Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

I’m a leftist who didn’t vote Labour; why am I happy with the election results?

123457»

Comments

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,673
    boulay said:

GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg and family to star in fly-on-the-wall documentary
    Former Cabinet secretary says the series, to be released later this year, ‘may be a bit more Fawlty Towers than Downton Abbey’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/10/jacob-rees-mogg-family-discovery-plus-documentary/

First prize is the box set?

I don't know what to say about this. Surely he must realise that it will take any pretence to dignity that he may have and throw it straight in the bin? I thought his affectations were expressions of his personality, not baubles to attract attention. People are people, not narratives to be gawped at, and things like this just rots the self.
    JRM has became intoxicated by his own publicity unfortunately.

I feel sorry for his kids as they probably haven't had a say about being pushed into the public eye by their dad turning their family life into a reality show.
    Presumably the show will be modelled on 'The Osbournes'. JRM did get some attention in the US when he first became a bit of a thing, so maybe there will be a market there.
    I think it’s going to be more like Succession, except with all the main characters being vile people who everybody dislikes.
    Can we dig up the ghost of John le Mesurier to play him?

JRM is very Sergeant Wilson.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,476
    The problem the Tories have is that they are ridiculously addicted to Drama. I think because of all of the bonkersness that they foisted on the country since 2016. They just love this stuff. The squabbles, the leaking, the arguments, the recriminations. They can’t get enough of it.

They run the party like a soap opera. Until they realise that people are really not very impressed with this sh*t, to put it bluntly, then they are not going to recover.

The fact Badenoch has waded in to the latest Drama does not bode well if she becomes leader.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,806
    GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

Former Cabinet secretary says the series, to be released later this year, ‘may be a bit more Fawlty Towers than Downton Abbey’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/10/jacob-rees-mogg-family-discovery-plus-documentary/

I don't know what to say about this. Surely he must realise that it will take any pretence to dignity that he may have and throw it straight in the bin? I thought his affectations were expressions of his personality, not baubles to attract attention. People are people, not narratives to be gawped at, and things like this just rots the self.

I feel sorry for his kids as they probably haven't had a say about being pushed into the public eye by their dad turning their family life into a reality show.
    Mind you they will inherit £150 million from their parents and their grandfather is an Earl so it is not all bad
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,273
    MattW said:

boulay said:

GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

Presumably the show will be modelled on 'The Osbournes'. JRM did get some attention in the US when he first became a bit of a thing, so maybe there will be a market there.
    I think it’s going to be more like Succession, except with all the main characters being vile people who everybody dislikes.

Surely Charles Hawtry if we’re digging actors up who resemble him?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,527
    Roger said:

Taz said:

BBC reporting Israels latest war crime - they've bombed a school housing displaced civilians and killed at least 29 people, including children.

Will SKS issue an immediate condemnation & call it a depraved act, like he did when Russia bombed a hospital yesterday?

Russia bombs a school. A depraved evil act of a terror state according to our media and mainstream politicians..

Israel does it. Nothing to see here guys.
    Absolutely!

Russia is bombing civilians deliberately.

Israel is targeting Hamas.

Its not Israel's fault that Hamas uses human shields. Ukraine aren't doing that.
    Ever thought of taking a stroll on the M6
    ?????????
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,438

Roger said:

Taz said:

BBC reporting Israels latest war crime - they've bombed a school housing displaced civilians and killed at least 29 people, including children.

Will SKS issue an immediate condemnation & call it a depraved act, like he did when Russia bombed a hospital yesterday?

Russia bombs a school. A depraved evil act of a terror state according to our media and mainstream politicians..

Absolutely!

Its not Israel's fault that Hamas uses human shields. Ukraine aren't doing that.
    ?????????
    I think they've crossed the Gaza and bicycle accident arguments.
  • Goodness me the Tories are a joke.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,016
    Carnyx said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

Absolutely!

?????????
    Don't cross the streams guys!!!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,461

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

Absolutely!

Have you ever considered lifting your morality out of the gutter?
    He's an advertising executive!

Even so that's a truly weird non-sequitur.
    So, above or below the OFSTED entry requirements?
    I don't think OFSTED has entry requirements in that sense.

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

Absolutely!

?????????
    Don't cross the streams guys!!!
    There is a Gulf between them if you get my Drift.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,876
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

Mind you they will inherit £150 million from their parents and their grandfather is an Earl so it is not all bad
    Money doesn't buy happiness though.

Money makes life easier and gives more opportunities, but not all of those opportunities are necessarily healthy... Look at the number of rich people who literally buy their way into drug addictions for example....
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,116

Sorry, I've pulled the other thread, back on this one.

Apols TSE, my error - I have PMed you.
    Does all this mean that the PB 2024 Contest is fatal compromised?

And WHERE is Mike Pence when (perhaps) he's needed yet again?

Goodness me the Tories are a joke.

And what have the Tories done now to displease Horsey?

Not Quayleing before the mob.
    MattW said:

boulay said:

GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

Oi! On behalf of Arthur Wilson I protest.
  • MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 174
    Odds on Biden being the Democrat nominee on betfair shifting quite a bit today.

1.54 @1pm

To

1.92 @5pm
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,078
    boulay said:

GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

Errr

Aren't well the main characters in Succession vile people?

Except Roman, obviously.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,158
    Andy_JS said:

Betfair — next Tory leader

Badenoch 2.7
    Jenrick 6.6
    Tugendhat 7.6
    Patel 14.5
    Braverman 36
    Atkins 40
    Cleverly 70

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/politics/uk-party-leaders/next-conservative-leader-betting-1.205526560

No-one has yet been able to explain a single quality of Bad Enoch to recommend her. What on Earth is it that appeals? She is wooden, boring and was almost entirely invisible as a minister. It's baffling.

1.54 @1pm

To

1.92 @5pm

I think when the end comes for Biden, it will come very quickly.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,323

No, all is well, although the Returning Officer might not be getting a new contract next year.
  • Nigelb said:

More taking of the piss.

Thames Water fails to complete 108 upgrades to ageing sewage works

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jul/10/thames-water-fails-to-complete-108-upgrades-ageing-sewage-works-legal-pollution-limits
    Thames Water has failed to complete more than 100 upgrades to ageing sewage treatment works to meet legal pollution limits, the Guardian can reveal.

The schemes costing £1.1bn were supposed to cut pollution into rivers by increasing the capacity at sewage works, adding phosphorus removal to the treatment process, and installing new storm tanks. The upgrades, which were promised in 2018, are being paid for by customers as part of a five-year spending round to 2025 but will not be delivered within that timeframe.

Meanwhile, Thames Water awaits a crucial decision on Thursday from the regulator Ofwat on the company’s new five-year business plan. Thames wants to increase customer bills 59% by 2030 to pay for record investment of £19.8bn to tackle sewage pollution, leaks and water shortages after decades in which the company has sweated assets and underinvested.

The company is asking the regulator to allow the late projects to be rolled over into the new spending round, known as PR24.

Ash Smith, the founder of the campaign group Windrush Against Sewage Pollution, said customers had already paid for the projects to upgrade ageing sewage treatment works, and were being asked to pay again...

Why is Thames Water still in business? If there was any degree of market discipline they would have gone bust ages ago.

Similarly, the only thing that prevents Boeing deservedly going out of business is that the market for large civil aircraft is essentially a duopoly.

If the Tories want a big idea, they could do with thinking about how to make capitalism work better. Too many private companies have escaped the discipline of market competition, and so poorly run companies are not being replaced by better companies.
    The Thames is the cleanest river going through a large city in the world. The rivers throughout England are the cleanest they've been since the industrial revolution and we have the cleanest drinking water in the world. Almost forgot, we now have more blue flag beach awards than ever before.
    And my water bill is five times as high as it was in 1995. A lot of people would happily accept turds in rivers and the sea for a much lower water bill.

And their lies the problemm

Andy_JS said:

Badenoch 2.7
    Jenrick 6.6
    Tugendhat 7.6
    Patel 14.5
    Braverman 36
    Atkins 40
    Cleverly 70

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/politics/uk-party-leaders/next-conservative-leader-betting-1.205526560

No-one has yet been able to explain a single quality of Bad Enoch to recommend her. What on Earth is it that appeals? She is wooden, boring and was almost entirely invisible as a minister. It's baffling.
    She has ""Enoch" in her name.

The problem the Tories have is that they are ridiculously addicted to Drama. I think because of all of the bonkersness that they foisted on the country since 2016. They just love this stuff. The squabbles, the leaking, the arguments, the recriminations. They can’t get enough of it.

They run the party like a soap opera. Until they realise that people are really not very impressed with this sh*t, to put it bluntly, then they are not going to recover.

The fact Badenoch has waded in to the latest Drama does not bode well if she becomes leader.

Indeed!

I like Kemi and I think her giving Rishi a proverbial kick up the arse was long over due. If I was a Con member I'd vote for her as leader as she's really the only show in town for those left (if only Penny was still there) but...

Why don't the Tories understand that what the public really wants from them right now is a period of silence?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,452

Andy_JS said:

Badenoch 2.7
    Jenrick 6.6
    Tugendhat 7.6
    Patel 14.5
    Braverman 36
    Atkins 40
    Cleverly 70

She's diverser than thou.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,200
    Badenoch is value at 2.7 imo. I'd put it at more like 2.
    edited July 10

Andy_JS said:

Badenoch 2.7
    Jenrick 6.6
    Tugendhat 7.6
    Patel 14.5
    Braverman 36
    Atkins 40
    Cleverly 70

You're a died in the wool leftie though so you're not the audience.

And just a heads up, the "Bad Enoch" thing is getting really, really boring now.
  • TimS said:

Nigelb said:

More taking of the piss.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jul/10/thames-water-fails-to-complete-108-upgrades-ageing-sewage-works-legal-pollution-limits
    Thames Water has failed to complete more than 100 upgrades to ageing sewage treatment works to meet legal pollution limits, the Guardian can reveal.

The schemes costing £1.1bn were supposed to cut pollution into rivers by increasing the capacity at sewage works, adding phosphorus removal to the treatment process, and installing new storm tanks. The upgrades, which were promised in 2018, are being paid for by customers as part of a five-year spending round to 2025 but will not be delivered within that timeframe.

Meanwhile, Thames Water awaits a crucial decision on Thursday from the regulator Ofwat on the company’s new five-year business plan. Thames wants to increase customer bills 59% by 2030 to pay for record investment of £19.8bn to tackle sewage pollution, leaks and water shortages after decades in which the company has sweated assets and underinvested.

The company is asking the regulator to allow the late projects to be rolled over into the new spending round, known as PR24.

Ash Smith, the founder of the campaign group Windrush Against Sewage Pollution, said customers had already paid for the projects to upgrade ageing sewage treatment works, and were being asked to pay again...

Why is Thames Water still in business? If there was any degree of market discipline they would have gone bust ages ago.

Similarly, the only thing that prevents Boeing deservedly going out of business is that the market for large civil aircraft is essentially a duopoly.

If the Tories want a big idea, they could do with thinking about how to make capitalism work better. Too many private companies have escaped the discipline of market competition, and so poorly run companies are not being replaced by better companies.
    The Thames is the cleanest river going through a large city in the world. The rivers throughout England are the cleanest they've been since the industrial revolution and we have the cleanest drinking water in the world. Almost forgot, we now have more blue flag beach awards than ever before.
    Water quality in England and Wales has been flatlining for well over a decade and one off sewage releases have increased sharply.

https://environmentagency.blog.gov.uk/2020/10/02/the-state-of-our-waters-the-facts/

Overall UK water quality is among the worst in Europe, including our beaches.

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/news-events/news/2023/april/uk-waters-too-polluted-to-swim/
    Recording of sewage releases has increased dramatically.

So flatlining? Not actually getting worse despite population growth of 10%?

That last article is amusing some ways in its mischievous attempts to deceive. The EA reset essentially its measurements of what was classed as 'good' because the rivers had become so free of measured contaminants it was pointless so set itself a challenging set of targets identifying other contaminants and relentlessly working at reducing those.
    This is where the derangement kicks in. One year 95% of rivers are good, the next year with the new targets and action plan to improve the quality further, 14% are good. Shyster journalists and those that should know better but just f*cking hate the tories and Brexit put the boot in and talk about how awful it is.
    Something to do with the increase in both population in recent years and rain this year I suspect.

Nigelb said:

More taking of the piss.

And my water bill is five times as high as it was in 1995. A lot of people would happily accept turds in rivers and the sea for a much lower water bill.

And their lies the problemm
    1995 was almost 30 years ago. You may also be in a bigger house than in 1995.

And, water infrastructure had been underinvested in, and you do need to successfully collect and distribute water, so some rise (in real terms) was probably inevitable.

I will grant you that the way that companies leveraged themselves up with massive amounts of debt, and then needed to raise prices to pay interest payments will also have contributed to price rises.
    New thread.

Innit.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,277

NEW THREAD

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,452
    George Clooney calls on Biden to drop out.

https://x.com/yashar/status/1811055389879992828
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,116
    rcs1000 said:

1.54 @1pm

To

1.92 @5pm

I think when the end comes for Biden, it will come very quickly.
    Note that the deadline for qualifying candidates for the Ohio statewide ballot is August 7.

Which would appear in turn to be deadline for Democrats (or anybody else) to nominate their nominees for POTUS and VP.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,980

GIN1138 said:

Martin Brundle's apology to Sir Brian May probably just makes things worse... For Sir Brian 😂

Martin Brundle
    @MBrundleF1
    It is me who should be apologising to Sir Brian May, not him to me for the gridwalk on Sunday at Silverstone. I didn’t address him as Sir Brian, and I shouldn’t have approached him twice when he wasn’t up for a chat on live TV. Nobody is ever obliged to talk to me on the grid, or anywhere else for that matter.

Martin Brundle over 'Sir' Brian May any day.
    Sir Martin when he retires please, for services to motor racing and broadcasting.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,980

1.54 @1pm

To

1.92 @5pm

There’s some good money to be made day trading that market at the moment, following the ups and downs of a party and media elite tearing itself apart.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 225

"In short, they [ the US] remain imo about 2 or 3 decades behind Europe, on most measures."

Here's a list of nations by air pollution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_air_pollution

(The US has lower air pollution than most European nations, in spite of higher per capita energy use.)

Remember America and Britain have to be uniquely awful at everything.
    That's only PM2.5, particulates, reason is probably low % of diesel cars in US.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,701

Roger said:

Taz said:

Absolutely!

Have you ever considered lifting your morality out of the gutter?
    Bartholomew's comment was so black having seen the many babies with shrapnel being taken out of their faces that I thought he must have a macabre sense of humour. It seems there's more than just him
This discussion has been closed.