Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It's a tie - politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,438
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

I took part in this YouGov poll, so it has a good representative sample of ordinary voters.

Good. Most polls seriously under-represent the cravat & crocs wearing demographic.
    I have never worn crocs in my life.

Do you know the truly scary moment when I was in hospital and the doctor told me I needed emergency surgery?

The doctor who told me was wearing crocs.
    And you trusted him with your life? Was he Foxy?
    It wasn't Foxy.
    Don't they all wear crocs or similar in the surgery type areas? Hygiene thing?

Or have I imagined this for some weird reason?
    We are banned from Crocs, though surgical clogs are similar.

Something to do with the holes and infection risk or so I am told.
    If you perform surgery on me I’d prefer it if you used your hands rather than your feet if that’s ok?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,612

I am going to regret telling you this all but...

My first ever date was a picnic and the chat up line I used was picnic related.

I like the look of your lunchbox?

No, that's far too subtle for me.

The line was

Me: Do you know the difference between a prawn cocktail sandwich and a [certain sex act]?

Her: No

Me: Cool, do you fancy going on a picnic with me?

Her: Oh you absolute fucking dickhead.
    I think we need clarification. Your original post implied you had actually been on the picnic date whereas later information seems to indicate you asked the potential date and they said "dickhead". :smiley:

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,438

The line was

Me: Do you know the difference between a prawn cocktail sandwich and a [certain sex act]?

I think we need clarification. Your original post implied you had actually been on the picnic date whereas later information seems to indicate you asked the potential date and they said "dickhead". :smiley:

It could be both?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,501
    eek said:

Newsnight are using the Game of Thrones theme tune.

And a set of none entities being interviewed...

Newsnight needs taking out the back and putting down. No big beasts feel the need to go on Newsnight these days, its years since it was THE show that government and opposition felt they had to be interviewed on about the topics of the day.
  • Options
    The whole betting-gate stuff. The thing that kicked it off was £100 bet. Now we are into multiple £1000 bets. Its a bit like expenses scandal was Mr Jacqui Smith renting a naughty movie....when people were sticking £10k's on expenses that didn't exist.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,336

Scott_xP said:

@LOS_Fisher

NEW: Met police confirms that it's taking over a small number of investigations into election-related bets from the Gambling Commission

Move could pave the way for political figures, as well as police officers, to face charges of misconduct in public office

Can the MET investigate the MET officers?
    Wayne Couzens? So I would assume so.
  • Options
    GrandcanyonGrandcanyon Posts: 105
    Portillo backs Farage on Russia.

massive intervention in Farage Ukraine Dispute this evening on GB News. Michael Portillo who was Defence Minister at relevant time and a University Professor who is an Authority on the subject both agreed the attacks on Farage were willful and disreputable and had intent to smear. Both agreed his comments were a fair summing up of a reasonable view of the situation.

Obviously views varied and that if you went back to Gorbachev and the breakup of the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact the West ignored Gobachev’s wishes on NATO expansion and the need for a security pact between Russia and the West.

They both also recognized critical time we are living through, and Farage alone,amongst the leaders, had been the one who has brought up and was prepared to discuss the subject of Ukraine, the war and it’s possible implications. Both felt it was a discussion the country needs, especially in a General Election.

https://x.com/DavidBlakeman13/status/1806060145337880893
  • Options
    Campaign is now all over. Glastonbury until Sunday, then footy...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,336

The whole betting-gate stuff. The thing that kicked it off was £100 bet. Now we are into multiple £1000 bets. Its a bit like expenses scandal was Mr Jacqui Smith renting a naughty movie....when people were sticking £10k's on expenses that didn't exist.

That was an exclusively New Labour scandal, this one is traversing both parties, although as I don't believe Philip Davies has done anything wrong it is not quite as easy as it was yesterday to hang the Labour guy.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,447
    edited June 26
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

I took part in this YouGov poll, so it has a good representative sample of ordinary voters.

Good. Most polls seriously under-represent the cravat & crocs wearing demographic.

Do you know the truly scary moment when I was in hospital and the doctor told me I needed emergency surgery?

It wasn't Foxy.

If you manage to infect a wound from your shoes you'd really be putting your foot in it.
  • Options

That was an exclusively New Labour scandal, this one is traversing both parties, although as I don't believe Philip Davies has done anything wrong it is not quite as easy as it was yesterday to hang the Labour guy.
    MP expenses was all parties surely?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,383
    HYUFD said:

The Sun headline very positive for Rishi 'RISHI'S RIGHT HOOK General Election 2024 updates -Rishi skewers Keir on immigration, taxes & women’s rights in fiery last debate'
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28286594/general-election-2024-nigel-farage-rishi-sunak-keir-starmer/

If only anyone cared what the Sun thought anymore....
  • Options

massive intervention in Farage Ukraine Dispute this evening on GB News. Michael Portillo who was Defence Minister at relevant time and a University Professor who is an Authority on the subject both agreed the attacks on Farage were willful and disreputable and had intent to smear. Both agreed his comments were a fair summing up of a reasonable view of the situation.

Obviously views varied and that if you went back to Gorbachev and the breakup of the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact the West ignored Gobachev’s wishes on NATO expansion and the need for a security pact between Russia and the West.

They both also recognized critical time we are living through, and Farage alone,amongst the leaders, had been the one who has brought up and was prepared to discuss the subject of Ukraine, the war and it’s possible implications. Both felt it was a discussion the country needs, especially in a General Election.

You missed off Blakeman's final sentence:

Join the Surge: Vote Reform to Win
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,264

The line was

She went on the date with me.

She just hated that she actually thought I was genuinely asking her a question about sandwiches.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    A week to go, still low on celeb endorsements, minimal letter writing campaigns and newspapers not announced their backing yet.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,980

A week to go, still low on celeb endorsements, minimal letter writing campaigns and newspapers not announced their backing yet.

Fantastic stuff, let's hope that continues.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    kle4 said:

Fantastic stuff, let's hope that continues.
    Does make a change. The biggest "endorsements" we have had were the two billionaires, but they were hardly helpful...i am not backing Tories anymore, i will vote Labour, but actually i quite like Reform policies....quick get then off the stage
  • Options

Foxy said:

Farooq said:

It wasn't Foxy.

If you manage to infect a wound from your shoes you'd really be putting your foot in it.
    If you need surgical clogs Foxy, I can set up a company tonight and supply them if that helps?
  • Options

eek said:

Newsnight needs taking out the back and putting down. No big beasts feel the need to go on Newsnight these days, its years since it was THE show that government and opposition felt they had to be interviewed on about the topics of the day.
    Eh? Wes Streeting is on it.

He's one of the biggest beasts in the Cabinet come next Friday. Gotta be 4th or 5th in the New New Labour hierarchy.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,250
    edited June 26

Foxy said:

Farooq said:

It wasn't Foxy.

I think it is because the Croc holes make them harder to clean, so can contaminate workplaces (not convinced by this as socks are not checked).

Also surgical clogs are closed toed so that "spillages" can be wiped off rather than go on the skin of the member of staff.

I don't make the rules! That's matrons job, and I do what she says.
  • Options
    edited June 26

eek said:

Eh? Wes Streeting is on it.

He's one of the biggest beasts in the Cabinet come next Friday. Gotta be 4th or 5th in the New New Labour hierarchy.

I meant in general. We are currently middle of GE campaign, so if not now, its never. They are down to 300k viewership on a normal night now.
  • Options
    SteveSSteveS Posts: 113
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

It wasn't Foxy.

I think it’s holes and bodily fluids…. Which is fair enough.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Farooq said:

It wasn't Foxy.

If you need surgical clogs Foxy, I can set up a company tonight and supply them if that helps?
    Sorry, someone got their first via the VIP lane.
  • Options
    Yow Starmer burned Rishi
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Farooq said:

It wasn't Foxy.

I think it is because the Croc holes make them harder to clean, so can contaminate workplaces (not convinced by this as socks are not checked).

Also surgical clogs are closed toed so that "spillages" can be wiped off rather than go on the skin of the member of staff.

I don't make the rules! That's matrons job, and I so what she says.
    Very wise! I was joking ofc.
  • Options
    Wes Streeting on Lab manifesto costings:

"A promise we can keep, and a promise you can afford."

I have not heard this soundbite before. Is it new?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,141
    eek said:

The only reasonable view that you can take about the Ukraine is that you have to stop Putin from taking Ukraine because he will continue into Poland or elsewhere..... A line has to be drawn somewhere and at the moment the only thing we are being asked for is weapons and money...
    Still, it's nice to be reminded of Portillo just before the election when we might be treated to a lot of other 'Portillo Moments'.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Farooq said:

It wasn't Foxy.

Tsk @rottenborough's going to have a right old mone about that.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    Seems Starmer's performance this evening lost JK Rowling endorsement...I am sure he is devastated.

"Old habits die hard. I've been Labour all my life. I wanted a clear statement from Starmer because I really want an end to this long stretch of Tory insanity, but here I am, voting independent for the first time in my life."
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Farooq said:

It wasn't Foxy.

Tsk @rottenborough's going to have a right old mone about that.
    The contract debate is between the haves and the have yachts.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    It is interesting how Ukraine has really dropped from media interest. North Korea sending troops to fight for Russia is as far as I can see nowhere to be seen on BBC News front page.

Instead crucial stories like ChatGPT can write undergrad psychology essays are there. It might say something more about psychology as a degree than quality of AI....
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,447

Seems Starmer's performance this evening lost JK Rowling endorsement...I am sure he is devastated.

"Old habits die hard. I've been Labour all my life. I wanted a clear statement from Starmer because I really want an end to this long stretch of Tory insanity, but here I am, voting independent for the first time in my life."

Commie Rowling can fuck off.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,939
    I see the conservatives on the Supreme Court just ruled it's OK to bribe politicians, so long as you don't pay them in advance.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/todays-ruling-in-snyder-v-united-states/amp/
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,081
    Farooq said:

I’ll put you down as a maybe.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,120
    I’m voting Tory. The idea of CR leaving the country is too much to bear. I hope more will join me and he will reconsider
  • Options

Farooq said:

I'm surprised more people aren't of the same mind. She endorsed the Communist Party. It's just as bad as endorsing fascists.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,081
    DougSeal said:

I’m voting Tory. The idea of CR leaving the country is too much to bear. I hope more will join me and he will reconsider

Charles Rex is leaving the country? End times.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,120

DougSeal said:

Charles Rex is leaving the country? End times.
    No. Cliff Richard.
  • Options
    Jim_the_LurkerJim_the_Lurker Posts: 119
    edited June 26

He said it a lot. So if it isn’t an agreed soundbite, then Streeting is keen on it and doubling down.

It feels reminiscent of a provincial supermarket / butchers slogan from the eighties. Not bad in itself. But a bit “not the worst sausages, not the best sausages, but the ones you can afford.”
  • Options

Farooq said:

She literally did advocate for them though. Do you support her in that?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,694
    New BMG on the front of the I looks like
    Lab 42 (=)
    Con 20 (+1)
    Ref 16 (-3)
    LD 12 (+3)
    Green 5
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,852
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

I'm surprised more people aren't of the same mind. She endorsed the Communist Party. It's just as bad as endorsing fascists.
    She also writes about wizards so nobody should get vexed aboit her opinions. And she doesn’t get that in real life the evil boys in the evil house at boarding school like the blond Nazi wizard win not the gimpy twats like Harry Potter. Just look at Boris for example.
  • Options
    MiC finds Starmer won 56 - 44
  • Options
    Didn’t watch the debate. Can I have a PB view please?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,949

Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    BBS +
    @heraldscotland
    EXCLUSIVE: New Scotland Only Westminster poll, Survation 21-25 Jun (changes vs 23-27 May):

Lab ~ 37% (+1)
    SNP ~ 31% (-1)
    Con ~ 14% (-3)
    RUK ~ 8% (new)
    LD ~ 7% (-2)
    Grn ~ 3% (new)
    Alba ~ 1% (+1)

Big result for Alba, if true.
  • Options
    edited June 26

MiC finds Starmer won 56 - 44

However 30% felt Sunak performed better than expected, 19% for Starmer
    https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1806087624253456430?t=3PdhapuvgyKpOmXZuGRIRA&s=19
  • Options
    GrandcanyonGrandcanyon Posts: 105

It is interesting how Ukraine has really dropped from media interest. North Korea sending troops to fight for Russia is as far as I can see nowhere to be seen on BBC News front page.

Instead crucial stories like ChatGPT can write undergrad psychology essays are there. It might say something more about psychology as a degree than quality of AI....

Its too difficult and boring for the media now. No big sweeping advances just a boring war of attrition.
  • Options

Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    BBS +
    @heraldscotland
    EXCLUSIVE: New Scotland Only Westminster poll, Survation 21-25 Jun (changes vs 23-27 May):

Lab ~ 37% (+1)
    SNP ~ 31% (-1)
    Con ~ 14% (-3)
    RUK ~ 8% (new)
    LD ~ 7% (-2)
    Grn ~ 3% (new)
    Alba ~ 1% (+1)

Reform 8% in Scotland? Higher than the libdems?
    Shurely shome mishtake. Should be about 2%?u
    The LD vote share is perfectly believable. They are competitive in 5 seats, and lose their deposit in the other 50.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

She also writes about wizards so nobody should get vexed aboit her opinions. And she doesn’t get that in real life the evil boys in the evil house at boarding school like the blond Nazi wizard win not the gimpy twats like Harry Potter. Just look at Boris for example.
    Trouble is, a lot of people do take her opinions seriously.
    I... don't want communists to get a boost in popularity. I really, really don't.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,126
    Nigelb said:

I see the conservatives on the Supreme Court just ruled it's OK to bribe politicians, so long as you don't pay them in advance.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/todays-ruling-in-snyder-v-united-states/amp/

Shocking.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,195
    boulay said:

FF43 said:

Cracking article on the happy path that was Sunak's career. Until it wasn't.

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-rise-and-fall-of-rishi/

Cracking in the way a bitter journalist who really nobody will remember wants to find a way to make himself feel better.

What an absolute c. A journalist putting someone’s achievements on paper as a means of diminishing them when their own achievements are the tiniest woodlouse shit in the consciousness of the world.

It’s amazing how many journalists are so much more intelligent than those they write about but then, just stay average journalists.
    Remarkably aggressive.

Anyhow, journalists are there to report and maybe analyse. They don't need to have achievements. Prime ministers possibly do.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,878
    edited June 26

Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    BBS +
    @heraldscotland

Lab ~ 37% (+1)
    SNP ~ 31% (-1)
    Con ~ 14% (-3)
    RUK ~ 8% (new)
    LD ~ 7% (-2)
    Grn ~ 3% (new)
    Alba ~ 1% (+1)

Reform 8% in Scotland? Higher than the libdems?
    Shurely shome mishtake. Should be about 2%?u
    I remember Farage in Scotand a few years ago. He was virtually kicked out. Are chimps in the zoo taking this surveys.
    A friend in East Edinburgh told me that the Reform candidate “politely declined by letter” to attend a recent hustings.

Where’s that tub of lard when you need it?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Wolfgang Munchau in The New Statesman on the likely limits/folly of Starmer's "renegotiation":

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2024/06/brexit-keir-starmer-eu-uk-haunt-labour-government

That's actually a pretty sensible piece.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,441
    "Shortly there will be an election, in which Sir Keir Starmer will become Prime Minister."
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,528

He said it a lot. So if it isn’t an agreed soundbite, then Streeting is keen on it and doubling down.

It feels reminiscent of a provincial supermarket / butchers slogan from the eighties. Not bad in itself. But a bit “not the worst sausages, not the best sausages, but the ones you can afford.”
    With Labour we just have to hope for some over-delivery, because they’ve certainly got the under-promising nailed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,939

My view is that it was complete rubbish.
    (Though I didn't watch it either.)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,126

Glastonbury? The thought of actually ever going there is like a dream for me.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    boulay said:

FF43 said:

Cracking in the way a bitter journalist who really nobody will remember wants to find a way to make himself feel better.

What an absolute c. A journalist putting someone’s achievements on paper as a means of diminishing them when their own achievements are the tiniest woodlouse shit in the consciousness of the world.

It’s amazing how many journalists are so much more intelligent than those they write about but then, just stay average journalists.
    They are all incredibly intelligent until they have to deal with numbers....its like their Kryptonite.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    Andy_JS said:

That wasn't I am doing that, it was that attention will be focused on it.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,013
    edited June 26

I watched it.
    Sunak was indeed feisty, aggressive and assertive, and rather rude in his constant interruptions.
    Starmer was Starmer.
    Sunak's schtick was: vote Labour to raise taxes, raise immigration, and surrender to sundry enemies - regardless of the question asked. He forgot to mention that taxes and immigration (of all sorts) had indeed risen during the Tories' reign.
    Sunak pretended that the Tories had only been in power for 18 months.

It was rather like watching England v. Slovenia. A dull 0-0 draw without much goalmouth action.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Shocking.
    Not at all, they've apparently made many decisions which make prosecuting corruption very difficult.

In unconnected news, Supreme Court Justices can accept massive gifts with impunity and resist any interference with their positions as unacceptable.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    Talking of people who have gone mental by being on tw@tter too much. Laurence Fox might be needing to phone the lawyers again. He seems on a mission to bankrupt himself by tweet.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,789

Her incumbent MP is a Lib Dem, and Labour came fourth in 2019, so she wasn't going to have any opportunity to help end the Tory government anyway, thanks to FPTP.

There are two independent candidates in her constituency. I assume that she isn't voting for Nick Hornig, the cabbie who doesn't want to be penalised for people's "life choices" to ride bicycles, which means she must be intending to vote for David Henry, who appears to be pushing conspiracy theories about widespread sexual assault and paedophilia within the Liberal Democrats.

O-kay.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,128

I watched it.
    Sunak was indeed feisty, aggressive and assertive, and rather rude in his constant interruptions.
    Starmer was Starmer.
    Sunak's schtick was: vote Labour to raise taxes, raise immigration, and surrender to sundry enemies - regardless of the question asked. He forgot to mention that taxes and immigration (of all sorts) had indeed risen during the Tories' reign
    Sunak pretended that the Tories had only been in power for 18 months.

It was rather like watching England v. Slovenia. A dull 0-0 draw without much goalmouth action.
    And with Starmer as England and Sunak as Slovenia, I assume. Only Slovenia if they’d won the last Euros but were now unfancied.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    Amazon to launch discount section with direct shipping from China, the Information reports
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-launch-discount-section-direct-175532721.html

Just what we need, another Temu. Amazon is already bad enough becoming infested with dodgy products.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,013
    edited June 26
    IanB2 said:

It was a confident and combative but tetchy performance from Sunak, which got his attack points across but won’t have left viewers liking him any the more for it. Starmer was calmer and with a few effective digs at Sunak that got audience laughs, but the balance of the questions put him on the back foot at times. Starmer’s closing summary was the more persuasive. All IMHO.

The Tories are making the mistake of assuming that frightening people about Labour will drive votes back to them. Because it always used to work. But Labour isn’t that scary, and people now have other places to go.
    An afterthought on reflection. Starmer was trying to explain why people should vote Labour. Sunak was trying to explain why people shouldn't vote Labour. He made little effort to explain why people should vote Tory.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    Labour has administratively suspended its Islwyn Senedd member Rhianon Passmore from the party pending investigations into allegations regarding her actions. In a statement, Labour said "all complaints are investigated in accordance with the Party's complaints procedures."

The decision comes following an allegation on the Guido Fawkes website that Ms Passmore was seen driving a car with two different number plates. Guido Fawkes reported Ms Passmore was "spotted driving out of the Welsh Parliament's car park with her number plate hanging off, revealing a different one underneath."

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cekk99e3yjeo
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It was a confident and combative but tetchy performance from Sunak, which got his attack points across but won’t have left viewers liking him any the more for it. Starmer was calmer and with a few effective digs at Sunak that got audience laughs, but the balance of the questions put him on the back foot at times. Starmer’s closing summary was the more persuasive. All IMHO.

The Tories are making the mistake of assuming that frightening people about Labour will drive votes back to them. Because it always used to work. But Labour isn’t that scary, and people now have other places to go.
    And everyone knows that taxes are going up whoever wins. They just pretend not.

Sunak is just setting up the "told you so" for after his defeat. He has given up trying anything more than setting traps.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

And everyone knows that taxes are going up whoever wins. They just pretend not.

Sunak is just setting up the "told you so" for after his defeat. He has given up trying anything more than setting traps.
    It's what Sunak did in the Truss debates. He was right about that one to be fair, even if he's messed up all on his own since.

The only candidate at the hustings I attended who acknowledged the need to tax more to pay for everything we say we want and need was the independent socialist. The other 6 were all variations on taxing billionaires to pay for everything, unspecified talk of making taxes fairer, or ignored the point.
  • Options
    edited June 26

IanB2 said:

An afterthought on reflection. Starmer was trying to explain why people should vote Labour. Sunak was trying to explain why people shouldn't vote Labour. He made little effort to explain why people should vote Tory.
    Well, can you explain why they should? It's not an easy task to be fair, it's no wonder he is struggling with it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The attempt to paint Starmer as scary has felt a little half hearted to me. Perhaps we should all be afraid a lot more than we are of an unfettered Starmer with an uber-majority, but it doesn't seem to be moving the dial at all.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,658
    Andy_JS said:

Why don’t you just buy a ticket one year and go?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,852
    FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

Remarkably aggressive.

Anyhow, journalists are there to report and maybe analyse. They don't need to have achievements. Prime ministers possibly do.
    I have lost so much respect for journalists- not the ones on the local beats, finding out where Mrs X has been fucked over by the council. I mean the self obsessed Westminster journalists who don’t have a fucking clue how things work and the parasite opinion journalists who just sit there and criticise from a position of never ever actually achieving anything of note and don’t have the balls or the ability to achieve anything.

So they sit on the sidelines and snark but have no understanding of all the difficulty of being, say the PM, because all they do is write 300 words of shit. Then they wrote another 300 words about what another similar journalist has written. And they claim it’s news “apparently x has done this”, well yes, another journalist also said “apparently x has done this” so by someone writing it it becomes something you can write about rather than spending the fucking time finding out if it happened rather than just writing about what someone else has written about.
  • Options
    Do people just not bother to google things before the tweet things? I know people looking to stir up outrage or defend themselves don't care if they are rebutted, but it would still save some annoyance.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,331
    kle4 said:

Do people just not bother to google things before the tweet things? I know people looking to stir up outrage or defend themselves don't care if they are rebutted, but it would still save some annoyance.

Context?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Naomi Wolf talking shit shocker.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,595

Hopefully we can beat Slovakia. I am quite hopeful for Sunday evening

I am less confident of a CON majority

You think England have more chance of winning than the Conservatives?

#lowbar
    debateable for sure
  • Options
    kle4 said:

She's gone completely mental. Here's something she reposted today:

Pfizer is a profit maximizing company. It's hard to see how *deliberately* designing a vaccine to do any - let alone all - these things would do anything to maximize Pfizer's profits.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,813
    edited June 26
    a
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Context?
    @rcs1000 says "Naomi Wolf talking shit shocker."

So we've reduced the solution space by about half the universe. There's still a half universe to go, though.

EDIT: A good summation of NW, here - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/books/review-outrages-naomi-wolf.html
  • Options

Amazon to launch discount section with direct shipping from China, the Information reports
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-launch-discount-section-direct-175532721.html

Just what we need, another Temu. Amazon is already bad enough becoming infested with dodgy products.

I wonder if they are trying to segregate the crap. Will they end the practise of "binning", though?

For those who don't know - if multiple sellers are claiming to sell the same product, Amazon has been in the habit of putting the same product from different vendors in the same storage. So if some is fake, it gets mixed in with the real. IIRC one of the premium memory card manufacturers had to use lawsuits to stop the fakes being dumped on top of the ones they (the card manufacturer) were selling on Amazon.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,581
    edited June 26
    Nunu5 said:
    Christ we're going to get a royal commision and a betting crackdown aren't we? No flutters for Politically Exposed Persons...
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142
    edited June 26

Direct from China? Good luck getting a warranty.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Pfizer is a profit maximizing company. It's hard to see how *deliberately* designing a vaccine to do any - let alone all - these things would do anything to maximize Pfizer's profits.
    I think you are labouring under a misapprehension.

Naomi Woolf went full David Ike* quite a while back.

*https://youtu.be/X6WHBO_Qc-Q?si=9oQvgEoGIRMwchp4&t=83
  • Options
    edited June 26
    carnforth said:

Nunu5 said:
    Christ we're going to get a royal commision and a betting crackdown aren't we? No flutters for Politically Exposed Persons...
    We are slowly going through the different parties. Has anybody asked Nige if he likes a bet to go with his pint, packet of fags and copy of Putin's best speeches?

Then we can start to have a look at journalists. Can of worms has been opened.
  • Options
    edited June 26

I wonder if they are trying to segregate the crap. Will they end the practise of "binning", though?

For those who don't know - if multiple sellers are claiming to sell the same product, Amazon has been in the habit of putting the same product from different vendors in the same storage. So if some is fake, it gets mixed in with the real. IIRC one of the premium memory card manufacturers had to use lawsuits to stop the fakes being dumped on top of the ones they (the card manufacturer) were selling on Amazon.
    Perhaps. I know a couple of people who have legit businesses that sell on Amazon in the US and they are increasingly pissed off. They aren't dropped shipping crap, they are have products made specifically for them, safety tested, offer warranty etc. They mess up and they will their arse get sued.

Then Brand AFdfsdrfjkrter pops up from nowhere and spams the listings with similar products with fake reviews etc, with no guarantee they are properly safety tested etc, they get taken down and Brand Bfefrefefefe offering the same product pops up, rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,563
    kle4 said:

What a load of nonsense, the others are prepared to discuss it they just don't agree with Farage on it.

I see we're back to the idea quoting someone's views and responding to them is smearing though. What an absolute snowflake Farage and co are.
    Hmm. To be fair, whilst I think Farage is completely wrong, it is fair to say that most of the attacks I have seen on him have been along the lines of him being a Putin shill and a traitor rather than any reasoned response.

I mean, as an example, plenty of us on here could have given a reasoned response which would have demolished him but I haven't actually seen anyone bother. And that includes me. We have been content just to say rude things about him. Same goes for the wider press and commentators.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,916
    boulay said:

FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

Remarkably aggressive.

I have lost so much respect for journalists- not the ones on the local beats, finding out where Mrs X has been fucked over by the council. I mean the self obsessed Westminster journalists who don’t have a fucking clue how things work and the parasite opinion journalists who just sit there and criticise from a position of never ever actually achieving anything of note and don’t have the balls or the ability to achieve anything.

So they sit on the sidelines and snark but have no understanding of all the difficulty of being, say the PM, because all they do is write 300 words of shit. Then they wrote another 300 words about what another similar journalist has written. And they claim it’s news “apparently x has done this”, well yes, another journalist also said “apparently x has done this” so by someone writing it it becomes something you can write about rather than spending the fucking time finding out if it happened rather than just writing about what someone else has written about.
    I agree with you, although I would be less polite.
  • Options

Sunak was feisty and almost convincing, Starmer was wet, TSE was watching the football, I was watching the RLM review of the Acolyte: https://youtu.be/X-6WBWmoVEY?si=zuGCrP0Ct9WdbchX

Nobody really cared and it didn't change anything
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,377

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I don’t think she’s got over the humiliation of publishing a book based on an entirely false premise.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I don’t think she’s got over the humiliation of publishing a book based on an entirely false premise.
    You're going to have to narrow it down a bit for me.

I mean, are we talking about her first book, The Beauty Myth, which contained a bunch of made up statistics about the prevalence of anorexia.

Or are we talking about Vagina, where she waxed lyrical about neuroscience. And then pretty much every neuroscientist who read it said she didn't understand neuroscience.

Or perhaps you mean Misconceptions: Truth, Lies, and the Unexpected on the Journey to Motherhood, whose entire premise is "what I went through must be exactly the same as every other woman."

There's so many examples, it's hard to know where to start.
    Somebody who makes Johann Hari look good.
  • Options
    eek said:

The only reasonable view that you can take about the Ukraine is that you have to stop Putin from taking Ukraine because he will continue into Poland or elsewhere..... A line has to be drawn somewhere and at the moment the only thing we are being asked for is weapons and money...
    It's almost like somebody wrote an article on it...

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/05/02/why-ukraine-was-particularly-vulnerable/
  • Options
    Ouch....

Afghanistan bowled out for 56 after winning toss - their lowest ever T20 total
  • Options
    edited June 27
    Police are to take the lead in investigations into some of the allegations about bets placed by politicians on the general election.

Industry regulator the Gambling Commission will continue to lead inquiries into cases "where the alleged offending is limited to breaches of the Gambling Act only", a Metropolitan Police spokesperson told the BBC.

But detectives would be in charge of "a small number of cases" where other offences might also be involved, such as misconduct in public office, the spokesperson added.

BBC Newsnight understands that as many as 15 Conservative Party candidates and officials are being scrutinised by the commission.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cx8822q2jn8o

The Gambling Commission leaks like a sieve.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,906

kle4 said:

What a load of nonsense, the others are prepared to discuss it they just don't agree with Farage on it.

I see we're back to the idea quoting someone's views and responding to them is smearing though. What an absolute snowflake Farage and co are.
    Hmm. To be fair, whilst I think Farage is completely wrong, it is fair to say that most of the attacks I have seen on him have been along the lines of him being a Putin shill and a traitor rather than any reasoned response.

I mean, as an example, plenty of us on here could have given a reasoned response which would have demolished him but I haven't actually seen anyone bother. And that includes me. We have been content just to say rude things about him. Same goes for the wider press and commentators.
    I think there have been several reasoned responses to Farage's comment on here; the excuses he made for Russia's actions have been demolished fairly thoroughly before his comments as well.

So it then turns to *why* he said them. And in a way, that's more interesting.