Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How the pollsters fared in Scotland – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• PhilPhil Posts: 2,193
    edited July 9

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

pm215 said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"Cyclist killed elderly woman after crashing into her trying to overtake her as she walked with a friend along River Thames towpath, court hears"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13613217/Cyclist-killed-elderly-woman-crashing-River-Thames-towpath-court-hears.html

Terrible, at least IDS was re elected and can now reintroduce his death by dangerous cycling bill into Parliament as a private member's bill
    I’ve cycled along many tow paths. I just can’t imagine doing the speed that would catapult someone you hit into the air. They are all mixed use.
    I'd be interested in the physics that could send someone airborne from a cycling collision. What speed? How would you generate upwards force given your high centre if gravity?
    I can imagine if the cyclist swerves to avoid, they are no longer vertical, and the bottom of their wheel takes out the pedestrian's legs, catapulting them. P'haps.
    Reading it, it sounds like a typical inelastic collision so a simple momentum transfer gives some indication.

Assuming the mass of the bike is 10kg = 100N, the rider is 100kg = 1000N, the woman 55kg = 550n and that he was riding reasonably quickly (say 15mph = 7½ m/s) then the velocity of the woman after the collision would be

(100 + 1000) / 550 * 7.5 = 15m/s or approx 30 mph

She might as well have been hit by a car.
    15mph is v. fast for someone cycling on a towpath. That’s the maximum legal speed for e-bike assistance.

It would be unlikely they were going that quickly. I have seen the occasional eejit on the Oxford towpath going far too fast so I wouldn’t put it beyond the bounds of possibility but those individuals make up a tiny minority of towpath cyclists in my experience.
    Mmm, 15mph seemed like a very high figure to me too. On the other hand the number of cyclists who actually knock somebody over, let alone kill them, is also a tiny minority. If it was 15mph then I would expect that to feature in the prosecution case as clearly excessive, but the Mail doesn't mention speed. Might just be crap reporting, of course..
    Thankfully the roads in the UK are pretty safe and the number of drivers and the number of cyclists who actually knock anyone over, let alone kill them, is a tiny minority either way.

Interestingly, proportionately per vehicle/bike per mile, it seems that cycles and cars are about exactly as dangerous as each other to pedestrians. I'm not sure why that is considering vehicles are heavier you'd think they'd be more dangerous but they're not? Perhaps because cyclists are more likely to ride on the pavement so increasing the risk to pedestrians.
    Citation? Maybe you are including roads where neither pedestrians nor cyclists are allowed?
    1% of pedestrian fatalities are by cyclists.

However cyclists make up less than 1% of the miles travelled that cars do.

So per mile, they're roughly equivalent to each other.
    But there are obviously lots of miles driven by cars on roads with few to zero pedestrians AND few to zero cyclists. If you limited it to the kinds of journeys typically made on bicycles I suspect you'd find that cars are much more dangerous than cycles to pedestrians.
    And its not 1% more like ~.6-.7%. Even then he's not counting the vehicle vs cycle deaths which is heavily skewed ~100 to 0. Nor vehicle vs vehicle collisions...

Drivers kill ~1700 a year, cyclists ~2.5.
    Even the pavement stuff is wrong. 548 pedestrians on pavements were killed by vehicles in between 2005 and 2018. 6 of those were killed by cyclists.
    6 is more than 1% of 548. Happy to round it to 1% though.

Cyclists miles travelled are less than 1% of driver miles travelled. Happy to round it to 1% though.

So on a per mile basis then, using your own data, cyclists are as deadly as drivers. And that's with rounding working in favour of cyclists both times.
    You really need to remove the motorway miles from this data, since there are (to a first approximation) no pedestrians on motorways.!

Total vehicular miles in 2023 was ~330billion, of which 70billion was on motorways.

Cyclists make up 3.6 billion of that 330 billion, so the potion of cycle miles on roads that might have pedestrians on is 3.6 / (330 - 70 - 3.6) = 1.4%

If cyclists kill pedestrians at a rate of 6/548 that’s 1.1% of the rate.

Ergo, cyclists kill pedestrians at about 2/3 the rate that motorised vehicles do on the raw numbers.

One could reasonably argue that there aren’t very many pedestrians on A-roads either, but given that some A-roads are also ordinary roads in towns I don’t think we can justify dropping A-roads from this comparison.

(We should probably add up the estimates of driving distance for the last twenty years, since we’ve taken pedestrian deaths over such a long period. Feel free to run the numbers :) )
    So yeah, excluding the motorways then cyclists represent 1% of fatalities and 1% of total mileage, to the nearest percentage point.

Hardly hundreds to one as implied by Eabhal's misuse of the figures.
    I could make a strong case for removing A-road travel from the vehicular numbers too: Which brings the rates much more in line with Eabhal’s numbers. My point is not to reach a particular figure but that including all motorised vehicle miles when making these comparisons is obviously disingenuous & I think you display your bias by relying on these comparisons. Even when motorways are excluded you apparently cannot resist rounding the numbers so that they appear to be the same.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,494
    Andy_JS said:

"A senior Tory MP has suggested Nigel Farage should join the Conservative party. Sir Edward Leigh told BBC Look North his party had been "completely trashed in this election because the right wing vote is divided". Sir Edward retained his Gainsborough seat, but with a reduced majority."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c720w4pze28o

Twat
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,710
    Andy_JS said:

"A senior Tory MP has suggested Nigel Farage should join the Conservative party. Sir Edward Leigh told BBC Look North his party had been "completely trashed in this election because the right wing vote is divided". Sir Edward retained his Gainsborough seat, but with a reduced majority."

When will they learn ?
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,337
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Commons and Lords sitting again for the first time this afternoon. Government benches packed to bursting with Labour MPs unsurprisingly. Father of the House Sir Edward Leigh asks Lindsay Choyle to confirm he wishes to return as Speaker, he affirms he does

Lindsay Hoyle makes a great speech.
    Was Cat Smith addressing him as "Lindsay" on the floor of the House during her nomination speech a constitutional outrage/refreshing change.. or has that happened before when the Speaker has still to be elected. I'd have thought at least "the Hon member for Chorley"!!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,222
    Nearly two million views...

So another @TPUSA “ambassador” appears to be a bit of a virulent antisemite.
    https://x.com/joshtpm/status/1810646467377254690
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,200
    Goodness, have most of the female Tory MPs lost their seats? A shot of the Tory benches just now looked about 90% male.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,378
    Andy_JS said:

Goodness, have most of the female Tory MPs lost their seats? A shot of the Tory benches just now looked about 90% male.

I imagine most male and most female Tory MPs lost their seats.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,806
    Andy_JS said:

Some point there, no merger but greater co operation at the next GE needed. Tories and Reform combined got 38% of the vote on 4th July compared to just 34% for Labour
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,701
    Nigelb said:

It's a grotesque lie about the Holocaust, nonetheless it should concern the Israeli government that they are simultaneously alienating the American left, centre left and now the hard right

They are not overburdened with friends as it is
    HYUFD said:

Leader of the Opposition Rishi Sunak now speaks following an initial speech by PM Sir Keir Starmer

I know it won't last and this is just ceremonial, but gawd the HoC is better when they treat each other as human beings rather than something they trod in on the Millbank pavement.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,673
    edited July 9
    viewcode said:

I am giving serious consideration on the afternoon thread saying

Suella Braverman is a [moderated] raging homophobe, she's an [word that gets you banned from PB]

Her speech has to be the most homophobic speech from a Brit politician since the 1980s.

She can get in the fucking sea.

Before the gender-critical PB contributors respond, it needs to be pointed out that Ms Braverman was objecting to the Progress Pride flag (the one with the stripes and triangles) specifically, not the Pride flag (the one with the stripes) generally, and doing so because of its trans association. She is critical of both the theory and practice of trans and this would be consistent with her past remarks. Since PB is - how can I put this - a teensy bit split on this issue, you may prefer to lay off the speech for the moment.

Excerpts of the speech are online, but the speech was made in the National Conservatism Conference in Washington and the speech will be online in video form in due course via its YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/@NationalConservatism/videos

Is NCC very different to CPAC?

(I see it is more international, but is it USA-centric?)

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,772
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Twat
    It's going even worse than I expected. This country needs a professional opposition to sterilise Labour's left wing agitators and the Conservatives are abdicating themselves of that responsibility.

Frankly, it would be best for them to get the mad right winger in (and out) early. Just get it over and done with and then seek a vaguely electable candidate 3 years before the the next GE.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,323
    edited July 9
    Andy_JS said:

From a quick count just 26 or so of the 121 Conservative MPs are female.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252

Andy_JS said:

When will they learn ?
    Quite, the last thing Reform need is to be
    Nigelb said:

Even if he was right about the numbers it wouldn't change anything. Whatever the numbers were would have been a lot higher if they were not stopped in their tracks.

• BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,378
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

pm215 said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"Cyclist killed elderly woman after crashing into her trying to overtake her as she walked with a friend along River Thames towpath, court hears"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13613217/Cyclist-killed-elderly-woman-crashing-River-Thames-towpath-court-hears.html

Terrible, at least IDS was re elected and can now reintroduce his death by dangerous cycling bill into Parliament as a private member's bill
    I’ve cycled along many tow paths. I just can’t imagine doing the speed that would catapult someone you hit into the air. They are all mixed use.
    I'd be interested in the physics that could send someone airborne from a cycling collision. What speed? How would you generate upwards force given your high centre if gravity?
    I can imagine if the cyclist swerves to avoid, they are no longer vertical, and the bottom of their wheel takes out the pedestrian's legs, catapulting them. P'haps.
    Reading it, it sounds like a typical inelastic collision so a simple momentum transfer gives some indication.

Assuming the mass of the bike is 10kg = 100N, the rider is 100kg = 1000N, the woman 55kg = 550n and that he was riding reasonably quickly (say 15mph = 7½ m/s) then the velocity of the woman after the collision would be

15mph is v. fast for someone cycling on a towpath. That’s the maximum legal speed for e-bike assistance.

It would be unlikely they were going that quickly. I have seen the occasional eejit on the Oxford towpath going far too fast so I wouldn’t put it beyond the bounds of possibility but those individuals make up a tiny minority of towpath cyclists in my experience.
    Mmm, 15mph seemed like a very high figure to me too. On the other hand the number of cyclists who actually knock somebody over, let alone kill them, is also a tiny minority. If it was 15mph then I would expect that to feature in the prosecution case as clearly excessive, but the Mail doesn't mention speed. Might just be crap reporting, of course..
    Thankfully the roads in the UK are pretty safe and the number of drivers and the number of cyclists who actually knock anyone over, let alone kill them, is a tiny minority either way.

Interestingly, proportionately per vehicle/bike per mile, it seems that cycles and cars are about exactly as dangerous as each other to pedestrians. I'm not sure why that is considering vehicles are heavier you'd think they'd be more dangerous but they're not? Perhaps because cyclists are more likely to ride on the pavement so increasing the risk to pedestrians.
    Citation? Maybe you are including roads where neither pedestrians nor cyclists are allowed?

But there are obviously lots of miles driven by cars on roads with few to zero pedestrians AND few to zero cyclists. If you limited it to the kinds of journeys typically made on bicycles I suspect you'd find that cars are much more dangerous than cycles to pedestrians.
    And its not 1% more like ~.6-.7%. Even then he's not counting the vehicle vs cycle deaths which is heavily skewed ~100 to 0. Nor vehicle vs vehicle collisions...

Even the pavement stuff is wrong. 548 pedestrians on pavements were killed by vehicles in between 2005 and 2018. 6 of those were killed by cyclists.

Cyclists miles travelled are less than 1% of driver miles travelled. Happy to round it to 1% though.

So on a per mile basis then, using your own data, cyclists are as deadly as drivers. And that's with rounding working in favour of cyclists both times.
    You really need to remove the motorway miles from this data, since there are (to a first approximation) no pedestrians on motorways.!

Total vehicular miles in 2023 was ~330billion, of which 70billion was on motorways.

Cyclists make up 3.6 billion of that 330 billion, so the potion of cycle miles on roads that might have pedestrians on is 3.6 / (330 - 70 - 3.6) = 1.4%

Ergo, cyclists kill pedestrians at about 2/3 the rate that motorised vehicles do on the raw numbers.

One could reasonably argue that there aren’t very many pedestrians on A-roads either, but given that some A-roads are also ordinary roads in towns I don’t think we can justify dropping A-roads from this comparison.

(We should probably add up the estimates of driving distance for the last twenty years, since we’ve taken pedestrian deaths over such a long period. Feel free to run the numbers :) )
    So yeah, excluding the motorways then cyclists represent 1% of fatalities and 1% of total mileage, to the nearest percentage point.

I could make a strong case for removing A-road travel from the vehicular numbers too: Which brings the rates much more in line with Eabhal’s numbers. My point is not to reach a particular figure but that including all motorised vehicle miles when making these comparisons is obviously disingenuous & I think you display your bias by relying on these comparisons. Even when motorways are excluded you apparently cannot resist rounding the numbers so that they appear to be the same.
    No case for removing A-roads, A-roads have both bicycles and pedestrians on them. Motorways fair enough, but not A-roads.

Sorry but I'm being consistent, I rounded to nearest percentage point consistently even when the rounding was going against my point.

And I think rounding to the nearest percentage point is entirely appropriate as after that it really does fall into the realm of rounding errors, considering we are dealing with such small numbers as well as looking at a 20 year span when 20 years ago cycling mileages were lower than they are today (which hasn't been taken into account) and cars had less safety features than they have today (also not taken into account).

Andy_JS said:

Stats from BBC, covering everything except disability.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c727ny2jd84o

Andy_JS said:

25 if they remove the whip from Braverman
    Nigelb said:

Even if he was right about the numbers it wouldn't change anything. Whatever the numbers were would have been a lot higher if they were not stopped in their tracks.

edited July 9
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

pm215 said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Not my numbers. Just the numbers collected by the police, and relate only to pedestrian casualties on pavements.

Let's go with Barty's per mile analysis. Drivers spend very little time on pavements compared with cyclists, yet cause 90x as many fatalities on them.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127

HYUFD said:

Leader of the Opposition Rishi Sunak now speaks following an initial speech by PM Sir Keir Starmer

I know it won't last and this is just ceremonial, but gawd the HoC is better when they treat each other as human beings rather than something they trod in on the Millbank pavement.
    Why can't they act like that all the time? When someone has a different view on VAT on private school fees for example, they aren't being evil, they just have other policy priorities.

Andy_JS said:

Why would they do that?
    Sunak was playing for an easy ride during the PMQs he will have to endure while his party plays out the next episode of its never-ending psychodrama.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,323
    edited July 9
    Eabhal said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Twat
    It's going even worse than I expected. This country needs a professional opposition to sterilise Labour's left wing agitators and the Conservatives are abdicating themselves of that responsibility.

Frankly, it would be best for them to get the mad right winger in (and out) early. Just get it over and done with and then seek a vaguely electable candidate 3 years before the the next GE.
    "...to sterilise Labour's left wing agitators..." Lol

The country needs a professional opposition to hold the centre-left Labour government to account; your obsession with 'left wing agitators' is irrelevant. Indeed far from needing to be 'sterilised', the few hard left Labour MPs are more likely to be aiding the opposition.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,966
    edited July 9

Andy_JS said:

When will they learn ?
    Well they may not, in which case the Liberal Democrats will take the rest of their seats in the South.

Reform might make progress in the north, but that is more problematic than it seems... Closeness to Russia is not just unpopular...

Sir Edward Leigh, who is almost the stereotype reactionary, is unlikely to be heard however.
    edited July 9
    Farage now speaks to the Commons for the first time and congratulates Hoyle while hitting out at Bercow
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,980

Leon said:

Also I'm eating cold roast chicken, ripe Cavaillon melon, and sipping chilled rose wine, as I gaze over the Luberon, and my flint knapping is done for the day. So all I have to do is loaf about, maybe have a siesta, go look at a church in the lavender fields, then drink Bandol

https://www.avignon-et-provence.com/en/monuments/senanque-abbey

As a man of advanced years, that is close to perfect happiness

You can buy cold roast chicken, tropical fruit and Kylie's finest pink plonk at the big Sainsbury's where you live. No need for foreign travel.
    My wife turned up with a bottle of Kylie pink plonk a few weeks back - and it was actually really nice.

A rare example of ‘celebrity drink’ done properly, rather than some random white label Californian crap sold at a large markup, which is what most of them are.

Andy_JS said:

Why would they do that?
    She is toxic
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,438
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

pm215 said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

For the umpteenth time, you don't have cyclists travelling hundreds of miles along the M74. You absolutely love the per mile comparisons because it's the only way you can claim that drivers of 1.5 tonne vehicles pose less of a risk to pedestrians than those on 10kg push bikes.
    Try working it out per cyclist-day and motorist-day.
    ooof, Farage starts off as he means to carry on.
    HYUFD said:

Farage now speaks to the Commons for the first time and congratulates Hoyle while hitting out at Bercow

And watch the media fawn over him
    edited July 9
    Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

When will they learn ?
    Well they may not, in which case the Liberal Democrats will take the rest of their seats on the South.

Reform might make progress in the north, but that is more problematic than it seems... Closeness to Russia is not just unpopular...
    There were a number of seats the LDs won in the South where the Tory and Reform vote was bigger than theirs, plenty of Southern seats too where Labour were second to the Tories or even Reform were second not the LDs

HYUFD said:

Aaaaand there's Farage, who needs to get a dig in at "little man" Bercow and how he besmirched the office. Received by a few sharp intakes of breath and not a hint of "hear hear", as it was seemingly not the time or place. He's gonna have a lonely time (probably with zero f*cks given)

Phil said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

pm215 said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

No case for removing A-roads, A-roads have both bicycles and pedestrians on them. Motorways fair enough, but not A-roads.

Sorry but I'm being consistent, I rounded to nearest percentage point consistently even when the rounding was going against my point.

And I think rounding to the nearest percentage point is entirely appropriate as after that it really does fall into the realm of rounding errors, considering we are dealing with such small numbers as well as looking at a 20 year span when 20 years ago cycling mileages were lower than they are today (which hasn't been taken into account) and cars had less safety features than they have today (also not taken into account).
    How about removing the Strategic Road Network then? https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/road-traffic-estimates-in-great-britain-2023/road-traffic-estimates-in-great-britain-2023-traffic-on-englands-road-networks#englands-strategic-road-network-traffic

That’s 100billion vehicle miles, making cycling 1.8% of vehicular miles on the non-strategic network. So with your approach to rounding (1.1 -> 1 & 1.8 -> 2) that gives us a ceiling of half the rate of pedestrian deaths for cyclists vs motorised vehicles.

Another way to get at comparable figures would be to look at local authority traffic surveys.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,876
    edited July 9
    HYUFD said:

Nice dig at Bercow there, lol!
    edited July 9
    HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

When will they learn ?
    Well they may not, in which case the Liberal Democrats will take the rest of their seats on the South.

There were a number of seats the LDs won in the South where the Tory and Reform vote was bigger than theirs, plenty of Southern seats too where Labour were second to the Tories or even Reform were second not the LDs
    Just a shame that more of those Reform voters wanted the Tory government gone that were willing to vote for it, given the choice.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,927
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

I am giving serious consideration on the afternoon thread saying

Suella Braverman is a [moderated] raging homophobe, she's an [word that gets you banned from PB]

Her speech has to be the most homophobic speech from a Brit politician since the 1980s.

She can get in the fucking sea.

Before the gender-critical PB contributors respond, it needs to be pointed out that Ms Braverman was objecting to the Progress Pride flag (the one with the stripes and triangles) specifically, not the Pride flag (the one with the stripes) generally, and doing so because of its trans association. She is critical of both the theory and practice of trans and this would be consistent with her past remarks. Since PB is - how can I put this - a teensy bit split on this issue, you may prefer to lay off the speech for the moment.

Excerpts of the speech are online, but the speech was made in the National Conservatism Conference in Washington and the speech will be online in video form in due course via its YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/@NationalConservatism/videos

Is NCC very different to CPAC?

(I see it is more international, but is it USA-centric?)

NCC is international. CPAC is more American-centric. But the NCC is mostly the Anglosphere interpretation of national conservatism, which pisses me off because the central Europeans did it for years beforehand and it's one of the most popular political families in the Intermarium. It's a bit like Cook discovering Australia, despite the fact that it was already inhabited.

NCC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Conservatism_Conference
    CPAC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Political_Action_Conference
    Phil said:

Foxy said:

Phil said:

tlg86 said:

The Guardian getting in on the doubts concerning the Letby case:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jul/09/lucy-letby-evidence-experts-question

The ending was interesting:

Prof John Ashton, a former public health director, became exercised about Letby’s trial before it was finished. He had blown the whistle on a cluster of baby and maternal deaths at the Morecambe Bay hospitals when he was regional director of public health for the north-west of England. His direct experience, with the Morecambe Bay scandal, is that human instinct drives people to look for someone or something to blame, but the root causes are often more complicated and numerous.

It's almost been forgotten that the complete opposite happened in this case. That's not to say that proves Letby is guilty, but I think we can discount the possibility that she was scapegoated.

Sorry, but this is rubbish. Hospital upper management may have denied the possibility that Letby was responsible, but the consultants in the ward became convinced that she was responsible in preference to blaming the (unacceptably poor - we have the reports!) standard of care being meted out by their own department.

Prof Ashton is (rightly imo) pointing out that consultants have a record of leaping to blaming individuals rather than systemic issues that are ultimately their responsibility.
    Air embolism is not caused by lackadaisical medical care, and seems to have been the cause of the collapse of several of these infants under Letby's care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-63599076

The Guardian claims to have spoken to eight clinicians, seven of them specialising in neonatology who described Evans claims that an air embolism could be introduced in the way claimed during the trials as (I quote the article) nonsensical, “rubbish”, “ridiculous”, “implausible” and “fantastical” in half the cases & the other half relied on a research paper that the /authors/ of that paper said was completely inapplicable.

I am not an expert, but this seems ... concerning to me.
    Well if the Grauniad could find eight ‘experts’ willing to testify to a newspaper, how come the legal team of the accused was unable to find any to testify at the trial?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,257
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

pm215 said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

For the umpteenth time, you don't have cyclists travelling hundreds of miles along the M74. You absolutely love the per mile comparisons because it's the only way you can claim that drivers of 1.5 tonne vehicles pose less of a risk to pedestrians than those on 10kg push bikes.
    Hardly any pedestrians are killed by aeroplanes, per mile travelled :innocent:
  • WildernessPt2WildernessPt2 Posts: 256

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:
    I couldn't read the whole (paywalled) article but reading what I could see on on the front page image, the headline seems to be typically atrocious reporting from the Telegraph. AIUI it's the economist Tony Smith saying this not Blair and the message is 'unless growth and productivity improve'.

Again, none of this is very insightful - that we face a major demographic challenge is hardly new news.
    The report is by Tom Smith, published by the Blair Institute, and Blair is making a speech today about it.

Agree that it’s hardly news that the next few years will be difficult.
    We desperately need to find growth - which means building things and creating infrastructure -things that have been blocked for the past decade due to the previous Tory Governments unwillingness to do things..
    The unwillingness to do things is as a result of the Process State. When in doubt, add more process. Because it is free* and sounds morally correct.

So, on house building, Labour will come up with a plan. Sounds like new towns are on the agenda. Then they will hit a wall of requirements in law to consider emissions, runoff etc etc. All very vague and poorly thought out.

These will be used to tie up any progress. A large number of lawyers will be happy and the Supreme Court will end up hearing some cases.

*No it isn’t.
    Nigel Farage will also be happy when nothing much gets done other than the government getting tied up in procedures, legal disputes snd court cases.

In fact I would go so far as to say that his stragegy for the 2029 election has this as it's key dependency.
    I keep saying 'nutrient neutrality' is the killer of development. This not by accident. Hapless ministers might not have realised what they were doing, but there are now hundreds of thousands of builds that are just log jammed stuck because they cant feasibly comply.
    Another example of the blob, it was spearheaded by statutory consultee the uber-blob quango Natural England, unaccountable entirely to democratic oversite, told planning authorities they mustn't allow developments without being able to show nutrient neutrality.

Can the Labour party really be brave enough to face down the environmental groups?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,376
    TUV MP next to Nige, but he spoke after the DUP so presumably on friendlier terms than they were about a week ago but TUV not taking the Reform whip.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,476
    edited July 9
    Farage wants to p*ss everyone else in the Commons off, that’s his shtick.

It will get wearing quickly.
    Great short speech there from Eastwood
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

kinabalu said:

"Senior White House advisers for more than a year have aggressively stage-managed President Biden’s schedule, movements and personal interactions, as they sought to minimize signs of how age has taken a toll on the oldest president in U.S. history.”

Wall Street Journal.

The idea that this is all going to go away and it will be business as usual if Biden makes a few speeches without freezing up or trailing off is absolutely ridiculous.

The Democrats are starting to really damage their own brand.
    I've long been confident there'll be no return to the WH for Donald Trump but I am now starting to worry. I'll be 100% for Biden if he (wrong-headedly imo) insists on staying in (that remains a no-brainer) but I don't have a vote, I only have a betting position which loses a packet if the (to me) unthinkable were to happen. Sadly it becomes less unthinkable if the Dem candidate is too frail to campaign properly. With that gift, plus a poll lead, plus having both the GOP and SC in his pocket, you have to say Trump has a big chance in November. Eg on the betting, if you compare WH prices and Nominee prices, it implies Biden at over 4 vs Trump if that is the match-up. With the election only 4 months away that's not great.
    I'm definitely worried.
    Biden made sense to me as a candidate because he beat Trump before and has imo been a good president, with an economic record to be envied.

But there's no way his age can't be a big drag now on his campaign.

So reluctantly, I think he should step down, and pass on to Harris. Democrats should unite around the person they agreed should be backup president.
    I also think it would give Harris a boost if Biden stepped graciously down and gave her his backing. All the ‘come at me if you think your tough enough’ stuff is just strategising West Wing bollocks.
    Keeping Biden at top of the ticket is now madness.

It will not only give Trump 2.0 an easy win but quite probably hammer further down the ballot.

But looks like that is what is going to happen although the ragin' cajun thinks Biden will step down.

Trump wants Biden to step down, he knows Harris is very unpopular in the rustbelt and would give him a Reagan like landslide.

Whereas he knows Biden beat him there last time and the Dems would probably have to nominate Harris if Biden stepped down unless Michelle Obama could be persuaded, who is the only Dem candidate he really fears
    Trump beats Biden after the disastrous debate.

Anyone is now better equipped than Biden to beat Trump. Biden should be over already.

Sometimes I think you might be a secret Trump fanboi.
    Yes, quite. No way does Trump want Biden to stand down, now

Trump is 99.5% likely to beat Demented Joe. If the Dems get a grip and choose someone else, maybe someone sane and under 90 years old, then it is all up in the air again

The Dems have fucked themselves royally, but it is not terminal. They can still rescue things - maybe - if they kick Joe out
    They can still win with Biden, with a bigger post convention poll bounce than the GOP and of course Trump could still be jailed in September.
    This is delusional. Look at the polls. And Biden's dementia isn't going away, it is going to get worse - literally, medically and electorally - as the media obsesses about everything he does or says

Swing Vote Americans will think - which is worse, the asshole Trump who nonetheless doesn't start wars, or an actually mad president who might? Leading a party which conspired to hide his madness for a year? And then kept him as their candidate, despite his being mad?

They will vote Trump, and they would be right to do so. Biden has to go: he is certain to lose
    Yep.

Dems must steal themselves and stop feeling all protective and nostalgic about good old joe.

He's too fucking old and that's the end of it.

Maybe he’s so far gone he thinks he’s the Queen and needs to keep going until death.
    That is definitely the case, ie I reckon he's so demented he no longer realises he is demented, he's gone beyond that crucial stage of self awareness. Which is

1. Really sad

and

2. Really dangerous, for America, and thus everyone else
    Worse than that, everyone around him, from his wife and son down through all the staff, depends on his patronage. So no-one dares tell the Emperor himself that he’s not been wearing any clothes for a while now, even if the donors and the media have suddenly started to notice.

Eabhal said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Twat

"...to sterilise Labour's left wing agitators..." Lol

The country needs a professional opposition to hold the centre-left Labour government to account; your obsession with 'left wing agitators' is irrelevant. Indeed far from needing to be 'sterilised', the few hard left Labour MPs are more likely to be aiding the opposition.
    Eh? I don't think I have an obsession. And we're in agreement about the hard left likely to aid the opposition.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,326
    @kitty_donaldson

EXC: National Security Adviser Sir Tim Barrow has been told he will not become the UK’s next ambassador to the US, as Downing Street gears up to make a political appointee, with David Miliband and Peter Mandelson the two front-runners

https://x.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1810681373021073707
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,208
    Scott_xP said:

@kitty_donaldson

EXC: National Security Adviser Sir Tim Barrow has been told he will not become the UK’s next ambassador to the US, as Downing Street gears up to make a political appointee, with David Miliband and Peter Mandelson the two front-runners

Who'd want it? Four years trying to deal with Trump 2.0??

Scott_xP said:

@kitty_donaldson

Assuming he wins and a long way to go yet and even if he does it remains the most prestigious foreign posting with lots of opportunity for champagne receptions with the great and good of DC
  • WildernessPt2WildernessPt2 Posts: 256

The last Parliament he got up and made speeches in he ended up taking out a chunk that represented the wealth of 21 of the 28 other nations represented there. Don't underestimate the windbag. It will wear thin amongst parliamentarians, but less so voters.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,969

HYUFD said:

Been a problem for a while now. I expect he’ll have a permanent spot on Question Time.
    Although the producers might be a bit more aware of Davey, and what he might do on air!
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,520
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Yesterday's news, tomorrow from Farage.
    Pulpstar said:

TUV MP next to Nige, but he spoke after the DUP so presumably on friendlier terms than they were about a week ago but TUV not taking the Reform whip.

NEVER!
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@kitty_donaldson

Assuming he wins and a long way to go yet and even if he does it remains the most prestigious foreign posting with lots of opportunity for champagne receptions with the great and good of DC
    'opportunity for champagne receptions with the great and good of DC'

What an aspiration !!!!!!
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,438
    Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

pm215 said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Or canal boats, per perch.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,273
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@kitty_donaldson

Considering our relationship with the US I would have hoped that a former national security adviser would be a better selection as ambassador to be understanding the geopolitical and security issues that are key to the relationship - more so than a Labour placeman to go to champagne receptions.
    mwadams said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Yesterday's news, tomorrow from Farage.
    The procedures of parliament don’t hand Farage many opportunities to grandstand, like he has today.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,869
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Some point there, no merger but greater co operation at the next GE needed. Tories and Reform combined got 38% of the vote on 4th July compared to just 34% for Labour
    CHB said it better than I.

That doesn’t work and you know it.
    If it did you could add Green to Labour, and where do the LDs fit?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,268
    edited July 9

HYUFD said:

Aaaaand there's Farage, who needs to get a dig in at "little man" Bercow and how he besmirched the office. Received by a few sharp intakes of breath and not a hint of "hear hear", as it was seemingly not the time or place. He's gonna have a lonely time (probably with zero f*cks given)
    The dig at Bercow and the call-back to Brexit will, Farage hopes, harvest the likes and attention he is after on social media.

More than most MPs he will be speaking to an audience outside the chamber. I'm sure he's going to try and pick some arguments with other MPs, having started with someone not in Parliament.
    edited July 9
    Scott_xP said:

@kitty_donaldson

I'd probably go for Lord Mandelbrot, there, if we need to rely on hoodwinking Mr Chump. *

* IIRC (I may not be), that's how we got them into both world wars.
    Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

pm215 said:

Phil said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Quite a few drivers though, if you consider what happened at Shoreham
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,842
    edited July 9
    Selebian's advice is good: "I ring my bell and slow down substantially for children, dogs, elderly people."

In recent years I've added another group to that list: people glued to their cellphones. And have had a few "close encounters", even so.

HYUFD said:

Been a problem for a while now. I expect he’ll have a permanent spot on Question Time.
    Although the producers might be a bit more aware of Davey, and what he might do on air!
    I wonder if Davey will be campaigning for lower insurance premiums?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,070
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Michelle Obama is never, will never and has never wanted or is going to run this electoral cycle. She is one of those that needs to have been deepest red in anyone's book.

But preferably at 20 not 120.
    She's taken over from Hillary Clinton as the David Miliband of the market - doubtless she'll shorten up next presidential cycle too.
    Yes. This was a bit more than that though. 120 into 12 with decent liquidity. I doubt we'll see that again. It's because of these particular and peculiar circs, the horror of Trump, Biden's health and disapprovals.
    edited July 9
    Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Foxy said:

Phil said:

tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jul/09/lucy-letby-evidence-experts-question

Prof John Ashton, a former public health director, became exercised about Letby’s trial before it was finished. He had blown the whistle on a cluster of baby and maternal deaths at the Morecambe Bay hospitals when he was regional director of public health for the north-west of England. His direct experience, with the Morecambe Bay scandal, is that human instinct drives people to look for someone or something to blame, but the root causes are often more complicated and numerous.

It's almost been forgotten that the complete opposite happened in this case. That's not to say that proves Letby is guilty, but I think we can discount the possibility that she was scapegoated.

Sorry, but this is rubbish. Hospital upper management may have denied the possibility that Letby was responsible, but the consultants in the ward became convinced that she was responsible in preference to blaming the (unacceptably poor - we have the reports!) standard of care being meted out by their own department.

Prof Ashton is (rightly imo) pointing out that consultants have a record of leaping to blaming individuals rather than systemic issues that are ultimately their responsibility.
    Air embolism is not caused by lackadaisical medical care, and seems to have been the cause of the collapse of several of these infants under Letby's care.

The Guardian claims to have spoken to eight clinicians, seven of them specialising in neonatology who described Evans claims that an air embolism could be introduced in the way claimed during the trials as (I quote the article) nonsensical, “rubbish”, “ridiculous”, “implausible” and “fantastical” in half the cases & the other half relied on a research paper that the /authors/ of that paper said was completely inapplicable.

Well if the Grauniad could find eight ‘experts’ willing to testify to a newspaper, how come the legal team of the accused was unable to find any to testify at the trial?
    You should perhaps be asking that same question about every previous miscarriage of justice where the court relied on flawed medical or statistical evidence & the defence failed to challenge it effectively at the original trial.

The justice system does this over & over again.
  • novanova Posts: 672
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

But when Reform voters were asked their second choice, only a third said the Tories.

Almost as many said Lab/LD/Green.

Farage himself said it was different to 2019, and he couldn't deliver Reform voters to the Tories, even if he stood down.

Even if a lot of Reform 24 turn out to be Tory 19, we need to remember that the Tories in 19 were the Get Brexit Done coalition that took the Red Wall. There might be a right wing coalition on some issues, but without something as big as Brexit, Reform voters aren't going to move as a block to an economically right wing Tory party.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,511

Andy_JS said:

The Lib Dems have more female MPs (32) than Conservatives (29).

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:
    I couldn't read the whole (paywalled) article but reading what I could see on on the front page image, the headline seems to be typically atrocious reporting from the Telegraph. AIUI it's the economist Tony Smith saying this not Blair and the message is 'unless growth and productivity improve'.

Again, none of this is very insightful - that we face a major demographic challenge is hardly new news.
    The report is by Tom Smith, published by the Blair Institute, and Blair is making a speech today about it.

We desperately need to find growth - which means building things and creating infrastructure -things that have been blocked for the past decade due to the previous Tory Governments unwillingness to do things..
    The unwillingness to do things is as a result of the Process State. When in doubt, add more process. Because it is free* and sounds morally correct.

So, on house building, Labour will come up with a plan. Sounds like new towns are on the agenda. Then they will hit a wall of requirements in law to consider emissions, runoff etc etc. All very vague and poorly thought out.

These will be used to tie up any progress. A large number of lawyers will be happy and the Supreme Court will end up hearing some cases.

*No it isn’t.
    Nigel Farage will also be happy when nothing much gets done other than the government getting tied up in procedures, legal disputes snd court cases.

In fact I would go so far as to say that his stragegy for the 2029 election has this as it's key dependency.
    I keep saying 'nutrient neutrality' is the killer of development. This not by accident. Hapless ministers might not have realised what they were doing, but there are now hundreds of thousands of builds that are just log jammed stuck because they cant feasibly comply.
    Another example of the blob, it was spearheaded by statutory consultee the uber-blob quango Natural England, unaccountable entirely to democratic oversite, told planning authorities they mustn't allow developments without being able to show nutrient neutrality.

Can the Labour party really be brave enough to face down the environmental groups?
    The irony here is the main cause of nutrient runoff into the rivers is farming isn‘t it?

But we can’t go after the farmers - that’s far too politically challenging. Much better to go after the politically less well connected house building industry.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,211

The last Parliament he got up and made speeches in he ended up taking out a chunk that represented the wealth of 21 of the 28 other nations represented there. Don't underestimate the windbag. It will wear thin amongst parliamentarians, but less so voters.
    Because whatever happens, Farage will make himself a story. If he can play the victim - warranted or unwarranted - all the better.

It's not about the good of the country. It's about him.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,016

I see Tony Blair is back running the country

Not surprised you've already noticed the improvement. The grown-ups are back in charge now.
    I thought the whole point of getting Starmer in was to get rid of the criminals and sociopaths.
    Tony is neither a criminal nor a sociopath. What he is, is highly experienced, having run the best government of the last many decades.
    Hahahahaha. I am sure you believe that as you have shown a similar level of naivity in the past. Blair was just as crooked and sociopathic as the Johnson. The only difference is he was better at it.

Do you want your sociopaths to be stupid or clever. I would suggest that the clever sociopath is far more dangerous than the stupid one.
    I do believe Tony was a much better PM than Johnson yes, just based on outcomes.

Lowest NHS waiting times in history and highest NHS satisfaction, Johnson partied through COVID.

Please don't condescend me.
    When you make such daft statements you deserve all the condescension I can muster.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,070
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Michelle Obama is never, will never and has never wanted or is going to run this electoral cycle. She is one of those that needs to have been deepest red in anyone's book.

But preferably at 20 not 120.
    Michelle Obama
    £33.32

Btw If anyone fancies a humungous payout with a black swan event & has the liquidity (And isn't premium charged) you could lay Trump at 1.61 for the presidency and back the GOP at the same price.
    That's not the worst bet in the world - things can happen around Trump.
    Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Foxy said:

Phil said:

tlg86 said:

You should perhaps be asking that same question about every previous miscarriage of justice where the court relied on flawed medical or statistical evidence & the defence failed to challenge it effectively at the original trial.

Thankfully the British justice system learned a lot from the case of Sally Clark, and at Letby’s first trial introduced a number of statisticians as expert witnesses, to make very clear to the jury that this was not a recurrence of that miscarriage of justice.
    A minor point in the endless discussion about Biden: There are American politicians older than he, who are still competent, notably Chuck Grassley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Grassley

edited July 9
    Phil said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

*No it isn’t.

The irony here is the main cause of nutrient runoff into the rivers is farming isn‘t it?

But we can’t go after the farmers - that’s far too politically challenging. Much better to go after the politically less well connected house building industry.
    Do you exaggerate the landowner connections of Labour?

The NFU and the CLA may try their best, but I don't think Mr Starmer and friends are in their pocket to the same extent as eg Therese Coffey.

MattW said:

Phil said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

*No it isn’t.

Do you exaggerate the landowner connections of Labour?

The NFU and the CLA may try their best, but I don't think Mr Starmer and friends are in their pocket to the same extent as eg Theresa Coffey.

I was thinking of the Quango that pushed for these regulations to be introduced when I wrote that - apologies for the ambiguity!
    "Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    17m
    There is at least a significant chance that Lucy Letby was a gross miscarriage of justice.

This excellent article should be read widely.

There's too many cases of wrongful convictions on the basis of statistical evidence and complex medical arguments."

https://x.com/OwenJones84/status/1810685940710432821
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Phil said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

*No it isn’t.

You think farmers have more political clout than housebuilders?

I see Tony Blair is back running the country

Not surprised you've already noticed the improvement. The grown-ups are back in charge now.
    I thought the whole point of getting Starmer in was to get rid of the criminals and sociopaths.
    Tony is neither a criminal nor a sociopath. What he is, is highly experienced, having run the best government of the last many decades.
    Hahahahaha. I am sure you believe that as you have shown a similar level of naivity in the past. Blair was just as crooked and sociopathic as the Johnson. The only difference is he was better at it.

Do you want your sociopaths to be stupid or clever. I would suggest that the clever sociopath is far more dangerous than the stupid one.
    I do believe Tony was a much better PM than Johnson yes, just based on outcomes.

Lowest NHS waiting times in history and highest NHS satisfaction, Johnson partied through COVID.

Please don't condescend me.
    When you make such daft statements you deserve all the condescension I can muster.
    He’s right, though. If a little over-enthusiastic.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,244
    PB generally: Farage gets far too much attention.
    PB on first day of new Parliament: let's just talk about Farage (and ignore Starmer etc.).
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,116
    Phil said:

algarkirk said:

I agree with you about the serious problems there are (the Post Offices cases are notable, but others too) but that does not mean this case is one of them. Lots of people are found guilty because they are. At the moment a serious analysis would be needed covering the totality of the evidence, of which there are numerous strands. Note that on the second trial Letby chose to use the same lawyers. She did not have to.

The thought that her lawyers had expert exculpatory evidence which they didn't use because they were dim is to say the least in this case unlikely.

Of course this case could run and run. Maybe a new set of lawyers will be instructed and bring stuff to the attention of the CCRC. Until we are well into that process I think the matter stands where it did.

I’m sure the lawyers are very intelligent people. But that doesn’t prevent them being ignorant of statistics.

How many lawyers did A-level mathematics? Almost none & even that course contains only the barest introduction to a very complex topic.

If you are unaware that there’s a problem with the prosecution case, you won’t even conceive of challenging it in the first place. Or you may (reasonably) believe that you will be unable to communicate those problems to a jury that is instructed to see things through a lens of “expert vs expert”.

This is a problem with the expert witness system as a whole, not with individual lawyers.

& it’s not surprising that Letby used the original lawyers for her appeal. Who else could she possible choose? How would she know that they were any better than the original ones if she did try and change her legal team? (Would she even be permitted to do so given that the country is paying for her legal representation?)

Again, Letby may well be guilty (I hope she confesses in prison if so - it would be an act of kindness to everyone involved) but the case against her bears much in common with past miscarriages of justice. It’s not surprising that people are sceptical about it.
    "How many lawyers did A-level mathematics? Almost none & even that course contains only the barest introduction to a very complex topic."

Note that in court contest re: result of 2024 Governor's race in WA State, the lead attorney for the Democrats had both a law degree AND a mathematics degree, both from Harvard.

His math skills proved VERY useful in understanding basics about an election race / court contest which concluded with Democratic candidate Christine Gregoire beating her Republican opponent by margin of +133 votes out of more than 2.8 million cast.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,511
    We are due a by election to the House of Lords due to the retirement of the Earl of Sandwich.

Will this be paused whilst legislation is passed abolishing elections for hereditary peers?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,079

I think you mean economic output - or GDP - not wealth.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,057
    Andy_JS said:

"Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    17m
    There is at least a significant chance that Lucy Letby was a gross miscarriage of justice.

This excellent article should be read widely.

There's too many cases of wrongful convictions on the basis of statistical evidence and complex medical arguments."

https://x.com/OwenJones84/status/1810685940710432821

Owen knows a fair bit about jumping to flawed conclusions based on prejudice, cockiness, and a scant regard for the facts, to be fair.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 125
    Stage 10 Le Tour, shaping up to be a sprint stage. Cav won here in 2013. Small bet on Sam Bennett for me.
    Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Foxy said:

Phil said:

tlg86 said:

Thankfully the British justice system learned a lot from the case of Sally Clark, and at Letby’s first trial introduced a number of statisticians as expert witnesses, to make very clear to the jury that this was not a recurrence of that miscarriage of justice.
    Because there are no other statistical errors one could make except the one made in the Sally Clarke case, obviously?

The Telegraph has also published an article today on the Letby trial which goes into a more detailed critique of the statistical evidence: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/09/lucy-letby-serial-killer-or-miscarriage-justice-victim/

• KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 107
    Hard to put this nicely, but Diane Abbott sounds like a by election waiting to happen.
    Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Foxy said:

Phil said:

tlg86 said:

Can you give a source for that? The judgment rejecting the application for permission to appeal gives what looks like an exhaustive list of prosecution experts

Dr Evans advised the police on the instruction of experts from specific specialisations
    and further experts were instructed and provided reports as set out below:
    i) Dr Andreas Marnerides, forensic pathologist and histopathologist;
    ii) Professor Owen Arthurs, consultant paediatric radiologist;
    iii) Professor Sally Kinsey, consultant paediatric haematologist;
    iv) Professor Peter Hindmarsh, consultant paediatric endocrinologist;
    v) Professor Stavros Stivaros, consultant paediatric neuroradiologist;
    vi) Dr Simon Kenney, consultant paediatric surgeon.

Can you point out the statisticians?

We are due a by election to the House of Lords due to the retirement of the Earl of Sandwich.

Will this be paused whilst legislation is passed abolishing elections for hereditary peers?

And will it be paused also for a light lunch consisting of a few bits and pieces between two slices of bread?

I don't really see why it should be paused. The current law is the current law until it isn't.
    KnightOut said:

Hard to put this nicely, but Diane Abbott sounds like a by election waiting to happen.

You could try not putting it at all.

And will it be paused also for a light lunch consisting of a few bits and pieces between two slices of bread?

I don't really see why it should be paused. The current law is the current law until it isn't.
    There's a whole smorgasbord of options.

Quite. By-election should be held by 20th August, there's no way that this government abolishes the hereditaries before then.

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Foxy said:

Phil said:

tlg86 said:

Can you give a source for that? The judgment rejecting the application for permission to appeal gives what looks like an exhaustive list of prosecution experts

Dr Evans advised the police on the instruction of experts from specific specialisations
    and further experts were instructed and provided reports as set out below:
    i) Dr Andreas Marnerides, forensic pathologist and histopathologist;
    ii) Professor Owen Arthurs, consultant paediatric radiologist;
    iii) Professor Sally Kinsey, consultant paediatric haematologist;
    iv) Professor Peter Hindmarsh, consultant paediatric endocrinologist;
    v) Professor Stavros Stivaros, consultant paediatric neuroradiologist;
    vi) Dr Simon Kenney, consultant paediatric surgeon.

Can you point out the statisticians?
    The Telegraph article I linked to above states:
    Partly prompted by the case, in 2022, the RSS “Statistics and The Law” section produced a paper entitled “Healthcare serial killer or coincidence?” to help legal teams present data correctly.

It recommended that investigators and prosecutors consult professional independent statisticians who could give instructions to the jury on how to interpret the data. This did not happen in the Letby trial.
    So somebody here is definitely wrong.
    SSI2: "Note that in court contest re: result of 2024 Governor's race in WA State" Perhaps you meant 2004? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Washington_gubernatorial_election

(For the record: In my opinion, if only legal ballots had been counted, the Democratic candidate, Gregoire, would have lost, narrowly -- and that I saw no way to prove that at the time, nor have I since.)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,222

HYUFD said:

The dig at Bercow and the call-back to Brexit will, Farage hopes, harvest the likes and attention he is after on social media.

More than most MPs he will be speaking to an audience outside the chamber. I'm sure he's going to try and pick some arguments with other MPs, having started with someone not in Parliament.
    Should Labour manage to actually deliver anything, it will rapidly render his schtick irrelevant. As far as I'm concerned, it is already.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,493
    Eabhal said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Twat

Remind me what happened to the last 'vaguely electable' candidate they had - I forget.
    "People want immigration controls, Blair tells Starmer
    Ex-PM says balance needs to be struck between appreciating ‘enormous benefits’ of immigration and desire for restrictions"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/09/people-want-immigration-controls-blair-tells-starmer/
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,927
    Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Foxy said:

Phil said:

tlg86 said:

Because there are no other statistical errors one could make except the one made in the Sally Clarke case, obviously?

The Telegraph has also published an article today on the Letby trial which goes into a more detailed critique of the statistical evidence: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/09/lucy-letby-serial-killer-or-miscarriage-justice-victim/

non-paywall: https://archive.is/bZIdu
    Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Foxy said:

Phil said:

tlg86 said:

NB @Foxy this article also goes into more detail on the air embolism evidence, if you’re interested in commenting on that.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,774
    Phil said:

Sandpit said:

Phil said:

Foxy said:

Phil said:

tlg86 said:

Ultimately too few people in society understand maths, let alone statistics in complex cases. Take the classic Sally Clarke case. Two sudden infant deaths, which Roy Meadow (not a statistician) suggested was a 1 in 17 million chance. This is of course wrong, as it assumes that the two incidents are entirely independent, when they are not. But no-one from the defence challenged this effectively, and the jury bought the line and convicted.

I'd like to think that if I have been on the jury I might have disagreed, but it would be hard to argue in a room with 11 others who probably were not aware of the complications around the stats presented.

I have no idea if Letby is guilty, but I have seen some suggestions that the stats used against her are questionable (for instance saying she was on duty when all the babies died is ok, but they have stripped out many other baby deaths that don't fit the pattern). Selection of data is crucial when looking for trends - bias the selection and you conclusions are unsound.
    Economist tracker: Trump has a 75% of winning the election atm.

https://www.economist.com/interactive/us-2024-election/prediction-model/president
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,277

NEW THREAD

• Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 678
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

Off topic, has Euro 24 done away with the runners-up match? It's not listed on the BBC website and used to take place on the day before the final, as I recall?

Hasn't been around for the Euros for several tournaments, I think.
    When Wales reached semis in 2016, we did not have a playoff but finished in third place due to goal difference. They were the days...
This discussion has been closed.