn't last long either :lol:
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,211
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Got back in the saddle...
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,807
    Selebian said:

The only people to not have quickly rejected a non-white leader - and therefore least racist in the UK - are the Northern Irish :wink:
    London just texted and said Boris claimed some sort of Turkish-American heritage. And the one after.
    TimS said:

Also quite brief and to the point.

The closed list system gives PR a bad name.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,822
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Did she raise a white flag? Thank you.
    Trump considering cutting back intel sharing with Europe, officials warn
    European officials say they rely on U.S. intelligence to help fend off Russian aggression on their own soil.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/10/trump-considering-cutting-intel-sharing-europe-00167503
  • TimS said:

Computerised voting (with a paper trail) is the obvious solution to that
    I would prefer paper voting, but counting by scanning and computer calculation with an appropriate paper trail.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,982
    Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I hope she doesn't make up policy on the hoof.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,329
    Nigelb said:

Trump considering cutting back intel sharing with Europe, officials warn
    European officials say they rely on U.S. intelligence to help fend off Russian aggression on their own soil.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/10/trump-considering-cutting-intel-sharing-europe-00167503

He’s obviously working in tandem with Starmer to increase the value of the UK to the EU.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,403

A splendid read, thanks @ydoethur !

Hear hear.
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Did she raise a white flag? Thank you.
    I got there first, sorry
    "Remains of two men were in suitcases dumped at bridge, say police."
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,980
    rcs1000 said:

On topic, multimember STV, where people can chose which Conservative/Labour/etc. candidate to represent them, is a form of PR I wholeheartedly support, unlike party lists which seem incredibly undemocratic.

It enables - for example - constituents to support more Brexit-friendly (or more Remain-friendly, depending on their point of view) candidates from within a party. It would also probably encourage the existence of independents.

However, it would also fundamentally rearrange British politics, and not necessarily to the advantage of any of the existing political parties.

I would still very much prefer AV as I don't like the larger constituency sizes with MM STV. I think it reduces the link bwteeen MP and Constituent too much.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,501

rcs1000 said:

I would still very much prefer AV as I don't like the larger constituency sizes with MM STV. I think it reduces the link bwteeen MP and Constituent too much.
    I am fine with it if each member is allocated to a sub-region of the constituency, and recall petitions are available for individual members *in that sub area*. It means you can get shot of *your* member if everything goes bad.
    tlg86 said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I hope she doesn't make up policy on the hoof.
    Strong and stable.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,837
    Good article!
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,928
    Nigelb said:

Wonder why the chap didn’t drop the cases over the side and into the river?

rcs1000 said:

I'm not a massive fan of AV, because I think it can be very anti-proportional, and can result in unpopular opinions not getting any representation at all.

But I tend to agree regarding too large constituencies. I think a happy medium is probably four member constituencies. Smaller multimember constituencies also make the system a bit more FPTP like, and allow for both (a) parties to be severely punished (see Citizens in Spain), and (b) actual majorities to be possible.
    rcs1000 said:

I agree with all of that. There are also open list PR systems that give voters meaningful choice among candidates within the same party.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    edited July 12
    I agree that STV is best. But to make it work in Wales rather than Scotland, shouldn't it be called S4C (apologies)
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm not a massive fan of AV, because I think it can be very anti-proportional, and can result in unpopular opinions not getting any representation at all.

But I tend to agree regarding too large constituencies. I think a happy medium is probably four member constituencies. Smaller multimember constituencies also make the system a bit more FPTP like, and allow for both (a) parties to be severely punished (see Citizens in Spain), and (b) actual majorities to be possible.
    I suggest that thinking about Travel to Work (or shop) areas is the way to go. That would give, in Essex, five or six four member constituencies.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,825
    Am I the only fan of closed list PR on PB?

If you want to influence the party list, join the party!
    Selebian said:

Northern Ireland was also the first to elect a parliamentarian of Chinese heritage. They’ve also elected three female First/deputy First Ministers. Very progressive place.
  • pancakespancakes Posts: 34
    edited July 12
    D'Hondt is a widely known seat allocation formula for list seats. But it's not accurate to say that New Zealand uses a "more sensible iteration" of d'Hondt - because it doesn't use d'Hondt.

What NZ uses to allocate seats is the Sainte-Laguë formula, which is superior to d'Hondt. Sainte-Laguë is used in Germany (federally), Norway and Sweden. D'Hondt is used in Belgium, Spain, Portugal and Finland.

The use or non-use of overhang seats is an independent property that can be combined with either one of the seat allocation formulas.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,825
    TimS said:

Also:

Nobody understands the whole "surplus votes" malarkey.

The number of seats a party wins can be influenced by how many candidates the put up. More candidates can result in fewer seats. Nothing proportional about that.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

4 member constituencies would certainly be absolutely fine size-wise around here. Pretty much the size of the borough of Lewisham and places I can get to within 20 minutes on a bike. I can see that for somewhere like the Northern Highlands or central Wales you might end with an absolutely vast area, but it would still be served by 4 MPs and they can still be allocated to a sub-zone.

The other thing I'd love us to have is foreign constituencies, like the French do. I'd be fascinated to know what the Brits in Spain, or Australia or the US are voting.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 124

TimS said:

Also:

The number of seats a party wins can be influenced by how many candidates the put up. More candidates can result in fewer seats. Nothing proportional about that.
    That's why parties only put up 2 candidates for a 3 seat ward in Scotland. They have learned not to put up a full slate.
    edited July 12

Nigelb said:

Afternoon, OKC!

My impression is that anyone acting oddly there gets spoken to asap, as part of the drive to prevent suicide. Even in the 1980s there were big signs with Samaritans phone numbers. Combine that with the high anti-suicide fencing*, over head height and curved inwards too, and I would think that's your explanation.

[edit] https://www.alamy.com/pedestrians-and-cars-on-the-clifton-suspension-bridge-spanning-avon-gorge-and-river-avon-bristol-uk-image240885397.html?imageid=E61A3511-5B59-4F31-8B0B-C0CCEF4B88AC&p=72163&pn=1&searchId=a134ac29c3fe4687ec32c710ad9cd6b6&searchtype=0

*definitely not an IKB original design element (in fact , given its posthumous construction, and later modifications, I would need to check how much of the design of the bridge is Brunel's apart from the towers and chain anchorages, and the chains recycled from his Hungerford Bridge in London).
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,982
    rcs1000 said:

Am I the only fan of closed list PR on PB?

Yes.
    No.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 124
    Packed Centre court for semi final no2. Not!

TimS said:

Also:

Compared with the tactical gaming required under FPTP though, or the party secrecy involved in closed list PR, it's head and shoulders above the rest. It routinely delivers much more proportional results.

I'd like to have some multi-party representation here in SE London too. My MP is Labour. Her neighbours are all Labour. All around me for miles is Labour. The nearest Lib Dems are over in Richmond or Carshalton, the Tories are over the ridge in West Virginia / Bexley and Sidcup, and the nearest Green is way down the M23. Under STV we would certainly have at least one green here and quite possibly a Lib Dem.

More opportunities for popular independents too.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,841
    FPT

Telegraph is interesting tonight....

"Government decision to approve new coal mine was unlawful, declares Labour Deputy PM Angela Rayner reverses support for Cumbria pit over environmental impact"

All together now: "more pits were closed under Labour than under the Conservatives"

TimS said:

Also:

Ummm: isn't that only true if voters don't rank candidates properly.

If there are four Con candidates, and one LibDem, then the Con votes should consolidate towards the most popular of those candidates.

Goooooood evening!
    viewcode said:

FPT

"Government decision to approve new coal mine was unlawful, declares Labour Deputy PM Angela Rayner reverses support for Cumbria pit over environmental impact"

All together now: "more pits were closed under Labour than under the Conservatives"

Although that isn't necessarily anything to do with the Labour government; it might simply be that mines became exhausted (or utterly uneconomic) under Labour governments at a greater rate than under Conservative.
    edited July 12
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

FPT

Although that isn't necessarily anything to do with the Labour government; it might simply be that mines became exhausted (or utterly uneconomic) under Labour governments at a greater rate than under Conservative.
    Or indeed x small inefficient old mines got replaced by one modern superpit. Which is what tended to happen in Scotland, certainly in some cases, with associated mass movement across from west to east and new housing estates. But a simple count of mines would show ...

Edit: an analytical subtlety which Viewcode might particularly enjoy.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,082

Totally unacceptable when so many people applied for tickets and were turned away.
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Afternoon, OKC!

My impression is that anyone acting oddly there gets spoken to asap, as part of the drive to prevent suicide. Even in the 1980s there were big signs with Samaritans phone numbers. Combine that with the high anti-suicide fencing*, over head height and curved inwards too, and I would think that's your explanation.

[edit] https://www.alamy.com/pedestrians-and-cars-on-the-clifton-suspension-bridge-spanning-avon-gorge-and-river-avon-bristol-uk-image240885397.html?imageid=E61A3511-5B59-4F31-8B0B-C0CCEF4B88AC&p=72163&pn=1&searchId=a134ac29c3fe4687ec32c710ad9cd6b6&searchtype=0

*definitely not an IKB original design element (in fact , given its posthumous construction, and later modifications, I would need to check how much of the design of the bridge is Brunel's apart from the towers and chain anchorages, and the chains recycled from his Hungerford Bridge in London).
    Thanks; it’s a long, long time since I visited the area.
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

FPT

Or indeed x small inefficient old mines got replaced by one modern superpit. Which is what tended to happen in Scotland, certainly in some cases, with associated mass movement across from west to east and new housing estates. But a simple count of mines would show ...

Edit: an analytical subtlety which Viewcode might particularly enjoy.
    :)
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,001
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Afternoon, OKC!

There used to be a small exhibition at the Somerset end (maybe there still is) showing entries to the original competition to design the bridge. Every sort of inappropriate architectural style was represented from neo-classical to Gothic Revival to mock-Tudor, none of which, one suspects, would have lasted as long as IKB's. One memorable entry was from a 16-year-old schoolboy: William Butterfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Butterfield

• viewcode said:

FPT

Didn't expect to see that get dredged up from Yesterday.

Someone forgot to drop the thread in the Avon
    EPG said:

I agree that STV is best. But to make it work in Wales rather than Scotland, shouldn't it be called S4C (apologies)

Make it a UK-wide system of Balanced Bloc Constituencies.

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Afternoon, OKC!

There used to be a small exhibition at the Somerset end (maybe there still is) showing entries to the original competition to design the bridge. Every sort of inappropriate architectural style was represented from neo-classical to Gothic Revival to mock-Tudor, none of which, one suspects, would have lasted as long as IKB's. One memorable entry was from a 16-year-old schoolboy: William Butterfield.

I went to the bridge (as well as Bristol itself) in 2019, the exhibition was still there inside the museum. Of course, it was 5 years ago!

EPG said:

Iterative Transferable Vote
  • Andy_JS said:

Totally unacceptable when so many people applied for tickets and were turned away.
    Would you prefer the single transferable ticket, the additional member ticket or the alternative ticket plus system?
    That sounds like obscure methods of single line Railway Signalling
    Nigelb said:

It sounds like the opening episode of a new Scandi-noir thriller.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,068

Selebian said:

Northern Ireland was also the first to elect a parliamentarian of Chinese heritage. They’ve also elected three female First/deputy First Ministers. Very progressive place.
    Derry has elected its first black mayor. Also it's first woman balck mayor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8vv1yrmy05o

EPG said:

Iterative Transferable Vote
    I see you want to privatise the BBC and introduce commercial software.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,655
    STV may have been the best system for Welsh Tories but PR will still be their saviour in the Senedd. It will ensure they retain representation there despite being wiped out from the House of Commons
  • Selebian said:

Never mind that. Is she the first Catholic black woman mayor or the first Protestant black woman mayor of the place* ?

*avoids the name issue.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,097
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Also:

If there are four Con candidates, and one LibDem, then the Con votes should consolidate towards the most popular of those candidates.
    Under STV (or as Americans call it, RCV) here will always be a % of non-transferable ballots. So in many cases parties will indeed need to limit the number of candidates they field, lest they discover that such leakage bites them where it hurts.

UNLESS they can inculcate and count upon above-average party discipline from their base voters. Such as Fianna Fail managed back in their heyday.

This can lead to situations, where a party experiences a surge in support but fails to field enough candidates to take advantage of it; this happened for example to Irish Labour Party in 1992, when they scored their best-ever result.

(Fact that yours truly was a volunteer canvasser MAY have had something to do with that. OR perhaps NOT!)
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,001

Andy_JS said:

Would you prefer the single transferable ticket, the additional member ticket or the alternative ticket plus system?
    My idea of luxury would be to buy a large block of seats to sit in the middle while all the others remained empty.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,958
    edited July 12

rcs1000 said:

I would still very much prefer AV as I don't like the larger constituency sizes with MM STV. I think it reduces the link between MP and Constituent too much.
    I have never understood this view. No ones says they come from Wolverhampton South West or Liverpool Scotland Road, they say they are from Wolverhampton or from Liverpool. The boundaries are fiddly and often illogical in FPTP, and you need to be a political anorak, or indeed the candidate to know precisely where they are. So I can not see why being one of four or five MPs for a county, or part thereof for one of the larger counties, or a city or part thereof for a larger city, makes any real difference at all. If you back into history there were usually two knights of the shire for each county, so there is an historical precedent.
    edited July 12
    ConHome finds in their latest survey Tory members reject any proposal to merge with ReformUK. However many do want to try and get an electoral pact with Reform.

12% say the Tories should merge with Reform, 19% want Farage and his MPs to share the Tory whip, 35% want an electoral pact with Reform. 50% want none of the above
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/07/12/our-survey-by-the-barest-of-margins-a-majority-of-panellists-reject-allying-with-reform-uk/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter for Friday 12th July 2024&utm_content=Newsletter for Friday 12th July 2024+CID_00034388f5914f63a8c9298b091a2219&utm_source=Daily Email&utm_term=Our survey By the barest of margins a majority of panellists reject allying with Reform UK

Selebian said:

There's more! "Micky Murray describes himself as the first “openly gay” lord mayor of Belfast"
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,869

A useless donkey is a useless donkey no matter what colour they are. You cannot polish turds.

Selebian said:

Never mind that. Is she the first Catholic black woman mayor or the first Protestant black woman mayor of the place* ?

*avoids the name issue.
    Catholic I think. But on the other side of NI there will be African Orangemen parading in Belfast as it's the 12th July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34088527
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,445
    HYUFD said:

ConHome finds in their latest survey Tory members reject any proposal to merge with ReformUK. However many do want to try and get an electoral pact with Reform.

12% say the Tories should merge with Reform, 19% want Farage and his MPs to share the Tory whip, 35% want an electoral pact with Reform. 50% want none of the above
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/07/12/our-survey-by-the-barest-of-margins-a-majority-of-panellists-reject-allying-with-reform-uk/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter for Friday 12th July 2024&utm_content=Newsletter for Friday 12th July 2024+CID_00034388f5914f63a8c9298b091a2219&utm_source=Daily Email&utm_term=Our survey By the barest of margins a majority of panellists reject allying with Reform UK

Put me down for the 50%.

Nigelb said:

It sounds like the opening episode of a new Scandi-noir thriller.
    ...filmed in the drizzle of Brizzle.
  • pancakespancakes Posts: 34
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Also:

Perhaps this is why, in Australian Senate elections, it was formerly mandatory to use every preference, numbering every candidate on the ballot. This became problematic because the total number of candidates was too large and voters didn't always have a preferred between all of them anyway. So, now you only have to number a certain minimum number, and you can opt to vote for a party (so that all your preferences are allocated among individuals in the way that the party has defined) instead of for individual candidates - not sure if this is in the spirit of true STV but it is allowed now over there.
    @ydoethur , I enjoyed your article, thank you.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,727

Selebian said:

*avoids the name issue.
    Catholic I think. But on the other side of NI there will be African Orangemen parading in Belfast as it's the 12th July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34088527
    Bigger question - is she a Catholic Catholic or a Protestant Catholic?

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Afternoon, OKC!

Of course the bridge itself is Egyptian - certainly IKB's bits. Very trendy at the time. Just look at Cromarty Lighthouse towards the other end of the UK - keepers' houses with doors like dipylon gates (?) and chimneys like pylons.

https://canmore.org.uk/collection/398665
    https://canmore.org.uk/collection/570150

Selebian said:

I love the fact that her surname is hyphenated.

HYUFD said:

Put me down for the 50%.
    Daft

you Tories will be fighting each other for the next 10 years instead of Labour. Or in your case surrendering to the LDs.

Reform have 5 seats and are second in 98 seats. Of that reform are second to Labour in 91 seats, seats the Tories havent a hope in hell of winning. Cut a pact to let them have a free ride in 100 seats and they stand down in the others.

Avoid a pointless conflict and take the war to Starmer. Farage will be trying to secure Labour votes while you worry about the Blue wall and the LDs.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,442
    edited July 12
    Jeez, Biden is still clinging on for dear life I see

Selebian said:

*avoids the name issue.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilian_Seenoi-Barr

HYUFD said:

Put me down for the 50%.
    Daft

you Tories will be fighting each other for the next 10 years instead of Labour. Or in your case surrendering to the LDs.

Reform have 5 seats and are second in 98 seats. Of that reform are second to Labour in 91 seats, seats the Tories havent a hope in hell of winning. Cut a pact to let them have a free ride in 100 seats and they stand down in the others.

Avoid a pointless conflict and take the war to Starmer. Farage will be trying to secure Labour votes while you worry about the Blue wall and the LDs.
    You won't fit three of those egos in the same room. They'll spontaneously combust years before the next election.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 58,876
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

It's not so bad.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,421

HYUFD said:

Put me down for the 50%.
    Daft

You obviously haven't got the memo that right wing people aren't welcome in the broad church.
    edited July 12

Jeez, Biden is still clinging on for dear life I see

New Marist College poll has Biden back ahead of Trump. Maybe some Americans like a gaffe prone president, makes them more endearing? Hence they also voted for George W Bush twice and Reagan twice (the latter also ageing and forgetful).

Biden 50% Trump 48%

Harris 50% Trump 49%
    Whitmer 49% Trump 49%
    Newsom 50% Trump 48%
    https://maristpoll.marist.edu/polls/contest-for-president-still-up-for-grabs/
    viewcode said:

Selebian said:

I love the fact that her surname is hyphenated.

Why? Ms Seenoi-Barr combined her given surname with that of her husband.

VERY common in the USA these days; is that something rich & rare on the other side of the Atlantic?

HYUFD said:

Put me down for the 50%.
    Daft

You won't fit three of those egos in the same room. They'll spontaneously combust years before the next election.
    So you say but the Cons wont win the next election if theyre still there and fked up the last one because they couldnt cut a deal. You have loads of seats where they can reach the parts you cant reach but would rather sit moaning in opposition. If the Tories cant be bothered to get back in to power whats the point of them ?
  • Selebian said:

*avoids the name issue.

Dosen't say. (SDLP is mainly Catholic as the BBC never used to tire of pointing out but not exclusively).

Kenya on the other hand is mainly Protestant

Andy_JS said:

That sounds like obscure methods of single line Railway Signalling
    And of course machines were invented and then trouble ensued when the operators sussed out how to bypass the machines.
  • OOF.

Elon Musk: "The European Commission offered 𝕏 an illegal secret deal: if we quietly censored speech without telling anyone, they would not fine us.

The other platforms accepted that deal.

𝕏 did not"

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1811783320839008381?t=3hj2mGLLj5JQ2oE8tgaHrQ&s=19

TimS said:

Also:

Don't understand the malarkey? Just ask any urchin in Dublin, they can explain it to you.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,421

HYUFD said:

Put me down for the 50%.
    Daft

Everyone bewails the possibility of the Tories going 'into their comfort zone' and becoming an unelectable party because they swerve right before seeing sense and embracing 'centrism' again, but what if their actual wilderness years aren't that - what if their unelectability is going to come from resentful centrist turds who insist that Farage and all his works be condemned to the last MP, and make the party into a corporatist ivory tower, Labour without the voters - the Lib Dems without the enthused base. Farage won't believe his luck.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,527
    France continues to disappoint

HYUFD said:

Put me down for the 50%.
    Daft

Everyone bewails the possibility of the Tories going 'into their comfort zone' and becoming an unelectable party because they swerve right before seeing sense and embracing 'centrism' again, but what if their actual wilderness years aren't that - what if their unelectability is going to come from resentful centrist turds who insist that Farage and all his works be condemned to the last MP, and make the party into a corporatist ivory tower, Labour without the voters - the Lib Dems without the enthused base. Farage won't believe his luck.
    Essentially the Tories need to get back to being Conservatives. If voters want the LDs they will vote LD, if voters want Reform they will vote Reform.

The Tories need to retain a distinctive Tory and conservative identity as their best chance to retain and increase support, especially if the Labour government loses popularity

Selebian said:

*avoids the name issue.

Dosen't say. (SDLP is mainly Catholic as the BBC never used to tire of pointing out but not exclusively).

Kenya on the other hand is mainly Protestant
    Why don't you send the new Lord Mayor an email and ask her, are youse just another mackerel-eater?
This discussion has been closed.