Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Some more election stats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740

biggles said:

Again. BBC News at 10. Fucking Farage and Reform. Not a mention of Greens in intro who won 4 seats.

The big shift: The Liberal Democrats are now the New Shit.
    Oh I won’t have that! You LibDems have been shits for years!
    Yes ma'am. Long before I joined and when I was slagging them off. Has to be said though.

72 seats. +64. Is Fucking Sensational. We had a strategy to focus on core seats. Then the stretch, then the stretch stretch. Won most of them and kept going.

I confess. Busy + minimal sleep + alcohol goodness = confessional. You're not the Scottish Daily Mail, so ask me anything.
    OK. Were your votes concentrated in a few areas or evenly spread?
    Would Duguid have won if he had stood instead of Ross?
    Were all the SNP nasty to you or just a few headbangers?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,275

'kin hell! Watching the BBC News, and by their Reform coverage, I am assuming Reform won the election and Farage is PM. Well I never saw that coming.

Yep. We have four years of this now. Every fucking day, Farage on the Today programme; QT every thursday will be Farage or Anderson or Tice, specials on Reform and why they are breaking through, endless analysis on Newsnight as to whether Reform will break through like LePen and on and on and on.

• DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 656
    O/T - have any of the well (or not so well) travelled here been to Foulness?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

https://x.com/joebiden/status/1809310761933525304

Let me say this as clearly as I can:

I’m the sitting President of the United States.

I’m the nominee of the Democratic party.

I’m staying in the race.

Arrgh. 4 more years of Trump. We live in interesting times.

A priority for the new government is to push arms production so we can keep Ukraine going if the US drops the ball.
    You know what, Fuck Biden, and Fuck the Democrats

The former is a demented lying clown, and the second have enabled those lies and told more lies of their own, covering up the President's obvious senility with outright mendacity. It's a terrible and grievous conspiracy, easilly as villainous, stupid and immoral as Watergate (indeed far worse in its consequences)

So we get Trump and the Democrats will get eviscerated. It is what they deserve. The trouble is the rest of us don't need or deserve Trump, but this is what the Democrat party has wrought. It is ALL on them
    The time to get shot of Trump was the second impeachment trial. The GOP senators who did not get rid despite the obvious shoulder much of the blame.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,512
    Jonathan said:

I remember 2010. We said the Tories were in for one term. Fourteen years later they’re out.

Lesson for today’s Tories, Prepare for a long slog, there are no shortcuts. It’s unlikely to be one term. The first task is to not swing to the extremes and your comfort zone. The brutal reality is your friend.

You advised:

Liz Truss over Penny Mordaunt because of her Ministerial experience.

Sunak to limp on because choosing another leader so close to a GE could result in a poor election result.

Now it's sage advice not to be too right wing.

I'm not sure if your "advice" is intended to be malicious or is just very dense, but I know where I'd be filing it if I were part of what's left of the PCP.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,236
    edited July 5
    dixiedean said:

Am amazed by the number of posters who didn't predict this election well* but are super confident about the election in five years time.

*I didn't predict this one well.

I've realised the best way to predict the overall shares and seats is to go through each seat individually on their merits, and then (often) get a surprise when you see the overall result, a bottom-up approach you could say, rather than immediately predicting the overall result. The former approach is less likely to be affected by biases you might have.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740

'kin hell! Watching the BBC News, and by their Reform coverage, I am assuming Reform won the election and Farage is PM. Well I never saw that coming.

Yep. We have four years of this now. Every fucking day, Farage on the Today programme; QT every thursday will be Farage or Anderson or Tice, specials on Reform and why they are breaking through, endless analysis on Newsnight as to whether Reform will break through like LePen and on and on and on.

A justifiable reason not to pay the TV licence.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,303

GIN1138 said:

The whole country has become marginal?

There are very few super safe seats for any party now - inner city Manchester and Liverpool for Labour plus the totemic London seats, that's it. Harrow and Richmond Tories safest, LDs have a handful of super safe seats now everything else is up for grabs. Next election will see seats changing hands all over the shop even if 'nothing has changed'
    Lib Dems have 26 seats with majorities of over 10,000.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,594

biggles said:

Again. BBC News at 10. Fucking Farage and Reform. Not a mention of Greens in intro who won 4 seats.

Yes ma'am. Long before I joined and when I was slagging them off. Has to be said though.

72 seats. +64. Is Fucking Sensational. We had a strategy to focus on core seats. Then the stretch, then the stretch stretch. Won most of them and kept going.

I confess. Busy + minimal sleep + alcohol goodness = confessional. You're not the Scottish Daily Mail, so ask me anything.
    Heh. Seriously was sorry not to see you win. The politics we argue about is 10% of the job. We need human beings in the House for the rest of it where there is objectively a right answer, and we just have to feel our way towards it.

• Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 950

They got double the votes share of the Greens. And came second in 98 seats. They deserve double the coverage
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,453
    Interesting (well I thought so).

Labour, as of today, have had just two more Prime Ministers in the last hundred years as the Conservatives have had in the last eight years and two weeks.
    In case anyone missed it, this was the result in Chingford & Woodford Green.

Con (Iain Duncan Smith) 17,281
    Lab 12,524
    Ind (Faiza Shaheen) 12,445
    RefUK 3,653
    Grn 1,334
    LD 1,275

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2024/uk/constituencies/E14001167
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,625

biggles said:

OK. Were your votes concentrated in a few areas or evenly spread?
    Would Duguid have won if he had stood instead of Ross?
    Were all the SNP nasty to you or just a few headbangers?
    1. Seems evenly spread. Had a good response in (data) unknown places like Fochabers
    2. Yes
    3. SNP were digging for shit. So I believe they were offering up "scandal" about me which was not hence the lack of pick-up. SNP were *furious* that I was competing. They had to change their planned strategy. Ripped me off, tried to adapt to their position.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,343

Ed Davey is going to have to get back into his wetsuit to get attention, isn't he?

Jonathan said:

I remember 2010. We said the Tories were in for one term. Fourteen years later they’re out.

Lesson for today’s Tories, Prepare for a long slog, there are no shortcuts. It’s unlikely to be one term. The first task is to not swing to the extremes and your comfort zone. The brutal reality is your friend.

You advised:

Liz Truss over Penny Mordaunt because of her Ministerial experience.

Sunak to limp on because choosing another leader so close to a GE could result in a poor election result.

Now it's sage advice not to be too right wing.

I'm not sure if your "advice" is intended to be malicious or is just very dense, but I know where I'd be filing it if I were part of what's left of the PCP.
    Just because it ended badly doesn’t mean it couldn’t have been worse.

Truss’ ministerial experience was irrelevant. But she did offer direction, however ill conceived and hideously executed. Mourdant was obviously never a goer because she didn’t command sufficient authority to appeal to the Mail or control the right of the party. Swapping Sunak out would have caused as many problems as it solved. At best a roll of the dice.

Take it or leave it of course, but experience suggests it’s harder than you think and you’ve got a lot of homework to do to truly understand how you can lose seats like Horsham.

Leon said:

DavidL said:

I’m staying in the race.

A priority for the new government is to push arms production so we can keep Ukraine going if the US drops the ball.

The former is a demented lying clown, and the second have enabled those lies and told more lies of their own, covering up the President's obvious senility with outright mendacity. It's a terrible and grievous conspiracy, easilly as villainous, stupid and immoral as Watergate (indeed far worse in its consequences)

So we get Trump and the Democrats will get eviscerated. It is what they deserve. The trouble is the rest of us don't need or deserve Trump, but this is what the Democrat party has wrought. It is ALL on them
    The problem is partly that it seems the second set in your list - the Dem party - is not hard-faced enough to tell good old uncle Joe to do one because he is going to lose through being too fucking old.

We will all live to regret that decision.

Trump 2.0 is a dead cert I now think unless Dems grow a pair.

• LeonLeon Posts: 52,814
    These euros have been the worst football tournament of my life, I think

The World Cup in South Africa was pretty bad, but that was mainly coz of the frigging vuvuzelas

This is just shit football, match after match, from everyone

Robert Saunders
    @redhistorian
    Parties of the left or centre left have won more than 500 seats in this election. No previous parliament has come close to that in the democratic era.

Ian Dunt
    @IanDunt
    ·
    1h
    "But the real story of the night is Reform..."
    edited July 5

Leon said:

DavidL said:

I’m staying in the race.

The problem is partly that it seems the second set in your list - the Dem party - is not hard-faced enough to tell good old uncle Joe to do one because he is going to lose through being too fucking old.

We will all live to regret that decision.

Trump 2.0 is a dead cert I now think unless Dems grow a pair.

They are despicable cowards, and venal liars. And the media has been complicit in hiding Biden's obvious, shocking decline. He is incapable of being POTUS right NOW, let alone 2024-28

The outrageous thing is that they still have time to fix it, to yank him offstage, say sorry, and install a sane candidate

Yet they seem incapable. It is extremely symptomatic of an empire in late stage Decadence and Decline. Still powerful, but rotting at the top, badly
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,856
    Leon said:

The World Cup in South Africa was pretty bad, but that was mainly coz of the frigging vuvuzelas

I have to agree it’s been generally dire . Surely England even with their underwhelming play can finally win something.

• RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,625

Robert Saunders
    @redhistorian
    Parties of the left or centre left have won more than 500 seats in this election. No previous parliament has come close to that in the democratic era.

Ian Dunt
    @IanDunt
    ·
    1h

No. If you listen to Unite / Momentum / Owen Jones the real story is how Starmer failed to deliver the same vote as Jezhollah
    Andy_JS said:

Lab 12,524
    RefUK 3,653
    Grn 1,334
    LD 1,275

Pretty amazing result for independents this election.

Robert Saunders
    @redhistorian

Ian Dunt
    @IanDunt
    ·
    1h

No. If you listen to Unite / Momentum / Owen Jones the real story is how Starmer failed to deliver the same vote as Jezhollah
    Why can’t they get that to win an election you have to win more votes than your opponent. It’s not hard.

For every vote Corbyn won for Labour, he won one more for the Tories.

Also @Tweedledee just for completeness.

Amusingly Lloyds's bot told me this was probably a scam* (or words to that effect - it wasn't a possibility, it was a probability so far as it was concerned), but still let me go ahead. Without speaking to a human. Odd.

*Better not be - got the details from https://u24.gov.ua/
    Moves being made.

Andrew Desiderio
    @AndrewDesiderio
    Confirming
    @washingtonpost
    scoop: Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) is putting together an effort for Dems to discuss — in-person when they’re back in DC on Monday — Biden’s viability at the top of the ticket & whether they should ask him to step aside, per sources familiar with the effort.

Lots of confusion about what everyone wants at this point because they haven’t been together IRL since pre-debate. “We’ve been playing phone tag all week,” said one source familiar.
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

I have to agree it’s been generally dire . Surely England even with their underwhelming play can finally win something.

Bellingham's last second overhead goal has probably been the highest point of the entire tournament. A moment of brave and inspired skill from a truly world class player. Otherwise the tournament has been utterly bereft of these, to the extent it is bewildering. Are they all tired? Are the pitches shite? Has a clever but boring and defensive approach overtaken football?

It's an awful advert for the sport, maybe something needs to change
    Did anyone bet on the Tories winning Leicester East?

Con 14,526
    Lab 10,100
    LD 6,329
    Claudia Webbe 5,532
    Keith Vaz 3,681
    Ref 2,611
    Grn 2,143
    Ind 974
    Ind 703
    Ind 115

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2024/uk/constituencies/E14001326

Robert Saunders
    @redhistorian

Ian Dunt
    @IanDunt
    ·
    1h

Nobody is listening to them tonight.

Andy_JS said:

Vote share with 649/650 declared

Lab 33.7%
    Con 23.7%
    Ref 14.3%
    LD 12.2%
    Grn 6.8%

Lab 33.8% according to Sky.
    And if you add the Con and Reform numbers together they win. Hooray!

Oh wait, FPTP doesn't work like that. However PR can.
    And that is exactly why you aren't hearing anything about PR for at least the next 5 years...
    Well we didn't hear anything, after the Libs lost their AV referendum, from the Tories.

How would you feel about Prime Minister Robert Jenrick and Deputy PM Farage in a Con-Ref love-in?
    More how the dozens - hundreds? - of Labour MPs lost by implementing PR would feel about facilitating it...which is why PR ain't a runner.
    You are probably right, but you didn't answer my hypothetical question? Do you pound the mean streets of Totnes to return a Braverman/Farage ticket?

Your party has already missed a trick focusing on Labour and the LDs whilst informally cosying up to these scoundrels.
    edited July 5
    Jesus F Christ. Biden gabbles again

How can this continue?

Basically, every single time he opens his mouth now, he provides evidence that he has advanced dementia. He can barely talk coherently for more than a few seconds, even with a teleprompter. And we are MONTHS from the election, where he will seek a second term as President of the USA

https://x.com/libsoftiktok/status/1809326661029986741

How does the 25th work? Why can't they invoke it?

AFAICS, Biden is now actually WORSE than my 86-year-old Mum, bless her, and she is in special housing
    Leon said:

How can this continue?

Basically, every single time he opens his mouth now, he provides evidence that has advanced dementia. He can barely talk coherently for more than a few seconds, even with a teleprompter. And we are MONTHS from the election, where he will seek a second term as President of the USA

It doesn't even matter if it's true he's demented or not now. It's like Boeing - routine incidents are just going to be evidence of decline.
    edited July 5

I've just seen a great piece by veteran BBC reporter Alan Little on General Elections. A BBC News report streets ahead of those by public school hoorays and bimbos proper journalists like Little have been replaced with.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,109
    I just watched the Biden independence day non scripted speech and it's awful. They need to replace him asap. He's got dementia and it's not even subtle, he very clearly has dementia.

Leon said:

How can this continue?

Basically, every single time he opens his mouth now, he provides evidence that has advanced dementia. He can barely talk coherently for more than a few seconds, even with a teleprompter. And we are MONTHS from the election, where he will seek a second term as President of the USA

It doesn't even matter if it's true he's demented or not now. It's like Boeing - routine incidents are just going to be evidence of decline.
    There is no question. He has dementia. Dozens of people have now come forward - many of them Democrats or even aides to the POTUS, to confirm this - and to many different journalists

It is beyond debate. The president is unfit. He needs to quit ASAFP, and the sooner he does the better the chances for the Dems to find a decent replacement who has a shot at beating Trump

I don't understand it; surely they all realise this; the more they delay and obfuscate, the worse it gets
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    Nunu5 said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 12,524
    RefUK 3,653
    Grn 1,334
    LD 1,275

Pretty amazing result for independents this election.
    Did non-Islamic independents do well? Corbyn. Other than him?
    In
    Leon said:

Leon said:

How can this continue?

There is no question. He has dementia. Dozens of people have now come forward - many of them Democrats or even aides to the POTUS, to confirm this - and to many different journalists

It is beyond debate. The president is unfit. He needs to quit ASAFP, and the sooner he does the better the chances for the Dems to find a decent replacement who has a shot at beating Trump

I don't understand it; surely they all realise this; the more they delay and obfuscate, the worse it gets
    Surely it’s all about creating a moment for him to leave on his own terms rather than hounded out.
    edited July 5
    "UK’s first Chinese-born lawmaker as Labour win general election landslide

Former Financial Times journalist Yuan Yang campaigned to win the support of Hongkongers living in the UK, calling the Conservative government’s approach “not really enough” to protect their basic rights and safety.

In the new constituency of Earley and Woodley in Reading, Yang, who was a Europe-China correspondent at the Financial Times, claimed the seat with 18,209 votes, beating Conservative candidate Pauline Jorgensen, who bagged 17,361 votes.

With her parliamentary victory, Yang became the UK’s first ever Chinese-born lawmaker. Her family moved to the country when she was four following the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown in Beijing, according to publicly available information."

https://hongkongfp.com/2024/07/05/former-journalist-yuan-yang-becomes-uks-first-chinese-born-lawmaker-as-labour-win-general-election-landslide/
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,738
    edited July 5

Robert Saunders
    @redhistorian

Ian Dunt
    @IanDunt
    ·
    1h

There were lots of "real stories" last night in a very complicated election. By my count:

- the collapse of the Tories in vote share and even more in seats
    - the collapse of the SNP likewise
    - the huge increase in Reform's vote share from UKIP's in 2019 though netting them only handful of seats
    - the septupling of the LibDem seat total despite a tiny increase in their vote share
    - the incredible efficiency of Labour's vote, in contrast to under Corbyn.

I'm sure I've missed something.

Basically since the Scottish referendum a decade ago, this country has been incredibly unstable politically and politics has been particularly confused and turbulent. There were similar periods in the 1920s and 1970s, but group loyalties were much stabler and stronger. Whatever the reasons for that (an increasingly centrist political class and a more and more polarised electorate, the fall of traditional party loyalties, wokeness, stagnating living standards, Brexit, the pandemic, demography etc.) there's no sign of things calming down I don't think.
    Jonathan said:

In

Leon said:

Leon said:

How can this continue?

Surely it’s all about creating a moment for him to leave on his own terms rather than hounded out.
    Is it? He sounds increasingly determined to carry on, if anything - but then, he is demented. My demented mother would insist, if asked, that she's "just a bit forgetful, and getting older", she would never admit to dementia and would be insulted if asked. Yet she is now incapable of living without significant support, because she has dementia

Biden is in the same place. It's sad and lamentably common, an evil disease, but this tine it impacts everyone on the planet because 1. he's the most powerful man in the world and WTF happens if he decides to bomb Minsk, and 2. his staying in office pretty much guarantees Trump 2.0 (and Trump knows this)

I see no evidence of the Democrats cleverly waiting for the right moment, I see a party in outright panic, partly because a lot of them are complicit in covering up Biden's senility until recently, so they are scared of the blowback, maybe even criminal charges

They need someone with great respect and authority to bravely speak out, backed up by major donors. Obama plus Silicon Valley, perhaps. This shit has to end, and soon
    nico679 said:

The Dems seem to be caught in a catch 22 . If loads come out and ask him to stand down and he refuses then the GOP can say why should Americans vote for him when your own party don’t think he’s up to it . So he’s even more damaged .

I suspect behind the scenes there’s real anger amongst many previous Biden supporters who think he could facilitate an absolute catastrophe.

Yup
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,113
    Leon said:

How can this continue?

Basically, every single time he opens his mouth now, he provides evidence that he has advanced dementia. He can barely talk coherently for more than a few seconds, even with a teleprompter. And we are MONTHS from the election, where he will seek a second term as President of the USA

AFAICS, Biden is now actually WORSE than my 86-year-old Mum, bless her, and she is in special housing

The problem is that people with dementia often don't realise the extent of their mental decline... because dementia. They can get incredibly angry that people are trying to take away their agency. And it fuels paranoia.

The Democrats do need to cauterize this wound, and sooner rather than later. On the positive side, I think cauterization is now inevitable: the only really question is how much they damage themselves between now and then.
    "Biden says he will beat Trump 'again in 2020'"

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1809314593447252289
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

How can this continue?

The problem is that people with dementia often don't realise the extent of their mental decline... because dementia. They can get incredibly angry that people are trying to take away their agency. And it fuels paranoia.

The Democrats do need to cauterize this wound, and sooner rather than later. On the positive side, I think cauterization is now inevitable: the only really question is how much they damage themselves between now and then.
    Precisely right
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

How can this continue?

On the bright side, in betting terms it is excellent for your Kamala tip as it means (if they have the courage) him leaving this term.

I might even buy you stabilisers for your new bike as a thank you :smile:
    It's being reported that 264 women have been elected to the Commons which is 41% of the total.
    MaxPB said:

I just watched the Biden independence day non scripted speech and it's awful. They need to replace him asap. He's got dementia and it's not even subtle, he very clearly has dementia.

If you say that people ask 'are you a doctor".
    I mean no, I'm not, but I'm not but I'm also not a fucking moron (most of the time).
    "Key Progressive Caucus members set to call for Biden to withdraw from presidential race Monday "- The Nation
    Andy_JS said:

It's being reported that 264 women have been elected to the Commons which is 41% of the total.

Too high!
    edited July 5

biggles said:

How close were the final results to your canvas returns etc?

Also did I read between the lines right you'd backed yourself and then laid it off when the betting scandal stuff started happening?

Are you going to go back to being "anonymous"?

(Feel free to DM the answers, I'm nosy but not a snitch ;) )
    Nunu5 said:

MaxPB said:

If you say that people ask 'are you a doctor".
    I mean no, I'm not, but I'm not but I'm also not a fucking moron (most of the time).
    "Key Progressive Caucus members set to call for Biden to withdraw from presidential race Monday "- The Nation

Yes exactly. It’s like saying “look, that man has lost a leg”.

“Why, how can you be sure, are you a trained anatomist??”

“No. I can just see that he’s lost a leg. Because one of his legs is missing.”

Ditto Biden’s dementia
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,492
    Biden is incapable of stringing two coherent sentences together.

https://x.com/rncresearch/status/1809356785611927747

OMFG
    Leon said:

OMFG
    What's wrong with you all?

Biden absolutely nailed his phonecall to congratulate M. Macron for his overwhelming UK General Election victory over Herr Sholtz.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,492

Leon said:

OMFG
    What's wrong with you all?

Biden absolutely nailed his phonecall to congratulate M. Macron for his overwhelming UK General Election victory over Herr Sholtz.
    That joke reminds me that it was months ago that he kept on talking about meeting Helmut Kohl and Francois Mitterrand at the G7 summit.

https://x.com/nocomment/status/1754915045941588239
    edited July 6
    When the SNP candidate in Inverness says he won't be able to make the count, it sort of implies he probably hasn't won, (despite defending a majority of 12,865 votes).

https://www.libdemvoice.org/there-may-be-more-good-news-to-come-75506.html

"There may be more good news to come….

This post comes with heavy caveats. Nothing is ever official until it is properly declared.

However, the BBC is reporting this about that the SNP have conceded defeat ahead of tomorrow’s recount in the Inverness, Skye and Ross West seat where Angus Macdonald is our candidate. This is the latest incarnation of the seat held between 1983 and 2015 by Charles Kennedy and has enormous emotional resonance for the party.

It seems likely the constituency will go to the Liberal Democrats – although the result is not expected to be officially announced until after a second recount which will begin at 10:30 on Saturday.

SNP candidate Drew Hendry said he would be unable to attend the recount due to an “unmovable prior commitment”.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,307
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

I’m staying in the race.

The time to get shot of Trump was the second impeachment trial. The GOP senators who did not get rid despite the obvious shoulder much of the blame.
    McConnell said plainly that he wouldn't vote to impeach because it was "the job of criminal prosecutors to deal with it".
    https://www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1258065

We've just seen how the Supreme Court dealt with that.
    Kamala Harris needs to take over as soon as possible, and she can beat Trump in the election imo.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,307
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

In

Leon said:

Leon said:

How can this continue?

Is it? He sounds increasingly determined to carry on, if anything - but then, he is demented. My demented mother would insist, if asked, that she's "just a bit forgetful, and getting older", she would never admit to dementia and would be insulted if asked. Yet she is now incapable of living without significant support, because she has dementia

Biden is in the same place. It's sad and lamentably common, an evil disease, but this tine it impacts everyone on the planet because 1. he's the most powerful man in the world and WTF happens if he decides to bomb Minsk, and 2. his staying in office pretty much guarantees Trump 2.0 (and Trump knows this)

I see no evidence of the Democrats cleverly waiting for the right moment, I see a party in outright panic, partly because a lot of them are complicit in covering up Biden's senility until recently, so they are scared of the blowback, maybe even criminal charges

They need someone with great respect and authority to bravely speak out, backed up by major donors. Obama plus Silicon Valley, perhaps. This shit has to end, and soon
    Obama (and similarly Hillary Clinton) saying anything would probably be actively counterproductive in that respect given their past history over earlier nominations. (And NYT public campaign is blatantly now fuelling his determination to cling on.)

But it's been very clear since the debate that he can't do another term.
    edited July 6
    Declaration of result at South Basildon & East Thurrock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XmdgIcnzc

Declaration: Maidenhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7E5e2x3EOk
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,539
    Andy_JS said:

Congrats to RochdalePioneers on the result in ANME, one of the most challenging seats in the country for the LDs

Hopefully he’s selected for an easier seat next time.
    Andy_JS said:

When the SNP candidate in Inverness says he won't be able to make the count, it sort of implies he probably hasn't won, (despite defending a majority of 12,865 votes).

https://www.libdemvoice.org/there-may-be-more-good-news-to-come-75506.html

"There may be more good news to come….

This post comes with heavy caveats. Nothing is ever official until it is properly declared.

However, the BBC is reporting this about that the SNP have conceded defeat ahead of tomorrow’s recount in the Inverness, Skye and Ross West seat where Angus Macdonald is our candidate. This is the latest incarnation of the seat held between 1983 and 2015 by Charles Kennedy and has enormous emotional resonance for the party.

It seems likely the constituency will go to the Liberal Democrats – although the result is not expected to be officially announced until after a second recount which will begin at 10:30 on Saturday.

SNP candidate Drew Hendry said he would be unable to attend the recount due to an “unmovable prior commitment”.

That would be an astonishing LD gain, if true.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    At least what was Sunak Pharmacy is still in a true-blue Tory seat.

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,264
    Okay, so my first (light) criticism of the new government.

Reeves said: "“There’s not a huge amount of money there,” Ms Reeves told the BBC. “I know the scale of the challenge I inherit.”

I agree that she has a challenge. But there is a *huge* amount of money in the economy, and a ginormous tax take. There may not be enough money to do what she wants, but that's a different matter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cldyeykzp33o
    DM_Andy said:

I must've driven and walked past that pharmacy many times around fifteen years ago. It never really registered.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 679
    Pro_Rata said:

In other random news, Milan Malpensa to be renamed Silvio Berlusconi airport.

Or as the taxi drivers will call it...Bunga Bunga
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,498
    viewcode said:

71 LD MPs

Dafuq???

(Scratches head in amazement)

72 incoming
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,725
    edited July 6
    Foxy said:

I have spoken to the BMA junior doctors committee, and can announce that talks to end their industrial action will begin next week.

We promised to get negotiations up and running and that is what we are doing.

My statement-

https://x.com/wesstreeting/status/1809303687367672162?t=4nz2ZTaKREFmKByjjlFeMQ&s=19

That's an important one.

A specific challenge for Starmer (ie Streeting) is can he prevent any extra resources that they can find going on paying extra to staff for doing no more, rather than building up services.

That will be repeated across the piece.

The Junior Docs have been using fiddled figures in their ~35% (?) claims throughout eg aiui by using RPI not CPI for inflation, and they need to recognise at least that.

Where will this go?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,801
    edited July 6

Reeves said: "“There’s not a huge amount of money there,” Ms Reeves told the BBC. “I know the scale of the challenge I inherit.”

I agree that she has a challenge. But there is a *huge* amount of money in the economy, and a ginormous tax take. There may not be enough money to do what she wants, but that's a different matter.

And the tax take isn't particularly large compared with other countries. If you popped it up to French levels you'd have room for HS2, 2 child limit, Green targets and more.
    Listening to the C4 "what ahppens next" extended coverage, Sue Gray as Chief of Staff may be problematic.

Especially her habit of not writing anything down.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127

DM_Andy said:

I must've driven and walked past that pharmacy many times around fifteen years ago. It never really registered.
    As a child it was on the way to the Sports Centre which was a regular day out in the summer holidays. Good memories of that little parade of shops and getting a Cornetto from the Sperrings by the bus stop.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,502
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: only practice but, as expected, McLaren looking decent.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

In

Leon said:

Leon said:

How can this continue?

Obama (and similarly Hillary Clinton) saying anything would probably be actively counterproductive in that respect given their past history over earlier nominations. (And NYT public campaign is blatantly now fuelling his determination to cling on.)

BBC:
    Only the 'Lord Almighty' could convince me to quit - Biden
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cl5y8n5d09qo
    Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

In

Leon said:

Leon said:

How can this continue?

BBC:
    The Pope?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,502
    I see Ed Miliband is Energy Secretary again. I'd criticise him for closing down power stations and not building enough capacity last time, but it seems every party is rubbish at energy.
    edited July 6
    Heh.

My £30 bonus from BET365 has now been released. That was to be the fun money had I read the terms correctly- what should I spend it on? I have 30 days.

Overall I am about £300-400 up on the Election, which is fine for me.

The nice wins were Tory seat numbers and Labour votes less than 2017.

I'll be using it to try and create a small rotating fund to allow people impacted by them to threaten legal action on unlawful anti-wheelchair barriers knowing that their several hundred £ court fee is covered if necessary.

A lot of people whinge and go no further because they are scared by Court Costs / lack of legal aid and threatening lawyers' letters from Council legal departments, whilst Councils tend to back down in the game of legal poker at letter-before-action stage.
    Anyway - good morning everyone, and thanks in advance for the next header.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Eabhal said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

In

Leon said:

Leon said:

How can this continue?

BBC:
    The Pope?
    It has to be God in person. Even the Archangel Gabriel wouldn't do.
    bobbob said:

My view - Starmer will run a very tedious boring centre-right government, raising a few taxes (because of the debt) but not doing much that makes anyone happy and Starmer is a wet fish

It won’t be popular and with no “f the tories” they lose a few percent on both left and the right

Leading to an even more chaotic 2029 election where weird stuff happens all over the place as multi way contests become the norm

Maybe I’m wrong and this Lab govt will surprise and be more popular than expected but I don’t see it

I’m hopeful they’ll be a fairly decent government, but the risk is that they could be like the LibDems in coalition, who did a tremendous amount of good work behind the scenes tinkering with complicated stuff to make it slightly better; the sort of job both they and Starmer enjoy. But come the election not much of it will be worth many votes.

There’s no doubt the coalition was a well-run government, and stories abound within the party of how LibDem juniors calmed their flaky and impetuous Tory counterparts and simply focused on managing well and getting small sensible stuff done while squashing potential blunders and embarrassments.

There was no electoral advantage in a well-run government for the junior coalition partner - even now the transition from sensible stability to chaotic psychodrama is rightly blamed on thr Tories but rarely attributed to the absence of the stabilising LibDems.

The advantage Starmer has is that the kudos for things being managed better will fall into his lap. But he will need people in his team with imagination and bigger dreams, to persuade him to go for a few big reforming wins, rather than just tinker.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,558
    The dawn awakens.. 40pc cgt on the value of your house increase when you sell it. Middle England will go nuts..

Be careful for what you voted for.....
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,720
    Nunu5 said:

They got double the votes share of the Greens. And came second in 98 seats. They deserve double the coverage
    Yes, it seems an odd criticism to me.

And if Farage is so obviously stupid, fascistic, and evil as his critics believe, well it should do no harm to publicise this.
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Vote share with 649/650 declared

Lab 33.7%
    Con 23.7%
    Ref 14.3%
    LD 12.2%
    Grn 6.8%

Lowest voteshare for an incoming elected majority government since 1832, even lower than the 34.4% Kinnock's Labour got in 1992 when it was defeated by Major's Tories. Starmer knows he got in because Sunak's government was unpopular, this was no 1997 and there was no Blair like love for him
    He doesn’t want Blairite love, and that’s a good thing. He finds being complimented embarrassing.

Look where having a PM who just wanted to be loved and admired got us?

Starmer wants to spend five years making a difference and will settle at the end of it for voters saying “you did a decent job there, mate”.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,720
    Fishing said:

Robert Saunders
    @redhistorian

Ian Dunt
    @IanDunt
    ·
    1h

There were lots of "real stories" last night in a very complicated election. By my count:

- the collapse of the Tories in vote share and even more in seats
    - the collapse of the SNP likewise
    - the huge increase in Reform's vote share from UKIP's in 2019 though netting them only handful of seats
    - the septupling of the LibDem seat total despite a tiny increase in their vote share
    - the incredible efficiency of Labour's vote, in contrast to under Corbyn.

I'm sure I've missed something.

Basically since the Scottish referendum a decade ago, this country has been incredibly unstable politically and politics has been particularly confused and turbulent. There were similar periods in the 1920s and 1970s, but group loyalties were much stabler and stronger. Whatever the reasons for that (an increasingly centrist political class and a more and more polarised electorate, the fall of traditional party loyalties, wokeness, stagnating living standards, Brexit, the pandemic, demography etc.) there's no sign of things calming down I don't think.
    The twenties are a comparable time, when traditional party loyalties were breaking down, and new ones being created.

The dawn awakens.. 40pc cgt on the value of your house increase when you sell it. Middle England will go nuts..

Although I presume the Labour Party plans to win the next election, so you never know
    FF43 said:

SMukesh said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

South Basildon & East Thurrock (result 649/650) -> RefUK gain from Con

RefUK 12,178
    Lab 12,080
    Con 10,159
    Ind 1,928
    Grn 1,718
    LD 1,071
    Ind 275
    SDP 140

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2024/uk/constituencies/E14001480

Close 3 way there between Tories, Reform and Labour, pity about Stephen Metcalfe who was a good MP and a former EDFC councillor and his mother a Buckhurst Hill county councillor
    Just think, if the Tories had taken the gloves off and attacked Reform, instead of pretending they were fellow travellers, how many more seats would they have won?
    Absolutely. Anyone with the political brain of a bird would have realised that. Except the recently ex-PM it seems. They even gave him opportunity to fight back with Farage attacking his background.
    You do have to ask: what the FUCK were they thinking?
    Well indeed. Exactly my point. Of course that analytical political genius known as @Leon would like the Tories to cosy up to them and doesn't agree. The Tories need to hit them hard, but they need an articulate leader who has the balls to do it. Not sure who that would be.
    Rishi shortly resigns as an MP.

Penny Mordaunt gets the call for the by-election. Which she wins comfortably. And then the Party leadership.

You heard it here first.
    Why do you expect Sunak to stand down? He's young, he wasn't PM for that long, he should stick around. I don't get the obsession with Mordaunt. She stood for the leadership before and made little impression.
    "made little impression"? She was a couple of MPs changing their mind from going to the members with Rishi.

How many of those 113 MPs voting for Truss would now hop in the Tardis to change their vote? In treble figures is my estimate.
    When my son was living in Fratton (Portsmouth South- not North) he knew people who knew Mordaunt and I met her in Ye Olde Spotted Dogge inn, she seemed very clubable but her reputation was for laziness and being something of a carpetbagger. Her laziness was amply demonstrated by her very poor "fight, fight, fight" speech at last year's conference Tugenhadt ticks lots of boxes.
    Clubbable and lazy are OK attributes for someone keeping the leadership seat warm in a suddenly irrelevant party. The key requirement is not to do any more damage while things work themselves out.
    In the short term. The medium term objective is to be sufficiently competent and boring that in five years’ time voters are able to look at the Tories and at least imagine that they might be able to run the country again, while being sufficiently interesting that they aren’t forgotten altogether. That’s a tough call, and as other have said, likely needs more than one term. Provided Starmer’s lot don’t implode, all he has to do to win next time is remind people what we’ve just been through.
    edited July 6

I've made more from the value of my flat increasing than I have managed to save from my employment over the last few years. I think it's only fair that I pay some tax on that tbh. A token 5% would be a reasonable start.

And you could argue that doing so would rather some heat out of city centres and make towns and suburbs relatively more attractive. Spread the demand around; your house is for living in, not wealth accumulation.
    Eabhal said:

And the tax take isn't particularly large compared with other countries. If you popped it up to French levels you'd have room for HS2, 2 child limit, Green targets and more.
    Then it might have bene good if Labour had campaigned with: "We're going to put the tax take up towards French levels."

But I stand by my original point: there *is* a huge amount of money in the economy, and in the government's tax take.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,899

AlsoLei said:

eek said:

MattW said:

Nunu5 said:

Labour are going to tax the shit out of savers aren't they?

Que? What have they said?
    I'd expect things as early as tomorrow, or perhaps Monday. And it will be from the time it is announced. I'd suggest sorting out tax cliff edges would be good to be done simultaneously.

When El Gordo made the BoE independent, it was on the Monday.
    Um - it's already been said that the Budget is will be in September / October because thats the time frame the OBR requires. But nice to see you scaremongering already.
    Such a weird stream of bitter doomcasting on here tonight.

There was no entry on the BBC News live feed at 5.59. It appears that Boulay is simply lying.
    It read as obvious sarcasm/joke to me.

Obviously even if Reeves was going to do that, she wouldn't phrase it so bluntly.
    If the Tory rampers are going to make random shit up the site is much diminished. It's one thing speculating but couching it as reality is bollocks.
    Only retards would have believed it and if they were so thick they should not be allowed on a computer

Dumbosaurus’s UK election related bets:

(I think this is comprehensive)

Winners:

• Tewkesbury 7/1 – won – entirely down to @Peter_the_Punter
    • Starmer to get less votes than Corbyn – 8/1 – won – entirely down to @Quincel
    • Election July-September: 15 and 30 on Betfair.
    • Long 402 on the Labour seat spreads. Bottom pickers get smelly fingers but I think I was seat perfect there in terms of where the offer went. Just a shame it was not to hit MRP levels.
    • Short 16.7 on Reform Vote Share – entered during election night. Far too early. And I should have topped it up when it went to the bids I wanted to wait for. It’ll win though anyway.
    • Backed various prices between 1.2 and 1.27 for quite serious cash during election night on Cons to get greater vote share than Reform when this was essentially statistically certain.
    • Croydon South Cons Win at prices above 4.2 – backed this based on not a tip as such, but suspicious posts on here. I did lay some of it off at 3 after the declaration from the looks of it, lol
    • Backed 0 Tory MPs to defect to Reform at 2.02 in early June. Still happy with that in hindsight.

Losers:
    • Sold 58 on LD seats, but later on changed mind and bought 59 to exit trade. I think this was reasonable in the circumstances.
    • Laid Corbyn at 1.49-1.55 in late May/early June on theory he should have been over evens. That was correct analysis. But I never backed him back even though he did indeed go back well over evens. I’m fine with the lay, am not sure if I did right thing not getting out of it yet. Need to think more.
    • Backed Rishi to keep seat at 1.4/1.41. Then chickened out about 1.5 for reasons I can’t remember. Absolutely terrible handing of this by me.
    • Backing 0 Reform seats at 10 before election. Almost managed to salvage this by later on backing 3-4 during election, and would have been able to easily green up. But didn’t.
    • Ed Davey to jump out of a plane – 50/1 (for charity) with @Tweedledee . While I lost I think he’ll agree that he got lucky, in that he’d agreed to lay about 5 different things at 50/1 one of which was bungee jumping…
    Unknown but I’m gonna push it yet again:

Backed “Year Rishi Sunak replaced as Conservative Leader” at 2025 or later at 40 and trying to get more on at 50. This is not one to put your life savings on. But there are SO MANY ways this can win. If he takes as long as Michael Howard did in differeing circumstances in 2005 for example, you're quids in. It isn't a 2.5%/2% chance.

Misc:

Various trades during election night that are too numerous to bother listing, with average profitability of around 5%....
    I repeatedly said on here that LD seats would beat 1997 (46). There were several including rcs1000 who were very bearish on LD seats. Not me.
    You did. And you were right. But it didn't fit with the polling evidence I was seeing (until much later in the game anyway - which is why I got out of the short).

That's betting and I hope you made out like a bandit. And it also means I'll listen closer to you next time ;)
    The liberals and now LibDems need the Tories to be unpopular to do well; that’s been the case for decades. If the Tory vote recovers, they’re in deep trouble.

Strategically, they need to ignore the government and spend the next five years needling the Tories at every opportunity, throwing salt at their wounds and demonstrating how they’re a more credible government in waiting than the Tories could ever be. The Tories need tk be kicked regularly, even though they are down.

It will be interesting to see what the media does about ‘many votes-few seats’ Reform, but for the LibDems they will at least see a return to proper third party status, with regular prominence in parliament, tons of media opportunities nationally and locally, and someone invited on QT and AQ pretty much every week. Plus all the extra Short money to fund their stretched back office; the party gets an extra £21k per year per MP, I think?
    Andy_JS said:

Lab 12,524
    RefUK 3,653
    Grn 1,334
    LD 1,275

There's a 20 minute interview with IDS on the Daily T (Telegraph) podcast last night.

https://youtu.be/-yRF4DDEozY?t=1720

What I find interesting is that he still maintains he won it on those numbers because of his service in the constituency, and keeping on working during the campaign, and a couple of other bits.

And that the Labour vote being split down the middle 12,000 and 12,000 had little to do with it, when his majority went from 1k to 5k.

An interesting level of delusion on the Tory Right.

• MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 6

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:
    Fascinating that's his first priority.
    If Starmer doesn't get illegal migration under control Farage will probably be PM within 5 years. He also needs to get legal migration under control to some extent.
    Surely if he makes the country terrible people won't want to come, so the worse he does the better his election prospects?
    People have been saying how awful the country is for ages, yet they still keep coming.
    They won't all the time there is free housing, health and benefits on offer.

My late grandmother was in a south London "jobcentre" in the 1950s, queuing to sort out her NI when a young West Indian chap came in and asked everyone incredulously "Is this where you get money for nothing? He could barely believe it himself.

It was a straw in the wind.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,331

That old scare story again - there is no way anyone is going to do anything about CGT on your primary property, that would be a “brave” decision
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,899
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

LOL
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252

Regarding Tommy Tugend, he gives me the overwhelming impression of being utterly bought by China. It's only an impression, but his recent public thoughts about their UK spying programme - "It's such a bloody nuisance, I wish they'd stop" - like it's some embarrassing foible of an otherwise lovable uncle, rather than a long term plan to undermine the British economy and state, was fairly chilling.

I don't think that is entirely fair. It is the words of someone who has lived a gilded life and never had to worry about being plunged into darkness on a freezing winters day because there isn't enough money to feed the meter.

Last thing we need right now is a dripping wet who puts idealistic notions of decency above the welfare of the nations people.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,558
    rcs1000 said:

Although I presume the Labour Party plans to win the next election, so you never know
    "Tax them till their pips squeak" ring any bells?
This discussion has been closed.